Tamara's Trials - Chapter 4 "Resignation?"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Trials - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part Four

 

"Resignation?"

 
 
Monday 12th January 2015
 

Tammy did her absolute best to avoid Yvonne Stewart at school, not always the easiest thing to do in that micro-world. Nevertheless, by lunch break there had only been fleeting glances of her, plus a variety of reports from other sixth formers.

"I heard her talking to some parents, their daughter is interested in coming here in September. One of them asked if they could speak to an existing girl and she said that was not at all possible."

"Thanks James, I wonder how long she'll be able to keep that up."

James Hunter had not readily accepted the idea of girls, especially transgendered girls, in the male bastion of a boys' school. In fact, just before the Christmas break he had been quite dismissive of Angela. Two things seemed to have changed his mind; he'd been overheard and was warned by John Hibbert that he could be excluded from the sixth form common room for such comments. He had also been accused of writing a note to Angela telling her to leave the school, but denied it saying he was aware who was responsible. He knew that whoever was responsible for the note ran the risk of suspension or expulsion - something he couldn't risk this close to his Scottish Higher exams.

During lunch one of the Deputy Heads, Mr Thompson, came up to Tammy.

"Could you and Miss Small come to my office after lunch? I believe you both have study periods?"

"Yes Sir."

As Mr Thompson walked away John leaned over.

"What's that about, Tammy?"

"I don't know, I don't think we're in trouble."

"Neither do I, oh well, good luck."

Tammy's sarcasm was evident, "thanks, I was rather hoping I wouldn't need it."

John laughed but Angela was now getting worried.

"What if ...."

"Angela, John was trying to make a joke, personally I think he needs to work on his timing."

"Eh?"

The five minute warning bell sounded as they were clearing the table. Most of the sixth formers were heading for their common room to collect their books and folders, despite constant reminders from senior tutors not to treat the room as a large locker.

Angela and Tammy, meanwhile, made the short journey from the refectory to the entrance hallway and the door into the Deputy Head's room. The door was ajar so Tammy knocked gently and pushed the door open.

"Come in ladies and please close the door behind you." Mr Thompson was sat by his coffee table, Tammy noted that the number of chairs had increased from the usual three. He gestured for them to sit.

"Firstly, I've been hearing some good reports from your tutors and you don't appear to have suffered too much from your absences before Christmas."

"Thank you, Sir." They both acknowledged the compliment.

"Normally I would say no to a request like this but I believe it has merit."

"Sorry Sir, you've lost me."

"Ah, I'm getting ahead of myself. It appears, Miss Smart, that Mrs McIntosh is a fan of yours and has recently joined the board of trustees of the theatre. She's made a direct request for you to be allowed to participate in the production of Macbeth."

Tammy groaned.

"Is there a problem?"

"I didn't want to play her."

"Her?"

"Lady Macbeth?"

"Have you been offered the part?"

"Not as such."

"So why do you think you already have it?"

"The only other girl capable of playing her doubts her abilities."

"I was only told this morning that the play had only just been decided and you've already negotiated the lead female role? I can't imagine a boy doing that, with respect."

"I'm hardly a boy, Sir."

"Anyway, permission granted."

"It's out of school time, Sir, so why is permission needed?"

"We normally ask the upper sixth to each do two hours a week after school exam revision with the year elevens from February to April. The pair of you plus Mr Hibbert will be excused that."

Tammy nodded, she'd forgotten the help she'd received in the run up to her GCSE exams when she was sixteen.

"Now, Miss Small, I have additionally had a request for your help at the theatre so you are also excused the revision duties."

"Thank you Sir." Angela was quite relieved.

There was a knock on the door and Mrs Adams, the Head's secretary, put her head in.

"The Richardsons are back, Sir."

"Thank you, please show them in."

A girl, aged about fifteen or sixteen, came in followed by a couple who were easily her parents.

"Please take a seat. Mr and Mrs Richardson, Josephine, I'd like to introduce Angela Small and Tamara Smart, currently our only female students."

There was a round of hand shaking.

"It's Tammy." "Josie."

Mr Richardson spoke next. "I thought none of the girls were available?"

"I'm sorry there was a miscommunication. Miss Stewart doesn't currently look after any of the sixth formers' classes or schedules as that's my responsibility. Miss Small and Miss Smart are free for the next hour if Miss Richardson would like to ask any questions."

"Is Miss Stewart new?"

"Yes, she started a week ago."

"Ah, still finding her feet then."

Mr Richardson laughed at his own comment, Mr Thompson responded likewise, albeit nervously.

"Now, why don't you ladies head off, meet here in forty five minutes."

"Yes, Sir." Tammy stood and suggested Josie followed. Angela followed the other two out of the room and closed the door gently.

Tammy indicated that they shouldn't speak whilst in the corridors as they threaded their way upstairs to the sixth form common room. The room was empty when they walked in.

"Here we are, coffee?"

"Tea please. Are you really the only two girls here?"

"Yes."

"How long have you been here?"

"I've been here almost ten years, Angela five years."

"But girls have only just been admitted ..... oh." She blushed.

Tammy walked away from the tea station and sat next to Josie, smoothing her skirt as she did.

"You can ask any question, we won't mind."

"Ummm, no, ummmm." Josie was stuck for words. Tammy stood and went back to the kettle that was now boiling. Angela was meanwhile trying to tidy the room.

"Here you are, sorry but it's a blended tea."

"That's okay, I don't like Earl Grey or any of those."

"They can be an acquired taste. Which school are you at right now?"

"Inverness High School for Girls."

"So why did you want to come here?"

"Because I want to do A levels and not Highers, the A level results here are brilliant every year and I think I can do better than I am doing at the moment. Plus we live in Thurso now and I hate the travelling every day."

"That's a bit of a hike."

"Yeah, but I can't change school this close to my Standard Grades exam."

"True."

"Now, tell me this, why is that witch here?"

"Witch?"

"Miss Stewart."

"She just arrived, she was at a Dundee school until the Autumn."

"She was at my school when I was in year seven but fortunately I didn't have anything to do with her. If she's going to be here in September then I might change my mind."

Tammy was uncertain what to say, it was one thing to hold an opinion but it was something else to broadcast it.

"Oh, you don't like her either, do you?"

"It wouldn't be fair for me to say anything." Tammy could see Angela stifling a laugh,out of sight of Josie. Unfortunately, the door opened and James came in. Josie's head turned to see what was happening and caught Angela, who fled the room.

"Tammy, have you had another argument with her?"

"What James?"

"She's just come out of Mr Thompson's office and walked out the main entrance."

"Miss Stewart?"

"Yes, who else?"

"The answer is no, by the way this is Josie Richardson and her parents are with Mr Thompson at the moment."

"Oh, shit, sorry."

Josie started laughing. "I think I'm going to like it here!"

"I must warn you that Angela, James and I are all out of here in June. That would leave you as the only girl."

"I don't think so, several of my year 11 friends want to come here but we couldn't visit on the same days."

"No, there's a policy of one visit a day."

"James, why aren't you in French right now?"

"Monsieur Benoit fell over at lunchtime and has gone to hospital."

"Fell over?"

"Apparently he was having a cigarette round the back, a Gauloises, when one of the grounds staff came looking. He tried to hide and slipped on the ice as that area hadn't been cleared. It seems the grounds staff have been trying to catch him in the act since before Christmas."

"Bit of a give-away that."

"Why?" Josie was confused.

"Gauloises is a French brand."

"Oh, how do you know?"

"I've worked in France."

"As an au pair?"

"No, for a bank, my father was a director for one of the big banks. I was his assistant."

"Not any more?"

"He retired and came to live in Thurso just after I moved out of the boarding house."

Josie paused, thinking for a moment. "You were in West Side Story, weren't you?"

"Yes."

"We were there on the opening night. Who was that man who attacked you?"

"He didn't attack me, that was my co-star Tanya. He was Angela's father."

"Oh dear, I've put my foot in it again, I keep doing this."

"Look, have you done any acting?"

"Just a few bits in school, why?"

"There are open auditions for Macbeth at the Mill Theatre on Saturday at ten."

"Are you going to be there?"

"It looks like I'll be Lady Macbeth." Tammy sighed.

"I'll be Macbeth, then." John Hibbert had come in.

"Come on John, what would Tanya think of us as a married couple?"

"She'll be there, casting spells on you."

"Sorry to disappoint you, that's not how the play goes. John, this is Josie Richardson, Josie this is John Hibbert."

"Enchanté mademoiselle." He came forward, took Josie's hand and kissed it.

Behind him Angela had returned and took a photo with her phone. John's head snapped around as he heard the click.

"Sorry John, I've just sent that to Tanya."

"You ..........."

Josie laughed, taking any heat out of the faux argument.

Tammy looked sternly at Angela, then smiled. "You didn't, did you?"

"Photo yes, sent it no." She tapped her phone then put it away in her bag.

Tammy smiled, Angela was learning.

"Tammy, could I have a tour?"

"Didn't you already have one, Josie?"

"Yes, but that was really for my parents' benefit."

"Okay, let's get out of this madhouse. We've got just over twenty minutes."

***

Tammy just made it to her English Literature class, the last period of the day, in time after delivering a happy Josephine Richardson back to the Deputy Head's office. They had passed a few of the lower years in the corridors many of whom had openly stared at the girl walking with her. "Get used to it," was Tammy's advice.

Back in the classroom Tammy handed in her homework on the Thane of Cawdor.

"Thank you Miss Smart, or should that be Lady Macbeth?"

Tammy blushed. "Where did you hear that, Sir?"

"I had lunch with the senior leadership team."

"Oh, it's not a done deal, Sir."

Many of the boys had no idea what they were talking about.

"For those who don't follow local affairs, Miss Smart is likely to play Lady Macbeth in the next production at the Mill Theatre."

There were a few rumblings, not all of which were kind.

"You might also wish to know that Mr Hibbert will be trying for the part of Macbeth. This is rather fortunate for those participating in the play as this year's Shakespeare for A Level students is the Scottish play. For those with no acting talent you could at least take yourselves along to one of the performances. When are the auditions, Miss Smart?"

"Saturday morning, ten o'clock, at the Mill Theatre. Take the nine or nine thirty minibus to Olrig Street and it's a ten minute walk from there."

"Thank you, we'll examine Macbeth's state of mind tomorrow once I've checked your homework. For now we'll make a start on our next book, 'One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovich'."

There was a groan from the corner.

"Smith, I am tempted to have you produce five thousand words on 'War and Peace' by the end of the week."

That generated a muted laugh.

"Right, who is familiar with the book?"

***

Tammy met with Angela outside the main entrance, she was waiting for her mum, Joan.

"By the way, did you look at that college website?"

"Yes, I'm tempted to do the honours degree in Business and Management."

"What's the plan after that?"

"To get a job, probably in finance, and work towards a Masters degree when I can."

"So you'll be around here for the next three years?"

"It's likely to be four."

"That's great, sis."

Janet Adams came up to them.

"Girls, can you come with me?"

Sensing urgency, they followed Janet Adams back into her office where Joan Small was in tears.

"Mum, what's up?"

"I'm going to resign."

"No, why?"

"She accused me of interfering."

"With what?"

"With Tammy, she accused me of talking to the Head and a conflict of interests."

"Tammy, what's mum talking about?"

"Miss Stewart gave me a detention after I reported Thwaites, according to her the anti-discrimination policy is only a guideline."

Janet squealed as she tried to contain a laugh.

"Tammy, I know what happened on Saturday morning. Angela, your mum was not involved and Tammy shouldn't have been put in that position in the first place."

"But, Tammy, you said everything was fine and Thwaites was in detention."

"I wasn't lying, it was all sorted out but it took Elsie to fix it. I'm not certain yet why Thwaites was in detention."

"I can answer that," said Janet, "he was heard at dinner time by Mr Thompson boasting how he got away with it and how he'd repeat it. He's lost every Saturday morning this month and possibly February as well, as well as any passes into town."

"No wonder she was pissed today, whoops, sorry."

"Tammy, it was apt. Now, Joan, don't go doing anything drastic as everything will be sorted out. Apparently you're on a course for the next two days so go home and look after yourself."

"I'm on a course? Oh, thank you Janet."

"Think nothing of it, I detest bullies."

"What about Yvonne?"

"Tammy, she's the Head's problem, let things play out and try not to get involved too much."

"I'll try, Janet, but that's not always easy in school."

"And don't I know it! Anyway, let's all get out of here. Joan, is your car out front?"

"Yes."

"Good, take Angela home and have a couple of 'me' days please. Tammy, I'll assume the bus has gone so I'll run you home."

"Thanks."

Tammy watched Joan and Angela leave the office then took her phone out.

"Hi Sandy, it's Tammy."

"Hi Tammy, did you want before or after the audition?"

"Before."

"Right, come and see me at half nine. You won't be needed at the theatre until eleven so we have plenty of time."

"Thanks. Do you have any slots free tomorrow morning?"

"Who for?"

"Joan, the works please."

"Tell her eleven, you can pay on Saturday."

"Okay. Cheers."

"Bye."

She put her phone away after sending a text to Angela

Tell mum to see Sandy at 11.00 in the morning

"Tammy, you have a smug look on your face."

"I've just booked Joan in for a pampering tomorrow morning."

"Good idea, well done."

"I had to really, she'll be my step-mum before long. Whoops."

"I'll pretend I never heard it, Tammy."

"Thanks."

"Come on, let's get you home."

up
417 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wonder how many more students

Wonder how many more students Ms. Stewart has secured into assisting her with Tammy and/or Angela? Hopefully, Louise has or will be able to find out lots of information about her to bring about her downfall and quite possibly imprisonment. Josie Richardson just might be the key to it all, as she has mentioned she knew her at a former school and definitely did not like her.
Sounds very much like no school administration found her to be a good person, however for what ever reason, did not 'black ball' her, rather foisted her off to other schools and even gave her glowing remarks.

References

joannebarbarella's picture

A lifetime of experience has taught me that you never accept a written reference at face value. Whenever possible you call the person who wrote it and ask them to verify its veracity. Often a verbal summation is quite different from what is committed to paper and people will speak much more freely than they write.

Sometimes, of course, you get the double entendre, e.g. "Anyone who gets Yvonne to work for them will be very lucky indeed."

So far Tammy seems to be coping very well with these "trials".

references

I agree about the references! and also these days a credit check, and also HMRC hold you liable for making sure the person is eligble to work in the UK! its a minefield. Good old Angela getting in a sly one a John, giggle. Those sheltered private schoolbous are in for a shock when a load of girls, real or special turn up.

And...

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

Now a days people will also likely be looked up on Facebook.
So watch what you post!

Gee not more trouble at the play again I wonder? Likely at school for sure tho!

>i< ..:::

Going after other staff

Is probably not a good idea either. At this point it isn't a student vs. an adult. Enough accumulations and it can backfire badly.

It's getting deeper

Jamie Lee's picture

If Yvonne were a rational individual, even a smart one, she would realize she's starting to dig a hole which many will line up to help backfill. Going after fellow staffers is way different than a student, the staffer just might send her to the moon without a rocket. And that it was Joan is enough to get Richard more than angry. She doesn't know the pull he has outside of school. Or that Elsie might even get more involved because of her attack on Joan. That's a woman she is in no way prepared to deal with.

Twice now she has been caught in a lie, telling the Richard son's no girls were at the school. Strike two!

Janet is a peach, showing her concern for the three, along with her disdain for Yvonne. She is right, though, the trouble Yvonne is causing is not something Tammy needs to be involved with.

What a sweet thing to do, treat Joan to the works at the salon. Not only will it help her relax but put more sparkle in Richard's eyes.

Joan is in some ways like Angela, unsure of herself, unfamiliar with finances, afraid to stand up for herself. George did this on purpose, as with Tim, causing Joan to be totally dependent on him. If she can get over what that man did to her, she could be a person whose best kept happy.

Wonder if there's any swamp land around, or near, the school?

Others have feelings too.

The Scottish Play?!

Oh dear - of all the Shakespearean plays to choose, they had to go with that one!

Given Shiraz likes to torture her characters, bubble, bubble, toil and trouble indeed!


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!