Tamara's Trials - Chapter 22 "Lunch With Mother"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Trials - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part Twenty Two

 

"Lunch with mother"

 

 
Saturday 31st January
 

"Good morning everyone and thank you for participating in, what we hope, will be a fantastic production of Macbeth. For those who don't know me I'm Sandy Franklin and I am normally the musical director for the Mill Theatre but today I'm the temporary director whilst Iain is busy at work."

There were mumbled greetings from the cast.

"I'd especially like to welcome Yusuf back and hope that everyone will make him feel welcome."

Tammy was one of the first to offer to shake hands with Yusuf. The previous weekend Sandy had told Tammy that Yusuf was autistic but very bright, how he'd managed to upset Iain so much was still debatable.

The rehearsal went well and everybody had obviously read the script. There were issues with pronunciation and timing but it was coming together.

"Well done, everybody, ten o'clock next Saturday and please be on time. Tammy, can I see you?"

Tammy walked over to Sandy.

"Thanks for staying, I'd really like to thank you for letting me know what happened last Saturday. I finally got hold of Iain late on Sunday and gave him a piece of my mind."

"Myself and Tanya were confused as to why he would have been there if he wasn't any good? Then Josie told us that you had brought him along so we knew the issue was Iain and not Yusuf."

"As I said in the email, your suspicions were correct. Now, I shouldn't be telling you this but you know Iain has been involved in an investigation?"

"Yes, he said something last week."

"Well he's been getting stressed over it and I think that's why he snapped at Yusuf instead of asking the boy if anything was wrong."

"Understandable."

"Anyway, what I meant to say is that my husband is also on this investigation and your name was mentioned."

"Oh, investigating me?"

"No, no, just that they might need to talk to you again."

"Again, so it's an existing case?"

"That's my impression. Thing is, don't be upset if they ask to see you."

"Thanks Sandy but I'm kinda used to giving statements to the police. I wonder though, can you help me here?"

"What is it?"

"Do you know about Sarah's new shop?"

"Yes, it opens on the the nineteenth."

"That's right. Anyway I actually own the shop and I'd like to do something special for Sarah for the opening ceremony."

"Nothing surprises me where you're concerned! I'm a manager at the library so I can't see there being much connection to a clothes store."

"No, the theatre group. I was hoping we could have an appearance by some of the cast in order to get press publicity."

"I like the idea but it's a week day."

"It's in half term week, anyone eighteen or under should be available."

"True, but is Macbeth appropriate? It's hardly a jolly play and we don't have the costumes yet."

"I was thinking we could do a song from West Side Story, it would only need Tanya and me plus one or two of the boys."

"That's a great idea. Tickets go on sale that week so the theatre would get bookings."

"See if you can get a poster? We can put that in the window of the old shop."

"I'll talk to the theatre's media guy."

"One other thing?"

"Yes?"

"My mother would like some photos from West Side of me?"

"I'll email some to you."

"Thanks."

"No problem. Can you speak to Tanya et cetera and let me know which characters you want to use?"

"Sure, bye."

"Bye."

***

After the previous week's interest Sarah had been quiet and it was clear by ten in the morning that Tammy wasn't needed back. This suited Tammy so she walked briefly with Josie, who'd waited, to collect cash from the ATM and then to the hotel to meet her mother; just the two of them. She found Tara sat alone at the bar, again, nursing a long glass.

It didn't look as if Tara was going to move, especially after she patted the seat of the adjacent stool. Tammy lifted herself onto it, sweeping her long skirt as she sat.

"Hello dear," Tara took a look at her daughter, "you got the make-up off then?"

"Hello mother. It wasn't a dress rehearsal, we don't start those until April."

"Drink?"

"Just a coffee."

"You can drink, you know. Want to try one of these?"

"No thanks, I might be driving later."

Tara seemed to miss the last comment as she had set the barman to work, making Tammy's skinny latté, while pondering her next question.

"Who's in charge at the theatre?

"Iain, he's a senior police officer and Sandy who's a manager at the library, why?"

"I just want to make sure you're safe."

"I have plenty of friends there too, including two or three from school."

"Are any of them interested, you know, in you?"

Tammy blushed. "No, mum, but apparently I'm getting a reputation as a match-maker."

"How come?"

"One boy, John, has now proposed to a girl I introduced him to."

"And that girl is forever grateful."

Tammy spun around to find Tanya grinning, the two kissed on the cheek.

"How long have you been there?"

"Just long enough. As you know, mum wanted me back at the salon as soon as we were finished at the theatre. You were seen walking in here later on by one of mum's customers so she sent me along once I'd finished a client."

"Oh, Tanya this is my mother, mother this is Tanya who will be marrying John and was my co-star for West Side Story."

"Pleased to meet you, Mrs Smart."

"It's Simpson now." Tanya nodded and turned back to speak to Tammy.

"Mum wants to know when she can see you next?"

"How long has it been?"

"A fortnight."

"Err, I need it done, don't I?" Tammy put a hand to her head, feeling her hair.

"Hey girl, I wasn't going to say anything!"

"But it was okay to think it!"

"I've got to go back, mum has an opening at three if you want it?"

"I'll take it, Joanne too if possible."

"I'll let her know, bye."

They let Tanya disappear before Tara spoke. "Nice girl, does she do everything at that speed?"

"Pretty much so. Are we going to order lunch?"

"Sure."

They moved to a table and looked at the menu, it was close to one thirty, Tammy chose an omelette.

"I guess her mum is a hairdresser?"

"Yes, she's another Sandy."

"So who's Joanne?"

"She does waxing."

"Does she know?"

"Yes."

That conversation ended there and small-talk took over although Tammy, and Tara, were avoiding the forthcoming trial in London. Tara was also seemingly unaware of the Scottish connection.

They'd finished lunch, including a little dessert, by half two. Tara had refilled her glass and Tammy had switched to fruit juice but needed the loo. She found Jill Davison in there.

"Hello Tammy, is that your mother?"

"Yes."

"I didn't want to talk at the table but I've had a referral from the school, I'm guessing that you know who?"

"I do, I suggested they saw you."

"Okay, when are you next seeing me?"

"I don't know, I thought I would just deal with Julian now?"

"I think we need to keep a dialogue, I'll send you an appointment when I'm next in work."

"Okay."

As Tammy walked back to the table a few minutes later.

"You took your time." Thanks, mum.

"I was talking to a friend." No need to mention she's a shrink, thought Tammy.

"Well this lady walks up and starts talking to me while you left me all on my own."

"As I said last night, this isn't London and people are friendly here."

"She seemed to know you, told me how proud I must be of everything you've done and how you stood up to the bullies. What bullies, you never mentioned anything?"

"Three reasons, you had your own troubles, were six hundred miles away and lastly you never paid much attention to how I was doing anyway."

Tara looked as if she was going to blow but instead started crying.

"I'm so sorry, I must have been a horrible mother?"

Tammy hesitated then moved to put her arm around her mother.

"Mum, I can't change the truth; I was an inconvenience to your lifestyle so much so that you only came to Thurso three times before this weekend and then only saw me twice. I can't change that and neither can you. What we can try to do is to try better, to talk and to listen. I can do that if you can?"

"I will. I will."

Tammy gave her mother a kiss then moved back to give Tara space. Looking around it seemed that no-one was paying any particular attention to the pair of them.

Tara found a tissue in her bag and dabbed her eyes before excusing herself to the Ladies. Someone attracted Tammy's attention, she looked up to see one of Sarah's customers waving at her. Tammy couldn't remember the woman's name and guessed she didn't know too much, she smiled back then turned away.

Tara made a note of the time on the way back, looking at the clock behind the bar.

"You've fifteen minutes before your hair appointment, is it far?"

"Only five minutes away."

"Good, who are these bullies then?"

"Different people, for different reasons, including your mate Freddy's friends."

"The police asked me if I knew anyone them, they never said why."

"They would have asked you anyway, it's just that two of them tried to kidnap me in order to get you out of hiding."

It took Tara a while to process this information.

"Kidnap?" She whispered?

"Yes, one attempt was in here, just over there." She pointed towards the toilets.

"How, what?"

"He pulled a knife but he was disarmed and arrested straight away. I had a Police Officer nearby."

"That must have been awful."

"It wasn't fun but I got over it and I'm not afraid to walk on my own."

"I don't know if I would be that brave."

Tammy didn't answer that.

"Sorry mum, I best get going as I need a wee before I go."

"Off you go then."

Whilst in the cubicle she sent her father a text telling him she'd be clear by four, or thereabouts. A simple 'ok' was the reply.

Tara received another kiss before Tammy slipped her coat on and headed for the door. Behind her, Tara was ordering a refill.

Of course Tanya wanted to know everything but Tammy wasn't telling much, certainly not in a busy salon, and especially not as Joanne put her head out of the torture chamber.

"Come on, I have twenty minutes according to the boss."

Tammy detached herself from Tanya and was thankful to be in a quiet space.

"I see we need to do some tidying up, but I'm not sure if there's enough hair on your top lip for the wax to grip to but I'll see what I can do."

Tammy was not prepared for the pain, the results were also piecemeal.

"I said it wouldn't be perfect, there's a few other options including IPL and electrolysis but I don't have a certificate to do those here. The other option is hair removal creams but they're not kind to skin, especially young skin."

"Just see what you can do, I'll see about ordering something I can use at home."

"Fair enough, lets sort out your arms and legs. You're not swimming soon, are you?"

"No, our pool won't be built for a few months." Joanne was already spreading hot wax on Tammy's leg.

"Pool?"

"We've bought the Doherty's place and we'll put a pool in the barn behind the house."

"I know the place, Janet had be up there one day to tidy her up but without her husband George knowing, until much later that was."

"I thought you didn't gossip?"

"I didn't say what was done, did I?"

"Ouch."

"Sorry, you mustn't distract me."

***

She walked out of the salon just after four and walked to the small town centre carpark, spying a green Mini Cooper.

"Hi Dad."

"Get in, I figured you could drive yourself home."

"Can I go around the carpark once or twice to get the hang of it again?"

"Once, then we're on the road. Plan your route before we set off so you're not stuck at junctions."

"Okay."

The route itself wasn't difficult but included a junction with traffic lights, the first she'd encountered, as well as a pedestrian crossing.

"Pull in at Dunbankin, I want to check the post and see how the work's going."

It seemed odd walking into an empty house that looked so bare. Tammy could see decorators' sheets in the lounge and dining room whilst some cabling was being installed in the hallway. Only the kitchen looked normal, albeit with the fridge missing.

Richard went through a small stack of mail, identifying those that needed to be forwarded to the Dohertys.

"Here's one we need to deal with, the electoral roll."

"Why?"

"You were added to the list for the Enfield house when you were seventeen but we'll all have to register here, especially as there's a General Election pretty soon."

"Fewer that one hundred days apparently."

"Yes, so we need to do this soon. Do you want to have a look around while you're here?"

"Please."

There really wasn't much to see as the furniture hadn't been delivered and the bedrooms were still a work in progress.

Back indoors Tammy decided she needed a shower and just put a onesie on afterwards. She walked down to the sitting room, looking for the daily paper. Elsie looked up from a book she was reading.

"Good lunch?"

"I think we're making progress."

"Good, it would have been so easy for your relationship with your mother to deteriorate into a slanging match."

"I guess that, but we've agreed to do better for the future. I said we couldn't fix the past."

"That's very mature."

"Thanks Elsie."

"That's alright Tammy, I don't want to see you bitter towards your mother and I think you have the means to fix your relationship. You didn't come back here moaning and complaining, did you?"

"No, but I had an appointment at the salon after lunch."

"You didn't say you were going there?"

"I was caught, Sandy Smith decided I needed to see her, purely for maintenance of course."

Richard walked into the sitting room.

"I was going to tell you to get dressed, but your mother just called, she's not feeling too brilliant so doesn't want dinner. Was she okay when you saw her?"

"Yes, apart from a few refills."

"I see. I take it you didn't have any alcohol?"

"No."

"Okay, what are we doing about dinner?"

"I don't know."

Elsie looked up, "I'm out to dinner, Michael's with his friend and you were eating out so I gave the kitchen staff the night off."

Richard looked at Tammy then called Joan.

"Have you started anything for dinner?"

"Not yet, why?"

"Fancy a Ruby?"

"Yes, I don't know if Angela will want one though, George didn't like Indian food."

"Angela had a curry when we were in London, she's fine."

"Okay, you ordering?"

"Yes, I'll get a selection. Six o'clock?"

"Fine, I'll see you here. Angela's in her onesie, I'll get her to change."

"No need, this one's in a babygrow too and we were supposed to be out to dinner!"

"Daughters!"

up
396 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Babygrow

I must mention that to my eighteen-yearold next time I find her slobbing in front of the TV.

Keep it coming, please!

Stillian

why!

One of those unanswered questions of the universe! why do girls have to announce all the time that they,"are going for a wee" whats wrong with, " I just need to powder my nose- I just need to use the bathroom - I just need to visit the little girls room" but I suppose anything is better than what the average bloke says, giggle. It would be easier for all if Tanya gets banged up for a few years or sent to the colonies, can we still do that? rather than watch her slump into alchoholic self sympathy, blighting these pages.- yes I know I am cruel and heartless

Weeeee

shiraz's picture

"I'm going for a wee" is not a statement of intent relating to one's bladder but actually a ritual call to the herd to gather, in twos or threes, for vocal intercourse.
shiraz_sig.png

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

So, it's really not "I'm

So, it's really not "I'm going for a wee" but rather "Wee need to talk"?


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

We talk in the stalls,

I have been initiated into that particular ritual. You need not know the person in the stall next to you to participate.

Since I have transitioned I find I talk a lot more. Seems to go with the new brain chemistry, and feels natural and good.

"Daughters!"

giggles.

DogSig.png

Can't Go Alone

joannebarbarella's picture

Males go in ones. Females go in multiples.

I remember work in the 1970's

One of the ladies on the line would get up and announce "I've got to go to the bathroom, does anyone else need to go?"

"Why yes, I think I do!".

Half the production line would shuffle off while this supervisor glared, knowing he was powerless and not liking it one bit. He was a guy of course.

Regrets?

Jamie Lee's picture

Getting together with Tara went better than expected. Given the resentment about being pawned off to the school, because Tammy would have interrupted Tara's life style, Tammy did quite well not coming unglued after some of Tara's comments.

Tara not only regrets not having been more involved in Tom's life, she's worried about her own problems, given the number of drinks she was having. Either that or she's become an alcoholic. She's hurting, feeling empty, alone, angry at herself for the mess she's in. Wondering where she goes from here, how she moves on with Tammy.

Iain handing over rehearsal to Sandy, with Yusuf ' s return, because he's working a case, has Tammy wondering what case? Yet she didn't try to find out which case or if it involved her. Maybe she's learning when to dig deeper and when to butt out.

Others have feelings too.