The Lyssa Kordenay Missions - Book 08 - Butterflies and Terror in Paradise

Printer-friendly version

 

Book 8 of The Lyssa Kordenay Missions!
  A favor in Miami provides a great time for Lyssa,
but will strange goings-on in the Hawaiian islands spell disaster?

WARNING: The Lyssa Kordenay Missions may be
hyper-violent for some readers.

 

 


 

Butterflies and Terror in Paradise

 

CHAPTER 1

Madison stared at her screen puzzled. a girl flagged as missing for two years just popped up on the grid in Hawaii, but it wasn't her it was a girl from the Philippines in the customs entry photo and she was a suspect in kidnapping, human trafficking and of late the group responsible for the kidnapping of the President's daughter. Madison sent the information to Dannigan then went into his office.

"Major...."she called as she entered.

"What is it Madison," Dannigan asked.

"On your screen something strange," she explained.

Dannigan pulled up the window and studied it for a few moments then nodded for her step out. Madison went back to her desk closing the door behind her. After a moment of thought she then pulled up the list of Lyssa Kordenay's cell numbers. The U.S. number was active so she pinged it and saw Lyssa was in Miami. She made a mental note, closed out the list and waited.

Models, waitresses, dancers and attractive women in general were everywhere. Basically any female that looked good in a skirt or bikini had been brought in. The Miami International boat show was in full swing. Lyssa meandered looking around drinking a bottle of water smiling and waving to the occasional familiar face.

"Ms. Kordenay," a voice from behind asked.

Lyssa turned to see a middle aged man in a charcoal suit waving for her attention. She stopped as he stepped closer,"yes?"

"I saw you at the theater last night, a wonderful performance," he said smiling brightly.

"Thank you so much," she replied with a smile,"I'm glad you enjoyed, its a wonderful production."
He reached into his jacket and pulled out a folded over pamphlet that opened to be the program of the production with a photo of Lyssa on the cover, the principle dancer in a pose high on her toes a look of pure seduction on her face.

He took a pen from his other pocket and offered both to her,"would you mind please?"

Lyssa smiled taking note of his name tag and wrote,' thank you, Brandon for such warm applause. am so glad you enjoyed watching us all dance. Lyssa K xxoxx', then after a moment to notice no ring she placed a print of her lipstick below her signature, a frosted berry color.

He blushed as he thanked her then made his way off leaving Lyssa to smile as she continued to wander around looking at the small yachts and boats inside the massive building. She chuckled as she passed several younger girls wearing very familiar bikinis providing 'decor' to a group of three cigarette class boats. One took notice of her then whispered to her friend who turned to look and then waved to another and directed attention to Lyssa as she slowly walked by.

The group of girls then all started clapping and looking directly at Lyssa knowing that she, herself, had modeled that same swimwear for a photo shoot in Rio recently; having seen the catalog. Lyssa stopped still, smiling and gave the girls a slow, very graceful curtsy. Someone close by asked who she was.

One of the models answered, "That's Lyssa Kordenay, she modeled these bikinis for the designer..Ana Carlucci."

A person from the crowd added,"She's a ballerina too, I saw her last night in 'Dove's Flight', it was beautiful!"

Much applause followed as she curtsied to the small crowd. "Thank you thank you. Let's not forget our beautiful and charming hostesses working here today," Lyssa said.

She turned gesturing to the girls on the boats and clapped for them followed by more applause from the crowd in support. She then picked up a beach-ball from the display and tossed it to one the girls and nodded that they should interact with the crowd, which they did tossing the ball back and forth drawing out laughter and participation from the crowd.

Lyssa slipped to the back and noticed the representative fo the company looking very disturbed.
"Now you've got real interest....after all fast boats are fun....and girls like fun....give them a few minutes then go out and start answering questions," Lyssa said with a wink then walked away with a wave to the girls.

She declined an offer of champagne from a hostess by a high end yacht cruiser but accepted a strawberry from a tray on the table. The downside to being in productions; she had to monitor her food and drink intake before the night's performance. Lyssa then walked out the large doors slipping her sunglasses down from her hair and wandered the lot with much larger boats. Her crisp white sundress reflecting much of the heat back yet complimenting her gold tan. She toured a few boats then left to relax for a few hours before the performance.

Sali got off the inter-island boat onto the dock in Kawaii and walked to the end. A bulletin board on the outside wall of the shack held business cards and flyers. she saw one with a Philippine phrase in the bottom left corner. 'Fighters of the Free'. She lifted up to look at the back, a phone number in small writing in ink almost matching the paper.

Sali wrote the number on her hand and went to the payphone. An answering machine gave an address in Philippine. She found a taxi two blocks away that dropped her at the end of a dirt road. she paid the fare then started walking and didn't stop for four miles when several men and women stepped out of the brush holding assault rifles.

Sali stood still then said clearly,"We will be free or we cannot stop fighting." They lowered their weapons then gestured her to follow. A mile further stood an old house with a few more men and women fighting hand to hand in pairs outside. She passed them by and walked inside to the kitchen where three men stood around a table of maps and papers drinking coffee.

"What news Sali,"one asked.

"Rani is dead. the house was bombed," she answered flatly,"they are all dead and the girl was rescued before."

She took a newspaper from her bag and dropped it on the table the front page showing the President along with his wife and daughter. One slammed his fist into the wall, another stormed out swearing while the remaining, who had asked the question, simply rested his fists on the table top then spat on the photo.

"We will continue, we have a plan that will work. the raw power of the earth will strike the blow for us and avenge your brother," she snarled fiercely.

CHAPTER 2

Lyssa slowly stood from her curtsy then stepped forward and took the large bouquet of roses from the man standing center-stage and dipped low for another curtsy then rose to blow a sweeping kiss to the audience. She then stepped back into the line and took the hand of the male principle as the entire cast bowed and curtsied. The curtain came down to standing ovation.

Backstage they all hugged and laughed happy with the final show the producer came out and thanked everyone and congratulated them all. As they separated to return to dressing areas the producer spoke quickly to the principles of a celebratory dinner in an hour and a half. They both nodded then hurriedly changed to go to hotel rooms to shower and dress to make the reservation.

As the main cast entered the dining room of the restaurant they were rewarded with applause as many stood in recognition. They smiled and thanked the admirers en route to the table and took their seats. Champagne was poured and a toast of praise offered after the meal as the dessert was being served.

Lyssa sipped then stood and with the remainder of her glass toasted the producer, director, male principle, and the others at the table and drained her glass with them then sat. The production would move to another city, but Lyssa wouldn't follow. The originally cast dancer would rejoin them, she'd needed to be absent for the wedding of her sister a former national pageant queen. Lyssa knew the sister as well and had been happy to dance in the production.

As a favor, of course. It had been some time since she'd been in a production and enjoyed this one as it was an original composition. She just barely managed to keep a charming composure when a high ranking but not well know drug trafficker walked into the dining room and went directly to a far table.

He wasn't on her official radar and she wasn't tasked currently, so she tried to ignore his presence. a waiter set a glass of champagne with a strawberry in it in front of her then directed her attention to the bar. The rep from the cigarette boats at the show saluted her with his own glass.

Lyssa excused herself from the table then walked slowly over to the bar with her glass.

"Ms. Kordenay as lovely in present as you are on stage. Jim Sutton,"He introduced himself.

"I remember you Mr.Sutton, Eclipse Sportmarine," Lyssa smiled,"How'd the show go for you?"
"Orders for ten boats this afternoon, Thanks to you,"He smiled.

"Mmm, not me. Those lovely fun girls in the bikinis I'd say," Lyssa reminded coyly.

"Plans for the rest of the evening," he asked.

Lyssa arched an eyebrow,"what'd you have in mind.....moonlight boat ride, Mr.Sutton?"

"Jim.....and If you'd like, but I was thinking more of a walk along the beach," he answered.

"Lyssa...." she smiled and set the glass down then walked out beside him.

"Madison...find Lyssa fast," Dannigan buzzed from the intercom.

"She is in Miami Sir," she answered immediately.

"Miami," Dannigan asked,"what's she doing in Miami?"

"Principle dancer in that production; Dove's Flight. The Miami show closed last night. Lyssa was filling in for the original dancer who's sister was getting married. In Colorado,"Madison elaborated.

"Oh. Right. Have her call in," Dannigan said.

"Yes sir," Madison answered.

A moment he buzzed back, "Madison.....was the show good,"he asked.

"Four stars in the Miami Herald," she answered.

"Wish I'd had the time...would have gone to see it," he said to himself. a few minutes later Madison buzzed in to say Lyssa was on the line.

"Lyssa? we've got something, are you committed to anything immediate," Dannigan said quickly.

Lyssa made a sleepy purr then answered,"Morning to you too Major. What time is it?"

Speechless for a moment Dannigan looked at the clock and replied," quarter of eleven, since when do you sleep that late?"

"When I'm in a good mood. That you happen to be ruining, what's up," she asked.

"Need you to head for Hawaii, you'll get a packet in L.A.," Dannigan went on," this is serious Lyssa. Your flight leaves in four hours."

"M'kay." Lyssa disconnected just as the shower cut off and Jim Sutton stepped out, toweling off.

"Morning," he smiled then looked her up and down.

Lyssa laughed,"wish I had the time but I have to leave in a couple of hours."

"I'm already late," he chuckled then started getting dressed as Lyssa watched him.

He leaned down and kissed her asked her to call him whenever she was in his area setting his card by her phone on the beside table then carefully stepped around her dress on the floor walking to the door and let himself out. Lyssa stretched languidly then got up, collected her clothes and went to shower.

Malo nodded to the woman beside him and she counted down from five then pressed the button of the small silver box in her hand. A basketball sized object suspended from a rope between two poles exploded. Cheers called out.

Sali yelled,"this is good! now we must make ready. we will need many more but larger much larger so that we will set loose the power of earth on these dogs that keep us from freedom!"

More cheering and whoops answered her as she turned back to Malo and said,"Freedom....and revenge."

"Yes. My brother, your husband. He will be avenged as we teach the Americans a vicious lesson. They have no clue what is in store. Hell of earth shall be unleashed by our hand," he snarled.

Lyssa walked through the concourse after picking up an envelope at the VIP counter. Stepping into the lounge she had to chuckle, Madison sat at the bar.

"Lyssa! Great to see you....wow nice tan," Madison greeted her.

"You look great too, that spa must have been really nice,"Lyssa answered exchanging hugs with her,"Let's get a table and catch up."

They sat and talked about Madison's birthday, Lyssa's recent production to which she slipped Madison a DVD of the closing night performance. Madison slipped her a disc saying it was the main celebration of a party then stood and gave her another hug, claiming her flight being called.

Lyssa said goodbye then took out her phone and switched it from the U.S. number to the Hawaiian number and dialed.

"Mahalo, this is Leila,"a woman answered on the third ring.

"Mahalo hulagirl,"Lyssa giggled.

"Lyssa! how are you? where are you," Leila asked then giggled.

"L.A., on my way to the big island,"Lyssa answered with a laugh.

"Cool, when does your flight leave there," Leila asked looking at her watch.

"Half an hour. Can you meet me at baggage claim,"she asked.

"No problem, fun or work,"Leila quipped.

"Why don't we see what I can get into, see you then," Lyssa chuckled.

Leila assured her she would be there and disconnected. Fifteen minutes later she walked down the jetway and boarded the plane for the first class section. After take off she booted up her laptop and ran the disc from Madison, a briefing packet.

CHAPTER 3

Leila stood in Baggage claim waiting as Lyssa came around the corner then waved. Leila smiled and wlaked over to hug her friend, "wow....you look great."

"You too. A true daughter of Pele herself,"Lyssa complimented her friend.

Lyssa caught her bag as it came around the carousel then they walked to the doors.

once outside Leila asked,"Which hotel you want to stay at?"

"I'm not staying at a hotel this time Leila,"Lyssa answered.

Leila looked at her puzzled. She knew Lyssa did alot of favors for favors and that's how she moved around the world alot. One girl joked that Lyssa might be the occasional private mistress which allowed her to drop out of sight from time to time. Once for three months leading to rumors that a discreet boyfriend may have gotten rough with her or that she had gotten pregnant.

Both were dismissed when she broke surface again in a ballet production in Australia in top form. That led to two new rumors of either plastic surgery for enhancement or the more logical: intense ballet training in preparation for the two week long production. Leila also knew that Lyssa kept a house on the big island but rarely stayed in it, mostly Lyssa lived in hotels or stayed with a friend wherever she was.

The drive out to the hillside beach house went quickly though. Puzzled Leila stayed in the car as Lyssa went inside for a moment then came back out and retrieved her bag. Leila followed her in.

"Nice place, never think it belongs to a howli girl," Leila blurted out then noticed Lyssa's side glance,
"Sorry Lyssa, didn't mean it like that."

"Its a word you grew up with Leila," Lyssa remarked flatly.

"Yeah but not nice, and especially when its a friend," she apologized.

"No sweat hun,"Lyssa said as they took her bags into the bedroom.

Leila watched as Lyssa unpacked then slipped out of the silk dress not surprised that she wore only panties under it. She wrapped a sarong around herself and tied it behind her neck then put the dress away.

"Staying long,"she asked curious.

"Not really, I have a runway show in Paris next month but nothing else on the book til then,"Lyssa replied as they went back into the kitchen and she poured two glasses of wine.

"Lys...I know you do favors for people....is that why you're here...to do somebody a favor," Leila asked bluntly.

Lyssa took a sip from her glass slowly then looked at her friend, "yes, I'm doing a favor for a very old friend. Its very important and I was asked."

"Oh," Leila replied.

"Leila I'm looking for some people. Philippino. They're not nice and are keeping to themselves," Lyssa said pointedly," I mean real low profile Leila...they're even avoiding the established Philippene settled here."

Leila thought for a moment then said,"Well not here but over on Kawaii my cousin said there's some strange stuff going on."

"How strange," she asked.

"Well you know how locals have places...secret places.....tourists don't know and aren't told about," Leila started.

"Yes and very territorial about them too, surfing and places for the kahunas to practice their native medicine, etc." Lyssa commented.

"Right, you get the idea. Well there's this one place were the local boys and girls go. You know. Its a pretty place and well, they hook up there. Its a very long road to get to it and there's a beach there,"Leila explained.

"A lover's cove," Lyssa supplied.

"Yeah,"Leila continued," well for the past month there's some Philippene guys along that road now, with guns. They beat up a my cousin's niece's boyfriend and his friend. They were taking the girls out there to go swim and...you know."

"Oh," Lyssa asked,"then what?"

"They went out there with more guys and when they came back they wouldn't talk about it but started whispering not to go back out there among the other teens. That means they had guns..serious guns Lyssa. Some of the boys out there don't play around. You know," the Haiwaiian model said.

"I get the picture,"Lyssa said,"looks like i need to get over to Kawaii."

"I dunno Lyssa, this sounds dangerous," Leila said worried.

"I can take of myself, and anybody else that comes along," Lyssa answered then took another sip of wine," show me what you know." Lyssa took out a detailed map of Kawaii.

Dannigan sat in his office as Madison walked back in smiling."How'd it go," he asked.

"Without a hitch and I got a bonus,"Madison answered brightly and held up the disc then passed it to him.

"What's this," he asked taking it.

"Enjoy, I'm heading home," she chuckled and walked back out.

Dannigan looked at the blank disc then loaded it into his computer then smiled as the opening title cleared. He reached down and took out the bottle of bourbon and poured some into a glass then leaned back to watch the ballet with a smile.

Sali looked over the devices. They had fifteen and would need more. Each the size of a large suitcase and packed with one hundred pounds of their special blend of explosives. The fishing boat sat outside the cove ready to transport them and their cargo to the main island. No one could stop them now and revenge would be theirs. She would bring the Americans to their knees then demand lives of sacrifice in return for her husband's. But first, to get the attention of the world.

CHAPTER 4

The inter-island hop took no time at all thanks to Leila's pilot friend. Lyssa lay concealed within a cluster of ferns as she watched the people moving large cases by zodiac raft to the fishing trawler just offshore. She used her rifle's scope to view closer then activated its camera feature. After plugging a cable to it from her laptop to her phone. She took several stills then uploaded them to Dannigan.

a few moments later a message came back. He'd brought an attacksub from Pearl Harbor up on tasking. The trawler would be boarded by SEALS once out of sight. A detachment from the original Naval Security Coordination Team were currently running exercises at Pearl Harbor. The vaunted and notorious Red Cell were back in business. Disbanded for conducting entirely too realistic simulations, they had humiliated too many Admirals for their incompetence and beauracracy. They "played beyond rough." The SEALs had not only "blown air force one off the map", they had also successfully penetrated Camp David and "leveled the Presidential Cabin". The Commander paid the price for stressing such realism with a serious witch hunt, followed by a dog and pony show trial. This was good news for her though, she needed serious bad boys for these fanatics. These SEALs earned respect by bodycounts and damage. They'd enjoy the chance to do what they truly did best; take out terrorists.

The group finished Loading the cases and pulled the raft aboard. Not good. They were leaving several behind at the shack. She heard the roar of the trawler as it started then slowly powered out of the cove. It appeared destined back to the big island. Lyssa dialed out her scope further and scanned slowly.

She found it. The periscope of the trailing sub. That was in their hands now. She watched them for fifteen minutes then set a charge on her equipment set for four hours then slowly moved in.

Sali smiled coldly. The boat was well on its way now, underway for an hour. They would contact her in the morning after completion of the setting of the explosives at the volcano. Four would give their lives to place the charges at the weakened wall and unleash the lava.

A muffled sound outside drew her attention, likely one of the clumsy men stumbling around outside looking for a place to pleasure himself since she had declared the women off limits to them. A floorboard creaked. The Philippine turned to see who dared to disturb her and saw a woman in form fitted black with streaks of black and grey greasepaint across her face. The markings concealed her identity well, but the blonde hair in a ponytail gave away the clue that she was American.

She glanced at the picture on the wall of Rani then back to the lethal looking woman expressionless.
"My husband will be avenged dog,"Sali hissed at her.

"I think not,"Lyssa said softly.

In answer a very loud explosion was heard in the distance. Lyssa's expression didn't change as she commented in an icy voice, "the best laid plans......" then gave her a cold smile.

Sali drew a long knife from the sheath on her thigh,"I'll send your head to your President American whore!"

She launched herself leading with the wicked looking blade at Lyssa who spun at the last moment and pulled her past, dropping a chop to the base of Sali's skull. She then grabbed and catapulted her into the doorway. The loud slam masked the snap of bone and cartilage in Sali's nose. With a scream of rage Sali spun sweeping the knife as blood streamed from her smashed nose but gained nothing as Lyssa had already stepped back out of her range.

Like a banshee Sali shrieked and charged Lyssa again bringing the blade down in a slashing arc but was intercepted. Lyssa's boot heel connected to her knee causing it to snap bringing her to the floor screaming.

Lyssa gave no inch as she dropped her knee on Sali's right shoulder then wrenched her arm by the wrist, snapping the joint. Sali screamed and thrashed in pain that climbed an octave when Lyssa took her by the hair and dragged her outside then dropped her in the dirt.

Sali's vision cleared to see the eight bodies of her remaining comrades laid out in a row in front of her. Lyssa stood silently, watching her struggle up to sit kneeling then swiftly slammed her own knife deep into Sali. She had dipped low to bring the Marauder's blade in at angle from the stomach through diaphragm making a small slice into the heart.

Sali froze feeling the cold blade deep inside her chest. Lyssa's steel grey eyes looking deep into hers.

"Past the gates of hell; Before the devil's throne. I've been to Hell, my regards to your husband. Enjoy your rewards," Lyssa whispered then yanked the knife free making blood gush from the wound.

Sali looked from the wound and her blood soaking the dirt to the sky and pleaded softly," Noooo."

Lyssa stepped closer and whispered into Sali's ear, "I'm being kind. The death you deserve shouldn't be this quick and clean."

Sali sang her death song; a loud and long pitched wail that trailed off. She slumped then. Out of breath, out of life and was still. Lyssa quickly retrieved her rifle and other equipment then took photos of all papers inside. She also took the five laptops and cellphones then set a timed incendiary and slipped back into the jungle.

Dannigan had been waiting all night and the better part of the day when the messages came through. The SEALs had overtaken the boat and seized all the terrorists on board then would be detonating all the explosives on board, rending safe.

Two hours later another message came through: Data and electronics retrieved from the hardsite would be shipped in for further investigation. same group responsible for abduction of "princess"...end message.

A news service from the islands ran a broadcast that a shack fire had brought attention to a cluster of bodies under false identity to gain U.S. entry. All had been killed by an unknown gunshot, sharp blade or in a martial arts maneuver, very suspicious circumstances. Dannigan had to chuckle at that, it was a message very loud and extremely clear to the remaining terrorists; "cease actions or pay the price, along with failure"

Leila watched in horror at the news footage from Kawaii. A shack burnt to the ground with dead bodies laid out in the dirt in front. There was alot more to her friend than she really knew...things to be frightened of she thought as Lyssa walked in wearing all black, looking more like a creature of jungle vengeance than the model and ballerina she had laughed and joked with.

Later on Lyssa came from the shower wrapped in a towel and poured a cup of coffee then faced Leila, her eyes like a winter storm she'd once seen in Europe.

"I don't have to say that what you now know is to be kept to yourself. Do I,"Lyssa asked.

"No Lyssa, they were bad people and you had to do it and I don't need to know anything more,"Leila answered.

Lyssa nodded," Good. It would be a bad idea for anyone to try entering my house without me. They wouldn't live to regret it."

The Haiwaiian model nodded,"I'll make sure peope stay away Lyssa."

After a couple of moments Leila asked," Were you like this before or after you became a Prima?"

Lyssa sipped the local coffee and looked out the window," Its going to be a beautiful day. Too bad I have to leave tomorrow."

Lyssa Kordenay will return in Glamour and Collectors
up
541 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

You keep . thanx for the

You keep . thanx for the nodgetting better and better as you write,I now sit with bated breath waiting for the next episode.
thank you for the nod

*wink*

Alecia Snowfall's picture

lol...as I keep saying..."Lyssa ain't done yet."

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

wow

Alecia Snowfall's picture

I guess everybody has been left speechless.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Snowfall,

Snowfall,
Too bad Lyssa can't be introduced to Lady Catherine Cameron and be able to give Cathy a hand in teaching a few Russians a true lesson about leaving others alone or suffer the consequences of your actions.
Lyssa is just the type of friend you need with you when you travel down a dark and strange alleyway or highway.
Janice Lynn

I wish

That real ops were that tidy.
She's an accomplished agent. I wish her well.
I can't help thinking that PTSD is being held at bay by the tiniest of margins and that she has too many acquaintances with knowledge of her tasks and abilities.
I wish her well and hope she never finds herself in the wrong lace at the wrong time.
Great tension writing.

Well let's say she finally hits PTSD

Will she even be able to get help considering how compartmentalized her ops are.

One wonders how people like her (and I suspect there are ones that exist) can stay in this line of work before burning out. Now that she has exacted her revenge on the ones that had hurt her, wouldn't the drive abate a bit?

Too many secrets.....

D. Eden's picture

Lyssa is playing a dangerous game - too many people are learning too much about her secret life. The old saying is that the only way two people can keep a secret is if one of them is dead.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

responses

Alecia Snowfall's picture

I appreciate the feedback. what I appreciate more is the discussion. We all have or know somebody with something in common with Lyssa. There is something I want to discuss but I have to wait until book-10 as its very pertinent to that one.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Another

...great story. I look forward to the next ones.

I echo the comments of one of the previous comments about too many people knowing about Lyssa.

Joanna

Riveting tale.

I sometimes wonder about the plausibility of this series, but it is fun.

Thanks

Gwen

big problem

Alecia Snowfall's picture

my laptop has decided it doesn't want to cooperate with me and that's a serious problem because all of LKM and PomPom are on it. as soon as I can I'll post. wish me luck......desktop is frozen and unresponsive.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Hopefully...

You've since learned the importance of backups (and maybe even backups of backups), so if one of your computers goes FUBAR, all's not lost.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Another very good story

gillian1968's picture

I especially enjoyed this one.

The last question can be a difficult one for many of us. Something happened and we weren't the same anymore. Did it change us or just let us see what was there all along?

Gillian Cairns