Tamara's Trials - Chapter 52 "Unexpected"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Trials - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part Fifty Two

 

"Unexpected"

 

Wednesday 18th March

Wednesday morning saw her in class with more in-house teacher observations during her scheduled lessons. The rehearsal during English went well with everyone more relaxed and many fewer references to the script were needed.

"Hopefully I'll have the extra items in time for Friday's rehearsal."

The three witches were now happy that they weren't going to be laughed off stage, Tammy had been encouraging them to work on their voices, pitching them higher, cackling and not coughing.

"Mr Wright wouldn't have made us do this!"

"Perhaps not, but I guarantee you'd be marked higher because of this."

"Marked?" Several of the boys caught the comment.

"Yes, because none of the other English teachers can teach or mark the English A Level syllabus, some of the final coursework will have to be abandoned. The Headmaster has negotiated that an invigilator from the examination body will be in the hall to see the performance."

The room went silent, then they all started talking at once. John took over.

"Quiet! Tammy realised yesterday morning that we'd be missing up to ten percent of the overall marks available if nothing was done. This way the play can fill that gap. For some of you that's the difference between an A and A* grade. Do it well, all of us, and we all benefit."

That changed the mood and the group session restarted with extra vigour. The end of the session, came sooner than they expected, when the lunch bell sounded. Tammy checked her phone in the Ladies before joining everyone else in the refectory.

Official statement: Chris Jones deceased. HT already told. Sophie

"What's up Tammy?" The look on her face when she entered the refectory was enough to raise concern.

"The Head will explain."

Indeed the Head did, stating that the school would hold a short memorial service for the boarders that evening, asking that everyone dip their heads for personal prayers.

"Clearly, if any of you want to talk to someone, please see Mrs Small or your form tutor."

The Head caught Tammy as lunch concluded.

"Miss Smart, do you know any more than I've been told?"

"Not as yet, Sir. He was due to have been moved to a private hospital today or tomorrow."

"So I was told. Can you include a tribute during your play?"

"Of course Sir, it's the least we could do."

Joan had seen Dr McIntosh approach Tammy so intercepted her adopted daughter before Tammy could escape.

"Do you know any more?"

"No. I was told separately but had the same information as the Head, it would seem." Tammy had kept a neutral face until this moment but now fled to the loo in tears. Joan went to follow but spotted a sixth former outside her office, the first of many?

Tammy didn't know how to handle this, Chris' death had been so unexpected. Once she felt she was presentable, again, she walked to the common room and flopped in a chair. It seemed that most of her fellow sixth formers were in shock at the news. One or two even admitted to arranging flowers for Chris.

Nothing happened for the sixth form that afternoon, all lessons were cancelled. Many just sat in the common room, talking and remembering. Tammy was considering asking to remain for dinner and the memorial service when she was called down to the Secretary's office.

"Your father called, he's collected your car and is on his way to take you home."

"I see, did he say anything more?"

"Only that I was to tell you in person, a little unusual."

"That's probably something he did when he was working, don't trust third parties to pass on messages plus it looks like I'm leaving early for the second time this week."

"Don't tell everyone!"

"I won't, I'll go collect my stuff."

***

As Tammy slid into the passenger seat she noticed a slip that was sat on the dashboard, it was a parking permit for Wick Airport.

"Have you been there?"

"That's where your car was left, Sophie had hired one of our helicopters for a ride South. It looks like your training sessions are on hold again."

"Guess so. Sad news, isn't it."

"Yes." That seemed to be all that her father was prepared to say on the subject.

They arrived home without delay. Tammy decided to grab a shower as she hoped it would relax her, that might have worked until she checked her phone.

Call me. Heather

Tammy's father appeared to have disappeared, and none of the staff were around. Tammy poured a cold glass of water and walked into the study. A minute later she was waiting for the phone to be answered.

"Hi Tammy."

"Hi Heather, where's Sophie gone?"

"She had urgent business and one of your helicopters was convenient, did you get your car back?"

"Yes."

"Give Sophie a few days, I'm sure she'll call. I guess you need a new driving instructor?"

"Yes, this stuff is hitting me personally from all sides."

"Sometimes it just works that way. Ride with it and don't react any differently than you would have done otherwise."

"I guess so. Now, what are you after?"

"Good, question everything! What I'd like to offer is those driving lessons."

"That would be useful, but how can you do that?"

"Are you free at Easter?"

"Yes, although I'd like to help Sarah."

"In the clothes shop? I understand but can you travel down next Friday, or even the night before?"

"Where to?"

"Redruth, a friend in Devon & Cornwall Police has arranged for lessons with one of their instructors. You just need to get the theory test done before you come down."

"Oh heck, I'm running out of time and it's a hell of a long way to travel."

"You'll find it worthwhile, the driving tuition will be quite advanced. It also takes you away from all those questions that are bound to be asked for a week or two."

"True."

"Have a think about it, but let me know quickly."

"Sure."

"Bye."

Tammy locked the safe then exited the room, Joan and Angela had just arrived home.

"I wondered where you'd gone, only Janet Adams knew the answer."

"Dad had my car so collected me, I don't know where he is though."

"He's at the school again dealing with more press enquiries, but we still have more questions than answers."

"Sure. I've just been offered a couple of weeks away during Easter."

"Where?"

"Cornwall."

"What about your driving lessons?"

"To be arranged with the police down there, apparently."

"In which case, young lady, what about revision?"

"I'll take my notes with me. When were you going to London?"

"Next Friday."

"Heather suggests it'll stop awkward questions being asked if I'm absent for a little while. If you're going to London then we'll just say I'm going with you, that simple if we leave at the same time."

"I'll discuss it with your father, as should you. Don't forget you have an appointment in Glasgow in early April."

It was decided Tammy should cook; there was a rota for kitchen duty for mealtimes when there were no staff available and today it was her turn. As it was, she didn't really want to cook but actually found it relaxing preparing the ingredients for Spanish omelettes with wedges and a mayo dip.

Later, Angela came into Tammy's room as she was turning off her laptop.

"Is it true?"

"Is what true, Angela?"

"That Chris is gone?"

"That's what we've been told, don't you believe it?"

"So much has happened, not all of it makes sense."

"I know, but he was hurt bad and sometimes they don't make it, even when it looks like they're recovering. That's just life."

"That sounds harsh."

"Sorry, but it hurts me too. Can I have a hug?"

Thursday 19th March

The mood at St Andrews was again subdued, although several journalists made personal visits to the school before being told abruptly to leave the private estate otherwise the Police would called. A revised press statement was hurriedly prepared asking that the students be left alone to continue their education, and that the school could not say any more at that time.

Tammy had some free time early in the day and was prepared to finish off an assignment when John Hibbert found her.

"Mrs Adams wants you, she said to get your bag."

Tammy did as requested and met Janet Adams a few minutes later.

"Come on, we're going into town."

"What for?"

"We're short of time, come on!"

The reason for the trip had been a phone call from Sarah, who hadn't been able to raise Tammy directly.

"You got out of school? Oh good, your order arrived."

"Thanks Sarah, you did have Tanya's measurements already, didn't you?"

"Of course I did, unless she's gained or lost any weight in the past few weeks?"

"I don't think so."

"Then it'll be fine, she's seeing me tomorrow. Your frock is in the changing room, clothing from this period could have used a bodice, but we have a modern corset for you."

"Why?"

"Because you won't get in the dress otherwise! Get in there, strip down to your knickers and I'll come in to lace you up."

Tammy had now dispensed with her enhancers unless there was a need to flaunt, not something that happened very often in an ancient boys' school in the Highlands. Stood only in knickers made her feel very exposed, unsurprisingly.

"My, you have grown well."

"Thank you, now please close that curtain behind you. Where is this torture device?"

That question was answered by the ivory coloured article being wrapped around, then the lacing started.

"Tooooooo muuuch."

"Nonsense, let's get you down to twenty four inches, then we'll try the dress. Ideally twenty two, though."

Tammy wanted to run but she was barely dressed and hadn't expected to be examined intimately this day so had put on some of her more decorative undies.

"Done. Try to breath normally."

"That.....'s easy fo...r you to say."

"Good, now for the frock."

The dress itself was gold thread and even Tammy agreed the look was good.

"Where did you get it?"

"None of the local theatres had anything approaching your size so I called Penelope Lane then she spoke to the Liverpool Playhouse. The frocks took almost two days to get here. Don't you dare damage it, it's insured for two thousand pounds."

"I'll be careful."

"I told Penny you would be, she signed the waiver for us. There's a headpiece as well. Do you have some gold shoes?"

"Yes, ballets."

"You'll need white tights as well so I ordered a pair for both you and Tanya. I have some of the other bits for the boys as well."

"Can I get out of it now?"

"I want some photos to send to Penny first."

That meant Tammy stepping out into the shop itself whilst potential customers looked through the window at the extraordinary sight. Several took phones out of bags or pockets so they could take snaps of the corseted girl. Several came in to get a better view.

"Is this a new line?"

"Oh no, this is a special order for Miss Smart."

Tammy was uncertain, being the centre of attention right now was not high on her list.

"Can I get changed, please, I need to get back to school."

Janet didn't help. "You're fine until eleven, or even a little longer."

"Tammy, I told Janet you might need to acclimatise yourself to the corset, especially if we needed to lace it tighter for the play."

The audience was enthralled by the conversation but Tammy had another priority. "I need the loo."

"Can't you wait?"

"No!"

Sarah reluctantly helped Tammy out of the heavy dress then had her step into her skirt.

"Aren't you going to take the corset off?"

"No, there's no need, just put your top over it then you're decent."

The top in question was a white chemise. Tammy had worn a strappy vest over her bra that morning but neither were much use at the moment.

When Tammy looked in the mirror, after using the loo, she saw the next problem.

"I can't go back to school like this!"

"You look adorable!"

"I'll be every school boy's wet dream for the next week!"

Janet was laughing. "I have to agree with Tammy, we'll have to find another top that's less revealing. You know the stock here Tammy, there must be something that's suitable."

Tammy ended up buying several new tops but had the other items rang up separately, Janet told Sarah she was going to pay but Tammy wouldn't accept it.

"Don't spend your own money, I'll get this repaid by the Head."

"Tammy, guess who really pays for the school's ad-hoc shopping? I have the school's bank card with me so it comes straight from the account."

That was settled but Tammy still had to explain to customers what the dress was for.

"It's for a school production of Macbeth."

"Can we get tickets?"

"Sorry, it's a one-off private performance, but I'll also be at The Mill on the first weekend of May."

That seemed to satisfy them. Tammy went to take the dress.

"No, no, leave it here. I'll come up to the school next Thursday lunchtime to get you into it."

"Is that arranged?" Janet nodded. "Well, what about the corset?"

"Wear it for the rest of the day, and for the next few days if you can persuade someone to put you into it."

"How do I wash it?"

"Just wet wipes then talc it once it's dry."

"I'll try, make sure Tanya goes through the same?"

"Of course, by the way you'll get the same dress for May."

"Tanya won't be Lady Macduff in May."

"I forgot, never mind we'll sort something out, I think Janet's waiting for you."

Tammy and Janet walked to the car, putting the bags inside. Tammy expected to get in.

"No, no, I have some things to do as well but let's have a coffee first."

***

Tammy barely made it back to the school before lunchtime, fearing that several masters would be ready to put her in detention. Whatever had been given for her absence, however, there seemed not to be a problem. She dropped her coat in the common room and met John Hibbert on the way out.

"You look different, Tammy."

"Yes?"

"Just different."

"You'd need to do alot better if Tanya was sat here, plus look at my eyes not my bust."

"Oh, sorry."

"Look I would tell you but I don't want it around the school."

"Well, what?"

"I was wearing a white top this morning, it's now cream."

"I thought it was something like that."

"Then why didn't you say?"

"Because......"

"Time's up. Remember, we need to get those items out of the drama store. We can use Mr Wright's room until next Thursday."

"What about your costume?"

"That will be here next Thursday. Oh, I might not be at your engagement party."

"Why?"

"I'm going to London next Friday, the party was on Saturday?"

"We moved it, didn't I tell you?"

"Obviously not."

"It's the last Saturday of the Easter Break, my folks will bring me back up a day or two early."

"Oh, I'll be back for that. I'll need an invite, where is it going to be?"

"Dad knows Mrs McIntosh so we'll have a marquee on the lawn behind the house."

"Great, it's walking distance!"

"In heels, Tammy?"

They'd arrived in the refectory so food took over as a topic, although talk of Chris was still audible.

Tammy spent the rest of the day finishing her Business Studies projects, which were due in on Friday. Many classes were now being cancelled for the upper sixth form students as emphasis on exam preparation took over.

up
426 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So, the official story is that Chris is deceased......

D. Eden's picture

Why do I get the feeling this is simply a cover to get him into something resembling WitSec? I wouldn't begin to know, but I'm assuming that the British Security Services would have the means to fake the death of a person, and then move them to a different area while creating a new identity for them - precisely as the US government does through the Marshall's office.

It wouldn't surprise me if Tammy runs into him (her?) again during her trip over the Easter break.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Gee!

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

I had a similar thought.

If it is "She" that might be helpful for the identity change. Then again if they aware of Tammy the idea of a gender switch might cross the minds of the baddies.

>i< ..::

Chris's death?

Well now, why would anyone want to kill Chris Jones? Maybe the school will have it's first female boarder girl. It would be the perfect cover for witness relocation. I'm talking the full works here - hormones, breast implants, tracheal shave, immediate SRS, human hair transplant, facial reconstruction, the works. He cannot stay as Chris Jones any more.
No one, especially the bad guys would think that the police would place a threatened boy, having become a real girl, placed in the same boarding school she went to as a boy.

blood pressure up!

Who cares about the story!!!! corsets, more corsets, more cosets, tight lacing, agggggggggh!

Thanks

shiraz's picture

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments for this chapter, and the previous ones for that matter. I won't give the plot away but the next two chapters are written, just needing final editing, so the story lines were set in stone before this chapter was published. If you're all good, you might get Chapter 53 tomorrow?
shiraz_sig.png

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

So many strange things going

So many strange things going on around Tammy and the school, I'm wondering if parents are going to allow their children to continue going there? With new girls appearing on scene now at this newly minted 'co-educational' font of wisdom; it does seem very plausible that Chris Jones, if he is alive would wind up back there in a feminine mode of dress and lifestyle. New looks, new body, new name and so forth. Could just be a transfer in student from another school perhaps a girl's school. Inquiring minds want to know. Janice Lynn

Double Shuffle By Shiraz?

joannebarbarella's picture

Speculation re Chris Jones. In the previous episode he was conscious and talking. Sophie's sudden absence in the middle of all this is very suggestive of subterfuge.

Yes, But...

…whether or not his new identity turns out to be female, I can't imagine Chris returning to school there; I doubt they'd even bring him/her back to Thurso to live. The idea is to keep witnesses safe from recognition, and that's a lot more likely if s/he doesn't have to deal with the same people as before. Even if Chris were totally unrecognizable, it'd be easy to slip up by knowing something about the town or school (or the people there) that the new persona shouldn't.

Eric

I was thinking witness protection

when the news was released. I doubt they would push a transition in fast mode though.

What better way?

Jamie Lee's picture

The people, or person, who beat Chris intended to kill him, the injuries indicated this. They left him thinking he was dead or would soon be. So even if he made it to hospital the injuries would have been to severe for him to survive. Hence the official statement.

But, that announcement would be expected by his attacker(s), they'd write him off as another problem solved. And this is what Dave Brown's group wants, people to believe Chris died because of the injuries. Everyone, inquisitive Tammy included.

So, Chris is reported dead, Chris the boy. Chris the person must now be kept safe, hidden but not hidden. Chris the person must change, changed in a way so as not to be recognized by the attacker(s) should they see him. And because they knew Chris as the boy they killed, that boy can no longer exist. So changing his gender and face is the only way to keep him safe. As long as no one learns the truth.

Tammy getting a fitting with the costume for the school play presentation was an introduction into another aspect of being a woman. The inability to breath properly when wearing certain pieces of undergarments. She hasn't said, but how she sits has changes as well. Wonder how Tanya will react when she ensconced as well? Or if John can behave himself when he she her in costume? If those two aren't careful, and if Tanya forgets a single morning, they'll start a family sooner than they want.

Others have feelings too.

I just keep thinking back

To that one line of the phone conversation about the "official report" of the poor kids death. Maybe he's in hiding as witness protection, or even just to keep him alive in a new identity, maybe as a girl, not even involved, just gone.