Tamara's Trials - Chapter 8 "Three Witches"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Trials - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part Eight

 

"Three witches"

 
 
Friday 16th January 2015 Continued
 

It wasn't just a case of cleaning and stitching Michael's wounds, a number of tests were done to make sure he was fit, well fit enough, to head out of the hospital. Of course his arm was put in a sling and he was told to return in five days.

As well as going through the attack several times PC Fraser wanted further information, including some about Michael's brother John. Michael couldn't remember when John's trial was but Tammy accessed her online diary for the information.

"He's remanded until the twenty sixth of this month, that's when the trial should start."

There were various noises about "we'll keep you up to date with the investigation" but Tammy and Michael just wanted out of there. Finally the nurses and the police were finished, so Tammy organised transport for them to get back to the house.

Once there, she decided that a meeting involving Michael, Louise and her father was needed, before they went to bed; she had a strong suspicion who Michael's attacker was.

"Dad, do you remember that attempted mugging on Sarah?"

"Yes."

"Well, Michael's description fits that of the man who attacked her, I think his name was James Dougall and he'd only just been released from prison after doing time for theft." Louise said she agreed with this assessment.

"Did the police say anything about your attacker, Michael?"

He, and Tammy, shook their heads.

"Is there a chance he and John were in the same prison?"

Louise answered, "as both were on remand or had minor convictions and were from the same town it would be fairly common for them to be sent to the same prison but it's not guaranteed."

"Can we find out?"

"For John, yes, but for the other man, maybe; that's if we have the right name."

Michael's phone pinged and he went to check it, but his face told a story as soon as he'd read the message. They sat, quietly, waiting for him to explain, if he wanted to.

"That was Mark, he says that he doesn't want to risk being got at by my brother so he's dumped me." Michael burst into tears.

Tammy went to move but her father suggested she stay where she was, Michael however had decided that it was time to go to bed. Louise finished her note taking and said she would investigate in the morning. Richard bade goodnight whilst Tammy had a task to complete before she could sleep.

Her phone had been pinging before they'd reached the hospital so she had turned off the pings, buzzes, ringtones and everything else that made a noise. That didn't stop the messages coming in, there were easily thirty so far and her phone was still clocking up the notifications. Her tablet, sat on her dressing table, was merrily pinging away and warning of immiment calamity due to nil battery charge.

Tammy turned it off before plugging it into the charger and decided to charge her phone at the same time. She booted her laptop but first went into her bathroom for a wee and a wash, divesting herself of clothing on the way. A few minutes later she was ready for bed and had had cleared the clothes away.

Her laptop was ready so she fired up the social media sites and started going through the messages before putting out a bland statement.

Just back indoors after a wonderful and difficult evening. Congrats to Tanya and John on their unexpected engagement, sorry I had to dash off. Michael is injured but otherwise okay and now at home. The police are investigating so I can't say anything else. Sorry.

That generated a flurry of 'tell more' messages which she ignored.

Finally she took a look at her emails, there was one from mum which could wait.

 
Saturday 17th January 2015
 

Tammy was pleased to see Michael at breakfast and went over to give him a kiss and a gentle hug, avoiding his left arm, which was again in a sling.

Tammy suggested they should retrieve Michael's belongings from his ex-boyfriend's flat and to let Mark know that Michael was going there with friends, he was certainly not up to carrying bags or going to be driving in the near future. Tammy, meanwhile had several appointments in town.

Louise dropped Tammy at Sarah's shop before taking Michael round to Mark's flat. It was ten to nine so Tammy waved through the glass then went to the bakery. There was no sign of Angela but she wondered if her sister-to-be was going directly to the theatre? Debbie of course wanted to hear everything but Mr Reid, the owner of the bakery, was hovering nearby. Having a shop full of anticipant shoppers did enable Tammy to escape without interrogation.

As Sarah had now finished her January sale, all bar a discount bin just inside the doorway, the footfall was minimal. There were several unopened cartons in the storeroom that needed sorting so Tammy started on that, ignoring the shop door on the few times it opened. At nine forty five she remembered her hair appointment so put on the kettle.

"Sarah, Sandy's doing my hair before the audition and I probably won't be back today after ten."

"So long as you've emptied those boxes, I can handle the shop floor. I fancy a cuppa now anyway."

"How many customers?"

"It's just as easy to name them: Mrs McIntosh, Mrs Doherty, Cathy McPherson and Julianne Sutherland."

"You know Julianne?"

"For years, since she was at school with Emily."

"Oh, I wasn't sure where she came from."

"Her uncle owns the chemists on Olrig Street and she used to work there during school holidays. Watch her though, her nickname was Radio Sutherland."

"Radio Sutherland?"

"Yes, she broadcasts everything to everyone, there's no malice but just be careful."

"She's admin at St Andrews."

"You best warn everyone, and keep her away from the confidential files." Tammy wondered then, if there was no malice, why Julianne hadn't been happy to see Tammy the previous lunchtime.

"What's happened about your bank appointment by the way?"

"I couldn't get down on Wednesday and neither could any of the staff apparently. It's been postponed to next Wednesday at half past nine, if you can get down here?"

The kettle had boiled so Tammy made the coffees and they munched their pastries. At a minute to ten Tammy flew out of the door with flakes of pastry still on her lips, wiping that clean meant smearing her lipstick.

"What have you been up to, young lady? Going for the most boys in five minutes kissing record were you?"

"No Sandy, I forgot to clean and redo my makeup."

"Here's some wetwipes, clean it all off properly then we'll get you over a sink."

"Thanks."

Joanne put her head out of her torture chamber.

"Hello Tammy, ready when you are."

"I hadn't booked a waxing."

"Maybe not but your last wax was seventeen of December, a whole month ago. It won't take long, a half-leg will probably be enough. Sandy can I have her for twenty minutes?"

"Sure, but no longer."

That sealed Tammy's fate so she shuffled into the room and started disrobing.

"Oooh, we need to sort out the pits and your arms, let's get going! No time for chat!"

True to her word, she was finished in twenty minutes but Tammy was certain Joanne had skimped on the moisturiser to save time. So far as the chat went, she didn't want a conversation, just the gory facts about John Hibbert's proposal to Tanya and the events that followed.

"Welcome back Tammy, let's crack on, we have just over half an hour left!"

Tanya was on hair washing duty, at least until she was due to report to the theatre, so Tammy sat in the chair and tipped her head backwards. Over the far side of the salon Tammy could hear John who was just getting out of Sandy;s chair where he'd spent the past fifteen minutes. His future mother-in-law was now tapping her foot, waiting for Tanya to finish with Tammy.

While Sandy was busy around Tammy's hair with comb and scissors, her staff continued with the other clients although Tanya had to be told, firmly, that she was there to work and not to show off her engagement ring or her fiancé. It was almost a pointless instruction given that it was roundly ignored.

By five to eleven all three eighteen year olds were ready to leave, there was just one small matter.

"You also owe for Joan's pampering on Tuesday so that's sixty pounds please Tammy."

Unfortunately her purse only held half of that. A sign on the counter said, simply 'We don't take cards.'

"Err, sorry Sandy but I haven't been to a cashpoint since last weekend. Can I see you later?"

"I will be doing this week's accounts tomorrow so I expect that to be paid today, now go!"

The three started towards the theatre but Tammy first wanted to get some cash out, putting two hundred into her purse.

"Blimey Tammy, why not take out what you need, when you need it?"

"John, I was attacked at this cash point in November so I don't use one when I'm on my own any more. That cash will last me until next weekend, possibly longer."

"Oh, I'd forgotten about that."

Tanya punched his arm through their heavy coats, the ground was clear but the air was bitterly cold. They walked briskly to the Mill Theatre, arriving there ten minutes later.

"Where have you three been?" The musical director was not pleased to see them.

"Good morning Sandy."

"Tammy, I'm not happy, the three of you could have been here to help me audition the younger ones."

"We were told eleven o'clock."

"And you couldn't even make it here for that." Tanya now had here coat scarf and gloves off and Sandy Franklin caught sight of Tanya's ring. Tanya held it up and gripped John tightly.

"Oh, congratulations. Did he do it properly?"

"Oh yes, asked Mum first then got down on one knee in the hotel last night."

"You've got a good one there, Tanya, just keep him close."

"I plan to."

"Now, all three of you have exams coming up." They nodded. "I'm concerned about the impact on your school work."

"Sandy, Tammy and I are reading Macbeth at school and we're putting on an in-school production a few weeks before this one. I'm playing Macbeth and Tammy's ....."

"I get the picture. Let's do a test, can you give me the 'Out damn spot speech?'" She offered Tammy a script, but she declined.

Tammy stood at the front of the stage and delivered the piece, a spotlight was switched on:

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say!—One; two: why, then
'tis time to do't.—Hell is murky.—Fie, my lord, fie, a soldier, and
afeard? What need we fear who knows it, when none can call our
pow'r to accompt?—Yet who would have thought the old man to
have had so much blood in him?

There was clapping from the stalls; Iain Brown stood and walked up the stage steps.

"Very good, we need to work on the delivery but I suspect you've prepped for this?"

"In class and indoors, Iain."

"Do you want to do her?"

"I'm playing her in a school production so it's no hardship."

"That's not what I asked, do you want to play her?"

"Yes."

"She's yours for the refusing. Now, Miss Smith and Mr Hibbert, what about you two? Sandy, can you get a bucket of water to separate them please."

"Certainly, oh to be young again."

It turned out that Iain already had his Macbeth, a twenty year old student called Mark, who wasn't previously known to the director.

"So, John, I can offer you Duncan?"

"I was killed off in West Side story too."

"You're perfect for the role then."

"Thanks."

"Tanya, TANYA, I don't think you're fit to do anything right now."

"Sorry, Iain"

"Witch?"

"Yes, thanks."

"Okay, the other witches are Josie Richardson and Angela Small."

That surprised Tammy as she'd assumed Angela was handling the lights again, so who put that spot on her? She spotted Josie the far side of the stage, looking nervous, Tammy waved for the younger girl to come over.

"Hi Josie, you've met John already, this is Tanya his fiancée."

"Hi Tanya."

"Oh, hi."

"Sandy, where's that bucket of water?"

It was gone midday when the gang left the theatre, their numbers swelled by Angela, Josie and Mark. Angela was asking Tammy about Michael when Mark became uncomfortable; John noticed.

"What's the problem?"

"It's awkward, maybe I shouldn't have come to the theatre."

"Look, we're just worried in case we've said anything out of place."

"Well, I was with Michael last night when he was hurt."

"So you dumped him." Tammy wasn't happy.

"How would you know that?"

"I've lived with the McPhersons for a couple of months. When I found out what happened I went to the hospital with Michael last night then got him home. Where were you?"

"I thought people wouldn't understand."

"I understand that you ran out on your boyfriend because of someone else's issues? I'll have you know that John McPherson attacked me several times and is going to trial because of it. That toad who pulled the knife on Michael will get what's coming to him and John will get a longer sentence."

Mark stood looking at his feet for a minute.

"I've been an idiot, haven't I?"

"Yes."

"Who was that girl who was with him this morning?"

"My former bodyguard and now our in-house investigator."

"Bodyguard?"

"Yeah, that's the trouble when terrorists try to abduct you, twice, you need personal protection and the Metropolitan police involved."

"Guys, is she for real?"

"Yes, ask any of the local police." Tanya's offering.

"Who the hell am I dealing with here?"

"An average school girl, that's all." Angela delivered this deadpan.

Tammy, John, Tanya and Angela burst out laughing, Josie just shook her head. Angela was happy to be involved in this banter but was starting to feel the cold, and hunger. "Lunch?"

***

They ate in a small sandwich bar; it wasn't brilliant but it appeared that Mark and Josie were known there. Tammy resolved to introduce them to the concept of the hotel bar the following weekend. They'd all been sent away with homework, of course, to read the script before next Saturday when rehearsals commenced. The witches were warned that they might have to stand in for Tammy so had to learn her part as well as their 'toil and trouble' parts. Tammy wondered quite what the other customers thought of three girls cackling away:

Tanya as the first witch:

"When shall we three meet again?
In thunder, lightning, or in rain?"

 
Josie as the second witch:

"When the hurlyburly's done,
When the battle's lost and won."

 
Angela as the third witch:

"That will be ere the set of sun."

 
Tanya:

"Where the place?"

 
Josie:

"Upon the heath."

 
Angela:

"There to meet with Macbeth."

 
Of course, four girls were giggling loudly after this while John and Mark looked embarrassed.

"John, Tanya, when's the engagement party?"

"Erm, don't know."

"Best get organised. Have you told your folks, John?"

"Not yet, Tammy."

"Soon?"

"Later today."

"You also need to tell Cambridge you're turning them down."

"Yes, of course. I still want to do law but I'm not sure if they offer it at the college here."

No-one there knew the answer to that question so John would have to do some research. Mark snuck outside and made a phone call, he was back a few minutes later but wasn't happy.

"I don't know if Michael's going to forgive me."

"Give it time."

The group split up shortly after that, Tammy and Angela walked with Tanya and John as far as Sarah's shop.

"Hold on a minute Tanya, can you give your mum the money I owe her?"

Tammy counted out three twenty pound notes and handed them over, the lovers now continued their way to the salon. Tammy now tried the shop door but the shop was locked and Sarah's 'Out for lunch' sign was hung inside the door. Tammy made an educated guess and headed for the Castletown with Angela in tow.

"Angela, did you put that spot light on me?"

"Yes, I was showing the new guy how to operate the board and steer the spots."

"When did you decide to act?"

"This morning, Sandy and Iain guessed Tanya would take the part of a witch and had one part left to allocate. I figured it wasn't a big part and I could get away with it, maybe even take part in school too."

"So who's doing the lights?"

"Jimmy Sutherland, his sister works at the school."

Tammy kept 'Radio Sutherland' to herself, for now. They'd reached the hotel entrance and Tammy's guess was correct, they found Sarah sat with another lady.

"I wondered if you'd find me here? Penny, could I introduce two of my staff: Tammy Smart and Angela Small. Girls, this is Penelope Lane, she works for one of my suppliers and has seen your photos on the facebook page."

"Oh, it's just for fun Miss Lane. Sarah couldn't afford publicity or advertising so we did it ourselves."

"I loved what you did as Sarah is now ordering much more from us."

"That's good news, but you can't be up here on a Saturday just for that?"

"Correct, Tammy. As part of our spring offensive we are planning provincial fashion shows around the country in conjunction with our stockists. We'd like Sarah to host a fashion show with local models - like you."

up
419 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Penelope Lane?

Page of Wands's picture

Sooooooo, how many "Penny Lane" jokes do you think she's heard over the years?

So, Penny Lane is now going

So, Penny Lane is now going on a spring offensive?


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

ooh errr!

It appears that there are many linked people in such a small place as Thurso, now its the Sutherlands, I hope they don't mess with our girls prescriptions!!!!

Small town

Greetings

Thurso is a small town and the older residents will have been there for generations. Incomers will take a long time to learn who is related to who. At least there are a numbers of shops and you don't need a sign saying "Next shop 26 miles", which I saw some years ago in northern Scotland.

Thank you to Shiraz for the continuing saga.

Brian

The town of Thurso seems like

The town of Thurso seems like one of those ones where maybe 5-6 families initially made it up and it has expanded a little to allow others to move in. I visited a very small town in New Hampshire like that, and went to the post office to see if I could get directions to some family friends that lived there, when I was passing through from a recent return from Germany. (back in 1973). I gave the post office mistress their names, and she said "oh, the new people". I looked at her and said "new people", they have lived here for some thirty years. She replied, if they were not born and raised here, they are new people to us. Janice

I Wonder

joannebarbarella's picture

Is this the Penny Lane who writes Somewhere Else Entirely?

Young love,

Though Mike's boyfriend does sound like he needs to get his priorities straight.

He's young.

WillowD's picture

This knife attack is probably the first time he has experienced violence worse that a school yard fight. That's pretty scary. I can easily see his first response is to step away from the danger of being involved with more violence.

Her card is filling up

Jamie Lee's picture

Tammy has her fingers into a lot of pies. And gets into more when she believes it's her business. Trying to juggle all these things can start to cause her to forget or decide to put important things off that should have been dealt with immediately.

With everything she's been through, with everything on going, and with the plans in the works for the Smart and Small families, a trigger will come about that causes Tammy to have a close break down. Tammy may believe she can handle all of the things she's involved in, but reality has a way of reminding a person they aren't superhuman.

Others have feelings too.

Why

Do I think that radio Sutherland is going to be an even bigger problem? And the wedding is not going to be a good thing for two very young people? And the modeling just has to be a set up? Am I just being too suspicious of our favorite devious author?