Julina of Blackstone - 044 - Plans Laid, Foiled and Actioned

Printer-friendly version

Do things EVER go according to plan?

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles, Book 2

by Julia Phillips

044 – Plans Laid, Foiled and Actioned


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
044 – Plans Laid, Foiled and Actioned

“Maker! This food is good. And such a sensible idea.” Sookie indicated her approval with her face and her gestures. She grinned before continuing: “No wonder you wanted to stay here Julina, and that you DO stay here Shemel, Termerik and Mohini!”

By this time all present had dropped the titles and we were (again) a group of friends, just has had happened on my previous visit.

We all laughed at Sookie's remark and settled back to describe our various experiences of the day for those who had not been present. The two girls came in with a tray of Pel, and some ales for the men.

Shemel and the boys were fascinated by our tales of the trials, and we five who had visited the Countess were interested in Fedren's telling of what else had happened in the Hearing Hall after we left.

“The next few were relatively minor offences, and actually there was another divorce petition too. Last of all, that Mowlia was brought up from the cells. She was subdued and maybe a little of the message had got through. I can tell you, though, young Julina, had you been there I suspect that there would have been an outcry again as great as that we all witnessed at the beginning of the day. My that woman hates you! I must also tell you that the Count was wishing at one point to have her tongue ripped out, but kept remembering that she was a part of his punishment of Bormio. Despite every affidavit to the contrary, despite her story being proven to be wrong, she still maintained two steadfast opinions: one, she had done nothing wrong, not even in the same room that morning, and two, that you had stolen something of hers.

“She described the hand mirror sufficiently well to establish in everyone's mind that she knew a little about it, and that this was indeed the item she was claiming you had stolen. The Count demonstrated then his innate cunning and led her along her claim of it being hers. She dug herself deeper and deeper, claiming that the owner of the Exclusivity Licence had given it to her for her man to produce. She was asked about the relevant dates and claimed that the Exclusivity Licence had been granted six months ago to this man who then gave the item to her.

“Despite being shown the error of her ways, and despite not being able to name the Masters on the Licence, she still maintained you had stolen it from her. She went deeper and deeper into detail, eventually claiming that you had stolen it from her bedroom when you committed adultery with her husband. According to her, the date of this supposed dalliance happened to be three days AFTER the visit to the shop, and when her husband was enjoying himself in the Count's cells.

“The Count gave her every opportunity to confirm her version, which she took with alacrity. It so soon became obvious that she had lied before, was lying now and would be lying more in the future; she was soon tied up in knots. By then, everyone in the room was fed up with her and the Count called a close to the pain. He brought forth another session of yelling when he told her that the item was going to be made by Master Tapio, yet another when he told her that her husband wanted to divorce her, and a final one when her husband's punishment was explained to her. She only stopped when the Count ordered her to be branded and for her to do something he called 'Community Servitude' for eight bells each week for a year. Finally, she let it sink into her obviously limited brain - she left sobbing.

“And swearing that she will make YOU pay for everything.”

“Oh well! I shall ask friends to semaphore me if she ever leaves to come up to Blackstone. Then we shall prepare a proper welcome for the crazy woman.”

“When shall we ourselves return?”

“Sookie, I would like to just show you all around for a further day and then depart the next one, if that is acceptable to all. That way we can leave in the middle of the day and overnight at Brayview. After that I should be able to ride once again.”

“Oh yes, of course – riding is not an option right now! Makes sense, I suppose. And I would actually like another day. Are we all agreed?” she said looking meaningfully at Uncle.

Pocular added: “Actually, I have a need to support Tapio for a few days, as now, after today in court, there shall be much demand come the 1st of the month. And I can help with the Beam Lantern stuff too. I also wish to talk with Master Moshan's people and have made an appointment for the day you propose to depart. My people up in Blackstone should be able to cope with the expected demand there.”

Fedren chipped in with: “And I have some more business with Master Jalmond that will keep me here, probably until into next month. Suril is capable for a week or so.”

“So we shall be four when we return?” asked Uncle. “Kordulen, you have no ties for a longer stay?”

“None,” replied Papa, somewhat sparingly.

“Then 'tis agreed. Julina and I will be escorted by Kordulen and Brydas, and leave you two to get up to whatever mischief you have planned.”

I jumped in then. “Will the two of you stay here? The girls will need to know.”

Pocular and Fedren looked at each other.

“Well as Mistress Megrozen is really your friend and was kind enough to let us stay when you were here, perchance we should …”

“Nonsense,” Shemel interrupted rapidly. “You are welcome to stay. Indeed, 'tis a welcome change of conversation. We have little enough change to our routines, any newness is indeed much welcomed. And I myself need to visit Blackstone at some point, quite soon. I could travel up with you, if 'twere acceptable?”

The three made a tentative agreement to do that. There was a sort of silent pause after that.

“I could show you tomorrow, people, all the places, both small and large, where we got the various little gifts we gave Jogantha and Karmanya as a thank you; perhaps I could help find matching or complementary things. They enjoyed their little gifts, I believe?” I said, looking at the permanent residents.

“Very much so,” answered Shemel. “There were a few tears, I can tell you. Tears of happiness.”

“Then we six shall find something on the morrow, those girls are doing a wonderful job and should be made to feel appreciated,” stated Sookie firmly.

“Now … I would like to ...” Shemel's start of a new sentence was interrupted by a light rap on the door, followed by the entrance of Karmanya. We all turned to look at her, which made her blush.

“If it pleases, Master Shemel, there is a messenger come. Shall I show him in?” She seemed strangely flustered.

“A messenger? For whom? It is still early, but …?”

“He asked for Mistress Julina, Mistress Sukhana and Master Termerik as well as Master Kordulen and yourself Master Shemel. He is … different to any messengers we have had before.”

I giggled a little at that awkward first statement of hers, all the while wondering what on Anmar this was all about, and why she was so flustered. The composition of the message's recipients gave me a certain clue of the root subject, but I couldn't work out why we should have a messenger about it, especially one that is somehow so different.

“Then bring him in here, thank you.”

Karmanya dropped a swift curtsey and turned back to the hallway, closing the door gently behind her. We all looked at each other in wonder, but none said a word to voice our obvious questions.

The door opened again, and a splendidly dressed man was ushered in. I realised instantly why Karmanya had been so flustered, for this man was obviously from the Castle, his uniform immaculate

I was puzzled for I thought I recognised him from somewhere, and immediately began thinking back to the afternoon. I didn't have time to wonder too much about it, though, since the man stood directly in front of me and addressed himself to my face.

“Mistress Julina, Countess Lasalenne presents her compliments, and requests your presence at an event on the morrow at Junction Square, beside the Shuttle Shed. The event is to commence at the 7th Bell. She appreciates that you shall be accompanied by Mistress Sukhana,” at this point he faced Sookie, “and therefore requests that you remain in Tranidor for a further night, not departing until at least the following day. She was concerned since you had hinted you might all be departing on the morrow.”

He turned to the others and studied them briefly before facing Termerik.

“I believe I have the honour of addressing Master Termerik? The Countess Lasalenne requests your presence at the same time and place ...”

It was at that moment I realised where I knew this messenger from – he had been the herald that made that announcement in the Market Place, the one who had had the bugler to call people to gather to hear the Count's pronouncement about the Wenders on the Feast Day.

“... along with Masters Kordulen and Shemel.” He swung round and faced Fedren, the only guess he got wrong in his whole performance.

Although we others would have been relatively easy to describe, part of my mind told me; but it had still been impressive.

We all had communicative glances amidst each other and all agreed, without saying a word.

There was a pregnant pause.

I realised with a shock that all the others were waiting for me to make the reply.

“We thank you, sir, for your message and I confirm, on everyone's behalf, that we shall be there in time for a 7th Bell start. Might I enquire what it is about, that we might dress appropriately?”

“Mistress, there is to be an announcement about the 'Wender' usage and I understand there shall be a small ceremony to introduce the concept to the citizenry. This a more formal occasion, as most of the citizens already know about it. I believe the first of the special wagons shall be prepared and painted in time for the event tomorrow. All involved, yourself and Master Termerik, Master Rohid and Master Ruckem, and the Count himself shall be presented to the Townsfolk, a few words shall be spoken, and one of you, probably yourself as the only female, shall be asked to either break a bottle or cut a ribbon as a symbolic opening of the service. Mistress Sukhana is invited as your companion, of course, along with your father and Master Termerik's father, Master Shemel.”

I hastily acknowledged this information and sent him on his way, before we could get bogged down into the details of Termerik's parentage.

And then 'twas time for Sookie and I to panic.

We hadn't got a thing to wear.

Sookie declared that even the gown she went back to fetch when we departed Blackstone would not be grand enough.

A thought shot into my head; I was glad we had eaten early enough that the evening was yet young.

I called urgently for one of the girls. This time it was Jogantha.

“Jogantha, do you know where Mistress Nayet lives? Opposite the old 'Gallin House'?”

“Aye, Mistress. That I do!”

“Could you please find an urchin, or, better, go yourselves there as soon as possible. Ask her if she could receive two visitors so late. We need a gown each,” I said indicating Sookie and myself, “for a formal ceremony tomorrow e'en.”

Jogantha realised the urgency as she gasped. This would be no occasion just for a working gown or even a day gown – this actually would require a more formal gown.

“You should not walk the streets alone, so take Karmanya with you, or Master Shemel, or the two boys, or whatever. But go as swiftly as you can, please. Any other duties you have can wait, unless it means the house would burn down or something. Sookie and I will follow you, or the urchin, in the hope that she can see us tonight. If she cannot see us this night, then we need to see her as soon as possible come the morn. We shall be following a hand or two of moments after, thus we shall meet you in the street as you return, should tonight prove impossible. If however, it is possible to see us this night, then wait for us there. Yes, 'twould be best if both you and Karmanya went, forget the urchin.”

I added that last because I had had an idea.

Another one. Different from the one I was now organising so hurriedly.

Jogantha scurried off and Sookie and I rushed upstairs to try to each find a well-fitting dress that could possibly be unpicked and used as a pattern.

The girls popped their heads round my door to say they were leaving. I was pleased to see both of them, wrapped up for the evening's chill, were going off together.

As soon as I heard the front door shut, I called to the others to gather round quickly, saying that I had had an idea concerning the presents for the girls. They came up to stand awkwardly before my bedroom door.

“When we were here before, I believe I mentioned that we purchased surprise gifts for Jogantha and Karmanya, and Shemel and the boys confirmed they were well received. I propose that I arrange for this seamstress to make a 'for best' dressy gown for each of these girls as a present from us all for this stay. Are we all prepared to contribute to those costs?”

After a few questions about the amounts involved, men can be so mean sometimes with their coin, my colleagues all agreed, and we were pleasantly surprised when the three residents all wanted to partake as well.

“An excellent idea, my daughter. I confess I was at a loss as to finding something, and I remember your delight when you were given a 'for best' dress, gown whatever you women call it. Good and economical thinking. Well done!”

I was pleased that all agreed with me, but surprised that they were surprised I could think of such a thing in the midst of such an emergency.

Sookie and I were soon finished and we set out, practically running, to Mistress Nayet's, where she professed herself pleased to see me again and pleased to meet Sookie.

After explaining the problem, she looked worried and pleased all at the same time.

“My dear Julina! I am pleased that you are to be so honoured, but we have so little time ...” This last was said almost with a wail. “I have yet to eat this e'en, and I was just going out to get something I could cook …”

“Stop right there, Mistress!” I turned to the girls. “Girls, Mistress Megrozen's business is but a hundred strides away. Can you both go and fetch something for her? And I will pay for that meal, and for one for every night for a week! Mistress Nayet, what do you, or don't you, eat?”

After the inevitable disclaimers and 'oh you shouldn't' and silly stuff like that that just wasted time, it was done.

I sent the girls off and then turned to the others, explaining a further twist to my idea of a 'dress for best' for each of them. They smiled and agreed that it could well work.

And so Sookie and I were measured from head to foot, both of us standing there naked at the same time - to waste as little of that precious time as possible. We were still like that when the girls returned and reported that the food would arrive in a quarter of a bell.

“Now girls,” I began. “As you can see, we are being measured. I would like you two to be measured as well, since I believe that you, Karmanya, are close to my size, and you, Jogantha, are close to Mistress Megrozen's size. Thus, if any such emergency should again arise in the future, we can send you here in our place and at least get an early start on the work.”

I didn't give them time to dwell on the improbabilities and illogicality of parts of that statement and soon we four were standing there, all without a stitch on. This made it so much quicker to get the measurements, rather than wait for a single woman to undress, measure her, wait while she redressed, and then repeat the process for each of the others in turn.

I had to pretend to be SO disappointed that Karmanya was not, after all, quite so close to my measurements!

We were all redressing when there was a knock at the door. Mistress Nayet went down to it and was surprised to see Mohini standing there, not someone with food in hand. The poor lad had to wait for a hand of moments whilst we all clucked and giggled and made ourselves more presentable just as fast as we could.

Eventually he was allowed in when the food arrived. We allowed Nayet to eat while we chatted about the sort of gown we should have, and so on. The girls, as soon as they were dressed again, and had, at their own insistence, served the food, then they had fulfilled their purpose. I had gently dismissed them, so they had curtsied gracefully and politely, and then had gone back to the South Point house, leaving the four of us.

We insisted to Mohini how very unusual all this haste was, and that how a seamstress would normally take weeks to produce something. He was visibly impressed that Nayet was prepared to be up all night, and he was impressed that Sookie and I were so happy about it all. I could see a thought start in his head, and that he was worrying at it while we all chatted. We swiftly arrived at the familiar terms of address betwixt us. Once her meal was out of the way, Nayet started determinedly to get this hasty project under way, but I stopped her almost at once.

I nodded towards Mohini while looking at the other women as I raised an eyebrow in query. They both nodded.

We women turned and looked at Mohini, asking him why he had come there.

“'Lina, Master Shemel, Term and I had a further idea, a refinement of yours if you like. And wanted to quickly discuss it with you and Mistress Sukhana, and indeed Mistress Nayet. I shall be quick for I deem you three have much to do this e'en, and perchance night.”

We all nodded our agreement with that.

“Quickly said then, we thought that the 'dresses for best' should best be left as a present for you six to give. We three, and Mama I'm sure, will pay for three work dresses that they might keep their other dresses for themselves, much less wear and tear that way ...”

None of us women bothered to correct the boy's confusion of dress and gown.

“... and then we know that Mistress Nayet here has their numbers and can make a new 'for best' dress next New Year, which WE can then give them. Would that be acceptable to you all?”

“Very much so. An improvement of my idea, indeed. Mistress Nayet, are you prepared to have such a commission?”

“My dear, that is a very silly question! Of course I am. You and Mistress Haka have quite revived my fortune. I am beginning to get a very good reputation, instead of just a good one, now that it is known I do work for some of the important people in Blackstone.”

Another idea hit me just then, but it was sent to the back of my head when I saw Mohini struggling with something.

“Er... May I make a further suggestion?”

I nodded encouragingly.

“Mistress Nayet. I can see that you have eaten from our business this night. As a thank you for all your help a week or so ago and for the emergency of tonight, and for the work dresses and so on, and for the delight and pleasure I can see that dear 'Lina and Sookie shall gain, I shall tell the business that you shall be fed in the evenings for the entire month of Marash.”

I gasped, as did both Sookie and Nayet.

I suspect for different reasons, though.

Nayet, obviously, because of such a generous offer. Again, her protests were waved away.

Sookie because she was also surprised at the generosity, and also because I think she suspected what I did. Her eyes twinkled.

I did, because I suspected something that I believe Sookie also caught onto, and also because of the generosity and the thoughts that this youngster had had.

I was prepared to wager that Mohini was nervous because he had just made a decision for himself, a decision that involved his company and he had not consulted anyone in that company about it beforehand.

His probably first adult decision in his whole life.

I resolved to speak to Shemel about it, to lend support so as to speak.

… … ...

“Good night, Sookie!”

“Good night, 'Lina. A productive evening and night, I deem!”

“Indeed. But I think I just heard the eighth bell, so dawn is a mere four bells away, just a little more. My pillow is calling me. It has been for a bell or two! And my fingers and arms ache from the unpinning, the further pinning and the cutting. I was amazed at the speed of her stitching, all the while maintaining such accuracy.”

“My arms and fingers too. I know my stitching would not have been good enough. Just about all that is left now is to marry the tops to the bottoms and then have a final fitting. So we have all done well this e'en and night. I wish you most pleasant dreams.”

“And to you!”

I heard a faint rumble of a male voice as Sookie climbed into her bed in the next room, but then there was nothing more for me. My dreams were full of cutting cloth, which I had been doing most of the evening, and then of standing naked before the King and Queen as she sewed my dress onto my skin and then being made to make a speech to the entire Nation who were all gathered on the Square in front of us, when a dress-wearing dranakh stampeded through a gate into a large field …

… … ...

“Mmmnn! Huh?”

“I repeat, are you awake enough to discuss what we do today?”

“Probably, Papa.”

“In that case, you are not! I suggested that we explore the town in the morning and lunch in the 'Nest', I would wager that you and Sookie need to visit your dressmaker in the early afternoon. Then you particularly, but also Sookie practically, will require an afternoon nap, and then we shall need to get ready for this event. I wonder what the Countess has arranged? I assume that this is the result of her promise to us.”

“Uh huh! We'll do that. I'll be back down in half a bell.”

I staggered my way out of the breakfast room and upstairs to my room.

It was a full bell later that Papa woke me once more.

Fedren, Uncle and Pocular had business elsewhere so Papa was our escort as we went about town. I showed him the island where Master Moshan lived and we went over to West Tranidor on one of the Wenders, and back.

He escorted us to Mistress Nayet's, waited while we had a final fitting, waited some more as she finished off the garments and then escorted us back to the house. Sookie and I almost raced to the comfort of our beds, while Papa arranged for the girls to waken us at the right time. He apparently went off on his own then.

… … ...

“ … not being directly involved in the setting-up of this project, it pleases me to be able to explain the developments that have led to this evening's celebrations, and to introduce the important people that have contributed so much.

“First I would like to present to you Master Ruckem who has been responsible for driving this project through, for finding the necessary finances and so on.” The Countess broke off for Master Ruckem to stand up from the bench upon which we were all seated, and for him to bow to polite applause.

“Then there is Master Rohid, whom many of you know already. He has made available the wagons, the drivers and the beasts for the whole idea to run, with the gracious support of his chief, Master Tanon. You can see here the designated livery with which these Wenders shall make themselves visible.”

More applause.

“These two men also came up with the idea of how to allow passengers to make use of this facility, and to part with some coin to enable the whole thing to be funded in the future.”

The applause seemed to grow a little warmer still.

“This young man, whose name is Termerik, is arguably the key to the development of the entire thing ...” This made Term blush almost as heavily as I usually do “... for it was he who brought the basic idea to Master Rohid. Without him, it is doubtful that we would today be celebrating the first ever public service of its kind in all Alaesia.”

It seemed to me that Term got even warmer applause than that which had been afforded the other two men.

“My husband needs no introduction, all of you know who he is, and some of you even agree with him sometimes.” She paused for the laughter that came. We all ignored the few jeers.

I looked at the Count, but, although he wasn't smiling, at least he wasn't glowering.

“My husband was presented with the idea early one afternoon. His vision and his instant grasp of what a wonderful boon this would be to this community meant that he had, always provided the dreaded lawyers could agree the details ...”

Again there were some laughs, more genuine somehow, this time.

“... before dusk approved this enterprise and had granted it a Licence to Operate. He contributed several ideas which were later incorporated into the design of how it would all work.”

The applause seemed quite grudging somehow.

“I beg you now to please warmly applause this young lady, as she cuts the ribbons to formally open the nation's first ever public Wender system. Her name is Mistress Julina and she has been chosen to do the honours this evening for one very simple reason. The Wenders are HER idea – she is the one who thought of the whole scheme in the first place.”

I was blushing as I stood to snip through the symbolic ribbons, and I scuttled back to my seat as soon as I could. Was it me, or was the applause warmer than any that had gone before? It died down fairly swiftly though.

The Count then rose and made a speech, during which he emphasised his own part in the proceedings and, very subtly, suggested that it was his avuncular advice that had helped me. All of us from Blackstone were a bit annoyed at that, and I could see Masters R and R tighten their lips.

Then even the Countess threw him an annoyed look when he suggested that I say a few words.

I realised, with a shock, that he wanted me to stumble and bumble my way through a few words so he could be seen to be the one who was of so much help to me.

My anger made me stand to do it and without blushing for a change. That anger drove the blood away from my cheeks. Mind you, my knees were trembling, and the rest of me was blushing furiously under my new gown.

“Dear citizens of Tranidor. Am I speaking loud enough for you all to hear? … No? … Is that better? … Good.” The Count looked thunderstruck and the Countess was fighting back a smirk. I just pretended I was in a lesson which made it suddenly very easy for me. And made my blushes subside.

“I must make it quite clear that I thank Master Termerik there for taking my idea to the proper people who could develop it. I am told that, size-wise, Tranidor is our nation's largest city, once West and South Tranidor are also taken into account, and it therefore seems appropriate that the Wender system should begin here. I myself am from Blackstone, so closely connected to here with Master Tanon's shuttles. That idea was the brainchild of our Baroness, and she urged Master Jaxen, a senior wagonmaster to Master Tanon, to develop the regular running of those shuttles.

“That knowledge formed the base of my idea here. For the Wenders are nothing more than regular shuttles from point to point here in the town and its surroundings. Blackstone, many of you know, is the single largest developing community in our entire nation and we all who live there, in these past months since our Baroness, our future Queen, arrived there, have become used to thinking of solutions to problems and using our brains to search for such solutions.

“I visited here for a week just before the New Year started and I saw several of the more disadvantaged citizens struggling to get to and from the Market with their wares, and the solution came to me just like that. My colleagues with me and I discussed the name for a long, long while. I believe we have found a good one?”

The applause was definitely warmer this time. My earlier thought, the one I had last evening, jumped into my head once more, and I recognised this as an unanticipated opportunity to do something about it.

“As for this evening, then I thank My Lord and My Lady for this honour.”

I turned and curtsied to them, a gesture that took them by surprise.

“I confess that with so little advanced knowledge, I was concerned as to what I could possibly wear. Yes, I am a woman, in case there was any doubt.”

Genuine laughter.

“Up in Blackstone, we have so much going on that all the usual occupations are overloaded. But here in Tranidor we found a superb seamstress, Mistress Nayet, who answered our pleas ...” I subtly indicated Sookie too, “... and produced these gowns for us, in less than a full day. I would have been mortified to be up here in my normal day wear, and any praises I might heap upon Mistress Nayet's abilities are only too inadequate to reflect upon her undoubted abilities. I doubt any in Blackstone could have done so well, so swiftly. Look you all on her works, and tremble at her prowess.”

So, I had managed to get a wider audience aware of Mistress Nayet's abilities, which had been that thought from yestere'en. And I had to also give them some advance notice of the delights available at Master Tapio's in a few day's time. I brought myself back to the matter at hand.

“I expect that you shall be seeing many innovations that have originated from Blackstone over the next few weeks and months – indeed one such was demonstrated yesterday in Count Trosanar's Hearing Hall, and is being made by Master Tapio, under licence. It is a hand-held mirror ...” there were some gasps “... that shall be available from the 1st of Marash. That too, as mentioned, originated up in Blackstone. As did the Beam Lantern. Again something that shall be supplied by Master Tapio.

“Then there are … Oh! I'm sorry! I seem to have drifted off the subject of the Wenders. I have never before made a public speech, and this one was somewhat thrust upon me with no time to prepare, so you must forgive me. I hope you do?”

There was a definite note of approval in the applause that followed.

“I deem 'tis simply time to stop talking. I just wish to say that I hope my idea of the Wenders finds approval and makes many lives easier. Thank you!”

The applause was most gratifying.

As was the scowl on the Count's face.

All in all, I was feeling quite proud of myself.

… … ...

“ … and the way you kept bringing in the name 'Blackstone' was excellent. I counted at least a hand of times. That might teach the Count a lesson or two. It was so mean what he tried to do!”

We were all in a good mood that evening as we finished up our supper and made our first tentative plans for the morning's departure. Pocular and Fedren, as stated, were staying down here for a little while longer so we would be the four of us. My Call still being very much in evidence, it was obvious that I would take the Shuttle up to Brayview. I should be in a condition to ride again the following day. We decided therefore to leave in plenty of time to get to the Shuttle Shed up in Junction Square and for me to be escorted by the others, who would tag along with the Shuttle bringing all our frayen, both the riding ones and the beasts of burden.

… … ...

“I regret no, Dorsal. I shall be leaving earlier than you in the morning as we shall ride the rest of the way in a single day. So I regret I can give no more lessons this evening.”

I had had a pleasant surprise when I reached the Shuttle Shed and discovered that Dorsal was once again our shuttle driver. He was also pleased to see me, he stated. His eyes told me that he was not just saying that.

There were two other passengers, workers at the Forest Roadhouse who had been sent down to find others who might want to work somewhere in Blackstone lands. I found it all sort of amusing, since I had never seen them before and they were trying to encourage people to join our swelling community by promising them lessons in writing and numbering.

“Oh really? That sounds interesting. Is the teacher any good?”

“Most excellent, I can assure you. We have been taught to the very highest standards.”

I was all for spending a bell or two teasing them, but Papa put the two of them out of their possible embarrassment before I could take it too far. They did have the grace to blush when Dorsal confirmed Papa's statement that I was in fact in charge of the schooling for the moment.

So of course, I was enrolled once more as a teacher. The two of them had the basics and were grateful for my extra input, which made them far more confident.

When we got to Brayview, Basset was very pleased to see me, and was pleasantly surprised that Papa was my father. He, of course, had visited Brayview before, but Kolston and Basset had never been able to put the two of us together.

Papa had also arranged a meeting for himself for when we arrived and he soon disappeared with two or so hands of men into a back room, to set up his expanded road maintenance team and to assign tasks.

He arranged a further meeting on the morrow for half of the men present, down in Bezlet, explaining that we had to get back to Blackstone itself by the evening tomorrow, so they had better be there by the half after the second bell.

It was at that supper that I had anticipated I could ask Uncle the question I had been wanting to ask for days. But it was not easy to get going as there was a certain concern in the air.

There were not too many people this night. So normally we would have sat down to table just before dusk. This night, the gathering gloom was growing ever darker and still the downvalley shuttle had not arrived. The semaphore operators had fallen into the habit of sending the passenger news to Brayview that they could know how many beds and how many suppers were to be required. They themselves had now turned up for their own meal and they confirmed that the semaphore had told them of two passengers, travelling with few baggages, were aboard.

Papa and Uncle volunteered to take a beam lantern with them and go as far as the Chaarn fork, which was 5 marks distant. To get there and back would take them a bell or more, so Basset decided to serve the food now, and to retain four portions for a bell's time.

Just as they were about to leave, Sookie had an idea – one which annoyed me as I felt that I should also have thought of it, but didn't.

“Brydas! Take another three frayen with you, in case the wagon can't move, then you have mounts for the two passengers and the driver. In fact, take another two or three as well, in case there are extra passengers we don't know about, or they have baggage they need to bring with them.”

“Good thinking, sweet – er … Sukhana. So we shall.”

“I shall place two pairs of lanterns on the road side a cast apart so you have something to aim for in the dark. The road is straight here so you should be able to see them, and also judge distances. I will try to place a third pair, if I can find extras.”

“Oh, Mistress Sukhana, that is a very fine idea. I'm sure we can find some more lanterns,” added Kolston.

Thus it was that my questioning of Uncle would have to wait – again.

The food was, as usual, very good and I filled in the time with a few more lessons for those that wanted them.

We were all getting anxious as more than a bell passed, but then we heard the creak of a wagon and the calls of the men.

The wagon had developed a wheel problem, and it was being carefully treated at a slow pace until Papa and Uncle found them. Then the wagon was unloaded, our frayen used and the entire party made it in the dark. The passengers came in, and Sookie and I squealed, I confess.

They were Berdon and Bettayla.

… … ...

And so the evening took its course. A small entertainment from our two 'actors' as they called themselves and finally I was able to ask Uncle my now-burning question and all its followers.

“Uncle, you said that there is a whatsits, a thingy, a … plant, that was it. A plant down near Haligo which will soon be a large coke-producing plant? But at the moment they are using a smaller facility, a temporary one?”

“Yes, that is correct, my dear.”

“And furthermore, you say that coke is lighter in weight than coal?”

“Yes again.”

“And that you currently require more coke than you ever anticipated?”

“Indeed.”

“Well it seems silly to me that you transport coal nearly one hundred marks, just so it can be turned into coke, and sent back those hundred marks.”

“But that is the way it shall be, so we have planned it this way for the future.”

“I understand that, but I was just wondering. Why don't you build a small coke plant up in Blackstone, like the temporary one downstream, to make a bit more than you need? Then the excess can be shipped down valley and help Master Bezan with his weight problem up the incline to the Chaarn Junction. That way you cut down your delivery times, you help Master Bezan and we don't have wagon loads going down valley only to come back up again. It seems to me that it would be of benefit to everyone.”

Uncle rubbed his chin as he thought about it.

He started slowly: “One thing we didn't want to do was overcrowd Blackstone with factories. We didn't see the point of shipping ores UP to Blackstone only to ship them back down again as finished products. But in a way, that is what we are doing with the raw materials, in reverse. I deem the largest problem with your otherwise excellent suggestion is where would be the plant? Where could we situate it? We don't want it too near the town. We don't want everyone coughing all day, every day.”

We were all silent for a little while as we looked at the head of our valley in our mind's eyes.

“I think ...” I said slowly, “that maybe we could build it down near the forest edge, near where the new bridge for the railroad is going to be built? Or maybe by the new track that leads to the in-between semaphore station?”

“Hmm, yes, that would work. I shall ask Bezan as soon as we get back. Or, rather, as soon as I can. Your Papa might take forever at his meeting on the morrow and we will not be back to our homes before it's dark!”

We all laughed at that, because it had been always Papa that was driving us on, and hating to be late for anything.

Then we switched attention back to Berdon as he and Bettayla had a few things to say to us.

“Well young Mistress Julina. We must say that we are both extremely glad that we took the time to come and investigate your home town. I can say without doubt that it is the most exciting place we have ever seen. There is so much going on, and to be able to make a valuable contribution by putting on our performances for so many people who are at the very forefront of this nation's developments, discussions and daring innovations, is something that inspires us. We shall be back.

“As you have probably already guessed, since we have left a great amount of our baggage up there. We adore your Master Michen and his home, we know that your Salon is destined to be a success, and your Steward, apart from being a thoroughly honourable and nice man, is efficient, hard working and committed. We shall be delighted to make our move. We must abide by our agreements for the next month, and expect to arrive, with our full troupe, just before Marash comes to an end.

“We shall send a semaphore well in advance to let the Town know how many we are and we shall require two weeks or so of preparations before we can commence performing.” He turned to his wife with a raised eyebrow, so 'twas she who continued.

“We have spoken with the Steward about our schedule, explaining that doing the same thing too often is the quickest and surest way for the audiences to get bored. But we would need a good two weeks to learn anything new. The Steward has suggested that perhaps we come down here once a month or two, to put on a show for the people who live around here. And then also one or two shows in Bezlet and one at the Forest Roadhouse, making sure that everyone in Milady's lands has a chance to be entertained every other month.”

“Well I must say that that sounds all very organised. And I am of course delighted that you are going to join us.”

“And your friend Molleena has given us some good words to say and also some interesting little stories to flesh out. We are delighted to have found such an appreciative audience and such a talented user of words. Thank you for your trip upon which you found us.”

Thus it was that we gained the knowledge that our town was going to have added attractions. I made a point of making sure the 'recruiters' understood an extra 'selling point'.

We chatted some more about the town and any developments (not many) that had occurred in our absence.

Soon all retired to bed and I slept deeply and well – for the entire night.

… … ...

The departure the next day was not delayed by much, but we all had to inspect the damage to the wagon. It all seemed so very trivial somehow, but Brayview had some spare wheels in their stores and we knew that the repairs would not take long. The driver insisted on taking the damaged wheel with him, saying that Master Tanon would be requesting, which actually means demanding, some repayments, as apparently the wheel had been replaced only a week or so ago.

It was so much nicer getting into a saddle than sitting on those quite hard wagon benches. I said goodbye to Dorsal and to the two 'recruiters' and swung up onto Trumpa's back, where I nowadays felt I belonged. Our string of frayen pulled out onto the road just after another of Uncle's coke wagons passed uphill. We soon overtook it, and not long after that, we were waving to the semaphore operators at the Junction station.

When we got to Bezlet, Papa immediately took on his meeting and organisation of the road maintenance teams so I led Uncle and Sookie through the trees to the riverbank, where they could see for themselves the 'wharf' area and the nose of Kord Peak. Since I was last there a sturdy bridge had been made to cross the near canyon carved by the stream that Papa had described, and some workers were using that bridge as a base from which to start chipping away at the rock face of the Peak itself. A few more trees were down too, and some more clearing of the undergrowth. I began to be able to see the future layout and see how the wagons would be unloaded and their contents transferred to the wharf.

A hail brought us back through the trees to the buildings, and Papa was there grinning.

“Come along, you lot. Delaying us yet again?”

Sookie and I looked at each other and answered him in unison.

“Yes.”

Sookie expanded slightly: “You shall have to wait another hand of moments.”

The wife there, the one who also did some catering to travellers, grinned and waved us into her facilities.

… … …

“Farewell once again, Uncle Steef. That meal was delicious, but now we must hurry a little to get back home on time.”

“Safe journey. Love to Swayga. Farewell Kordulen. Look after her!”

“Aye, lad. That I shall! And you take care too. I wish you success in your venture.” The two looked meaningfully at each other, so I made another mental note to ask Papa about it when we were alone.

Uncle and Sookie also took their leave of those they knew and we were soon scaling our way up the slope that led diagonally across the rock face, forever, or so it seemed, climbing up to the base of Strettalm.

We reached the turn at the top of the cliff, at the bottom of the peak and we headed along the road, knowing that we were travelling straight towards our homes. Even the frayen seemed happy at that and I was sure I could detect a lightness of stride as we set out through the trees.

It seemed funny to me that there, off to our right, at the top of the peak, there were people who could actually see our house, and yet we still had some bells of travelling before we got there.

… … …

We were all quite cheery as we went on. The animals seemed to sense we were nearing the end of the journey. For a mark or two, we racked the pace up to near the fastest I had ever gone, and it was absolutely thrilling. All of us were whooping and yelling, much to the disconcernment (if that is even a word; if it's not, then it SHOULD be) of a couple of wagons, themselves pressing the pace to make it down to the Forest Roadhouse before dark.

Such was our mood that even the two men didn't moan too much when Sookie and I needed a 'natural break' roughly half way. We both said to ourselves that next time we shall ensure we make at least two breaks because, when we got to the Claw, we threw the reins to Papa and Uncle and we waddled as quickly as we could with clenched muscles across the courtyard and into the rest room. We both sighed loudly as we relaxed those muscles. It's just not fair the way that men can simply not need to go.

… … …

We came back out of course and helped with the unloading and stabling of the beasts. We answered a few questions and asked some of our own, we bedded the animals down and then we had the mutual hugs before we went our separate ways. I was tempted to go up to the Salon, but decided against it. I was, after all, really rather tired. My mind was, however, churning as I was already planning my day on the morrow. I would have to turn up to the lessons to find out how the schedule was to be for the rest of the week. Papa and I reached home and we were glad in a way that everyone was up and surprised but pleased to see us. We ate a meal that Swayga cobbled together, well we WERE unexpected! Whilst doing so, we answered many of the same questions that others had already asked us. We also asked our own questions, and passed on the messages from Steef.

I was pleased to get to my bed, even though Kords came back then from the Salon. She was tired too, and we promised each other to have a long chat when we started our duties at Em's tomorrow.

My head rested on my pillow.

The midnight bell sounded and my last thought was that I just had one more day of being the only hand-mirror owner in the world.


up
156 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

More fun and games

A good double-punch! I didn't know this was going to be posted next to mine.

Another good posting to keep all our readers happy.

Penny

both chapters are good reading but...

Both stories' chapters got buried by an avalanche of 17 chapters from other authors.

If this double posting can be done again, you (plural) can have Garia and Bleskin sending each other messages that Blackstone needs to have a coke plant. The hilarity would need some coordination and could elicit the cliche of "great minds think alike" from Garia.

Alright!

Julina gets credit.

Julia, thanks for the new episode.

I notice a distinct lack of jails in Palarand

Unless you are to be held until you are executed, apparently.

The drawback is that crazy ass felons like Bormio's wife gets to wander free and cause more mischief. One gets the feeling she will somehow make her way up to Blackstone just to get 'revenge'. Oh boy.

There has to be a better way imho.

Jails...

It's been a long, looooooooooooooong time since the comment I'm referring to was posted but maybe I can add a bit of clarity to the whole thing. If my reading of the 'world of Anmar' is correct then their justice seems to consist of restitution (as direct as possible) community service (either to one 'entity' [ala Sethan to Brydas]) or to the crown working at an oar on one of the ferries or on a treadmill (think the chain pump in the palace) to be their place of punishment. This is actually IMO much better than putting someone in prison where they may end up only being further educated in criminality...

An opportunity was not taken, but not lost.

An opportunity was not taken.
I waited for Julina, Brydas, or Sookie to bring up the benefits of using coal over wood and coke over wood and charcoal and coal. Although it didn't happen, all is not lost. Pocular may still pitch coal as the better fuel for float glass. Through Megrozen (and family) coal can be introduced for heating and cooking (I am surprised that Mohini hasn't gotten into coal hauling and delivery service yet [he sure jumped on the Wenders idea fast]). By letter or 'Gro coal and coke can be introduced to the castle.

I can just imagine Mohini becoming the premier coal and coke dealer (all puns and play on words apply) in Tranidor.

pollution controls

All I can say is that Garia better hurry up with designing pollution controls as users already recognize how filthy most coal is.