A New Start in Life part 20

Printer-friendly version


A New Start in Life Part 20

The Girls Mk2.jpg

This is a gentle coming-of-age story about a college-aged boy becoming the girl he knows he truly is.
With the help of his two girl friends he becomes Susanna as they teach him all about life as a girl.
Please note this is a gentle, sentimental tale and although there is some sexual content it is inferred, NOT graphic and tagged where it occurs.

We showered and washed our hair. Also I removed my ‘vagina’ as wearing this for a long period requires scrupulous cleanliness.
These last few days we washed using bottled water and we had sweat a lot trying to free ourselves so it’s better to be safe than sorry.
I cleaned myself thoroughly and applied some antiseptic moisturising cream - it didn’t look like there were any problems ‘down there’ but still it wouldn’t hurt to be careful.

We washed and conditioned our hair then roughly towel dried it as with our long hair it does take some drying.
Next we dressed in cut off capris and loose fitting tops.
We put a bit of make up on to make us feel more feminine (lipstick eyeliner and a touch of mascara) slipping on our sandals we made our way to the porch.
We shyly approached the porch and were greeted by the sight of about ten others.
Apart from Becca and Elmer there were the guys that got us out of the mess plus three young guys who were introduced as Elmer and Becca’s sons.
Joel, Joe and Lee, the eldest son Clark was in the Army Engineers.

Everyone was drinking ice-cold beers so as they were offered us one we joined them.
Apparently everyone was staying for supper and Becca had it all under control!
Room was made for us and we settled down letting the conversation drift over us enjoying the friendly banter.
The guys reminisced about when they were in the Services. Charley was regaled with stories about her dad. I could see she was proud - because it seemed that no one had a bad word to say about him.
We were asked how long we wanted to stay. We glanced at each other and finally it was left to me to speak. I was feeling a bit uncomfortable as I answered, “Well we don’t want to be nuisances so a couple of days if that’s ok:”

Becca answered me telling us, “Look girls you stay as long as you want. I’d love some female company for a while it’ll make a lovely change from this lot – stay for a few weeks you’d be more than welcome.”
Our usual spokes person Kelly then took over saying, “Thanks Becca we’d love to take you up on that - but only if we can help out!”
The smile on Becca’s face said it all, “Deal” she said, “With you gal’s helping we can get out on the horses in the afternoon and show you the real New Mexico.”
It was then that three of us admitted we couldn’t ride the only person who had been on a horse before was Shoni!

In fact cancel the ‘been’ on a horse’ part and replace it with being anywhere near a horse. Shoni had ridden a horse exactly twice on a family holiday when she was about 12!

As with everything here this was no problem at all so Joe was given time off tomorrow afternoon to teach us the basics of riding along with his mom.
Then it was suppertime we all trooped into the largest kitchen I have ever seen! It was huge the footprint of this kitchen was about the size of a whole ground floor of a typical English house!
The table could easily handle the multitude that sat down to eat. We started working by helping Becca to get the food to the table – and there was loads of it.
Mind you they guys had healthy appetites and the four of us had survived on cookies and drinks for three days so we did justice to the mountains of food.

Charley had an admirer! We noticed that Joel was monopolising her. He seemed quite taken by her after we had all eaten three of us helped Becca to clear away the dirty dishes.
Yes three, because Joel offered to show Charley the ranch so we shooed her off as we could manage quite well.
The guy’s went back onto the porch (veranda) to continue to drink and (as Becca put it) ‘bullshit’!
She asked us how we knew each other so we explained that we met at university and became firm friends (it just didn’t seem right to lie to such nice welcoming people) the only thing we left out was my true sex.

We told her about meeting Al senior and him introducing us to the Warrior Brotherhood and how we met Charley then how she ended up with us.
Becca commented, “The four of you seem so comfortable together I thought you’d known each other a long while”
Shonali nodded and answered for us, “Charley’s so easy to get on with. As we say in England with Charley ‘what you see is what you get’. “
Shoni then carried on, “It must have been hard for her when she first met us. What with the three of us being so close and also to be honest we didn’t really want another person but she was – well she was just herself!
We soon got to know her and she got to know us three and now? We are a team.”

All the work done in the house we went and joined the guys who by now were pretty mellow.
Charley and Joel arrived back and joined us it wasn’t really late but the past three days had caught up with us!
Becca noticed and showed us where we would be sleeping two of us had the same room we originally were shown.
The other two had next door but the bathroom adjoined the two rooms, we thought that the second door in the bathroom was a cupboard!

Shoni and Kelly had one room while Charley and I had the other before we got changed for bed I asked Charley, “Do my mind sleeping with me? I mean with...... Well you know.”
She just looked at me and answered, “Shoot girl you can be so stupid! Of course I don’t mind to me you’re a girl same as me – lets get to bed I’m beat!”

We changed into sleep shorts and cami top then we hit the sack. I personally slept like a log when I came too in the morning it was just like being with Kell and Shoni.
Charley and I were snuggled into each other wrapped in each other’s arms.
We woke up about the same time looked at each other and smiled.
Charley commented, “Looks like we both needed company last night – morning girlfriend what time is it?”
I peered at the clock and answered, “a little after six, why?” “Well” she said I know these farming folk start early and I can hear movement shall we help?”
“Why not” I answered so we got up washed then got dressed and followed the noise into the kitchen where we found Becca and another woman.
Who we later found was hired to help Becca her name was Yolanda - she worked mornings six while midday she was a really nice ‘motherly’ looking person with the longest jet black hair I have ever seen it reached down to her bum!

When we offered to help but we were told to have a cup of coffee and relax, as the breakfast routine is what they called a well-oiled machine.
We asked if we could do our washing and were shown the laundry room.
Charley went and collected all our washing and the two of us did our washing while waiting for the other two to get their act together.
Breakfast was ready at seven, Elmer and the boys were down and wading their way through heaps of food! We joined them and had ham eggs and pancakes with coffee and orange juice.
And Grits! Now I have never had these before and for those that don’t know I’ll try and explain what they are it’s basically a rough ground corn which for breakfast at Becca’s was fried in bacon fat and served once it was golden brown – it went really well with the other stuff for breakfast.
We also found that they can be served as a sweet dish griddled with syrup Mmmmmmmmm!

The guys left and we were given jobs to do feed the chickens, collect eggs and clean the stables.
All these jobs Becca did daily. Of course the first day she had to show us what to do but after showing us she left us to it.
I stopped to watch Joe working with the horses in a big field (corral). He saw me watching and came over to talk.
He was deciding which horses we could learn to ride on.
Asking me if there was any horse I liked the look of. I scanned the herd and there was one a lovely golden horse and I pointed this one out to Joe.
He looked and told me, “Good choice she’s a quiet mare ideal for you”. I smiled at him saying, “Lucky guess I know nothing about horses but she’s got nice eyes.”
He laughed at this and pointed to another horse, “What about that one”. This horse was a lovely cream colour with very light blue eyes which looked odd to me I told him that it looked a bit flighty adding, “It’s a gorgeous colour though I love the colour.”
He gave me a shrewd look and said, “You’re a natural that’s what we call a cremello he’s mine and you’re right he is a flighty critter.” I laughed out loud at that telling him, “Not a natural I look at their eyes and if I like them or not.” As I aid this I was gazing into his lovely blue eyes. Somewhat embarrassed I quickly looked away.

I found out that these horses were called quarter horses. These were very fast over short distances. They are ideal for working cattle - apparently the Ferrari of horses (according to Joe).
As I left to go to the stables to help Kelly he called after me, “I’ll have her ready for you – Sue.”
I turned and walked back to him and asked him sweetly, “Joe, please call me Susanna or Susie because I’m not too keen on Sue.”
He looked abashed and apologised he looked so dejected that I simply couldn’t help myself I kissed him on the cheek saying, “You didn’t know!” then I carried on to help Kelly leaving him standing there looking at me.
Mind you my mind was working overtime that was the first time I had ever done anything remotely like that!
What the hell was I doing? Sure I thought Joe was really cute but to give the poor guy the slightest hint that I was interested was surely not right even though I did fancy him? My female hormones must be working overtime!

We had our work done by noon and saw the guys arriving back on their quad bikes - that blew a hole in our romantic dreams of the cowboy and his trusty horse! - Reality strikes!

After lunch now that Yolanda had gone home we helped to clear up while the guy’s left to carry on doing whatever ranchers do.
Then we changed into jeans for our riding lessons - trainers would have to do as apart from sandals and hiking boots we didn’t have anything else.
Now it was time to meet our mounts!
These quarter horses apparently by horse standards are not huge but they are big! Especially when you are not used to horses. (like us)
It’s one thing to look at one from the fence and like it’s eyes. It’s a totally different thing to stand next to it and feel all the pent up energy!
The horses were all saddled and the golden one I had picked (called a buckskin) looked really nice.
Becca showed us how to approach the horses how to interact with them and what not to do with them - then the real lessons started.

Of course a western saddle was being used Shoni had only ridden on what is called an English saddle (haven’t a clue what the difference is) and that was 8 years ago! But to me the saddle looked comfortable and secure.
We walked the horses around to us to get used to them and for them to get used to us the lessons were slow and steady.
Both Joe and Becca were quietly confident and obviously very accomplished, which instilled confidence in us.
Next was getting onto the back of the horse that to my eyes was a heck of a long way up! First Joe showed us - he must have been showing off because Becca told him, “Joe, now do it as the girls have to do it!”
Somewhat abashed (I like this guy he’s not afraid of showing his feelings) he showed us how to make sure the horse was calm then making sure you have the reigns in a tight grip (don’t let them go!)
Get a firm hold of the saddle horn one foot in the stirrup then bounce the other leg up and over the back of the horse in one easy move!

Yeh right! Simple!

No wrong though in truth Shonali got it quickly so did Charley – well she is taller and American. Though what’s that got to do with anything I haven’t a clue.
However for Kelly and yours truly it did take a while the ‘bounce’ up and over in one easy move was not that easy!
Eventually we got it and while not expert we could mount the horse.

Throughout this debacle Marcie and Mooha Kelly’s mounts and mine simply looked at us with interest and a touch of condescension.
Finally we set off as Becca put it today would be a gentle ride where we can get used to the horses and get used to controlling them.
We walked them and then Becca upped the ante and made us trot. This was strange at first but with advice coming from Joe and Becca about our balance we got used to it and it was quite exhilarating.

After an hour or so we turned back for the ranch as Becca put it, “Girls you will be sore tomorrow in places you don’t know exist - let’s head home”.
On the way home Becca asked if we felt confident enough to go a bit faster. Kelly and I looked at each other and decided let’s go for it so we were shown how to get the horse to canter – WOW!
I thought a trot was exhilarating but this was a whole new ball game my heart was going like a jackhammer.
When we arrived back at the ranch I was on a high and totally hooked on horse riding.

Once back at the ranch Becca showed us a gallop on one of these horses. The one she rode today was a magnificent black entire stallion called Thunder (Joe told us that).
Of course his mom could only ride him when the mares were not in season – for obvious reasons – like most males his mind was on other things at that particular time!
Her other horse was a Palomino gelding called Lightening because as Joe put it she was lightening fast he also commented that mom had named the horses.
The inference being that he didn’t approve of the names! I thought they were good names for the two totally different horses.

We dismounted then were shown how to look after our horses unsaddling removing the bridle etc. Then came the washing combing and brushing of the horse. We were told that the welfare of the horse comes before our welfare.
I really enjoyed looking after Mooha the washing, brushing and combing also talking to her while I worked really seemed to form a bond between horse and rider.
After all the work they had just done for us it was a small price to pay.

We got back to the house and showered then set to helping Becca prepare supper. This was always eaten in the late evening to get every hour of daylight in working.
With the four of us helping we were getting in each other’s way especially Kelly who is a total disaster in any kitchen.
Eventually I suggested that maybe there was something else she could do to help (Kelly whole heartedly agreed; because she hates cooking in general and kitchens in particular) a bit reluctantly Becca mentioned that there was some laundry to do if she felt like it.

Now to get out of the kitchen – any kitchen Kelly would wrestle alligators. She shot off to the laundry room and we didn’t see her again for an hour or more.
Becca went to see how she was doing and I heard raised voices apparently not only had Kelly done the washing she had ironed what was there Becca was scolding her for doing too much!

Next morning I personally had aches where aches shouldn’t be the inside of my thighs were burning from using the muscles while we were riding.
Charley was suffering as well it took us a good while to be able to move anything like normally.
But being young once we started moving about we soon loosened up and were ready willing and able to go riding in the afternoon. I thanked my ballet training for the fact that my muscles soon returned to normal.
And so we slipped into a very comfortable period. After the first day we became faster at doing our chores. Every day after completing them we helped Becca and Yolanda. Then made the horses ready for the afternoon ride.

I was now totally hooked as were the rest of the girls. We even went into town and bought ourselves some riding boots.
Well in truth they were fancy girly cowboy boots that we could use at home – when we arrived back there. (They could go home with the stuff we are sending back from Los Angeles)
We went to Barn Dances, Barbecue’s, parties, we saw Prairie oysters being harvested and that made what was left of my boy bits wince.
And all the time Charley was having a romance with Joel as we three watched from the side lines we wondered if she would be coming with us as it seemed to be serious.
And I had a similar very platonic romance with Joe this began after the first riding lesson after supper I went to the corral to look at the horses.
Mooha came up to me and put her muzzle in my hand it seemed like we had bonded already.
I was rubbing and talking to her when I heard a cough it was Joe standing some way back he said to me, “It looks like you’ve a friend there - would you like another?”
I looked at him and quietly answered, “Only if that friend realises that we’ll be gone soon” as he walked over to us he said, “He does and he’ll be sad when you go.”
“Ok” I said very quietly as he came up to me finishing with, “As long as he realises this” he stood next to me for a while. His horse Apache came up and we both rubbed our horses.

Then I felt his hand go around my waist it was like I had been holding my breath. I leant towards him our hips touched, turning to look up at him I thought how gorgeous he was and then he gently kissed me.
And that was it. It was a lovely gentle and mainly platonic relationship I say mainly. Because that is what it was until what turned out to be the last week of our stay.
It happened one evening. Nothing was planned it just happened! We were just finishing looking after the horses when we kissed and well we just got out of hand. Right there in the stables with the sweet scent of hay and horses it just happened.

Our lovemaking was wonderful gentle and naïve as it should be at our age. As he held me in his arms a tear trickled down my face as I realised that soon we must be leaving he saw the tear and asked what was wrong.
I told him what I was thinking and he simply said, “Susanna I knew when we started this - you needn’t leave you could stay here – with me.”
I shook my head not trusting myself to speak. So we left it at that never to talk about it again.
Next morning while we were cleaning out the stables Kelly said, “Guys, it’s been three weeks d’you think we should be moving on?” I was shocked three weeks had passed so fast.
I looked at Charley and she looked at me we both smiled ruefully as we realised that this idyll must come to an end.
Charley straightened up and simply said, “Well all good things have to come to an end how we going to tell Becca?”

Shoni smiled at the two of us and quietly asked, “And how are you two going to break the news to the guys?”
We both knew what she was saying and I shrugged and said, “I’ll find a way” then turning to Charley I continued, “Charley you know you can stay if you want to.”
She smiled somewhat sadly and told the three of us, “You guy’s aint getting rid of me that easily I’ll tell Joel.”
That afternoon we told Becca that we were getting too comfortable and must be moving on.
She smiled and answered, “Well I knew this would happen sometime I hope you’ve enjoyed your stay with us – when you hitting the road?”
We looked at each other and shrugged finally agreed on the next Monday - today was Wednesday.
Her next remark was, “Don’t you worry none about the boys they knew you’d be going. They have to learn life aint always easy.”
We told every one of our plans that night at supper. Elmer said that he would be sorry to see us go Becca also said that she had enjoyed the female company.
Joel and Joe looked downhearted but it was out in the open and they realised life had to go on.
The rest of our time passed very quickly Joel and Joe went over the Jeep for us making sure it was ready for the next few thousand miles.

I know I was with Joe almost every night - sometime we would lay there on the sweet straw lost in our own thoughts.
Every day we went out on the horses and finally I rode Mooha at a gallop what an adrenaline rush that was she was magnificent!
The last night I had already said my personal goodbye to Joe. Not being able to sleep I went to the corral to simply look at the horses only to be joined a short time later by Charley.
Mooha saw me and came over followed by Charley’s horse a Strawberry Roan called Mavie.
I had purloined some treats for them and as we rubbed their noses and breathed into their nostrils the world stood still.
Charley suddenly said, “I’m going to miss this place it’s been like a second home” I nodded not trusting myself to speak.
Finally I managed to put the words together and answered her, “Me too Charley, Becca and Elmer have been like parents to us. I wish we didn’t have to go” then I realised what I had just said and clapped my hand to my mouth.

A quiet voice made us jump, “But you have to go girls and you know it. If you want to stay here it’s fine by me but you know you have to go!”
It was Becca we both ran to her and clung onto her she soothed us telling us that we could always come back anytime we wanted.
“But now” she told us “The thing you girls must do it set off on that road in the morning.”
We knew she was talking sense and soon settled down she put an arm around each of us and we walked back to the house for some milk and cookies.
By now it was five in the morning not worth going back to bed so we helped Becca prepare breakfast much to the surprise of Yolanda.
We went and showered and were ready well before the men arrived both of us dressed for the road in comfortable clothing nothing sexy to remind Joel and Joe – stupid I know.
We finished packing our backpacks then woke the other two and went back into the kitchen.
The guys arrived and tried to be their normal happy selves as did we but it was really a sad meal.
We ate for the day, as we didn’t know where we’d end up. When Kelly said this Elmer wryly commented, “As long as it aint on a cattle guard you’ll be fine girls” we had to grin at that.

Then it was time for us to go we said fond tearful goodbyes to Elmer and Becca we just couldn’t thank them enough for their hospitality.
Then we said goodbye to Joel and Joe it was somewhat stilted until Elmer gruffly said, “For god’s sake kiss them you big lug’s”.

They carried out packs to the jeep and another round of goodbyes this time it included our horses as I rubbed Mooha’s nose and breathed into her nostrils for the last time.
I really felt a wrench as I turned and walked away I like to think she felt it too as she whinnied as I walked away something she had never done before.
That really got to me.
Charley and I got in the back seat Kelly was driving Elmer came to Kelly and said, “The word is out you girls are back on the road - travel well.”
He turned and with the boys got on their quad bikes and roared off Becca and Yolanda waved us off.

With that we headed down the road leading from the ranch back onto what some people call ‘The Mother Road’.

up
111 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Enjoyed the chapter!

I used to ride horses when I was a slip of girl too. (Far younger than Susanna) For some reason I can't explain, a teenaged girl and a horse are synonymous with one another. Your story was spot on there.

The number of hours I spent simply sitting in a stable alone with a horse on a weekend, is something that today is just too difficult to explain or understand.

The first thing I use to do after mucking out her stable, was to start curry combing her, before plaiting her tail, then her mane. Yeah, goofy I know, but that's what teenage girls and horses used to do. Never saw a guy plait his horse's tail though.

The problem with girls and horses arises when the young girls meet slightly older young guys, then the weekend mornings horse riding become less important until it becomes several months between going out for a morning ride on a weekend.

Your chapter brought back fond memories.

But isn't Susanna forgetting about Gil? At least Joe and Susanna got a bit of snogging in before she had to leave him. But what about her mare. Who's going to be there to give her little treats now that Susie's driven off?

sniffle!

Pass the tissues, this had me really upset and think I could get to like horses! looking forward to more, thank you

A nice "interlude" to their

A nice "interlude" to their road trip.
Found it interesting that the Palomino was a gelding ( male with its male parts removed). That breed of horse can be very dangerous, especially the stallions, and gelding does help to calm them down alot. The differences between the "Western" and "English" saddles are the styling. The English saddle is a much smaller one (considered by Western saddle uses as a "postage stamp"; and is the one you see on horses involved in Dressage, Steeplechase, Show Jumping, and that sort of stuff.
The Western is a large saddle and is considered a work saddle. It has a higher seat front and back, heavier sections on each side down to the stirrups, a saddle "horn" (pommel" that is on the front of the saddle. That is used to tie off a rope when "cutting out" cattle or calves or other horses from the herd.
A rope around their neck or legs, tied to a saddle horn, the horse stops and pulls back on the rope and the calf, cow, steer or what ever is going down and can not run even if it wants to.
Quarter horses are as mentioned not an extremely large horse, however they are fast in the 1/4 mile and very strong for their size. If you want to see a 1/4 horse in action, check out the movie "Hildago". !/4 horses are descended from the Spanish horses brought to the New World by the Spanish explorers and some escaped, captured by the Native Americans and What you see today is what you get.
The Western saddle is actually derived from a Spanish saddle brought over with the Spanish coming into the New World and over the centuries became adapted into todays Western.
Regarding the riding of the saddle, you sit IN it, rather than on top as you do on the English one. Designed for long distances verses speed. Think a Rolls Royce or Cadillac compared a Jaguar or Corvette
It has been mentioned the affinity of teenage girls and horses; physically speaking, this has been alluded to by doctors as due to where the female clitoris is located and what experiences the girl/woman can feel from the movement of the horse. Doctors have also said that physically, males should have been using sidesaddles due to their genitalia and females the regular type saddles. So now you know probably more than you wanted to regarding saddles. :( Janice Lynn

Very True

Christina H's picture

I have been on horses both side of the fence so to speak and it's definitely more enjoyable now than it used to be - if you get my drift.

Christina

An unexpected affinity for horses

Rhona McCloud's picture

It seems several readers and the author have enjoyed riding. My last time was in Port Vila, Vanuatu (recently severely damaged by cyclone Pam) where I remembered too late that bare legs get pinched by the stirrup straps on an English saddle. Old fashioned jodhpurs were a uni-sex style equally unattractive on both sexes even though the calf protector were very practical http://www.wallflowerdispatches.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/... on the other hand I wouldn't mind a pair of the modern version http://equiworldlimited.co.uk/tackshop/images/FITSBreechesDu...

Rhona McCloud

You Know me Too Well!!

Christina H's picture

I too like the modern version those calf protectors would look good Hmmmmmm.

Christina