Tamara's Trials - Chapter 53 "Tammy's projects"

Printer-friendly version
Tamara's Trials - A Tommy & Tamara Story  

Part Fifty Three

 

"Tammy's projects"

 

Friday 20th March

The Headmaster of St Andrews had called a special assembly to celebrate Chris Jones' life at the end of an eventful week and the BBC were allowed to record the assembly for inclusion in that day's regional news programme. Of more importance, however, was the solar eclipse that morning. The assembly was delayed until after the eclipse concluded, creating disruption that would last until morning break.

What surprised Tammy was that she had been asked to speak about Chris during the assembly by Mr Thompson.

"Sir, I don't think that would be sensible."

"Why not?"

"If you're not aware, his family was trying to kill mine. That investigation continues, even if it's not in today's papers. Could you ask Mr Hibbert do it instead?"

"I wasn't aware."

"With the cameras here, things could become rather awkward for me and several old boys if the press make the connection."

"I think I understand."

The Deputy Head walked off to find John Hibbert, who by now was outside with most of the school, looking for the disappearing sun behind the clouds. In the end, the cloud cover prevented any view of the solar event so many drifted back into school well before the end time, with a few spots of rain clearing everyone else.

By now the Beeb, in the form of one cameraman, had set up to the side of the stage and was waiting for the assembly to start. One journalist from a local newspaper had also been allowed to attend, but not to interview any of the students.

Given the presence of the press, the Head and senior masters were fully gowned and were determined to show the school in good light. The assembly started with the school song, 'Abide With Me'.

The Head led the tributes, calling on masters who had known Chris, plus John Hibbert representing the students. They finished with 'Flower of Scotland' and 'Jerusalem', as Chris was technically English.

An extended morning break was called, which greatly pleased the majority of the students but Tammy now went in search of her Business Studies master.

"I have my projects ready for you, Sir."

Tammy had a thumbdrive in her hand.

"Could I have it printed?"

"I'm sorry Sir, but the projects run to five hundred pages between them."

"Five hundred?"

"Yes, Sir."

"Well, I'm afraid you'll have to arrange printing and binding. I need it by three o'clock this afternoon."

He turned and walked away. Previously the school had provided the printing and binding, if it was necessary, and encouraged the students to avoid unnecessary duplication; unfortunately it usually required advance notice and the teacher's agreement. She walked to the school secretary's office but Janet Adams was missing, Joan's office was occupied so she was unavailable.

What concerned Tammy was that she would be hogging a colour printer for the best part of two hours - if she could find a fast one. There was also the need to bind the two projects, something she needed to go into town for. Tammy went looking for the Head but found Mike Thompson instead.

"I need permission to go into town, Sir."

"Can't it wait until three o'clock?"

Tammy explained her issue.

"You're cutting it a bit fine, Miss Smart, what do you have left to do today?"

"I'm free until lunch but we have a rehearsal this afternoon."

"I'll agree this under the circumstances, how do you propose to get down there?"

"I was hoping that one of the staff might be heading into town, otherwise I'll take a taxi."

"You've just missed Mrs Adams, she left here ten minutes ago."

"Can I use the phone in her office to call A1 Taxis?"

"Yes, but be back for lunch."

"Yes, Sir, thank you."

Tammy called for a cab and was told fifteen minutes. That gave her enough time to collect her bag, coat and change her shoes.

"Where are you off to?"

"Into town, John, I need something printed and bound. Don't know where, though."

"I know a place, I'll come with you."

"Get authority quickly then, the cab will be here in ten minutes."

The ride into town was uneventful and they got out in Millbank Road, not far from the Mill Theatre. Tammy paid the fare.

"Thanks for this John, I think that's the first time I've been in a taxi since that fake driver tried to abduct me."

"No problem, follow me."

He took Tammy to a small printshop, Tammy realised she must have passed it a hundred times on her way to and from the theatre without noticing the place. There was no office as such and the place was not quiet, John shouted for Tom. Tammy jumped.

"Tammy, why did you jump?" The penny dropped. "Oh, sorry, but that's the guy's name."

"It's okay, it's a distant memory. It's only because you said it."

A man now approached.

"Hello, it's master John, isn't it?"

"Hello Tom, this is my good friend Tammy. She needs your services."

"Are yours' not good enough, lad?" He laughed, whilst John went red.

"I'm sorry, now lassie what can I do for you?"

Tammy explained quickly, emphasising the deadline. She added that she wanted two sets of each project, just in case Mr Carmichael decided to be awkward.

"Not a problem, but it won't be finished until two probably as I have a load of election leaflets going through the machines right now, four different parties too!"

"That's too late."

"Don't worry, I'll deliver before three as I have some other drops to do this afternoon. Where will you be?"

"St Andrews."

"Please don't tell me that a pretty lass like you is amongst all those wealthy boys?"

"I think they're all too frightened to ask me out, and the only eligible one is already taken." Tammy smiled and squeezed John's hand as he went red again.

They agreed a price, handed over some notes, then left. It took ten minutes to get back into town so they decided a coffee was needed as they'd both missed break. Once in the hotel lounge after giving their order, John went off to the loo. Tammy looked around but seeing no-one she recognised, she took her phone out. There was a text from Sophie.

Call me when you're free

Calling from the hotel lounge was not an option, plus Tammy knew their drinks would be delivered soon. As it was, Sophie probably wouldn't have expected a call before lunchtime.

John made it back to the table only shortly before Frances brought the coffees over.

"So where are you going at Easter Tammy?"

"Just to London."

"Really?"

"Yes, I have a flat in Docklands, although I might do some exploring as well."

"What about your driving lessons now?"

"I'm hoping to get something organised. I'm doing my theory test next week."

"Something tells me you're not telling the whole story?"

"Like how many times a day I need to wee? That much detail?"

"No, no ......" John went red, again. Tammy stood and almost walked straight into Tanya.

"Are you upsetting my boy?"

"No, he was just asking too many questions, anyway I need a wee."

"I'll join you, he can wait!"

***

The pair returned to the table to find a third cup, although it was tea, sat there. That earned John a kiss, and a slap as his hand went south.

"Not here!" Tanya hissed.

"What are you ..." All three started talking at the same time. John explained first, on behalf of himself and Tammy, why they were in town.

"Well, mum had this call from Sarah saying I needed to try a dress. I had some spare time so I looked in here first."

"I tried my dress on a couple of days ago."

"Okay, can you describe it?"

"I don't know about yours but mine was long, stiff and in gold thread."

"We'll have to work on your clothing descriptions girl, that told me almost nothing."

John told Tanya that Tammy was going to be away, as would he.

"I'll be on my own? Can I go with you John?"

"Sorry, Mum and Dad have organised something for me. My last holiday with them, I guess."

"What about you Tammy?"

"I'll be at my flat in London."

"Great, when do we leave?"

"Sorry, but mum and Angela will be there."

"I'll share, I've always wanted to see London."

"I'll lend you both the flat later in the year, right?"

"Okay, but it means I'll be bored up here."

They chatted a bit more then Tanya skipped out of the hotel, heading for Sarah's Boutique. Tammy indicated she needed to go to the bank as the printshop had taken most of her remaining cash.

They walked into the bank as there was someone using the ATM outside. A new ATM was now inside the branch so Tammy used this.

"That's good, it's been awkward using the ATM outside on my own, you do know why?"

"Yes, when is the court case?"

"Monday."

"Oh."

"Yes, Dr McIntosh has given me permission to miss school."

Tammy took the hundred pounds out and stowed it safely into her purse. A new member of staff approached, John now used the ATM.

"Hello, I'm the new manager. I wonder if you would like to consider any of our products?"

Tammy was wondering how far the new manager would go, noting his name from his name badge. "Hello, Mr Angusson, I'm afraid I don't need any more products."

"We do savings, first time mortgages, insurance and much more."

"I own several properties in Scotland, England and France and have a PA in London who handles everything."

"I see." John now turned around, putting his cash away.

"Tell him that you work for the bank, dear." That earned him a Paddington stare.

"Work? Not in this branch, Miss."

"No, my father has just retired as the International Director, I worked with him when he was in Lausanne and Geneva. Mr Doherty was aware of this, didn't he brief you on any local customers of note?"

"No, this is my first week as there was a temporary manager for a few weeks. Anyway, thank you for your time."

Tammy pulled John outside.

"Dear?"

"Sorry, Tammy, I couldn't resist it!"

They made it to Sarah's shop just as Tanya emerged from the changing room. John's jaw dropped.

"You bitch Tammy!"

"You never asked about the corset!"

John realised what had been bugging him for several days. "A corset, that's what it was. You were wearing one!"

"Yes. Now stop oggling me, dear, your fiancée will get upset."

That earned Tammy a stare from Tanya and a strange expression from Sarah before they all started laughing. Tanya's face went a strange colour as she struggled for breath.

"Tanya, you have to learn to take smaller breaths until you acclimatise to the corset."

"Yes ....... Sarah."

"Tammy had the same problem."

Tammy by now had her phone out and was taking photos of Tanya.

"Can you send me some of those, I left my phone in my room!"

"Certainly John."

Tanya probably wanted to inflict pain on John but moving in the frock, effectively a black version of Tammy's, wasn't easy.

Sandy Franklin chose this moment to walk into Sarah's shop.

"Oh, that's lovely Tanya."

"Thanks, Tammy .... is going ... to owe me ... a lifetime of .... favours for ... this! Do you mind ... if I change?"

No-one objected, although Tammy wasn't sure if she heard John ask if he could help as Sandy was already talking to her.

"I'm glad you're here, I think we have the other bits you want for the male parts."

"Thanks, I want to make an impression as it'll be one of the last time all of us are there at the same time."

"That's a good attitude to take."

"There's a problem though, I'll be missing for a couple of weeks."

"Oh, will you be at the theatre on Saturday?"

"Yes."

"You'll have to incur Ian's wrath then, if he can make it. Do you know about the investigations that are going on?"

"Some of it."

"Ben's very busy, I don't see much of him at the moment. He was in a helicopter to Edinburgh a few days ago, but wouldn't tell me anything about it."

"I'm sure the investigations will calm down soon."

"I hope so."

They looked around as Tanya, back in her slacks, left the changing room. Tammy was certain she was still encased in the corset by the way she was breathing, as well as the way her figure was being enhanced. John went to give her a hug but Tanya warned him off. "Later!"

Tammy checked the time, it was almost lunchtime and they were still in town.

"John, we need to get back."

Sandy offered to drive them back, but couldn't do it until one o'clock, too late for lunch at school. Tammy had an idea.

"We'll eat in the hotel and, if you don't mind Sandy, we'll take that offer."

Sandy went back to her library whilst the three eighteen year olds went back to the hotel to order food.

***

"Now, everyone, this is Tanya Smith and she has offered to play Lady Macduff next Thursday. She'll rehearse with us today."

Tammy had reservations but accepted it would be useful for Tanya to be there, although she didn't have permission - yet - to bring someone into the school.

"I'd remind you that she is betrothed to John."

Tanya was still using the script but most of the players were more confident and happily disposed of their copies. The rehearsal was going well until Mr Thompson came into the room to say something, spotting Tanya.

"Miss Smart, explain."

"Miss Smith has been asked to take Mr Jones' place, with the Head's approval, Sir. She was free this afternoon so offered to rehearse with us. I wasn't able to get permission in advance as no-one was answering the phone."

"I see. I actually came to tell you there was a delivery for you."

"That would be my printing."

"It's in Mrs Adams' office."

"Thank you, Sir."

He left, Tammy relaxed a little.

"Did I get you in trouble, Tammy?"

"Not yet. Wait until we smuggle you onto a minibus into town!"

***

Tammy needed to rush to the hospital for her appointment, but Tanya had wanted to chat.

"Good afternoon Tammy, how are you?"

"I'm fine Jill, it's just very busy at the moment."

"No more overdoing it, you're not invincible."

"I'm careful, but we're heading into exams and I have two plays to rehearse."

"I know about Macbeth, what's the other one?"

"Macbeth also, but it's at the school. I had fun with the witches."

"Now, now, just because you like to be in skirts doesn't mean you can put some of those boys in them."

"Secretly, some of them might like it."

"Don't you dare, Miss Smart, turn any of them into your personal projects." Tammy just smiled.

"Hmmm, I was going to ask you if you've had any regrets, but all I can see is a young lady who knows what she's doing."

"It isn't always like that."

"So you do have regrets?"

"No, that's not what I meant. Sometimes I just wing it, that's all."

Jill made a few notes. "When are you seeing Julian next?"

"Three weeks."

"What are you planning to do over Easter?"

"I was going to take my driving test but my driving instructor got herself arrested and we haven't managed to find another one who can do Sundays."

"Well that's what you're not going to do, what about the rest?"

"Oh, I've had an invite from some friends who have arranged driving lessons for me."

"So you're out of Thurso?"

"Yes, a long way away."

"How will you cope, away from your support network?"

"I'll be fine."

"Really?"

"Yes, really." Tammy looked at the clock on the wall, it was gone four.

"I'm sorry about the time but I was running late."

"That's okay Jill, I was late getting here."

"At least you're here, unlike one of my other patients."

"Oh, what happened?"

"He died suddenly earlier this week."

"Chris Jones?"

"Sorry, patient confidentiality applies even after death."

up
422 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

"He died suddenly earlier this week."

so he was a patient of Jill's? For gender issues or something else? and will Tammy's life ever slow down ?

DogSig.png

Radiation leak

WillowD's picture

And don't forget that Jill had to rush out along with the ambulances when they had that "simulated" radiation leak.

oooohhhhh!

So many of you were right about master jones then!

Not real sure what GB laws

Not real sure what GB laws are regarding the death of a patient and the confidentiality laws, such Jill saying she can't mention a deceased patient's name to Tammy. In the US, once a person is deceased, their names can be given out; and with a court order/warrant, police can gain access to their medical records and physicians notes. Records/notes are not usually done as a regular course of action, but it is allowed. The theory is that no harm can come to a deceased person if records are released. Further, any records released to the police/courts are still supposed to be kept confidential and not in turn released to the press/media. Janice Lynn

Patient records

shiraz's picture

In the UK we have a national database for patient data, regardless of doctor or hospital, so a single set of laws applies to this data. The following is a guide from one of the regional health trusts (governing bodies):

Unfortunately the Data Protection Act 1998 does not apply to the deceased. The only Act that supports the confidentiality of a deceased individual is the Access to Health Records Act 1990, together with the NHS Records Management code of practice, which controls how access can be gained to the records of the deceased. In essence the Access to Health Records Act 1990 grants access to:

· The personal representative of the deceased

· Anyone with a valid claim requiring access to the deceased care records

In essence the Foundation Trust endeavours to treat the records of the deceased in the same way as those of the living, which means the records will only be released when a legitimate reason for access has been established and accepted.

Shiraz

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

Machinations

joannebarbarella's picture

A suspicious death? Mysterious helicopter trips? Sophie's sudden change of plans?

2+2=5?

Answered question

Jamie Lee's picture

The death of Chris has been accepted, by all. Even Tammy hasn't given a second thought to his death might be a ruse.

Tanya reacted pretty much as expected, after having to wear the corset. And of course she blames Tammy but she never asked about undergarments. Tammy's learning not to volunteer information, much to the chagrin of Tanya.

Tammy is also doing well in not disclosing information others don't need, such as who will be giving her driving lessons. She has to be careful, though, to keep her answers from sparking more questions.

Jill should talk to Dave, to learn how not to give away information by how she answers questions. By how she answered Tammy's question, she actually answered her question. But Tammy still doesn't know why Chris was seeing Jill.

Others have feelings too.