Badasses Of the Multiverse: Book 3: Chapter 07

Printer-friendly version

Badasses Of the Multiverse, Book 3: “The Student, The Hacker, and The Soldier.”

Chapter Seven: “The Long Road Ahead...”

By Paul Cousins.

Copyright Disclaimer: All copyrighted places, characters, items, and events, within the story, are held by their current owners. No profit is being made on this work of fiction.

(_)

Some time later, after Bob, Ed and Boris' adventure in Hong Kong, in another alternate Earth, in the late twentieth century. It was during the middle of autumn. Ed, Boris, and Bob were hiding in a recently abandoned, but fairly well built home, that was located half a mile outside from a small U.S. town.

The temperature was cool, but not cold, on a mostly cloudy day.

Though, the problem was the three friends had, was that they presently had no transportation.

So, someone had to go get food and drink for them.

Fortunately, half a mile was not that far. With a grocery store being right inside of town, from where they were staying.

Though, since Ed was too small and Boris to was starting feel more tried than usual, that left Bob to go run the errands.

It was decided that Ed and Boris would keep the reality device, with Bob having an encrypted, hand-held radio, so if need be, he could call them for help.

It took him an hour and a half to walk all the way to town, acquire the groceries, pay for the items with his debit card, and start heading back to their home, with his items. The food and other necessities that Bob purchases where in place grocery bags.

Now, he was walking down the deserted, two lane, paved room, with lead back to their hideout. As Bob walked, he carried bags of goods, by their handles, with with a few bags in each of his hands.

Bob was wearing his usual clothing, including his long coat, necklace, sunshades, and black boots.

He even had on his gunbelt, with his revolver holstered in it. There were a few speedloaders in the pockets of his coat.

As Bob walked down the side left side of the road, so he could see oncoming traffic, he thought, 'It has been years since Boris taught Ed and I how to shoot various firearms. While he also helped up refine our hand to hand skills. And I enjoy knowing how to use a gun. And now to take care of a gun.'

'Rico taught me a few things about handling a gun. But, Boris taught me so much more. Though, Ed prefers not to have a gun. Still, that is her choice. She can handle herself just fine, without one.'

It was then that he noticed a woman walking towards him, further up the road, from himself.

At the moment, she was about fifty yards from him.

As the woman got closer to Bob, he got a better look at her.

She was a young, beautiful, athletic, fair skinned woman, with brown hair that was cut short, at the back of her neckline.

But, the odd thing about he was her clothing. Except for the black boots that were clearly made for a woman, she wore masculine clothing that was fitted for her.

She wore brown pant, a white t-shirt, over an open brown jacket.

Bob then saw her unclasp a metal cylinder from the right side of belt.

Bob then watched as the woman held the cylinder in her right hand, with her hand being pointed down, and way form her right side.

Next, Bob saw the woman pressed a switch on the cylinder, and red energy blade popped out from one of its ends, away from her right side, in a downward, at a slightly diagonal direction.

Bob thought, 'A lightsaber! This is not good! Whoever this is, she is clearly here for me. Considering, I am literally the only one present. And red usually means Sith. And Sith love to throw around electricity. Meaning, I am screwed.'

Bob stopped in his tracks. He then set his groceries onto the road, to his sides. Next, he pulled out his radio from his coat.

He pressed the talk button, as said into the radio, “Boris.”

A few seconds later, Boris replied, through his own hand-held radio, “Yes.”

Bob asked, “When you were working with Chang, did you catch any Sith?”

Boris answered, “Yes. We captured a number of Sith, and few Jedi.”

By now the woman was twenty-five feet from him.

Bob got a good look at her face, as he thought, 'She looks kind of like a sister to... Oh crap!'

Bob quickly inquired, “Boris, when you were working for Chang. Did Chang's organization ever catch Darth Vader, and put him through the vat treatment?”

Boris replied, “While, I did not know about the process at the time. I heard Vader was captured. So, I guess, the answer would be, yes. I heard through second hand sources that Rock freed her before she was impregnated, and she worked with Rock to defeat Chang. Why do you ask?”

Bob stated, “Because I am looking at her right now. For such stupidity, I am going to strangle Chang the next time I see her.”

Boris responded, “I will bring the rope. And I can be there in five minutes.”

Bob ordered, “Don't bother. She is way beyond us in skills and powers. You would just die with me. I am going to have to handle this one alone. Though, promise me. If something happens, you will make sure Ed gets home, and is okay.”

Boris replied, “I promise.”

Bob said, “Thanks Boris. If I do die today, just know there will be someone in heaven advocating for your soul.”

Boris commented, “I appreciate that, Bob. Good luck.”

Bob put back his radio back into his coat.

Bob thought, 'I got to handle this just right. And I am not even going to pull my pistol on her. That would be insulting to both of us. Considering that she would just used her lightsaber to deflect the bullets. Or, the force to disarm me. Maybe quite literally.'

By then, the woman was about fifteen feet from Bob.

Bob looked at the woman, as he said to her, in a calm tone of voice, “I have a good idea why you are here. All I ask is please, no electricity.”

Suddenly, he felt himself lifted off the ground and was being choked at the same time.

He gasped out, “Thank you.”

He then felt himself be thrown back onto the ground. Which dazed him, but otherwise, left him unharmed.

It took a few seconds for Bob to come to fully come to his senses.

When Bob did finally become completely aware of his surrounds, he noticed that he had a lightsaber held a few inches above his face.

Bob did not dare make any movements.

The woman spoke in clear english, with an authoritative tone that Bob had only heard Boris use when they needed to get out of trouble quickly, without violence, “Rock told me about you, Bob. Still, as I have been hunting you. I have been thinking about your situation. And the question that I find myself repeating in my mind, is what am I going to do with you, Bob, when I capture you? Now, I have you. And I have to answer that question.”

“I could turn you over to Rock, but they would more than likely make you one of us. Maybe worse, if Revy got her hands on you. Or, I could just kill you. Still, you haven't really done anything to warrant death. Yet. All the information you have can be accessed, by anyone, with a little work. You just managed to put most of the pieces together.”

“So, I believe you should decide. What do I do with you?”

Bob thought, 'I have another idea. And it is just crazy enough to work.' He suggested, “How about a third option? I talk you out of the first two options, and you let me go?”

The woman said, “Okay.”

The lightsaber blade moved from his sight. He then heard the energy blade being collapsed, with the lightsaber turned off.

Bob thought, with relief, 'Well, that was easier than I expected. Not, that I am complaining. Also, I need to keep in mind. She can sense me lying. So, I need to tell the truth. Though, as long as I am polite, I should be able to talk my way out of this mess.'

'And on the bright side. I don't see Rock being able to call in anyone more powerful than her. Not even the Bloodhound is as dangerous as her. So, if I can talk my way out of this mess. Then, Rock has wasted her most powerful card. And all I have to worry about is Revy, Shenhua, and Sawyer.'

While Bob slowly leaned up into a sitting position, he saw the woman clip her lightsaber back onto the right side of her belt.

Next, Bob watched as the woman sat down on the road, a few feet in front of him. She had her knees tucked to her chest, while holding her arms around her lower legs. Her lightsaber was clipped back to her belt.

She calmly said, “Well, here is your chance to talk me out of capturing you.”

Bob thought, 'She seems so calm and reserved. Not like the reckless Anakin. Nor, the rage filled Vader.'

Bob asked, “How should I address you? Anakin? Vader?”

The woman answered, “You can all me, Annie.”

Bob inquired, “I thought you hated that nickname?”

Annie replied, “I did. Now, I don't. Didn't Rock, Revy, or Rico tell you about me?”

Bob answered, “Apparently not. I would remember them mentioning someone of your... Notoriety.”

Annie cracked a grin, as she let out a warm laugh. She then responded, with slight amusement in her tone of voice, “I admire your diplomacy. Still, my own previous actions do occasionally concern me. But, that is the past. So, start talking.”

Bob said, “Well Annie, for starters, I can get you to your home reality.”

Annie became extremely introspective, as she pointed out, “I can already do that on my own. Besides, do I really want to go home? Though, I remember my life as both Anakin and Vader, am I still Anakin? Or Vader? Since I learned that I did not kill me wife, Padme, all that self-hatred has disappeared.”

Bob questioned, “I am guessing that Rock told you about Padme?”

Annie replied, “Yes. That is a good guess.”

Bob said, “Well, I saw the movies, and you were not informed on that matter. So, it has to be someone that you met outside of those movies. And since Boris mentioned that you were with Rock, during your fight with Chang. And given Rock is good at manipulating people. I guessed it was her.”

Annie complimented, “That is very astute of you.” She thought, 'Rock was right. This man is sharp.'

Bob replied, “Thank you.”

Annie commented, “You're welcome. And I have seen those movies, as well. To be exact, I have seen all six movies. I even seen various clone wars series. Among other reading, and viewing experiences.”

Bob asked, “Interesting. Are you from the end of the movie series?”

Annie answered, “No. I was kidnapped around ten years after I ended up in that damn, black suit. Between the prequel and original trilogies. Anyway, I don't want to risk reawakening that anger by going back. It is really something to see the mistakes I have both done, and what I would have done if I had continued on that course in life, from a third person's point of view. It really puts things in perspective. I am quite literally dead, twice over. I am not even a man anymore.”

Bob chose to remain slightly, as Annie continued her statement.

Annie said, “And I know that if I go back, it might make things worse. As things sit, my children will remember me with love as Anakin Skywalker, while hating me as Darth Vader. By me not returning, it also puts Obiwan and Yoda in a bind. They planned to turn my children as weapons against me. Their whole plans hinged on me being alive to confront my own children. Now, with me gone, their plans have been destroyed.”

“And if they tell my children the truth, it will be even worse for them, because they would have to admit to lying to the twins. Those thoughts make me laugh. I may someday return to my children to help them. But, it will as their parent. Not a hero, nor monster.”

“Also, I know it is hard to accept someone who has lived two completely different identities. Let alone three identities.”

Bob thought with amazement, 'I never thought I would see Vader... I mean Annie, be so profound in her statements. She has definitely thought about her life. And she realized she need to change course for the better. Though, she does need some mental help. For identity issues. But, I will mention that topic, later.'

'Right now, this might be an opportunity, to get to understand Rock more, thought Annie. By learning other points of view. I will just have to be careful in doing so...'

'Though, I better not use the phase. Point of view. Considering, both Annie, as Vader, and later Obiwan, used that term to justify their... Questionable actions.'

Bob responded, “I can see you have definitely see you have put a lot of thought in this subject. And I can understand your view point. Should you ever decide to return to you home reality, should you handle your situation, with your children, from a mature, honest standpoint. Where you take your time. I believe you still might be able to have a friendship with both your children.”

Annie said, in a slightly happy tone of voice, “I believe you might be right. I will consider what you have said.”

Bob inquired, “Thank you. And I do not mean to be rude, but I was wondering. How did you react to when you found out you had been changed into a woman? I am trying to built a psyche profile on reactions to such changes.”

Annie smiled, as she answered, “Given what you face, it is a good question. The first day I awoke. After I was changed. I could actually feel my body. I could feel my limbs. I was in no pain. I was breathing freely without a mask, and life-support system. And for the first time in years, I was seeing the outside world with my own eyes.”

“I thought I had died in battle. That I was finally free of that damned black suit. I thought the force had restored me. Made me whole, in the form of a spirit. It was not until a few seconds later that I realized that I had been turned into a woman. I was a little shocked, and upset.”

“But, to be honest, after I began to think about my current situation, I became much less upset about being a woman. I came to realize, that beforehand. For severally years I had lived as literally half a man, whom raged and murdered anyone in his way. I did not want to go back to being that man. And in all honesty, I would have gladly traded what was left of my manhood, which was not much, for a healthy body. Even a healthy female body.”

Bob thought carefully in choosing his next words, as he offered, “Thank you for answering my question. It is clear that you have some identity issues to deal with. Which is perfectly normal for someone in your situation. I can help you find professionals that making a living helping people deal with such issues. A professional can help ease you through the problems you are having.”

Annie kindly stated, “Do not worry. I have come to terms with being a woman. And while I was brainwashed, I have broken through most of the conditioning. Still, I will admit that there are parts of my personality that I was never allowed to develop. The Jedi were not allowed to have romantic social development. And though I loved Padme, our relationship started more from a lack of options, than anything else. She was the pretty girl that literally helped free me from slavery. I loved her for that.”

“Though, I now realize. Because of this lack of maturity, on my part, at the time, I do not even know myself, how I truly felt on this matter. I never had the chance to figure out whom I preferred in romantic ways. I enjoyed making love to Padme, though the force I could sense her spirit, and it was that spirit that I loved the most, not her body. And being changed into a woman has confused matters even more.”

“I have even thought about becoming a mother. Padme seemed to have enjoyed her pregnancy. At least until the birth of our children. So, the thought has crossed my mind, a few times. But, I honestly don't know what to do with myself.”

Bob stated, “Welcome to real life. None of us are really sure about our feelings. It is all guess work. Trial and error. That is life. The point is to learn from one's mistakes.”

Annie agreed, “You are correct about that, Bob.”

Bob asked, “And speaking of guess work. Considering our current situation. I guess the question comes down to. Do you believe what your friends are doing is right?”

Bob could see Annie thinking about what they had talked about. A minute later, she smiled, and said, “You win.”

Annie then got up from the ground. As she stood, she stated, “Good luck in your travels. You are going to need it.”

She turned and started walked passed him, to his left. With her heading in the opposite direction he was heading.

Bob stood up. He turned and watched Annie continue to walk away from him.

He thought, 'Well, that turned out better than I expect. I best get out of here. In case she changes her mind.”

Bob then turned back towards the direction he was heading. He walked a few feet, to where his grocery bags were. He picked up his bags, by the handles, with a few bags, in each of his hands.

Next, Bob started walking back to the hideout he and his friends were staying at.

(_)

Half an hour later, Bob made it to the hideout that he and his friends currently living in.

A few seconds after walking inside, he set down his groceries, and made his way into the living room.

He saw his friends were sitting in to cushions chairs, in the living room. With each of them reading a book. With a couch and coffee table set between them. And the couch facing Bob.

Boris and Ed's chairs faced each other, with the coffee table between them.

Bob thought, 'It is best that I announce myself. I don't want Boris accidentally shooting me.' He calmly said, “Hi guys.” He then walked closer to them, with him coming to a stop, a few feet from them.

Both Ed and Boris turned to look at Bob.

When the two of them saw Bob, Ed shouted, “Bob, your back!”

Boris asked, “How did you escape, Vader?”

Both Ed and Boris set the books they were reading down, as the stood up from their chairs.

Bob answered, “I convinced Annie to let me go. Not Vader. Not Anakin. Annie. I do not think we will have to worry about her. To be honest, I think I would worry for her. Still, if she can find us here, the others can find us here, as well. We are going to have to leave.”

Boris replied, “I agree.”

Ed said, “So, does Ed.”

Then, group then went collect their things. And when they had gathered their luggage, belongings, and the groceries Bob had just bought, they took their items with them, as left for another reality.

(_)

In the Black Lagoon Reality, on Lagoon Island, it was the middle of the afternoon, on a partly cloudy day.

In the Lagoon mansion, in the well equipped gym, Rock was working out on a pull down machine.

Rock was wearing matching blue sweat shorts, and a crop top. She also wore a blue sports bra, underneath her croptop. And she had on blue socks, under black tennis shoes.

Along with her clothing, Rock had her long black hair, pulled together, in a ponytail, with a small blue scrunchy.

For Rock, it has been a day after her trip to Hong Kong in the past. For each, Rock was only going a few minutes, for those in the present.

At the moment, Rock was using the pull down machine, with a wide grip, to work her shoulders, arm, and underarm muscles.

As she exercised, she thought, 'Super-soldier serum, or no super-soldier serum, it is good to exercise. And it is nice to see how strong I am, now. Last night. After we put the children to bed, and Dutch, Benny, Janet, and I, had some beers. We had an interesting conversation.'

'When I told Dutch, Benny, and Janet about me meeting Chang as a rookie police officer in Hong Kong. They got a good chuckle over that. So, did Annie, when I told her. Speaking of Annie, I wonder if Annie has captured Bob, Ed, and Boris, yet. Getting in touch with her was easy. And this should be a piece of cake for her. Now, to work on my back and butt muscles.'

Rock got up from the exercise machine. She then walked towards the Roman chair, when she heard a familiar voice ask, from behind her, “So, do all the women here exercise?”

Rock smiled, as she came to a stop. She continued to smile, as she turned around to face Annie, whom was about fifteen feet away from her.

Rock thought, 'I sometimes forget how good she is at sneaking up on people. Now, for the good news I have been waiting for, from her. And I can finally go get Revy, Shenhua, and Sawyer. With them being able to return to their lives. And Revy can be with us, in raising our children.'

Rock happily answered, “Yes. We do. We usual spot for each other. But, I am just doing basic stuff by myself, while the others watch the kids. So, where are Bob, Ed, and Boris?”

Annie calmly stated, “I only met Bob, and I let him go.”

Rock forced herself to remain calm, as she thought, 'I have to remain calm. I have to remember that I am addressing someone who used to be Darth Vader. Though, Annie has much control over her emotions. And through training, over the last few years, much of her force abilities and powers have returned to her. I also have to keep in mind that she can read my emotions.'

Annie complimented, “Rock, your self-restraint is admirable.”

Rock responded, “Annie, I realize you can read my emotions. I see no point in getting upset. So, what happened?”

Annie stated, “Bob made a convincing argument.”

Rock inquired, “I am sure he did. Half the time, he has a knack for talking his way out of trouble.”

Annie said, “You have that in common, with him. Actually, you have more in common, than either of you will likely admit.” She thought, 'That might be one of the main reasons you are after him, Rock. Either as a worthy challenge. Or, you own concern about what threat you could present to the multiverse. If you wanted too do so. Or, maybe both. Though, you clearly are not ready to admit that to anyone, including yourself.'

Rock mentally admitted, 'She is right about that.' She responded, “Point taken. So, what did you sense from him?”

Rock thought, 'At least, from Annie's abilities, I can get an idea of Bob's state of mind. And plan accordingly.'

Annie stated, “Besides his intellect and wit, he is just an ordinary man, for his age. There is concern for his friends, his future, and the subtle background horniness from meeting a beautiful woman.”

Rock smiled, as she said, “That figures. Well, thank you for at least trying.” She thought, 'I am not sure why? But, I only feel indifferent about Bob presently not having any serious ambitions.'

Annie suggested, “Rock. A word of advice. Let the man, and his friends, go. I don't think it will help anyone if you and Revy continue this hunt.”

Rock answered, “I will take your suggestion under advisement. Have a good day, Annie.”

Annie replied, “You too, Rock.”

Annie then turned and left the room.

Rock thought, 'Well, at least that went well. Annie is too much of a friend, and too powerful, to break a friendship over not going after some people I am concerned about. Also, Revy, Shenhua, and Sawyer are still out there. So, there was nothing to be lost by making this attempt, of asking Annie to go after them.'

'And due to Annie having a conversation with Bob, I now have an idea of Bob's current state of mind. So, I still profited from Annie's help. I just need to think about what my next move is going to be.'

Rock then began planning, as she turned and walked towards the Roman chair, to continue her usual exercise regiment.

(_)

Another Alternate Earth, in the last twentieth century, on in a suburban town of Miami, on the beach, on the east cost of the state of Florida, in the United States of America.

Locally, it was late afternoon, on a warm, sunny day.

It has been a few hours after Bob had met Annie, with Bob, Ed, and Boris then leaving that reality, for the reality they were current in.

It was late afternoon as they entered their new home. It was a three bedroom condo, that had just been repossessed, with its belongings still inside. Ed had hacked the computer files, to make it looked like it had belong to them.

Ed also was the one to pick the lock to the front door, so they could enter they the home. And after they moved all their belongings inside, the entered their home, and locked the door behind them.

They home always already furnished with furniture, and other necessities.

After they checked to make sure the home was deserted. Which it was. They unpacked, their luggage, and other items. Including the groceries, which Bob had bought in the previous reality, all three were in the living room of the condo.

All three adults had just enter the living room.

Boris sat on the couch, as Bob and Ed walked around the couch, and the coffee table in front of the couch, to sit in some cushioned chairs.

Boris leaned back on the couch, as he stated, “I am tried. I think I will get some rest.”

Boris' commit caught Bob and Ed's attention. Both of them stopped in their tracked, as they turned towards Boris, and looked down at him.

Ed commented, in a concerned tone of voice, “Ed thinks Boris is too tired, too often.”

Bob said, “Ed has a point, Boris. We both have noticed that you have steadily been getting more tire, more often. We talked about it, and we were waiting for you to say something. Since Ed wants to know, now. I want to know, now. What is going on?”

Boris pulled out a pill bottle from his pocket. He opened it, got out a pill, and swallow it. He then closed the bottle and set it on the coffee table, for Ed and Bob to see.

Boris looked up at Bob and Ed, as he stated, in a sober tone of voice, “I am dying of cancer. The medication you just saw me take has slowed the progress of the cancer by several years. I take a pill a day. But, the medication had been losing its effectiveness over the last month, and I can feel the cancer hitting me hard. At this rate, I will likely be dead in a few weeks, to a month.”

Bob asked, “What about other treatments? Even conventional treatments.”

Boris stated, “I have looked into those options. They can buy me a few months, but the quality of life goes so far down, I do not think it would be worth it.”

“And right after I left Hotel Moscow, I traveled across the realities to look for other treatments throughout the multiverse. I could not find anything that would buy me more than a year as most, that I would live with.”

“The other more radical treatments, like full cyberization from the Ghost in the Shell reality, were too high a tradeoff for me. I want to be human. Not mostly a machine.”

Ed said, “Ed understands.”

Boris responded, “Thank you, Ed... After six months of looking, with no cure. I realized I could waste what time I had left, looking for a cure, or I could enjoy the time I had left. That was when I traveled realities to meet with Zangief. Because I was a fan of his. I figured if I could not cure myself, I could use the time I had to strengthen my body and buy myself some more time that way.”

“Unfortunately, there was an accident with my reality device, and it stopped working. I then went into a bit of a drunken stupor.”

Bob stated, “That does answer a few questions. And that is why you trained us further.”

Boris replied, “Yes. If I could not protect you. You had to be able to protect yourselves.”

Bob said, “Fair enough.”

Ed asked, “Why didn't you tell us?”

Boris answered, “I did not want to worry you about something you could not control. I want you both to know that I have had a great time with you two. I didn't want to ruin it by having this hang over us. You two have been great friends. I would do it all over again with you. My only regret is that I cannot continue this adventure with both of you.”

Ed stated, “Ed forgive you.”

Bob said, “So, do I. You have been a good teacher, and friend, as well.”

Ed asked, “Ed agrees with Bob on friendship. So, when did you first find out you had cancer?”

Boris began, “It started a long time before I met either of you. When I was still working with Chang, in her Tower, in our home reality...”

(_)

Years ago. Black Lagoon Reality. Inside Chang's Tower.

Boris was sitting in a chair in the doctor office, as the doctor sat across from him.

The doctor was telling Boris things in such medically technical terms, that he was not sure what the doctor was saying.

Boris thought, 'This is follow up to a routine check up that Chang instituted for all employees. One of the more saner things he has done. So, why is this doctor going on and another something concerning me.'

Boris asked, in english, “What does this all mean?”

The doctor said, in english, “You have cancer.”

Boris reaction to the news was resolve. He thought, with concern, 'I always figured I would not die of old age. But, given the life I had lead, I figured I would die of violence. Still, this not the end of the world. I am still healthy, and in good shape. Meaning the cancer has likely been caught early. Which increases my chances that my cancer is treatable, and I can make the cancer go into remission.'

Boris inquired, “What are my treatment options?”

The doctor said, in a sober tone of voice, “Not many. The good news is that we caught it early. That is the only good news for you. You have an acute form of cancer. This means it has a quick onset, and will kill you swiftly. If you had a chronic form, we could successfully treat you, and probably give you several years, if not decades, in remission. As it stands, most treatments will buy you a few months, to a year.”

Boris guessed, “And in the end, before I die on my deathbed, I would end up a living skeleton?”

The doctor answered, “In not so many words. Yes.”

Boris flatly stated, “I am not going that way. What are my other options?”

The doctor stated, “As you know, Chang has been having his organization search for technology and knowledge from across the multiverse. That is common knowledge for anyone living in the Tower. A couple of months ago, Chang's organization discovered some medication, from another reality, that will slow any cancer down to a crawl. You will stay mostly healthy, until the medication starts to lose its effectiveness.”

Boris questioned, “How long will this medication keep me alive?”

The doctor said, “It will take close to a decade before you body starts to build a tolerance for the medication. And when that happens, the cancer is going to come back quickly. You will likely be dead within a month. The dosage is one pill a day. You don't even have to take it with food, nor water. If you don't want too.”

Boris asked, “What are the side effects?”

The doctor smiled, “None. And you do not have to up the dosage by more than a pill a day. From the information we have. When a single pill a day no longer works, upping the dosage will not buy you more time.”

Boris thought, 'Either way, the medication will give me time. And I can search the multiverse for a cure.'

Boris responded, “I understand. Do you have any medication on hand?”

The doctor stated, “Yes. My nurse will give you a bottle, as you check out. And I wrote on that piece of paper, for the nurse to provide you with a list of realities that have this medication, and what the chemical name for it is.”

Boris requested, “Could I also have a file on the type of cancer I have?”

The doctor responded, “Sure. The receptionist will give the documents.”

The doctor pulled out a note pad, and he began writing on it, in english.

A minute later, the doctor then tore of the sheet of paper and handed it to Boris, as he said, “Here is what you need. This has the name of the cancer. The request for your documents. Your medical script for the medication, and the information on where to get information at.”

Boris took the piece of paper. Next, he got up from his chair. He said, “Thank you, doctor. I appreciate the information.”

The doctor got up from his chair, as he replied, “No problem. Keep in mind that you still have time, and Chang's organization is making new discoveries everyday. Time is currently on your side. Don't waste it.”

Boris smiled, as he said, “Don't worry. I won't.” He then opened the office door, and exited into the hallway, as he headed for the front of the office.

A few minutes later, Boris was at the front receptionist’s desk, retrieving what he needed.

Boris folded the documents of sheets of paper, on his cancer, and new medication. He put the sheets of paper in his left pants pocket. Then, with his right hand, he grabbed the bottle of pills from the nearby counter. Next, he turned and exited the doctor's office for the outside balcony, in the atrium.

As Boris stood on the second story balcony, looking out on the atrium, he thought, with bittersweet emotion, 'At least I still have plenty of time to do what I need to do. And to do what needs to be done.'

Boris then looked down at the bottle of pills in his right hand. He opened the bottle and took a pill out. After he closed the bottle, he dry swallowed the pill without a problem.

Boris pocketed the medication, as he silently prayed, 'I hope the doctor is right about no side effects from the medication.'

Just then, Boris noticed one of his subordinates, in combat fatigues, approached him, from his left side.

Boris turned to him, just in time for the man to come to a stop in front of him.

The man then saluted Boris, which Boris saluted back.

After both of them dropped their salutes, the man addressed Boris, in russian, “Sergeant. There is a matter that we must discuss with you in private. Sir. If you will please follow me.”

Boris' only reply was to nodded in confirmation that he understood what his subordinate had requested of him.

The man turned around, and started walking, with Boris following behind him.

Boris immediately forget his own worries, and personal problems, as he followed the man elsewhere, deeper into the tower, and away from the atrium they had just been in.

(_)

In the present, on an alternate Earth, in the living room of the condo, Boris concludes his story, “And you two know the rest of the story.”

Ed said, “Ed is sad that you are so sick, Boris.”

Boris replied, “At the moment. It is not that bad. I am just tired. I am not in pain.”

Bob stated, “That is comforting to know. And that is quite a story. Is there anything we can do for you?”

Boris said, “Yes. I think I need to head to bed. And after the day we have had, I believe I may not have the strength to get up from the couch.”

Ed and Bob approached Boris.

Bob stated, “Don't worry. We will help you to your bed.”

Ed and Bob then helped Boris up off the couch and to the bed in his new bedroom.

A few minutes later, Boris was in his bed, and in his sleeping clothing. Bob and Ed already had replaced the sheets in their three bedroom, with fresh sheets.

As Boris was laying on his bed, in the hallway outside of Boris' bedroom, Ed and Bob where standing next to each other. They had left Boris' bedroom door open, in case Boris needed anything.

In hallway, Ed whispered, “What are we going to do?”

Bob softly replied, “I have an idea.”

From his bedroom, Boris overheard them. He said, “You know I am still awake, and I can hear you. If you want to talk about me. Do so in my presence.”

Bob and Ed looked at each other. Bob shrugged.

The two of them then walked into Boris' bedroom.

A few seconds later, they came to a stop at the foot of the bed, as they faced Boris.

Ed turned to Bob, as she inquired, “Ed asks, what is your idea, Bob?”

Bob looked at both Ed and Boris, as he stated, “My plan is that I travel into the multiverse, and I search for a cure for Boris, here.”

Boris said, “As I said before. I have already looked a cure.”

Bob pointed out, “Boris, don't this the wrong way. But, given you upbringing in Soviet Russian, your knowledge of of pop-culture is limited. On the other hand, I made a career of selling such fiction. There are places in the multiverse that I know of, that you likely do not.”

Ed questioned, “What are you saying?”

Bob answered, “Ed, what I am saying is. Boris here is going to give me all the information he has on his cancer, and his medication. Then, I am going out, alone, into the multiverse, to find him a cure.”

Boris asked, with concern in his tone of voice, “Do you have any idea what you are saying, Bob?”

Bob responded, in a sober tone of voice, “Yes. It is going to be a long road for me. But, for you two, it will be five to ten minutes.”

Ed stated, “Ed, will come with you.”

Bob said, “Ed, I would love to have you. But, if I don't come back before Boris starts to get worse. I am going to need you to come up with a Plan B. And as you do so, you can help take care of Boris.”

Ed replied, “Ed understands.” She then pulled out the small reality device from one of her front pants pocket. She handed it to him, as she stated, “Ed hopes you do not have to test out the new bio-sensors I installed in the reality device, from studying Boris' broken reality device.”

Bob took gently took the device, from Ed's hands, and he put the device into his right pants pocket. He responded, “I also hope not. By the way, have you repaired Boris' reality device, yet?”

Ed answered, “Not yet. It will probably be another month for before repairs on that reality device are completed.”

Bob stated, “Okay. After we have two working reality devices, it will make things easier for us. And I know that you will not be stranded here.”

Ed asked, “Ed agrees. Do you remember how to repair the reality device?”

Bob said, “Yes. I will put the small, spare tool kit, we have for such repairs, in one of my coat pockets.”

Ed replied, “Good.”

Bob turned to Boris, as he requested, “Boris, you mentioned documents on your disease and the medication you take.”

Boris stated, “They folded up in my duffel bag. In a side pocket.”

Bob walked over to the duffel bag in the bedroom. He leaned down and he checked the side pockets of the bag.

Bob quickly found the folded sheets of paper.

Bob stood back up. He then unfolded the papers, he read some of the sheets. He then looked up at Boris, as he asked, “Is there anything else I need to know, Boris? About your cancer? Or, the pills you are taking for it?”

Boris said, “No. It is all there in those papers.”

Bob stated, “Good. Because buddy, I going to find a cure for your cancer. And when I get back, you will be well, very soon.”

Boris responded, “Bob, your concern is touching. There is other item. When I was working under Chang, going from reality to reality, we found that tracking of those that travel between realities is not foolproof. That spacial events that tear into reality, that are constantly there, block a traveler's signal, when they jump to the nearby area of the tear.”

“There is one place I know of that should provide you with a safe haven, from Revy, Shenhua, Sawyer, Rock, and anyone else the may come looking for you. That location is Deep Space Nine, in the Star Trek reality. The wormhole next to the spacestation blocks our tracking equipment.”

“And I know for a fact that only a few people learned of this information. And the members of the Hell Sabers did not know this. So, you should be safe there.”

Bob said, “Thank you for the information, Boris. I figure going right after the series should be okay.” He thought, 'Though, I can guess that you kept information from us, so we would not be tempted to go there. Because, if the hate got to hot, we would have a place to flee too.'

Boris responded, “I think so too. And good luck. You're going to need it.”

Bob thought, 'Annie said the same thing, earlier. And I think you are both right.' He replied, “Thank you.”

Ed walked over to Bob. She used her hands to bring Bob's face down to where she could kissing him deeply.

Bob returned Ed's kiss for several seconds.

After the broke their kiss, Ed quietly said, “Be careful.”

Bob warmly smiled towards Ed, as he replied, “I will.”

Bob then turned and left the room. He soon made it to his bedroom. When he got there, he neatly put the papers, he had from Boris, that were in his hands, into a brown lather satchel he had.

Bob then pulled out a compass, and a few other items, from his luggage. With him putting those items into the satchel. He set the satchel on the bed. Next, he pulled out his reality device, and set it by the satchel on his bed.

Bob then went to get cleaned up, ready, and dressed.

(_)

Half an hour later, Bob had finished getting cleaned up. He was presently getting dressed in his bedroom.

After getting on his white underwear, and white socks, he put on his brown button up shirt. Next, was his brown pants, brown leather belt, black boots.

He then put his folded up knife in the inside of his right boot. After that, he put on his vial necklace with martian souls. He strapped on his gunbelt, with his loaded revolver in its holster.

Bob then grabbed his brown long coat and put it on. After which, her put on his sunglasses.

Bob put his loaded speedloaders, some boxes of three fifty-seven magnum bullets, a small tool kit for his reality device, and a small first aid kit he had on hand, into some of his coat pockets.

Next, he picked up his new, brown, cowboy hat, as he thought, 'This hat is a nice birthday gift from Ed. I got her a nice gift on her birthday, as well. Ed thought I looked so much like a cowboy in my outfit, that I needed t cowboy hat to go with my outfit. I had to agree. I just didn't use it earlier today, because I didn't feel like wearing such a nice hat for such a simple chore.'

Bob looked over at his gym bag, as he mentally reflected, 'I am going to be moving to fast. To too many places, to haul it around. I can get what I need. If I have too, I can beg, barter, or steal, what I need. As long as I do it in a way that does not come back to bite me. I already have some ideas one how to deal with my ammo shortage, and a few other things.'

Bob grabbed his leather satchel, and he put the cord of the leather satchel over his left shoulder, to carry, as he set the satchel by the right side of his waist.

Finally, Bob grabbed the reality travel decide from his bed, he walked outside, into the sunset sky.

Bob left the door unlocked, as he gently closed the door behind himself.

Bob walked onto the small lawn in front of the condo. He held the reality jumping device in his right hand, he stared into the distance sky in front of him.

He said out loud, “Alright multiverse. Let's dance.”

Bob thought of a reality, place, and time. He held that thought, as he pressed the red press the button on the reality device, and he instantly teleported to another reality.

(_)

Bob, “Unlike Boris, I have a firm grasp of what is out here. And I will search the ends of the multiverse for a cure to help, Boris. There will be no limits to where I will look.”

(_)

“Science Fiction.”

In the Farscape reality, inside a space station, Bob met with a Diagnosan.

(_)

“Fantasy.”

Bob walked through the main mithril and steel gates of the White City of Minas Tirith, and onto the white marble streets of the city.

Bob noticed the trees and a few fountains to the sides of the streets, as he walked passed the people, horses, and carts.

(_)

As Bob traveled, from reality to reality, he stopped shaving and getting his hair cut. And his hair grew longer, as he grew out a full, black, bushy beard.

(_)

“Wuxia.”

Bob walked through a bamboo forest, as he came across a monkey wearing clothing, whom was holding a staff.

(_)

“Nothing will stop me.”

(_)

Bob climbed a mountain. When he reached the plateau, something large flew over him, casting a large shadow over Bob and the plateau.

The creature then swiftly landed in front of Bob.

It was a dragon.

Bob pulled out his modified peacemaker revolver, as he smirked at the dragon.

To be continued.

(_)

Author's Notes:

I like how the beginning scenes of this chapter, between Bob and Annie, turned out. This might be the only time, someone thanks the force user, for choosing to choke them. And for that person to sincerely mean their statement, in a grateful way.

I also got the chance for some serious character development with Annie. By digging into the psyche and past of Annie/Anakin/Vader. And there is a lot of stuff that most people do not realize.

Such as due to the combination of the Jedi not allowing romantic social development, and Padme was the only relatively young, female friend that Anakin had.

So, was the relation that developed between Anakin and Padme, really romance, or infatuation on Anakin's part. Given Padme's political upbringing, and responsibilities of being a young political leader, similar arguments could be made for her.

And Anakin was not the most emotionally mature person at the time.

Then, Anakin lost his mother, lost his right hand, and was thrown into a wartime situation, where, for him, it was kill, or be killed. In such a situation. I believed that Anakin married Padme to maintain his sanity. More than anything else. With Padme being his anchor, that kept him from going insane.

Bob's journey will take him to many interesting places. I will touch on some of those places. But, I do have limits, and I cannot show everything that happens to Bob, during his solo journey into the multiverse.

I gave some cameos of a few of the places that Bob has visited, to give you readers an idea of where he had traveled too. I hope you enjoyed those cameos.

Of course, it takes courage to challenge the multiverse, like Bob did, right before he started his journey. And you are going to finally see the change from Bob the student, to Bob the badass.

With that change being apparent in the next chapter.

Until next time. Have fun.

up
68 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

the problem i see with Bob

the problem i see with Bob leaving Ed ther while he goes searching is he will age while she won't because he will come back to essentially the same place in time

Exactly.

While that is a problem. The main point is to find a cure for Boris. And Bob is willing to lose a few years, doing just that. If things go as Bob planned, he will returned around the same place and time. If things don't go as planned. And Bob does not come back. Ed is with Boris. She has to come up with two plans. One to save Boris, and one to find Bob.

And Bob is sure that Ed has the skills and abilities to do so. As the old saying goes. Always have a plan B.

That is the thinking behind Bob's plan.

Thank you for your reviews.