Pointe Shoes, Chapter 2

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 2

"Have you heard the rumor?" one of the moms asked Aunt Amy in the wardrobe room.

"What rumor? she said as she worked on my tunic for my role in Sleeping Beauty.

"There will be a transgendered child attending the middle school next year," the mom said.

"Oh really?" Aunt Amy said before she told me to stop fidgeting.

"I swear I'm dealing with Meg," she said as she put another pin in the tunic.

"What would you think would happen if that child took class here?" the woman asked my aunt.

"I would hope that child and her family would be treated with respect," my aunt replied. "Can't be easy on them."

The woman didn't have a clue she was talking about me. My therapist contacted the school to tell them one of her clients would be transitioning next year. She did it to guage what kind of reaction I would get, and how it would be handled. She hadn't reported back to Mom about her findings.

Just then, Meg peeked in.

"Oh Collin, Miss Jana said your Gaynor's are in ... ready to start breaking them in?"

By Gaynor's, Meg meant the brand of my pointe shoes, Gaynor Mindens.

I took off the tunic as fast as I could, being careful I wouldn't get stuck by the pins Aunt Amy put in it to stitch it up.

"Aren't we being enthusiastic?" the mom asked. "My Kayla was the same way. I didn't know what boys thought about them."

"I think they're cool," I said as I dashed out to change so I could beat them up and try them on.

"I never knew how much Collin and Meg favor," the mother told Aunt Amy. "I mean, he favors her more than Jack does."

"Jack gets his looks from his father," Aunt Amy said. "Meg and Collin get their looks from my side of the family. Collin's mom, Anna, and I are twins. And our mother always tells us how much they look alike, and act alike."

*****

I admit I felt a little wobbly when I tried them on.

"Everybody feels that way when they put them on," Meg said.

"And it's going to take some time before you can really dance in them." Miss Jana said. "Just ask your Ballet IV mates."

"Can't wait for class," I said. I wanted to dance in them badly.

Madame Kathryn walked by and laughed.

"Another one of my ugly ducklings trying to swim," she said.

I gave her a strange look. Not sure I was entirely pleased with the comment.

Madame Kathryn smiled.

"Oh don't worry," she said. "You remind me of the young, beautiful swan helping you."

Meg looked at her and blushed.

"You knew she was talking about you," Miss Jana said.

Meg shook her head.

"It's going to take a lot of work," Madame Kathryn said. "But I'm sure having a cousin for your mentor would help."

Madame Kathryn then asked Miss Jana what she thought about the company promotions.

"Olga approved them?" Miss Jana asked.

"Yes," Madame Kathryn said.

Two girls were being promoted to senior company.

"And we'll have three moving up to junior company," Madame Kathryn said.

Meg and I were a bit curious. It seemed like they didn't mind talking about it around us.

"Meg, you know senior company is going to require more of a commitment," Madame Kathryn said.

Meg's eyes beamed. She nodded enthusiastically.

Miss Jana padded my bun.

"Don't think you're going to get off easy, Collin," Miss Jana said. "Junior company is no picnic."

I was completely shocked.

The three dancers being promoted to junior company were Lucy, Alli and myself.

"You know what this means?" Meg asked me.

"What?" I asked.

"Junior and senior company dancers have class on Saturday mornings together," she said.

"I'm sure Olga will have fun with the two of them in there together," Miss Jana said.

*****

"You know Amy, when I see them playing video games like this, I still see that boy I thought I had," Mom said, watching Jack and I play a video game in the living room.

"But then I see the ballet bun, the purple tank top and the shorts on over the tights, and I see Colleen," she told her sister. "I mourn for Collin and simpler times. I worry about the days ahead for Colleen."

Just then Meg came into the room.

"Can I play?" she asked.

"Sure," Jack and I said almost at the exact same time.

"The basketball player flanked by ballerinas," Aunt Amy said with a laugh, especially since Meg was dressed pretty much the same way, except her tank top was light blue and the tights were pink.

"I am amazed how Jack seems to be taking things," Mom said. "He and Collin were inseparable."

"Now Meg and Colleen are inseperable," Aunt Amy said. "Got to say, she and Jack have both seemed to have matured a little bit because of it. They get along much better than they used to."

"Don't know what I would do without Meg," Mom said. "She has really been a help in a tough time."

"She worries about Colleen," Aunt Amy said. "We talked half the night about it the other night. She's afraid Colleen won't be accepted. She wants to go the New England Ballet Theater's intensive after their two weeks at Mom's but doesn't want to leave Colleen behind."

"I know," Mom said. "We've been taking it slow, but this summer it's full steam ahead. It would be so much easier to put the brakes on the whole thing. Deep down, that's selfish me talking. But that's not what Colleen wants to do, even though I know she's a little scared, too."

"There was talk about the rumor about a transgendered child going to school in the fall," Aunt Amy said. "Heard it tonight at the studio."

"Can't imagine people at school would be quiet about it," Mom said. "And did I tell you Bert called?"

Bert was my uber-Christian uncle, married to my Aunt Alice.

"Completely shocked by what he said," Mom said. "He said he really didn't entirely agree with what we're doing, but said he and Alice had our backs. He heard about the girl in Ohio who committed suicide because of her religious parents. He said he, Alice and Maya would support Colleen as much as they can."

"Good ole Bert," Aunt Amy said. "He can be a complete ass sometimes, but deep down, he has a good heart."

*****

"Collin, what is my No. 1 rule not to break," Miss Jana asked.

"Do not pique on a bent leg," I said. "Sorry."

"That's okay," Miss Jana said. "Otherwise, you're dancing beautifully."

"Looks like the dance is coming along beautifully," Madame Kathryn said. "They look wonderful dancing together."

Meg and I were rehearsing parts of our school dance. Miss Jana picked out the song Hallelujah for us to dance to.

"There are some pieces to add," Miss Jana said. "I'm thinking about making it the last dance of the school show."

"Would be a good touch," Madame Kathryn said.

"Have you thought any about next year," Miss Jana asked.

"Yes, could really be a storm," She said. "But watch them dance. I have never had two students dance from the heart and soul like they do. God help us if we do anything BUT encourage them."

"Already have a title for the dance," Miss Jana said.

"What are you calling it?" Madame Kathryn asked.

"Two Swans," she said.

up
227 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you

Angharad's picture

for another episode.

Angharad

Thank you,

The joy,beauty and romance of classical ballet ,wonderful !!!

ALISON

Great Chapter

Great chapter Torey. Looking forward to the next one. Love your work.

When I was very young

I wanted so much to be a ballerina. Unfortunately in the 1950s, I got shamed and ridiculed. Watching the video links in "Our Nutcracker Adventure" brought back that longing but unfortunately I don't think this old body could handle it. I love these stories and am really looking forward to the next installments.

Larissa

The comment about.....

D. Eden's picture

Colleen's Aunt and Uncle hearing about "the girl in Ohio" was very nice. I wish I could say that my parents, aunts, and uncles were supportive - but unfortunately I can't.

This has been a wonderful story!

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Great piece of music for the

Great piece of music for the school show, and I do love the name for the dance title. Would be wonderful to be able to see it in person. My two granddaughters lived with me a year while their father was in Iraq on his 4th tour. They both joined a dance school and my younger granddaughter jumped at being given ballet dance training. Looking at her picture in her outfit while I am writing this. Sadly, she got injured a couple years back and can no longer do ballet. Janice

Wonderful Series

I read the first series when it first came out, but had missed the second series somehow. When "Pointe Shoes" was posted as a sequel to the other series, I went back and re-read "My Summer With Meg" and read "Our Nutcracker Adventure" before starting this new series. I really enjoyed the first 2 series, and I'm really looking forward to the new episodes of this sweet and gently story.

Congrats Torey...

You do these stories so well. It touches old dreams for me. I hope it is a touch of encouragement for those now blossoming.

Hugs, JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors