When tales come true Chapter 16

Printer-friendly version


When tales come true

Chapter 16

End of Summer


magefemale.jpg

My recovery took two more days before Grandmother let me out of bed except for using the bathroom. I was very weak so I didn't argue much. When I came down finally Darla and Angel were there with Grandmother. I was still weak so I was leaning on my staff.

Angel said "Ember your up, come sit here. Sasha get her some tea. I love your island. It is a real good place to have the wedding. The grass is growing real nice. Are you feeling up to talking about the wedding?"

I said "Sis your babbling. I am just a little weak. It took all I had then some to complete that spell. I am always up to talking about the wedding. Well as I count we have just over two weeks to get this wedding done and there are still a few things left to do. One we need to lay the circle. Two we need to find the people to do what needs to be done on the feast and after party. Three we need to start getting the feast together and prepare the feast field. Four we need to do the Purification rites. Five have the ceremony. Not much really. Since I want at least four days honeymoon and two days to recover that leaves just over a week to do what we need. I think we should have the ceremony in four days. So things should get going later today. Any objections?"

Grandmother smiled "She's Back! I believe that I speak for everyone we are ready to start. How do we do the first thing?"

I handed her a drawing "This is the layout. Laying rocks or something along the lines will do. It must be set to true north. I will go to the Island and pick the spot to put it. Then the feast field must be chosen. That can be done today. The rest can start tomorrow. Well maybe talk about who to do what after dinner. I am sure the walk will take a lot out of me but I will try. The rites will take one whole day the day before the ceremony. I think everything will be fine." Everyone was nodding and smiling. This was what we were waiting for. I finished my tea and pushed up getting ready to go for the walk. We all trooped through the door and headed for the Island bridge. We needed to find a name for the Island. It took a wile to get to the bridge I was not moving at top speed. When I got there I caught sight of Eva and Sophie so I strolled over. I said "Hello you two. Long time no see Eva. How is it going Sophie?" Eva smiled and curtsied as did Sophie.

Sophie said "The Bridges are almost all up. We will finish tomorrow. How are you your Highness?" This highness thing is going to get on my nerves. I guess I need to get used to it. I am a Princess after all.

I said "I have had better days. Be sure the bridges are sturdy. They are going to get a workout in four days." They looked at each other.

Eva said "Does that mean the wedding is that close your Highness?"

I smiled and nodded. Waving I turned and went back to the others. After discussing several spots we picked one right front of the statue. We found the orientation and marked the spots. Then we looked around for a good spot for the feast field. Once we had that we headed back to my home. I was starting to drag already. This weakness was going to be a real pain. Everything was getting on my nerves today.

When we got back I went up for a nap before lunch. It was only a hour or so later I came back down and we all had lunch together. After lunch I borrowed Angels link compact. I used it to call the Headmaster.

He answered "Yes, Ember is that you? I have been hoping you would call. The Tangents have completely backed off. I have not had a report about them since your last call. I think You are safe to come back to school in just over two weeks."

I smiled "That is good to hear the reason for my call is there any way that I can return to school as Ember. I know it is asking a lot but this is who I really am. I am letting go of Eric for good." I crossed my fingers.

He smiled "It is an little short notice but I am sure I can do it. What name will you be going under? Full name that is."

I sighed "Ember Rose Silver for now it may change later today. If it does I will let you know. I am getting married. Though I might be going under my maiden name. I will let you know a little later. Well I have to get to the wedding work so goodbye." I broke the link. Well that was a load off my mind. I looked around and everyone was staring at me again. I sighed "It had to be done if I am going to live as a wife."

Grandmother said "It would be nice if you give some notice before you drop these bombs. I am not as young as I used to be my heart can't take these shocks."

I nodded "I will try. I need to talk to Ben about names. I guess I need to send someone to find him."

Angel said "No you don't he has a link crystal headset remember. Just call him on that."
I pulled out my bag and dug around till I found the headset and put it on.

I opened the link and Ben came on right away "Ember, Are you all right? I was so worried. I'll come over I want to see you."

I smiled "Yes, Ben I am on the mend. Yes I want to see you we have some talking to do that has been put off too long. I will be waiting for you. I love you." I could feel his smile form here.

Ben answered "I love you with all my heart. Please don't worry me like that again! Wait for me I am almost there."

I said "I am here and waiting. You will never worry about that." I covered the link and looked at the others. "Can we pick this up tomorrow? I really need to talk to Ben about a lot of stuff." They all nodded and left smiling. Ben got there right after they left. He hugged me not wanting to set off sparks in the house. We sat with our tea then Sasha withdrew.

I spoke "There are some things we need to talk about. One is names, what is your last name and what one will we use after the wedding? Two is We have decided to live in Sanctuary right. Three what about titles? Three is I am not going back to Eric ever so I will be going back to school as Ember. Do you want to change schools to be with me? I can't change schools right now. That's good for now."

He smiled "One My last name is Starstone. I hate it but it is necessary that I keep it. We could do a hyphen thing. Yours first then mine. Two right. Three is I can't change schools right now or my school will not be paid for. Next."

I sighed "Back to one I think I will use my maiden name at school and what you suggested here. My name keeps getting longer all the time anyways. Three ok. Now four You know we both are in high risk professions what do you think of that? Five Well have you heard of the ceremony I want to use? That's all I got right now the rest can be found out along the way.

He said "One ok. Four I know and I can't see either of us giving up our work. So I will just except that we will worry about each other and move on. Five Yes Your sister told me all about it. Now your right that is all I need to know right now." So we let off the heavy talk and just were together. He had dinner with me and we sat on the porch drinking tea and enjoying being with other. Ben got a look on his face like he just realized something. He asked "I never heard your full name all the way through. What is it? Titles and all."

I said "Ok you asked for it here it is Princess Ember Rose Del La Silver Skyflower Lady Grand Mage of Sanctuary. After the wedding I will be adding your last name to the line. I will only be using Miss Ember Rose Silver or maybe Flower at school." I still had Angels link compact I opened it and the link.

The Headmaster answered in short order "Hello."

I said "Don't you ever go home? I have that info for you."

He said "Let me get a pen, Ok what is your full name."

I said "Do you want to know the real one or the one I'll be using at the school?"

He chuckled "Both if you don't mind."

I said "Ok real Princess Ember Rose Del La Silver Skyflower-Starstone Lady Grand Mage of Sanctuary now what I am going to use Miss Ember Rose Flower."

He gasped "Wait does that mean that you and Angel Flower are related?"

I smiled at him "Yes she is my sister. And yes I want that in the files."

He was quiet for a moment. Finally he said "Will all the six be coming back? I know now that there were more from your world here. I just don't want there to be problems from having a Queen and Princess here with the others."

I said "There we are just a pair of sisters nothing more. Most of the Nobles don't know us by sight. So I don't think there will be any problems. Or you going to have a problem with us? Is this going be a real or just imagined problem? Are you saying what-if?"

He sighed "I guess I am tired. I have been working late. Of course you and your friends coming back will be fine. I will see to the changes. Anything else?"

I chuckled "Yes there is you need to change my birthday to one day after my sisters. We are only three minuets apart but that is over the midnight line. That should be all. Thank you for you efforts. Goodnight."

He said Good night call me in a week and I will have everything corrected." I shut down the link. I sighed and Ben put his arm around my shoulders. We sat there for a bit. I wanted to stay there forever but I knew I had to get to bed. So I hugged him again and sent him on his way for the night. Then I went up to bed. I was out as soon as I laid down.

In the morning I was up for breakfast. I didn't want to but I can't wait any longer. I could hear everyone downstairs. So I went and we started the day. I had a houseful again. Angel, Mother, Jenny, Tina, Zoe, Tara, Jessie, Helen, Darla and Grandmother that really filled the house. After Breakfast we set to work Helen and Jessie were given the drawing of the bonding circle and sent out to create it. Tina had a list of cooks for the feast. Tara had a list of entertainers to work the wedding and feast. Zoe had a list of the honor guard. Jenny had a list of food that was ready to be used. Darla had a list of tables and benches being set up for the feast. Angel, Mother and Grandmother wanted to talk of the guest list. They wanted to invite half the nobles of this world and a few from the other. I wanted to keep it to those not on duty in Sanctuary and a few others like Mother and Ben's Mother. That is a lot of people for a simple wedding. Maybe forty four or so. We argued for two hours till I got up and walked outside. My temper was getting hot. When I calmed down the best I could I went back in with the one reason besides my not wanting it that I could think of. The best reason to come up with on both sides. Security, We just did not have the people to watch any not of Sanctuary! That set my family back a bit because they could not counter it. So I finally got my way. With all the arguing we had all worked up a appetite so we had a early lunch. After lunch I decided to go out to the Island and see how it is going. All but Grandmother chose to stay behind and brainstorm. When I got outside I looked at her and grinned "Let's fly." She nodded. so off we flew. It was a lot easer than walking. We circled the spot and smiled. It was looking good. It was even more ornate than I could have expected. The rock paths were very well done. With two Earth mages working on it I thought it would go fast but this looked like they would be done by the end of the day. Jessie asked "Why don't you use some of that crystal magic to grow the table in the center Your Highness." I nodded and walked to the center and concentrated the weave came to my call and made a very nice table. I smiled at the result. We took off back to my home after that.

When we landed by my home The mages came and said they wanted to help with the wedding. Looked at Sophie "I need Bridesmaid Dresses. four on each red green white and blue. Here's a list of the bridesmaids fit them nice. I will leave the design up to you. I just need them in those colors. All else right now is taken care of. I will need you all the day before the ceremony for a purification rite."

When they headed off Grandmother said "I think you are forgetting something. The bonding box. Someone needs to make it."

I said "I was going to make it right now. I have the plans right here."

She looked at the plans "Why don you let me make this box. I think I could do it justice."

I looked at her and said "Well if you really want to." I dug a bag out of my bag and handed it to her. "This has everything you should need." She smiled and went off to work. That leaves me with my Items and time on my hands. I went inside to find out how wrong I was. I handed Angel back her link compact. Then went to sit down.

Mother said "Have you broken in your shoes yet?" Shoes, Dang it I forgot to make the shoes. I went upstairs and did that then put them on with knee highs so I could practice. I made a few passes around the room then headed down stairs. I tried to look regal and ended looking over posed. Not good for a wedding. Mother got up and we worked on my stance and poise. After a hour my feet were killing me. I forgot why I didn't wear heels. I hate them is why. They hurt my feet. Well what can you do. I worked some more all the way till dinner. During dinner I worked on table manners. After dinner I worked on sitting properly. I was getting it all. By the time I went to bed I was quite exhausted.

The next morning I found things were speeding up. Angel and Grandmother were both off working and all others had their jobs. The circle was finished and waiting to be used. Mother was bound and determined to make a lady out of me if it kills both of us and she never let up. I still need to prep the site for the purification rite. The last of the food choices needed to be made. My bridesmaids were being fitted for their dresses. Ben's mother was looking after his look and his groomsmen. Over breakfast we hashed out the food and entertainment. After that I went out to do my prep work. I flew to the waterfall shower stall and was tempted to loose my self in there for a bit but I did not have the time. So I slipped into the cave behind it I looked around It was big enough. I just needed to clean it up a bit. So that's what I did for a half hour. There was a path of sorts leading down to the ground level that I cleaned up and made some parts easier. Everyone should be able to clime to the cave. I flew and got a whole lot of pillows to sit on and lad them around. I created two braziers for the fires and brought in wood. I was done with the prep work here. I flew down to my home and made a list of who I wanted at the rite. The grand total came to twenty. I would ask them after lunch. Mother was still on me from the first time I entered. Well I guess it is her job to make me a Lady. I left right after lunch to ask those I wanted to be at the rite.

I started with My Mages Darla, Veronica, Vanessa, Jan, Sophie and Eva. Then the New Mages Linda, Fran, Sammie and Helen. Then the rest of the Six Jenny, Tina, Jessie, Tara and Angel. Then Janis, Dixie and Zoe. Lastly Mother and Grandmother. then everyone was asked. All twenty said yes to coming. So the rite was set. By combining the rites I cut the time to half a day. Dang I forgot the Priestess I mentioned this to Grandmother. She said not to worry the Priestess would be here in the morning. She had taken care of it.

After lunch I took time to look over things as they sat we were almost ready. Then Mother came up with the paperwork form both Crystalis and Sanctuary. Dang there was a lot to fill out. Some I needed Ben for. Just then He showed up. After a hug we got to work. The forms were very long and very tiring. We had it done before dinner. Ben had Dinner with Grandmother, Mother and I. It was a bit tense at first but then went fine.

After Dinner Ben and I got a little time together. We sat on the porch being all proper for about a single moment. Then we were cuddling and talking about all the things we had been doing. It was the Break I needed to bring me back to life. After he left I headed up to go to bed. I stopped before putting on my nightgown. I took a good look at myself in the mirror. I would not say I was a stunning gorgeous but I would say I was pretty. My hair could be longer and maybe a shade or two blonder. I could change it but why? This is who I am and I like myself.

I felt it something is wrong. Angel something was wrong with Angel! I was moving with out thinking I was in my work clothes and my wings were out. Grandmother came out of the spare room to see what was happening. One look at my face and she followed me out and into the air. I was pushing myself to go faster than I had ever gone before. To go through the halls would take too long so I used my link with the crystal open a hole directly to the Queen's apartments. Grandmother followed me in then the hole closed. I landed and with a wave of my hand the door opened. I rushed in to find Angel on the ground nearly completely covered with scales. Her eyes were different larger and darker. She was transforming and was in a great amount of pain! I took her hand and put my energy into her to stabilize what was happening. Her pain reduced and she was able to focus on me. I shared my shifting ability with her and that helped she sat up the changes slowed and smoothed out. Her wings formed and she was not so afraid any more. That let the changes turn into shifts. She pushed to her feet. and turned to the mirror in the corner. She was a Dragon girl. She looked real good to me. It was a very pretty form. She looked at me I nodded. I let my other form out. I had know it was there for a wile But my shifting skill kept it hidden. My new form was the same yet it was quite evident that this form was made up of the Elements and could change into any one of them at the flick of a thought. I spoke "This is not the time for these forms. The time will come but not now." I shifted back. She struggled then finally shifted back. "accept your new self and you will find your abilities will grow. The Dragon form was given to you to protect you, do not fear it. Our link will grow now that you are not blocking. Sleep now and all this will be but a dream tomorrow." I touched her head and caught her as she collapsed. I put her to bed. Kissed her forehead and left.

As soon as we were out of the Crystal Hall Grandmother said "Will you be explaining that?" I shook my head "I did not think so. We should get back. Can you fly?" I nodded and we took to the air. She said "You are not Ember are you? You are the Blessing are you not?"

I said "Ember is here but it was too soon for her to change I had to act. Ember is dreaming. They will both think all this was a dream tomorrow. It is best for now. They are not ready." We got back to my home and went in I was stumbling. Grandmother guided me to bed and put me in the discarded nightgown. She laid me down and covered me up. She kissed my forehead and I slept deep and long.

In the morning I got up feeling pretty good, stronger somehow. I just shrugged it off I had a lot to do this morning. I went down and Grandmother was having a cup of tea. I said "Good morning how are you this morning? When is the Priestess due in?"

She said "Good morning I am good. Any time now. Do you want to fly over and meet her? A good morning flight really gets the blood flowing. Don't you think so?"

I replied "Yes it does. Yes will you be coming with me?" She nodded "Good then a quick breakfast and then a morning flight. I counted with the Priestess that makes twenty one Women that will be looking at me naked. It is part of the rite and will probably stop the rumor but I don't have to like it." I ate quickly and washed up then we were out the door. The flight to the main mirror room was relaxing. A portal request came in just as we got there. The Combat mage looked at me then opened the shutters. the portal opened. I was expecting one or two but twenty priests and priestesses came through. I was on the edge of being angry. Grandmother seemed startled. I stepped forward "What is this about? We asked for one priestess to oversee a wedding not a invasion!"

An Arrogant Priest said " We heard there was a bunch of unbelievers here so we came to see to them. Who would you be to ask the god's troops?"

I said "I am Princess Ember Rose De La Silver Skyflower Lady Grand Mage of Sanctuary, Sister to Queen Angel of Sanctuary, Daughter of Queen Aslila of Crystalis and Granddaughter of the Archmage! and Who are you?"

He looked a little pale and gave a half bow "I am the head priest of the Sword of god troop. My name is Jessup."

I said "Open the portal send them back! I will not have such heavy handed people bothering the good people of Sanctuary!" The priest drew a sword from his clothes. The knights quickly stepped in front of me swords out. The combat mage hit the alarm and started to open the portal to send them back. Then there was ten knights swords out all pointed at the jerk. I could feel the combat mages getting ready to cast. I needed to do nothing for the moment. The portal opened and a shy looking girl dressed like a priestess came through. Jessup decided to cut his losses and led his troops through the portal. All but the knights and the combat mage on duty left as soon as the portal closed. I stood looking at the girl standing to one side looking scared. Grand mother went over to the girl and said "Are you sent by Great Mother Rena?" The girl nodded too scared to speak. "Relax girl that nastiness was not directed at you. There were hard core types that came through before you. We asked them to leave. We showed that we can make them so they left. What is your name dear?"

She spoke finally "Fawn that's my name. This is my first assignment. I am eighteen. I was sent here to help with a wedding?"

I smiled "You will do fine. Yes a wedding have you heard of the walking the circle ceremony?" I hoped she had.

Fawn said "Yes miss, I studied most of the ways to get married. It is my favorite part of this job. Is that the one being used? Who is the bride?"

I said "Yes that is the one being used. The Bride is me my name is Ember."

She smiled "Nice to meet you. When is the wedding? Do you want to do the purification rites? Do you have a priest to take care of the males? May I meet the Elders.

I chuckled "Nice to meet you too. The weddings tomorrow. Yes, I designed my own rite. no, we just let the boys take care of themselves. As to our Elder you have already talked to her." I pointed to Grandmother.

Grandmother said "You may call me Elder if you like. I'm just this pup's Grandmother.

Fawn caught up with what I was saying "What did you say the Wedding is Tomorrow! That's not enough time for the rites! Why the rush?"

I said "I am going back to school and need the time for a honeymoon. We can do the rites as I have them planed. But we need to hurry I have to get the people in place. The rite is in three and a half hours. so we have to get going. tell me are you afraid of heights?" She shook her head. I smiled and let out my wings. The flight to the waterfall was a little different. I have never carried someone before. I landed on the ledge and set her down. "All you have to do is watch I will do everything." The next two hours was getting everyone up to the cave. We were ready early so I flew down and got sandwiches and lots of drinks. The others ate While I worked myself up to do this. On time I started. I said "Thank you all for being here. At this point all you have do is watch and understand." I lit the fires and stripped I stood for a moment then walked into the stall and let the water wash me clean. I turned an hid nothing they could see everything. I push myself to get out and stand before them. I did and after a moment I reached out with my magic and took the light from the fires and wrapped it around myself. I began to weave it into a dress and panties It was a very hard spell but in the end it worked. I had a dress made of woven light. I took a step forward and it stayed together. I said "That ends the rite of water and light. The last one is the one you are all here for. To complete it I must talk and consider my life in retrospect. This is a safe zone anything said here stays here. I will speak of my life and how it made me feel. To unburden myself before the wedding tomorrow. You may ask what you will and I will answer. For the next three hours I told my Tale. Everyone there had a piece of it but no one had all of it not even me. For time sake I will not repeat what was said it is what you are reading right now mostly. Now back to the story.

I was drained. I had talked myself out. I was clean inside and out. I had a late dinner then went right to bed.

First thing in the morning I got up ready to get married. It was still quite early but I could not wait so I headed down for some tea. My bridesmaids were here already. Angel took chare and I got a good breakfast. then we went to look at the dress and shoes I got into the lingerie and loved it as my girls pampered me by doing my hair and nails. When done the nails were just not up to the dress so I crystallized them into sapphires. The girls wanted theirs to be like that so I did it for them in the type of their dresses. We all giggled at that. My hair took a long time to do. It was a very intricate hair-do. We looked at the time still had one hour to go. I got up and got out the Dress. Carefully they helped me put on the dress. Then the shoes went on. I put on the choker with the key. Grandmother gave it to me last night. I looked at Ben's ring it and the choker is the only jewelry I need today. I smiled time to walk to the Island. I took out a cloak and covered the dress till I was ready to go through the ceremony. We looked at each other and smiled. we headed out of my home.

We walked with them around me Angel leading, Jenny on my right, Tina on my left and Zoe behind. This is the way we walked to the Island and my love. Walking so far in heels for me was a new and painful thing to do. The pain did keep my mind off what could go wrong. It took a quarter hour to make it to the bridge a Honor Guard fell in be hind us at the bridge. It was almost time. I felt a calm come over me I straightened up slightly took a breath I was ready.

We came in sight of the crowd that awaited us. a few more than I thought. All of Sanctuary was here to see the wedding of their Lady Grand Mage and Their Captain of the Royal Guard! I stopped I could see Ben stop opposite waiting for the Bridesmaids and Groomsmen to get in place. I Smiled there it was time to go I dropped the cloak and stepped forward proudly! I came to the edge of the circle and after a hearts beat I turned and walked along the circle to the right. Ben moving the same way. Our eyes never leaving each others. When I got to the spot he had entered the circle again a hearts beat then moved to the inner spiral track that would take me to my love. Step by step we came closer and closer. Then we met at the table. I had never stopped smiling. Ben and I took off the chokers and slid the keys into our hands. With our eyes still locked we pressed the keys together to make one key. With our hands together we put the key in the lock and turned. We heard the click and we released the key to open the box together. Ben and I smiled. Ben said Lady's first.

I took a breath and released his hand and took out my items. I held up the first one a little crystal dancer and said "This is my body I give to you." I put the item into the first of four slots on my side of the box. Next I took out a tiny crystal book "This is my mind I give to you." I slid it into the box. Next I took out a crystal fairy "This is my spirit I give to you." I slide it into the box. Lastly I took out a Tiny crystal heart with a crown "And this is the abounding love I give to you." I slid the last item into the box.

I smiled a little brighter. "Your turn"

He took out his items. The first was a tiny knife "This is my body I give to you." He slid the knife into the slot. Next was a little harp "this is my mind I give to you." He slid it into the box. Next was a little dove "This is my spirit I give to you" He slid it into the box. And lastly was a tiny shield "This is my love to forever protect you with." He slid the last item into the box.

We took hands and closed and locked the box. we separated the keys and put them back on the chokers and put on the chokers. Then we lifted the box and took it to stand before the Elder and the Priestess. We held up the box.

Grandmother the Elder Said "I recognize these two as one!"

The Priestess Said "I recognize these two as one!

We lowered the box. The crowd exploded with cheers!

We did we were married. I was a married woman! We handed the box to Darla to hold for one year. At that time if we are still in love, the keys would be melted down and the metal poured into the lock sealing our love forever.

We moved over to the feast field and the party began.

There was speeches, dancing and entertainment. I don't really remember all that. I could not stop smiling the whole time. After a very long time We finally came to the end of it all and the starting of our honeymoon. We decided to just take four days at my, now our home. We had been going so hard for all summer it would be nice to just relax with my husband.

I kissed the bridesmaids, Mother and Grandmother. Ben shook the hands of his groomsmen and kissed his Mother. Then with a final wave we started of to our home.

I will skip what happens next. I will let your imaginations fill in those four days.

That left one week left before I went back to school. I did not want to leave Ben but there was nothing either of us could do about it. We got our lives to live and we will be together as much as we can.

Ben and I had breakfast together getting ready for the day. A knock came at the door. Sasha was back so she went to get it. in flew the brood and Cryss came in later with Darla. I smiled at Darla and Cryss "I have decided that to keep down the damage that the brood should be each given to the Six and you Darla. Cryss will still stay with me but Sie, Mie, Lin, Rin, Tie and Misty will go to each of the Six and you. How dose that sound?"

Darla said "It should give them some work to do. All they do is play. I'll take Misty." I nodded an pointed out the gray is dragon. Cryss made a sound and the dragon in question came over to Cryss who made a head bob Darla's way and Misty went to her. Darla looked at the dragon and said "You are Misty you will live with me now." Misty snuggled up to her. I smiled watching this. Ben chuckled.

I said "Now that's done, do we have a meeting this morning? I was going to go see the girls and give them there dragons."

Darla smiled "Nothing that can't wait. I am going to hire some clerks from another Mage Hall to work at ours. I wanted to know if you wanted to go?"

I smiled "You can take care of it, you will be in charge of the hall when I am in school. I trust you to run a good hall. The Mages and the new mages will answer to you when I am not around. Of Course I have this just in case." I held up a link compact. "Try not to use it during class time. I am trying to get good grades." I turned to Ben and gave him a quick peck. the sparks were still there but very much subdued. "See you at dinner dear." I got up and got my bag. I looked at Cryss who made a noise and the reduced brood followed her out. I smiled and walked out to face the day.

The first I ran into was Tara I waved her down. "I have a present for you." I handed her A dark dragon "Her name is Tie. Help her to grow please." Tara gave me a hug.

Tara said "But why break up the brood? I thought Cryss was their Mother. Shouldn't they stay with her."

I sighed "As we all must sometime, they must grow up to take their place guarding Sanctuary. They have had their play time it is time to grow. Cryss is ok with this."

Tara looked at me a bit sad. Then waved and was off with Tie following her. I continued my wander and ran into Tina next. It went about the same but her dragon was named Lin.
I found Jessie and gave her Rin. I went to Crystal hall and found Angel and Jenny hard at work.

I smiled "You two look hard at work." I curtsied to angel. I have a gift for both of you. Jenny yours is called Mie. Angel yours is called Sie." I handed them the dragons. They looked at me. "I decided with Cryss's approval that it is time for the brood to learn and grow. So I have given one to each of the Six and Darla. In time The dragons will be a part of the defense of Sanctuary. To do this they need to grow up. They can't do this together. Moving on is part of life."

Angel said "You are not leaving us are you?"

I said "No I am staying just things are changing. I am married now. I have to do a bit of Growing up myself. We all do at some point some sooner than others. The brood will bond with the people and grow to be more like them. Diversity is good in defense and life. Keeping all the dragons together is not smart. One surprise attack and all our dragons go down at once."

Jenny said "You really think about these things don't you?" I nodded "It is kind of sad that you have to. I am just glad you are doing it I feel safer."

Angel said well am I not the big sister? You really sound older since you married Ben. I am going to have to try and catch up." She smiled at me. They both snuggled their dragons.

I left them to get to know their dragons and headed home. I flew thinking we had not had any raider attacks for a bit. Just then the back door wards went off. I altered course to the mirror room in trouble. I landed and asked the combat mage on duty what set the wards off?

"Your highness there is a attack on the mirror going on. A Ice Attack." She reported. I sighed and tripped the second trap. The stone flipped into place. The back door room only has one mirror to worry about. I watched as a film began to form on the rock. I almost missed it. It was a Ice mirror. a trick I have used myself.

I yelled "Cryss melt that ice now!" Cryss reacted with a blast of flame ten foot long. Totally taking out the ice. The stone was blackened and so was the room. The combat mage looked at little Cryss and shook her head. I smiled "Never judge a dragon by her size. Don't let any Ice sheets form they can portal through them." Zoe and three combat mages came running up.

Zoe said "What is going on your highness?"

I smiled the Raiders have a new trick. Ice magic they pour it through the mirror and it forms Ice sheets on the rock. they home in on those I sheets an use it like a mirror. Gets right around our traps. But we just have to not let them form the ice and it is no threat."

Zoe said "I will see to it my combat mages all know one fire spell." Cryss let off another blast. "Or have a dragon around. Impressive Cryss!" If a dragon could look smug Cryss managed it. The attack did not last very much longer. I left with Cryss heading home and a date to call the headmaster.

When I got home I went upstairs to use my vanity mirror to make the link. The Headmaster answered right away. "Yes, how may I help you?"

I said "Good Day Headmaster I just was checking that everything was going well. Are the Tangents still backed off?"

He said "Good day Princess. Yes, everything is fine so far. Those people seem to have no teeth any longer. I heard a flight of ten Dragons and a hundred troops took out their main compound. It is all over the school. You would not have anything to do with that?"

I said "There was only seven Dragons and twenty troops. You should never listen to rumors. They should have never messed with our school. Well I am looking forward to coming to school as myself for once. Just five days left."

He sighed "I am afraid there are other rumors that you should know about. fist there is a rumor that royalty is coming to the school in the fall term. Second that this is a home for other world kids. and third people are saying magic is real and some people here know how to use it. I don't know how these rumors got started but it is all over." Dang it those rumors are true.

I sighed "Thank you for telling me. I can do nothing about it till I'm there. Maybe not even then. How many of the sixteen have decided to return to the school?"

He smiled "All have decided to come back I am so happy. We are going to have a good year I know it."

I said "Yes I am sure we are. I have to go now lunch is waiting. Have a good day." I broke the link. This is not the good news I wanted to hear.

I went down and had lunch trying not to think on the implications of what I just heard. In no way does this seem to help me. After lunch I decided to go talk to Angel she is the political one maybe she can think of a way to make this work for us. I grabbed my bag and headed out. I took to the sky an felt better riding the strange winds in this cavern. Cryss glided with me. I liked having her along. When I finally got to Crystal Hall things were in a tizzy. I walked in and had to laugh. The maids were setting out all kinds of foods for the dragons and they were turning there noses up at them. Angel looked perplexed. I smiled "Having problems sis?" I curtsied "What are you trying to do?"

Angel said "She need to grow, so she need to eat. But what do Dragons eat? I am trying to find out." I fished into my pocket and tossed Sie a crystal chip. Se grabbed it and started to munch. "What was that you just gave her?" I held up a chip.

I said "Crystal chip, They are crystal dragons so they eat crystals." Jenny was watching this and gave me this look. I flipped Mie a chip. Jenny smiled. "Different dragons prefer different types of crystals. You will need to find out what type Sie and Mie want. But only a little at a time you don't want them to get fat." Cryss gave me a look and I flipped her a larger chip. She was happy. I kept a pocket full of chips jut for the dragons.

Jenny said "I will talk to the others and tell them this." She wrote something down.

Angel asked "What brings you back today? I thought you would be working after all that time off?"

I sighed "I was talking to the Headmaster just a little bit ago and he told me some rumors he had been hearing. I don't know what to think about these rumors. So I came to my big sis for advice." I repeated the rumors.

Angel thought for a bit. Then said "We are in trouble these rumors are true so what about the exaggerated ones? When we get there hopefully they will have talked themselves out but I wont count on it. We can't do anything from here and you will be seen as new so will no be able to do anything about it in any case. I will work on it next week when we get there. So just leave it to me." I smiled feeling better. I handed Angel a few crystal chips and Jenny some too. Then I headed out to find Ben to tell him about the Ice sheets. That didn't take long I informed the combat mage on duty at the main mirror room, our front door, of the danger. Then I decided to see how the farm was doing.

I looked the crops were growing and the workers were flirting wile working. Helen came up. "Your highness how's married life treating you? Getting time to go back to school isn't it?"

I smiled "Life is life. Yes, next week. How is your life going here? Do you miss the modern world?"

She smiled "Life is life. I miss some things but have found others. This is good work and I can use my magic openly again that is a very good thing. You look tired are you getting enough sleep?" The look she gave me was pure mom. She may not be my Mother but she is my mom. For once I let the past go a little and truly forgave her.

I sighed and said from the heart "I love you, you know. Even when you were so distant I never stopped loving you. You may have not given birth to me but you did raise me that makes you my mom." I gave her a quick but strong hug. "I forgive you." This is really why I came to the farm today. After a long moment "I have to get back to work no rest for the wicked." I hugged her again and then headed for the Mage Hall. I had not settled into my office there and I needed to.

The Mage Hall was done and ready to start up. As Grand Mage I ran the place but preferred to work out of my Den at home. I got to my office and opened the door to find a replica of my Den at hone right down to the perch for Cryss. I hung up my bag and smiled as I prepared to get some work done. I was there doing paperwork till dinner. Then I went home to have dinner with my hubby.

I was sitting on the porch with Ben when Darla came up with four young ladies. Darla said "Your highness I would like to introduce your new Mage clerks this is Heather, Talulah, Yvette and Vicki. Ladies this is our Lady Grand Mage, Princess Ember Del La Silver Skyflower-Starstone and her husband Ben." I know with that intro she was tweaking Bens nose. I smiled "You know that Ben has titles too. Just what they are at the moment escapes me but there are some. I decided to tweak a little too while defending my husband. Ben leaned over and gave me a quick peck.

He said "Husband is enough for me tonight." Oh I do love him.

Darla said to them "Never mind those two they are just back from their honeymoon and they are still in the love sick phase. She really is a good Grand Mage most of the time." I gave Ben another peck then looked at the new ladies.

I said to them "Work hard don't gossip and keep the hall running good and we will have no problems. I am easy to work for I haven't changed anyone into a toad in a week or so." I said the last in a screen witch voice. It got smiles from the clerks.

Darla said "Well we will leave you to your night. Good night your highness."

I said "Smile when you say that. Darla meeting in my office in the morning. Good night all."

After Breakfast the next morning I was sitting in my office when Darla knocked then came in. She was smiling.

I said "Good morning. Was this your idea?" I gestured around. She nodded. "I do like it. now to work" Fore the next four hours we hashed out the projects that needed done while I was at school. Then we went to my home to have lunch.

After lunch we called in the mages that were not already working and gave out jobs for the up coming week.

Then I spoke to the mages "While I am away you will take you orders from Darla here. We will be going slow as we find our feet in this new hall but I want everyone to be proud of it and themselves. I will still be around for four days so hopefully we will get everything set by then. After that I will be here on weekends. This does not mean I will be out of touch. I will be talking to Darla at least twice a week. Alright let's get out there and do our jobs well. Like I know you all can do."

After the mages filed out I looked at Darla "Is all this going to work? Most of us are all so young."
Darla said "You maybe young but you are growing up fast. I am proud of you. You make a great Lady Grand Mage."

I said "I hate to say it but in four days I am going to school and I'll not be here if something happens. I worry about that."

Darla Smiled "And that is what makes you a great Princess, Your Highness.

To be Continued
As always all Life giving comments Welcome and Loved.
up
192 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

FIRST COMMENT!!!!

Alecia Snowfall's picture

Well now things seemed to have settled down long enough to get the nuptials out of the way. Those raiders are persistent, wonder exactly what they're after? I like the plan with the dragons, very cool and amusing.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

wedding

what a beautiful wedding ceremony. I loved the words spoken when the objects went in the box. im sure it will be sealed at the end of the year. keep the good work.
robert

001.JPG

Great chapter!

How old are the six? I thought when this started that they were in college, I was probably thrown by the fact that they're in some sort of boarding school.

nomad

My impression

I got the idea that they were junior high age (14ish) so wondered at the marriage even if they are now in physically adult bodies.


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

Ember's very unique and

Ember's very unique and special circle ceremony seems like a wonderful way to start a new married life. It is simple, yet quite elegant; not smarmy in the least and everyone watching and hearing, including me, understood the meanings of each and every item placed into the box by either Ember or Ben.
How lovely. Janice

Age is in the mind

GypsyWoman's picture

For those asking Ember is in the second year of high school (skipped a few grades) and is 15 and Ben is 17 and in his last year of high school. They got married early but are truly in love. Grandmother approved.

Kat H

Not Sure...

...why any of them -- Ember and Angel in particular -- are returning to school, given the logistics concerns in putting the Sanctuary portals back into regular (or at least predictable) use. Even with the Tangent threat reduced, it didn't seem as though Sanctuary was planning to lower its guard -- probably with good reason, since raider attacks continue and now, apparently, radical priests are mobilized against them as well.

(And there are apparently 16 more students coming to the school from Crystalis and four others from elsewhere on the Other Side, minus any who graduated last summer, plus any more who are coming in for their first year, if the newbies haven't all been scared off by the kidnapping. I'm guessing that those 20 don't commute more than occasionally if at all; it's really difficult to believe that so many people could use portals regularly without discovery.)

There's actually an unexplained situation already regarding Jenny, Jessie, Tina and Tara. Presumably they're all from Earth families; the process of crossing over was clearly new to them back in Chapter 3. But nothing's been said about their contact or lack thereof with their parents/legal guardians or siblings over the summer, especially in view of the portal shutdown. There'd need to be some communication if only to keep their tuition money coming to the school. And there was no reason to believe that they were all so estranged from their families as to want to abandon them for good, though they presumably weren't close.

(I suppose it could all have been playacting, and they were either Crystalis natives or people hired by Grandmother. But there are two problems with that. One is that Crystalis had no reason to mobilize that kind of teenage spy ring at the school beforehand, given that Grandmother says that she and Aslina had to improvise their responses as situations changed. The other is that that would get us perilously (IMO) near to a situation where Ember was being manipulated by everyone that Eric knew -- we're darn close already, and we've already seen Ember complain about deliberately being kept in the dark.)

Anyway, the Six all have work to do in Sanctuary (some more than others), and not everything can be handled by clerks, even if they have done a surprisingly quick job of setting up a bureaucracy, given all the paperwork that Ember mentioned having to fill out over the past few chapters. (Is Darla both the Regent and the acting Grand Mage?)

Seems to me that some sort of independent study program involving the school, limiting student appearances there to once a week or thereabouts and having the two teachers who know about Sanctuary spend some time there, would make more sense for everyone. It'd all be aboveboard except for the knowledge as to just where the independent students were.

Eric

(Those dragon names, BTW, with the incongruous final entry, reminded me a lot of the reputed Vulcan legal firm of Spock, Spiik, Speik, Spork and Roddenberry.)

One More Quick Question...

What we've been seeing so far on the Other Side seems to be isolated feudal city-states. Is there a Holy Roman Empire type of structure behind them? Along those lines, what exactly is Grandmother the Archmage of -- just Crystalis, or something larger?

Eric

Sanctuary is evolving nicely.

Sanctuary is evolving nicely..Reading your feedback I was envisioning Ember and friends at about the right age..Hope this new year will be good.

alissa