Tamara's First Christmas - Chapter 6 "Schoolgirl Angela"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's First Christmas - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part Six

 
 

"Schoolgirl Angela"

 
 
 
Thursday 18th December
 

Tammy woke at seven and showered quickly, picking up the phone almost as soon as she was back in her bedroom.

“Good morning, Joan, is Angela there?”

“Hold on.”

“Hi, Tammy.”

“Hi, do you fancy breakfast in school?”

“Why?”

“You have fifteen minutes to wash and dress!”

“You!”

Tammy allowed Angela a few minutes more but had her father drive first to the cottage then onward to the school, arriving just after 7.50. “I'll collect you after the party,” were his words as he left.

Tammy knew that Angela had to get back into school before the end of the year, that way the first day back in the new year would simply seem like a normal day, with no fuss. Angela, however, couldn’t quite see it that way.

“Why am I here? Really?”

“Because you need to be.”

“But Jill said I wasn’t to be back before the new year?”

"If you want to change your mind I'll ask someone to collect you, but Jill doesn’t know you as well as I do."

“That’s true enough, but I’m not completely convinced.”

They walked into the refectory to find the room mostly filled and breakfast well under way, although many of the sixth form students had already finished having been served first. The two girls headed first for the sixth form tables and reserved two seats with their bags. Most of the boys didn’t notice them until the girls went to pick up a tray. The room started to go quiet and then there was a cacophony of whispers.

Angela wanted to crawl into a small hole, but couldn’t see one nearby. Tammy had a better idea, indeed a plan, and spun round to where the staff would be sitting. She caught the eye of the Deputy Head Mr Thompson who just nodded.

“Silence.”

Every eye in the room was now on Tammy, although Angela was convinced she was the target of their interest. From the sixth form table the other prefects now stood and moved towards each of the tables, able to watch every boy in the lower years.

“I feel I need to remind you that this is a refectory, not a talking shop. I and the other prefects will be ensuring that you remember that fact.”

Tammy indicated to Angela to turn and continue collecting their breakfast as if nothing had happened. They made it back to the table a minute later. As they sat there was another minor outburst of whispering from small pockets across the room. The prefects, still observing the urchins moved swiftly for a few choice words with the offenders. The whole process had taken under two minutes yet Tammy's authority had been made clear to the whole school.

In their meeting the previous lunchtime, convened in the common room, Tammy had discussed how to handle this kind of issue with the prefects. The easiest way was to make it a non-issue. Mr Thompson had been briefed on their plan so had not intervened himself.

The prefects were also present in the corridors for the start of lessons today as well as during the break after the first two periods. This was not a new way of keeping discipline but was rarely needed. The staff were grateful for the help they received, as it kept actual discipline issues to a minimum. There was however an air of excitement particularly in the lower years, as the school's Christmas meal for the pupils was that evening. The sixth formers were allowed their own function as many would be supervising the meal and any exuberance later.

None of the sixth formers had classes today but their party still didn’t start until two. This meant there was plenty of time for a coffee and a chat in the common room, at least that’s what Angela was told. In practice, however, many sixth-formers would be using the time to pack their cases once the meeting was concluded.

“Hi, Tammy.”

“Hi John, thanks for your help this morning.”

“It was fun, especially putting those eleven-year-old brats down in front of their mates.”

“What did you say to them?”

“That they would be in the new yellow gingham dress uniform by the end of the day, running around the track. That is if they can find the track under the snow!”

“John, is there really going to be a girl's dress uniform?”

“No Angela, I was making it up,” he smiled, “in case you’d forgotten the school isn’t taking girls below the sixth form yet.”

Tammy laughed at John’s reply but Angela still felt uncomfortable.

“Angela, it really was just a joke. Go and sit down, I’ll get a coffee for us.”

John Hibbert had been Tammy’s main contact at the school after she moved out of the boarding house, when she became Tammy. He had worked since Monday to ensure that the two girls had a respectable reception from the rest of the sixth form. The odd boy who’d questioned the new arrangements had found life uncomfortable for a few days. Tammy didn’t need to know the methods used, just that no-one had been harmed.

In turn, John had been grateful to Tammy — she’d introduced him to Tanya Smith. Their relationship had blossomed during the run up to West Side Story at the town’s theatre where they’d both been in the cast, as had Tammy.

The other sixth formers began to gather in the common room within a few minutes, whilst all had met Tammy the previous day, most hadn’t come across Angela before. Tim Small — Angela’s previous identity — had been a quiet student who rarely used the common room — his father hadn't wanted him to mix with the other boys. So, although Tim — now Angela — had been a sixth former for well over a year, she had probably not been in the room more than ten times previously: understandably, she felt somewhat uncomfortable.

Tammy had stood to greet the new arrivals and remained as such as most took their seats. The last one, James Hunter, closed the heavy wooden door. Their privacy was now assured.

“Thank you, everyone. As you should all know by now Angela Small has returned to the school but won't start lessons until January. Given that the end of year party is this afternoon, I can't see that having a huge impact on her education.”

That comment generated a laugh from the venerable sixth formers.

“Plainly, the news about her father has hit Angela hard so please be understanding. I hope we can also set an example to the lower years by not discussing the matter. Thank you.”

The sixth formers started dispersing a few minutes later, with most welcoming Angela. A few, however, had obvious contempt, this included James Hunter.

“Tom, I mean Tammy, I'm sorry but it's best if I don't say anything to her.” He jabbed his finger in Angela's direction even so he didn't need to. Tammy knew exactly who he meant. “You're okay though.”

James walked away without waiting for a response. Tammy had guessed there would be problems but hoped that her new close friend hadn't heard any of the one-sided exchange. Looking across the room she saw Angela talking to a couple of the more sensible boys.

A phone rang in a corner of the room, John Hibbert answered it quietly and took a short message.

“Angela, can you and Tammy go to the Head's office?”

“Any idea why, John?” Angela was a little unsure.

“No, that was all Mrs Adams said.”

Angela was feeling more secure after talking to many of the sixth formers, fortunately she had missed the snide comments by James and one other. A summons to the Head was not welcome, however, and this showed on her face as she relayed the message to Tammy.

“It's probably nothing. Let's get going before they call again.”

It took a few minutes for them to get down to the office. Mrs Adams, the Head's secretary, was waiting for them but shepherded them into her own office before closing the door.

“What's going on?” Now it was Tammy's turn to be anxious.

“Don't worry dear, it's about tomorrow.” The girls were even more confused now.

“Firstly, all the female staff wear a frock at the school staff party and I'd like you two to join in. Feel free to go over the top, if you know what I mean.”

“Like tinsel and glitter.”

“Yes, but try not to wear anything that'll give the older teachers a coronary.”

“Hmm, no stockings then?”

“That's up to you but make sure your suspenders can't be seen!”

Angela was feeling a little left out of this conversation so kept quiet.

“What's up Angela? Cat got your tongue?”

“Nothing, it's just ....”

“You've nothing to wear? Don't worry about that.”

“Angela, we'll find something for you.”

“We will. Go and collect your coats and bags, we've got some retail therapy to occupy us, I'm allowed a few hours off this time of year for emergency shopping.”

She sent them out of her office with instructions to meet her in the rear car park in ten minutes. Angela was dragged along by Tammy, who was wearing 'sensible' heels this morning. When they reached the cloakroom Tammy took her coat, bag and a pair of boots from her locker, placing her low-heeled sandals in the locker in their place.

Behind her she heard a curse then Angela sobbing. “Why, why?”

In her hand was a typed note. Tammy took it.

“You're not welcome here. Give up, go away and never return.”

It was remarkably polite, perhaps because of the high standard of education the school provided. That at least made Tammy sure it was from a pupil and not from outside the school. She'd ruled out that it would have been a member of the teaching staff — they were either in classes or in a senior masters’ meeting in the conference room. What also crossed her mind was that the note hadn't been there an hour earlier when they'd arrived.

“Don't worry about the cretin. He's plainly got nothing else to do, poor fellow.”

Angela didn't hear Tammy's poor attempt at humour, which was just as well. She had sat on a bench so Tammy sat next to her and wrapped her arm around her friend. Nothing was said, but Angela was handed a tissue to dry her eyes.

She looked up to see John Hibbert, who now had the note in his hand. “We'll sort it out, get going, Mrs Adams sent me to chase you along.”

Tammy helped Angela to her feet then picked up both of their shoulder bags. John, meanwhile, held Angela's coat open. Tammy showed her a small mirror she had recently installed on the inside of her locker door, suggesting Angela fix her face before they finally made their way to the rear car-park.

They found Mrs Adams walking back into the main school building.

“Where have you been?” The question was uttered before Janet Adams had seen their faces. She persuaded them into her car with Angela up front before anything else was said.

Very few words were said in the car, Janet concentrated on the worsening road whilst the girls considered the note, which Tammy had retrieved from John. Janet parked in the town centre and walked to Sarah Bonney's boutique, the girls shuffling behind, not paying much attention. Tammy woke from her thoughts as they reached the doorway. “Oh.”

“Don't dawdle! Get in here and close that door!” Sarah was ever mindful of costs, even though business was certainly up right now. Given recent arguments with the bank this was no time for complacency.

“Right, good morning Janet, Tammy and Angela. This is unexpected, I'll put the kettle on.” Sarah disappeared into the back of the shop, Tammy decided to follow..

“Sarah, I'm sorry I haven't been able to work for the past week or two.”

“I quite understand, but I need you this weekend if you're free.”

“I'll check with Dad, but I think it'll be okay.”

“Right, now what's going on? You're supposed to be in school and Angela's face is awful. Is it her father still?”

“No, someone has decided they don't like her and left a note. She'll get over this, I'll make sure of it.”

“Unfortunately we can expect some hassle, look what happened to you?”

“That's how I've taken it, but I don't think Angela's as strong as me, especially considering .....” She left the last few words hanging.

“So, why aren't you in school?” Janet Adams explained their mission while Sarah poured the coffee and found a packet of biscuits.

By now, Tammy had persuaded Angela out of her coat and sent her to a bigger mirror to redo her makeup properly. This time a hairbrush was also employed. “That looks better,” was the verdict by the other three when she'd finished. That put a wry smile back on her face, which vanished almost as fast as it had appeared.

“Why don't they like me? Am I a freak?”

“No, you're not, but we can't please everybody so don't expect to,” Janet told her firmly. Angela nodded, then reached into her bag and pulled out a tissue, blowing her nose noisily.

“Hmm, we'll have to work on that!” Tammy was a little cruel and received a hard stare in response. The shop descended into laughter after that, the mood lifting just enough so they could get on with the main business.

The four girls spent the next hour searching through Sarah's stock, including a rail hidden at the back of the storeroom.

“I remember these!”

“Yes, Tammy, I bought this stock a year ago but no-one wanted it then, not enough teenage girls in the town, at least not enough shopping in here.”

“I want this one, if I remember it's my size.” She reached over and found the tag, exactly where it had been a year earlier when Tom had been so tempted to try it on. Tammy now had no such problem.

“Come on Angela, I think that one will fit you.”

“I'm not sure.”

“Don't be silly, young lady. It's perfect. One thing's certain though, you'll be the belles of the party.

They would miss lunch at school whilst being in town, especially as appropriate lingerie now had to be purchased, perhaps even shoes and a bag too. Tammy was ready for this but Angela wasn't.

"I can't afford the dress."

"Angela, I'll tell you what I'll do. I'll lend you the dress but you need to tell as many as possible where you found it. If at least five come in and ask, there's no charge."

"What if only four turn up?"

"Then I might ask you for the cleaning charge."

"What would that be?"

"About twenty pounds."

"I can afford that."

"Good, just don't ruin it!"

With the frocks sorted they headed to find suitable lingerie. Tammy decided to be a little daring so bought her first suspender belt, to match her bra and knickers set of course. A few pairs of stockings were added. Angela was having trouble, her dress demanded a strapless bra but in a skin-tone rather than the white she already had.

Janet suggested lunch before they continued. Tammy was going to suggest the usual hotel bar but Janet seemed to be heading towards a small place, Le Bistro, on Traill St. As this was another 'new' location for Angela she tensed up again. Tammy was realising that this was not entirely due to her change of identity but more connected with the closeted life her father had forced on her, in both senses. Now was not the time to raise that.

They had arrived at midday when the restaurant opened and, as they were eating light, didn't stay very long, only an hour. This was just a stop-gap before the sixth form party for Tammy and Angela. They still needed to check shoes to match the dress but Angela simply asked if she could wear the black pumps she already had. Tammy had an idea that Joan might be a size six or seven so would ask when she had a chance.

They arrived back at the school at quarter past two. The pair went up to the sixth form common room, which was now the home to a party, although the music was turned down very low and the boys all had limited conversational skills. Heads turned as the two girls entered the room, this being another opportunity for the boys to be re-acquainted with the former male students.

First, however, John Hibbert brought a sallow-looking James Hunter over.

"Yes, James?" Tammy could guess what this was about.

"I'm sorry."

"I don't think it's me you should be saying sorry to, come here Angela."

"What is it Tammy?"

"James would like to say something."

"Oh."

"I'm sorry, I've said some horrible things."

"Including a note?"

"No, but I know who did."

"Are you going to tell me?"

"I've told John, it's one of the lower years."

"Okay, and I accept your apology."

Angela dragged Tammy across the room to a quiet corner.

"What was that about?" She hissed.

"He said some things to me about you not being welcome here, plainly he was overheard."

"Weren't you going to tell me?"

"I wanted to talk to him first, but John got there before me."

"Oh."

"Look, don't let them see you upset, you can use that emotion when it's really needed. I'll show you where the female staff loo is, the one that we've been told to use, you need to tidy up your face."

"Yes ma'am."

up
414 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

being not welcome

its always a danger for people like us, isn't it?

DogSig.png

the common room

wow, I never went into the common room and was always picked upon, I hated my school years. Perhaps that was the first signs of not quite fitting in amongst may others! poor Angela. Just like the girls, I know find shopping the best therapy, giggles

A little bumpy

Podracer's picture

and Angela fixates on the bad things, blowing them up into "everyone" :(

"Reach for the sun."

I would thinking that is

I would thinking that is conditioned reflex due to the way her father forced her and her mum to live, especially as she was growing up. I really believe that it would make no difference if she was still Tim or Angela. She is right now "damaged goods' and Tammy has definitely picked up on that issue and is trying to assist her in moving out of it and on with her new life. Angela, in my very humble opinion, will find as she goes along, that she is one strong young woman; it will just take a little time or perhaps some semi-serious incident to bring it out in her.

Such A Shame

joannebarbarella's picture

Angela has 99% acceptance but gets hung up on the 1% who are dickheads. She has to learn that the idiots are always with us. Her father was one after all.

It is odd,

The 1% issue (or more) is exactly what my councilor worked on when I first started transition. She must know what she is doing, it worked. It can hurt, but I can shrug it off much better now. Oddly enough, it helps me pass better too.

In Angela's case...

Her transition is only part of the reason the dimwits have a problem with her - the dismissal and subsequent suicide of her dad, an influential governor, also plays a part (as exemplified by James, who stated he had no problem with Tammy).


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

In for a shock

Jamie Lee's picture

No matter the school, public or private, they are not the real world. They are controlled institutions which direct students as they attend the school. The students only deal with school staff or other students, they don't deal with anyone much different than themselves.

All of that changes when they get out of school, when they either go on to higher education or work. And whether they have to find work while continuing they education or have schooling paid for.

Those who go on to find work or have to work while continuing on, encounter people from all walks of life, and it's how they respond which can determine how long they stay employed. Should they act like a twit towards a customer who they deem weird, the business could have just lost a customer and future sales. Done several times, after being warned, and it's in the bag that a sack will occur.

The lower levels at the school need to be sat down and have explained how the cow ate the cabbage. Have it explained that had they acted like they did in the real world, they would not only be looking for a new job but legal action against them as well.

Some people will let snide comments roll off their backs without further thought. But some will take exception and either take a person to court or rearrange their face with force.

Those boys live a sheltered life, a life which doesn't mimic the real world, so there isn't a lot of serious repercussions when snide comments are said. A slap on the wrist doesn't hurt half as much as a fist to the face.

That apologies were offered and accepted by the sixth former is a good start to show the lower levels how to act around those who are different. Now it's the turn of the lower level who wrote the note to apologize and take any lumps given out.

Others have feelings too.