When tales come true Chapter 14

Printer-friendly version


When tale come true

Chapter 14

Going public


magefemale.jpg

Over and over I went down the different paths in my mind trying to find one that did not hurt me and those I care for. Every time I failed. I was starting to get depressed. That's when Ben said "A wedding, that would work. A Grand Wedding pulling in everyone to work on it."

I thought on it for a bit then said "How I don't see your thinking?" Then it hit me. The purification rights are done nude in front of the priestess of the goddess. I smiled "Oh that is good. It might just work? But who would I marry?"

Ben Pulled out a ring "How about me? Ember will you marry me?" I held out my hand and he slipped the ring on. I was so happy.

I Said "Yes, Ben I will marry you!" I looked at the pretty ring. "I will plan the wedding right away. Is next week too soon?" I chuckled and he laughed.

Ben looked at the time "Sorry I have to get back." He stood up pulling me with him. Then it happened he kissed me right on the lips!! A lot of sparks went off when he did that. Real sparks he had to slap his clothes to put out the fire! Well I am a mage after all. People wonder why I am called Ember. Ben hurried off to work and I cleaned up the picnic.

As I was walking back to my home I ran into Darla she said "By that smile it went well?" I nodded and held out my hand. She looked at the ring "Does this mean what I think it does?" I nodded again as a wide smile burst on my face. "Dang it girl, you sure work fast!" I nodded. When I calmed down I told her the whole story. She chuckled at our answer to the problem.

I smiled "When we kissed for the first time the sparks almost set his clothes on fire for real. I got to work on that for when we kiss in the future. Will you help me plan the wedding?"

She grinned "Real sparks huh that is a good sign. Yes I will help plan the wedding. You have to tell the Queen though tonight and make it face to face!" We got back to my home and the bracelet jingled.

I opened the link "Yes, your Majesty? How may I help you on this glorious day?"

Angel said "We need to talk. I know I was not to call you today but it is urgent. I need you here now! How fast can you get here?" I handed Darla the basket and grew my wings and flew at top speed to the Crystal Hall. I did not even stop at the door just pulled in my wings and let the momentum carry me in. I put my feet down at the last moment and looked at the Queens startled face.

I said "Is that fast for you?" I curtsied wings out. "You wished to see me?" I shut down the link, I did not need the echo.

The Queen said "Follow me." We went to the back of the hall to a small bedroom. In the bed was a woman I would never have ever thought to see here. "My Mother sent her over a half hour ago. She has been beaten pretty bad and thrown through a portal to Crystalis. Their healers said she will live but it will be a long recovery. I called Janis and she said the damage is bad but not fatal. I felt you should be here before we try to wake her." I just stared at the form in the bed. My Mother was here and hurt. This could complicate things. She has not seen me as Ember since I was ten. This will be bad.

I said "Who knows she is here and who she is? Forget that she is here." I walked in the room and looked at my Mother. Janis had taken care of most of her injuries. She almost looked calm. I held my hand over her heart and there was a good beat but something else. Magic, Strong magic she was a mage. How could I have never known this? Is this why she was distant? This brought up so many Questions! I will have to wait till she wakes till I get some answers. I turned to the Queen "How did your Mother know to send her here? Does she know who she is? Do you?"

Angel said "Yes I know who she is. So does my Mother. She has been working for my mother for fifteen years. Looking after a very special child. She is the woman who looked after you but she is not the one who gave birth to you. Eric Vine had been a smokescreen to keep you safe. You are my sister, I am three minuets older. You were told you were born in October but that's not true. We were born on each side of midnight on the same day. You were put on the path of magic, I was put on the path of statecraft. This is the unvarnished truth." I had to sit down this was a lot to take in.

I said "Well I always wanted a sister. This is just a little mind blowing. Next thing you will be telling me is my Grandmother was not who I thought she was? " She nodded "Oh for blank sake! Who was she or is that is she? Is she still alive?" Another nod "Dang it is anything that has gone on real?"

She sighed "Everything since you got to the school is real. Your Grandmother is your Grandmother and mine. She is also the Archmage. She will be here tomorrow to see you along with Mother."

I asked "Who else knows about this? Darla?" She shook her head. At least Darla was in the dark as I was. "This is going to really change the wedding plans. I will have to talk to Ben. By the way sis will you be my maid of honor at my wedding next week?" That made Angel's jaw drop. I showed her the ring. "Where is that maid Stella that started that rumor. I would like a talk with her."

Angel said "Oh no you don't little sister. I said I will take care of it. If you go in there you will just look like the one trying to cover it up. I have plans for little miss gossip. Now What's this about getting married next week? Mother will never allow that it takes a month just to make a princesses gown you know? That is what you are you know? And marrying a untitled commoner never!"

I looked at her "I just found this all out so give me time. As for Ben being a commoner so was I a little time ago. I will Marry for love only and I love Ben! There I said it. Those sparks were no lie. He is my one and only!" She cocked her head when I said sparks so I told her about that.

She looked thoughtful "Mother will need to know about this. Sparks like that are rare even among mages. She will have the final say or Grandmother will.

Just then a maid Betty came scuttling in She curtsied to both of us "Your Majesty the food team are back and they have wounded." Janis got up waved Dixie to watch the woman I thought I knew then followed us out to the mirror room. Veronica was holding one of the combat mages hand Ella was her name and she was hurt bad. The other combat mage Willa was helping one of the knights, Jeff to lie down. The other three knights were less hurt and were still clutching the bags of holding. All ten bags were there. Janis went to work.

I asked "What happened?" It looked like full tilt fighting.

Stan the leader of the knights said "Ambush, we were hit hard and fast. We were taking a short cut to the mirrors and they came from everywhere. We did what we could to get out of there but we left a lot of body's in that street." He shook his head. "If they would have had mages it would have been a lot worse. Our three mages saved our buts that's for sure." I nodded and turned to Veronica. She stood up.

I asked her "Is any of that blood yours?" She shook her head. "Thank you, Ella and Willa for what you did I won't forget it. How is Ella?"

Janis spoke up "Bad injuries but nothing fatal, same for Jeff. so far nothing a good long rest and some healing won't take care of."

Angel spoke "They will be taken care of right. I know it was hard but you completed your job so I see you all as Heroes and Heroines. I will see that you all get a good rest.

Veronica looked at me "I got the seed it should be sown as soon as possible. If we want food from the plants soon."

I said "Are you up to casting the spells I gave you? I can give you Sammie a earth mage and Linda a water mage to help on the farm I will find more body's to work the land tomorrow. Get some sleep, the seed will last till tomorrow. Remember you are in charge." She headed off taking one of the bags with her. Byron was talking to the knights. I nodded to him. He returned the nod. Janis was having the two worse cases taken to her house for extended treatment. Then she turned to the other three. So she must have stabilized the other two. I looked at Angel She had maids taking care of the food bags. So everything was in hand. I had a lot to think on.

Angel looked at me and beckoned for me to join her. She took something out of her pocket. A compact was what she was holding. She opened it and I could see Queen Aslila's face in the mirror. Angel said "Yes Mother?"

Aslila said "We are ready to come over. Your Grandmother wishes to see how things are going. You know how she is. Is Ember there with you? Have you told her yet?"

I answered for her "The answer is yes to both. Other's don't know yet. I will open a portal for you so we can speak quietly." I tuned to the combat mage on duty "Open Shutter two please." When she had done that I opened a portal and waited. Then walking out of the portal was my Grandmother along with Queen Aslila, I still could not think of her as Mother. Grandmother looked me over I curtsied wings out and she smiled.

She spoke "Child it has been too long. Come give me a hug." I did and dang if it didn't feel good. We walked towards Crystal Hall. She said "I see you and your sister are wearing my gifts. Not that you could refuse them. I made sure of that." The enchantment I thought. Grandmother asked "Have you done anything interesting lately child?"

I said "Depends on what you mean by lately? I created this Hall, I named my sister Queen, I did this and that, Then created the Hall of Magic on the other side of the lake, I hired a bunch of mages and I got engaged."

Grandmother said "All fine works. Is the young man nice? I would like to meet him." Out of the corner of my eye I caught sight of Ben heading this way.

I smiled "Well now that's easy here he is now. Oh Ben come over here a moment would you." He smiled and strode up looking all sharp and handsome. "Ben I would like you to meet someone. This is my Grandmother." He put on his best smile and bowed deep.

He said "I'm honored."

I said "He is a man of few words. I like that about him. He let's me do all the talking." I chuckled. "Grandmother this is Captain Ben of the Royal Guard of Sanctuary. We plan to get married next week." Aslila almost choked at that. "Angel will be my maid of honor. I hope you can be there. We haven't decided who will officiate yet. I only know I want a priestess of the goddess and I want it to be held here. I am babbling What do you think Grandmother?"

Grandmother said "Who is going to make your gown? What type of ceremony do you want and who is going to give you away? Your not babbling your talking about the most important day of your life!"

I answered "I am going to make my own gown out of fine crystal weave like my Halls. I want to use the walking the circle ceremony. That one does not have the giving away part. I will ask three more girls to stand with me and Ben will ask four men. I will make the binding box and lock from plans I have. I am good with silver too. It will all come together in the next few days. We only got engaged today."

She said "Well you do move fast. May I ask what's all the rush?" We were in the Throne room now.

I looked at Angel and she sent the servants away. I sighed and filled Grandmother in about the maid and the ex-knight. "So you see this will give me two things I want. Ben and a clear name. I could try to wait it out but it cost me a injury waiting as long as I have."

Angel said "I have a plan to find out what the maid has been up to but it seems to be taking too long to give the information. I am not sure why but I think this is a plot to undermine the power base here in Sanctuary. It could be just a case of gossip that got out of hand but I don't think so. Besides I don't want hate mongering here in Sanctuary!"

I said "I won't say who but there are others that this kind of thing can hurt here so I want to stop the rumors before anyone else gets hurt. Well I am doing what I can so let's get back to the happy subjects. Like the family reunion. Three generations in one room must be nice." Ben look at me with a Question in his eyes. I chuckled "Yes Ben I did say three. It turns out that my real mother is Queen Aslila and Queen Angel is my sister. Of course there is Grandmother The Archmage and me the Grand Mage. Four lady's from the same family. Quite a power base right there." Ben paled a little at that thought. "This is the point most guys would run." He shook his head. I smiled and leaned over and kissed him. Again the sparks flew but this time even thicker and neither of us seemed to care.

Grandmother said "That will be enough of that young lady. You are starting fires all over the Throne room." She was patting at her clothes. I blushed and withdrew from Ben. "It will be a wonder if you survive the wedding night putting off that many sparks. I mean Ben, Ember is in no danger."

I said "What do you mean grandmother? I am just as burnable as anybody am I not? I am human am I not?"

Grandmother sighed "Well you are human mostly. You see when you and your sister were born you were blessed by an Elemental being and your sister was blessed by a dragon. This changed you both so you are part Elemental being and she is part Dragon." By the way Angel jumped she did not know this. "This may be why you spark when you kiss."

Angel said in a small voice "I am part Dragon? This is news to me!" She was just this side of freaking. I patted her hand.

I said "You said an Elemental being, what element?" I was coming up to the freak out line myself. Ben took my hand. This was getting stressful.

Grandmother said "He cycled trough four but started with on fire."

I don't know why but I recited,

"Fire and Ice,
Earth and Sky,
Come together to harmonize."

Grandmother Said "That is the chant he used to bless you. Quite a powerful one too."

Angel recited,

From the North I flew,
To the East I soar,
To the West I banked,
In the South I landed,
All lands know me and all will.

Grandmother said "Yes that is what the Dragon said. It was equally powerful. Both you girls have not yet come into your full blessing. But look to the chants for a clue. Now I am tired and you both have a lot to think over. Do you have a room I can lay down in?"

Angel clapped her hands loudly and Betty came in to see what the Queen wanted. Angel gave orders and Grandmother was led off. What a mind blowing day! Queen Aslila looked at her daughters and smiled. That gave me a cold shiver down my back. She is up to something.

Ben said "I have to get back to work if you two don't need me any more right now?" Dang he must be upset he is talking more than most times.

Angel said "You may go." If all else fails fall back on formality. When Ben was gone Angel said "We should go see if that woman has woke up yet." She got up off the Throne and led the way. It did not take long and we were there. Dixie and the woman I thought was my Mother till today were still as they were when we left.

Dixie got up and curtsied and said "There is no change she is still sleeping. Do you wish me to try and wake her? Most of her injuries have been healed though some of the pain will remain."

Angel looked at our Mother then said "Wake her, her name is Helen." At that Dixie began the ways healers have to wake those in a deep sleep.

It took quite a few moments but then Helen started to come around. She grabbed her arm and looked around. Three girls and a woman were looking back at her. After a moment she recognized the woman as Aslila, Queen Aslila. Two of the three girls she did not know but the third she had only seen Eric dressed like this in photos. What was the name? Ember yes that was it. This is an older Ember than she had seen. Where was she?

Queen Aslila asked "Do you remember me?" At the nod she went on. Can you tell me what happened to you in the past few days Helen?"

I asked "Dixie go get Janis. Helen is awake but I want to have her looked over. I know you are a healer but you are still in training. So please do as I ask." As soon as Dixie was gone. I closed the door. "All clear."

Helen took a breath and spoke "I have been on the run since I left the school those Dang Tangent people have been dogging my steps. I don't know what they thought they could get from me. I had passed you all the things I had that connected me to the other world." She was looking at me while speaking. She went on "Two days by my memory they caught me coming out of a grocery store. They took me to a shack in the woods and questioned me. When that didn't work they beat me. when they decided I really didn't know what they wanted they opened a portal with a Rose Crest Ring. I don't know where they got it but they through me into the portal and closed it. I remember hitting the ground on the other side. Several people ran up I said bar that ring. Then I passed out and now is the first I remember since."

Queen Aslila said "They did bar that ring. Someone tried to open a portal three times that I know about using that ring. They failed of course." The only Rose Crest Ring I know is on the finger of the Headmaster. I need to check on him.

Helen looked at Queen Aslina and asked "May I ask who these two girls are your Majesty?" I am sure she recognized me but she must be checking.

Aslila said "This is my two Daughters. First is Angel flower Queen of Sanctuary and second is Ember Rose Del La Silver Grand Mage of Sanctuary. You might know Ember better as Eric the boy I asked you to look after. Ember left Eric behind in the other world. You are now in Sanctuary.

Helen took a deep breath and said directly to me "So you know everything now? Grand Mage, I know I have no right but I am so proud. I know I did not give birth to you and I had to keep secrets from you but in my own way I do care for you. I had to keep my distance from you. You were always so smart you would have found out my secrets."

I smiled "It will take awhile but I will forgive you. Will you be staying here or returning to Crystalis? What type of mage are you? What about Dad?"

Helen smiled back "As to Dad he was a actor, I let him go when you went to that school. I am a earth mage. As to Where I will be staying it is up to Queen Aslila. My job is over but I still work for her till we settle up."

Queen Aslila "I always pay my debts. You will be recovering for awhile so you can pick where you want to stay, with my daughters consent, and I'll see that you get your due. I have no further need for your services so you can go where you please."

I looked at Angel who had a strange look on her face and she smiled and nodded. I turned to Helen "If I remember right when I was five to eight we lived on a farm. You seemed to be very happy there. Well we have a farm here just starting up. If you want you can have a place there to live and work? There are other Mages working the farm but none with farm experience. I think you would like the Mage in charge."

Helen said "A farm, the time at the farm was a real good time. If you will have a rusty earth mage I would love it."

Angel said "Sounds like a done deal. Veronica would love the help as long as you know She is in charge." There was a tapping at the door. Dixie was back with Janis. The exam was quite extensive and proved Helen needed some more healing before she could get out of bed. Dixie was not so sullen after that. I pulled her aside and talked to her.

I said "I am sorry if I hurt your pride but with two Queens looking on I could not take chances. I trust you but I know you better than they do. We needed to find out some Hush, Hush things anyway." I smiled at her.

Dixie said "I understand and you were right I am still in training so it is good to have the full Healer checkup sometimes. My pride will survive." After that everything was good again. The Queens and I left for the Throne room.

Angel said "Will you two have dinner with me? My usual is just eating by myself while working. I will send a maid to ask if Grandmother wishes to join us."

I said "Before dinner I want to talk to that maid Stella. I promise no Magic just talk. I want to find out why she started the rumor."

Angel frowned "Well I guess. My way does not seem to be working. What do you think Mother?"

Aslila said "As long as her promise includes any type of force and someone is in with her. Yes that would do." They turned to me.

I said "Fine All I want to do is talk." I was led to where the maid was being kept. It was in the basement of the Hall. It was not a pretty spot. When I looked at her I sighed. The door was shut behind me the guard was on the inside with us. I said "What have you got against me? As far as I know I have never even said two words to you. Yet you spread a rumor that is really making my life heck! What is it?" My voice was calm a little sad but calm. I was not forceful at all.

Stella said "I was just passing on the gossip I did not start it like everyone says! They dropped me in it to save their own skins!"

I sighed "If that's true where did you hear it from and who did you tell it to? My life has been in danger. I have had a knife thrown at me because of this rumor."

She said "Nobody said nothing about knives being involved! A mage told me the gossip and gave me a silver to pass it on. I did not get her name but she was real arrogant air mage. She said there would be more later if I kept my mouth shut about who started the gossip. Kept saying Dang whelp."

I got up and left. I knew who that was but I needed more proof than one maid. Angel looked up when I came in the Throne room. She said "You look like you are angry. Did you find anything out?"

I said "I got a suspect but I need more proof till I lower the boom! It fits the profile. A gripe towards me and arrogance to think they can get away with it. they were here in the Hall before the trouble started. I think this is directed towards me alone. But when I get my hands on my suspect I will find out. I don't want to say who it is till I am sure the information is right. Everything points this way. You still need to keep the maid where she is till I have confirmed her story. That should punish her for taking coin to pass gossip."

Queen Aslila spoke up "You think you know who it is from one talk with a maid? I would be suspicious of the information if I was you. But then it sounds like you are. What are you going to do when you find this person?"

I gave a evil grin "They will regret they started up with me."

Angel said "I think you should let me handle that you would go too far. I don't think they will try to take on all of Sanctuary."

Just then a knight came in. He bowed to all three of us. He looked at me "My lady I have something to report that involves you. A mage came and offered to pay me a silver to pass on gossip about you. I ran her off but I thought I should report it."

I smiled "Was this mage tall and arrogant and did they keep saying something about whelp?"

The knight said "Yes my lady she kept saying dang whelp. I was put off by her arrogant way right off hand. She was taller than me."

I smiled "Thank you, I will take care of it. You may go." I looked at the others "That's it separate confirmation. I know who it is now. One of the new mages. We have had two confrontations including on the first day she got here. She is a air mage named Nancy."
Queen Aslila's head came up at that.

She said "I have had trouble with that one being way too arrogant. I thought the change of location would give her a clue but has seemed to make her worse."

I said "I just wonder if she made up the gossip or heard it someplace. Does not make a difference I will find out when I find her."

Angel said "You will bring her to me in one piece for trial. I will decide on her punishment. Do you hear me lady Ember?"

I sighed "Yes I will do as commanded. I do have a spell to bind someone's magic that might be useful." I pulled out a small book and flipped through it till I found the right spell. I smiled. Angel rolled her eyes. Aslila chuckled and got up and stretched.

Aslila Said "Here comes your Grandmother must be dinner time. You can't start a hunt on a empty stomach. Let's go in and eat." So that's what we did. I left right after. I went over to the house the new mages were given. She was not there. I kept looking for an hour till I found her. Well her voice. I heard her talking to somebody spreading more lies. I stepped around the corner to find her talking to four knights.

She turned and said "There's the freak get it!" That was it I was ticked! I looked at the knights and they turned and ran. She looked at them "Cowards!" I smiled an evil smile. She tried her magic but my shield took it real easy. I raised my voice and cast the spell binding her magic. She went to her knees when the air stopped moving around her. I walked over and grabbed her by the scruff of the neck and dragged her to the Crystal Hall. The Queens were still in the Throne room when I walked in dragging the pain in my Blank. Grandmother looked at me and raised her eyebrow.

Angel said "Guards take that person and search for weapons! Lady Ember explain this."

I said "This is the one that has been spreading rumors about me. When I found her she was trying to get four knights to do as she pleased. When I stepped out she tried to get them to attack me. That failed. Then she tried her magic on me. That failed. I bound her magic and brought her here for trial."

The guard said "Your Majesty this person had six daggers coated with poison and two vials of poison."

I said "Your Majesty I suggest you have Janis check that poison to see if it is the same type that she cured me of after the knife attack."

The Queen said "Call Janis in. I want this taken care of quickly."

Grandmother said "Let me see the spell you used to bind her magic. I want to check something." She looked at the book I held out. "It as I thought. This is the first of two spells to strip a mage of their magic. It is a hard spell but I believe our Grand Mage can cast the second spell. If your Majesty wishes it to be so." she flipped a few pages in the book "I would advise this spell as well." she showed us.

Well I thought it would take care of the problem. It was a forget spell. She was saying we should take her magic then make her forget she ever had magic. More to the point I should do it. I had to think about this for a moment. Hmmm, I think I would do it if the Queen orders it. It would be hard but necessary. I looked at the pitiful person I was about to take everything form and wondered why! Janis arrived and checked the poison and nodded.

Angel spoke "Nancy you have done bad things here in Sanctuary. Before you are punished I ask one thing, Why?"

Nancy stood and scowled "That whelp deserves everything she got. I Hate Whelps that don't know their place!" She went on from there in a diatribe about how she had been robbed at birth because she was overly superior. I shook my head this person was flawed.

Angel spoke again "Lady Ember as our Grand Mage do your duty and cast your spells."

I said "Yes Your Majesty." I cast the spell to strip her of her magic and then cast the forget spell." Nancy was hit hard by the first spell then went to sleep during the second. I looked at Grandmother and she nodded.

Grandmother said "She will sleep for a day. When she wakes she will not remember anything about herself. She will know the basics but her personality will have been totally wiped. She could be retrained to do some useful labor."

Angel said "It is done the punishment dealt. We are done here. We will reconvene tomorrow." With that she ordered Nancy to be taken to a room to sleep off the spells. Then left for bed after kissing Mother and Grandmother. Mother headed for the room given to her for the night.

Grandmother looked at me "You don't have to get married now you know. That whole plan was put into place to stop the spread of the rumor. What happened here stopped the source of the spreading. In a few days you will be safe."

I smiled "I love him and he loves me. I want the wedding to go on just maybe not so fast. Before the end of the summer to be sure. A week before the end of the summer so we have a chance at a honeymoon." I looked at my ring "I really do love him."

Grandmother smiled and patted my arm "I am going to bed we have a lot of work to do now that you have made up your mind." She walked off humming the wedding march. I left right after that to my home. The flight was slow and relaxing. It seemed I did not even think about using the boats any more. My hip started to throb a bit. I guess I was getting tired. Sasha was waiting for me. I had not let her know I was having dinner at the hall or that I would be late. Maids are like wife's in this way they like to know these things. I asked for tea and sat down rubbing my hip. It is nice to have such a good maid but sometimes it is just a pain. After my tea I went up to get ready for bed. I was about to get in bed when there came a tapping at my bedroom door. when I opened it Sasha was there with a small jar.

Sasha said "I noted you rubbing your hip. The wounds still bothering you? This will help it is a old family recipe. Just rub it into the spot and it will desensitize the area. Have a good night." She handed me the jar curtsied and went down stairs. Well it was worth a try. The cold cream like stuff went on easy and soon my hip stopped hurting. I will have to give Sasha a raise for this one. I went to bed and slept well all night. In the morning I came down for breakfast quite happy. Cryss swooped in and landed on my shoulder. I reached up and fed her some crystal pieces that I kept on me for that purpose. She was happy. Maybe I'll make her a mate one of these days. I had my meal then headed to the Crystal Hall. The air felt different for some reason. I felt the currents much more than I have ever before. Hmmm, I will have to talk to Grandmother about this. I landed and walked in bumping my wings. I stopped and looked at the archway and cast a refinement spell. The archway went up two feet. I smiled that takes care of that. They all were there Sister, Mother and Grandmother my family. This was a different feeling. Cryss came in and took her place on my shoulder. now the family was complete.

Grandmother looked at Cryss and said "And who is this? I don't remember being introduced to this one."

I smiled at that "This is Cryss the crystal dragon. I made her a wile ago. Now she is sort of the mascot of Sanctuary." I held out my arm and Cryss walked down to my wrist. "Cryss this is grandmother." Cryss curtsied wings out. it was very impressive. Grandmother nodded her head and Cryss straitened up. The whole thing was very funny and we all laughed. It was a good start to the day. I caught Janis coming out of the back.

I said "Morning Janis how are you this fine morning?" She gave me a sour look.

She said "I'm quite busy. Before you ask Helen is recovering. She can go for a short walk this morning and a longer one this afternoon. I know you have given her a job in the farm. She should be able to make it there this afternoon. But no work for a few days even magic. Now I have others to see." And off she went. Healers all over are the same, overworked.

I decided to do something to help the farm along. I went out and looked at the empty houses and found one that looked like a farmhouse. I made sure no one had claimed it. Then I shrunk it small enough to fit in my bag. Then I went to find Tina and the artisans. I found her sitting outside a shop that was being put up.

I said "Long time no see. I have something to ask. Is there any that work the land among your group?"

She looked at a list "Your in luck two do. Looking for farmers?" At my nod she smiled. "That's fine I was wondering what to do with these two. Chuck and Wilma a married pair. Here they come now." Two people walked up. He was big she was slim. Tina turned to them "I found you two work on the farm that is being set up. Can you do that work?"

Wilma said "We have done that work before and can again. We just want to work so our little one when born will have a good life." She had her hand over her belly. It was a definite sign of a pregnant mother.

I smiled "Well I am heading over there now so get your things. There is work to be done." I knew the house had three small bedrooms so it would work good. They rushed off. "He does not talk much does he?" Tina shook her head and smiled. "If you find more let me know." She nodded looking at her lists. When the two were back I waved to Tina and led the pair to the farm. Veronica was there with Sammie and Linda getting the fields ready for planting. Spells replaced plows but it still was hard work. Sammie was working the earth and Linda was bringing in water from the lake for the fields. Veronica was studding the spells I gave her preparing to cast them. I smiled and walked a little ways beyond the fields an took out the house and set it down. I told the others to stand back and grew the house to regular size.

I turned Veronica came over. "Are these to the people you promised me? Will there be any more?"

I said "Yes these are here to work. I have Tina looking for more. I do have another Earth mage coming this afternoon but she has been hurt so wont be able to work for a few days. I was just here to show them the way and set up the house. I'll be going now." I waved and set off back to the Crystal Hall. I reached the Hall as Helen was coming back from waking around the Hall with Dixie. I smiled things were falling into place. That of course is when life drops the other shoe. So I was waiting for that. We need more people as farmers and to work general jobs. I walked into the Throne room and curtsied to the Queens and Grandmother. Grandmother had Cryss on her arm and was whispering to her. I hope she was not teaching her to talk or anything. Angel looked at me. So I reported what I have been doing. She smiled when I told her of raising the archways two feet so I would not bump my wings. She nodded at the end of my report. I had work to do but grandmother was here so I was putting it off.

I asked "Grand mother would you like to see the Hall of Magic and my house?" She nodded and so we were off. I was going to show her the boats when she grew wings and took to the air. We flew over and I showed her around. I was still waiting for the other shoe to drop. "And this is going to be the site of the mage hall as soon as I get to creating the walls and let my mages finish it."

She asked "And what ever happened to that maid I sent to you? I did not see her at the house."

"I smiled "You mean that combat mage you sent to protect me? She is the captain of our combat mages now. Best way to protect me is to protect Sanctuary! They have their grounds over that way and her house is that one next to mine."

She smiled "Can't get anything passed you can I. Well we should be getting back I need to leave tonight. I will be back for your wedding. So keep in touch." We flew back and it was nice flying with someone. We landed in time for lunch so we ate together the four of us. It was good.

After lunch I took Helen to the farm we talked about what I could remember about the farm we lived on. It was a good time I had not forgiven her yet but I had put that in the back of my mind. The farm was going good they were sowing seeds up and down the rows. I introduced Helen to Veronica and They seem to get along fine. I said goodbye and headed back. I flew because walking over took so long. Grandmother would be leaving soon.

When I got back I went into the little room with the link mirror. I tried the Headmasters mirror. To my surprise he answered "Yes, Ember is that you?"

I smiled "I was just checking in how is your summer going?" I wanted to keep it simple.

He looked distracted "Has any more of my students shown up there? We are missing about sixteen kids! We suspect the Tangent people."

I frowned "No, no others came here. I don't know of any other world people at your school. If they were then they went elsewhere."

He said "I know to check for rings but none of them wore one. I note such things. I don't think the Tangents are backing off. You might not be able to return after the summers over. It is just too dangerous."

I took a chance "Do you know anyone else who wears a Rose Crest Ring over there?"

He thought a moment "No I am the only one I know of."

From the look in his eyes he was telling the truth. I asked "Do you have a list of the students and photos?"

He said "Yes right here." I opened the package portal and he passed the papers to me I shut down the portal.

I said "I will look in to this on this side. You keep that ring under lock and key. The Tangents know what they do. Keep safe!" I broke the link. This was not good. I turned and went back into the Throne room.

To be continued
Life giving comments welcome (All comments are Welcome)
up
179 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

*gasp*

Alecia Snowfall's picture

HOLY PLOT TWIST GYPSY!!! I love it! more please!

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Plot

I love the way the plot twists and turns... and you've just added another!

More please.
Joanna

so the two sisters got to

so the two sisters got to have their freak out about the information, I wonder how bad Ben is freaking out finding out that he not only proposed to the grand mage but a princess and grand daughter of the archmage along with being blessed by an elemental, at the very least he has to be a little stunned by all that information and wondering if he is either good enough for or if he will be allowed to marry her

Suspicious

I'm wondering if there is some sort of spell on Ember, she accepted things way too easily, and didn't ask some very important questions. Why was she put into hiding? Why wasn't her sister? Why did her grandmother fake her own death? Just seems weird. Oh, by the way GREAT STORY!

nomad

Dang, just as things were

Dang, just as things were actually getting nicer for Ember and her new found sister Angel, plus her reuniting with her real mother and grandmother. What's a newly minted fiancee supposed to, when she is supposedly to be worrying about her forthcoming wedding and such.
Glad Ember used that spell on Nancy. She definitely needed to be brought down a few pegs, as it is apparently she grated on everyone's nerves. Maybe a few or more years as an ordinary mortal will set her straight, but probably not, some people just do not ever change.
Janice

Ok.. you really got me on

Ok.. you really got me on this chptr..Love that Ember found a family and love.

alissa