The Platinum Chef : A Tale of Delacroix Part XXXII

Printer-friendly version

Chapter 95

Finals week: The culmination of the last eight months of study and boredom, dissections and derivations.

For the seniors, it was the last week of an entire lifetime. Eveything they had ever known would be finished. Some would go to college, some would get a job, but all of them would live on.

Bobbie sat in the first of her final exams. Questions about the two party system and the Constitution led to an essay question on the legality of campaign reform laws. She wanted to laugh out loud as she finished her eighth paragraph and handed in her test.

The afternoon was long and glorious. The band practiced Soldier On while Heather loaded new samples into the keytar.

“This is gonna be so sick.” Kim twisted a tuning peg, bringing the bass to a pleasant hum.

“I saw the song list,” Bobbie said. “What are you going to do?”

“We’re gonna jam with a DJ. We know what songs he’s going to use, and he has a list of our whole catalogue. It’ll be fun, Army’s last mission and all.”

“Oh. Hang on.” Heather got up and ran to the wardrobe. When she returned, she had a hanger with…

“What the?” Kim asked. 

“This is yours for the party.” Heather said. A pink camoflauge pencil skirt hung low with a half sleeve jacket inspired by World War II uniforms in pink with white trim, and a small enlisted cap.

“Grrl Army. Hold on, I’ll get mine.” Heather was gone again.

“She is something else.” Bobbie said. “She better find an apprentice soon.”

When she returned, she laid out the outfit on the folding table. She set the high black strappy boots on the ground, chrome buckles glistening in the light. Tall stockings with clips went under a short black skirt held up by a belt that resembled machine gun ammunition. A tight top with quarter sleeves, a sash, and a snug fitting painter’s cap with short bill.

“See? All tactical.”

“Nice, what about Amber and Bella?”

“Still working on Bella’s flight suit and Amber’s sailor outfit, almost done though. Looks like this the last project I’ll be doing for fun. Orders need to be filled, I guess.”

“Now, that I understand.” Bobbie said, taking the last few moments of relaxation before diving into the controlled chaos of the bakery.

 ***

Roxx rubbed at the watch that Nikolai made her wear. Looked like a normal stylish ladies’ watch. Jewel encrusted with tiny emeralds at the ends of the face’s hands

This watch hid a panic button, a direct line to Nikolai’s phone.

There’s an app for everything.

 Roxx’s attacker may have gotten her wrath. But Nikolai was determined to not have a repeat of that incident.

Insurance. He had said.

The tablet had been dinging more often, and Roxx had figured out enough to keep herself comfortable. The club; it seemed, had become imbued with her essence. It was a part of her, she was a part of it. Robb would have said that she grokked the club.

Just like Bobbie and that bakery.

And the girls? They were just as much a part of her as the club was. She made it a point to rotate a few of them home, leaving the rest to the neverending party in the ‘exclusive’ VIP room.

Their presence was what was interfering with Lust. Having leverage on an immortal being was a nice card to keep up a sleeve.

Even in a sleeveless gown.

“Colors look good, Mel.” Said Roxx.

“Thanks, I wasn’t too sure about the yellow, but it sets off the red and the green really nicely.” Mel pulled at the tacky, sprayed hair.

Looks like I have a nice little empire starting here. If this is supposed to be a consolation prize, winning may just have been too much.

 ***

Bobbie’s biology final consisted of what seemed like an endless onslaught of multiple choice answers.

True or False? Charles Darwin invented Evolution?

The day blurred by, even though school was still in session, the day was over by lunch. Bobbie and the gang made it a point to meet there before heading out for the afternoon.

“Gonna miss this bench.” Amber said.

“It’ll still be here.” Beth said.

“Yeah, but it won’t be the same. Some other totally awesome freshmen are gonna sit there at some point.”

            Kim dug into her purse and looked around. A small silver bar came out and.

            Flickflickflick

A blade appeared from nowhere and Kim was scrawling a line in the concrete.

“KIM!” Beth cried.

“Keep it down, will ya?” Kim hushed. It took longer than she wanted it to, but there was soon a guitar and a cupcake crudely drawn into the table.

“I marked it.” Kim looked at Bobbie. “Now it’s mine.”

The laugh started and continued long after they walked away into the afternoon sun.

 ***

“You have got to be kidding.” Bobbie said, looking at the order sheet. “We have to stop taking orders. Start a waiting list or something, five thousand beavers jacked up on meth and coffee couldn’t keep up with this. Standing orders, sell through. Holy shit.”

“Toldja, we’re a hit.”

“Fruit pies?” Bobbie was on the fourth page of orders, “Looks like we’re gonna have to put in a little overtime on this one…”

“Yeah. Got some growers that want to sell them along with the fruit at some of those stands they have on the highway. From what I hear, there’s no way they’ll lose money on it.”

“Two hundred and fifty Baklava?” Bobbie checked the client’s contact information.

“Yeah.” Tim continued. “You had some out at the Grand Opening? Well, the right people got ‘em. Here’s what’s funny…”

“Kratos Athenos?” Bobbie asked. “The Greek spot?”

Tim nodded. “Just like Yaya.” He shrugged. “You just make everything perfectly. Oh,” Tim said, snapping his fingers. “Almost forgot. I was watching this thing the other day. Did you know that they sell frozen Key Lime Pie on a stick, dipped in chocolate? We are so doing that.” Tim’s glee in figuring out a new menu item showed a tiny spark of Timmi behind his eyes.

“We call Steve, have him grab you two from school. We should be able to get the bulk of it finished. Thursday through Sunday we’re closed.”

Bobbie looked around. “Next week we’re going through all of this stuff and reorganizing everything.  This is going to be more work than I’ve ever done.”

“You nervous?”

“A little overwhelmed. We can only bake so many things at once.” She took a deep breath. “I must not fear.” She whispered.

“It is the mindkiller.” Tim smiled.

“The little death that brings total obliteration.” Bobbie continued.

They walked towards each other, wanting to this span of time. The litany against fear taking on true meaning.

For both of them.

“I will face my fear.”  They touched. “I will permit it to pass over me and through me.” They embraced. “And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.” They kissed

“Only I will remain.”

Their eyes smiled into each other.

Fzzt!

 ***

He inhaled hard on the joint, coughing. The other guys were already laughing at the jokes in the issue of Playboy he had stolen.

He drank that horrible tasting beer.

It was just something to do, everything was so boring. How many times could you play with your little sister before tea parties sounded like a great Friday night?

His dad up and decided to move to a small town to open a bakery. After a couple of years, it was almost ready to go.

Then Tim Flaherty made a phone call. It was such a small and simple thing, sure the party was far too wild…

But it was just a phone call.

Just one fucking phone call…

Then they were gone… Just gone. How could he go on with the knowledge of that one call?

That one gorram phone call.

Everything dropped away, no feeling… NO.

Can’t feel anymore… just can’t. A little bit of the beer and weed worked…

Want more…

JUST DON’T WANNA FEEL!

 ***

“Bobbie, you okay? You’re..” Tim’s words cut through everything.

Bobbie almost broke his ribs. “I’m so sorry.”

“About what?”

“Your dad,” Sob. “Your sister.”

“Hey, it’s over now.” He smoothed her hair. “What brought that on?”

She looked back and blinked the tears away.

“I… I see you.” All of the sadness of a year, squeezed to an infinitely tiny point.

“Bobbie? Avatar, now? And not even in the Na’vi?”

“No, I see you. Like inside… It’s never done that before…”

“What? I don’t…”

“I saw everything. You lived in Chicago?”

“After all this time you finally ask?”

 ***

English, the last final Bobbie would ever take.

It was odd. The windows were open, birds chirping outside. The smells of Summer were already in the air.

“Now, I know,” Ms. Boucher began. “That some of you are going to use the movie version for this…”

Bobbi felt the blush start to rise.

“But, this is more about how well you write, anyway. I’ll be reading all of these today, so if you want a good grade.”

“Stand out.”

She turned to the board and wrote. The last time I’ll  hear that. It was a strange thing, noticing how different the scritch of the chalk sounded from the squeaky glide of a dry erase board.

Which character do you most identify with: Elinor, John, Mariane, or Edward?

Why?

Bobbie nearly laughed. There was a little bit of each of them in her. Reserved Elinor, Romantic Marianne, Dashing John…

Secretive Edward.

It started with a sentence, which grew to a paragraph. Before Bobbie knew it, she had an epic couple of pages.

Pages that told the tale of secrets kept, and romance felt. The whole essay seemed to be how she identified with all of them in their own way. Her experiences during this last year in school showing her everything on a level she could have never have comprehended prior to this.

Male and female…

Advocate and Thrall…

Justice and Lust…

Melanie and Robb…

Roxx and I…

She had felt and given love, been both paragon and pariah.

…see what you’re fighting against…

Bobbie finished her paper and waited to hand it in. It was a short wait, The papers were placed on Ms. Boucher’s desk as the students left the class for the last time.

“Have a good Summer, and good luck out there.” She smiled.

Bobbie was in a daze as she walked to her locker. The old paint still standing out in its dull glory, disguising the neon within. Even the memories of the Spring Musical only made her thought of Tim putting his jacket around her.

There were broken pencils and a couple of forgotten pens. Scraps of paper from notes and various places over the year. It looked so different now that the books had been emptied out, now there was only the hollow space. She shut the door with a satisfying click and put the lock in her purse.

 ***

Bobbie noticed the flyer in the front of the window.

Have you seen me?

The picture under it was too familiar. Mary.

“Tim? What’s with the Missing flyer?”

“This.” Tim put the paper down on the counter.

4 FOUND DEAD IN DRUG HOUSE

“I don’t…”

“Read.”

The article went on to explain how the bodies found were extremely dehydrated and in a state the coroner had jokingly referred to as mummification. The amount of high grade crystal meth found at the scene seemed to answer the question, but word would have to come back from the lab.

“Weird shit? Drugs? Missing people? If that’s not Roxx…”

Tim watched as Bobbie’s jaw clenched.

            “Look.” Tim started. “I’ve been around the block a couple of times with this shit. I love you, and I’m in this with you for the long haul. But, I don’t wanna look over my shoulder wondering what else she’s gonna do. Timmi shouldn’t have to happen to anyone. Anything we can do to help. Not sure you can do anything about her directly. But, I guess fighting to win isn’t the idea here, is it?”

Bobbie cocked her head.

“Fight to tie. She’ll have to screw up sometime, and when she does…”

Bobbie quirked an eyebrow, exasperated. “How am I supposed to…?”

“How are you not?” Tim looked at her evenly. “You weren’t sure about anything, but you were always right. And now that school’s over?”

Bobbie looked back at the newspaper. “It would help if I knew exactly what she was up to.”

“I know.” Tim said. “But she can’t hide forever.”

 ***

Roxx was reading the same headline. It seemed to her that the experiment was a success, Mel was here.

Shame about the others, though. I could have used them.

Lust had allowed her to see behind the curtain just enough to figure some small things out, those small things led to bigger things. Now? Simply knowing how the power worked gave Roxx just the edge she needed to keep the club running and keeping her at the top of the food chain. There were a few more girls that she’d need, but that would be simple. Roxx was nothing if not very persuasive.

Rumors of a party being held out at the graveyard had begun circulating. Parties meant ‘party favors’, and that meant Roxx had a presence at nearly every party in Delacroix.

Definitely should check out the new talent.

Roxx hadn’t been to a party in a while. Maybe a break is just what the doctor ordered.

…or a working vacation.

All the students would be there. Maybe the club could just be the beginning. All of Delacroix hooked on Roxx?

Maybe…hmmm… Thoughts of carving out Delacroix as her own just seemed so perfect.

It was a good day to be a bad girl.

But then,  wasn’t everyday?

***

“Cereal?” Kim asked. “No Eggs Florentine or overstuffed breakfast burritos?”

Bobbie swirled her spoon in the air. “Not today. We’ve got a lot of stuff to get done tonight; all the orders have to go out. We’re not open again after today until Saturday.”

“Are you excited?” Kim asked, pouring coffee into a mug proclaiming ‘Where is my FUCKING coffee?’

“Maybe. I just don’t know?”

“Oh, come on. Graduation?” Kim said, savoring that first sip. “You didn’t do it last time, now you get to. You should be losing your fucking mind.”

“Already lost it once.” Crunch. “Just glad I finally found it.”

Kim looked puzzled. “Do you really wanna forget Robb?”

Bobbie sighed as she set down her spoon. “Yeah. What did he do? He made you cry, screwed mom up more… Justice did more for me than I think even she knows. Not forget I guess, but Bobbie’s here now. I like it this way. What did I have before? Robberies with Mel? Overdose one day?” Bobbie shook her head as she lifted the bowl

“It seems like it was kind of messed up. That whole life. Once I woke up as Bobbie, I felt different. After I let her talk me into making that damn video.”

“Yeah?” Kim leaned forward. “But if it wasn’t for that , where would be? Where would have you gone if you didn’t come here? Face it, you can try to forget…”

“But you can’t. So you fucked up, who is gonna notice. Or hell, even believe it?”

“Obviously it’s all still here.” She pointed at her head. “But that’s all?”

“Ask me a movie question.”

Kim snapped her fingers. “How many stuntmen in Die Hard?” She didn’t know, and c.ouldn’t verify it.

“34.” Bobbie said from the kitchen, refilling her mug. “He didn’t graduate. I will.” Bobbie stirred the half and half in. “What’s not better about this? You guys all like Tim, Mom is cool with me. Gonna be weird sharing a room with you again.

“That just sounds like some Adult Swim shit.”

“Morning.” Sylvia ran her hand over a shoulder. “No breakfast today?”

Kim raised the box and offered it to Sylvia.

“No milk either, making do with coffee” Bobbie said. “Not like I’m doing a lot today. Just a lot of standing in line. It’s going to be hectic, but today is the last day.

“You gonna miss Delacroix?” Kim asked.

“Who ever said I was leaving? You should see the order sheets. Jesus, there’s so much coming out right now, we may need to hire a third person. It’s getting a little nuts already.”

“I’m just glad that it’s taking off.  We’re supposed to go van shopping this weekend. Now we wait for the day Cupcake Wars comes back. After school today I need to run back to the bakery, we need to get started. One of the restaurants wanted some Challah bread. Said we didn’t have any today but we will in the morning.

“Looks like I’m kind of set with the world as my oyster.” Bobbie smiled confidently.

“Ooh, mom… I was wondering if you still had those clippers…”

“Nooo, Kim. I like your hair.” Sylvia stopped blowing on the mug.

“No, not for me. For Heather. She wants to do some kind of spiderweb thing of the side of her head.” Kim set down her mug. “The Mad Men style is here for a while.”

Sylvia laughed.

“So you haven’t really told me…”

“What.” Bobbie asked.

“How was Prom?”

 ***

“You’d think that there would be an easier way to do this.  Can’t there just be an app for that?” Bella and Heather walked off to the first table that had the History Department.

“Miss Sharpe. Have to tell you, it was a pleasure having you. Not many know about the Mormon War of 1857, or that Samuel Hutchinson was the First President.”

Bobbie smiled and accepted her A. “Don’t ever play Trivial Pursuit with me.”

Ms. Wohlmuth laughed. “I bet, see you at the bakery.”

Heather got her B and followed Bobbie to the Math table. There was an empty seat, Mr. Agee hadn’t been seen if a few days. If it wasn’t for the test questions he left in the drawer an entire class wouldn’t have been able to move into the next class. But it looked like Mr. Barnard, the department head was taking care of it, being his usual jovial self.

Zoe caught up with them at the English table. Ms. Boucher sat there and pulled paperwork and filled out the report cards as the students came by one at a time.

“Hey, Bobbie.” Zoe said, smiling a little more than usual. “How you doing?”

“Couple of As couple of Bs Kind of all depends on English.”

“Can’t fail English. I mean, we speak it, right?” Nervous laughter rebounded around them.

“Bobbie.” Ms Boucher said as she approached the table. “ I liked your essay a lot. Everyone just picked a character and explained how they do similar things. But yours? Yours was just brilliant. Showing how everyone has a little bit of everything inside them.” Good study on the dual nature of man.”

“You could be a great writer.” Ms. Boucher shook her head. “I’ve had those goodies of yours, though. Just keep the writing in mind if the world stops eating.”

Bobbie smiled warmly at this, the last teacher. In an afternoon of lines for this grade or that one; turning in books. For the whole of her life, she always associated the return of books with the last day. But now, it seems like the teachers collected them early.

Some things always change.

“Some always stay the same.” Bobbie whispered. She walked around with her report card in her hand, dazed. The mountain had been crashed into, the explosion had happened, firefighters finally away after clearing out. The serene quiet inside her head made the world a complete place, even more complete than…

Wish Tim was here. She felt the phantom warmth in her hand.

“Hey!” Bobbie heard a yell, breaking her from Fantasyland. She turned to see Kim, Heather and Zoe standing there. “Where are you going?”

“Home, I guess. I mean, it’s all over. Yeah there’s the walk and everything, but…”

Heather hugged Bobbie. “I know. After all this time it’s just…”

Bobbie looked deep into Heather’s eyes. A buzzing began.

Fzzt!

 ***

She looked at her Facebook screen and saw this cute brown haired girl… Kim Pointe. She was a bass player looking to join a band.

The friend button was clicked immediately. There was something about her. She was cute; but her style was all wrong. Like someone tried to hide the obvious anger bubbling below the surface.

That girl Bella in my English class, she’s a drummer… she seems jake.

Well, a band does sound fun.

Oh, shut up you know that this is just an excuse to…

This is just too confusing, I swear. I mean I just wanna like boys like everyone else…

Why can’t I?

 ***

“Bobbie?” Heather asked. “Are you okay?”

“Fine.” She said, blinking. “Just still a little blown away.”

“Well, come on. Sounds like there’s some caffeine in your future.”

“Ooh, Daily Grind? Hell yeah.” Zoe said. “That Borgia is just… mmmm. Such a time saver too, OJ and coffee in one cup?”

“I know, right?” Kim burst out.

What is that? That’s the second time that’s happened.

Bobbie followed the trio to the parking lot, too many things happening inside her head.

“I’ll see you guys there.” Zoe said, climbing into her SUV. The engine roared to life and rolled backwards,

Bobbie got into the back of Heather’s car and swiped a familiar pattern.

Tim, meet me at Daily Grind?

She stared at the phone for most of the ride, ignoring Kim and Heather’s conversation.

 ***

Tim put the kickstand down and reassured himself that Bobbie’s helmet was locked to the back. He liked these minimum days. Removing his helmet and securing it, he entered through the heavy glass door.

“Tim.” Gilda said. “Good to see you again.”

“Good to be here.” Tim said, smiling. “Lemme get two dirty blondies.”

“You got it. Where’s Bobbie?”

“Oh, she’s on her way. She got her report card today.”

“That’s right.” Gilda exploded. “Graduation’s tomorrow. Shame you had to drop out.”

Tim shook his head. “Still walking. Finished all the work in time.”

Gilda’s mouth hung open. “Nice.”

“I made it, thanks to Bobbie.”

“She is special.” Gilda said, ringing up his purchases.

Tim took a seat at one of the round tables that dotted the serving area.

Bobbie and the gang came in shortly after Tim sat with the two cups of hot stimulation.

When she walked in, Tim could see nothing else.

There she is. He smiled. “Bobbie.” Tim shot his hand up and wagged it to and fro. She turned to him and broadcast a smile that was sure to be too intense for mere satellite signals.

He rose as she came to the table. “Hey there, graduate.” His hands went to her waist.

“Hey there yourself.” Bobbie moved forward and completed the hug.

When they broke, their hands stayed connected.

“So is this the table? Or are you two just gonna be a roadblock?” Kim asked, grinning.

Bobbie turned around and saw that the others already had their orders made and delivered.

How long have we been standing there? Tim thought.

Everyone sat. cups lining the table.

“Glad that shit’s over.” Heather said.

“Speak for yourself.” Kim shot back, taking a drink. “Still got two more years in maximum security.”

“You’ll wish for that time back in about two years.” Zoe said, just holding the cup and feeling the heat in between her fingers.

“Nah.” Kim waved her hand at Zoe.

Tim laughed with Bobbie’s friends.  My friends, too. The last year had been one hell of a rollercoaster. From depression and drugs…

To Bobbie. He found himself staring at her often.

“What?” She said when she caught him.

“Nothing.” He smiled. “We made it. Oh, that’s right.”

“I’ll be by to pick you up in the morning.”

Bobbie looked at him, puzzled.

“Graduation rehearsal, remember?”

The look persisted.

“I have to be there. I’m walking, remember?”

She didn’t, and that was the greatest surprise she’d had in some time. Bobbie threw her arms around Tim and planted a kiss on his cheek.

“EEEE!” Kim squealed.

Bobbie and Tim looked over at her.

“Tension breaker, had to be done.”

Everyone laughed. They drank their coffees and talked about what the summer would look like for each of them. Bobbie didn’t listen. Her summer was obvious. A lot of time at the bakery…

And a lot of time with Tim.

 ***

CLANG!!

Bobbie recognized that sound and it filled her with calm. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

“Bobbie?” A voice came from her left.

She opened her eyes and snapped her head towards the sound.

It was Rach.

“Rach…”

“Hello again.” They heard the voice before they saw her. Justice.

“Justice.” Bobbie said. “What’s happening? Why do I keep seeing…”

“You saw it?” Justice smiled. “Wonderful. You are seeing their greatest conflict; the thing from which all of their problems stem. It is important for you to see that. Sometimes, it is the only way to truly see what is wrong.”

Rach looked around. “I haven’t seen anything.”

“You will, when you are ready.” Justice said.

“Ready?” Bobbie asked.

“Yes, child.” Justice nodded. “You have been through many trials and tribulations since we first met…”

“And you have done well. This is just the last step.”

“Last step?”

“Bobbie,” Rach rolled her eyes. “This is gonna take a long time if you just keep repeating the last two words she says over and over again.

“Yes. You are truly the Advocate now; able to see and discern people’s pain. I no longer worry over Lust, you are well armed.”

“But, the one you call Roxx?” Justice’s face became serious.

“She is using talents she has no business using. She will threaten the balance just by simply being.”

Bobbie thought about Roxx’s meteoric rise to crime boss. Perfect job for a Thrall.

“Yes. She will cause problems. I know you can… how do you say it? Keep the dung at sandal level?”

Rach laughed. “I think I know what you mean.”

“Good, Bobbie the town you live in? You have made it a better place.”

“I just bake things.”

“Yes, you do. But you put so much of yourself in everything you do. Those things you bake help people on a level below your understanding. But know this, the way in which you affect people? It is the most base level. It rebuilds their being from the ground up. All the positive things that happen? It is you, and only you.”

Bobbie let her jaw dropped, shocked.

“It has been only you all along. You settled into your new life, and became what you are supposed to be. Had I interfered…”

Realization dawned. Everything, the bakery, Tim, my friends…

…Faye.

“As I told Faye. I could not help you. If someone came to your village and said ‘only you can slay the dragon’ what would you do?”

Bobbie thought about it for a moment. “Probably run and hide.”

“Exactly what I said.” Justice smiled.

“You are finally ready. It is good to see you ready for your rite of passage. You have done well, I see no reason to expect less from you, Rach.”

Rach was studying her nails. “Good. Because who knows what’ll happen at school without an Advocate there.”

Bobbie grinned. “You think you can take over for me?”

“Of course. The Blue can do!”

Justice smiled. Bobbie moved forward. “Justice.” She said, hugging her close. “I can’t thank you enough. I really can’t. You’ve given me back everything I ever lost, and then some. And Tim…” Bobbie was babbling breathlessly.

“Love is a wonderful feeling, is it not?”

Bobbie levered back to met the blue gaze with her own.

Bobbie’s composure came back instantly. “Better than any feeling I’ve ever had.”

“No need to thank, your work is enough.”

“Work?” Bobbie asked. “I don’t understand.”

Justice laughed. “Everything you’ve done as Bobbie has been a boon to this town. The ripples of which will continue to spread long after your time in Delacroix is over.”

“Over?” Bobbie physically jumped back.

The smile continued. “Nothing lasts forever.”

“Are you always this vague?” Rach asked.

“This is not a story. You must find your own ending.”

“You know, you don’t look Chinese. But, you sure do sound like a fortune cookie.”

“Fortune cookies are American.” Bobbie shot unexpectedly.

Rach sighed.

“Your time will yet come, Rachael.” Justice panned her gaze.

“Look forward to kicking a little ass.”

“Be wary of Roxx.” Justice said evenly. “I know not what she is up to, and that troubles me.”

“Don’t worry too much.” Bobbie pressed her lips together.

“She’s mine. I may not be able to beat her, but I can at least keep that wrecking ball safely out in the open.”

“Of that, I have no doubt.”

“You have much to do, the two of you.” Justice cocked her head. “We may not speak again for some time, Bobbie. Go on, and do what you are meant to do.”

Bobbie went to hug Justice one last time…

But came away awake as her arms caught nothing but the vapor of her last exhalation.

Chapter 96

Kim was staring at Lust, right in the face.

“You’re going to be amazing when you age.” Lust’s eyes seemed hollow, black sockets leaking black ichor down her face.

“What do you want now?” Kim snapped. “I’ve had enough of this. Seriously…”

“SILENCE!” Lust roared. Kim felt a familiar tightening. “I can’t find Roxx, which makes you my messenger.”

The heat rose in Kim’s face. “How am I supposed to…? Oooh.” Kim gritted her teeth against the sudden arousal.

“I know all about your skills. Think of something.”

Oooooohhhhhhh!

Kim jolted awake and pulled on her blackest clothes. Alright, bitch. I’ll drop off your message.

Besides, I kind of owe her, anyway.

Kim was out of the window and down to the ground stealthily.

“I really don’t wanna do this. How in the hell are they out of contact?” Kim had more questions than answers, and she wanted to reverse that situation quickly.

She had shit to do.

 ***

Stacy looked down at the card she had gotten for Zoe.  Congratulations, Brat; her script on the card was clean. She moved her pen and continued.

You may have made it without me, but you’ll always be my kid sister

Stacy

A smile started to make the sides of her mouth creak.

She flipped the card closed, Johnny Cash giving the reader the full fuck you finger. Stacy laughed in low tones; her graduation had been special the previous year.  One of those nights where the world was yours.

Top of the pyramid, Ma.

Thoughts of picking up where she left off in the hierarchy of cool crammed into her brain like so many study facts had been scattered by the new environment as she struggled to find her way in a world that was much less clearly defined.

But Zoe had done it all alone. Bucking systems that no one even knew about, either flying under the radar or scattering it altogether; she had mellowed out a little once Valentine came into her life.

Stacy decided that she would bury the hatchet completely. Zoe was different that morning after her run in with Zia at the coffee shop, less so in the days after. Graduation seemed to change everyone, some for the better, some for the worse.

But everyone realizing nothing would be the same.

She took a biology class that semester and learned about spiders. The one she remembered the most was the Australian Redback. Its thick, red stripe marking it different and less venomous than its distant American cousin. Fast and vicious, its bite was deadly without rapid treatment. Christ, that whole country is like the Hunger Games for real.

Much like the girl that grew up with her.

She eyed the sticker she bought to go on the helmet for that crotch rocket her daddy had gotten her. The unmistakable outline of the Redback with its thick black nearly glowed a dull crimson. Stacy took her pen and spit the cap across the room.

Zoe, the Redback spider is one of the most dangerous spiders in the world. Its sting can be deadly without proper treatment…

Just like you. Thought this should go on the back of your helmet.

Stacy crept downstairs and placed the items gently on the table in front of the seat she favored on the breakfast nook.

Hope your day is a good one. It would be nice having her back, now that they were both adults.

Maybe the world would be theirs after all.

 ***

Kim had one hairpin pushing down the lock core, and the one she was using as the rake was moving the tumblers into place.

Not as quickly as she would like, but…

POP!

The satisfying sound made Kim switch gears, rotating the whole mechanism to the right. She felt the latch give and the lock bar retract.

The door opened, and Kim could smell the marijuana and the spicy aroma of something else.

Opium?

Kim was immediately lightheaded from the fumes and pulled her spare headscarf from her clutch. Keeping it over her mouth, Kim ducked through the passage and found the narrow staircase that led to the storage area opposite the kitchen.

The building seemed oppressive, now more so than ever. It seemed to press on her soul. She snuck past the side of the stage, no one noticed as they stared at the stage. Stealing a glance, Kim recognized Marks.

More than one.

What the hell? Lust never mentioned a den of Thralls.

That means she doesn’t know.

Roxx had obviously used some of whatever power Lust gave her to spread herself out. Taking over the building had given her…

Something. But Kim would be damned if she knew exactly what it was.

Kim was finally upstairs. She could see Roxx sitting there with that massive bodyguard of hers. Roxx turned her head to the man, who spoke into his collar. The slab of muscle got up and walked away.

Now or never.

Kim sidled up to the booth and popped up beside Roxx.

“Our mutual friend wants a word.”

“Kim.” Roxx said invitingly, as if she knew Kim was there. “Here for a job?”

“Fuck no.” Kim spat. “Just here to drop off a message and go. What’s with the matching tattoos?” She gestured down to the stage.

“What it looks like. Pretty sure She can’t hear me.”

“Are you sure you wanna be on the wrong side?” Roxx looked a little tired, she also looked like that cat.

The one that had your tongue.

“Wrong side? I’m only on one side… mine.” Kim said defiantly. “Did my job. I’ll show myself out.” Kim turned to leave, almost strutting with no pretense of fear.

Roxx raised a hand. “Oh no, you don’t.”

Kim felt it instantly; the tightening, the heat…

The throbbing. She did her best to walk straight. Gritting her teeth together, she made her steps slower, more even. The floor kept threatening to smack her in the face.

Flip the handle open, spin the other side, flip it back.

“Unnnn…” Kim was straining to keep the sound in. Roxx’s laughter in the background.

Inhaling through her nose evenly, Kim started to steady herself.

Steps became easier as Kim rounded the bend and let gravity help her down the stairs. By the time she left the building, she was feeling a familiar lightness.

A giggliness.

Fuck, contact high? Of all the things…

What does the color blue taste like?

 ***

Roxx was impressed. It was the first time she had known Kim to exhibit any kind of self control. The idea of having two Thralls with their own agendas might work at cross purposes.

No time to be worried now. Go ahead, set ‘em up.

I’ll knock ‘em down.

 ***

Kim shook her head and made her way home. Turning the final corner, everything around her grew cold. There was a smell… a blackness.

Lust!

“Good girl.” She said the black of her eyes almost luminous.

“She’s…”

“Yes, I see. Almost as bad as that insufferable Advocate.”

“Watch it.” Kim snapped. “That’s my sister.”

“Nobody’s perfect.”

Kim grimaced.

“So, she’s figured out how to play with the big girl toys. No one’s done that before.” Lust wondered how she had done it. Such knowledge would be valuable.

“That’s all I know. Can I go now?”

Lust contemplated keeping Kim around a bit longer, but decided against it. The best use of time now is to discover Roxx’s intent. She waved a hand and the warmth returned, driving away the smell of corruption.

“Being a teenager sucks.” Kim murmured.

 ***

Bobbie was awake, refreshed; the dream still fresh in her head. She felt imbued with strength. She opened the window and…

Kim?

The spry girl was vaulting herself onto the roof near her window. Bobbie turned and crept into Kim’s room.

“Kim.” Bobbie whispered harshly. “What the hell?”

“Lust.” Kim yawned. “She made me go see Roxx.”

Bobbie turned white. “Roxx?” Her eyes narrowed. “You’re high.”

“No… sort of… I didn’t….” Kim stammered. “There was so much smoke down there. I think there was some Opium or something. I dunno. But there’s a bunch of girls there I don’t know.”

“Of course not.”

“Not what I mean.” Kim yawned again.

“They’re Marked.” Kim said, removing the semi ninja outfit. “And not by Lust. I don’t get it all yet, but it’s not good.” She crawled into bed.

“Just let me get some sleep. I need to get up in a minute.”

Kim was asleep before she hit the pillow.

 ***

Tim was bristling with excitement, opening the bakery for a short day left him filled with optimism.

Today’s the day.

Graduation. A day he had been waiting for.

And now, not only did he get to walk, despite his dropping out. He got to spend it with Bobbie, the diploma wouldn’t mean as much without her there. Like it doesn’t count.

Bobbie’s revelation about her past gave Tim pause. If it wasn’t for Timmi, I’d never believe it.

But now?

She hadn’t told him, but jeez, why would she? He wished she had told him sooner, but how would he have reacted?

He didn’t know, and knowing Bobbie the way he did.

I really don’t care, how can I? He could only imagine how difficult it must have been to approach him that day at Slacker’s Cove.

 You don’t know you’re beautiful. Bobbie’s ringtone played in his mind as he smiled.

He thought about the future beyond that day with Bobbie.

The door opened.

“Morning, Officers. What can I get you today?”

“Being that cheerful this early is a hanging offense.” Hobson said, handing over a coffee.

“Thanks.” Tim laughed. “Can’t help it. Graduation day, closing early and everything.”

“Yeah. You dropped out? You’re still graduating? And… how do you find the time?” Hudson asked. There was fresh pastry almost every day, and the quality never wavered.

“Y’know?” Tim looked past them. “It doesn’t seem like work.” Thoughts of Bobbie through Cheepskates short history played memories like a montage.

They will see us swinging from such great heights…

“Not when Bobbie’s here.”

He looked towards the ovens.

Don’t count the miles…

“Well, now that you two have graduated. It’ll seem like less work.” Hudson said. “Congratulations.” He shook Tim’s hand, followed by Hobson.

“You’re probably right, though. Business looks solid all summer.”

“Wish I had your energy. When I punch out, all I want is for someone to take me home in a stretcher.”

Tim laughed.

“Congratulations again.” Hobson said as Tim handed over one loaf of banana bread, and one of zucchini bread.

“See you in a couple days, Graduate.”

“I’ll be here.”

 ***

“Is Kim still asleep?” Sylvia asked, grabbing a piece of French toast.

“Yeah. Must have been studying all night, finals.”

“Oh god, I remember one year, Robb was so cranked on coffee that he passed out in the car on the way to school.” Sylvia smiled at the memory.

Bobbie blanched. She remembers that?

“I really have to believe that you did help him. I’m glad he found you; I hope that That Girl gets what she deserves. I kind of understand, Jeff was a bit of a bad boy.”

Bobbie had a hard time imagining that. And for a moment, Bobbie and Robb coexisted equally. The memories of that other life, so far removed from Bobbie, who didn’t have those memories.

Learning to ride a bike…

Tying my shoes…

Learning to write.

She remembered Sylvia working with Robb on his colors, shapes.

The celebratory box of Cracker Jacks when he figured out a math problem…

“She will, absolutely. Everyone eventually does.” Bobbie said.

“Eventually. Let’s not worry about it today. This is your day, one of those days you’ll always remember. I’ll clean up, you should get ready. Don’t wanna be late on your last day.”

Bobbie smiled and headed upstairs. Even though it felt like another day.

She knew it was anything but.

 ***

Bobbie zipped the white robe up; looked at the mortarboard cap. The entire Senior class stood on the football field staring at the blue and white benches that were dedicated to the conquests of the Blue Devils.

A small commotion erupted over to Bobbie’s right. She turned to look and found Tim at the center, sprawled in a heap. She went for him and offered a hand to help him up.

“No matter where I am, there you are, huh?” Tim said, getting his legs under him. Bobbie smiled. Damn that party was a long time ago.

“Tripped over this stupid robe.” His was blue, as were the other boys’ robes.  “You should be wearing this one.”

Bobbie crinkled her face.

“Because it’s blue.”

“STUDENTS.” Principal Michaelson said over the PA system. “Welcome to Graduation practice. Ms. Goolsbee will be coming around and showing you your places in a moment. But first, we’d like a picture of the graduating class. So if you could line up in four rows…”

Bobbie was holding Tim’s hand as they looked around the field for one of the last times they would ever see it from this perspective in the daylight.

Bobbie was entranced by the buzzing darknesses that she had come to know so well. Seeing so many people together made her a little dizzy.

But she couldn’t deny what she saw. A large group of people that had assembled there that morning, people she had seen in the halls and her classes all year.

Ready to move on.

Standing there with Tim kept her grounded as the students practiced the simple ceremony. The rest of that day would be busy with all the running around everyone had to do. The serenity on the field that day was so calming, so enveloping, that Bobbie’s smile wouldn’t go away. When they finally left and turned their robes in until that night, the world shined with the sleek glow of possibility.

 Bobbie was still somewhat giddy as they pulled into Slice of PI. Tim got off the Vespa and helped Bobbie to the ground.

“Couple of slices and some wings, then… naptime.”

“Naptime?” Bobbie asked, removing her helmet.

“Yeah. I know that parties tend to run late.” Tim laughed. “At least they used to, what did they do back in your day?”

“My day?” Bobbie shot back, she straightened the blue film reel barette and followed Tim to the door.

“This is my day.”

A banner had been hung over the door, ‘CONGRADUATIONS’ it said.

“We’re a real part of this town now.” Tim said. “Never thought I’d feel that way.”

“Me neither.” Bobbie echoed.

“Hey, you two. Congrats. What’s the last meal gonna be today?” The cashier asked, all bright smiles.

“One Supreme and one… Bobbie?”

“Chicken Inferno?” She asked.

The cashier looked at her oddly. “That has habaneros on it.”

“I know.” Bobbie shrugged. “Just feel like something spicy.”

Tim turned to her and whispered. “That’s later.”

 ***

Roxx had gotten the new batches to her runners, and held some back.

“Big party tonight out at the graveyard. Sell cheap.”

She smiled evilly, knowing that her instructions would be heeded. No one wanted the Krasnaya V’edma coming for them.

Those bodies at the drug house had done more for her reputation than she could have thought possible. Might have to break a few more eggs.

She was looking through her clothes; something sexy.

If the things she was doing would keep Lust away, then she’d keep it up.

Parties were fun, even more fun when some work could get done at the same time.

Graduation had never been a part of Mel’s life, and Roxx had no need for it.

But, tainting that memory for Bobbie would be worth it. Watching her take the hits badly was becoming her favorite full contact sport.

And now that she has to deal with Timmi… well, that just makes everything even funnier.

Parties are fun… and even the wicked need some fun sometimes.

Roxx was a good sport; she’d even bring the beer.

 ***

Kim was late to class, and despite drinking enough coffee to kill a large water mammal, she was still barely awake. The contact high was still lingering, making focused thought foggy. The tests weren’t that difficult, and she managed to make it through, but she remained worried about those other Marked girls.

If Roxx is Marking them, we’re in for a whole lot of trouble. And if Lust can’t get to her…

Kim tried not to think about it as the need for nicotine rose.

 ***

Bobbie woke up with Tim’s arms around her. She looked around with a start, the DVD player running a looping version of the menu screen.

“Tim!” Bobbie blurted, shaking him up.

“Huh… wha…” Tim’s eyes stopped moving and settled on Bobbie, he smiled. “Oh, must have dozed off just after you did.”

“What time is it?” Bobbie asked, threatening to go into full freakout mode.

“Um…” Tim looked at his phone. “Three?”

“We’ve only got a couple of hours?”

“Let me run you home and…”

“No time. Grab your clothes, you can shower at my place.”

“Hey, hey. Hold your horses, it’s just…”

Bobbie leveled those blue eyes at Tim. “Robb didn’t. I am… this is just too important to…”

“Shh. I get it.” Tim put his hands out defensively. “I’ll be right back.” He was off down the hallway and grabbing his things in a whirl of movement.

Bobbie agreed to wear the backpack so his clothes wouldn’t get too wrinkled.

“All aboard!” Tim called, Bobbie laughed. When the engine roared to life, Bobbie got her arms around Tim as she settled into her favorite place.

Going to the place that she at one time had thought she could never go again.

Home.

Chapter 97

Roy was bringing boxes into the house when Tim and Bobbie pulled into the driveway.

“Hey, you two.” He said to Tim.

“Morning… evening… ah, hell. I don’t even know what time it is anymore.”

“Hi, Mr. Rivers. It’s graduation time!” Bobbie said, pulling off the helmet and almost running into the house.

“You know Bobbie.” Tim shrugged. “She does what she does.”

Roy laughed. “And always with a plan.”

“Need some help? I can grab one of those boxes.” Tim said as he did so.

“Thanks. Do you ever stop working?”

 ***

Kim had been finally moved through the fog of the previous night. She was now to the point where she didn’t know who was worse.

Lust…

Or Roxx?

 Too many Thralls. Even Lust thought so apparently.

And the thought of Roxx having any semblance of power similar to her own?

Inconcievable.

She neeed to get home and squeeze herself into that uniform for the party, then there was the hasty setup and soundcheck while Plugman got his setup together. It was to be a fast and crazy evening.

And yet, Kim Pointe would… Soldier On.

 ***

“Heather?”

“Yeah, Mom?”

Betty was looking for the car keys.

“You see the keys?”

“Yeah. I have them.” Heather came out of the hallway.

Her outfit would have been at home at a meeting for covert ops professionals. All in tactical black, the tight fitting outfit had pouches that knowing Heather was nothing if not practical. The newly shaved spiderweb lines radiated out from her right ear.

“I love that outfit, hang on.” She pulled out her phone. “I want some pictures.”

“Wait till you see the others.” Heather said coyly.

Betty looked at her daughter, she had become quite a young lady over the last year and a half. And looking at the articles of clothing around the house, she knew there was a bright future ahead. Going back to Auckland would only show her that Heather was doing what she was meant to do.

Be herself.

 ***

The sun was three quarters of its arc through the sky as the remaining light fell on the football field that night. Folding chairs were fanned out on both sides of the small stage that had been erected since that morning. Instruments glinted in the remaining sunlight.

“Parents, students, and guests. I’m Principal Michaelson and welcome to Delacroix High’s 2014 Graduation ceremony. These students have put in a lot of work to be here tonight…”

Bobbie was half listening, she swung her vision around the field, looking at the mass of people huddled or sitting on the bleachers. The people were behind the gauzy, filmy darkness. Being in the halls of the school, Bobbie had grown accustomed to seeing a miasma of darknesses.

But, this was different.

It was like a moving tapestry, showing pasts and futures…

All presented in the dynamic matrix of the present, Bobbie gasped inaudibly.

She saw, completely. On a scale and scope through which she had never seen.

The ripples Justice had spoken of were here, now, in magnificent bands of twisting, erupting bits of light that seemed superimposed against the darkness. She couldn’t take her eyes from it. It was what she imagined looking at the ceiling of the Sistene Chapel must be like; an incredible amount of beauty in such a small space.

Faces, names, familiar darknesses. She even recognized some of those far away faces by their pastry order. She could see what Delacroix had been like before; that drab, dreary place that was home to Robb. It was different, happier…

Brighter. Her eyes filmed with tears as she found herslf drowning in the beauty of the tapestry.

“Bobbie?” Tim whispered, he reached out and took her hand. “Every…?”

“Everything’s fine.” She smiled without taking her eyes from the amazing work of art that she had orchestrated.

 ***

Veronica Marquez was reading her Valedictory speech. Being one of the smartest students in her grade, she had opted to let someone else write her speech for her. It seemed to be going well.

So...
be your name Buxbaum or Bixby or Bray
or Mordecai Ali Van Allen O'Shea,
You're off the Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So...get on your way!

The crowd cheered thunderously as the band began to pipe up and rumble to life.

Slightly off key.

The opening strains of Pomp and Circumstance rose like a phoenix tired of sifting through ashes.  Principal Michaelson was going through the first of the names as the first two rows lined up single file.

Bobbie was entranced, the tapestry of people’s needs for the first quieted to a level that didn’t seem so all encompassing. So transfixed she was, she nearly missed standing with the rest of her row.

 ***

Sylvia watched Bobbie get up and walk to the line with the rest of the group she stood with. She was having a hard time keeping the excitement inside. She wanted to scream and shout and stamp her feet.

I didn’t get to do this with Robb. Bobbie gets double.

“Bobbie Sharpe.”

”WOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOO!!! BOBBIEEEEE! YEAH!!!” Sylvia became a tween boy band fan screaming after The Beatles.

“BOBBIEEEEE!” Kim followed suit. Arms up in the air, waving around.

Just don’t care.

  ***

Bobbie climbed the steps evenly, the robe swishing around her legs. How does Justice live in these? The hollow thump of the steps bringing this moment closer one picosecond at a time.

Principal Michaelson was there smiling with a rolled up piece of paper in his hand.

Bobbie extended her hands, shaking the principal’s hand with one…

And accepting the scroll with the other.

All of her adrenaline bloomed as she raised the paper aloft with one raised hand.

The screams raised in volume for a moment as Bobbie continued across the stage and came back around to her seat to wait for the other lucky students to receive theirs.

 ***

“Kevin Yang.”

The last name was called and the line dwindled to nothing; graduates all returning like fingertips to the home position.

“As is tradition, at this time the graduates will now move the tassel from the right to the left.”

Bobbie grabbed her tassel and moved it from the right to the left.

“Ladies and gentlemen. I present to you the graduating class of two thousand and fourteen.”

As one, the graduates removed their caps and tossed them high into the air. Bobbie looked up, following hers and plucking it from the air deftly. She looked down to find Tim there, they grabbed each other magnetically. Kissing as a beautiful chaos built around them while caps rained down on them in slow, lazy spins.

The occupants of the bleachers came down in an orderly manner. A silence crept into Bobbie’s head as she noticed a complete lack of darkness.

None.

Bobbie swelled, the happiest moments of her life outshone any moment Robb ever had.

But Robb had to build the beginning, didn’t he?

Her hand was shaken so many times, there were so many hugs.

“BOBBIE!”

Sylvia was rushing towards her, they met into a tight hug.

“You did it!”

That was it, Tears came. Bobbie and Sylvia both looking at each other.

 Fzzt!

            There was so much to do and she couldn’t do any of it.

Jeff was gone. Fucking cancer.

Cooking held no more interest, nor did cleaning. The dust that had settled might still have some of Jeff in it. She knew it was stupid. But, was one more day too much to ask?

Just one more day.

Robb didn’t take it well, neither did Kim. She had found decapitated Barbie dolls in her trash can.

It wasn’t fair. It was supposed to be rewarding and fulfilling.

Now it was just hollow… empty.

He was her world, all she had. And now?

 ***

Bobbie cried harder. “I love you, mom.”

“I love you too, Bobbie.” Sylvia’s eyes were leaking more. “Just wish Robb could…”

“He can, mom.” Bobbie said, cutting Sylvia off as they hugged again.

“He can.”

“Jesus.” Kim said watching the tearfest. “Do I have the Spider Man 3 reenactment to look forward to, too?”

“Shut the fuck up, Kimster.” Bobbie said, sniffling.

“Just sayin.” Kim smiled as she hugged her sister. “Congratulations.”

Looking around, Betty was smiling with Heather, Tim with Myka.

“You alright?” Rach asked, coming up behind her.

“Yeah.” Bobbie said, dabbing at her eyes. “Do you see…”

Rach nodded. “Yeah.” Having spent less time discerning the meaning of the sight of an Advocate than Bobbie had, it reminded her of the way moonlight lapped on the waves of the ocean.

“It’s beautiful.” Bobbie wanted to print out this tiny piece of spacetime and frame it, make a blanket of it and wrap herself in it forever.

“Yeah.” Rach agreed, momentarily speechless.

She wondered if anything would ever be this good again.

Only thing I’ll ever ask of you..

Or if it even could.

Gotta promise not to stop till I say when…

            ***

Viggo was about three cables pluggings away from becoming Plugman, the daring DJ of Delacroix.

Laptop booted and three terabyte hard drive attached, He blared a quick drumline. The girls in the band were nice enough to let him hook into their sound board and PA system.

This is gonna be oh so loud. When Kim… Damn, she’s so hot.

Too bad she hooked up with Heather.

He found it weird that he’d never noticed her until a few weeks ago.

The girls that set up the keg were off to the side. They were hot as hell too, and that redhead with them, Roxx? She just disappeared one day, and now she’s back? It seemed a little strange.

Meh, free beer is free beer.

This party was shaping up to be one mighty fine shindig.

 ***

Bobbie and Tim reluctantly left the football field, it was like leaving Brigadoon. Watching the tapestry of light fade into the background left the surrounding world dreary. She kept trying to steal glances of it while holding on to Tim.

They were gonna party like they did in Zion.

Just with less slow motion.

It was going to be one hell of a night.

 ***

Kim sat in the passenger seat, fixing her makeup and securing the hat to her hair with another set of bobbie pins.

“Everything should be set up when we get there. The others probably started without us.” Heather said. “Right?”

“No party ever starts until we’re there.”

Heather honked the horn at the car that sat in front of her at the red light for a second too long.

“Come ON!” Heather hit the steering wheel.

 ***

Steve was looking forward to this one. His menu came off well, securing him a B+. No classes for a couple of weeks. A night of crazed dancing seemed like a fun night.

Beth looked over. “I can’t wait to graduate. Everyone seemed so happy.”

“It was always fun, for just about everyone. At least I think so.” How much fun was up for debate, it all depended on the company one kept.

The graveyard loomed a bit beyond the horizon.

 ***

Zoe had the accelerator all the way open, she felt the wheels leave the ground. She felt like she was flying in bullet time, suspended in the thick air.

BAP!

The wheels skidded for a fraction of a second as they reconnected with the ground; she felt the handlebars wobble side to side.

College would start in a few months. Taking a bunch of easy starter classes and having to start at the bottom of the food chain again just seemed tiring.

Two steps forward, one step back.

Maybe Stacy had a point. Maybe Zia could help navigate those lost passageways that her sister seemed to know all too well.

            And be honest… Doesn’t a double life sound kinda cool?

 ***

“Y’know? I’m gonna fuckin’ miss you.”

“You’re gonna have to fuckin’ keep the potty mouth.” Bella said to Amber.

“What? We’ll Skype, we’ll…” Amber seemed extra fazed by the night’s proceedings.

“You fucking bet we will. One of those fuckin’ Army things.” She squeezed Amber’s knee.

Amber pushed up her glasses and looked to the graveyard as it came into view.

“And, shit, you’ve got Kurt now. Ain’t gonna have fuckin’ Bella to fuckin’ kick around anymore.” She was happy that Amber finally found someone,

 ***

“Well, that was boring.” Faye said, applying lipstick with her sparkly pink nails. “Was still cool to see Zoe graduate, though.”

“Hey.” Rach shot back. “We’re doing it next year.”

“I dunno. I made a lot of money at Krakatoa last weekend.”

“I don’t like you going to that place.”

“Oh, god.” Faye rolled her eyes. “Can’t a girl just have fun? Besides, it’s a lot of money. The newer girls are a little weird, but…”

Rach didn’t know why exactly, but she didn’t like the way that sounded.

 ***

Shoot me down, but I won’t fall

I am titanium….

Bobbie could hear the song from the faraway hill on which they parked the Vespa.

“Well alright, Bobbie Blue.” Tim beamed, taking her hand. “What do you wanna do first?”

She kissed him. “I wanna bake, I wanna dance, I wanna…”

“Whoa whoa whoa.” Tim chuckled. “Calm down, Tex. Plenty of time for that now.”

He put on a Scottish accent. “Ahl the time in the wuurld.” Bobbie thought of Ailie and wondered how she and Mike were doing.

Those thoughts were scattered as they walked away from the Vespa and down the slope that led from the knoll to the barely lit area that looked like a party that was already starting to gather steam.

 ***

GRRL ARMY was on the makeshift stage, getting everything hooked up.  Kim was sending a text to Plugman… He’s definitely Plugman here. No A/V nerd from the looks of it.

Professional setup, dude. We’re here, just let us know when to start.

US. Kim thought, basking in the glow that she knew was coming. The colors twisting and churning.

Viggo looked over to the girls. Holy god, they’re all hot. Should have started this DJ thing earlier.

The music jumped with three hard thumps of the bass. Kim felt it with a special acuity as the vibration throbbed through, threatening to send her into deep Thrall meditation.

Kim decided she needed a litany of her own.

I must not Jill

Jilling is the little death that brings total determination…?

Kim broke into a loud laugh that for a moment overtook the speakers’ domination of the party. Her phone vibrated.

I’ll give three more thumps like that, then I’ll cut it. Plugman >_<

Kim stomped a booted heel and grabbed the band’s attention.

She held up three fingers and mocked a stomp…

Then pointed at the ground.

 ***

The flailing puddle containing myriad colors seemed normal for a happy crowd, but what was going on? The colorspora seemed to have gained a fuzzy texture… is that the right word? We’re really gonna have to figure out some kind of language for this.

And what is with those holes out there? The conspicuous lack of color in a couple of spots seemed wrong somehow, the ‘fuzziness’ didn’t encroach.

THUMP! THUMP! THUMP!

Finger it out later, I guess.

Kim started to pluck at her bass in a familiar pattern with which Lemmy would be intimately familiar.

 ***

Stacy was walking around the party wondering how she was ever like these impulsive kids that surrounded her now. She had gotten a cup from some freaky looking green haired girl wearing too much leather… or too little, who knows anymore?

The buzz started creeping on early on with the end of the first cup. Must have been really strong beer, she wondered where it came from. The music was throbbing in a special way tonight.

I wonder how fashionably late Zoe’s gonna be.

She started moving her hips with the music as she walked, the alcohol creeping on stronger. And soon after that…?

She was one of them again. Reckless abandon starting to seem like fun again after all this time. She downed the rest of her beer, threw the cup down and waded into the crowd wooing and raising her arms.

 ***

Bobbie and Tim were partying like it was nineteen ninety nine. These particular soundwaves carried something unusal. She couldn’t quite put her finger on it.

Nor did she care, tonight was going to be problem free, she would dance. She would love.

She would live.

The music abruptly cut out before giving way to a baseline that Bobbie was familiar with.

Then Bella’s drums thundered in, Amber’s shrieking guitar after.

If you like to gamble, I tell you I'm your girl
You win some, lose some, it's all the same to me
The pleasure is to play, makes no difference what you say
I don't share your greed, the only card I need is
The ace of spades, the ace of spades.

Bobbie threw up Bella’s devil horns and bobbed her head rapidly.

“You like Motorhead?”

“Older woman, remember?”

“Yeah, but.” Tim looked at his girl oddly.

“Younger girl.”

“You should talk.”

Tim laughed. “Not a huge metal fan, but everybody knows this one, right?”

“Trick question. Lemmy is god.”

  ***

Kurt was still on his first beer. He hadn’t been to a lot of parties since he started hanging out with Amber, the beer coming on a lot faster than he anticipated.

Better pace yourself, dude. She’s not gonna deal with you all sloshed.

He looked far off to the side to see the band.

You know I'm born to lose and gambling's for fools
But that's the way I like it, baby
I don't wanna live forever…
And don't forget the joker

Both of them had seen marked improvement in their playing.  When Amber started ripping through the solo…

He felt a sudden urge to dance, Kurt opted instead for some air guitar.

 ***

Once Ace of Spades was done, Heather hit the keys on her keytar. The world heard Richard Dreyfus’ alien friend’s ringtone.

A deep bass version of it followed.

Heather repeated the strain, this time in a higher key.

Plugman took it and sped it up, dropped in a baseline and…

Some screaming vocals followed.

Kim kept playing, adding accents and off notes. Bella crashing cymbals rhythmically, Amber and Heather adding whatever little bit they could to the music that filled the night.

 ***

Mmmm, I love this song. Roxx was looking around at these clueless teenagers. What high schooler can say no to free beer?

I didn’t.

And from the looks of the bros slapping each other and professing their brotherly love and eternal devotion in one direction and the ‘woo girls’ doing their mating dance of skyward stretched arms and a full body jiggle in the other.

The renegade Thrall kept tabs on the girls she brought with her. It looked like CamiLynn was nearly to the stage.

I know you’re here, Bobbie. You and that insipid, lovesick boyfriend of yours.

Roxx took a drink from her flask. This is liquor, that’s beer.

The difference is just like them and I.

One is stronger, one is weak.

And one is just…

Better.

***

Kim and the band had picked up from a wub wub wubbing track to bring it back to what GRRL ARMY did best.

Fine… Big Balls it is.

Amber had already figured out and changed to the opening riff about one full measure before Kim had caught on.

Her attention was elsewhere.

There was a girl with green hair and… there, on her wrist.

A Mark, one of the same ones I saw last night. What is she doing here? And if she’s here…

Where’s Roxx?

 ***

Bobbie was laughing her way through a second bottle of water when she finally looked around. There had been a change in the things she saw. Something wrong with the tapestry.

Like it was sick somehow; overgrown by a pulsating mold. There’s an awful lot of drunk people at this party… The smell of beer lanced up her nose.

The smile on her face finally realized that gravity works. “Come on.” She said, hiding the sudden trepidation. “Let’s get closer to the band.”

“Okay. No mosh pits, though.” Tim warned. “I’m delicate.”

“You’re going to take these jokes too far.”

Tim shrugged. “I’m trying to deal with it.”

“Then be funnier. “ Bobbie said flatly. “Come on.”

 They headed toward the stage and looked at the others that seemed to have the same idea to rush the stage. There were holes in what Bobbie saw, and that worried her more than she wanted to admit.

 ***

Faye and Rach were dancing, and Rach was starting to wonder if they were getting old. The crowd they normally drew was nowhere to be found. The dancing was still fun, the lack of audience disheartening to the point of calling a water break when one wasn’t needed.

Zoe popped up near the trash cans filled with ice and water.

“HEY!” Zoe slurred a little. “I’m out!! I did it!!” She danced around some, making a show of uncovering her elbows.

“Congrats, Zoe.” Rach giggled. Meeting Zia had shown Rach a side to Zoe that no one knew existed; No one save herself.

And now seeing what she needed? Rach looked into Zoe’s pattern of darkness and was stunned to finally get a close look at the girl that was obviously the devil that sat at her left shoulder…

As Rach was the angel on the right.

Making Lust the monkey on her back.

What Rach saw told the tale of a girl that was already tough, but who sometimes secretly wished to be more like the girls that swirled around her sister.

Well… Rach thought. We all have our princess fantasies.

 ***

Zoe was nursing a cup when she found Faye and Rach. They were talking and laughing. Faye’s cup was sloshing around as she gesticulated wildly.

“ZOE!!” Stacy shambled up, grinning and swaying drunkenly.

The card she found that morning was a moment that would induce an awww in a sitcom, but this was reality. The only awww came from Zoe. The decal for her helmet was cool, too. When did a nitwit like her get so tasteful?

Zoe smiled at Stacy, “Hey, sis. Get here early?”

“Yeah.” Stacy said thickly. “You’re always late for everything.” She hiccupped.

“I was busy putting this badass sticker on my helmet.” She was still riding high on the endorphins and joy that came with finishing high school.

And sort of getting my sister back.

Zoe looked over to Faye and Rach. Still smiling, still laughing; she had woken up that morning sure that tonight would be a night for ‘Zia’ to play. But standing there with Stacy enthusiastically sharing her accomplishment strangely didn’t make her long for a life that wasn’t hers. Zoe and Rach had noticed her and waved as the bouncing music shifted to screaming guitar. Zoe joined the bouncing from her implied solitude while Stacy drew from something missed…

Something primal, wonderous.

Childlike.

Zoe caught the infectious grin as she waved back at Faye and Rach.

Zia would return…

But not tonight.

 ***

Knowing what the ‘holes’ were, Kim had three jokes for it already.

One involving the girls and what they surely must be doing.

One involving the sucking they were sure to be doing.

And the last involving Roxx. Who was surely the biggest ‘hole there.

Pun intended.

How could she let Bobbie know?

THUMP!!THUMP!!THUMP!!

She ran to Heather with a last minute suggestion.

  ***

Bobbie and Tim were still trying to make their way through the crowd. Everyone seemed fine, a touch drunk, but fine. But, Bobbie had a feeling that this would all move to another level of debauchery soon.

Not a party until something gets broken.

Right, Faye?

She could see Kim running around to the other band members, it wasn’t the ecstatic running around that stagebound Kim seemed to exhibit normally.

They moved around a large headstone when Bobbie gasped.

Those hair colors… that…

That face. I… Bobbie gasped. For a moment, she was Robb again. Seeing her that first day, the low light glinted off of her ankh earrings. She could smell the bus stop, feel the chill in the air. The scent was so crisp in her nostrils that she was there.

Bobbie was face to face with Melanie, again for the first time.

“Mel.” She whispered.

The new girl giggled. “You know me?” She inhaled deeply on the joint. Exhaling, Mel offered it to Tim. “I’m so fuckin’ scattered.”

“No thanks. That’s probably…” Tim started, taking a moment to look at her. He turned to Bobbie. He suddenly recognized the face, she had black hair the last time he saw it. That video.

“C’mon. That…”

The music changed. Repetitious keyboard strains and a lazy baseline took over. The music became disjointed from such a rapid change in tempo.

The introduction of… Mel? Can’t be. How is that even possible? And now GRRL ARMY slamming the show at a ninety degree angle?

Something’s up.

ROXANNE!

You don’t have to put on the red light…

“Oh, shit.”

“What?” Tim jumped.

“Roxx is here. Kim’s trying to tell me. She hates Sting.” She stopped talking to anyone but herself. “No other reason they’d play that.”

“It was Dune wasn’t it?” Tim’s shit eating grin wasn’t allowing him to bypass his sense of humor.

“Not now.” Bobbie admonished, she scanned the crowd on the verge of panic. “That means that Mel is… She’s not alone. C’mon.” She grabbed his wrist. “We’ve got to find her. If she’s here…” Bobbie pulled Tim along, not wanting to lose him now.

“She’s up to something. And it’s got to be big to get her out of that club.”

 

up
47 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good chapter.

Good chapter. It looks like the plot is picking up. I look forward to the next chapter.