Tamara's Trials - Chapter 25 "Checks and Balances"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Trials - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part Twenty Five

 

"Checks and Balances"

 
 
Tuesday 3rd February
 

Richard had clearly spoken to Elsie either late on Monday evening or early on Tuesday morning because the grounds staff were very active as Tammy waited for the school bus at eight thirty. One of the staff was no further than ten feet away the whole time, checking and rechecking, it seemed, the pointing in a stone wall.

The bus finally arrived a minute or two adrift of normal timings so she clambered aboard.

It seemed everyone knew that Tammy had been absent the previous day though not all connected this to the reason for the Head's or Angela's absences, only those who were aware of George Small's dislike and, eventually, hatred, of Tammy knew why she had to be at the inquest.

"I hope there will be no more absences, Miss Smart?"

"No Sir, I don't believe I have any planned."

"Good, keep it that way."

Business Studies was a double period leading up to lunchtime.

"Today we're looking at business failure and how to minimise the risk. Most of the risk is financial so we'll examine two sets of accounts for a startup at six and twelve months. Firstly though, let's look at the business plan to identify any likely failure issues, then we'll look at the financial data for the two dates."

Tammy was fully alert and started to analyse the sample business that the Master had given them.

The two hours seemed to fly past, Tammy finished the lesson seemingly with a better understanding of analytical methods although her fulfilment was dampened because Mr Carmichael had set homework that would mean spending a few more hours on the same subject later that day.

Tony Jenkins caught up with Tammy at lunchtime.

"Lori got an appointment to see that doctor."

"Jill?"

"That's her."

"Oh good, how soon?"

"Half-term. I convinced mum it would be better to stay up here than go down there, I can do revision peacefully here, instead of having Ryan making my life hell."

Given that the school catered for students whose parents were often out of the country or otherwise unavailable, half-term didn't apply here in the same way as most schools. Instead of a week off, lessons were only cancelled on the Monday for the lower school. Sixth formers did get the whole week but were normally expected to partake in revision and any whole-school activities.

The flipside to missing most of the three half-term breaks each year was an extra few weeks during summer break and a day or two early finish at Christmas, beating the rush.

"Is there any more news about Ryan?"

"No, but I need to talk to mum as soon as I've seen this shrink."

"Does she know about the shrink?"

"No."

"What about having an adult present? Your eighteenth isn't for a few more weeks?"

"Will she insist?"

"Knowing Jill she will, she can be a right pain at times."

Angela was looking a bit down and had been seen going to her mother's office twice during the morning. She cornered Tammy in the Ladies loo on their way from lunch.

"Why did she have to do that?"

"Yvonne?"

"Yeah, is she going to steal mum's money?"

"I doubt if she's legally entitled to, in any case the Sheriff can sort it out. Seeing how she's recently been convicted on a charge of bribery I doubt if that will hold her in good standing."

"True, but she's nasty."

"Don't I know it."

Tammy's phone pinged.

Phone call from doctor's receptionist, Procedure can be done at Wick Hospital on the 16th

Tammy's face showed mixed emotions.

"I've just been told I can have an orchi in half-term."

"Oh, if that good news?"

"If it helps get my hormones back to normal, then yes. I'm just a little concerned about going under the knife."

"I'm sure it'll be okay."

Angela seemed to bright up and even smiled once or twice in the afternoon during their shared maths lesson. She and John Hibbert had a study period for the last hour of the day.

"Tanya's getting tickets for the Valentines Ball."

"That's fine for the pair of you, but I'd need a partner and I'm not ready for that."

"Don't be a wuss, it's a night out!"

Tammy's phone pinged again.

Call me!

Tammy dialled the number.

"Hi Jill."

"We need to talk."

"We are, right now."

"Don't try to be clever, you are not having that surgery until you've seen me."

"Come on Jill, you know it needs to be done?"

"But is it being done for the right reasons?"

"As far as I'm concerned, it is."

"But I need to be certain. If you're not prepared to see me then I'll cancel the op."

"You can't do that, in any case I'll just go private."

"Nine o'clock tomorrow morning, or else."

"Bu...." The line had gone dead.

Tammy just sat there and started to cry, John moved over to give her a hug.

"I don't know what it is but I guess it's medical?"

"Yes."

"So why the argument?"

"My shrink don't let me have something done without talking to her, at least that's what she thinks."

"What is it?"

"Orchidectomy."

"What's that in English?"

"Removal of the testicles."

"Ouch, I forgot you had any, it is a bit final isn't it?"

"Yes, but it's to help sort out another issue and I don't want them anyway."

"Fair enough, when are you having it done?"

"Two weeks, oh bugger, if I have to go to that appointment in the morning then I should let the office know."

"Check the mirror first."

"I'll do that on the way."

Suitably refreshed and mirror-checked Tammy went to see Mrs Adams at the Secretary office.

"Oh, there's a message on the school's website and something was read out at the assembly yesterday morning about it."

"I wasn't here, I was with Steven, I mean the Head, at the inquest."

"Of course, any off-site appointments for a week or more ahead can come to me whether through form tutors or direct but for less than seven days notice you have to see Mrs Small."

"Right, but we both know how difficult that can be at times!"

"Apparently she can be seen during assembly and morning break for urgent cases."

"I best go to see her then."

Before Tammy could leave, Janet Adams beckoned her to close the office door and check that the connecting door into the conference room was also closed.

"You know about Julianne being arrested last Friday?"

Tammy nodded.

"Well, a Detective Franklin came back here yesterday lunchtime with a computer expert, he had a court order to look at Julianne's emails and the computer she used."

"I know Ben Franklin, his wife is the musical director at the theatre."

"Anyway, the Detective wanted to speak to a few people, not only about Julianne but also Yvonne Stewart."

"I saw both of them in town on Saturday night, I guessed a while back there was a connection but was told I was being silly, in fact hardly anyone believed me when I told them about Yvonne."

Tammy's eyes welled up so started looking in her bag for a packet of tissues but was having difficulty. Janet passed her a tissue.

Sniff. "Thanks. I don't know why I do that, but she was just nasty."

"Tammy dear, it's your hormones, but you are being proven right so take pleasure in that."

"I'll try."

"You'd best see if you can get to Joan's office before half the school wants to see her, the bell's in two minutes."

"Thanks."

***

After dinner Richard explained to Tammy what had been achieved so far that day.

"I don't know how but the phone and broadband are in and working."

"But that wasn't going to happen until tomorrow or Thursday?"

"Exactly, but it's done. I've asked the alarm firm if they can move up a day too."

"Sounds good."

"Yes, I called a firm in Dundee who do safes and they'll drive one up here tomorrow. I wasn't going to worry about one straight away as I could leave sensitive documents in the safe over here, but I'm wondering about this special phone Miss Young mentioned."

"Well, while you were in the loo she asked me to have a look at something and call her using that phone."

"What?"

"Dad, I'm not going to repeat myself."

"Okay, what did she ask you to look at?"

"The business plan and accounts for the fashion show, I've been promised them."

"How does this woman know about that?"

"I asked her, and didn't get a straight answer."

"We need to be careful."

"I know, but if she's a real spook why did she tell us what she did?"

"How much did she really tell us? What did we actually learn? She's good, you know."

"Yeah, how much did we tell her without intending to?"

"Exactly, be careful. Did she ask you for anything specific about these fashion show accounts?"

"No, just to look for something that doesn't make sense, as she put it. We were doing something like that in class today and I have homework on the same subject. Oh, Jill found out about the operation."

"Is that a problem?"

"Yes, she says she'll cancel unless I see her."

"That's a bit unfair."

"It's more than unfair."

"Look Tammy, that operating table is a one-way trip for your testes, there's no way she wants you to have secondary thoughts in the recovery room, or a year after."

"I guess, but couldn't it just be done?"

"Talk with her, when's the appointment?"

"Nine in the morning."

"Blimey, she must really want to see you."

"Yes, what time do I have to be at Wick Hospital on the sixteenth?"

"Eight, and nil by mouth from eight the night before."

"Lovely."

"The receptionist, Mrs Hoskins, said they'll do the premed the same time as your next appointment at the surgery, when's that?"

"Next Tuesday, the tenth, it's at three thirty so I don't miss any school."

"We need to have a shared diary, I'll sort something out."

"Okay."

 
Wednesday 4th February
 

"Come in Tammy."

"Hello Jill, I'm still not happy I have to be here."

"Please sit down, has anyone explained why it's necessary?"

"One or two, but it's my body - right?"

"So long as it's for the right reasons and is subject to the usual checks and balances?"

"It's not some mechanical part. Anyway, Dr Sutherland thought it would help my mood swings and reduce the testosterone in my system."

"Valid reasons but she shouldn't have just booked it plus she doesn't know you as well as I do."

"I'm the patient and I don't see there's a problem, it was a solution to a medical issue."

"Remember, there's no fallback position, this is not reversible."

"I know."

"What if, two years from now, you wanted to have children?"

"Womb transplant?"

"I see you're not going to listen."

"I am listening but I do not see why you are getting wound up about two small balls of tissue that I don't want and won't ever need."

"You're convinced?"

"Yes."

"Do you understand the finality of this?"

"Yes."

"Tammy, are you prepared to sign to say you understand?"

"Yes, yes, bloody yes!"

"I suppose if it reduces the testo in your system then I shouldn't stop you, should I?"

"Hmmmm."

"Ah, the moment I agree with you, you're lost for words."

"Jill, are we going to go through this every time I want something done?"

"After this, unless you want breast implants or cosmetic work done, there's only the GRS to go."

"Let me guess, that's not available through the NHS Choices website?"

"You're being facetious now, our time's up."

"So that's it?"

"Yes, if you want to look at it like that, that is it. There will be a release to sign on the day. Goodbye."

"Okay, bye."

Tammy walked out of the room and collapsed on the floor.

up
430 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Jill is Just Not a Charmer

Did Tammy actually physically collapse (as in serious issue), or was it just tension relief from the confrontation with Jill? Hopefully we'll find out tomorrow.

Alternatives to an Orchiectomy

Julia Miller's picture

Well, Tammy doesn't have to have her testicles removed. There are other ways to block testosterone. The easiest is to simply take a Testosterone blocker. These are just pills that stop the production of testosterone and stop the body from using it. The blocker I take is named Spirolactolone and it works fine for me. My testosterone production is just above nil. Eventually, I will be post-op and not have testicles anymore, but until I decide to do this, the blocker is working fine.

big brother

enb4448's picture

I know doctors have a difficult job to do at times, but a lot of them feel that a persons medical records are on a need to know basis. As Tammy stated, it's her body. If Jill had a problem with Dr Sutherland booking the orchiectomy without consulting her, she should have taken that up with her. not take her ire out on Tammy. Hope Tammy is OK.

Isn't there any other person

Isn't there any other person besides Jill that Tammy can be seen by? Jill has nothing that I would be willing to call a patient oriented "bedside manner." It looks more like it is all about Jill if something doesn't go her way. She is a perfect example of doctors who get in the way of their patients medical well being. Janice Lynn

nasty stuff

Beginning to think that Jill has another agenda on the go! could she be linked with the dreadful Yvonne? Love how Richard isnt trusting anybody, spook, accountant, solicitor or whatever and is watching ther own backs first

Obstinate but not immovable

While the incident of regret is remarkably low, the oft euphoric rush to surgery, once you commence transition, can benefit from tempering.

While Jill's bed-side manner is wanting, she spoke of checks and balances while verifying that Tammy fully understood the ramifications of her intended actions. Ensuring "informed consent" can be demanding, especially in the transgender world.

In Ontario, for many years, we were/I was put through some very humiliating procedures in order to access any sort of medical acknowledgement or or (God forbid! You want what?!) GCS/SRS (see 'The Clarke') and though things have improved immensely, complying with conditions required under the Real Life Test and ensuring informed consent are still taken 'seriously'. It's not pleasant being thwarted when you are convinced, but perhaps it is still prudent.

oh no, what now?

not good ...

DogSig.png

Controlling

I am beginning to think Jill is a control freak. I agree that Jill should be part of a team and not the sole arbiter for Tammy's care and transition. The Standards of Care have been far too punitive and cautious. At times they create more trauma than the bullies.

Thurso

joannebarbarella's picture

Although Jill seems to be close to a control freak, the very fact that there is a psychiatrist with gender-related matters in Thurso is amazing in itself.

Tammy's collapse after leaving her office could be taken as an indication of unreadiness for an orchiectomy. I hope it isn't.

Jill

Something is not right, not right at all with her. Tammy may need to fire this doctor, you do not have to use someone abusive.

Short sighted

Jamie Lee's picture

It's not fully trusted that there isn't someone out there who still wants to hurt Tammy because of George's death and their own hatred. This is proven because of the staff who were close to Tammy while waiting for the school bus. It could also be because of Tara's flat being broken into.

Heather and Sophie have put Richard and Tammy on high alert, after they revealed more about the two than the two knew about them. What they requested to be at their new house and the phone they will receive have help to heighten their caution of the two girls. Tammy and Richard also find it interesting that Tammy has been instructed to analyze data she'll be using for her project.

When it comes to business dealings, Tammy is very analytical, asking questions others didn't know to ask. But when it comes to her health, her being TG, she is very ignorant, short sighted, doesn't know what questions she should be asked. Doesn't think any further than what she wants. The analytical mind she shows in business dealings shuts down when she is challenged about her decisions dealing with her transitioning.

She needs to stop being head strong and listen to the doctors. Even the ones she feels who are keeping her from what she wants.

Others have feelings too.