Tamara's Trials - Chapter 50 "School Drama"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Trials - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part Fifty

 

"School Drama"

 

Monday 16th March

Tammy insisted she should go to school even though Sophie was concerned for her safety.

"We can't yet confirm that we have everyone, who else was informed about you? There are two criminal families here, joined together by Linda and Patrick Trethgarwyn. Linda was bailed late last night, I don't know what happened to their nephew though."

"I understand, but I should be safe once I'm in school."

"If I accept that then there's still a risk between here are the school, how do you normally travel?"

"Using the school minibus if I don't have breakfast at school but I've driven myself a few times recently or gone with Joan and Angela."

"You don't have a full driving licence yet."

"No, so I have to have someone with me."

"I'm not happy with you being exposed on the bus so I'll drive you in your car."

"I'd rather drive myself."

"Are you a qualified advanced pursuit driver?"

"No."

"Well, I am."

That was the end of that argument. They parked at the school just as breakfast was finishing but before the minibus had arrived from town. Tammy sought the Headmaster whilst Sophie waited near the entrance, not wishing to be noticed. The Head was more than a little concerned as he invited Sophie and Tammy into his room.

Tammy introduced her simply as Ms Grieve, a police officer.

"Mrs McPherson phoned me early this morning advising me that you would likely see me this morning but she wouldn't say what was going on, except that the police were involved."

"Dr McIntosh, as far as we can tell an attempt was going to be made on the lives of the Smart and Small families yesterday. We do not yet know if we have everyone involved in that in custody."

"Miss Grieve, Are you going to sit in each of her classes and disrupt the school?"

"No, I accept that it is very unlikely that anyone would try something in the school, but I may come back a few times during the day to check the site. I'd prefer it if as few people as possible know about this."

"Are you connected in any way to Dave Brown who was here last week?"

"I know him, yes."

"Are you working for the same agency?"

"I'd prefer not to answer that question but I am a serving police officer with the Met's Counter Terrorism Group." She took her warrant out of her bag for the Headmaster to confirm.

"I see. I'll inform the school secretary or perhaps Miss Smart could do that? I would guess you wouldn't want her to leave her phone in the office today?"

"No, we had enough trouble at the weekend with her. It's also a very expensive Government issued secure handset that must not end up in the wrong hands."

"So long as it doesn't go off and you're discrete when checking it, Miss Smart?"

"Yes, Sir, thank you."

"Now, could you come back once you've seen Miss Grieve off the premises? Mr Hibbert is on his way here."

"Of course, Sir."

Tammy advised Janet Adams in the broadest terms possible that Sophie might be back. Sophie gave the school secretary her card.

"Here's my number. If anyone asks about Tammy, whether on the phone or in person, then I would like to be informed immediately."

"Certainly."

A minute later Tammy walked back to the Head's study whilst Sophie went away to use Tammy's car, John Hibbert was already in the room.

"Now, I had some very positive feedback on Friday from the visitors so well done again for putting on Macbeth at such short notice."

"Sir, despite the circumstances it was fun."

"That's what I'd expect from you Miss Smart. Now, we have a problem with replacing Mr Wright given that it is near impossible to get things moving on a Friday afternoon. It's therefore unlikely that we'll have anyone here until after Easter."

"We'll cope, Sir." John spoke for the pair.

"Indeed Mr Hibbert. Could I ask the pair of you attempt to keep discussion about Mr Wright to an absolute minimum, I'd like the prefects to set an example. Fortunately not many students saw or heard the incidents."

"Yes, Sir."

"So far as his classes are concerned, they can be treated for now as study periods. You'll be expected to complete any coursework already set and will, of course, be able to refer to any of the other masters in the English Department if necessary. Now, I would like work on the play to continue and have decided it will be performed on Thursday the twenty sixth immediately after lunchtime. Do you need any costumes or props?"

"It would be better if we could, although I'm not sure the three witches would agree, Sir."

"It will be an instruction from me, so there will be no discussion on the matter."

"Is there a budget in case I need to purchase anything?"

"Yes Miss Smart, but send me a list first. You can collect the key for the drama store from Mrs Adams, there may well be a cauldron in the store."

"We'll check that now, Sir." Tammy looked at John who nodded. "Could I also ask if I can bring a make-up artist into the school, if she's free?"

"I'll consider it. Could you first pass on my messages to the prefects and the other members of your English class?"

"Of course, Sir."

"I believe that is all?"

"Oh, Sir, I have had a summons from Wick Sheriff's Court."

"In respect of?" John was shocked but the Head seemed to be taking it calmly.

"John McPherson."

"I see, when is that?"

"Next Monday although there's no promise it will only be the one day."

"I'll approve your absence under the circumstances."

"Thank you, Sir."

The pair exited his study and went up to the sixth form common room, there was only a short time before first period. Tammy let John explain the Head's instruction concerning Mr Wright before taking the lead in respect of Macbeth.

"I'm not wearing a frock."

"The Head says you will, end of story."

"I'll look like a friggin' idiot."

"No you won't Mr Froggett, no-one will know it's you under make-up. You could also wear some short heels if you want?"

Froggett went red and almost ran out of the door.

"That was cruel, Tammy."

"He asked about the three inch heels I wore on Friday, I just don't think that brogues would be appropriate on a witch."

"Maybe." John wasn't convinced. "We only have an hour so let's get that key and dig in the drama store."

There wasn't a drama department as such, and the only master with drama responsibility had been Mr Wright. It looked like no-one had been responsible for keeping the store tidy, either.

"It's a mess John, we'll struggle to find anything."

"No we won't. I can see a rail right over the back." John was taller than Tammy, who was wearing flats as usual in school.

He moved several boxes out of the way and reached the rail without difficulty. There were four black robes on hangers, under protective covers.

"I remember these Tammy, we did Tom Brown's Schooldays a few years ago."

"Oh, yes. They'll do for the witches, we'll need black leggings or black tights as well."

"What about Lady Macduff, Tammy?"

"That was Chris Jones, have you seen him yet?"

"No, he should have been on the bus."

"Is that spook Dave Brown still around?"

"No, but someone else has travelled from Cornwall to see me."

"Was it that lady I saw near the main door?"

"Yes."

"Do you remember I said I wanted a make-up artist? I was going to ask Joanne who works for Sandy but what if Tanya does it?"

"I'll ask her at lunchtime, she checks her phone then."

"Okay, I'll see if I can speak to the Head a bit later. What else do we need?"

"You and Chris Jones would both need a dress as Ladies Macbeth and Macduff, whilst me, James and William will want noble style clothing."

"What's here?"

They rummaged and found a few bits that would work, but whether or not they would fit the boys was another issue. John pulled a piece of paper from his jacket pocket and they listed the parts, who was playing what and which clothing they'd found.

"We can ask the theatre if there's anything suitable but I don't think we can justify spending too much?"

"Okay, Tammy, this is a harder job than we thought. What would Wright have done?"

"He wasn't going to bother with costumes, or even props."

John did find a cauldron in the corner so moved that forward. They'd been in the store nearly three quarters of an hour by the time they left. Tammy returned the key.

"Janet, have you heard from Chris Jones?"

"Yes, he rang and said he'd missed the bus, but then he asked if you were okay. I thought that was a little odd."

"Did he say where he was?"

"No, and he sounded frightened. He didn't say whether he would try to get here, either."

"Have you called Sophie?"

"Should I?"

"It might be important, I'll do it." Tammy took her phone from her bag.

"That's not the phone you normally leave with me."

"No it isn't." She found Sophie's number and dialled.

"Hi Tammy, what's up?"

"Christopher Jones, Linda and Patrick's nephew is a student here."

"Yes, he was apparently at their premises yesterday."

"He's just phoned the school asking if I was okay and sounded scared."

"Can you text me his mobile number?"

"Yes."

Tammy rang off, Janet brought the student database up on her screen so Tammy could see Christopher's number. She tapped it into a message and sent it, along with his home address. Her phone was slid back into her bag.

"If there's any more contact from Chris can you let Sophie know straight away?"

"Yes, but what's he involved with?"

"I think he's caught up in something that's definitely not of his making."

"Nothing to do with the Dounreay trip?"

"No, I hope not."

"Okay, the bell is about to go so you should be moving."

"Oh heck, it's maths and my books are in the common room."

***

Tammy made it to the classroom just in time so was distracted for the next hour. Angela caught her as they left the class.

"Where were you?"

"With John in the drama store."

"Oh, I thought something had happened, nobody knew."

"The Head and Mrs Adams knew where we were."

"I see, nobody's seen Chris Jones."

"I know, he missed the bus."

They walked to the common room, Angela was certainly more comfortable in there now. She was wearing a few new bits of jewellery, birthday presents. She was also in a new skirt that Elsie had bought her, a little more confident in herself despite the weekend's events.

Tammy excused herself, claiming she needed the ladies. What she really wanted to do was check her phone but couldn't do that within sight of other students. There was a text from Sophie.

Chris Jones now a missing person. No-one is at home.

At least someone was taking his absence seriously, she thought.

Most of break had gone by the time Tammy returned to the common room. She gathered her books and started for her business studies class, a double lesson.

"Ah, Miss Smart. I do hope you won't be disappearing again?"

"No, Mr Carmichael, I was as surprised as you to be called into a meeting on Friday morning."

"Then Mr Wright came in here looking for you."

"I've been asked not to discuss that, Sir. The Headmaster made that very clear to me this morning."

"I see."

The classroom was starting to fill so the master left Tammy to return to the front of the room. John, who'd heard most of the exchange, scribbled a note and passed it over.

Wright & Carmichael shared a flat

Tammy now knew that nothing she said, concerning Friday's incidents, would be accepted by the business studies master. How many more weeks did she have to survive? It was only two months to her exams with a three week break looming fast.

Of course, the worst thing, in her teacher's book anyway, happened just after the start of the second hour. The Head came into the room.

"Hello Headmaster, this is unexpected."

"Yes, unfortunately I need Miss Smart."

"Is that necessary?"

"It is."

Tammy shrugged and put her books away before leaving without saying anything to the teacher. She waited until they reached the Head's study before she spoke.

"Sir, is this about Chris Jones?"

"Yes, why didn't you tell me this morning?"

"I ran out of time before second period and at that time we only knew he'd missed the bus. It was later that I found out he was made a missing person."

"He's not missing any more, he's in intensive care in the Raigmore Hospital in Inverness."

up
422 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

here we go again

Alecia Snowfall's picture

Tammy's up in the middle everything. She's going to need a map, compass and guide to get clear this time. can't wait for the next part shiraz!

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Lost

It as if she's a second lieutenant with a map and compass

oh dear!

poor chris jones! watch your backs our girls

I'm beginning to wonder who

I'm beginning to wonder who exactly Tammy or anyone else can trust around the town or the school?

Not him too

Now what is going on?

Gwen

Poor Kid

joannebarbarella's picture

I hope he (Chris Jones) hasn't been too badly hurt. It sounds very much as though he has been caught up in something he didn't know about and perhaps used as a pawn in the game. Tammy and friends seem to be behaving very sensibly so let's hope they don't expose themselves to danger.

poor kid

hope he'll recover

DogSig.png

Mr Carmichael

Could also be a problem. Seems like this school has a lot of homophobic types.

Catalyst

Jamie Lee's picture

Everything that has happened can be laid at the feet of Tara. She took up with the wrong person, was arrested on several charges with regards to that person, and because she knows enough, had to be relocated to keep her alive.

To try and get their hands on Tara, to silence her, they want Tammy. To get Tammy the might try and get one of the other family members.

On top of all this she has to deal with a very intolerant teacher, one who rooms with her business teacher. Oy, can the flow chart get more complicated?

And now Chris Jones was injured. Why? What does he have to do with any of this? Was he ordered to do something and refused? Hope his injuries aren't life threatening.

Others have feelings too.

If the bad guys

Had him long enough to rough him up and hospitalize him, it's a warning. Otherwise he'd be dead or never found. Maybe that's a warning to the players to clear the table, xas the on going plans will not be changed