Life Is Not A Bowl Of Cherries~5

Printer-friendly version

As I walked down the hill to the quay with Pippa and Jen, I marveled how things had changed for me in a few short days...

Life Is Not A Bowl Of Cherries

A Penmarris Story At Christmas

By Susan Brown




Chapter 5

Previously …

‘Do you skate?’

‘Roller skate?’

‘No, ice skate; there’s a cool rink down by the harbour. It’s there every year at Christmas.’

‘That’s right,’ said Jen excitedly. We’re going down there a bit later. It’s nice with all the lights and everything. Do say you’ll come.’

‘I don’t have skates.’

‘You can hire them.’

‘I don’t know...’

‘Girls, don’t pester her. She’s been through a lot and is probably too tired...’

Of course I treated that comment as a challenge.

‘When are you going?’

‘After tea; first we have go to the stables to feed and bed down Poppy and Rosie and then we’ll go on from there.’

I looked at Jocasta.

‘Would you mind?’

‘Of course not, it’s up to you and you don’t have to ask.’

‘Okay, I’ll come.’ I said with a grin.

Things were looking up, just a little bit.

And now the story continues…

It was strange being with a family again. Several times on my travels I had been fostered out to families, but this was the first one that didn’t treat me as someone strange or as an outsider. To be fair, I wasn’t exactly good foster child material and I did little to ingratiate myself to those families.

Alright, I do admit it; I don’t think that it was all their fault. I wasn’t an easy person to live with and had what is popularly known as “issues”. I never felt that I could trust or confide in anyone before I met Jocasta. Being in the system meant that to a lot of my carers I was just another one of many that had to be looked after, not out of love, but because it was their job to do so. I don’t mean that they were uncaring, but love was for family members and not for the likes of me.

Anyway, enough of this navel gazing; I was trying to be upbeat and had no reason not to be. The problem of finding my mum could be put aside for a short while so that I could enjoy myself a bit.

As I walked down the hill to the quay with Pippa and Jen, I marveled how things had changed for me in a few short days. From being an inmate of an unhappy home and not looking forward to anything, I was now with a couple of nice girls and staying with a family that had real love for each other.

Both of the girls were dressed similarly to me, with jumpers, jeans, hats, scarves and woolly hats. It wasn’t that cold, being in the south west of the country meant that winters weren’t as harsh as up North, but we were supposed to be skating and skating was an icy pursuit, hence the warm clothing.

Now that it had become dark, most of the cottages and houses on the way down were festooned with pretty lights of all colours. It appeared that there was some sort of competition between many of the residents, as it was obvious that they were trying to outdo the neighbours in the extravagance of their Christmas decorations.

‘Hello Jen, Pippa, Katie,’ said one lady going up the hill as we passed. It took a few moments to realise that she knew who I was. Now how could have that happened?

Then the same thing occurred twice more and I began to wonder what sort of village this was. Did everyone know about me? I think that if someone had said, ‘hello Ben,’ I would have died on the spot!

It was noticeably noisier as we got closer to the quay, where, according to Pippa and Jen, everything happened at Christmas.

First I could see the glow of the lights, then a strange mixture of smells including everything from roasting chestnuts to fish and chips. Then I could hear the sound of a street organ and some pop songs both vying for ascendancy.

As we reached the bottom of the hill, more and more people were milling about and the scene was gorgeous and everything that I would wish for at Christmas. On one side of me was Pippa and on the other Jen, we were arm in arm and in a second, I completely forgot all my troubles and dived into a feeling of happiness that I had never experienced before as, with eyes wide open, I took in the scene before me.

There were bright twinkling lights everywhere and all along the quay to the promenades beyond. The huge Christmas tree was resplendent with hundreds of twinkling coloured bulbs and its large, scantily dressed angel on top. The floodlit harbour looked wonderful against the dark sky; many boats looking like nautical Christmas trees with lights hanging from the masts and spars. Everywhere was a picture of colour and festivity. I thought that Penmarris was very pretty in the daylight, but now the village looked like a magic fairyland that out-Disneyed Disney!

Along the front were Christmas stalls selling lots of seasonal delights including sweets, hot and cold food, gifts, candles, decorations and toys. To the side were lots of children watching what looked like some sort of Christmas themed Punch and Judy and there were squeals of delight when Punch, dressed as Santa, knocked the policeman’s helmet off.

‘Come on,’ said Jen as she dragged me along the quay, through the crowds, towards an ice rink, with Pippa helping her.

The ice rink had lots of people on it, of all ages and skills. There were few flash ones, doing the twists and twirlie things, but the vast majority were just going around in circles, hanging on for dear life around the edges or falling down.

I would be in the hanging on and falling down categories.

As soon as I put my boots on, I knew that I was skating on thin ice (get it?). I wasn’t much good and I just tottered around and fell on my backside. Being an obstinate so and so, I fell over several times more before I got the message that I wouldn’t be an ice skating star. After that, I got intimately acquainted with the rails around the edge of the rink as Pippa and Jen went around and around looking almost professional. I hate people that can do that, don’t you?

As I watched Jen and Pippa, other girls came over and after squeals of laughter; they all skated over to me.

‘This is the gang,’ said Jen and they all sort of waved at me.

‘Hi gang.’ I said.

‘Hi Katie,’ they replied, almost in unison.

‘Right,’ said Pippa over the sound of the Christmas muzak, ‘This is Bethany; Candice, her mum is the doctors receptionist, that idiot over there putting her tongue out is Sarah, Lady F’s daughter. Amy, the one with the red hair out of a bottle is Abby, the potter’s niece and finally Hannah, the quiet shy one is Sam and Abby’s daughter. Everyone, this is Katie, who turned up on our doorstep, with a suitcase and an attitude, but she’s quite nice really.’

I didn’t know whether to be annoyed or laugh at that character assassination but I shrugged. It was Christmas after all and I could always murder her in the new year!

After all the introductions we did some more skating and I managed to stay on my feet – sometimes, it was difficult to concentrate as everyone was giggling and laughing all the time.

Afterwards, we handed back our skates and everyone decided on getting some hot chestnuts. As I walked along trying to avoid burning my hands as I ate my bag of chestnuts, I got to know the others a little better. I expected to be bombarded with questions about my past, but it seemed like they had some unwritten rule or agreement not to pump me for any information. I didn’t have to say much and I think that they collectively sensed that I was a bit shy and not used to being the centre of any attention, so they went easy on me.

It was as nice as it was unusual to be accepted at face value. I was hardly what you would call a popular child in the various institutions that I had lived in; being uncomfortable around others had been the norm for me. I had always been defensive and prickly but I couldn’t do that around these girls, as I was too busy laughing at their antics and what they said.

Somehow we found ourselves in the café and sat around a table. Whilst drinking hot cocoa to keep out the cold, the others kept up a conversation without any help from me.

‘So Sarah,’ said Amy ‘is your mum ready for Christmas yet?’

‘She had better be. I have given her my list...’

‘Demands you mean,’ interrupted Pippa.

‘No I don’t. Can you imagine Mummy Dear giving in to demands?’

‘You have a point,’ said Bethany, ‘she scares the pants off me.’

‘Do you know, she actually made me clean the grates out last year? Ruined my nails, that did... you know what she said?’

‘No,’ everyone said.

‘Sara gel, you will be the death of me. If yer were a horse, I would have shot yer, years ago. How many times have I told yer ter keep yer rooms tidy? Yer can’t have the maids waitin on yer, hand and foot all the time, in my day...’

‘Sarah, you are a fibber,’ said Jen, ‘ take no notice Katie, Lady Fairbairn is as nice as pie under that gruff exterior.’

‘Lady Fairbairn, who’s she?’

‘Apart from being my adopted mum, she’s the local bigwig, has pots of money and lives in a mansion.’

‘Oh, does she own a Rolls Royce?’

‘Two.’

‘Two?’

‘Yup, anyway what about her Roller?’

‘I think that she doesn’t like me?’

‘Why?’ asked Jen.

‘Because earlier today, I was crossing the road and her car had to stop suddenly otherwise I might have got squashed. There was a chauffeur driving and he seemed nice but the lady in the back -if looks could kill...’

‘Was she wearing a hat with dead things on it?’ asked Hannah.

‘She had a hat on and I could see some feathers, no animals that I could see; although I only saw her for a moment.’

‘Sounds like her,’ said Sarah, ‘Mummy’s bark is worse than her bite, unless you are a mole.’

They all laughed.

‘Eh?’

‘You’ll find out,’ said Bethany mysteriously.

We stayed for a while longer, but I started yawning hugely. Like the previous day, this one had been a long one and I needed my beauty sleep. The next day promised to be another full one and I just told the others that I needed to get back to the vicarage.

Jen and Pippa said that they ought to get back too, before their mum sent out the search parties and sniffer dogs and so we said goodbye to everyone, after promising to meet up the next day, if possible. I was a bit surprised before leaving that there was some sort of group hug and I was included!

Outside, things were still going in full swing, but the Punch and Judy show had shut up shop and many of the little ones had obviously gone home with their parents.

As we walked up the hill, Jen and Pippa kept up a constant chatter and were bickering about just about everything including which pony was the better jumper and which one of them would have better exam results. I just listened to them and wouldn't get drawn into their arguments. What was obvious though, was the fact that despite the arguments they loved each other very much. Being effectively orphaned, I appreciated this probably more than they did. They took family for granted and I couldn't really comprehend what it would be like to be part of a real family, although what I had seen so far made me long for what they had.

Soon, we arrived back at the vicarage and Jocasta came out of the sitting room to greet us.

‘Did you have a nice time girls?’

‘Yes, it was brill!’ said Jen enthusiastically.

‘What about you Katie, did you enjoy yourself?’

‘Yes, it was great; Pippa and Jen have some nice friends.’

Suddenly, I yawned.

‘You must be tired dear, why don't you head on up to your room. Your case and everything is up there.’

‘I will. Thanks for having me and thank you Jen and Pippa for helping me have a nice time.’

Both the girls looked embarrassed about what I said and mumbled something and rushed off somewhere.

‘Despite everything,’ said Jo, ‘they are good girls and have hearts of gold. Now, do you want something to drink before you go up?’

‘No thanks, I had a drink down by the quay. It's a lovely place, Penmarris, isn't it?’

‘Yes, it's a magical place to live. We aren't perfect here, but not many people want to leave after being here for a while. I hope that you find your mum locally and that everything works out for you.’

‘So do I, I would love to stay here. Anyway, goodnight and thanks for putting me up.’

It took a while to completely remove my makeup, slip on my pyjamas and get into bed; one of the downsides, if you can call it that, of being a girl. I did stand at the window for a few minutes to drink in the view though. The harbour was down below and from my vantage point; I could see it quite clearly.

My eyes widened as I could see a large yacht come into the harbour, fully lit up and looking very sleek, elegant and plush, if they were the right adjectives. It looked like the one that I saw on Google maps and I wondered who might own her and why she was here in a little tucked away harbour that barely had room to moor it.

I yawned. This was no good, I was tired and I needed to be fresh for the morning. I was going to try and see if the owner of The Seashells was in and maybe, just maybe I might find where my mum had got too.


~*~

I awoke the next morning refreshed and ready to face the world with a song in my voice and full of the joys of Christmas...

Enough of fantasy, I was dealing with reality here. I had spent the night tossing and turning, wondering what I was to do if I couldn’t find my mum. I had no real answers to that. I would have loved to stay in Penmarris, but I had to be realistic. I was 16 years old, with no job or home. I couldn’t stay where I was, in the vicarage and I would have to find some sort of job to keep me going and I doubted that there would be many jobs available in the mid-winter at a seaside resort. As soon as Christmas was over, I would imagine this place would return to being a sleepy seaside village.

It was Christmas Eve now and much as I would like to celebrate Christmas, I wasn’t feeling very festive.

Looking out of the window, I saw that it was drizzly outside and I could barely see the harbour through the mist and rain. Putting on the robe that had been kindly provided to me by Jo, I grabbed my wash bag and went out of the room, across the hall and into the bathroom.

I could hear noises coming from downstairs. It seemed like I was the last one up, although it was only 8.30.

By 9 o’clock I was dressed in jeans and top, and ready to face the day, whatever that would bring.

The kitchen was empty apart from Jocasta.

‘Morning Katie; did you sleep well?’

‘Yes,’ I lied.

‘Hmm, those dark circles under your eyes, even beneath the makeup tell a different story. Are you worried about today?’

‘A bit,’ I said.

‘Do you want me to come with you to The Seashells?’

‘Thanks, but I think that I need to do this by myself.’

‘I understand; whatever happens, you must come back and tell me about it. Do you promise?’

I nodded.

Nothing more was said on the subject and I ate my cornflakes in silence as Jo pottered about the kitchen.

Looking outside, I could see that it was still raining.

‘Jo, have you an umbrella I could borrow?’

‘It’s a bit windy for that. You haven’t got a waterproof jacket?’

‘No and I don’t think that my coat was designed for this kind of weather.' ’I can lend you an anorak, if that would help? It should fit you.’

‘Thanks, that would be great.’


~*~

As I walked along Beach Road for the second time, I wondered if Miss Stevens, the current owner would be in. She may have been visiting relatives, being Christmas Eve. It was a bit wet and miserable and I was glad of Jo’s sky blue anorak, even though the colour didn’t exactly match today’s sky! I was warm enough though as I was wearing Jeans, top and a hoodie over that, together with my boots.

As I neared my destination, the rain stopped and the sun started peeking through the clouds. Pushing my hood back, I finger combed my hair. Luckily it wasn’t unruly and was cut in such a way as to be easily manageable, if a bit short for my taste.

A few minutes later, I had arrived at the gate of the cottage. This time, I could see a light in an upstairs window, so I knew that Miss Stevens was in.

I swallowed nervously, opened the gate and walked up the path. Knocking at the door, I stepped back a pace and waited for the door to be opened. I could hear the sound of footsteps coming nearer and then the door opened.

‘Yes?’

She was, I would say in her early thirties, wearing a black skirt and cream coloured top. Her hair was long, straight and blond.

I was struck dumb for a moment and then pulled my act together,

‘Erm, Miss Stevens?

‘Yes, that’s me. Can I help you?’

‘I...I...I was told that Mrs Young lived here a while back. I wondered i...if you have the address she moved to.’

‘Who are you?’

She didn’t sound very friendly.

‘S...someone she used to know.’

She looked at me with piercing eyes.

‘I’m sorry, she didn’t give me any address that she was going to. I have to go, I have something in the oven; goodbye.’

She closed the door in my face.

I stared at the knocker for a few minutes, willing for it to open again, but it didn’t.

Turning away, I went down the path and out of the gate. In some quirky way, the weather had brightened into what now looked like a spring day, with the roads drying out rapidly.

Walking down the hill, I soon found myself back on the seafront.

Sitting on a bench, facing the white beach and the blue sea, I rummaged through my bag and took out my small mirror, the one I used to do my makeup.

Staring at my face, I confirmed what I already knew from years of looking at it in the mirror.

Miss Stevens looked remarkably like me.

Unless I was very much mistaken, Miss Stevens was, in fact, Carol Young.

My mum.


To Be Continued...



Please leave comments and kudo thingies...thanks! ~Sue



MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF MY READERS.

up
389 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

i had a sneaking suspicion

i had a sneaking suspicion that was going to be the case

A mystery!

Well, is mumsie in witness protection or something like that? Or is she just a hard nosed bitch who does not want to be burdened? OTOH, she does not know that Katie was the Son she gave up for adoption so why would she think Katie was her kid?

Oh, I changed my mind about Google wanting to learn from Penmarris. No, it is the Quantum Computer people who are now interested as they don't know how Penmarris exceeds quantum entanglement speeds and am afraid their technology is obsolete right out of the starting gate!

Edit: Oh, and an interesting meetup with the local T-girl posse :).

mmmm! tricky situation

I do hope it turns out well and if Mrs. Stevens is Mummy she comes around to the right view.

A Christmas Cliffhanger?

Thank you so much for your Christmas present, Susan! I do detect a bit of coal at the bottom of the stocking, however. Still, knowing how you write, you shall right that indigestible bit forthwith! Lest the Spirit of Christmas needs visiting you in the near future. ;-)

SuZie

Penmaris sounds lovely when

Penmaris sounds lovely when it is lighted up for the Christmas Season. It is always nice to find locations that love to really get involved in bringing special lights to everyone.

Oh My!

I have faith that it will all work out for our heroine. Thanks for the new story Sue.

I Wonder What Would Have Happened

littlerocksilver's picture

... if she had introduced herself properly? Never mind, the question's moot.

Portia

Past Penmaris episodes.

I am trying to remember if that cottage was mentioned in other stories, and who was in it, and how it all fit? Memory is no good today.

Merry Christmas

Gwen

Merry Christmas, Susan

koala's picture

and thanks - very much - for a Penmarris story to tide us all over the festive season. It's the sort of present with which even Lady F could not find fault.

Koala

Inside every older person is a young person wondering what the heck happened.

Penmarris

Did Carol Young/Miss Stevens appear in the earlier Penmarris stories? Which ones were they anyway? I forget.

The Search Function Here...

...doesn't show any listings for "Carol Young" or "Margaret Stevens" other than this story.

Eric

There Must Be A Reason

joannebarbarella's picture

It's obviously her mum, but she is suspicious of strangers and she doesn't know she has a daughter. Katie needs some help from her friends.

After a long absence from

WebDeb's picture

After a long absence from visiting this site, I decided to come back and peruse in stealth mode. I'm glad I did! I never forgot how good Susan Brown's stories are and she was the first author I looked for here.

Sure enough this latest story of Susan's is not disappointing me. It is heartwarming and stirs the emotions. My Enid Blyton fix in modern times.

As for the plot so far. Katie's mother obviously is hiding a secret about herself. I think I know what it may be but I wont give my theory away just in case I assumed correctly.