Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2538

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2538
by Angharad

Copyright© 2014 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Sunday was dreary with occasional bursts of gloom. The sun didn’t shine but neither did the wind blow too hard or the clouds disgorge their contents, so it could have been worse.

During breakfast I asked the children what they fancied doing—each of them wanted to do something different, but with me. To be honest I didn’t fancy any of their ideas. Explaining that I had considered a bike ride and picnic seemed to carry some degree of favour.

“What about the little ones? Are you going to leave them out?”

“What I thought about doing was Danni, Trish, Livvie and Meems could cycle with me to Hayling Island and you could meet us there with the Mondeo and bring the food with you. You could also bring the little ones and if anyone was too tired to ride back, bring them and their bike back.”

Everyone but Simon thought it a capital idea, he was unconvinced. I think he was unsure about bringing Cate in the car on his own, Stella offered to have Lizzie soit was only Cate we had to worry about. He was outvoted and finally agreed when he realised he would give us an hour’s start.

I proposed making the food which he would bring and he nodded when I asked him to bring the big flask with hot water in it for tea. I told him what to do, warm it first and then pour in the very hot water, but not boiling, it could crack the glass in the Thermos. He told me he wasn’t stupid.

Trish, Livvie and I made fresh rolls with ham salad, tuna salad—couldn’t think who those were for—and cheese salad. I packed individual fruit yoghurts for dessert and some chocolate biscuits. I packed milk, tea bags, several bottles of fruit squash diluted for drinking, paper plates, disposable cups or glasses, a blanket with groundsheet attached, even knives and forks. All Si had to do was rinse out the flask, pour some hot water in it to warm it and then after emptying that, fill it with near boiling water. Hardly rocket science.

The picnic was stored in two large cooler boxes and he would stick them in the boot of the car when he followed us an hour later. We’d agreed a route in case he needed to stop and collect anyone on the outward journey, before which he’d put the bike rack on the back of the car.

Those of us taking part in this stage of the TdF then went off to change into cycling kit and then assemble at the bike store while I quickly checked each bike. Si came to see how we were doing and I asked him to bring some extra coats for sitting around in to eat our picnic. He suggested again that it was too cold for eating outdoors. I disagreed, if he wanted to eat indoors, he could sit in the car and have his sandwich.

Were quite well lagged against the cold, balaclavas and gloves on all but me. I wore gloves but I had a snood, a bit like a circular scarf which was in a fleece material and which protected my neck and part of my face and head. We set off on our assorted bikes. I rode a road bike in case I needed to nip up and down the column, which after a mile or two started to string out.

Livvie is not a natural cyclist unlike Trish and Danni who seem to unconsciously get into a cadence and keep it going, she struggles. Meems kept her company at the back of the column while I rode up and down it encouraging as best I could.

Simon passed us an hour and a quarter later, we were half way there and I would have killed for a cuppa. We met him in a layby fifteen minutes later. Meems and Livvie opted out and while he loaded their bikes, the three of us remaining on bikes took off quite quickly or it would be dark before we got there. Without the anchoring effect of the two slower girls we’d done at least another mile before Si cam past again tooting as he did. We finally met up half an hour later, when I did get my cuppa and a tuna roll.

We found a sheltered place to sit and I spread out the blanket and the picnic was reasonably successful, everyone enjoyed it, or so they said, even Simon. After we finished eating while I cleared up the debris he went off with Livvie to find ice creams for those who wanted one. While they were gone I had another cuppa and felt fairly relaxed about the return leg of our trip.

The ice creams were duly consumed and the rest of the snack allowed to ‘go down’ for half an hour before we returned. Trish decided she’d ridden enough, so Si added her bike to the rack, which could have coped with one more before the front wheels began to lift off the road. Danni and I decided, come what may, we were riding back unassisted.

It was noticed the wind had picked up since our stop and it had got a little cooler. We both shivered as we mounted our bikes and I asked Danni if she wanted to go in the car. She didn’t, we set off waving to the others and declaring we’d see them at home unless some unforeseen disaster occurred. “Like what?” asked Simon and I wasn’t sure if he was being thick or ironic. It transpired it was the former, much to my disappointment. I pointed out that unforeseen meant that as no one saw it coming we couldn’t know what it would be. He blushed confirming my diagnosis earlier.

The ride back was partly on cycle paths which made it safer but the westerly wind meant we were riding against it practically the whole time. Danielle was reasonably fit—football fit—but even she was struggling against the wind. I struggled as well, being generally unfit. At least we had no real hills to climb, although they might have deflected the wind a little which, being on the coast meant we couldn’t escape it.

I won’t say how long it took us, not helped by having to stop to repair a puncture—my rear wheel. Then ten minutes later, Danni had one in her rear wheel. Hedge-cutting—sometimes I dislike farmers and sometimes I really dislike them. They leave mud all over roads and bits of thorn and other sharp debris when they hedge cut. If they can clear things up in other places why can’t British farmers follow suit? It seems because they are obstinate and awkward so and sos. Their arrogance has to be second only to bankers and doctors.

We finally crawled home very tired but happy we’d had a good ride. A shower and change of clothing and I had another cuppa before asking David what the delicious smells were. He wouldn’t say, but I thought it smelled like lamb, possibly detected the aroma of mint sauce as well.

While we waited for our delicious dinner, as the girls were back to school the next day, we checked uniforms and other things like gym kit against wear and tear and creasing ready for the morning. I asked to see each of their timetables and asked them to get things ready now, not in a mad rush tomorrow.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
267 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I think on

balance i prefer my picnic's to be more easily accessible these days , Must be my age i guess, Either that or plain simple idleness, For many years bikes formed a large part of my job (i worked on the post office) so its not that i could not ride a bike, But PO bikes were by their nature very robust and heavy, If you were lucky you had the good old Sturmey-Archer 3 speed nestling in your back wheel, If not, Then you knew you were in for some harder work, Their other problem was stopping ! The earlier models used the old brake blocks on the rim method of stopping, Which was great in the dry but try slowing down coming down a steep hill with a fully laden bike in the wet .... A few years later the PO realised that it was only good luck on their part that had avoided many accidents, Not long afterwards all bike had hub brakes..... Not before time it has to be said !

Kirri

Hawthorn and blackthorn hedge clippings ...

... are a real PITA. I can't think why they can't design a cutting machine that doesn't spray them all over the road. We regularly get off and carry our bikes as it's quicker than repairing multiple punctures. Bit awkward with the tandem, though.

I was somewhat surprised there were no real disasters on the ride - Russian mafia attacks for example. Nice to get a quiet episode occasionally.

Robi

Another day in the life of -

Cyclists, and yes, the puncture fairy couldn't resist a call could he?
Still lovin' it and I hope the leak is fixed.
x

bev_1.jpg

Mint Sauce

Perhaps I shall try doing a small pot roast and put mint sauce on it, unless it does not taste right except on Lamb? Yumm. My stomach is growling but will have to be satisfied with day old Pizza.

Gwen

What a nice...

What a nice family outing... *sighs* It's been sooo long since our daughters have been healthy enough for something like that. Maybe a miracle will happen, and they'll again be there. (A mother can hope, can't she!)

I do hope that Cathy and Danni don't have issues on the morrow due to "over" using muscles that they aren't used to using! :-)

Thanks,
Annette

Always nice to read about a

Always nice to read about a simple day outing for the Cameron family, with no distractions other than a couple of punctured tires and a couple of ladies who are going to be muscle sore the next day.