Julina of Blackstone - 043 - Convoluted Creativity

Printer-friendly version

The trials themselves bring up some very strange tales and some strange conclusions

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles, Book 2

by Julia Phillips

043 – Convoluted Creativity


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
043 – Convoluted Creativity

Maker! He meant that I should also be locked up!

Mowlia’s face took on an evil grin as she flashed her triumph at me. At least she had stopped screeching.

It wouldn’t have taken much to make my temper flare once more. This certainly did it. I stood up angrily, only for a further father’s “Sit!” to force its way into the red mist.

Two officials approached us.

A man rushed up to the Count, his back to us most of the way. It was only as he turned and beckoned to one of us that I suddenly recognised him as Master Jalmond. Master Fedren went over to join him.

“My Lord, I beg of you to consider some facts before you send that other woman to the cells.”

“Master Jalmond?”

“My Lord, I must present Master Fedren. He …”

Their voices reduced such that we were unable to hear them but the conversation was quite long. At one point the Count raised the level as he exclaimed bitterly: “Blackstone? Again? Is there no rest from that wretched woman?” Then his voice level dropped once more and the conversation could only be followed by us by the body positions, gestures and facial expressions.

By this time, two officials were at my either side, ready to carry me off just like Mowlia. I felt my temper begin to rise once more. One of them reached out a hand and grasped my arm firmly. He began to pull on me. I snatched my arm back and moved away from him; all the while I had been quietly giving a hurried overview of the situation with Mowlia to my companions, and I was keeping an eye on the Count and Countess as well. They were still discussing matters with the Masters Jalmond and Fedren.

The second official had now reached me and taken my other arm. Papa was on his feet, prepared to do something, I know not what.

“Let's be having you then, woman. 'Twould be best to come quietly. The Count dislikes disturbances in his Hearing Hall.”

“Unhand my daughter this moment, you thug!”

Whilst this was all going on, I watched as the Countess Lasalenne tapped her husband on the shoulder and said something softly to him. His face took on a petulant scowl which reminded me of my younger siblings sometimes when they were going to do something they didn’t want to do.

Papa and Uncle had forcibly removed the officials hands from my arms, which left more bruises on my skin. A further row was brewing here when I stopped it by pointing wordlessly at the Count, making the officials look over there at their master.

The Count looked up, saw that the men on either side of me were watching him, and then waved them away, using a hand and arm gesture that showed how irritated he was.

We all sighed in relief as my freedom was once more not in doubt. The men turned away, the one on my right giving Papa a meaningful glance that showed an unwarranted degree of annoyance. Papa returned it. The two glared at each other, neither prepared to back down.

The moment was only broken by a formal announcement from a seated official off to the Count's right: “So, bring in the first prisoner. Silence in the Hearing Hall.”

… … …

We sat through two trials which were quick, but I think we were all shocked at the severity of the punishments meted out. And a little shocked at the cavalier manner in which the Count only seemed to listen to half what was said – and, truth be told, understand less than half of that half.

It soon became apparent that it was the Countess who demanded fuller explanations, and 'twas she who told the Count whether or not to find them guilty. She was a little worried, we all could see, at her husband’s choices of sentences. I realised with a shock that he was being vindictive simply because he was in a bad mood.

Then the third prisoner was dragged forwards. It was Brathan. Gone was the sneering arrogance of when I had first encountered him. His time in the cells had quite worn him down.

“Of what is this prisoner accused?”

“My Lord, the prisoner Brathan has stolen funds from the Miners' Guild, abusing his position of trust in their Dekarran Hall, he further stole a frayen from the Forest Roadhouse when ...”

“The Forest Roadhouse? Where is that?”

“'Tis the main stopping roadhouse on the way to and from Blackstone, My Lo...”

“Blackstone!” Everyone was taken aback by the way he almost spat the name. “Does everything revolve around Blackstone?”

“No My Lord; of course not. We here ...”

“So you want me to try someone for crimes in Dekarran and in Blackstone?” Again the last word was spat out venomously.

“My Lord! There are a number of factors ...”

The Count was about to interject once more, when the Countess rapped him on his forearm and shook her head. The petulant look reappeared but the Count sat back, waving his hand to encourage the speaker to continue.

“... that need to be considered here. First and foremost, the accused is alleged to have sold that stolen frayen here in Tranidor, which places that crime firmly in this town. Secondly, the Guilds have laid a warrant for his arrest ...”

The Count could not resist a bitter remark: “Are we then the lackeys of the Guilds, now?” This was followed swiftly by another rap on the arm from his wife. He subsided once again with bad grace. He simply said: “Do we have proof of him selling the stolen frayen?”

“Aye, My Lord. And we have his confession. We would ….”

“Then brand him and banish him!”

“My Lord! If I might finish?”

Another rap on the arm, another nod and a hand wave, followed by a muttered: “Get on with it then!”

“My Lord. I believe that we must also try him for his other crimes. A warrant has been issued nation-wide for his arrest and it must surely be to your ... to Tranidor's credit, that it was we who managed to apprehend the miscreant. The fact that the crimes were committed elsewhere becomes irrelevant, provided always that we can prove his guilt. And that we can - with signed and sworn affidavits from Guildmaster Horran, Steward Bleskin and others. There is also a specific command from Duke Gilbanar to spare no effort throughout his lands to eradicate such crimes. I'm sure we could gain much credit when it becomes known that we have been the instrument of ending this sorry tale.”

For the first time, the Count sat up straighter and almost preened.

“Then we must be sure to act accordingly. Is there any doubt as to his identity? Can we be sure that this is the same man?”

“We can, My Lord, as we can be certain that he did commit the crimes. We have full documentation of it all. I assure you that they are all in order, but we can go through them here if you so desire.”

“No, no, I believe you.” He turned to the prisoner. “Do you deny any of this, Brathan?”

“My Lord, I cannot.”

“Very well. Then all your belongings are forfeit, you shall have a single crown to take with you in your banishment, which shall be as soon as you have recovered from your branding and from the amputation of your hand. Whichever hand is your dominant one. You broke the laws of our land and for that you shall be forever regretful.”

He turned to the officials: “Take him away! And make the necessary arrangements.”

Those in our party looked at each other in some amazement. On one hand we were glad that the matter had been resolved so swiftly, and yet we were surprised that we had been requested to attend and not 'used' so to speak. As for the punishment, then I think we were also surprised that it was appropriate. Some of us had believed that he might even be put to death.

Whilst Brathan was being led away, and before the next prisoner was led in, the Count turned to Master Jalmond and asked: “So how did you manage to find this Brathan and arrest him?”

“It was the young woman you were about to send to the cells earlier, actually, My Lord.”

He started at that, and looked over at me. “And how did she achieve this feat when you and your men obviously failed?”

“She recognised him My Lord, and quite properly reported him to one of my senior men.”

“And how would such a young woman be able to first of all recognise him, and secondly know how to report such an occurrence to one of your men. What is this woman's name anyway?”

“Her name is Julina, My Lord. She was a guest of Mistress Megrozen at the time ...”

The Count visibly started at that statement.

“... along with some other visitors, one of whom was briefly seconded to my group at the time.”

“Mistress Megrozen, you say? She does keep good company!” I could see him reappraising me as he spoke. “I'm sure I have heard the name Julina before as well.”

“As we said earlier, My Lord, she has been requested to attend here, a journey and visit that will cost her at least a week away from her employment, just to bear witness in three of the trials today. The first was this Brathan, the second is the next one, that of the glass-master Bormio, and the final one for her is due in three or four trials time. The Salien matter.”

“No, I'm sure I remember the name from some other matter. Why so long away from her employment?”

“My Lord, she has attended us from Blackstone.”

The Count's scowl whipped back into place on hearing that word.

By then, Bormio was being led into the Hearing Hall, and that conversation stopped. But the Count kept glancing at me, with a frown on his face as events proceeded.

I noticed that Papa and Master Pocular shifted away a bit, and settled down two rows or so behind us, so that it was not obvious that they were with us. I thought it strange, but then I needed to concentrate on what was going on. I took out my block of paper and a reedlet from my carry bag, but dropped the reedlet on the floor by mistake. I leant down to retrieve it and thus missed seeing Bormio's entrance. Later, my companions told me he had closely scrutinised the people who were here as he walked in, and seemed to relax slightly after completing his scan.

When I was settled and ready, I listened in as the usual starting questions were asked. I needed to make a note of what Bormio said, in case he twisted the truth too much. He was introduced, he confirmed his name, he then denied he had done anything wrong. The Count asked him then why he thought he had been arrested.

“My Lord, might I be permitted to make a request before answering any more questions?”

There was a stir at this unusual reply, and the Countess shrugged slightly when her husband turned straight-away towards her.

“Be wary, prisoner. I will not tolerate anything that is off topic. It will be treated as harshly as any untruths that you utter in this Hall.”

“My Lord, I thank you for your consideration. I confess here and now to some errors of judgement that I made in this matter, but I believe there are some mitigating circumstances that made me make those few uncharacteristic mistakes. I do not wish to waste your very valuable time, so I beg your indulgence to first consider granting me a divorce.”

There was a loud intake of breath from the entire audience.

“I warned you about relevance!”

“My Lord, this IS relevant. For it was ultimately my wife's greed that made me err. Whichever way you decide the main matter here, My Lord, I no longer wish to be associated with that woman. Her jealousy, greed and grasping plots in the matter for which I am about to be tried, are the entire and only reasons for my downfall. I would have petitioned you by now, had I not been so unfairly incarcerated this past week or so. As a simple example of her concerns, I noticed that she is not present here. She forced me to do my actions, and I was foolish enough to obey her.”

I had turned round in surprise to look at my father, though I am forced to confess that I do not understand why that should have been so, so I missed any facial exchanges between Bormio and the Count. Asking later, my colleagues seemed to think that nothing significant passed in those few heartbeats.

“My Lord! I have reason to believe,” added Master Jalmond, “that the woman who created the fuss earlier is in fact the prisoner's wife.”

“Hah! Perhaps I understand a little more now. Her behaviour has landed her in my cells for a while. If that is what you have had to suffer, then I would be ALMOST prepared to grant you your freedom here and now. However, I must needs much more information before any divorce might be granted. So then man, tell me your tale.”

“One morning, My Lord, a young girl and several of her companions entered my shop in Cross Street on the North Side near to the Guard and Tax house by the Bray Bridge. My suspicions were immediately aroused since there must have been two hands or more of them. I knew they would try to steal some of my wares. They swooped around the wares on display in a bewildering series of moves which meant that no girl was in the same space as she had recently occupied. Despite all that, I managed to control them sufficiently that they realised they would have to regroup and return if they were to succeed in stealing any of my wares.”

Sookie sensed my once again increasing temper and hissed into my ear: “Is he lying?”

“Yes and no. Let us say it is a creative interpretation.”

“Then Julina you MUST NOT let him see your face. And you must let him lie himself deeper into trouble. Loosen your hair, keep your eyes down on your paper, and whatever you do do NOT REACT in any way.”

I realised that she was right, but I also realised that it would be most difficult to follow her advice.

“... they were then very clever. Rather than take and pay for anything, they decided to make multiple orders. An elder woman had joined them, obviously their ringleader, by then and she told them all to make orders to have them delivered to her home. With that, the entire party disappeared, and I fully expected never to see them again.”

“My Lord?”

“Master Jalmond?”

“Might I please ask for some clarification at this point?”

“If you feel it is necessary,” came the tetchy reply.

“Bormio, you stated that this party consisted entirely of females? With only one adult amongst them? Is that correct?”

“Indeed so, Master Jalmond.”

“Did you recognise this ring-leader woman as you described her.”

“I did not, Master.”

“And when she gave her address for the deliveries, did the name mean anything to you at all?”

“No, Master.”

“I see. And when all these females had departed, did you find any wares missing?”

“Not that evening, Master.”

“Thank you. That is all, for now.”

The Count looked at Jalmond quizzically.

Bormio decided to continue: “It was therefore, My Lord, something of a surprise when the entire party returned on the following day. They came up with a most excellent scheme this time. One that created a disturbance so that the pilfering went unnoticed on this occasion. They claimed, at least the leader of the young ones did, not the ring-leader herself, to have a unique piece of glassware that was protected by an Exclusivity Licence and that she was interested in allowing me to make it under licence. Of course, I knew immediately that such a young girl would never have had access to such a piece unless it was stolen.”

I heard an intake of breath from both Papa and Pocular behind me, but they had also realised that this man should be given enough chance to convict himself by his own words. My anger, always still simmering, was being tempered by the very cheek of the man, twisting events to his own purpose. I was in fact fascinated to see how he would explain away the house invasion.

“At this point, I regret, I failed to control my wife. She was not quite as wise to the ways of criminals as I was, and she rushed over to snatch the item from the miscreant. I am sure she intended merely to safeguard the item before its return to its rightful owner, but their suspicious behaviour had raised the prospect of our wares being stolen, so she mixed up her words and claimed that the item in question was her own. At this point, chaos ensued and my precious glass items were threatened by the unruly behaviour of this mob of robbers. I told them there and then that I would not be honouring their so-called orders from the night before and that they should leave my premises immediately. This they did, but they had made one important mistake. They forgot that I had an address for them.”

At this point, my indignation was vying with my desire to laugh. I had a certain sort of respect for Bormio, to have come up with such a story-teller's triumph.

“And so, My Lord, my wife and I – I regret ever listening to her at this moment – went down to the address given and asked for admittance. On the way, my wife told me that these girls had stolen at least two sets of ear-danglers, and that I should get those back and the special item which we would return after making enquiries at the Guild Hall to see if it did in fact have an Exclusivity Licence.

“When we arrived at the address, my wife refused to enter, saying that she would not set foot in a den of thieves. I knocked on the door and gained admittance. I was ushered into a waiting room where I waited for quite a while before I realised that they were probably hiding the evidence somewhere, so I rushed into their room, where the entire band were gathered, and surprised them in their nefarious activities.

“I saw the item, I went to grab it and the young girl leader protected it. She covered the item with her hand, I grabbed her hand to get at the item, she jerked her arm back and I was pulled forward into the side of the table, which struck my nose and rendered me unconscious for a short while.

“When I regained my wits, they had called the Watch and I was hauled off with no chance to explain. My wife followed the Watch dray and it was only then that she admitted there had been nothing stolen, she just wanted to make me mad enough to grab the item and take it to safety.

“Hence, My Lord, my unfair arrest and my request for a divorce.”

There was a complete and utter silence in the Hall after he finished.

I heard a sort of scrape behind me and turned to see Master Pocular rising to his feet. His bulk and his movement were impossible to ignore and the entire audience along with the Count and the Countess focussed upon him.

He made sure to use the power of his voice as he said: “My Lord. Might I be permitted to ask a question or two of the prisoner? I am also a Master in the Arts of the Glass, by name Pocular. We might that way determine more of this mysterious 'item' of which we have heard much, and indeed make a start at returning the item, if that is what should happen.”

The Count flicked a look at Master Jalmond before granting permission with a wave of his hand.

Master Pocular turned to address the prisoner: “Bormio, would you be so good as to describe to a fellow Master this 'item' of which you have made so much in your telling?”

He looked puzzled at this unexpected turn of events, thought rapidly and then, with a slightly less confident smile, replied: “But of course. It was a mirror made of glass, rather than the brushed metal that everyone shall recognise. Yes there are several of these plain glass mirrors now in Tranidor, but they have been designed to be mounted on a wall or on a frame, and are simply window panes specially processed. This was a simple hand-held version that the owner could keep in a carry bag, for example.”

“I see. And would you imagine that such an item would be a popular item to sell?”

“Why, yes, Pocular. I should imagine that nearly every family would want one.”

“When did you form that opinion, Bormio. Immediately you saw it, or only after further thought?”

Bormio started looking uncomfortable now. He didn't know which way to answer the question. “Er … relatively immediately I would say.”

There was then a gasp as Pocular took something from one of his capacious pockets. I knew immediately it must be a hand-mirror, and that the audience all immediately understood the value of it.

Peeking through my hair cascading across my face, I swear I saw Bormio pale.

“Like this, in fact. Is this the item you were talking about?”

“Well the surround was a different colour, as I recall, but yes, that was the item.”

Pocular turned to the Count and continued: “My Lord, I have here a paper copy of the Exclusivity Licence granted on this item. It is an authorised and attested copy issued by the Guildhall yestere'en. Shall you like to read it?”

“Very much so, Master Pocular.”

The paper was handed to an official who in turn took it to the Count. Both he and the Countess studied the paper together. The Count then announced: “This is indeed as Master Pocular said. The Guild seal is genuine. But it says here that you are only one half of the Licence holders. The other is a Master Kordulen?”

“That would be myself, My Lord,” came Papa's voice as he stood up next to Pocular.

“And why is this relevant right now, as regards Bormio?”

“My Lord, we despatched an agent to Tranidor tasked with finding a glass-smith to make these under licence here. Our agent first offered the deal to Master Bormio, who decided to get greedy for himself. If anything of that complete farrago of lies he has just uttered is true, then I suppose it is possible that his grasping wife wanted the revenue for themselves. Everyone in this room immediately grasped the significance of this 'item' as it has been called. But Bormio stated that he only 'relatively immediately' recognised its commercial value. A trained Glass Master only 'relatively' appreciated it, according to his own words. I find this statement to be dubious in the extreme.”

He fixed Bormio with steely eye as he continued: “My Lord, I have also copies of several semaphore sheets here, in which it is clearly stated that our agent first thought to check if the Exclusivity Licence had been granted before discussing it with anyone. You can see from the dates and times of the messages exactly when the information was sent. I would prefer that you keep the return address to ourselves for now, but I believe you shall be surprised.” He handed the documents to the official to take to the Count once more.

Again the two on the dais studied them together. They both gasped at the information.

Pocular then turned back to Bormio and pointedly asked him if this offer had indeed been made to him.

“Well, not exactly, no! The offer wasn't actually made when my wife tried to snatch the item. After that, the offer was refused to be made.”

“Thank you. Why did you omit that piece of information in your recital of events?”

“Well, the offer wasn't made. So I didn't mention it.”

“But the subject of the offer WAS introduced was it not?”

“Well, … er ... yes … I suppose it was.”

“Before or after your wife tried to grab the 'item'?”

Again Bormio was stuck not knowing which way to answer. Either way, his previous story was going to be shown to be wrong.

“Er … Before.”

“Now it was obviously impossible for me to be there at the time, since there were only women, but I venture to suggest that our agent told you of the rarity value of the mirror she had with you and that she would be prepared to show you it in return for certain guarantees?”

“Er … perhaps. I can't quite recall now.”

“You know who our agent was as you dealt with her, don't you? You used her name when you invaded that house and tried to abduct her, didn't you?”

A gasp ran round the Hall.

“I don't recall it now. Such a lot has happened since then.”

“Our agent,” said Papa heavily, “was my daughter. Would you like to meet her to jog your faulty memory? Julina my dear, why don't you stand up and tell the Hall how you made your offer to this man?”

I stood, as Bormio paled and swayed on his feet.

“My Lord, My Lady, this is what I said. I can remember the words almost exactly since I spent an age preparing them. I scarce slept a wink the night beforehand … ”

I closed my eyes and I recited: “Watch please, Master Bormio. And please remember that what you are about to see is a product, a glass product, that is under an Exclusivity Licence. I have chosen to demonstrate this product to you as I believe that we can do some business together. I am trusting you that you will not abuse this demonstration. This is the first one of these ever made in all of Alaesia so it is very, very precious. As soon as you see it, I am sure you shall understand its worth and indeed its manufacture. I repeat, this is already protected by an Exclusivity Licence. And I am the owner of it, and no-one touches it without my permission. Understood?”

I sat down again as soon as I had finished.

“Thank you Mistress Julina. My Lord,” continued Master Pocular, “I do not believe that these events fit very easily with the strange version that Bormio supplied. It is worth noticing also that the make-up of the group was not as Bormio described it. There were three mature women in the group and also some males. Master Jalmond has sworn and attested statements from all the adults in that group, and the events when Bormio invaded the house are very differently described. One of Master Jalmond's men was present throughout and his report is available should you require it. Even Bormio's own wife has signed a different version of events, this one no nearer the truth than her husband's. In that she admits that she and her husband knew the name of the house owner, and the so-called ring-leader. For it was none other than Mistress Megrozen.”

With that Master Pocular half bowed and retook his seat, even as an excited chatter and gasps ran round the Hall. Silence swiftly returned.

A few heartbeats went by before the Count addressed Bormio: “Well, Bormio. Your story appears not to fit the evidence. What have you to say?”

His voice was panicky as he gabbled out: “My Lord. I must throw myself upon your mercy. I must admit to trying to present the events in a way more favourable to myself than it was.”

“In other words, you lied. I warned you beforehand that the consequences would be dire. Master Jalmond, is there anything else we should know?”

“My Lord. The facts are simple. We have an established merchant in Tranidor, but one who has been reported to the Watch on several occasions for sharp practice. We have a Guilds representative here who shall confirm, if required, that the Guild have had several occasions on which they felt necessary to warn Master Bormio of activities which did not meet their entire approval.

“Several potential customers appeared in his shop and he was happy to deal with them as usual customers. The following day, one of those group offered him a chance to get rich, but he wanted more. He and his wife conspired to steal an item that was not theirs. They were foiled in their shop, but that was not enough for them. They invaded another citizen's house, refused to obey proper social customs and tried to drag a young woman from her dining table in an attempt to force her to assign a Production Licence to himself. His wife was not present at this incident; it is worth noting that she was in fact dismissed from the house, the house of a prominent citizen. She was dismissed, note; it was not the fact, that Bormio has claimed, that his wife would not set foot in that house.

“Worse indeed, is that all here are witnesses to the fact that Bormio has quite publicly now stated that Mistress Megrozen runs a 'den of thieves'. Mistress Megrozen already deserves compensation for the invasion, and for the costs of cleaning up after the invasion. Here is something else which should be added to the debt this man owes her.

“He resisted arrest and frightened several women in the process of his invasion. His arrogance and greed are what has brought him down. I have solid evidence of each and every step in this sorry tale, and confirm upon my oath as senior Watchman that Mistress Julina's and each and every other affidavit are true. Master Bormio's pathetic attempt to twist the facts to fit a highly convoluted tale of his own fervid imagination has also resulted in him telling a string of untruths, both directly and by implication, in this Hearing Hall. Despite clear and unambiguous warnings given him in advance of his tale.

“It is the stance of the Watch that this man be banished from our town, after making sufficient and proper reparations to the girl he attacked, Mistress Julina, and the woman he attacked by invading her home, Mistress Megrozen. He has shown only concern for his own well-being. He has not uttered one word of contrition to his victims in all this.”

“Well Bormio. What say you? Has Master Jalmond stated an accurate case?”

“My Lord, I regret that he has stated the case fairly and concisely. I see now how slowly and step by step I was led into ...”

“And you still have shown no regrets to me, nor anyone else in this Hall.”

“My Lord, I am sure....”

“Silence! You just missed yet another chance.”

Bormio looked confused at that. He really and truly didn't understand the need to apologise to us or anything like that.

The Count continued: “You have, despite several attempts, bungled attempts indeed, failed to manage to steal anything, therefore I cannot force a branding upon you. I hereby announce that all your assets shall be seized and handed over to Mistress Megrozen to dispose of as she sees fit. You shall pay 50 crowns to this Assembly before the seizure of your assets. I cannot force the Guilds to punish you, but I sincerely hope that they do. For ignoring the warnings you were afforded and for persisting in a tangled nest of lies and for showing no remorse, I shall have your dominant hand removed. Maybe that …”

The Count was interrupted by a female scream of 'No!' that tore at the ears of all present.

I was surprised.

Because the voice was mine.

The Count looked at me in some annoyance, but indicated I should speak.

“My Lord, please forgive me for the interruption. But I feel I must bring some other facts to your attention. Before you pass sentence.”

“Mistress Julina, this is most irregular and most discourteous. I trust what you have to say is relevant?”

“I believe so, My Lord. But the final decision on that will naturally be yours.”

“Very well. Carry on.” He seemed only slightly mollified.

Bormio looked even more worried at these developments.

I looked directly at him, as I began: “My Lord, I entered Master Bormio's establishment as a genuine customer, and indeed found several pieces I liked and would have purchased in all good faith. I object strongly to being made out to be a thief with no grounding in fact, but I, at least, am keeping to the facts. I repeat that he had items I would have liked to have purchased faithfully. My companions also found several items that they also wished to faithfully purchase.

“Why do I mention this? My Lord, its relevance is, I believe, because Master Bormio has talent. He may have some faults (which of us do not?) but he does have a great deal of talent. To remove his hand is to deprive us, all Tranidor, all Palarand, indeed all Alaesia of this talent. It would be a tragedy. I beg you My Lord to show a degree of clemency.

“His only real crime is his greed and his arrogance. Which of us here has not, at some stage, been tempted by greed?” At this point I was looking directly at the Count, and was surprised to see him flinch at that. His wife placed her hand again on his forearm and she looked at me a little quizzically. This was such strange behaviour that I faltered a little in my speechifying.

“Yes, um … yes, indeed, er... Mistress Megrozen suffered some superficial damage to her house. Blood was sprayed and carpets had to be replaced. The girls with me were all shocked and I was bruised on my shins, my thighs and my arms, not to mention the shock to my system at being so treated. Mistress Megrozen's reputation has taken a severe knock by this arrogant opportunist's behaviour.

“But he has talent. A talent that I believe should be enjoyed as widely as possible. Would it not be possible to allow him to continue his life's work in more strictly controlled surroundings? I beg you My Lord to try to find some other solution. He already knows he has missed out on the chance of a lifetime – the hand mirrors shall now be made by Master Tapio.” I looked at Bormio at that point, in time to see his shoulders slump in final defeat.

“Maybe there is some way that the prisoner could be made to produce these hand-mirrors FOR Master Tapio? That way he would be reminded of what could have been, but without any benefit to himself from them?”

The Count looked at me in amazement, and then I noticed the Countess looking at me – with approval? A sudden thought occurred to her, I could see it in her face. She tapped on the Count's arm with a barely-supressed grin and whispered something in his ear. He in turn sort of grinned and then faced the prisoner, once more with a stern face.

“Well Bormio, it seems that you have a sort of champion here in the Hall, even if she has only faint praise for you. What say you to her proposal?”

“My Lord! I must thank her for her interjection and swear on all that I can that I shall not transgress again. I really have learned my lesson and you shall have no need to see me again, lest, of course, 'tis as a customer.” he said this last with a somewhat pathetic attempt at a grin. “My Lord, I beg of you.”

“Then I shall not have your hand removed.”

Bormio looked very relieved at that by the way!

“Which hand would it have been, again?”

“My right, My Lord.”

“Very well. Then the sentence I pronounce is that you shall forfeit your current assets to Mistress Megrozen after paying 50 Crowns to this Hearing. She shall have the rights to dispose of those assets as she feels fit. You shall work under the instruction of this Master Tapio for two years, doing work for yourself only with his specific permission. As a result of the unusual pleading you shall keep your hand, but as a reminder, then the middle and little fingers on your right hand shall be broken this evening.”

I gasped, and thus drowned out any other noise in the Hall, but Papa later told me that others did also.

“The final part of your punishment shall possibly be the hardest. Your request for a divorce is declined. Don't ask again.”

A sort of snigger ran round the court at that last part, and I realised now what the Count and Countess had been smiling at, albeit in a well-disguised fashion.

Bormio looked truly shocked at the final stipulation as they led him away.

An official approached us in the short lapse between Bormio disappearing and the next prisoner arriving. We ended up swiftly accepting an invitation to the Countess' rooms after the hearings were over. An offer of a guide to show us round the castle was also accepted, for us to fill in the time after we were finished with our duties and when the Countess herself was finished.

… … ...

“... you worked at the Tranidor East Semaphore Station?”

“That is so, Your Honour.”

“And are you a resident of Tranidor?”

“No sir!”

“Then case dismissed! The offence, if any took place, was not within Tranidor and involves a citizen of another landowner.”

“But My Lord, if you ...”

“Enough, Master Jalmond! I will not be accused AGAIN of meddling in my neighbour's affairs. I shall have a private interview with the ex-prisoner to hear the facts and advise him, but this instance does not fall within the jurisdiction of this tribunal.”

He turned to the nearest court official, ordering him to: “Bring this Salien to my chambers once the hearings are over.”

With that surprising conclusion to the three trials with which we were associated, we stood up and filed out of the Hall as the next prisoner was brought in.

We were met by a Guard, who looked a little surprised at seeing five of us, but then he took it all in his stride. We were five since Master Fedren stayed with Master Jalmond.

I suspect we were lucky in our allocation, for this Guard was proud of his job and of his castle. His enthusiasm and warmth of feeling affected us all positively.

Our two bells with him did not mean we saw everything there was to be seen, but we gained a good flavour of the castle and its workings. We were amazed at the number of offices and indeed shops that were crammed inside the inner bailey, and we saw a tantalising glimpse of life for those stationed here.

A messenger ran up to him saying that the final trial was winding down, so we were escorted to the Countess' rooms.

… … …

“... marvellous! I can quite understand why that Bormio wanted to produce these. Indeed a ready fortune to be made. But how could you argue for him like that, Mistress Julina? Surely he has done damage to you and to those you love and care for?”

“My Lady, I said what I said because I believe in it. I confess I had to hide a smile when the Count told him he would have to stay with his wife. That was a good idea of yours. That may well be his greatest punishment.”

“And how did you know 'twas my idea?”

“Ermm … your faces told me My Lady, as I was watching you. I saw your face reflect the original thought, then you suppressed a grin, then you whispered to him and then he grinned.”

“Maker! You are very observant are you not?”

“My Lady, it comes from being a mother to five young 'uns. You need to keep your wits about you, as you probably know!” I hastened to add this last.

“But you are not old enough, surely?”

“My Lady,” interrupted Papa, “I regret my wife departed to her pyre when poor Julina was just about a woman. The lot fell to her, and I could not be more proud of her!”

“I am sorry for your loss. Now I have a further question if I might. Why were you, Mistress Julina, chosen as the agent for this mirror?”

“Well it all sort of fell into place, My Lady. My coming-of-age present was a trip to Tranidor, and the timing was right, and Papa and Master Pocular here were so very busy – there is just so much to do in Blackstone right now.”

“Hmmm, Blackstone! The Count is not very enamoured with matters Blackstone right now.”

“That I had also observed, My Lady.” We shared a knowing glance.

Master Pocular joined in the conversation at that point. “And, seeing as she invented the thing, who else would we choose, My Lady?”

“Maker! You say SHE invented it? But her name appears not on the Exclusivity Licence?”

It was then Papa's turn to rush in: “My Lady, there were several factors in play here. One, we needed to get the Exclusivity Licence as rapidly as possible, lest another beat us to it. At that time, Julina had yet to come of age, so she couldn't be on the Exclusivity Licence of any of her ideas. She also has not the skills to produce this idea into a finished format, hence Pocular and I have a separate agreement to pay her a private licence fee.”

“Maker, has she invented so many other things too?”

“Well yes, My Lady. The Beam Lantern was also her idea.”

I frowned at that because it wasn't really. Before I could say anything though, Uncle chipped in with: “And she, My Lady, if I might be permitted, has been instrumental with many of the ideas for feeding and accommodating the ever-increasing population of Blackstone, and she runs the schools, she has already taught many basic lettering and numbering.”

Sookie said: “And, My Lady, she has been responsible for encouraging everyone to ride frayen. And providing readily-available hot water. Not to mention starting a Fish Farm!”

The Countess actually allowed her jaw to drop open, but by that time I was blushing so much, I needed to look down to avoid everyone's eyes. She continued after a little pause, and with a slightly fainter voice for some reason:”Maker! You have every reason, Master Kordulen, to be proud of her. Such a list of achievements, and yet so young still.”

Papa cleared his throat: “There is one other thing, My Lady, which sits awkwardly with me. I fear to mention it, lest it annoy you, but I find that I must speak my mind. I would not feel right just talking about it behind the Count's back, as so many of the citizens of this town do.”

A more serious look and tone invaded My Lady's attitude: “And what might that be, Master Kordulen?”

“My Lady, it has been reported to me that your husband lays claim to this new transport system for the public?”

“That is correct, Master Kordulen. In fact he wrote to the Queen herself about it recently.”

“Well, My Lady, this was in fact yet another of Julina's ideas. She approached Master Tanon's organisation, represented by the person of Master Rohid, with the idea. She did this with the help of Mistress Megrozen's son. 'Twas Master Rohid who then involved Master Moshan's organisation by contacting Master Ruckem, and from there they got your husband's permission.

“Julina is set to be actually receiving a greater proportion of the profits from the enterprise than your husband's Treasury does. And yet your husband is claiming this as his own idea. I know that Julina is hating me at the moment, because she wouldn't wish to be thrust into the sight of others. But nevertheless, we have just sat in your Hearing Hall and heard your husband demand respect for those that earn it. He however, appears not to be extending the same courtesy in this instance.

“In the contract that Julina has signed with Master Tanon's company, then she is also paid for the transport system if Master Tanon's company should implement it elsewhere. Your husband is not included in that further contract as he would be if this was his idea. This is blatantly NOT your husband's idea, so you must forgive a proud father's protection of his daughter's interests.”

“Maker! I never … Hold! The Count said he recognised your name from somewhere – it must be from the contract for the 'Wenders' as they are curiously called. Master Kordulen, you have judged me correctly in that I shall not send you to the cells for criticising my husband. I see from where Julina gets her admirable fortitude. I know not how to right this easily, but right it I shall. Will you trust me so to do?”

“Aye, My Lady, I believe I will. And I thank you.”

In an attempt to change the subject to something lighter, the Countess turned to Master Pocular and reverted to the hand mirrors: “Master Pocular, I would very much like to keep this sample of a hand mirror. Would you be kind enough to …”

She broke off as Pocular's face fell. Mine must have done as well. And Papa's.

Even Uncle and Sookie looked worried.

The Countess realised immediately that she had done something wrong, but could, of course, not have any idea how or why.

Pocular started slowly, hesitantly: “My Lady … I'm afraid … that is, I regret … er … to allow you to have one now, is I regret impossible. I … er ... to do so … would violate a promise, an oath if you like that I made.”

The Countess looked uncomfortable, but still cocked an eyebrow, inviting further disclosures.

I butted in here, to save them both some embarrassment: “My Lady, I regret that I am to blame. Master Pocular and Papa, in their generosity, have made a promise that I shall be the only human being to own one of these until the 1st of Marash. To leave this one here would break that vow as you can see. I would be perfectly willing to have one sent to you on the 1st – 'tis but four ... or is it five? ... days hence.”

“No, no. I fully intend to pay for it. I would never expect a gift. I have done nothing to deserve it. And I shall not break a vow for the sake of less than a week. You are all to be admired for adhering to oaths. Unlike that prisoner earlier who broke solemn oaths and yet my husband refused to try him …”


up
163 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Great

Another exciting chapter from the realm of Anmar. Thanks for sharing your talents with us Julie.

Linda Jeffries
Too soon old, too late smart.
Profile.jpg

Julina needs to leave Blackstone

Her talents will never reach her full potential there. It will be wonderful when Julina and Garia formally meet.

BTW, this IS the Count that we have come to know and love. ^_~.

Kim

I wonder did the count not

I wonder did the count not try the accused because he was a spy for him

Yea!

Dodged that bullet! Now we need an update on our Chivan Captain to keep things moving.

DJ