Tamara's Trials - Chapter 51 "Lady MacDuff?"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Trials - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part Fifty One

 

"Lady MacDuff?"

 

Monday 16th March (Continued)

"Intensive care, Sir? What happened?"

"That is unclear Miss Smart, the local police called us a few minutes ago. Now, what can you tell me?"

"I'm sorry Headmaster but I may not be able to say much."

"I understand, but I need to know some background NOW before the press descend on us."

"Uh, right. Chris Jones' mother is a second generation Russian, as is his aunt, and his uncle is part of a known criminal family from the Scilly Isles, despite being a serving Police Officer."

"Miss Smart, that doesn't make him a bad student?"

"I know Sir, and I completely agree with you. I think Jones is a complete innocent who probably didn't know much about his family's circumstances before this weekend. I suspect his loyalty to this school outweighed any other issues."

"Why would he ask after you?"

"It could have been because my name had been mentioned, in different circles, Sir."

"So what do you suggest I can tell the press?"

"I don't know. I need Sophie's advice, and my father's for that matter."

"I want both of them here in half an hour so we can prepare a statement, young lady. You have the school's resources available but get to it!"

"Yes, Sir, certainly, Sir."

Tammy left the Headmaster's study in a hurry and went straight into the school secretary's office.

"He nabbed you, Tammy?"

"Yes, the fan's spinning and something brown is heading for it."

"I get the picture! What can I do to help?"

"Can you ask my father to get over here, then ask Mrs Small to come down? I'll call DS Grieve."

Janet Adams phoned Dunbankin and reached Richard Smart whilst Tammy went outside the main entrance, where she hopefully wouldn't be seen or heard.

"Hello Tammy, it's not a good line."

"Sorry Sophie but I've stepped outside. What can you tell me?"

"Chris Jones is stable but very badly beaten, including severe head and abdominal injuries. He lost alot of blood and was lucky to be found in time. What happened is not clear but he was found at Thomas Young's house when officers went there. Thomas Young has been arrested and is being interviewed."

"That's his uncle, he works at the Vulcan research place."

"Not anymore it seems."

"I see. So why would he have gone to his uncle Thomas' house?"

"We need to speak to him, but that's looking unlikely today, we also need to speak to his aunt again - when we locate her."

"The school wants to prepare a press statement, as we're bound to be asked."

"Keep it minimal and refer to Police Scotland for any details."

"Sure."

"I'll be with you in a few hours."

"Not sooner?"

"No, I'm in Inverness at the hospital."

"Okay, thanks Sophie."

"Bye."

Tammy walked back inside, Joan was approaching the Head's study.

"What's going on?"

"We'd best go in, the Head's waiting."

Tammy explained to the Head what Sophie had said.

"My guess, Headmaster, is that Chris Jones overheard something, rang here and was attacked after his call to Mrs Adams."

"That's reasonable but it is, as you say Miss Smart, a guess."

"Therefore, Sir, I presume we can't suggest this to anyone."

"Correct, we simply don't know very much right now."

The three put a short press statement together then asked Janet Adams to type it up onto headed paper, ready to be faxed or emailed. In the middle of this Richard arrived and read the brief document.

"It's adequate."

"Richard, Harry is away so I'd like you to handle the press. Your daughter can fill you in on some of the background. I'll inform the boarders at dinner this evening."

"Okay."

Tammy, Richard and Joan relocated to the latter's room, after letting the school secretary know where to route any press enquiries. The calls didn't take long to start.

"I'm sorry but that's all we have at present. We're naturally very upset if something happens to one of our students. You'll have to contact the police for any further information."

He repeated this phrase to the BBC, Scottish TV, several newspapers and a few commercial radio stations. The lunch bell had come and gone so Tammy organised three plates to be delivered.

"Tammy, this is out of hand."

"I know, Mum, Dad, but I still don't know how this is all connected?"

"That's something for the appropriate authorities to establish. You have to concentrate on your schooling. What did you have this afternoon?"

"The bell's about to go for last period, that's a study period for me today."

"So there's nothing stopping you from going home?" Joan seemed to want Tammy off the premises, or at least out of her office.

"Yes, but I wouldn't get permission to leave early normally."

"This isn't a normal day."

"Sophie's got my car."

"Which you can't drive on your own yet."

"I need another driving instructor, too."

"We'll see."

Tammy's plan to be self sufficient transport-wise was starting to fall apart.

"Come on Tammy, I'll take you. Get yourself organised and meet me at the main entrance in five minutes."

"Okay, Dad."

***

Sophie arrived back at the house sometime after seven having insisted on armed officers protecting Chris Jones.

"What on earth is going on, Sophie?"

"We're still not sure, Tammy, but evidence now points to a wider conspiracy."

"Like what?"

"I've not been briefed, my role is to gather intelligence and ensure that you don't do anything stupid."

"Thanks, not!"

"Look, there's limited chance of me giving you training whilst this investigation continues."

"Okay, will someone be able to speak to Chris tomorrow?"

"If, and only if, the doctors are satisfied he can manage it. He had severe concussion after being beaten with a blunt instrument, that's apart from his other injuries - he was lucky to have been found when he was."

"How long will he be in hospital?"

"Unknown, but don't expect him back at school soon."

"Sure, I just wish there was something I could do?"

"Keep your eyes open and your mouth closed! Oh, I have something for you."

Sophie had a dig in her bag, Tammy glanced a glint off something metallic before she was handed a small packet.

"It's a bluetooth earpiece for your phone, more secure than the standard ones."

Tuesday 17th March

Sophie once again asked for the use of Tammy's car, promising to put fuel in it, but wanted to be in Inverness by nine. She therefore dropped Tammy off shortly after seven with plenty of time even before breakfast. One piece of news was received before Sophie departed, Chris Jones had regained conciousness.

Tammy located the Head after breakfast and gave him an update.

"Plainly Sir, it is unlikely we'll have Mr Jones back here before the Easter break."

"I'd have to agree with that assessment."

"Unfortunately he was Lady Macduff in our play, I'd like to suggest a work around."

"Can't one of the other boys take the part?"

"That would be a struggle Sir, but I know someone who could do it."

"Who?"

"Miss Tanya Smith, she's also a dab hand at make-up." Not up to Joanne's standard but getting there!

"I see, does she know the part?"

"She's familiar with it from the production we're putting on in town. I'm certain she could learn the part adequately in the time available, but we'd need her released from her school for the day."

"That would have to be entirely down to them, no promises Miss Smart."

"I understand, Sir. There's just one other issue concerning the English class I'd like to raise."

***

Breakfast was quieter than normal but the Head was able to pass on Tammy's news about Chris Jones, which improved the atmosphere. John Hibbert finally managed a quiet word with Tammy in the sixth form common room.

"Where did you go yesterday?"

"Sorry John, it got manic when we found out about Chris."

"There were rumours flying around until the Head told us at dinner last night, then the rumours became even wilder."

"I helped put a press release together and went home an hour early."

"Lucky you."

"Yeah. Did you speak to Tanya?"

"I did, she tried to get hold of you too but couldn't raise you."

"Oh, I think my phone was left in my bag in silent mode, I can't check it now. What did she say?"

"She fancies a day out of school if we can arrange it."

"Good, the Head's hopefully making the request today but I'm not sure if she'll still like the idea?"

"Why?"

"I'd like her to play Lady Macduff's part, in place of Chris."

"She doesn't know the part."

"We've done read-throughs enough times that she should be able to learn the part quickly. It isn't a major part either."

"This is your gig, you ask!"

"Thanks John!"

"Seriously, who could have done this to Chris?"

Tammy was about to give an answer but the warning bell for first period sounded, so she simply shrugged and went to pick up her Macbeth script for double English. At John's suggestion this would be an extra rehearsal for the play. The previous evening she had emailed the Head a list of the items she needed to buy and was given authority. This was forwarded to Sarah with a plea to help, now she had to inform the group.

"Costumes?"

"Yes everyone, the Head has given John and myself instructions to make this look good, as well as sounding good."

"Tammy, what about Chris?" Several of the boys nodded at Froggett's question.

"Did one of you want to play his part? I need to know now so we can get the correct sized dress."

Not one of the boys outwardly fancied wearing a dress, although what inner turmoil there may have been wasn't disclosed.

"So, we have to bring someone else in. Subject to her agreement, that will be John's fiancée, who was present last Friday afternoon."

A few had made the connection with some envious of John and the rest still wary of most females.

"Now, for the witches we have black robes and I have the agreement of the Head for black tights, which will be worn with black plimsolls unless you want heels?"

The three witches shook their heads.

"Hopefully you still have your plimsolls from Year 11 PE? As the tights will be thinner than socks I wouldn't imagine you'll have trouble getting into them? Otherwise you might need to go into town on Saturday."

There was some muttering but no dissent, although Tammy hadn't mentioned make-up and decided this might be best left until the day of the play.

"Just to let you know, I have to be in court next Monday and the case may run into Tuesday, so I'd suggest we try to find a rehearsal time on Wednesday, a full dress rehearsal. If we can have some of the costumes ready by Friday then we'll check them for sizing."

Tammy still had no idea about her own frock.

"Can we do a run through? I'll fill in for Chris at the appropriate time."

***

At morning break, after a tough rehearsal, Tammy retired to the ladies loo and checked her phone but there were no new messages, just a clutter of failed contact attempts by Tanya. Tammy sent a quick apology and promised to call later. A reply was near instant.

I just got hauled out of the common room to see the head of sixth form
 
Sorry Tanya, I wanted to warn you first
 
Look, it's a day out of school with my boy!
 
So you'll do it?
 
Yes, but you'll owe me! What about costume?
 
We'll talk to Sarah & Sandy. Gotta go, cul
 
ok cul

The battery wouldn't survive the whole day, she realised. That meant a visit Joan's office.

"What is it, Tammy?"

"Can you plug my phone in until lunchtime?"

"Does the Head know you have it?"

"Yes."

"Okay, see me as soon as the bell goes as I hate cold food, unless it's salad!"

Tammy's next stop was back to the Ladies as a wee was definitely needed, followed by a dash to Business Studies. Mr Carmichael plainly wanted to say something but an in-house teacher assessment was happening, Mr Thompson Deputy Head was observing this lesson.

Over the course of the next two hours the revision lesson retraced work they'd done and reminded everyone of the deadline for project work that was fast approaching. He did, however, keep returning to Tammy either by asking her more questions than any other student or just by looking at her.

As they filed out of the room Mr Thompson was seen walking over the Business Studies master. Tammy quickly collected her phone, making sure it was in her bag before she left Joan's office. A message was showing but she had no time to read it now.

Lunch was restrained, the Head plainly had no new information about Chris Jones and there were still plenty of rumours. Tammy suggested she and John talk a walk to The Close after lunch.

"I want to check my phone and, if necessary ring Sophie."

"What do you think is going on?"

"I have no idea, but at least an armed team hasn't arrived here to protect me."

"Is that likely?"

"It's not impossible, I know Sophie's armed and she was sent to look out for me."

They walked outside and thankfully found The Close empty. Tammy took out her phone and the earpiece, before working out how to pair them up. Finally she read the message.

Chris Jones is talking but a full debrief is required. As soon as poss we will move him to a private hospital as easier to protect. He's 18 so able to make his own decisions, does not want anything to do with his family. Asked about you, asked very personal questions. Head injury healing but decision needed on other injuries. Don't call me yet. Sophie

Apart from giving her Headmaster a very limited update, there was little Tammy could do on Tuesday afternoon.

What hadn't helped was that Sophie hadn't returned to Dunbankin by that evening so Tammy was still without her car or a proper face-to-face chat.

up
405 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you Shiraz,

So young Chris is asking personal questions re Tammy,very interesting.The mystery deepens by the hour!!

ALISON

snowballing

Alecia Snowfall's picture

you know in the cartoons when somebody makes a snowball and rolls it down the hill getting bigger and bigger. I imagine that's how our girl Tammy feels right about now. Take us to the end shiraz, we're with you.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

I'm Guessing

joannebarbarella's picture

Chris must have overheard details about an attempt to abduct Tammy and got caught either eavesdropping or in a protest against the plan so the plotters tried to silence him.

MacBeth has nothing on this story.

Dorothy's and Joanne's Comments...

…would seem to be the two leading theories. Chris could have overheard part of the message to his parents about the attack on the Smarts' home, and wondered afterward whether his classmate was all right. Or he could have had feelings for her. His aunt and uncle might have considered him a loose end even if he hadn't planned to confront them; they most likely would have thought so if he did. The question, I suppose, is whether the attack was intended to teach him a lesson, or to kill him, or simply to keep him out of school while something transpires there that we haven't discovered yet.

I'm a little concerned that Dave Brown and his associate might have met with Chris at the school on Friday and initiated the whole thing by telling him some of what was going on. If so, the events here might have been the result. (Tough to see them not trying to protect him, though, if that was the case.)

Eric

I'm still believing that

I'm still believing that Tammy, et al will find their Russians mobsters being tied to the other Russians who are after Cathy and family. What better way to fund a criminal enterprise than taking over a bank? Should get really, really interesting as more investigation is being done by Heather, Sophie and now even Tammy and her father. Janice Lynn

Knowing Tammy

Jamie Lee's picture

What did Chris do, threaten to do, heard, or believed he heard, that made it imperative he be hospitalized? Or, is he like Tammy and his family found out? Whatever the reason no one will have a go at him with the armed police protecting him.

And of course someone knew Tammy well enough to know she'd have a desire to do something. What Sophie told her was the best thing she could do, keep her eyes and ears open and her mouth shut. This has needed said for a long time.

Compared to the Macbeth production Tammy has in mind for the school, Wright was very lazy in the production he put on. Certain productions lend themselves well to little or no costume, but not Shakespeare. Costumes help to not only set the tone but help the audience understand the era portrayed. Will Tanya work out? Will she be able to learn the part in time? Can they keep her and John from engaging in tongue hockey long enough to put on the play?

Others have feelings too.