Hiring of Elaine Hall – 5

Printer-friendly version


Hiring of Elaine Hall – 5



By Jessica C


I woke first at 6:00 a.m. and tried to will myself back to sleep. I stirred and finally got up at 6:35, I made some coffee and turned on the radio. In another few minutes, Ashley was knocking at the door to upstairs. I still had on my nightgown so I grabbed my robe and let her into my apartment.

Ashley was bright-eyed, hugging a cup of tea and curling up on the sofa as we sat having a girl talk. “You looked so beautiful last night; I hope you weren’t angry with me for making you the center of our attention. …I hope you don’t go back to your ugly self. It takes some adjustment to have a girl’s spirit.”

I asked, “And what would you know about the adjustment are you saying girls have to adjust as well?”

“I was a street rat,” she said. “Mom took me in or I was going to prison as an adult.” It was hard to believe the lively teen girl across from me could have come from the streets. She does not look as tough as she must have been. Ashley spoke again, “I remember when Cathy shampooed my hair and tried to make me look like an ordinary girl. There wasn’t one inside, you know what that feels like.”

“Mom isn’t expecting you to become or stay a woman, but Elaine’s spirit will probably need to stay if you’re not to go back to the stinking guy you can be.” It is dawning on me that Bridgette probably asked Ashley to bounce down here and help with reprograming me.

I spoke up with a little attitude creeping in, “So, your Mom asked you to come down here and give me a little pep talk to start my day?”

Ashley turns an angry red, “O what’s your name that upsets me! In your stinkin’ thinkin’ you would think about my Mom doing something like that! I came down because I heard your radio and we’re the only ones up. I’m sorry to disturb you.” Ashley is up and setting her cup down to leave. “But if you try to hurt my Mom, you will see this Street Rat tear you apart!”

I am up and blocking her route to the door. “No, please don’t go. Forgive me, please. I’m sorry, as you say it’s the way I see things.” We are almost nose to nose but not touching as we both begin to relax. We both had our hands up to stop the other and it is awkward. Part of me is afraid of offending Ashley and how her mother would respond to it.

She smiles just a little, “Are you really sorry, or saying it because I’m upset?”

I tell her, “No, I’m proud of you. I could see my daughter defending her Mom like that too. Her Mom, Julie is a remarkable woman, but I’m kind of frightened what Robin’s going to think of me like this.”

I can see Ashley look at me, thinking what a young girl might think of her father dressed as I am. She smiles a little more. “Sit and tell me where your brush is. We can talk as I help get you ready.” She walked into the bathroom and came out with my brush and comb. She starts to brush my hair as she begins to talk again. I’m sitting up in a kitchen chair. I was afraid she might brush hard, but she’s gentle. I can see her reflection in the mirror; she knows what she is doing.

Once she’s done, she asks, “Pink, red or cranberry?” I’m not sure what she’s asking about. “For your nails and lips today? I think if you present yourself well it will be easier on her. If my dad was dressed as a girl, I wouldn’t want him looking like a drag queen.”

I say, “It would be better if I were myself.”

“Well until your old self changes, I don’t think that will happen. Dressing as a guy too soon would probably be scary for your wife, especially if you went back to being your old self. Your daughter probably even knows better,” Ashley says.

I am not used to a teenager being so frank yet without a big attitude. I’m sitting at the kitchen table as she redoes my nails in the cranberry red. She has me walk with her to my closet as the nails are drying. She pulls out two skirts saying, “These are casual enough you can be active and attractive when you go out.”

I say, “The one I like is shorter.”

“Good choice, you have the legs for the skirt. All we need do now is pick out what to wear with it. This would look good with a cami underneath it.” I pick one of the camis that would go with everything. Ashley approves my choice. “Why don’t you change and then we can go upstairs together. If you’d like me to help with your makeup later, I’ll be willing.”

I can’t help but giggle a little as she closes the door. Here a girl thirteen years my junior is helping me to dress as another woman. I’ve pulled out a fresh set of panties and bra. Being a delicate pastel blue, they won’t show through the clothes. If they are seen they won’t stand out inappropriately. I use just enough makeup to be presentable upstairs.

Ashley waited and we went up together. Ryta had been waiting not sure where Ashley was, though Cathy had already guessed she was down with me. Cathy says, “You know Ashley, she needs to learn to do things herself.”

“She has a daughter coming, so I thought it would be good for Elaine to put her best face forward. If my Dad were to dress as a woman, seeing him looking like a man in a dress would be scary. Robin will see Elaine enough times in the future that Elaine will be responsible for how she looks to her daughter.”

=^..^=

I had thought they were coming at 1:00 o’clock, so I was surprised when my doorbell rang at 11:30. I was afraid to open the door once I knew it was them but Bridgette insists I don’t keep them waiting.

Robin looked to make sure it was me and then ran and hugged me. “Daddy, can you lift me for a kiss and a hug?” I did and it felt good that she still liked me as I am. She pulled back in my arms, “Daddy did you know you make a pretty Daddy.”

Julie looked at me and then gave me a hug and a kiss. Robin says, “Mommy does it seem funny to hug a girly Dad and kiss him with lipstick on?” I look, waiting for Julie’s answer.

“Yes it is the first time I kissed Elaine; I can get accustomed to it if it helps. So, Honey, did you get dressed up on your own or did you have help?”

Bridgette interrupted, “Elaine please set the table for two more and I’ll introduce your wife and daughter.” I wanted to argue, but I knew better. I could hear Robin say, “Daddy doesn’t help at home.”

Bridgette says, “He better in the future. I think this time being like a woman will help your Daddy in many ways. Would you mind, if he helps at home from now on?”

“Will he always look like a Mommy, or can he look like a regular Daddy?” she asks? She pauses… “He makes a pretty Mommy and I think it will be okay if he acts like a mommy. He needs to realize I already have a mommy. He can never take her place.”

We still had ten minutes before lunch so I took Robin and Julie to show them my apartment. When we were done, Julie sent Robin back up to Bridgette’s and closed the door. We hugged and she kisses me again. “I’d be more passionate but I don’t want to mess your makeup.”

My touch and hugs were gentler and I was afraid how that came across. So I asked. Julie said, “If it means you will be more sensitive when we make love, part of me would welcome the change. I think we’ll find a new reality, I don’t want Dan to go away.”

=^..^=

I relaxed and enjoyed lunch and the afternoon with Robin and Julie. I had bought a doll and some story books on Thursday for Robin. I took them when we walked to the park. Robin played with the doll a little and sat in my lap when I read from the book. It was four when we were back from a park. I was sad that the time passed so quickly.

Bridgette came down to the apartment as it was time for Julie and Robin to leave. “We will take Robin for up to two hours. Why don’t you take some time as Elaine and be affectionate to your wife.”

I was surprised when we went to my bedroom to see two negligees. Julie insisted I change with her. We didn’t make love in the traditional sense nor was the focus as usual; Julie making sure I was happy. It had been years since I had worked to please her. It wasn’t that I didn’t know how, but as Elaine even that was different. Several times I worried I was exciting a pregnant woman too much. Julie insisted I wasn’t and even urged me to be more affectionate. I actually found myself enjoying bringing Julie pleasure. She showed me, on me, where the erogenous zones of a woman were. Some are sensitive to a man as well just not as sensitive. Seemingly Bridgette had communicated to Julie some time ‘not to please the man when I appear as Elaine.’

I was a horny man yet a very happy person tonight.

=^..^=

Sunday Bridgette, Cathy and I went to a social club that catered mostly to lesbians. Bridgette informed me that Cathy and she would continue to do things that were meaningful to them. I saw myself as the unusual one as only about twenty to twenty-five percent of us were in a skirt or dress. I asked, “Do you think there are other men dressed like me?”

Cathy said, “Maybe there will be two or three during the course of the evening. There will probably be more men straight and gay here, be it as individuals or as couples.” Before I asked why, she asked me, “Just relax and see if you figure out why they might come here to enjoy a night out.” Several times when Bridgette and Cathy danced I was asked to dance soon afterward.

I told one woman, Jesse, that I was married, “That is okay, I will honor that.” She continued to hold out her hand and I got up and danced with her. She sat down with us when Cathy and Bridgette were back sitting down. During the evening there were times that there were six of us visiting. An older couple came over and thanked Cathy and Bridgette for helping them to accept their daughter and her wife. Their daughter was finishing her doctorate at the University of Columbia. Beth also thanked them, “I appreciate it, it has been easier studying having my parents love and support.”

Beth talked to Cathy about her pregnancy. I was caught off guard when she turned to me and asked, “Would you consider carrying a child instead of your wife?” The question first seemed completely strange if not extremely funny. But instead of laughing or discounting the idea, it caused me to think.

After Beth left, Bridgette commented, “You have changed enough to consider that in your mind haven’t you?” She was correct, it did have me thinking new thoughts.

The last person to ask me to dance this evening caused me to think again. Hank’s name was really Hans. It surprised me when he asked me to dance. It was a faster dance and I decided to give it a try. The next dance was slower and when Hank pulled me to him I did not resist or say, ‘no’. I rested my head on his shoulder. Once when I looked up to him he kissed me, we kissed. I could feel he was excited to be with me. Come to the end of the dance he hugged and gave me a big kiss. The hardest part was I liked being loved.

=^..^=

Cathy and Bridgette had a very enjoyable night and I could tell they hoped it wasn’t over when we got back to their house. I felt bad when Bridgette gave Cathy a light kiss and said, “Don’t wait up for me. Elaine and I need to have a good visit.”

I began to apologize as soon as we were alone in my apartment. Bridgette asked me, “Please be quiet and listen for a moment and respond only to my questions.” I tried to speak but she placed a finger over my lips. “Please be seated, Elaine. Have you had trouble being loved?”

I wanted to laugh, “If anything I have kind of easily always gotten what I wanted. Having sex with women has never been that hard. If anything, the only problem I’ve had is being satisfied.” Whatever she was thinking I was sure I blew her theory.

Bridgette’s expression didn’t change, “Getting sex, having what you want and acting boss do not equal being loved. I have no trouble believing Julie loves you, but do you feel loved.” Bridgette allows the room to go quiet and remain quiet. I begin to cry as I think of Hank having kissed me. ‘Did it feel like being loved? I remember I was angry because I liked the feeling.’

“You just said, Julie loves me, so why are you asking if I feel loved,” I ask. The truth is, I have quietly cried myself to sleep since I was a little kid. Finally, I answer, “You seemingly already know the answer is no. I do know Julie loves me. I was taught men just demand it but that doesn’t feel like love. It only feels like I won, I don’t think that is the same.” I begin to cry uncontrollably and Bridgette breaks her professionalism and pulls me to her and lets me cry on her.

I don’t know how long I cried, I open my eyes and Cathy is now with us. “I know it’s wrong but it feels kind of nice to be Elaine.”

Bridgette asks, “Did part of you hope he would make love to you?” Without a pause, I said, “I know it was wrong, but yes.”

“Elaine, I think that you wanted to be loved. If you will be patient I think you will feel love.”

“It hasn’t done any good trying to get people to love me. I’ve tried really hard.”

Bridgette strokes my back, “You’re right you can’t make people love you, because even when they have done it, you don’t feel it.”

I ask, “Then how will it ever happen?”

I’m sure Cathy wasn’t to speak but, “You’re loved right now.” I went silent, I felt Bridgette stroking my back, and I could feel Cathy’s hand on my shoulder. Then I felt the warmth of Bridgette’s touch. I could feel it, it wasn’t the same as Julie’s. I remembered the day before being with Julie. The joy I felt then wasn’t the joy of making love to Julie. I remember the feeling of her loving me and I didn’t even have intercourse with her.

I heard myself humming and I hugged Bridgette more but I felt it. Bridgette quietly asked in a soft voice, “What is happening?”

“I can feel that you love me and even more I just felt Julie’s love from yesterday.”

=^..^=

I hear the bath water running, but the sound is muffled. Bridgette tells me Cathy has begun running bath water for me. She wants me to take a relaxing bath but to let the door remain open a little. It was a bubble bath and by the time I’m finished Bridgette is in a nightgown with a blanket around her. Cathy had the sofa made up; Bridgette says she will sleep there tonight.

I was wearing teddy bear pajamas and my robe. It is hard not to see how beautiful Bridgette is as we talk. “Elaine, you are becoming a very beautiful woman. There seems to be a glow about you. Are you more comfortable now?”

“Yes thank you, I am thankful how much you and Cathy helped me tonight.”

Bridgette took me to my bed and had me lay down. “What do you think it meant when I hoped Hank would make love to me? I remembered times when I wished Julie and I could trade places so she could make love to me.”

Bridgette asked, “Did you feel like Julie expressed love to Elaine yesterday?”

“How do you know those things or are you just guessing?” We talked but I was sleepy and soon fell asleep. I dreamed that Bridgette kissed me on the forehead and pulled my blankets up around me. I knew sometime during the night Bridgette checked on me and said, “You’re alright, don’t worry. You’re safe, you can go back to sleep.” I knew she stayed with me until I fell back to sleep.

There was light coming through the window when I heard Bridgette ask for me to wake up. “Elaine, I called to Lynn she knows you will be late. It was seven o’clock in the morning; Dan could make it work on time, but as Elaine, it will take you longer.” I feel fantastic. I pick a turquoise skirt suit. I selected everything and did my makeup as well.

I tried getting my hair right but needed to ask Cathy’s help. The baby kicked as she helped me and she let me feel the baby moving in her. It was a joyous feeling. I knew I had touched Julie when she was pregnant with Robin, but the times with this pregnancy were few.

Bridgette rode with me in Jerry’s cab. She told the receptionist that she had an appointment with Ms. Marilyn Watts. I said I would take her up. When she checked for my name she found me listed as Ms. Watts’ Administrative Assistant. She congratulated me on my new position.

When we got to the office on the twenty-first floor; I had to work. Lynn complimented how I looked this morning. When I said thanks, she asked what special happened this weekend. “It was a number of things, I’m not sure we have the time or you really want to hear it.”

Lynn and Bridgette left the office to meet without me. I had enough work to keep busy.

I had a text from Ashley, wishing me well. I soon had one from Julie asking me to lunch the following day. I text back that I had a two day trip as Lynn’s assistant.

During work, Lynn talks with me often; hearing about Julie wanting to do lunch tomorrow as well as Lynn informing me at length about our trip to Baltimore and then Naples, Florida. “If your wife has some free time this afternoon, I give you permission to take time to visit with her. Consider it a late lunch. I like women, workers to be mindful of their families.”

“Isn’t that a bit sexist,” I ask?

Lynn smiles, “I call it a conditioned response. Nine out of ten times it is a woman worker who is thinking about family needs. I experience guys even at work are more concerned with drinking buddies and their fantasy leagues.”

I say to her, “I will contact Julie and I appreciate your sensitivity.” I can feel anger building in me. I caught myself before I blew up with a customer or another worker. I call Bridgette, feeling like an alcoholic calling his AA sponsor. Before I knew it I blew up with Bridgette. It was extra embarrassing as Lynn heard me.

Julie was able to meet come 2:30 p.m. She complimented how I handled myself on Saturday and called to find out if I would be comfortable going with her to Lamaze classes when it came closer to her due time.

This time I was angry at myself. It was evident that I would still be Elaine. It felt more important this time to be with Julie. I had been too busy when Robin was coming. I had agreed to things then but was usually a ‘no show’ including being too late to take Julie to the hospital. There is even now a small resentment about being there for Julie, but for the first time, I realize why I’m feeling such.

As Elaine and a Dad, I am feeling excited and happy to be with Julie. It took an added effort to convince Julie that I would follow through. She was noticeably touched when I handed her a small gift of bath salts and bath oils. Julie was helpful, sharing with Elaine all I should be packing for the trip. The idea of a swimsuit or evening dresses were things Elaine had not thought of, neither was a second purse or different shoes and so on.

Julie was happy to tell Elaine, “Remember as Marilyn’s assistant you should be prepared with extras like a sewing kit, tampons, and pads, pantyhose, a fresh tube of lipstick and matching nail polish. Find out if she plays golf or what she might be doing with her clients that might suggest other things to be ready for.”

As Elaine, I remembered the magazine article on communication and how it means much more for the professional woman. Elaine spoke up, “That will cost me an extra piece of luggage, and the company won’t reimburse me for that.”

Julie says, “I’ve already budgeted for it. It is important that you show you are growing in your sensitivity and thoughtfulness. Lynn has already gone the extra steps for you.” I knew she was right and I was happy she had been sympathetic.

Julie took an extra fifteen minutes with me to get some of the things we talked about. I was surprised that Lynn did not bark about the extra time I took. Lynn and I worked until 8:00, doing things for the office here. We both had things to do tonight in preparation for our trip.

=^..^=

I continue to be impressed by Ashley Riley as she is out to help me again. Tonight she asked if I’m taking a steamer for my outfits. She explains how important it can be as I’m expected to keep up my appearance.

I tried to pay her for loaning me her steamer, but she was offended. Cathy felt the need to take me aside as Bridgette was working with others. “Elaine, when are you going to step back and realize the value friendship is more than money? You for one could benefit from considering the possibility for yourself.”

“I just tried to be fair about things, mind your own business,” I told her. I could see Ashley was surprised, I hoped it was about Cathy.

Cathy got in my path and said, “Sit and please be quiet until I collect my cool.” I was there five to ten minutes and I was ready to get up and go back to my apartment. I had plenty yet to do. Cathy sat across from me. I could tell she was calmer than before. “Elaine, let me rephrase things. I know you meant well. Ashley didn’t want you to pay for what she offered to lend you. She had already said ‘No’ three times and she was upset that you didn’t accept her answer. Can you think of another way you could have responded?”

“I’m sure it couldn’t have been three times, but even if it was I was the adult. I think she should have accepted what I wanted to do.”

Cathy spoke calmly, “How else could you have responded?”

She causes me to step back and consider what was being said, “I guess I could have said thank you. I could have told her, I will look for a way to return the favor.” I was still upset until Cathy and Ashley both smiled and together said, “That would have been better.”

Ashley says, “I’m fifteen and it didn’t come easily to treat others as a friend. It hurts that you still think you’re better than me. You discount me.” I try to say my piece but she puts a finger over her lips. I sense she doesn’t want my words one way or another other.

I smile and softly say, “Thank you, I will try to listen better.”

Ashely asks, “Can I help you pack or would you prefer to do it by yourself?”

I was tempted to opt for being self-sufficient, but I don’t pack well as Dan and I am not sure how to pack for my feminine self. “I am sure I could use your help. I’d be thankful if you would.” Ash made sure it was okay with Cathy. Cathy asked us to let her know if we needed her help.

Ashley sometimes was like her Mom Bridgette; she got me to consider taking more panties than days I was to be away, even different styles. Some that would be better for a snug outfit. She encouraged me to take extra hangers that would be helpful in hanging my clothes. I had already forgotten that Lynn told me to take two outfits for each working day. She had me include an extra outfit for the evening. One was an evening dress for an especially nice night out and another for a company dinner or with executives. “Mom says you are to dress well but not to out-dress Ms. Watts or the women there. She says it is not good business.”

Cathy came to the apartment and excused Ashley saying she would like to talk to me alone, but she asked Ashley to keep the door open slightly. “Elaine, we’re going to talk about a sensitive subject. Bridgette asked if she wasn’t back by now for me to visit with you.

I turned on some water to heat up for tea. Then I sat to listen. “You need to consider how you are going to react if someone is attracted and is wanting you to respond in kind. It will likely start out with someone complementing on how nice you look. …It will be best if you just acknowledge the comment but minimize any personal response. If you tell them you are married they might invite you to say more than you are prepared to. If you tell them you are single, men especially might see that as an opening to approach you. You might not think of yourself as an attractive woman, but others will.”

“The person or people Lynn is relating to might have associates that will relate more to you. Your behavior will be a reflection on Lynn as well. If their boss can’t fluster her, they might try to water down her position through working with you. Bridgette says you do well to keep track of what is important to Lynn. You are to remember to address her or to talk about her as Marilyn, Ms. Watts or even your division’s CEO.”

I thank Cathy, “Bridgette reminded me yesterday as Lynn’s assistant I am going as a team member, her subordinate and not as a decision maker. I think she thinks that could be hard for me.”

Cathy checked what I had packed and suggested I wait until morning to close my luggage. I was still up doing work preparing for the trip when Bridgette finally came to visit me. I received mostly compliments, but a few questions about whether Elaine’s discipline was enough to keep old habits in check. We both knew, only time would tell.


=^..^=

I was surprised that the corporate executives, we were meeting with in Baltimore were with a corporation based out of three cities up and down the east coast. They were looking for the system I had helped to develop to replace theirs that they have a world class competitor. They were correct that our system could actually serve them better. Their present systems company was not willing to adapt their system to this industrial customer.

I was impressed with Lynn’s preparation. She knew which of our systems was closest to meeting the need and she narrowed down our field program experts who could refine the program. Stacy would have been a fine choice if she had not just been committed. I could have been a good choice if I could be trusted to follow through. I am guessing that is a year or more away.

Angelina is the one I expected Lynn to be leaning towards and her mentioning in the flight of Tom Granger is a pleasant surprise. He is a computer wizard in the best sense; I had assumed his value to the company was on the decline. Lynn was surprised by my recommendation of Roberta Stillwell as his project assistant. Roberta was someone I previously had sought to demean and beat out for a position someday soon.

Lynn could assign them to work together, but she was asking me to communicate and get them to agree to head up this team if we could woo the Alloyed Production Corporation, APC, away. It would not be very noticeably bigger than the agreement we reached last week, but landing a new customer and taking it away from a world competitor would be even a greater achievement in many ways.

Tom was the only one of the two whom I trusted to share the potential client’s name. Tom Granger was dutifully impressed and he informed me that he had helped train Roberta years earlier.

He had followed her career and agreed she would be great in working with him. He asked if Lynn intended to name her as a co-leader on the project. It isn’t usually done within our corporation, usually, she would be listed as an assistant or associate. A quick discussion between Lynn Watts and Granger concluded this would be a good exception. Granger felt it would be important to have a stable team for at least five years. He did not see Roberta playing second fiddle now during the prime of her career.

I saw the wisdom of the three and it made it a lot easier bringing Roberta on board. I was doing the groundwork, but I was also learning a different way from how I did things. It probably helped that neither Granger nor Stillwell knew who I actually was. We landed in Baltimore early and were settled in our hotel suite before noon.

If all went well we would be flying to Naples by 2:00 p.m. tomorrow; if we were close to an agreement another flight could be going out of D.C. around 10:00 p.m. There were three representatives from each of the corporation’s three major locations and the Chief Operating Executive of the whole corporation. We would have Granger and Stillwell linked to us if helpful.

The first meeting was a dinner meeting at 12:30 p.m. supposedly no business. I was glad for Ashley’s steamer. I was also thankful for Bridgette’s guidance in wearing my gray business suit. I felt like it was attractive enough to compliment Lynn.

Lynn had informed me of the interests and some of the dislikes of the men we were dining with. I was desiring to mix business with the dinner, but Lynn was making good connections with the men. I was surprised they were not disappointed about meeting with women. We were through dinner by one thirty and drinks and discussion before 2:00. We would meet and share our initial presentations from four till six.

I had hot tea, energy drinks, chocolate, and fruit brought up to our room along with a request for a hair stylist. An unusual request was to have three pairs of high heels to be brought up for Lynn’s selection. Someone had packed a dark blue and a black shoe together. Close but not acceptable.

Lynn directed our preparation for the presentation. I was to have the information and be able to project images for our presentation. It needed to hold their interest as well as substantiate what Lynn would say. I was glad I was on better terms with Stacy back in our office as I needed to delegate and rely on her team’s help.

Alloyed Productions' request was greater than they had informed us, possibly as a test of our ability to adapt. Fortunately, I had both Tom and Roberta listen in on their presentation. An earpiece allowed me to receive their feedback as we made our presentation.

I and I believe our clients were favorably impressed with Lynn’s presentation and the system we’re presenting. John Hancher chose to challenge me, “What would seem to make your system superior and worth our while to change too?”

“Not only is their system meant for corporations different than yours. Our system will be easier to navigate through and friendlier to use. We have one of our premiere computer people Thomas Granger set to lead such a project and Roberta Stillwell an exceptional systems person will be leading the integration of our program for your systems.”

I was interrupted, “Why would you be naming two people to be co-leaders working with us?” Lynn started to speak but their CEO Mr. Williams spoke, “I want to see if she can explain the reasons.”

I caught my breath and replied, “I believe Ms. Watts correctly decided your system and three major locations warrant this team to build this system to meet your needs and having two leaders gives stability as the first three years of the program will be crucial to you and whoever would build you the optimum system. I believe completely in what Marilyn Watts is offering to your corporation.”

Using my computer and Lynn’s we were able to present both Tom and Roberta to our prospective clients. Though they were being non-committal, Lynn was sure we impressed them. They said they hoped at an evening dinner at 8:00 to give some decision, even if it were only for further talks.

It was seven o’clock I received a call from them to come light-hearted and ready to celebrate. Lynn suggested the evening dress that Ashley had suggested I bring. Lynn insisted I also get a new pair of fine stockings to wear. I am not sure if it was to humble me or in hope that I would enjoy the experience of wearing them. I did not realize they were silk or how different it would feel to wear them. If she intended me to enjoy the experience it was working. It was hard to fight the feelings I had wearing them.

After Lynn was ready she turned to work on my makeup. “I usually don’t fuss over my junior associates, however, I am enjoying it in this instance. I want to compliment you on your help in the presentation and helping to more personally connect Tom and Roberta with our clients. We could have used Roberta being with us in the celebration tonight.”

I asked, “How would it be helpful to have her present tonight?” Lynn smiled saying she wasn’t positive but that it would make things easier on us somehow. I had planned to wear my flats but Lynn insisted on three-inch heels.

I was ready to go down and wait way early. I was both hungry as well as use to being early. Lynn said, “You need to be patient and to remember you are serving them and me at our convenience. I don’t want them feeling like you are rushing them.” If I were still the old me I wouldn’t be as we appeared to be two attractive women meeting for a dinner party.

Mrs. Ruth Williams, the CEO’s wife was the only the only wife to come on the trip and was present tonight at the dinner. Lynn was amused whispering in my ears, “Mrs. Williams seems to be taken with you as are the men.” Lynn had impressed everyone as well but it was not surprising that they saw her as an attractive and intelligent woman.

Mrs. Williams had ordered lobster and I asked the waiter, “Is the lobster was from the North Atlantic?”

He said, “We have some, but that is by special request and it costs more.”

I said, “That is her order then, thank you.”

Mrs. Williams asked me, “Why did you do that?”

I said, “I’ve been told because the North Atlantic waters are much colder it is better for many shellfish and most definitely lobster. I wanted to make sure you received the best meal possible.”

Mr. Andrew Williams confirmed for his wife that it was true. He appreciated what I had done. The Dinner went well though the Vice President of the Atlanta operations had ordered the lobster and had not specified what he wanted. During the meal, he indicated, “My lobster is especially good, so do you still think you were correct in changing her order?” The waiter was at the table filling water glasses and he said, “I changed all of the lobster orders with your hosts Ms. Watts’s permission.”

We moved to a large table in the lounge after dinner. Mr. Williams danced with his wife, the Atlanta VP danced with Ms. Watts and John Hancher from Boston asked me to dance. I warned him, “I am not a good dancer and tonight with these heels you probably should be warned.”

John’s hand stayed extended to me, “I’ve been divorced just over a year. I would be very pleased if you tried to dance with me. I’d be disappointed if you wouldn’t do me the favor.” I knew I had to try and do my best and act as if I enjoyed it. John was a very good dancer as well as a very good lead. We dance two dances. I was very impressed with how well I was able to dance with him. I was even more surprised how I enjoyed dancing. Between the feel of the silk stockings and the skirt moving around my legs, it was most enjoyable.

I danced with all the men during the evening but it was with John that I developed a rapport and learned much about the company as well as him. John said he was from their Boston region and was the younger brother of Ruth Williams….

To be continued…

Please indicate if it’s a good story, and leave a comment or write to the author. Your comments are appreciated and helpful. This author responds to most every comment and personal message. Thanks, Jessica

up
184 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

As this story progresses, I

As this story progresses, I have been getting a feeling the Elaine just might stay around while Dan disappears into the "woodwork". Perhaps Julie and Robin will have 'Daddy Elaine' living with them forever?

Elaine is not Dan's intention...

Neither Lynn nor Bridgette set out to change Dan permanently. It has been some decisions Dan/Elaine made that initially will prolong Elaine's presence at the work place. But things are getting tied up at work and Elaine does seem to be taking root.

Hugs for your observation, Jessie

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

I Agree with Janice Lynn

Christina H's picture

Jessica, It may be true that the original idea was not to permanently change him, but like Janice I feel that he like being Elaine and the whole experience much to his surprise has been a positive one.

Mind you, you the author can easily blow our theories out of the water!

Great Story.

Christina

In agreement?

A story is a journey and where Dan/Elaine surface in the future will be influenced by those experiences. You have some good insight, hopefully the journey holds turns and good surprises.

Hugs, Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors