Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2554

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2554
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

The sound of multiple hoof beats announced the arrival of the mouseketeers who demanded to know what happened.

“We’ve appointed two nice ladies to look after the house for us, and you’re all going to help them.”

“What?” went with the puzzled expressions.

“They’ll have plenty to do without you making work for them, so I want you all to make sure you put your dirty things in the correct laundry basket, and hang up your clean stuff in your wardrobes. You will all continue to learn how to look after yourselves like young women should, and if I don’t have time to show you, then Helen or Lorraine will.

“While they work for me, they are not servants, they are my helpers...”

Trish started saying something about Santa’s little helpers which caused the others to giggle but my glower stopped it in its tracks and they fell back to silence.

“It’s been very difficult getting help so I don’t want anyone to spoil things. I therefore want you all on your best behaviour, okay?”

They all sighed but agreed.

“They know nothing about you, so as far as they’re concerned you’re all normal young women. I’d like to see you all behave as such. Lorraine starts next week, Helen the week after. They won’t normally be working together. You’ll get the hang of it anyway. Remember, the reason they are here is to help me so I don’t get so tired and have more time for my work and for my family—which means you.”

They all cheered.

“It’s going to take a while for them to learn how I like things, so I don’t need you complicating the issue. Any questions?”

Somehow Danielle beat Trish off the mark. “I’ve got a match tomorrow, any chance you could take me, Mummy?”

“What time?”

“One o’clock kick off.”

“Yeah, okay, I’ll ask David to do an evening meal.”

“Thanks, Mum, you’re the best. Oh, can I have some money to get some more eyeliner?”

“No, you’ve got your own money, spend some of it.”

“Aww, I’m saving for some new clothes.”

“And some eyeliner is going to delay that by weeks is it?”

“All right, can I go to town then?”

“Tell David if you’re not here for lunch, be back in time for dinner.”

“Can I bring Cindy back, for dinner, I mean?”

“If you tell David beforehand.”

“I will, thanks, Mum.”

“I’m not running her home so you’d better check with her mother first.”

“I will,” she called leaving the room.

“Which one is which?” asked Trish showing me photos of both our new housekeepers arriving.

“Where did you get these?”

“I took them.”

“Please delete them, you know which is which I told you earlier—and don’t take any more surreptitious photos, it’s against the law.” I didn’t know if it was or wasn’t true, I hoped it would stop her doing things like that which I thought was creepy but to Trish it seemed logical—wanna see what they look like, take photos—noooo.

The girls should have been playing soccer themselves for school but it was cancelled, the other team’s pitch was waterlogged. Pity, it would have used up some energy. Instead after lunch we went for a bike ride, then we took the two little ones off to feed the ducks. Cate chased after one and fell in some mud and cried until we got her home and in the bath. Some days...

When I thought of Danni and Cindy going into town I remembered the day they were chased by the yobs from her old school. They wouldn’t chase her now unless they wanted a date, she had quite quickly turned into first class school boy crumpet. She didn’t realise how attractive she was and with such a lovely figure so she stayed mostly with other girls. Once she knew it, she’d likely be a right little minx. At least she couldn’t get pregnant, but she’s still only coming up fourteen, so well under age for grown up games, no matter what she will one day think and argue with me. I worry sometimes what will happen when she goes away with her football teams. I guess I’ll just have to trust her.

Nothing else happened that day and switching the main meal to the evening on the Sunday, suited David very well—he was helping Lorraine move some of her stuff into the cottage. He did roast leg of pork which was delicious.

In the morning after breakfast, I did some survey work assisted by Livvie who typed stuff onto the computer as I called it out. I was able to feed Lizzie while I worked because Liv was doing the two handed stuff—she’s quite a good typist. An early lunch followed and Danielle went off to change for her footie. I did too, putting on some warm clothes and shoving my walking boots in the boot of the car. If I stood on the touchline I wasn’t going to get cold feet which wellingtons would cause. Just in case I took my iPad, so I could do some work or read the paper via the internet.

That was what happened, Pompey ladies thrashed Hastings ladies by four goals to one. Danni made one goal and scored two of the other three. She could have had a hat trick but passed to let one of her team mates get on the score sheet. It would have been obvious to a blind man she was a level above the others in football skills. If she didn’t make England school girls, then they must have some really useful players. Unbeknownst to both of us, one of the England coaches was watching the match. After dinner that evening I had a phone call to ask me if she’d be available for a training game the following Wednesday. Thinking it was her club I told her she trained with them on Wednesdays, so what was going on? When the chap told me it was an England schools training day, I nearly dropped the phone.

Mima came past as I put the phone down and I asked her to send Danielle down to me. “Give this note to Sister Maria on Monday.”

“Okay,” she said and turned to leave.

“Don’t you want to know what it’s about?”

“You want to tell Sister Maria something, I s’pose.”

“That’s true, you’re not interested in knowing what?”

“It’s probably about Trish.”

“It isn’t, it’s about you.”

“Oh, what have I done now?”

“You played a blinder, that’s what.”

“Yeah, so?”

“England schoolgirls want you for a training session on Wednesday evening at Reading again.”

“But I’m busy on Wednesday with my club...”

“Did you hear what I said?”

“Yeah, Engl... oh shit, oh shit—it’s a selection game. I could get a call up and either be a reserve or actually play. Oh wow, Mummy.” She was laughing and crying and bouncing round my study and I felt as excited as she was. The fact we’d changed her name from Maiden to Cameron, should help stop her being recognised but it was still a risk and once she’d calmed down I had to remind her. I hoped it wouldn’t happen but you never can tell, especially if she was picked and scored a goal or something—then the local press might pick up on it and if there was a photo she could be recognised. I asked her how she’d fancy being a redhead. She paused and nodded. I’d ask Julie to do it for her—it might help her disguise.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
263 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Even allowing for the

fact Cathy thinks Danielle should change her hair colour, You cannot help but think that the very fact the Danni's surname is now Cameron could put the ever hungry reporters on her trail, One little slip is all it will take and then Cathy and Simon will have to hope Jason can do his stuff...

I think i said a couple of days back that Trish would make a good politician, After today and her surreptitious pictures maybe the head of MI5 might be more to her taste ....

Kirri

Fun and Games

littlerocksilver's picture

Cathy, keep helping your beautiful daughter mature. I know you will do a great job. A red head, eh, that should be interesting.

Portia

A Red head eh? Nice. I

A Red head eh? Nice. I have a dear friend who is a natural redhead, and she has a bumper sticker on her car that states "Never underestimate the power of a Redhead". Some players just may underestimate Danni on the pitch until she starts playing.

I can prove

Angharad's picture

I'm a natural redhead...on second thoughts perhaps I won't.

Angharad

Redheads! Just in case ....

.... the caption below 'my' picture is too small to read, it says:

"You can sleep with a blonde, you can sleep with a brunette, but you'll never get any sleep with a redhead."

Go for it, Danni! (And Ang)

Redhead on the pitch!

Podracer's picture

Well, she'll be noticed..
Growing up, aren't they all?

"Reach for the sun."