Nowhere to Run: Chapter 8

Printer-friendly version
nowheretorun.png


Chapter 8

Daybreak

We made it through the night. It was daybreak. The gas gauge showed a little over half a tank, but the car kept saying Service Engine Soon. Which is a bad sign. I just hope it doesn't break down and we are stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Which is where we are right now. Where the heck are we? The GPS doesn't work for some odd reason.

"Jill, can you look in the glove compartment and find a map?"

"I would love to, but I am controlling the gas, remember?"

"Oh yeah, I forgot." Let's pull over for a little bit and see if we can find where we are."

"Good Idea." Jill gets out from under the steering wheel, stretches, and sits while I look at the map.

"Well, this is useless. I have no idea where we are, and I wish this GPS would work." Just then the car sputtered and shut down. I could see smoke coming from the engine.

"Damn It" I yell. "Now we will have to walk to wherever we are going." We get out of the car. Luckily, there are no zombies around and start walking.

We must have been walking forever. I look back and notice the car is long gone. It would have been nice to salvage the gas from the vehicle, but where would we put it and who would carry it?

Jill was not as easy to deal with. If she were still Jack, things would have been better. Thanks to that drink, we both drank. I swear at George even though he can't hear me. I know my mom and sister are dead. My home is gone, and now I am homeless and an orphan.

Just then, a herd of zombies starts heading towards us. We had to run.

“What do we do, we have nowhere to run and nowhere to go Natalie” Jill started crying. “I am so scared.

“Don’t worry Jill, we will figure something out, what are the choices?” I feel my backpack bouncing against my back, and my little dress rubbing against my legs as we run. “Okay, look over to the right, there are tons of zombies almost to the road we need to move and move fast, Jill.”

I see tears falling down Jill's face as she doesn’t say anything while we run. It is like she is just following directions, not thinking just doing.

We stop at the edge of the deep river.

“I remember in one of the episodes of the Walking Dead that if we step into a river, a zombie might get us.” Just the thought of that gave me the shivers. I hope there are none in the river. I don’t want to be a zombie.

Just then, I heard moaning. I recognized the sound. Looking back, I see a zombie sauntering behind us. I start to panic. I just hope Jill doesn't.

“I think we have a roamer,” I whispered, looking at Jill's confused face. “It's what they call the walking zombies on The Walking Dead.”

“Oh no," she whines. "Shoot it!"

“I am trying as best as possible to save on bullets. Just Hurry up across the stream. We might make it! We don’t want to waste bullets on only one zombie. The guns are loud, and it might attract others.”

“Okay, that makes sense,” We start to move faster. The water was getting deeper. It was up to my stomach.

I glance back. The Zombie doesn't even notice us and keeps going in a different direction. I start to giggle.

“What a dumb zombie,” I thought.

We make it to the other side of the river. Our clothes were soaked. If it were a deeper river, we wouldn’t have made it. Also, it was a good thing. No zombies were in it. Who knows what would have happened.

“Didn’t that zombie look like our gym teacher, Mr. Boring?”

“You mean, Mr. Bourang?” I stared at Jill with a tilted head.

“Yeah, but everyone called him Boring,” she giggled.

“Yeah, I guess I called him that too,” I giggle as well.
Isn’t he kind of far away from school?” Jill asked me while we started walking away from the river.

“Not sure. I don’t know how far we were driving. I’m not even sure where we are?” I looked around. Nothing looked like it was at home. We did drive for a long time. I doubt that was even Mr. Bourang.”

We kept walking. We knew that we had to find a place to stay for the night. It was not safe for us to be outside at night. If we had a car, we could find a place. Damn car. Wish it didn’t just die. It had enough gas to last for miles.

Jill was getting tired. I knew she was. I was getting tired too. I have shorter legs. I started giggling.

“What’s so funny?” Jill asked me.

“Oh, nothing,” I said. We kept walking. The woods we were in were creepy. It wasn’t a great place to be. Zombies could come out of nowhere and get us. But we had no choice. I had my gun in my hand. I was ready for anything. Jill has a knife. She doesn’t hold it, but she has it stored away. Ready to grab when she needs it. The sad thing is, we both are short. But we are also very quick.

Did you notice the zombies are faster outside where it is hot and slower in the cold of the air conditioning?” Jill said breaking the silence. “Maybe we should go somewhere cold.”

“Yeah, I hope we are going north,” I looked around. “It’s colder up there.”

“How can we tell we are going north?” Jill asks, stopping to look at me.

“I remember someone telling me to look for moss on a tree. It always facing north.” I scan at a few trees. “I was right. There’s moss.” I pointed at an oak tree. “We are going in the right direction. The further north we go, the colder it will get.”

“Speaking of cold, is there a bathroom anywhere near?” Jill asked. “I need to go potty.”

I start to giggle. Yeah, you're standing on it. I absolutely loved the expression on her face. It cracked me up.

“Ha-ha, funny” She growled. “I know this is the woods, but really?”

“No, seriously...”

Jill interrupted me. “I can't go pee outside," she grumbled.

“...Girls do it all the time. Just squat.” I finished my sentence. I started giggling. “Just find a suitable place to pee.”

Jill ran behind a tree, so I didn’t see her peeing. When she came back, I heard a whistle in the distance.

“Did you hear that?” I asked, staring towards the sound.

“Yeah, it sounded like a train,” Jill said, getting up from off the ground.

“I hope it's a train,” I cheered. “Let’s go find it. I really hope no zombies heard it as well.”
We walked for a while and saw a train going down the tracks. It was going slow. We could see that there were a few boxcars on it. I smiled at Jill. “Let’s hurry up. We got to take that train. It looks like it’s going north.”

up
62 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos