You Saved Me! part 2 of 2

Printer-friendly version


You saved me!


(a Gaby fanfic)
part 2 of 2
by Jennifer Sue

Based on the story Gaby, Book # 4 - Once Upon A Time In America By Maddy Bell
With some bits borrowed from Rhod’s Trip to America by Joni W. and Drew’s Meltdown by Kate Hart
Some Characters portrayed in the story are copywrited to Maddy Bell for her Gaby series found at Maddybell.com


{:-(

Erin was pleasantly surprised during the first week of March to receive a call from Dave Edmunds, the lawyer handling the trust. Leroy was tied up in business dealings and couldn’t get away but promised that as soon as he could he’d come to visit Jaden. Dave explained he’d made discreet inquiries at AHS noting Erin’s concerns for Jaden might be well founded. He promised that action was being taken to help the boy but all the i’s had to be dotted and the t’s crossed or the Reeds would make the boy’s life worse.

That same day Jayleen was pissed and worried when she received a call from the lawyer saying it’d been a while since Jaden had been interviewed by the trust. The lawyer informed Jayleen he would be picking Jaden up this coming Saturday March 6th for a full day session which would include a physical.

When Jaden arrived home Jayleen stopped him before he could reach his bedroom. Obediently he stopped and faced her.

“The lawyer is comin fer ya Saturday fer a interview,” Jayleen frowned. “Ya bettr tell ‘im everythin is okay, unnerstand?”

The deadpan expression on Jaden’s face never changed. There wasn’t even a flicker in his eyes. Just as he’d done for the last six weeks he didn’t respond.

“Go to your damn room,” Jayleen finally ordered out of frustration.

Johnny Walker added his warning to Jayleen’s when Jaden headed for his room after finishing the supper dishes. Both adults were quite concerned that Jaden would tell all.

The lawyer, Dave Edmunds, arrived at 9am on Saturday morning to pick up Jaden. Jaden didn’t respond to his greeting, merely going to the passenger side of his BMW and buckling himself into the seat. Dave sighed heavily. As he feared, it seemed the boy had been severely traumatized. As they drove to Harrisonburg, despite repeated efforts to try to engage the morose lad in conversation the boy remained mute simply staring out the front windshield. When they arrived at the Valley Children’s Clinic Dave was more than a bit spooked as Jaden silently followed him inside. Throughout the registration process Jaden kept his eyes focused on the floor.

A nurse led them to an exam room where she checked Jaden’s weight, height, blood pressure and temperature. She frowned and looked at Dave as the boy remained unresponsive to her medical queries about medications or symptoms.

“I’ve already discussed things with Dr. Wilson,” Dave sighed.

“You can sit down now,” the nurse told the sullen boy who did as she directed.

A few minutes after the nurse left, Dr. Maggie Wilson entered the room. “Hello Jaden,” she greeted him with a smile. “I’m Dr. Maggie Wilson. Please call me Dr. Maggie. Now, I understand you’re not talking, is that right?”

Jaden simply looked directly into Dr. Maggie’s eyes with an unwavering sad gaze. In her heart Maggie wanted to cry but managed to keep her professional demeanor.

“He’s been like that since I first saw him when I picked him up,” Dave spoke softly.

“Okay Jaden,” Maggie softly instructed her patient as she nodded her head to acknowledge Dave’s comment. “Please stand and remove your shirt so I can start checking you.”

Without comment or a facial reaction Jaden’s eyes looked to the floor as he removed his sweatshirt, carefully folding it neatly before draping it gently across the back of the seat he’d just vacated. Then he did the same thing with his t-shirt. Then he stood quietly facing Dr. Maggie.

Dave drew in a sharp breath and Maggie had to make an effort not to do the same when they saw the chilling evidence of the beating the boy had obviously endured. The two exchanged glances of revulsion and anger that anyone could have done such a viscous thing to another human being.

“Dave, could you please step outside and contact CPS,” Dr. Maggie ordered the lawyer before turning her attention to Jaden.

“Jaden, we’re not going to allow you to go back to your mother,” Dr. Maggie declared in a firm but gentle and caring voice. “We’ll see to it no one ever beats you again!”

Jaden raised his eyes from the floor to intently look into Dr. Maggie’s eyes to see if she spoke the truth. Dr. Maggie later swore it was as if his gaze was penetrating into the depths of her very soul to determine if she was being honest.

“Jaden, I’m on your side too,” Dave vehemently declared as he stood to follow the directions he’d been given. “If you cooperate with us, there will be two people sitting in jail tonight!”

Jaden’s eyes flickered to Dave’s, then his carefully erected and maintained facade began to crumble. Wetness began to seep from his eyes and the corners of his mouth began to tremble. As the first tear ran down his cheeks he drew in a huge drought of breath. With the exhale his knees sagged and deep heart wrenching yet nearly silent sobs erupted from his lips.

Dave sprang to the wilting boy and guided his sagging body to the seat. Maggie stepped to him and pulled his head to her cradling it protectively as the boy totally broke down.

An hour later a county detective sat with a note pad while an officer from the county Child Protective Services videoed the still all too visible evidence of the horrific strapping Jaden had endured 6 weeks previously. With time and careful treatments there would be little scaring other than the uneven tanning of the damaged flesh which would forever reveal the welted mosaic. Jaden’s soft testimony of the absurd reason for the beating, the hellacious event itself, the one time first aid, and the dire warning chilled the men.

A very tearful Erin sat with Dave in Dr. Maggie’s office as they explained what they’d discovered as well as what was happening in the exam room with the detective and CPS officer.

“My God, I’d never have called Jayleen if I’d known Jaden was going to be brutalized,” Erin sobbed as Dave comforted her. “I was only trying to bring some hope and happiness into his life!”

“I understand. This morning when I first saw him I barely recognized him as the concerned caring boy who was trying to help Gaby after she’d passed out and crashed,” Dr. Maggie sighed.

When the detective and CPS officer completed their initial interview and investigation, they spoke with the Erin about her involvement. Then they asked Erin, Dave, and Dr. Maggie to accompany Jaden to the county courthouse.

By 1pm the recording was being viewed by an assistant DA and a judge from the family court as Jaden sat with Erin who had an arm about his shoulders promising him she’d do all she could to keep him from being hurt again. The four were asked into the judge’s chambers where they were interrogated. Dave explained Jaden’s unusual parental situation which Jaden was able to confirm. The dual status of his grandfather as both the father and grandfather of his half-brothers was also revealed.

“Your honor, I’ve been in touch with Leroy Blount, the boy’s father,” Dave said after the initial decision to remove Jaden from his home was made. “I called him when I saw how Jaden had been beaten. He’s making arrangements to fly into Dulles as quickly as he can. However he’s living and working in England so it could be well over twenty four hours before he can get here. Leroy is aware that Erin’s attempt to help his son instigated an act of abuse but holds no grudge against her. They were classmates at Augusta High School and knows she’s a kind hearted woman. He’s asked, if Erin is willing and the court’s agree, to temporarily release Jaden into Erin’s custody until he can get here. I know it’s an unusual request but under the circumstances, and I’m sure Dr. Wilson will agree, it’ll be better for Jaden to be with someone he knows.”

The judge granted Erin a forty eight hour custodial period for Jaden pending the arrival of his father. The DA asked for and received warrants for the arrest of Jayleen and Johnny Walker, authorized the CPS to assume custody of Jaden’s four half-brothers as well as issuing warrants authorizing DNA sampling of the entire family to determine if Johnny Walker was indeed the boys’ father and grandfather.

Arrangements were made for a strike force to move in to make the arrests with CPS taking custody of the four boys. The sun was just dipping behind the mountains as four police cars silently pulled into the cul-de-sac followed by a van from CPS. The officers left their patrol cars and surrounded the property. A county detective and a police sergeant went to the front door and knocked.

The family was encamped about the TV watching the college basketball playoffs. The youngest, 9 year old Bud Wiser, was delegated the task of answering the door. “Shit,” Bud loudly exclaimed after opening the door. “It’s the cops!” With that he tore through the living room and down the hall to his bedroom.

The detective and sergeant entered through the open door and identified themselves.

Jayleen sent the other boys to their rooms as Johnny Walker shut off the TV. ”What the hell you want? Did that no good lying little twerp get himself into trouble?”

Needless to say Jayleen and Johnny Walker were surprised they were being arrested on charges of child abuse, threatening a minor, intimidating a witness and criminal assault. As the furious handcuffed duo was escorted out to patrol cars, the people from CPS entered the home to take custody of the boys. Each was given a large tote bag and told to pack enough clothes to last a few days. While the CPS staff was overseeing the packing, Erin pulled up to the mobile home. With Dave at her side they escorted Jaden into the home to retrieve his belongs. As they were being escorted out Johnny Walker Junior stopped with his brothers to peer into Jaden’s bedroom. The younger brothers piled up behind him to look at their older half-sibling.

“Thanks a lot, bro,” Johnny Walker Jr. snarled. “You had to go squeal your head off about gettin whipped, didn’t ya? Now we’re gonna be put in foster homes!”

“You boys saw Jaden getting beaten and didn’t do anything to stop it?” Erin asked in astonishment.

“Yeah, we saw dad whipping him,” Bud Wiser answered. “We always thought Jaden was a sissy wimp but he proved us wrong that night! I still don’t know how he kept himself from crying out! Dad whipped him until he passed out. It was a good thing he was tied on top of the table or he would’ve fell off. None of us thought he was tough enough to take it.”

“That’s quite interesting,” the lead CHS person stated. “Adds a bit more to the story.”

“Boys, just so you know, Jaden didn’t tell us a thing,” Dave declared. “In fact, he wouldn’t say a word. When the doctor saw the strap marks on his back, we knew he’d been severely beaten. It was only after we knew he’d been abused that he said anything.”

“You’ll be better off in foster care,” Jaden spoke softly. “You know he smacked all of us around. You know he enjoyed whipping me but I frustrated him by staying quiet. How long do you think it’d be until he started whipping your butts?”

The boys fell silent. The adults could see they agreed with Jaden’s comment.

An hour later Erin was securing Jaden’s bike to the rack on the back of her pickup. As Erin and Jaden climbed into the cab to head to Erin’s home, Dave caught a ride back to Harrisonburg to get his car. On the way home Erin stopped at the Subway just off I81 at Weyers Cave. For the first time he could recall Jaden slept without fear.

For the first time since the fiasco of the phone call to Jayleen, Erin fell into a deep slumber. She knew there were issues to be resolved but if Leroy was coming back to Grottoes, there was cause for hope. Sunday morning after a hearty breakfast, she was pleasantly surprised when Jaden insisted on cleaning up. After that they headed out for a bike ride.

As they rode they talked of cycling. Jaden pumped Erin for every bit of information about Gaby as well as his father. After arriving home Erin dug out her highschool yearbook and showed Jaden the photos of his father. Then they settled down to watch the Star Wars Trilogy since Jaden had never seen the series. They called out for pizza at the end of the first part. As bed time approached Jaden became anxious about meeting his father the next day. That night Jaden had dreams that he was Luke, Johnny Walker was the evil emperor and his Dad was Darth Vader who shed his dark side to save his son in his hour of need.


(:-o

Leroy Blount sat beside his wife of two years, Lauren, in the business section of the Boeing 757-200 as they flew west over the Atlantic. Sheffield born Lauren was 5 months pregnant with their first child. Leroy had explained about his love child in the States when their relationship became serious. Lauren had been urging him to at least meet the boy ever since. Leroy knew he should do so but stubbornly pushed it off. The memories of his last year living in Grottoes was not one he wished to recall. Then came the message from Dave Edmunds about the concerns Erin had expressed for his son. Leroy explained to Lauren that Erin was a classmate from his school days and he had briefly dated her when they were juniors. Lauren urged him to make arrangements to visit to see the situation for himself. Then the forwarded pleading letter from Jaden had arrived.

Lauren broke down in tears learning that the boy thought he was transgendered. “Leroy, enough is enough,” she’d scolded him. “Whether or not he’s transgendered, he’s still your child! My God, just think how horrific his life must be living with those redneck louts! Obviously he’s hurting badly, probably near suicidal, for him to write such a desperate plea to the ONLY person who can help hi... her! If you treat you first born this way, how will you treat OUR child?”

Leroy caved and began making arrangements to visit during the Easter holidays. The Saturday phone call that Jaden had been physically abused and Jayleen and her father/husband were going to be arrested stunned him. Even though he knew the situation couldn’t be good, he had never thought it could lead to his son being beaten to the point where the authorities intervened.

Needless to say Lauren, emotionally wired because of her pregnancy and the accompanying hormones, had unleashed all over Leroy. Leroy called his manager, who had been made aware of the Easter plans to visit his son in the states, to ask for emergency leave. The leave was granted so by 3 Sunday afternoon they boarded the plane for the trip to the USA and Dulles.

Leroy was nervous as they went through customs and retrieved their luggage. It was a bit after 8pm when they rented a minivan and headed to the Washington-Dulles Hampton Inn four miles south of the airport to spend the night. The entire time he berated himself. The son he’d hadn’t seen since he was a toddler, and then only for brief periods a few times a year, needed him. Guilt tore at him as he wondered why he’d been so cowardly. Learning that Jaden had been severely beaten ate at his soul. By comparison the fact the boy felt he was transgendered was virtually immaterial. It was past time to own up to his past failures.

Lauren knew exactly what was going through Leroy’s thoughts. Over the years in their many discussions about Jaden she had learned of the trickery used to ensnare Leroy and his escape. Those memories were unpalatable for the man and had formed a wall that had taken a tragedy to tear down. Once the decision had been made to make this rush trip, Lauren had been nothing but supportive of her husband. There had never been a doubt in her mind that Leroy was a good and caring man.

After getting into their room Leroy called Dave Edmunds to let him know they had arrived and ask him to see if he could expedite a passport or travel papers for Jaden so they could take him back to England. Then he called Erin.

Erin was delighted to hear Leroy’s voice and had no objection about discussing Jaden and their plans on speaker phone so Lauren could be readily involved. Leroy and Lauren were pleased to learn Jaden had a good day and was looking forward to meeting his father and step mother. They all took as a good sign that Jaden had fallen asleep shortly after going to bed. Both could not get done thanking Erin for all she’d done for Jaden. Between them it was decided to keep Jaden home from school.

After enjoying the continental breakfast, the anxious couple checked out and headed to Grottoes. The one hundred fifteen mile trip took two and a half hours. Leroy was nervous as he pulled into the driveway of Erin’s home a few minutes before 11:30am. They were heading up the sidewalk when the door opened and Erin stepped out onto her front porch with her arm wrapped around the shoulders of a thin long haired boy.

Jaden shivered as he saw his dad, barely noticing the pretty woman who stood beside him except to note she looked pregnant. Leroy froze in mid-step as he saw his son, guilt nearly overwhelming him. The two looked at each other for several long moments.

“Jaden, I’m your step-mother Lauren,” she smilingly declared breaking the stalemate. “I’m delighted to finally meet you and want to heartily welcome you to our family. If you feel up to it, I’d simply love a hug!” With that she held out her arms invitingly.

Jaden looked at her. She was quite pretty. The offered hug looked genuine and part of him wanted to rush to her, but years of distrust prevented him from doing so.

That is until Erin slipped her arm off his shoulders and pushed his butt in Lauren’s direction. “Go, Jaden. You KNOW you want to hug her. I can’t think of a better initial meeting!”

Jaden almost stumbled down the three steps, momentarily hesitating as he questioned his action, then threw caution to the wind and rushed forward to accept the proffered hug. As their arms wrapped around each other tears began flowing down Jaden’s cheeks. The hug was real! This woman was really glad to meet him!

Leroy stood there like a statue, frozen by his guilt as he watched his wife and son hug. However when Lauren released one arm and spread it to him, he stepped into the hug and wrapped an arm around Lauren and the other around Jaden.

Jaden was soaking up the hug and a twinge of fear reared it’s ugly head when he felt an arm leave the loving embrace. Then he felt a second body press against him, promptly felt a different arm wrap around him pulling him not only closer to Lauren but into the new arrival. Looking up he saw it was his father. Pulling the arm trapped inside the three way hug Jaden placed it around his dad... HIS DAD! The youth broke down in tears of happiness as his parents hugged him protectively.

Jaden was still sniffling as he walked arm in arm between his parents as they entered Erin’s home. Erin directed them to the sofa where the three could sit together with Jaden safely in the middle. After asking if they preferred coffee or tea Erin gave the new family a few moments of alone time while she went to prepare the drinks.

Leroy promptly began apologizing for his inexcusable absence from Jaden’s life while adding that never again would he be abandoned. Jaden lovingly cuddled into the strength of his father. Lauren hugged both while kissing Jaden’s head.

By the time Erin returned with the beverages, all three were smiling. “I have to leave to open my bike shop,” Erin explained. “I usually open at 10am but asked a neighbor to put up a sign I’d be opening at 1pm today. You’re more than welcome to stay and get acquainted. Jaden already knows where the drinks are kept if you want more. The only thing scheduled is a 4:00 appointment with Dr. Maggie Wilson. She’d like to go over Jaden’s health with you. When you leave, just be sure to lock the door. I close at 6 so if you like, stop in the shop a bit before then and we’ll plan what to do for supper. If you want to eat alone, that’s fine, but I’d like to know what’s going on since all his things are here.”

“We can’t thank you enough for what you’ve done for Jaden,” Leroy said. “We won’t impose your hospitality too much. Is Jack’s Diner still open? We’ll probably head there for lunch. And we’ll be at your shop before you close. I’d like to take you and Dave Edmunds some place special but I’ve been away too long so if you can make reservations I’d appreciate it. Just let Dave know to meet us there AND don’t go worrying about the cost. I assure you we can afford it.”

“If you have a significant other you’d like to invite your more than welcome to do so,” Lauren added.

“Jack’s is still there,” Erin chuckled. “Hasn’t changed much except Jack has a lot more grey hair. It’s still a popular hang out for teens. As for a significant other, thanks to Jaden I DO have a boyfriend.”

“Me?” Jaden asked in confusion. “How did I get you a boyfriend?”

“When you brought the bank manager to the shop to pay for your bike,” Erin smiled. “Alec and I hit it off and we’ve been dating for three years now! Since I don’t bank with StellarOne, I’d never have met him otherwise! Heck, I’ve even gotten him back into cycling. Occasionally he joins us for our Saturday morning rides but unfortunately he usually has to be at the bank. Leroy, when you stop by my shop I’ll show you my life’s work.”

“Dad, Erin’s Cyclery is the best bike shop ever,” Jaden enthused. “The bike I got there is used but it’s a beauty! I love riding! I’d like to get into racing cycles too!”

“When we get you home to Creswell, there’s a cycle club just three miles down the road in Cuckney,” Lauren smiled.

“Cuckney! Drew Bond rides the ten mile time trial there,” Jaden exclaimed excited. “That’s near Church Warsop where Drew lives!”

“Yes, Church Warsop is less than two miles past Cuckney,” Lauren said as she looked strangely at Jaden. “How do you know about Cuckney and Drew Bond?”

“Drew was here as an exchange student for six weeks in January and February,” Jaden explained. “He’s the under sixteen British cycling champ as well as Hill Climb Champ! His mom is Jenny Bond, the Women’s word Cycling Champ and winner of the Tour de Feminin! Erin loaned Drew a bike while he was here. I rode with Drew twice before...” with that his face fell and shiver went through him.

“The second ride was where I asked Jaden if he’d like to join the Grottoes Express, the club I ride with,” Erin sighed. “I called Jayleen to get her permission... that’s what set her off and led to the beating. God I’m so sorry, Jaden!”

“It wasn’t your fault, Erin,” Jaden answered softly. “It got me away from them and with my dad and Lauren!”

Hugs were exchanged by all. Erin left for the shop while Jaden insisted on cleaning up the cups. Then they climbed into the minivan and headed to Jack’s Diner.

As they pulled up Leroy smiled. “This place hasn’t changed, at least on the outside. Let’s head inside. I could use a bit of Jack’s greasy but delicious fare!”

Once inside Leroy stopped and looked around, smiling to see the pool tables were still there. “I spent hours playing pool with my buddies,” he informed them.

“Menus are on the tables, you can sit anywhere, just pick a table or booth,” a gruff grey haired older man said from behind the counter. “Someone will be by shortly to take your orders.”

“Damn Jack, you haven’t changed a bit,” Leroy chuckled as he smiled at the man.

Jack frowned as he looked at Leroy, then his face lit up as he scurried from behind the counter to shake Leroy’s hand. “Tarnation! Leroy Blount! Best football player this old town ever put out! It’s good to see you back in town! What brings you back to town?” You could suddenly see his face crash. “Oh damn... sorry Leroy, I shudda known better.” Then his eyes fell on Jaden. “Son, I’m sorry for what you had to go through. I’ve thrown that no good grandpa of your’s out of here so often... makes me wish I would have kicked his ass a hell of a lot harder than I did. Look, you sit down, pick anything on the menu. It’s on the house!”

“Thank’s Jack, but I can pay,” Leroy tried to turn down the offer.

“This is my place and if I say it’s on the house, it’s on the house,” Jack growled while smiling. “Just tip the waitress!”

Lauren stopped Leroy from arguing. “Thank you Mr. Jack. We’ll be sure to be generous.”

Jack smiled broadly. “English, huh, like those cute kids we had here on the exchange. Leroy, you be sure to treat this here English Rose right! Ma’am, if he don’t just let me know. I may be old but I can still kick ass!”

Soon they were seated in a booth perusing the menu. A waitress took their order and Jack told some tales from his youth that happened in the diner. After their food was served, they dug in. Lauren enjoyed the Virginia ham, grits, sweet potatoes and hush puppies.

“Jaden, I read the letter you wrote,” Lauren began between bites.

Jaden sucked in a deep breathe and froze.

“Relax, it’s okay,” Lauren smiled. “YOU are a part of OUR family. It doesn’t matter if you’re our son or daughter, as long as it’s YOUR choice.”

Jaden smiled nervously but hopefully and looked at his father for confirmation.

“She’s speaking for both of us,” Leroy assured the youth with a smile of support. “We can see you are a caring and loving individual. You’ll make a wonderful older sibling for your baby brother.” With that he reached over and patted Lauren’s slightly swollen tummy.

We want to help you find your way,” Lauren smiled. “Can you tell us why you feel you’re transgendered?”

“I’ve never fit in as a boy,” Jaden began. “Johnny Walker expected me to like the same stuff he did but I never did. He’d get angry with me and kept telling me I was Goddamn sissy. My four three-quarters brothers are just as redneck good old boys as Johnny Walker. I hated being taken to the races and sports games and fishing and all that stuff. Ma never went with us cause Johnny Walker said we were doing guy stuff women just didn’t get. Then a couple of years ago I figured out if I started helping ma around the house, she’d let me stay home instead of going with them. That sorta backfired a bit since once she knew I was willing to do the housework, she dumped it all on me so she could just sit around watching TV, drinking beer and smoking. I didn’t mind too much since it got me away from Johnny Walker and he let me do it since he didn’t have to, as he often said, drag my sissy ass all over the place. Heck, ma even turned the screws on Johnny Walker and my brothers to stop hassling me so I could do her work. For the last couple of years I’ve been doing all the laundry, cleaning, and most of the cooking. It’s not really all that bad since I sorta enjoy doing those things and it makes me feel good that I’m accomplishing something.”

Leroy and Lauren both frowned every time he mentioned Johnny Walker calling him a sissy.

“Just because you like taking care of the house and cooking doesn’t mean you’re transgendered,” Lauren stated.

“I know, until the exchange program, I just assumed Johnny Walker was right and I was a sissy,” Jaden answered. “Then I learned about Gaby.”

Lauren and Leroy exchanged looks of confusion before Leroy asked, “Who’s Gaby?”

“Gaby is Drew... Drew Bond,” Jaden smiled. “One of the girls in my homeroom was part of the exchange and they went to England first. When she got back she kept going on to her friends about how cool her host student, Gaby was. Then I heard her say she was the under sixteen British cycling champ. I was amazed a thirteen year old could be the under sixteen champ so I started researching it. I found out Drew Bond was the champ, not this Gaby Brit was talking about. At first I just wrote it off to Brit being Brit since she has a tendency to exaggerate. But the Champ Drew was my age so I search some more and found out his mom was Jenny Bond and she had two children, an older daughter named Juliet and a son, Drew. But I also found references to a daughter Gaby. Checking out Gaby I found she was thirteen too and had won some races and was in a lot of photos with her mom. What was strange was in the photos of Jenny with her kids, Juliet was occasionally pictured but most were with Gaby while NONE were with Drew. Then I found an interview Jenny did with Cycling Weekly where the reporter spoke to Juliet, Gaby, and Drew! I figured something was screwy and after a lot more searching couldn’t find anything firm. Then when the British exchange students arrived, it was Gaby who came into our room with her American host, Brit. Gaby was a cute girl, a bit shy but definitely a girl. Then the teacher introduced her to the class as DREW Bond who preferred to be called Gaby! I knew then that Gaby and Drew were the same person and thought she must be transgendered. I really watched her closely and she was all girl. There wasn’t the slightest hint she was a boy. That’s when I began wondering if I was transgendered so I looked that up online. Everything I found fit me. I never identified as a boy. I hated being forced to behave like a boy. I never felt right about myself, I knew something was way off but never knew what until I discovered Gaby!”

“Well, that makes sense,” Leroy nodded. “Back when I lived here this area was pretty intolerant of anything other than straight heterosexuals. While things might have gotten better I don’t think being LGBT is still accepted.”

“It’s changing,” Jaden answered. “But it’s still got a LONG way to go!”

“Did you and Gaby get along,” Lauren asked.

“We seemed to sorta hit it off but she was too shy and I was too scared to really talk,” Jaden replied. “But can she ride! She blew everyone away in the two rides I rode with the group. After I got beaten I wasn’t allowed to ride anywhere but to school or the Food Lion. Socially I just shut down. I didn’t speak to anyone about anything until the Doctor Maggie found the marks on my back from the beating. I did keep track of Gaby though. Her last weekend here she went with the Grottoes Express to Atlanta to ride in the Winter Classic. She placed beat the entire team and stayed up with Lance Armstrong and the pros to finish in the top fifteen! Man, can she ride!”

“Maybe you’ll be able to get to know her better in England,” Lauren smiled. “Of course, you may meet Drew. She may not be fully out over there.”

“I don’t think she is,” Jaden sighed. “When Erin and I went riding yesterday I asked her about Gaby’s dual life and she explained that Drew doesn’t want to be a girl but keeps getting into situations where he has to pretend to be a girl. When Brit and her friends were in Warsop, they got their hosts interested in cheerleading and Drew joined the Sherwood Forresters as Gaby. During the exchange the Forresters were scheduled to attend a cheer competition with the AHS Cheerleaders. That meant that Gaby had to spend the entire 6 week trip as a girl! The Forresters even won the competition for their category! In the entire time they were here Gaby was a girl and no one suspected that she was really a boy.”

“It sounds like Drew lives an interesting and confusing life,” Leroy shook his head in wonder. “As for you, we’ll have to get you professionally evaluated to see if you are indeed transgendered. If we can do so quickly, you’ll be joining us in Creswell as our daughter.”

Jaden’s face lit up as he blinked back tears of happiness. “Thanks,” was all he managed to eek out of his emotion wrought voice.

When the meal was over they left a generous tip and exchanged hugs with Jack. Then they made a tour of the area. They stopped by Leroy’s childhood home, drove past AHS, then into the Jollett Springs Mobile Home Park to see where Jaden had grown up. That sight made them all shudder.

“Jaden, I’m so damn sorry I let you suffer here for so long,” Leroy declared as he manfully choked back tears.

“It’s okay dad,” Jaden smiled moved by the sincerity of the apology. “Ma wouldn’t have let you take me if you’d come before. She had full custody and liked the support payments too much to give them up. The only way for me to get away from her was for her to get arrested for abusing me.”

As they drove to Harrisonburg for the doctor appointment Leroy’s phone rang. It was Dave Edmunds with a bit of bad news that Leroy decided to temporarily withhold.

It was bit before 4 when they registered in the waiting room to see Dr. Maggie. At the appointed time Dr. Maggie came out for them. In an exam room she showed Leroy and Lauren the injuries Jaden had endured. Lauren gasped and began to cry while Leroy grew angry.

“I hope I never see that bastard or Jayleen because I’m afraid I’d strangle them,” he growled. “Jaden, I promise never to abandon you again!”

After redressing, they headed into Dr. Maggie’s office for a consult.

“Dr. Maggie, before we start I’ve got to tell Jaden some news that will effect what we’re about to discuss,” Leroy sighed. “Jaden, I have a bit of bad news but it won’t change the fact you’ll be joining us in England. I found out on the way here that it’ll take at least two weeks until we can take you with us to England. It’ll take that long to get you a passport.”

“Oh,” Jaden responded clearly upset. “Will you be staying with me?”

“Lauren and I haven’t had a chance to discuss it so we’ll have to work it out,” Leroy answered. “But we will make sure you’re safe!”

Jaden bravely nodded his head.

“Dr. Maggie, Jaden has told us he feels he’s transgendered,” Leroy said as he turned to face her. “We will fully support Jaden if he is transgendered. Can you or is there anyone you can recommend who could assist with an official diagnosis and report while we wait for the passport?”

“I’ve attended some seminars and have done enough reading to be aware that Gender Identity Disorder is real,” Dr. Maggie admitted. “However, I’m not qualified to make a diagnosis. However I know another doctor, a psychiatrist with whom I attended med school at Georgetown. Dr. Karen Page chaired a symposium on gender issues at a medical conference I’d attended last year. With my recommendation and the urgency involved I’m sure she’ll make arrangements to make her expert advice easily accessible. Let me call her now.”

Dr. Maggie made the call while the Blounts waited. After a quick overview of the abuse and internationality of the situation, Dr. Page asked if the family could make it to Georgetown Medical Center in DC where she had her patient offices and served as a professor by 9 the next morning. The Blounts promptly agreed.

Leroy and Lauren thanked Dr. Maggie for all she’d done and promised to stay in touch. Then they headed out for Erin’s Cyclery. As they drove Lauren used Leroy’s NEC 3G phone via Mapquest to figure out travel route and time to DC. Revealed was a no traffic time of two and a quarter hours. To be safe Leroy decided to utilize a three and a half hour travel window which meant they’d have to leave Grottoes by 5:30 Tuesday morning.

They arrived at the bike shop twenty minutes before closing. Jaden’s eyes glowed as he finally had time to really check out the shop. Leroy and Lauren were quite impressed with the selection as well as Erin’s obvious knowledge. As they looked around Leroy explained about the need for an early start to DC for a meeting. Knowing they’d driven straight to her home that morning Erin insisted Leroy and Lauren stay with her at least overnight so they could get an early start.

A quarter hour after Erin locked the door at 6pm a man knocked on the door. Peering out Erin smiled. “It’s Alec. I’ll let him in.”

“Hi Mr. Wagner,” Jaden greeted the man after Erin introduced Leroy and Lauren.

Since he had a minivan Leroy offered to drive everyone to the restaurant for their 7pm reservation. After they parked They headed into Grace House Restaurant meeting Dave Edmunds in the waiting area. Soon they were seated at a table exchanging small talk after Leroy thanked the others for all they’d done for Jaden as they perused the menu.

“This place is expensive,” Jaden whispered. “I’ve never been in a place this fancy. Johnny Walker always said places for this was for the snobs and rich as... ah... people.”

“Nice catch,” Erin giggled.

Once the food was delivered Leroy looked at Jaden. “Jaden, do you think we can trust these people?”

Jaden looked confused for a moment, blanched a bit, then drew in a deep breath. “Yes sir. I trust them. But this is my issue and I need to own it so I’d like to tell them.”

“Just let me know if you’d like me to step in,” Leroy proudly gave him the okay to proceed.

By this time everyone was concerned.

“I’ve never fit in with my family and really no where else either but never knew why,” Jaden began softly. “I was never very social and pretty much kept to myself. In fact I had no friends. After I was beaten I completely stopped talking. I did what I had to do and really began to think about myself, what I had to look forward too and what I wanted. At first I had little hope and really thought about suicide. But then that’d be letting my ma and Johnny Walker win and I didn’t want that. I did a lot of soul searching and online research. I figured out what why I didn’t fit. I’m transgendered... I’m a girl trapped in a boy’s body and life. Dave, that letter you forwarded to dad for me was asking dad for help because I knew I couldn’t get any at home.”

Oh wow,” Erin gasped. “Jaden, I’m so sorry... then I put you through that hell...”

“No you didn’t, Erin,” Jaden smiled. “It was because of what happened that I’m going to be getting help!”

“Lauren and I will fully support Jaden,” Leroy explained. “We told Dr. Maggie and she’s hooked us up with a gender specialist at Georgetown who agreed to see us tomorrow. If she can give Jaden a GID diagnosis, when Jaden settles with us in England, it will be as our daughter.”

Erin smiled. “Do you have a girl’s name picked out?”

“I’m used to being called Jaden so I thought I’d just drop the ‘N’ and be Jade, my middle name is L-E-E but I’d like to spell it L-E-I-G-H,” Jaden smiled when no one objected.

“Dave,” Leroy began. “You said you needed a current photo before you can apply for a passport. If Jade receives the GID diagnosis tomorrow, can we get her name and gender changed on her records before you file for the expedited passport?”

“I think the judge that handled Jaden’s abuse filing on Saturday would be willing to push through the paperwork since she’s a minor. I’ll prepare the filing tomorrow and if you get the diagnosis, we can see the judge Wednesday.”

The logistics of Jaden becoming Jade became the topic of conversation. Jade smiled throughout the meal. Erin insisted the Blounts stay with her until after seeing the lawyer.


{:-)

Jaden slept most of the trip to Georgetown Medical Center and they reached Dr. Page’s office at 8:30am allowing plenty of time to fill out the paperwork. After a brief interview with all three Blounts, Jaden was put before a computer to take a series of psychologic profile tests that could indicate a diagnosis of GID. By the time the three hour test was done, Jaden was mentally exhausted. After a short break for lunch, Dr. Page sat down for an intense one on one two hour interview using the test results as a guide. After another short break Dr. Page sat down with the Blounts.

“Please understand that I can not make a definitive diagnosis based on what we’ve done today,“ Dr Page began to see Jaden slump dejectedly. “However I am prepared to issue an affirmative initial diagnosis of GID. As such I recommend that JADE begin RLT as soon as practical.”

Lauren and Leroy exchanged looks of confusion before Lauren asked, “What’s RTL?”

Seeing Jade’s grin Dr. Page smiled. “Jade, would you like to tell them?”

“RTL means ‘real life test’,” Jade enthused. “It means I should start living as a girl as soon as practical to see if it’s a good fit!”

Lauren reached over to hug her effervescent new daughter and Leroy quickly joined in. During the trip back to Erin’s home they stopped at a Walmart. Jade was excited and terrified as Lauren led her into the girls department. Wisely, Jade didn’t want to go too girly preferring to ease gently into being a girl while still totally abandoning boyhood. It was a matter of holding jeans and tops against Jade to achieve a close match then into the dressing rooms to try them on. They left with two pair of jeans with embroidered flowers, three slip on tops, a pair of flats, some thin ankle socks, a three pack of pastel cotton regular cut panties, two padded AA training bras and a calf length nightgown. From the accessory area they selected some scrunchies for Jade’s long red hair. That evening when Jade undressed for bed she fervently hoped it would be the last time she ever had to wear boy clothes. Donning the night gown was her first step in being the girl she’d discovered herself to be. Looking at her reflection in a mirror she smiled. The girl who peered back at her was cute and quite passable. Jade smiled and told herself life as girl was going to be a lot better than the life she had.


{:-)

Dave met the Blounts in the courthouse lobby the next morning. After a brief discussion they headed to the holding area for those awaiting civil family court appearances. They were ushered into the judge’s courtroom right on time. Dave presented Dr. Page’s GID diagnosis as well as the formal request for full custody as well as for gender and name change. The last filing was dependant upon the approval of the others... Lauren was applying to adopt Jade.

The judge turned to Leroy. “Mr. Blount, before I process anything I’d like to know why you’ve absent from your child’s life.”

“I was too cowardly to face Jayleen and Johnny Walker Reed,” Leroy honestly confessed. Then he explained the drunken seduction, the coerced engagement, the pregnancy, the birth, the second pregnancy, the breaking of the engagement and Jayleen’s marriage. “I was immature and scared. While I was in college my parents made the support payments and took Jaden one weekend a month. I usually saw him then. Unfortunately they were killed in a car crash when Jaden was three and I was a senior at UVA. They had the foresight to establish a trust for Jaden which I oversaw. When I graduated I set about establishing myself in a career. The job took me to Europe working in offices in Rome, Bonn, Paris, and London, before finally settling into a permanent position in Sheffield, Great Britain where I am now the assistant manager for the Pricewaterhouse Coopers office. I married Lauren two years ago and we recently bought a home. We’ll be expecting our first... no... second child in June.”

“I like an honest man, Mr. Blount,” the judge smiled. “Mrs. Blount, how do you feel about your husband’s love child?”

“Leroy told me about Jaden when we began getting serious,” Lauren replied. “I asked him then why he wasn’t involved and received the same reply you did. I could tell he was ashamed of his dereliction of duty and began urging him to do the right thing. I never let up urging him. The in January we heard from Mr. Edmunds that there was cause for concern about Jaden. Since I was pregnant I asked Leroy if he intended to abandon our child like he did Jaden. Then we received a forwarded letter from Jaden stating he felt he was transgendered and asking for our help. We made arrangements to come here over Easter week. On Saturday when we received the call that Jaden had been beaten we packed and left. We met Jaden Monday, had him to the gender specialist yesterday, and we’re here today. Jade is a part of OUR family. I have no doubt she’ll make a tremendous big sister. As you can see we’ve already begun her RLT. As soon as we get your approval we’ll be able to get a passport and bring her home with us to England.”

The judge nodded his head and smiled, then perused the forms he’d been presented. After a few minutes he looked up. “Miss Blount, you’ve heard what’s been stated. Do you want to be placed in the custody of your father?”

“Yes sir,” Jade replied firmly.

“Do you want your gender changed to female?”

“Yes sir,” she replied with conviction.

“Do you want your name changed to Jade Leigh Blount from Jaden Lee Blount?”

“Yes sir,” she answered with conviction.

“Very well then,” the judge nodded. “I’ll approve ALL the applications provided you accept the last. Do you agree to be adopted by Lauren to be your legal mother?”

Jade’s eyes opened wide and her mouth formed an ‘O’. She had not been aware of that request. With a look of hopefulness she looked to Lauren.

Lauren smiled and held out her arms.

Jade broke into sobs and flung herself into Laurens arms burying her face in her new mother’s chest.

“I suppose I can take that as a yes,” the judge chuckled. “All petitions are hereby approved and will be registered this afternoon. Your notarized copies can be picked up first thing tomorrow morning. Before we adjourn I have a few questions for the three of you. Jayleen Reed has pled guilty to one charge of child abuse and in return for five years of probation is willing to give up all legal rights to Jade. Do you have any objections to that plea?”

“We have to let that up to Jade,” Leroy said after exchanging glances with Lauren.

Jade thought for a moment before speaking. “Will she get my brothers back? And if so will she be monitored on how she treats them?”

“Once she successfully completes a court ordered program in Staunton at the Virginia Center for Family Relations she will regain custody,” the judge answered. “There will be monthly evaluations for the first year and if there are no major issues quarterly thereafter.”

“Then I have no objections,” Jade answered.

“I’m pleased you’re being so mature about this,” the judge smiled. “Now we come to a harder case. Johnny Walker has plead not guilty to child abuse for beating you. We rushed DNA testing and have established that he is your grandfather and the father of your half brothers. We are in the process of filing charges of incest, statutory rape and corrupting the morals of a minor because your birth mother was underage the age of consent when the older two were conceived. If this goes to trial, we’ll need your testimony at the trial. Are you willing to do so?”

“It depends,” Jade hedged. “If you charge Johnny Walker with statuary rape, won’t you have to charge my daddy too?”

“That possibility was investigated at the time,” the judge answered. “The investigation revealed Jayleen seduced your dad at the urging of her mother. Since your daddy promptly took responsibility as well as proposed, the mitigating circumstances warranted no charge be filed.”

“In that case, I most certainly agree to testify,” Jade didn’t hesitate to reply.

“I hoped you’d agree,” the judge smiled.

“Your honor,” Leroy spoke up. “Since we’ll be living in Great Britain by that time, could her testimony be done via closed circuit TV allowing cross examination?”

“I don’t see a problem with that,” the judge said. “We’ll present the recorded testimony we made for the arrests. We’ll specify that if the defense wants to cross exam the witness we’ll do so by live closed circuit TV.”

“Thank you, your honor,” Leroy smiled.

“Thank you,” the judge answered. “Young lady, I sincerely hope your life will be happier.”

“I’m it sure it will, your honor,” Jade smiled back.

An hour later the Blounts and Dave arrived at Erin’s Cyclery. All it took was seeing Jade’s face to know things had gone well. A brief discussion was held on what was to happen until Jade’s passport came through.

“I need to get back to my job so unfortunately I can’t stay,” Leroy sadly confessed.

“Since I’m now legally Jade’s mother I can and will stay,” Lauren declared. “We’ll just have to figure out where.”

“You most certainly will not,” Erin replied as if she was offended. “You’ll stay with me! There have been no issues so far and I don’t foresee any coming up.”

“Erin, we appreciate all you’ve done for Jade and us but...” Leroy began before being bluntly cut off.

“Leroy Blount, we’ve known each other since kindergarten,” Erin scolded. “I know you don’t blame me a bit but it was because of me Jaden was beaten. Please let me do this to appease my guilt!”

“Okay Erin,” Lauren giggled. “But as long as we stay, we’ll be paying for the groceries and such! Understood?”

Erin smiled and nodded. Then Dave called AHS and set up a meeting with Principal Roberts and Mary Jones to discuss Jaden.

Forty five minutes later Leroy, Lauren, Jade, and Dave were seated in a conference room with the principal and counselor. The administrators were surprised to see Jaden dressed as a girl. Dave quickly updated them on Jade’s situation.

“Since it will be at least two weeks until Jade will receive her passport, we think it would be best if she were tutored rather than returning here,” he summarized. “What’s a coincidence is that the Blounts live less than five miles from Warsop so Jade will be enrolling in the same school as the British exchange students. We don’t see that as a problem since the only exchange student who knew Jaden was Gaby Bond. Until he was beaten Jaden rode two of the Saturday morning Grottoes Express excursions with Miss Bond. The pair discovered they had a lot of shared interests including cycling and Jade doesn’t think there will be any issues in Gaby accepting her. Leroy will be contacting the school to arrange the records transfer. I’ll get a copy of the judges name and gender change orders to you tomorrow so you can change Jade’s records so there should be no issues in that regard. Jade and her newly adopted mother will be staying with Erin Brown until such time as the passport arrives. We’d greatly appreciate it if you can please have the name of a discrete suitable tutor by noon tomorrow.”

With the presentation of the preliminary legal documents and the promise of the registered documents the next day the duo could only agree to accommodate the request.


{:-)

The next two and a half weeks were the happiest Jade could remember. The tutor was a retired teacher who had no issues with Jade being transgender. Each weekday morning was spent wrapping up Jade’s lessons. Like many British teens, Lauren was no stranger to cycling. Borrowing one of Erin’s bikes, she joined Jade for, weather permitting, an afternoon ride usually ending at Erin’s Cyclery. Jade and Lauren joined the Grottoes Express for the next two Saturday rallies. The other cyclists openly and warmly welcomed the mother daughter duo.

Finally the passport arrived. Dave and Alec bid Jade goodby with warm hugs, Erin with a warm hug and tears. The trip to England was one of excitement and mystery for Jade. Other than the trip to Georgetown Medical Center she’d never been outside of Virginia much less ever on a plane. Dulles was simultaneously a wonder and intimidating. Passing through security proved anxiety inducing but went flawlessly. Boarding the big jet she saw the crowded seats in the general section and was glad to be in the roomier business section. The liftoff was exciting and she couldn’t get done peering out the window until they passed above the clouds. The nearly eight hour flight took off at 6pm Friday and with the time and day change landed at 6:30am on Saturday, March 27 at Heathrow outside of London.

Passing through British security went smoothly and nearly an hour later Jade ran squealing with delight to her greet her daddy! The trip home to Creswell was mesmerizing for the excited girl. When they pulled up to the home Jade was delighted with the comfy single home with attached garage. While they were in the USA Lauren had wisely gone to Ikea’s online British site and together with Jade had selected the furnishings for her bedroom. As a dutiful dad, Leroy took care of the rest. Tired from the flight, Jade spent the day slowly familiarizing herself with her new home even meeting their friendly neighbors. They smiled at her lilting Southern accent while she marveled at their quaint British accent.

Sunday Jade woke up refreshed. After breakfast Leroy explained she was enrolled in school and would be starting tomorrow. On the agenda for the day was getting her the required school uniform. They headed into Mansfield to accomplish the shopping. Needless to say the skirted uniform was not the only clothing purchased. Her wardrobe had remained limited due to luggage concerns. They were all weary by the time they returned home.

As she had requested, Leroy had found the Bond’s phone number so a bit after six Jade called.

“The Bonds, this is Jenny speaking,” the phone was answered on the fourth ring.

“Hello Mrs. Bond. My name is Jade Blount. I rode bike with Gaby when she was in Grottoes and I was wondering if I could please speak with her. Oh... I’m also a great fan of yours!”

“Thank you Jade,” Jenny answered as she wondered why the girl was calling. “Gaby’s in her room at the moment. Please hang on while I get her.”

Jenny placed the phone down and went up to Drew’s bedroom. After a brief knock and the ‘come in’ Jenny poked her head inside. “Drew, a Jade Blount from Grottoes is on the phone and would like to talk to Gaby.”

“Jaden,” Drew perked up. “We rode together with the Grottoes Express! He only knows me as Gaby. I’ll be right down!”

“Hello Jaden, this is Dr... Gaby,” he said as he picked up the phone a few moments later. “This is a nice surprise. After the way you avoided me after my accident I never expected to here from you again.”

“Gaby, your accident had nothing to do with me avoiding you.” Jade said. “After your crash, I was really worried about you... you see... even before you arrived in Grottoes I’d discovered your dual identity. I knew about Drew... and Erin had figured out I knew. So after the crash when I was so worried about you she explained why you were being Gaby as we rode back to Grottoes.”

“Oh,” Drew caught his breath and blushed worried that his secret was out.

“No one else knows and I’ve kept your secret,” Jade reassured him. “After we talked about you Erin invited me to join the Express. I was thrilled but the following Wednesday when she called my mother to get permission she flipped out. When I got home from school I was sent to my room and when my grandfather got home...” Jade had to stop to take deep breath.

Drew instantly knew something bad was coming.

“My family... my grandfather is the father of my four half brothers. My mom is his daughter. Let’s just say we make trailer park trash look good. Anyway, they called me out and chewed me out for being above them and putting on airs, then they stripped me and tied me face down on the table and he whipped me with his belt until I passed out.”

“Oh God Jaden,” Drew gasped near tears. “I’m so sorry!”

“That’s why I stopped talking and going to Erin’s,” Jade softly said. “But it worked out for the best.”

“How,” Drew asked mystified.

“I never fit in with my family or at school,” Jade answered. “I was too different. It was while I was in a deep funk and self isolated that I thought about my life. Unintentionally, you saved me.”

“I saved you? How?” Drew asked bewildered by the story.

“I’ve got to back up a bit,” Jade said. “When Britney Waters came back from her exchange she couldn’t get done talking about how great her host Gaby was. Then she said Gaby was the under sixteen British cycling champ. Since biking was the only thing I liked I decided to research Gaby online. That’s when I found out a boy, Drew was the champ. So I dug deeper and over several weeks I figured out that Gaby and Drew were the same person. I didn’t know how to take that. Then when you arrived I saw that Gaby was a cute girl. I know now you don’t like to hear that, Erin told me. But before that I figured you were transgendered and using the exchange to try out being Gaby full time. Then when we got together riding I really began to like you as a friend. Then came my beating and that ended. Anyway, while I was brooding I kept thinking about what I’d learned about being transgendered while I’d researched you. Slowly it dawned on me that the reason I didn’t fit in was that I’m transgendered!”

“Oh wow,” Drew gasped. “I’m glad I helped you... even if I didn’t know about it.”

“You sure have helped,” Jade exclaimed. “My dad was never around because he was too intimidated by my grandfather but he did pay support. So I wrote him a letter explaining I was transgender and asking him to rescue me. And he did! A bit less than three weeks ago he was given custody of me, he had me see a specialist who diagnosed my GID, we got my name and gender changed, and as of Saturday I’ve moved in with him and his wife who has adopted me. I’m living as a girl and my name is now Jade. I start at my new school tomorrow! And it’s all thanks to you!”

“Wow, “I’m happy for you,” Drew smiled glad that things worked out for his cycling friend.

“Thank you, Drew,” Jade said. “I do need one favor from you though.”

“Sure, I’ll do what I can,” Drew smiled.

“Well,” Jade whined a nervously. “I found out my dad is and assistant manager in an office in Sheffield and I’m now living in Creswell. My dad was going to enroll me at Creswell College but I asked if I could go to your school. I’m starting at Warsop School tomorrow.”

“WHAT!” Drew exclaimed. “You’re living in England now! In Creswell! And you’ll be starting school in Warsop!”

Hearing Drew’s exclamation Jenny came into the room.

“Yeah... I hope you’re not upset,” Jade said apologetically as her voice began to tremble. “You don’t have to be my friend or anything... I wouldn’t want to impose... but because I was so quiet and kept to myself you’re the only one of the exchange students who knew me as a boy. All I’m asking is that you keep my past as a boy secret. Please?” The last was said with sniffles.

“Jade, of course I’ll keep the fact you were born a boy a secret,” Drew in typical Drewbie caring for others reassured Jade. “I’ll be your friend too and introduce you to the gang. Hey, we have a big Easter dance coming up on Friday and we all go in costume. It’s a bit late but tomorrow we’ll see if we can get you a costume so you can attend with the rest of us!”

“Really,” Jade cried happily. “Oh Drew... you’re the best!”

“I wouldn’t go that far,” Drew demurred. “I just hope you’ll be in my classes.”

“So do I,” Jade answered happily. “So do I.”

“Jade, I think it’s best if I told my mom about you,” Drew said as he looked at his mother. “I talked about Jaden riding with me in Grottoes. Considering my dual life, she’ll be cool with it.”

“I trust your judgement, Drew,” Jade answered.

“Cool, well, I’ll see you tomorrow then,” Drew declared in an upbeat tone as he smiled at his mother’s raised eyebrows. “Good night, Jade.”

“Good night, Drew,” Jade smiled into the phone as she hung up.

“Jade... I thought you were talking to Jaden in America,” Jenny declared clearly baffled. “I’ll be cool with what? And just how will you see Jade tomorrow?”

Drew then explained the bizarre and ironic circumstances of Jade becoming a classmate at Warsop School.

Leroy and Lauren accompanied Jade to Warsop School the next morning, meeting in Mr. Woods office to discuss accommodational logistics of being transgendered. Not that he wasn’t open and supportive of the transgendered, Mr Woods was beginning to wonder what the world was coming to. First it was Drew/Gaby, then Rhod/Mfanwy, and now Jade from the States. Well, they were all good kids and he intended to keep them safe.

Jade felt the butterflies rioting in her tummy as she followed Mr. Woods to join her class. Since everyone was in class the click-clack of her shiny Mary Jane kickers on the tile floor echoed through the empty school halls. Her blue skirt swirled about her thighs five inches above the tops of her kneesox. The lace edging on the bottom hem of the half-slip she wore tickled her thighs. The white nylon front buttoning blouse hugged her slender torso highlighting her for now slightly padded bust. The short necktie was blue with diagonal stripes. The half length sleeves of the blouse ended in cuffs just above her elbows. With a suppressed nervous giggle she wondered how long it would take to grow accustomed to wearing a cute girls uniform.

Knocking on the classroom door, Mr. Woods entered after the teacher invited them in. “Class, we have a new student starting today,” Woody began. “She’s just moved in with her father and stepmother up in Creswell and ironically she comes from Grottoes, Virginia. She attended Augusta High School and saw all the exchange students. When you have a moment please give Jade Leigh Blount a warm Warsop greeting. Bernie, would you mind taking Jade under your wing to show her how things work here in Warsop School?”

“Yes sir,” Bernie smiled as she tried to place the anxious girl.

“Jade, it might be easier if you explained how you came to be here,” Mr. Woods smiles at her.

“I’m starting life over her in Great Britain,” Jade began. “In Augusta I lived with my mother, step-father and four half brothers in a mobile home. Other than myself, a picture of my family should be under the dictionary description of American redneck trailer park trash. I never fit in with my family and even at school stayed in the background. I had no friends and seldom spoke to anyone. I was good at fading into the background so most of you never noticed me. I was in the class with Drew Bond and Britney Waters. I love cycling and rode with Drew on two Saturday rallies so he’s the only one of the exchange group that I spoke to.”

“Midway through the third week of the exchange things at my home collapsed. As the oldest I was blamed,” Jade spoke softly as she struggled to retain control. “This part isn’t easy. I was stripped and tied face down on the diningroom table, my stepdad took off his belt and used it to whip me from my shoulders to my knees until I passed out.”

The entire class gasped and shuddered at the savage brutality.

“After that I shut down for a few weeks, going around silently like a zombie,” Jade explained. “I seriously thought about simply killing myself. Finally in desperation I wrote to my dad explaining if he didn’t rescue me I’d be dead in a few months.”

The class was paying close attention to every word Jade said. Her story was horrid yet fascinating.

“Dad works in Sheffield and when he got my letter he and my stepmom flew to the states,” Jade continued. “They took me to a doctor who six weeks after being belt whipped could still see evidence of the savagery I endured. My mom and stepdad were arrested and arrangements were made for me to move here. I want to forget my past and concentrate on my future. I’d greatly appreciate your friendship. Thank you.”

So began Jade’s first day. Bernie became her mentor and at lunch Drew properly introduced her to the gang.

“I can tell by your accent that you come from Virginia,” Ally said. “But if you attended AHS surely we would have seen you and recognized you.

“Jade, the gang knows about me and can be trusted,” Drew solemnly declared.

“What I’m about to tell you goes no further than this group,” Jade declared as she looked into the eyes of the gang. “Please promise you’ll keep my secret.”

“I’ve already promised when she called me last night,” Drew explained.

The others quickly promised to keep her secret.

“I attended AHS,” Jade sighed nervously. “I saw each of you. But like I said, I went out of my way to stay hidden in plain view. I had no friends because I avoided making friends. When Britney returned from her exchange all she could talk about were you guys, especially Gaby. I heard her say Gaby was the under sixteen bike champ so since I really like biking I looked things up on the internet. After tons of research I discovered Drew and Gaby were the same person. I had it figured out before you began your exchange. It’s thanks to Gaby that I’m here. You see, I was Jaden Blount then. I thought I was just a weird boy that didn’t fit in. When you guys arrived I thought my conclusion was wrong because, sorry Drew, but Gaby was a really cute girl. That confused me a bit so I researched being transgender. Later, after I was beaten I had a lot of time to think and I realized that I was transgendered. That’s what I wrote in my letter to my dad. I saw a well known gender therapist and was diagnosed as being GID. With the support of my dad and stepmom I’ve begun my RLT, real life test, to make sure being a girl is what I truly want. So I came to Great Britain as a girl and here I am.”

Needless to say the gang was surprised. Questions and comments flew back and forth for a few moments. Maddy decided Jade just had to attend the Easter dance that was to be held that Friday night.

“Most Mondays the gang gets together for a few hours at one of our homes,” Maddy explained. “We take turns hosting and tonight is my turn. Call home and ask if you can join us. If you can we can sort out a costume for the dance.”

Jade was clearly puzzled. “You have costumes at home?”

“Maddy goes to a lot of comic cons,” Drew explained. “She loves to dress up as various characters. I’ve attended a few with her and it is a lot of fun. So yeah, she has a lot of costumes.”

“Mom was going to pick me up after school so I’ll call now,” Jade said as she pulled her phone out.

By the time lunch ended, Jade had the okay from Lauren to join the gang as well as Maddy’s address and the time to pick her up. Jade was delighted as they all hit it off.

After school the gang walked to Chez Peters. The main topic was what the gang did such as shopping expeditions. Jade was introduced to Carol Peters, then promptly hustled up to Maddy’s room. Twenty minutes later Jade modeled the Sailor Moon outfit both Gaby and Maddy had worn to a con. She looked uber cute and simply loved the girlishness of the outfit.

That evening as she sat cuddled with her parents Jade couldn’t stop talking about how everyone welcomed and accepted her, especially the gang. While she had hoped moving to Creswell as a girl would be the start of a new, happier life, the reality far outshone her hopes. In addition to being accepted into the gang, Drew also helped her hook up with the local cycling scene. The only down side was learning that Drew and his family were preparing to move to Germany at the end of the school year. But the friendship would not be lost since Drew would still be periodically returning as part of the British Cycling junior development squad and would be accessible via e-mail.

ps: Jade made a fantastic big sister!

Thanks Gaby! You saved me!


{:-)

up
163 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A tribute to Maddy Bell

I've loved GABY since the first story. Gaby's stories are the first e-books I purchased.

I've wanted to do a fanfic for a long time but never found the right spark until this contest.

Maddy, if you approve of this story, please feel free to add it to your Fanfics when your new sight is up.

I'm so intrigued by Gaby's tale I'll be vacationing in Great Britain this summer and attending the July Gabicon.

Boys will be girls... if they're lucky!

Jennifer Sue

Jennifer Sue,

Jennifer Sue,
I really enjoy Maddy Bell's stories about Gaby/Drew and I found your story fits really neatly into her universe. You did an amazing job of bring a relatively new character into the story line. I do hope you will write more adventures about Jade and the gang, with maybe Gaby dropping by once in awhile.
Janice Lynn

My apologies to Maddy

My apologies to Maddy as I never read about Drew/ Gaby. Yet with Jaden /Jade I feel that a trip going through Maddy's stories are needed. But, back to Jade's story I can feel for her story and can quite HONESTLY say that these two chapters could be the lead in to a series of stories. I found them well written with characters with actual depth and a story line that flowed easy and was easy to follow. I only wish that I could give it more than one thumbs up! KUDOS!

ENJOYMENT

I have enjoyed "gaby" stories ever since I read the the first one. you have written a fine piece of gaby fanfiction. keep up the good work.
robert

001.JPG

Neatly fitted

Podracer's picture

indeed. I do like fanfics that dovetail properly with the original world, or at least enough to convince me that "Yeah, this could have happened without us noticing". I had to smile when the Blount's home address came up :)

"Reach for the sun."