Badasses Of the Multiverse: Book 5: Volume 1: Chapter 17

Printer-friendly version

Badasses Of the Multiverse Book 5: “The Gambling Man.”

Volume 1: “De La Plata Podrido.”

Chapter 17: “Crashing Down.”

By Paul Cousins.

Copyright Disclaimer: All copyrighted places, characters, items, and events, within the story, are held by their current owners. No profit is being made on this work of fiction.

(_)

Two days after the poker game between Lee and River, it was one five PM, on a cool, mostly cloudy day, with a light breeze.

Lee was coming back, in his pink Cadillac, to the Rats Nest, from having nice lunch at a wonderful cuban restaurant.

Presently, the windows and roof of Lee's Cadillac were raised.

When Lee reached the Rats Nest parking lot, to the left of the Rats Nest building, he parked his car near the back of the parking lot. So, it would not attract to much attention.

Lee got out, as he planned to head back into the bar, and wait for Sam to show up, to continue their poker game.

Lee and Sam had met that morning, at the Rats Nest. After Sam left a message at the Devil's Hotel check in desk, for Lee, to meet him at the Rats Nest bar, later that morning, right are the bar opened.

Later that morning, both Lee and Sam meet each other, in the Rats Nest parking lot. When they both parked their cars. Lee with his pink Cadillac. And Sam with his four door gray car.

They then both headed inside, and played poker, at their usual table, for over an hour. Then, when it was a quarter passed noon, they decided that it was time to get some lunch.

Though, the two men decided to get lunch at to different places. And with both of them having a car, this was not an inconvenience for either of them.

Now, at one five PM, Lee just had to wait for Sam to show back up, before they could continue to enjoy the afternoon together.

While Lee locked, and shut his car door, he heard thunder. He looked up at the ever darkening storm clouds.

Lee thought, 'This storm has been building all day. Except for that, this has been a good day weather wise. A nice pleasant breeze from the gulf, with cool temperatures. But, not cold. Still, I do not mind getting a little wet.'

'And I am glad that my car windows and roof are raised. So, I don't have to go to the trouble to do so, now.'

'Now, to get inside, before it starts to rain.'

Lee then walked around his car. As Lee walked to the side of the building, towards the front side of the Rats Nest bar, he noticed three men in casual clothing, consisting of pants and shirts. The three men were walking towards him, from across the street, from the Rats Nest bar parking lot.

What concerned Lee was that not only were the three men were approaching him, but they were doing so at a brisk pace.

Suddenly, Lee's precognition screamed danger.

Lee thought, with worry, 'If those men are who I think they are, I am screwed. And there is not time to get back into my car, or make it into the bar. I am going to have to run for it. Fortunately, passed the low hanging concrete wall behind the bar, there is an alleyway that leads into the heart of the city. And I know this town well enough, that if I can get there, I can lose them.'

Lee immediately turned around, and ran for the concrete wall.

As Lee started running, the three men behind him, gave chase.

It only took Lee two seconds to turned to his left side, as he leaned over, and rolled off the four foot tall the concrete wall behind the parking lot to the Rats Nest, with him landing on his feet. It was a trick that Sam had taught him in the time loop.

Once Lee was in the paved alleyway, on the other side of the wall, Lee started running down left of the Rats Nest bar building, away from the building and his car, as he headed towards the exit of the alleyway he wanted to go to.

With that exit to the alleyway, leading to two lane street, being sixty feet from where Lee entered the alleyway.

As Lee was running down the alleyway, Lee could hear the men chasing him, land onto the pavement of the alleyway. Their booted footsteps were loud enough that Lee could tell that they were only thirty feet away, and closing in on him.

Lee could see he was getting closer to the exit of the alleyway, as he thought, 'I just got to get to the exit, then I can lose them. After that, I will figure out what to do. I might have to surrender to someone. I am just not sure who.'

As Lee made it to twenty feet from the exit of the alleyway, a black van drove up in front of the exit, blocking the way.

Lee saw the right side of the van facing him. And through the windows, Lee noticed the driver sitting on the left side of the front seats of the van. On the right side of the van, directly facing Lee, was a large sliding door, that was currently closed.

A few seconds after Lee saw his exit had been cut off, he immediately came to a stop. He thought, 'If I believe what is about to happen, happens, I might as well take care of my hat and glasses, while I still have time.

Lee immediately took off his hat and glasses. He swiftly put his glasses in his left interior coat pockets. And he tucked his hat in the back of his pants, under his jacket.

Suddenly, Lee saw, in front of him, the sliding door to the van opened up, to reveal two men, in casual clothing, each with a sub-machine guns pointed at him.

One of the men yelled, in english, “Freeze.”

Lee thought, 'I have no other choice.' Lee immediately stopped moving, as he held up his hands.

Lee heard the three men from behind him finally catch up to him, and stop right behind him.

Lee remains expressionless, as he kept his hands in the air. He did not dare look behind him, nor make any sudden movements.

Though, Lee mentally screamed, 'Shit! What am I going to do now? None of my options are good. If someone is tailing me, these men are likely dead. But, if they are not, I am likely worse off.'

Lee felt one of the men, behind him, grip his right wrist, and hold it, behind Lee's lower back, with the man's on right hand. The man then reached up and gripped his left wrist, with the man's own left wrist, bringing it down, to Lee's lower back.

Lee then felt them slip on, and tighten plastic cuffs around his wrists, behind him lower back.

Lee thought, 'At least they are not too tight, and not blocking the blood circulation to my hands.'

From behind, another man swiftly slipped a black hood over Lee's head, blocking his sight.

Lee sarcastically thought, 'Just great. This is so cliche. Still, it is clear whomever is interested in me back home, does not want my capture to be on any official record. If that was not the case, they would have sent a Mexican state police officer to serve me an arrest warrant, back at the Devil's Hotel.'

Lee then felt sets of hands, on both side of his, grip his elbows, and force him to swiftly walk towards the van.

As they walked, in a hurried manner, Lee heard one of the men behind him say, “We have you now, scumbag.”

Lee did not respond.

A few seconds later, Lee felt himself being pushed into the van.

A couple of seconds afterward, Lee heard the others getting into the van, with the sliding door of the van being closed behind them.

(_)

At that moment, on the street, the van was park on, a hundred feet behind the back of the van, a pink motorcycle with a driver had just drove up onto the street, from around the corner, where the Rats Nest was.

The driver was dressed in white t-shirt, brown pants, brown belt, white tennis shoes, and a brown robes.

The driver also wore a brown helmet, with tinted visor, that completely covered their face and head. Along with that, there was a metal cylinder strapped to the right side of the person's belt.

As the black van drove off, the motorcycle and driver followed.

(_)

Inside the van, Lee felt the van begin to move. From the sound of the motor, revving up, their speed was picking very quickly.

Lee thought, 'They probably want to get out off this island, before anyone realizes I am missing.'

Just then, someone ordered, “Sitting on your knees, and bend downward.'

Lee complied.

Lee moved from his sitting position, to kneeling on both knees, on the vans bar metal floor, with him bending his upper body in a downward angle, towards the floor of the van.

Lee thought, 'This position is quite uncomfortable, and likely intentionally so. But, along with my cuffed hands, this position also prevents me from making any movements. Still, my conscience demands that I at least warn them about what is going on. Even if they won't listen to me.'

Through the hood cover his face, Lee stated, in a calm, yet clear, and strong tone of voice, in english, “I don't know what you have been told. But, you need to let me go, before the others after me, find us, and kill you all.”

Lee heard someone yell, “Shut up, traitor!”

Lee sadly thought, 'So, whatever lies they were told about me, involved false accusations of treason. That means I can never go home, again. Still, I have to try one more time.'

While making sure he did not sound desperate, Lee calmly stated, in a louder tone of voice, “I am not saying this for my benefit, but for yours! You have no idea what is really going on! And I am trying to save your lives!”

Lee suddenly felt a someone pull the back of his hood to were he leaned up.

Lee then felt the barrel of a gun press against his right temple, as he heard a male voice say, in english, “Shut up, or we will kill you! Understand?!”

Lee silently nodded.

Lee felt the barrel of the gun removed from his temple, as the same male voice said, “Good.”

Lee then was pushed back down into the crouching position

Lee thought, with annoyance, 'What idiots. And the worst part is they likely don't realize they are being used.'

(_)

At that moment, the captain of the black ops team that had just capture Lee, was sitting in the front passenger seat of the van, as one of his subordinates drove them as quickly out of town as possible.

Like the rest of his team, the captain was dressed in casual clothing. And they were all armed with pistols. A few of them even had a sub-machine guns, as well.

The captain had just listened to what their target has just said, as he thought, with concern, 'Even though we have the target, and we are heading out of this town, something does not feel right about the situation. This was suppose to be a simple snatch and grab operation. I was told this guy we got is a nobody whom got a hold of top secret information, and he fled to mexico to sell that information to the drug cartels. And by doing so, he is both a traitor, and a terrorist, to his country.'

'Yet, the way he was screaming at us, right now. It clear he is more concerned with our lives, than his own. A traitor and a terrorist would not be concerned for our lives. They would try to be cutting a deal, or something. This man is not.'

'Something odd is going on here.'

'This is further proven by the last few days we have been secretly following him on foot, and with this black van. The only ones he has talked to are some clearly insane women, a cute bartender, and bearded man.'

'And that poker game he was in, was just plain nuts.'

'He was clearly on the receiving end of that game, and was no friend to that casino owner. And what is with that owner and her girlfriend? Chang and River. They look like the characters with those same names, from those respective series. Except River dyed her hair red... But, that would be impossible...'

The captain then continued his thoughts, with even more concern, ''Though, now that I think about it. Those other girls the target was with looked familiar too... I think we may have stepped into something bigger, that our superiors didn't want us to learn about.'

Just as the captain was about to order the hood taken off Lee, to question him, his van came under attack.

Everyone in the van felt as the vehicle was turned on its left side, and slide to a stop, on the room. With the right side of the van, with the sliding door, facing upwards.

(_)

As Lee was left laying on the inside of the van, he heard the driver turned off the motor to the van.

A second later, a man asked, in english, “Is anyone hurt?”

Lee remained silent, as he heard other voices say, “No.”

The man then stated, “Alright. Get out. But, leave the target in the van.”

Lee thought, 'This is good. It means I have time to come up with a plan of escape. But, for now. I will listen, and hear how the situation plays out.'

(_)

The other men in the vehicle quickly opened the passenger and sliding doors, to get out.

As they swiftly got out, with them helped each other out of the van, and onto the ground, they noticed that the sky had gotten darker, with the clouds now blocking out most of the light. There was lightning a few miles away, that illuminated the area with flashes of lightning, accompanied with cracks of thunder.

When the men were all out of the van, and on the road, they had pulled out their weapons, as they looked around them.

Including the captain, there were seven men in total, in the group.

All of them had their weapons at the ready, as they looked around. Two of the men had sub-machine guns, while the others had their pistols drawn.

They all noticed there were no any vehicles pass by them, on the road, from either direction.

The captain looked around, as he thought, 'What tipped us over? I don't see anything. But, it had to be something. Still, we had just exited the town, with the buildings about a two hundred yards away from us. With the bridge right in front of us. And there was not on around, except for us. Not even any cars. Something is very wrong here.'

'Perhaps the target is telling the trouble. My orders, are orders. And I cannot just cut him loose, without a damn good reason.'

The captain then turned around, and he saw behind the van, about fifty feet from them, a woman in a brown robe, wearing a brown helmet over her face and head. She was standing beside a pink motorcycle, on the right side of the road. With both the woman and the motorcycle facing them.

The motorcycle was to the woman's left side.

The captain stated, “Six o'clock boys.”

All his men turned around, to see the woman and the motorcycle.

They watched as the woman the unstrapped a metal cylinder from her belt, and she held the item with both of her hands.

Suddenly, they watched as a red energy blade extended from the cylinder, upward, and away from the woman. With blade being around three feet long.

The captains eyes went wide, as he thought, 'Is that?... It is. And it is red!'

Then, the men watched as the pink motorcycle transformed into a tall, pink robot, whom was holding a flaming sword, in each of her two hands.

The captain thought, 'Oh shit. The target was right. We didn't know what is going on. And if that robot is who I think it, we are not getting out of this alive. But, we still have to try.'

The captain ordered, “Fire men! Fire!”

As the men started firing their weapons, the woman used her lightsaber to deflected the bullets that approached her, while the bullets bounced off the pink robot. With both the woman and the robot charging at the men.

Within a few seconds, the woman and the robot bridged the gap between them and the men.

As the two reached the men, they started using their energy weapons to literally slice through the men, with the men dying before their body parts hit the ground.

The captain was the last one remaining alive, as the woman and robot approach him.

A second before the two reached the captain, the captain ran out of ammo, as he thought, 'A Sith, and IDW Arcee. At least I am going to be killed by the best.'

A split second later, the woman used her lightsaber to decapitate him, killing him instantly.

(_)

Meanwhile, several seconds later, inside the back of the van, during on its left side, Lee was still laying on his side, on the interior left wall of the van.

Lee thought, 'Well, the gunfire stopped. So, whatever happened outside is over. The question is what is going to happen now? With the van tipped over, if these men won, they might just cut their losses, kill me, and escape the island on foot.'

'If someone else won, and left on their own, without checking the van. I may have to spend the next little while getting loose from my bindings. But, I know I can do it. It will just take time.'

Suddenly, Lee feel large metallic hands gently left him out of the van and set him on the onto the pavement, in a sitting position.

Then, some mysterious force remove his hood from his head, and snapped his plastic cuffs to pieces.

Lee quickly brought his hands around to his front, as he used his hands to rub his wrists, while he looked up to see his rescuers, standing ten feet in front of him.

While there was still enough light coming through the clouds to see whom his rescues were, it did begin to lightly rain.

And he forced him to remain calm, as he immediately recognized his two rescuers.

In front of him, to his left, stood Annie, whom had her lightsaber deactivated, and hooked to the right side of her belt. In addition, she tucked her helmet under her right arm.

To Lee's right side, standing to Annie's left side, was Arcee, in robot mode, with her swords sheathed.

He thought, 'It might be best to remain calm. And not just for the fact that Annie would immediately pick up something if I wasn't calm. But, these two are likely the two most dangerous women in the city. And given the women I deal with, everyday, in this city. That is saying a lot.'

Lee then looked around and he saw the sliced remains of the men that had kidnapped him.

Lee swiftly pulled out and pulled out his hat and glasses, as he grimly thought, 'Looks like I was wrong about Annie preferring to take the non-violent approach.'

Annie asked, in english, “Lee, are you unharmed?”

Lee looked over at her, as he thought, 'Given the poker game. It is no surprise that both of them know my name.' He answered, “I will be fine.”

Annie then walked over to Lee, and offered him a hand up.

Lee accepted Annie's right hand, with his own right hand.

As Lee stood up, Annie continued to hold his hand, as she stated, “You are ill, Lee. Very ill.”

Lee looked into Annie's eyes, as he gently used his left hand to grip Annie's right hand. He quietly said, “I know.”

Lee and Annie then let go of each other, and they both dropped their hands to their sides.

Arcee stated, in english, “Lee is dying. I believe the illness is called, cancer. And the cancer has riddled his body. The illness appears terminal.”

Lee turned to look at both women at the same time, as he admitted, “I am aware of this.”

Arcee commented, “That actually explains a lot.”

Lee inquired, “What do you mean?”

Lee then noticed that the lips of both women curled into smirks, towards him.

Lee realized, as he thought, with more out of concern, than worry, 'Oh crap. They know. But, how?' He said, “You both know? Don't you?”

Arcee continued to smirk at Lee, as she said, “Yes.”

Annie smirked, as well. She replied, “Anyone else would be presently freaking out by seeing Arcee in robot mode, me with my lightsaber, and this carnage around us.”

Lee thought, 'My poker face finally came back to bite me. Still, it is best to be polite.' He complimented, “Well, you two do excel in the carnage department.”

Both women giggled, for a few seconds, at Lee's comment.

Lee thought, 'Good. I made them happy. And while I am not happy that lives were lost, today. Given they had kidnapped me, and what was likely going to happen to me, if they had accomplished their mission, I feel nothing towards these men's deaths.'

As the two women calmed down, Arcee guessed, “So, you are trying to steal one of the reality devices, from Revy and her friends, in the hopes of not only escaping from them, into the multiverse? But, to also find a cure for your cancer?”

Lee stated, “Yes. To both questions.”

Annie pointed out, “I am sure you are aware that Bob was not able to find a cure for B's cancer? Except for the vat treatment.”

Lee flatly admitted, “Yes. I am aware of that, given I wrote the story in question. And I realize that story has now come back to bite me in the ass, big time.”

The two women erupted into full blown laughter, for a few seconds.

As they calmed down, Lee said, “Still, I have to try.”

Arcee stated, “Good luck.”

Annie then did a Yoda interpretation, as she said, “Do. Or, do not. There is no try.” She then added, in her normal voice, “That is for making me the butt of all those Star Wars jokes.”

Lee could not help both laugh with the two women.

As all three calmed down, Lee commented, “I am not going to apologize for the jokes. It felt like they wrote themselves. But, I did make the jokes clean, and they are not insulting. Just slightly annoying.”

Annie conceded, “True. Which is why I have not force choked you a little, over the matter.”

Lee asked, “And I appreciate that. Onto a more immediate concern. You two are not going to harm, or kill me, for what I did to you.”

Arcee replied, “Nah. Why would I? You gave me some greats friends, some good times, and a nice moonlighting job, with an employer I respect.”

Annie admitted, “Though, I am a little miffed with you, concerning a few things. You did get me out of that black suit, and made my body healthy again. So, no. I am not going to do anything to you.”

Lee breathed a sigh of relief. He then inquired, “Thank you. Now, one more question. You are not going to tell the others, are you? If so, please let me get to my car, and give me a day's head start.”

Annie said, “No. I do not plan too.”

Arcee smiled wickedly, as she replied, “There would be no fun in telling others. Not even Chang.”

Annie said, “Still, Chang wants to see you. And given this kidnapping attempt. I think it might be best if you come with us.” She mentally added, 'And since Chang asked us to follow you, I think he already figured out, who you are, Lee. Or, River told him. Though, knowing River, it is more likely Chang just figured out your identity, on his own.'

Lee stated, “I think you are right. I would prefer to see Chang, over what those guys likely had planned for me.”

Annie replied, “I agree.”

Arcee commented, “I will be ready in a second.”

The two humans then turned to look at Arcee. A second later, the two humans watched as Arcee transformed into motorcycle mode.

Lee thought, with astonishment, 'That is impressive. Though, I wonder...' He questioned, “I take it seeing that transformation, in person, never gets old?”

Annie cracked a grin, as she happily stated, “Nope. It never does.”

Annie then put up her brown helmet back on. Next, she got onto the motorcycle, with Lee getting on the bike, behind her.

As Lee got comfortable on the seat, he adjusted his blue baseball cap backwards, so the wind would not knock it off his head. He then said, “Just so you know. Given the way motorcycle safety is. I have to put my arms around your waist, while we ride. I do not mean to offend you.”

Arcee commented, from the speakers of her motorcycle mode, “He is correct.”

Annie said, “Okay. You may do so.”

Lee carefully put he arms around Annie's lower waist, while being extra careful not to accidentally brush against Annie's breasts.

Annie then started the motorcycle, and they roared down the down the road.

Fortunately, Lee's glasses and cap did much to protect his eyes and the top of his head. But, the rain drops still slightly stunt on the exposed parts of his face and hands, as they rode down the street.

A few minutes later, they reached the casino, and entered the back garage, through on of the back bays, that Arcee used a frequency signal to open.

After they rolled to a stop, inside an open area of the garage, Arcee then sent a signal for the garage door she used, to start to close.

The door closed, as both Lee and Annie got off the bike.

Lee then turned his baseball cap, around, clockwise, so the cap faced the right way. Fortunately, Lee's hair was so short, shift his cap like that did not bother him.

As soon as they got off of Arcee, the autobot transformed into robot mode. Fortunately, the garage was tall enough for Arcee to fully stand inside of.

Annie took off her helmet, and set it on a near by table.

Meanwhile, Lee looked around. Fortunately, the yellow ceiling lights in the room, provided plenty of illumination.

Lee saw that part of the garage was like an auto mechanic pit, while the other parts were parking spaces for Chang's fleet of cars and limo. Along with a few trucks.

Suddenly, Lee heard a female voice, to his right side, say, in english, “Hi guys.”

Lee turned to see Kaylee, wearing pink shirt, under green coveralls and black boots. The green coveralls were only zipped up to Kaylee's stomach, to show her pink shirt underneath.

Kaylee was about twenty feet from the three other individuals in the large room.

Annie and Arcee also turned to Kaylee.

Annie said, “Hi Kaylee.”

Arcee asked, “Hello Kaylee. How is the job going?”

Kaylee answered, “Great. It is always fun working on classic machines. Still, I think you are the most classiest.”

Arcee grinned towards Kaylee, as she replied, “Thank you.”

Lee thought, 'Well, I guess I was right about Kaylee job, and her mood at her new job. Damn. I am good at this.'

Kaylee then turned to Lee, as she asked, “Who is this?”

Annie introduced, “This is Lee. Chang wants to have a talk with him.”

Kaylee inquired, “So, you are the guy that beat, River?”

Lee answered, “Yes.”

Kaylee commented, “You don't look like much.”

Lee could here Arcee and Annie snickering beside him.

Lee thought, 'Compared to the men you work with, probably not. Still, it is best I don't stay here too long.' He said, “Perhaps. Well anyway, I don't want to keep Chang waiting.”

Kaylee said, “It would be unwise to keep him waiting. Anyway, nice to meet you.”

Lee replied, “Same here.”

Annie turned to Arcee, as she said, “I will see you later, Arcee.”

Arcee looked over and down, at Annie, as she commented, “I look forward to it.”

Lee turned to Arcee, as he said, “It was nice to meet you are Arcee.”

Arcee turned to Lee, as she replied, “Same here, Lee.”

Annie looked over at Lee, as she stated, “This way, Lee.”

Lee then followed Annie deeper into the hotel, and to a nearby door, to one of the back hotel hallways.

As soon as Annie and Lee were out of earshot, Kaylee turned to Arcee, as she commented, “Given how backwater this planet is, Lee sure is handling meeting a large talking robot, such as yourself, very well.”

Arcee turned to look at Kaylee. She thought, 'It might be best not to tell her. Still, I have to give her some excuse... Ah, that will work.' She said, “From what I have been informed, he has been living around Revy and the others for months, at the other hotel, on the north end this island. At this point, I doubt anything surprises him anymore.”

Kaylee giggled for a few seconds. She then responded, “Yea. Being around those lunatics for an extended among of time, would harden just about anyone to surprises. That is probably only of the reasons he was able to beat River.”

Arcee honestly asked, “I guess so. Did you lose any money on that game?”

Kaylee answered, “A little. But, just a little. You?”

Arcee stated, “Actually, I made a little money. I bet on Lee.”

Kaylee inquired, “Not complaining. But, why did you bet on Lee?”

Arcee smirked, “Because, by nature, I am a risk taker. And I figured that River was such a sure bet, that I would take a risk and bet on Lee. And I am glad I did... He has definitely been very rewarding to me.” She mentally added, 'In ways I cannot tell your right now, without giving away Lee's identity.'

Kaylee laughed for several seconds. She then stated, “Only you, Arcee. Only you.”

In response, Arcee smiled towards Kaylee.

The two friends then continued their conversation, for a little while. Before they went back to their duties.

(_)

Meanwhile, Annie silently escorted Lee to the back elevator bay.

They walked side by side. With Annie to Lee's left side.

As they passed by the enclosure, Lee saw the tiger inside, playing with a large ball.

While they walked, Lee asked, “So, how is the tiger?”

Annie answered, “She is doing fine. Why do you ask?”

Lee coyly said, “Just wondering.”

Annie stated, “Well, I did hear a rumor that the tiger to loose, and mauled some poor guy.”

Lee shrugged, as he responded, “Actually, the tiger didn't maul me. She even let me pet her. And I was able to get her into the enclosure before one of us was hurt.”

Annie turned to Lee, as she inquired, with a bit of surprise in her tone of voice, “That was you?”

Lee answered, “Yes.”

Annie asked, “How did you keep that tiger calm?”

Lee answered, “Most animals, such as cats and dogs, even large cats and dogs, can sense a person's inner emotions. I just kept calm, and I used my experience with pet cats to help keep the tiger from harming me, and convincing her to walk into the enclosure.”

Annie complimented, “Nice work.”

Lee mentioned, “Well, that, and the fact that I am so use to having to deal with Revy and her group, on a daily basis, that a tiger is tame in comparison.”

Annie laughed, for a few seconds. She then said, “No arguments there.”

They then reached the back elevator bay, and turned enter inside.

Several seconds later, Annie used a key that she had, on the panel back, by the doors to the express elevator. She then called down the express elevator, and put away her key.

A few seconds later, the doors to the elevator opened, and they both road up to the elevator to the penthouse floor.

(_)

Two minutes later, Annie and Lee mean it to the penthouse floor, and the exit the elevator. With the elevator doors closing behind them.

Annie then lead Lee down the hallways, to Chang's office.

When they reached the door to Chang's office, Annie came to a stop, with Lee standing beside her.

While the door was closed, and Annie just opened the door, without announcing herself.

As she did so, Lee saw Chang was male, and that he sitting in his chair, behind his desk. He had on his black suit, black long, and sunglasses.

Annie stated, “I have brought Lee here, unharmed.”

Chang looked up at the two of them. He said, in english, “Thank you, Annie. I can take it from here.”

Annie turned Lee, as she said, “Good luck.”

Lee looked over at Annie, as he sincerely replied, “Thank you.”

Annie then turned, and walked away from Lee, and down the hallway.

Lee turned back to Chang, to see the man looking back at him.

Chang said, “Please, come in. And close the door behind you.”

Lee thought, 'It might be best to keep the door open. But, he clearly does not want that.'

Lee then walked into the office, while leaving gently closed the door behind him.

As Lee came with ten feet of Chang's desk, he saw Chang get up from his seat, and walked around his desk, to standing right in front of his desk, between the two chairs in front of his desk.

Lee immediately came to a stop. Though, he took no other actions, as he did his best to remain calm, and maintain his poker face.

Both men were standing about set feet front each other.

Chang commented, “I see you made a good impression with, Annie.”

Lee honestly replied, “Yes. I feel that it is always best to be polite.”

Chang thought, 'You really are a gentleman, Lee.' He said, “I do not disagree.”

Lee calmly inquired, “So, what do you want to talk about?” He thought, 'Depending on his this goes. I might be able to walk out of here, within ten minutes, without giving away too many more of my secrets to him. Especially, the secret that I am the, writer, whom every seems to be looking for.'

'Still, with that attempt kidnapping. It might be wise to see what Chang has to say. I might be able to get something out of him, with little risk to myself.'

Chang said, “Well, it is not often that someone can fool me. But, you are a rare exception.”

Lee thought about his options, 'Okay. This is not good. He knows I have lied to him. The question is which lie is he referring to? I might be able to salvage this situation.'

Lee admitted, “In order to survive, I have told many lies. As paradoxical as it is, in all honesty, I don't know which lie you are referring to.”

Chang smirked, as he coyly said, “Paradoxical... Not many people use that word, while talking to other people. It is kind of rare word to use in a conversation. Those that do so have a better command of the english language than most people. Such as poets, singers, and writers.”

Lee did not show outward reaction to Chang's comment, as he mentally screamed, 'He knows!'

Chang continued grinning, as he complimented, “You have developed one hell of a poker face not to show any outward sign that I have figured out that you are the writer, that so many people are looking for.”

Lee looked away from Chang, way showing a scowl on his face. He thought, 'It seems this poker face is starting to backfire on me, more often. That is not good. But, that is a concern for another time... If there is another time.'

Lee then dropped his scowl, as he let out a deep breath. He turned to look at Chang's face, as he continued his thoughts, 'Well, there nothing I can presently do about that. Right now, I should focus on damage control.'

Lee continued to look at Chang's face, as he conceded, “Alright. Did River tell you?”

Chang stated, “No.”

Lee asked, “So, what gave me away?”

Chang held up his right hand, with four right fingers being pointed upward, and away from each other, while his right thumb was tucked into his palm, as it faced Lee.

Chang answered, “Four things.” He then dropped his right hand back to his side.

Chang continued, “Revy said you do not know anything about anime. Yet, right after the casino game, you verbally recognized the music song, Velveteen, from the Ghost in the Shell anime. Next, is that quote you made from the movie, Hot Fuzz. A favorite of mine, as well. That movie is practically soft core porn for the genre savvy. Then, there was that little tiger incident a few days ago. You are hiding your badass traits very well.”

Lee thought, 'I am glad you think that, Chang.'

Chang continued, “Also, I realized who you were hiding these traits from. Rock and Revy. You revealed that, when you whispered to me that Pedro was your friend. You are clearly playing a con on someone. That I had guessed after doing research on you and Sam.”

At the mention of Sam's name, Lee remained calm on the outside, as he thought, with concern, 'It is best I don't mention Sam's name. His thoughts and comments might gloss over Sam. And thus, he will think about something else. Which will help to protect Sam. While if I mention Sam's name, that will cause Chang to be more focused on Sam, and put Sam's life in danger.'

Chang went onto say, “And given you did not want Rock and Revy to know, they, and their friends, are the ones you are playing your con against. Given how open that group of women is with being violent, only the writer of those stories would risk trying to con anything out of them.”

Lee thought, 'You are right about that. And I am just desperate enough to commit to such a con.'

Chang stated, “From there it was a simple matter of backtracking your actions, while being in this town. And my, you have had quite the secret adventure.”

Lee raised an eyebrow, as he responded, “You don't know the half of it. Still, it is always the little details. Isn't it? So, what now?”

Chang explained, “Now, we talk. Then, I decide what to do with you. Maybe I will let you go. Maybe I will turn you over to Revy and the others. Be happy, that I have no intentions of turning you over to the Lovelace maids.”

Lee poker mask shattered, as he slightly paled, at the mention of the Lovelace maid. Lee quickly stated, “Thank you. Thank you, very much.”

Chang chuckled, as he thought, 'So, you can keep cool in front of Revy, River, or me. But, you crack at the mere possibility of facing the Lovelace maids. At least you understand how dangerous Roberta and Fabiola are.'

As Chang slowly stopped chuckling, he replied, “You're welcome.”

By then, Lee was able to emotionally collect himself. He asked, “Well... So, how do you want to have this conversation? This is the first time I have actually talked to someone, of whom I wrote about, in an open and honest way. This is kind of a strange situation for me.”

Chang let out a small laugh. He then said, “I guess it would be for you. Well, you can relax. As long as you keep me happy, and humored, you will be fine.”

Lee said, “Humor is one of my more enjoyable talents.”

Chang replied, “Oh yes. I still haven't forgotten that joke during the beginning of your poker game with River?”

Lee mentally lamented, 'Ah yes. He must be referring to the, hung like and elephant joke.' He verbally defended, “Think of it as a compliment. And there was no other way I could think of to distract River, in a manner that would keep her happy.”

Chang admitted, “You accomplished that quite well. She has even shown concern for you.”

Lee responded, “That is nice to know. Now, while I am sure that Rock was willing to let go of the, office girl, joke. How upset was Revy with the, Daisy Dukes, joke?”

Chang asked, “She was very upset. But, we were able to get her to calm down. So, where did you learn Chinese, and the other languages from. You speak the same dialect as Shenhua?”

Lee admitted, “I was afraid someone was going to notice that. It figures that it would be you. Well, right before you showed up, on November Second, the Day of the Dead, everyone on this planet got caught up in a time loop.”

Chang responded, with interest in his tone of voice, “Really? And let me guess. You are the only one that remembers?”

Lee answered, “Yes. It was a time loop that only I remember.”

Lee thought, 'Except Harvey, in Violin's mind. But, I am not going to mention that to you.'

Lee went onto say, “It was like a groundhog's day time loop rules. Only, if I didn't die, nor try to leave this reality, everything reset at midnight, to five in the morning.”

Chang said, “That must have been an interesting experience.”

Lee smiled, as he stated, “It was. And after I worked some pranks out of my system, I used my time wisely. I learned a lot. Including several languages. How I learned chinese was I conned Shenhua into teaching me.”

Chang requested, with eagerness evident in his tone of voice, “Please, tell me more.”

Lee thought, 'Well, I think I will leave out a lot of the more interesting talents I learned. And some of the more personal things I have done, including that story I typed. Along with some embarrassing personal details I learned about others. Also, I will not mention who is behind the time loop. Still, there is still plenty of things I can tell Chang, to humor him with.'

Lee smirked, as he began, “With pleasure...”

(_)

Over the next, ten minutes, Lee gave an abbreviated version of his time in the time loop. From some of the pranks he pulled. To some of the music, artistic, and language talents he learned. And how he had a fun time enjoying the time loop.

There was a lot of laughter from both of men.

Lee concluded his story, “I eventually reached the point where I was the life of the party, every night. Where I dressed in a black dress shoes, a pink tuxedo, with a pink top hat, pink sunglasses, and a feather boa.”

Chang snickered, as he happily admitted, “I am having trouble imagining you wearing that. That is really flamboyant. I am talking rock star flamboyant.”

Lee smirked, as he stated, “I know. But, remember the, no consequences, part of the time loop. I never abused it. But, I did use it. I did am amazingly embarrassing things. But, considering I was the only one that would remember my actions, it got to the point where doing such things didn't bother me that much.”

Chang replied, “I see your point.”

Lee went onto say, “Anyway, after playing one hell of a set on stage. And sometimes the dance floor. I started meeting the two hot, hispanic, identical, twin babes, every night. And we had sex until midnight. And I got to do it all over again.”

Chang was unable to remove the grin from his face, as he thought, 'Now, this guy had truly lived in that time loop. And I got a feeling some fun stuff happened, then. That he has not mentioned.'

'I think I will table to cancer discussion with him, for later. Perhaps for another day. Mentioned that would ruin the mood, and likely cause him to stop answering my questions.'

'Now, about the time loop. I wonder...'

Chang complimented, “Now, that is smooth, like glass. So, how did you get out of the time loop?”

Lee flatly stated, “I am not allowed to tell you. And please do not ask me that question, again. There are those I fear upsetting more than you.”

Chang thought, 'Someone was behind the time loops. Someone intentionally created the time loops. Lee knows who, but he knows better to say who it is. And I have no interest in upsetting someone that can bend reality. So, I will let the matter drop.'

Chang inquired, “Okay. Let's get back to these pranks. So, you made fun of female Rock taking it up the ass by a male Revy, and you got away with it?” Chang could not help but start laughing some more, as he thought about that prank which Lee pulled.

Lee also chuckled, as he replied, “Yep.”

A few seconds later, both men calmed down.

Chang wiped a laughter induced tear from his eye, under his shades, as he commented, “I got the feeling you did that more than once.”

Lee smiled wickedly. He casually said, “I did it seven times.” He shrugged, as he continued, “But, whose counting?”

Chang could not help himself, as he laughed some more.

As Chang laughed, Lee thought, 'Good. I got him happy. Real happy. Now, to add to his mirth.'

Lee mentioned, “Now, not all my pranks were intentional. Some, were accidental. Such as what happened with Shenhua, that indirectly involved a cherry bomb.”

By then, Chang had been able to make himself calm down. Chang then accused, “You didn't.”

Lee responded, “I did. I flushed a lit cherry bomb down a toilet, in the men's restroom, in the Devil's Hotel lobby. How was I suppose to know that the plumbing was directly linked to the women's restroom on the other side of the wall? And that Shenhua was sitting on the toilet at the time, in the women's restroom, next door?”

Chang started laughing again, to the point he had to place a hand on his desk, to steady himself, and prevent himself from falling on the floor laughing.

As Chang laughed, he thought, 'Lee really would do good as a stand up comedian.'

After Chang calmed down a little, just enough to speak, he stated, “Shenhua killed you for doing that? Didn't she?”

Lee said, “Yes. I don't blame her for doing so. And she was so quick that I was back in my bed, in the next reset before I knew what had happened.” Lee smiled, as he continued, “But, it was still worth it.”

Chang asked, “So, how did you con the girls into teaching you these lessons? I take it that Shenhua taught you to throw knives? And that is where you learned to throw playing cards?”

Lee answered, “Yes. Shenhua was the one to teach me that skill. And conning them to teach me lessons for free was real easy. I just appealed to their greed. I offered them two grand a day, for two hour daily lessons. Hit reset, and repeat. And they never actually got to keep the money.”

Chang thought, with amusement, 'This is beyond having a death wish. This is flat out insanity. And he actually pulled it off.' Chang commented, “Now, that is mean. And you better pray that those women never remember what you have done to them, during these time loops. I know they already have some painful plans for you. But, if they did ever remember what you did to them, what they will do to you will make hell itself recoil in horror.”

Lee calmly agreed, with a straight face, with no sign of fear of the consequences of his actions, “You are probably right.”

Chang inquired, “Besides the time loop, any other interesting things happen to you?”

Lee thought, 'I might as well partly tell him.' He stated, “Well, after the time loop ended, I met some amazons, from the future, that tried to come after me, for being the writer.”

Chang guessed, “Well, if this reality works on the rules you in the stories. Chances are that you finally found a way to escape this reality.”

Lee agreed, “That is what I am thinking.”

Chang casually asked, “So, what type of amazons were they? Space amazons? Chinese amazons? Greek amazons? Which amazons?”

Lee realized the oxymoron of the situation, of both the absurdity and seriousness of Chang's questions. Lee slowly said, “We have definitely lead interesting lives.”

Chang smirked, as he stated, “You got that right.”

Lee commented, “To answer your question. Chinese amazons. And I know better than to try to fight them.”

Chang agreed, “Given their dating and killing rules. Fighting those girls is a catch twenty-two.”

Lee replied, “Exactly.”

Chang inquired, “So, what happened?”

Lee coyly responded, “Once they realized that taking me with them, would cause a reality breaking paradox. Including the sky technicolor. They left me alone, and left this reality.”

Chang commented, “Good. Still, given the way you act, I don't think you have a clue of whom you are dealing with?”

Lee inquired, “Are you referring to the girls? Or, yourself.”

Chang answered, “Both.”

Lee stated, “I must know a few things, considering I am still breathing.”

Chang conceded, “True. I will give you that one.”

Lee said, “Let us take you for example. You are more loyal to others, than you let on.”

Chang thought, 'Lee, I would like to see where you go with this.' Chang stated, “You seem to think that I am some one that is loyal to others.”

Lee responded, “Yes. And I do know of the story that your subordinates, in the triad, were told, of how you joined their ranks.”

Chang smirked, as he requested, “Refresh my memory.”

Lee stated, “They were told that you killed your Hong Kong Police partners for the Dia Lo of the Triad, for money, and likely a position within the Triad.”

Chang sarcastically interrupted, “And you think I did it for my dear old mother?”

Lee flatly replied, “No.”

Lee's simple reply, which was the opposite to what Chang was expecting, caught Chang off guard.

Lee explained, in a calm tone of voice, “You are a very complex person, Chang. Anyone who took the time to study you would realize that. You do not do things for simple reasons. You think of life as a game. And you are correct. Life is a game. And everyone is a chess piece. There are only three other people I can think of that came play this game, at your level. Scorpius, David Xanatos, and Fox Xanatos.”

Chang thought, 'Now, that is a high compliment.' He said, “Thank you.”

Lee went onto say, “You're welcome. That being said. I honestly don't think you would kill a bunch of people that you worked with, just for money, and an entry level position, as a crook for the mafia. Even a low level cop would have more power than that position. If that cop played their situation well enough. Even from a corrupt standpoint.”

Chang mentally reflected, 'He is correct about that.'

Lee stated, “No. It had to be something else. Maybe they did something you disagreed with. Maybe you found out one of them had committed a horrible crime, under the guise of their authority, as a cop, with the rest of the police force covering up the crime. Such as one of the cops you knew may have falsely arrested a teenage girl, and then later raped her in a jail cell. It was not be the first time that has happened.”

Chang grimly thought, 'Like what happened to Revy.'

Lee said, “Learning such a crime, and cover up... From those you previously trusted... That would make a person become disgusted with the authority of the law. And make him start to feel like he is wading through a giant sea of shit.”

Chang sadly thought, 'My own words come back to haunt me.'

Lee stated, “Yet. It might have been something more simple. Maybe they pissed on your shoes one too many times. Maybe they did not respect you at all, and treated you like shit. And all the Triad did was make you a better offer. Or, maybe you have been a long term spy for the Hong Kong police, and you eventually realized you had a better deal where you were at, in the mafia. Or, your superiors cut you loose, leaving you in a situation that you could not get out of. So, you made the best of your situation.”

“I don't know... But, I do know this, you are a far more a loyal person than you give yourself credit for. For example, so far, I have never seen you waste resources. You don't waste lives. You don't torture, or kill, without reason. Take for example when those muslim terrorists, whom attacked Lagoon Company's apartment, with the RPG attack. Then, trying to storm the apartment complex, with armed personnel. At the beginnings of that Basilan island incident.”

Chang thought, 'I remember that first hand. Along with watching it from the point of view of both the anime, and reading the manga version.'

Lee said, “You knew how dangerous the situation was. But, instead of sending your men out, into the hallway, first, to deal with the situation. You, and Revy, went out first. If you were not a loyal person, you would have sent your subordinates out first, and likely to their deaths.”

“I think when it is all said and done. You are just a man whom thinks he lived in a fucked up world, and you are just trying to make the best of your situation. I can honestly sympathize with you.”

Lee saw that Chang's face was unreadable.

Chang sternly thought, 'While he is polite. He is also arrogant. I need to bring him down a notch.'

Chang then used his right hand to reach in his coat, behind his lower back, to pulled out one of his semi-automatic pistols. As soon as he pistol was out in the open, he used his left hand to pull back the slide, sending a round into the chamber, and cocking the hammer. He then pointed the end of gun barrel at Lee's head. Right between Lee's eyes.

Chang noticed that Lee did not reaction to the threat, and instead just continued looking at him, towards his sunglasses.

Chang thought, 'I should not be surprised. He has been living around Revy, Shenhua, and the others for a long time. Having a gun pointed to his head is likely one of the least threatening things he has had happen to him, while on this island. I am going to have to back up my action, with words.'

Chang coldly stated, “You think you know me. You think you can get inside my head. You think this world can handle badasses like me, and my associates.”

A few seconds later, Lee began to genuinely laugh at Chang, as Chang continued to point his gun at Lee's head.

Chang thought, with concern, 'You really are crazy.'

Lee smirked, as he said, “You think you can mind screw with me, by simply pointing a gun to my head. Counting the time loop, I have been constantly dealing with Revy and her lunatic fringe for way longer than you have. And I have been doing it up close and personal. While, you always, wisely kept your distance. You see, I am not the one getting their minds screwed with. When someone is getting their mind screwed, I am the one holding the screwdriver!”

While Lee's smile did not disappear, Chang saw that Lee's eyes hardened. Lee stated, “We both know, that until you get your answers from me. Which I am more than happy to freely give. You are not going to kill me. If you do kill me, we both know that word will get back to the girls, likely along with the fact that I am the writer. And neither of us want to risk the wrath of Revy, and her friends. That is why I am in hiding, and you basically set up shop on the other side of this island, from where they are staying.”

“And if you just try to hurt me, I will show you what I really can do. And while you will likely taken me down, eventually, I promise you are going to feel what I do to you, tomorrow morning. And it will not be a pleasant experience.”

Lee continued, in a direct, dangerous tone of voice, “Now, put away away your gun, and act like the magnificent bastard, we both know you are, and whom I have come to admire and respects.”

Lee could see from the look in Chang's eyes that was thinking about what he had said.

Chang mentally grumbled, 'At least he admires and respects me. And he does have a point. I guess this attempt to bring him down a notch, backfired. And he called my bluff. Which for a poker player of his skill, is par for course.'

Chang set the safety to his weapon. Next, he reached underneath his coat, and behind his lower back to holster his weapon, by his other semi-automatic.

Chang then let both his hands drop to his side, as he said, “Alright. You called my bluff. And I do have questions for you. And since you are willing to answer my questions. I will not threaten you any more. Now, my first question is why do you think this world can handle badasses like me, and my friends?”

Lee continued grinning. He was still slightly laughing, as he answered, “Simple. You actually think you know this world. You think this world is less badass than the home realities of your and your friends. It isn't. It is even more badass than you home realities. Where do you think our inspiration came from? And this world is far more messed up than yours ever could be. And a hell of a lot more dangerous.”

“Let us start with a straight out, badass example. Audie Murphy, the most decorated U.S. soldier in World War II. There was nothing really special about Audie background before the war. He was from Texas. And yes. We of the South breed badasses. He even had the usual screwed up childhood that he was able to get over. Unlike others, such as Revy.”

“Audie was just an average guy showing how badass awesome an average guy could be. Audie was so average was the first time he tried to join the U.S. military, all four branches. Army, Airforce, Marines, and the Navy. All four rejected him for being too average. Finally, the military accepted Audie, and Audie proved himself so badass that God had to give him malaria for the duration of the war, so he won't win the war all by himself.”

“For lack of a better term. When is comes to average people you know. The closest person you personally know, that could be compared to Audie, in your reality is, Benny. Not Rock. Benny. I have no doubt in my mind that Audie, in his prime, could have taken down, Roberta. Yes, even with Roberta's badassness, super-soldier serum, and cybernetics, Audie was so badass in his prime that he could have taken her down. Maybe the Audie of your world was reincarnated as Roberta. It would explain why she is such a badass.”

“Trust me. DNA and training can only go so far. The rest is just pure, raw human spirit.”

“Sometimes, I wonder if Balalaika is a reincarnation of Patton. It would make so much sense. Both were badass leaders that lead from the front. The comparisons even go right down to both of them being screwed over by their superiors over a single event. With a single incident severely injuring them.”

“Only, Patton died of his injures. While Balalaika survived her injures, with her baring the scars of what happened to her.”

“That is just a few examples. Let us look at the past of this world. Humanity of this reality have been badass for a very long time. Most of us just don't realize it. I am sure you have seen the movie, Three Hundred. Or, read the comic. Well, the Battle of Thermopylae happened here, in this reality. And though it was a very long time ago, we still remember it. It was that awesome, and legendary.”

“Hell, the badass undercurrent of the whole of Western Civilization. Of being willing to fight against insane odds. Can be traced back to that Battle of Thermopylae. King Leonidas put it best into two words. 'Molon labe'. Which translates to, come and take.”

“And people rarely talk about the following battle that happen several months later, after Thermopylae. The Battle of Plataea. The one where the Greek Alliance faced off against the Persian army. That battle was just too unbelievable, and badass, to be believed. This time there were no tricks. No choke points. It was the Greek Alliance versus the full might of the Persian army. Still, the Greek Alliance was only outnumber a paltry three to one. And the Greek Alliance kicked ass and won.”

“Also, don't even think that trying to make examples of those we care about will make us cower before you. For example, a long time ago, there was this man of peace from Bethlehem that was crucified, along with a number of his followers, later on. That did not make my people cower before our enemies. It just inspire us to be more badass. Even in mostly peaceful ways.”

Lee laughter than turned outright maniacal, which caused a shiver to run down Chang spine.

Chang thought, with slight worry, 'Only the crazy ones laugh like that.'

Lee slowly stopped laughing, while his smile turned feral, and his eyes became dangerous, as he continued, “And that is not all. The environmental, and political, dangers of this planet have been dialed to eleven, when compared to the home realities and you and your friends.”

Lee reached out, to his sides, with both his arms, as he stated, with crazed excitement in his tone of voice, “Welcome to the reality known as Death World Earth. The D.W.E. Reality.”

Lee then dropped his hands back to his sides, as he continued, “And that is not even counting the usual wildlife, plants, and diseases that can kill us, sometimes very painfully and slow. The general rule is the cuter something is the more dangerous that thing is.”

“That is likely where to the rule of how the hotter a babe is in Roanapur is, the more dangerous that babe is, originated.”

“And since we live with these dangers all the time, we hardly bat an eye to them. Though, we are aware of them, and avoid them when we can. We are desensitized badasses, not stupid badasses.”

“Every corner of this world is standing on the edge of oblivion. We have a super-rich class hell bent on driving the sum total of human civilization into the dark ages.”

“At the same time, corrupt governments of the western nations, from America, Australia, to Europe, have leveraged so much debt that collapse of those nation's currencies and economies are imminent, while at the same time those governments are turning into police states. Along with this, we Americans had a major oil spill back in April twenty, two thousand ten, in the Gulf of Mexico, around the coastal areas of the southern U.S. states there. On top of that, those in D.C. dragged their feet on sealing the broken oil pipe. While, in the name of stopping the oil spill, they poisoned the gulf, with other chemicals, contaminating the fish, beaches, and water, in, and around, the coastline on of the Gulf, in the U.S.”

“And to add to the fact that misery loves company, China and India are polluting themselves into an early grave. That is a third of the human species right there on this planet. Mexico and other latin america nations are dealing with narco-based civil wars, and other problems. Africa and the middle east have always basket cases, with the rest of the world going to war over them. Russia is slowing sliding back into a quasi-soviet dictatorship.”

“The islands of the Indian Ocean are still picking up the pieces of the two thousand four Boxing Day Earthquake, and resulting tsunami, that killed at least two hundred and fifty thousand people still missing. Countless dead. The quake leveled and flooded parts of northern Sumatra, Indonesia. And most of whose killed were just laying on the beach, when the water suddenly came in and pulled them back into the sea. Now, that is the stuff of nightmares.”

“And that is not even counting mother nature’s ticking time bombs. Such as the Yellowstone Caldera that is sixty thousand years overdue for a major, global nuclear winter creating, eruption.”

“And Japan... Sweet Jesus, Japan... What is happening there just breaks my heart to watch. On march March eleventh two thousand eleven there was the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami. It caused around sixteen thousand deaths, caused a the four reactors in a nuclear plant on the coast to go into meltdown. Now, the politicians say that every thing is fine. But, anyone with a brain can see Japan, as a whole, is slowly turning into a deadly radiation zone. With the politicians and companies assigned to the clean up of those reactors still arguing about what to do. If we, and I mean we as the human species on this Earth, are lucky, those reactors will only contaminate Japan, and the northern half of the pacific ocean. Which will poison a good chuck of the food supply we all get from the ocean.”

“That is, if we are lucky. And my life experiences have taught me, that we are probably not that lucky.”

“One of the reasons I want to jump realities is because this world will likely soon, finally destroys itself. I can feel it coming. And I am not just talking about my precognitive abilities.”

“And still, I think about the more personal levels. Governments and corporations have so brainwashed and corrupted the minds of most of the younger generations that our coping and relationship skills are nonexistent. These are governments that promote sadism being taught in public schools. There is virtually no one that I know of, that is my age, or younger, that is in a steady, healthy loving relationship.”

“The best relationships I have seen between two young adults have been closer to the relationship between Rock and Revy, before I got my hands on them. That is how intentionally screwed up my generation and the younger generations have been made.”

Lee suddenly dropped his smile. He face turned grim, as he spoke in a calm, deadly tone of voice, “But, that doesn't mean we don't know how to fight, and be badasses. That does not mean we do not know how to kill.”

“Still, being a badass will get you nothing in this world. Because we are all just so badass without realizing it. Actually, openly being a badass will usually get you disrespect, because people will rightly think the badass is being reckless, and dangerous.”

“Badasses are even disrespected by those in power in America. Even to this day, I wonder if any bloodhounds have been created from within the U.S. military personnel, as their jobs are relegated from protecting Uncle Sam, and apple pie, to guarding flowers in Afghanistan.”

Lee then caught the sight of what he wanted from Chang. For a very brief moment, he saw fear flicker in Chang's eyes.

Lee face relaxed, while he voice returned to normal, as he finished, “As I continue my own agenda, it is not just that I have been trying to keep the people here from being killed by Revy and her crew, but to keep Revy and her crew from being killed by some of the more dangerous people here.”

“Good look up information on the Zetas, sometime. They are as dangerous as Hotel Moscow can be. FARC here is far more dangerous in this world than the FARC in your reality. And none of you seem to realize any of this.”

“And while the mafia are scary in this world, the street level gangs are even worse. There are gangs in this very country, that kidnap kids and turn them into child assassins, like Hansel and Gretel, before they were killed.”

“What these gangs do is they kidnap these kids, they torture them for a little while. Break them down some, mentally and physically. Then, the gang in question tells the kidnapped child that if the child doesn't murder for the gang, the gang will murder the child's family. This is not a bluff. Next, the gang gives the child a gun, and tell the child who murder.”

“Sometimes the children can be twelve, ten, and even as young as eight years old, when they are kidnapped and forced to become hitmen. We know this for a fact because some of the child hitmen have crossed the border into the U.S. and turned themselves over to the U.S. border patrol, as a way to seek asylum from those that made them murderers before their voices even cracked.”

“So, while in your reality, the vampire twins were a fluke. In this reality, there are entire industries dedicated to turning children into cold blooded killers.”

Lee watched Chang swallow hard at what he had just said to him.

Lee calmly continued, “The dangers even extend from governments as well, in ways you don't realize. The U.S. government here, in this reality, conducts, on a regular basis, spying and assassinations by remote flying drones the size of model airplanes. These drones have missiles and guns. And this drones are deadly miles away from their target.”

“You will not see them coming. Which is one of the reasons I am living off the grid. It is a fact that they monitor almost all internet and financial transactions. I took a real roll of the dice with my bait to lure Revy, and the others, here. Them just coming in as group was one of the better possibles. There was a real chance that my homeland's government would invaded this island, on the pretenses of stopping drug traffic, to look for me, over the bait I left on the internet.”

“Still, it looks like they found me. Given that they just tried to kidnap me, with Annie and Arcee rescuing me. I am going to have to start making some sort of plans to leave town. That is, if you decide to let me leave this building alive.”

Chang thought, 'I need some time to think on these matters. But, if it comes down to it. And those outside the island, try to take you again. I will have you rescued. I have the best trackers in existence. I can find you. And help you.'

'Then, I will have you taken to a secret location in the multiverse. Where you will stay, until I figure out how to save you from everyone after you. From Revy, to the cancer slowly eating you alive.'

'But, I am not going to tell you this, until I have a working plan ready for you.'

'Also, you have pointed out some dangers, that I did not fully appreciate.'

Lee commented, “It is clear the government of my nation wants me over this shit, because they know something is up. But, they clearly cannot figure what is going on. Consider yourselves lucky they have not pieced it all together. Nor, that we are not politically important enough to them, to warrant their attention. Or, they would have bombed Plata Podrido, by now.”

Chang thought, 'That is a very good point.'

Lee went onto say, “Now, as upset as Eda made you in the Blood Trail arc, with her threat. There is some very real truth in her warning. And the worst part is my homeland's government is nothing more than mercenaries for foreigners, whom are hidden in the shadows. Anyone who follows the money can see that.”

“So, to prevent this from going bad for everyone, all of us have to tread very lightly. And most of you don't know how to do that.”

Chang thought about what Lee had just said, for a few seconds. He then soberly responded, “I admit you have a point. Actually, you have made several points. I didn't realize how different your Earth was from mine.”

Lee said, in a calmer, more normal tone of voice, “Now, you know better.”

Chang commented, “There are other things I would like to know.”

Lee replied, “Go ahead. Ask away.”

Chang inquired, “About that alias you picked out for me. Daiyu. For my female alias. We both know that it means black jade, but why did you choose that name?”

Lee warmly smiled, as he answered, “I originally wanted to use the name, Jade. But, that has been done so much, that it is practically cliche. So, using Daiyu made sense. As in black jade. You not only have dark hair, but your personality is somewhat dark to black. And jade is a precious stone that is a symbol of leadership.”

Chang nodded, while he agreed, “I can go along with that.”

Lee complimented, “By the way, I like the name of this casino. Daiyu Palace Casino. It works for you. This place really is your palace.”

Chang commented, “Thanks. And it seems there is more to you, than meets the eye.”

Lee let out a chuckle.

Chang realized his comment, as he continued, “Yea. Transformers. And from what I have learned about you, you refuse to be violent, but at same time, you show no fear.”

Lee stated, “It is not hard to understand if you think about it. I found the flaw. The weakness you all have. Except for Rock. Rock got really good at exploiting this weakness.”

Chang thought, 'Now, this I want to hear.'

Lee continued, “You all make assumptions, and react to those assumptions without thinking. And when the person does do as you expect, you have no problems dealing with that person. Such as, if a person is violent, you just kill that person without a second thought. If a person shows cowardice, you kill that person without a second thought.”

“But, if a person does something you don't expect, such as not being violent, but showing no fear to you, it draws your interest enough not to immediately kill that person. By doing so, you have time to think, and you likely decide to let that person live. And that is what makes both Rock, and I, so dangerous. That is why none of you were able to fully deal with Rock. He, and now she, doesn't fit into any of the tiny little boxes you categorize people for. That is also why Rock is able to drive Revy crazy, without being killed by Revy.”

Chang thought, 'That makes so much sense that it is scary.'

Chang asked, “So, how did you figure that out?”

Lee casually answered, “I am a writer. Understanding plots, settings, character developments, and motivations, all come with the territory of writing. But, do not feel bad. It took me years to figure out this secret. And you were busy at the time. So, it is completely understandable that you would miss such details.”

Chang stated, “You are right. It is the little details. And you make it sound like you had to work at your creating your stories.”

Lee said, in a matter of fact tone of voice, “Of course, I did. Do you honestly think I just watched these series and then wrote my stories? Nope. I first had to do my homework. I had to rewatch several series, a number of times. Not single episodes. But, entire series, multiple times.”

“In cases where there were multiple formats for a series. Such as anime, manga, etc. I had to go back, and look at them all. I also checked out official character profiles. Source books. Internet fan theories. All of this was done in a successful attempt to gain subtle information on what made you all tick.”

“How each of you spoke? And what syntax each of you used? What style of comments you prefer to make, when you talk? What clothing you preferred to wear? What weapons do you like to use? What food you preferred to eat? What beliefs you had? What are your own likely tastes in fiction?”

“All of this was done to figure out how to put you into my story. Where all the pieces fit together, like a well run clock. Such as, who does what? Who believes what? And why?”

“I am sure that you understand that learning what motivates a person is the key to understanding that person. And that once you have that piece of knowledge, you can control someone without that person realizing it.”

“And that is not including supplement information and research subjects, on places, things, cultures, peoples, languages, weapons, etc... To make for a more structured and enjoyable story. People enjoy reading stories by writers that know what they are talking about.”

“I also did this to make sure to know how far to take a character, without going too far out of character for each individual. If original characters are needed, I made sure to include them, without them overshadowing the rest of the characters? And given the number of people I was dealing with, this was one hell of a juggling act.”

“To give you an idea of how much background work I did. On average, when I write a story, a third of all the work I do on that story is just notes, and outline material.”

“Taking all this into account, when writing, and doing research, one learns a lot about their subject material. No matter if that subject material is an object, or a person.”

Chang thought, with concern, 'This man is not to be underestimated. He is thorough. And he puts a lot of effort into his works and actions. And the way he thinks, if he wanted to, he could be very dangerous towards his enemies. No wonder River has an interest in him.'

'I am starting to wonder if River was not so much trying to protect Lee from me. But, protect myself, from Lee. Or, maybe she was trying to protect both Lee and myself, from each other.'

Lee continued, “And I know what your next question will be. How did it all start? I'll tell you. I originally wanted do a crossover with several gender bending characters, from several series. But, that original idea was difficult to do. All those characters were very different, with very different backgrounds.”

“It took me six months of just thinking how I was going to fit it together, without the plot collapsing in on itself. Then, I realized that only way it would work was to use Akira as the main character, from his, at the time, point of view. I even played him as a parody of an audience segregate.”

“And that story grew into what I finally wrote. Honestly, one of the most difficult parts was figuring out how to fit Futaba into the story. The ending to the Futaba series was so hamfisted in its delivery that I had to literally surgically cut it apart, taking what I needed to make my story work. While discarding the rest. Though, I hate ignoring series canon. What we fan call facts within a given series. But, some things had to be done to make the story work.”

Chang inquired, “Interesting. Also, I was wondering, why did you add Janet to the main Lagoon Company cast?”

Lee stated, “Unlike other fans, I admire Janet for her personality. She is a breath of fresh air. She brings a whole different angle to the character dynamics of Roanapur. She is intelligent, funny, skilled, has good personality, she is nice to look at, and most importantly, she is sane. Unlike the other women in your series, Janet showed a level of sanity, and down to earth quarks, that I could respect. It was a wonderful contrast to the personalities of the bad girls of Roanapur.”

Chang jumped in, “I can see where you are going. And I have to agree with your point of view.”

Lee chuckled a little. He then said, “I thought you would. Also, she and Benny already had a relationship, and given her skill set, this would have allowed her to join Lagoon Company to be completely workable. She is not just a pretty face. She can pull her own weight at her job.”

Chang said, “You are right about that.”

Lee commented, “I know. And if you are wondering, Janet's nymphomania, along with Revy's bi-sexuality, are series canon. They came from the Black Lagoon manga story arc after manga version of the Blood Trail, El Baile de la muerte. The title is Wired Red Wild Card. You can find an english translation online, in this reality. If you want to read it.”

Chang stated, “I plan to.” He thought, 'And you never mentioned that storyline in your stories. You held back this information. That is interesting.'

Lee responded, “Good. Now, among the reasons I did not use that story arc in my story was that it is unfinished. And the creator took so long on the storyline.”

“Having a three year break between chapters is a bit much. And from a plot standpoint, it is risky working with an incomplete story.”

“But, that story did give a lot of good character nuggets of information on some of the cast. Take Janet for example. Chang, I kid you not, Janet outright stated, in dialogue, to the Lagoon crew, that one was of her sexual fantasies is to be gang raped.”

Chang raised an eyebrow, as he commented, “Maybe she is not as sane as you think.”

Lee shrugged, as he stated, “I am willing to cut people slack on their sexual fantasies, and what they do in bed. I am not one to judge. What is important is what they do outside their bedrooms, in their day to day lives. And Janet has shown remarkable restraint, and sanity, in her day to day life. She also has shown to have the brains and skills that I respect.”

“Janet is devious. She will not resort to direct violence. She prefers to arrange for a person to be killed from a distance. In that storyline, she pulls off a brilliant gambit, in which she entraps, and arranges, a chinese spy, sent to learn about her, to be killed by the spy's own superiors. Now, that is brilliant.”

Chang agreed, with interest in his tone of voice, “That is brilliant.” He thought, 'I believe I may have underestimated Janet's abilities.'

Lee mentioned, in a cautioned tone of voice, “On the matter of Revy. In those same chapters, Revy's bi-sexuality is confirmed. She stated that during her time in prison, she had a number of sexual encounters with other women inmates. And it was she whom took the role of the man in those encounters. She even claimed that the women she was with could not satisfy themselves, alone, afterward.”

“To underscore the seriousness of what I am saying. This is the only time in either the anime, or the manga, of the Black Lagoon series, where Revy directly talks about her sexuality, and past sexual exploits.”

“And given the type of woman Revy is, I do not think that was a baseless boast. It should also be noted that in the same scene that revealed Janet's sexual kinks, Revy was revealed to be extremely possessive of Rock. Which further proves that Revy cares very deeply for Rock. To the point the loves Rock. But, be aware that I did not change that part of Revy's personality in my stories.”

“Also, in the storyline I am talking about, Janet made a pass on Rock, and Revy warned Janet that she would rape her if Janet went any further with Rock. I do not believe that Revy was bluffing. Fortunately, Janet backed off, and Revy let the matter drop.”

Chang sadly commented, “The abused can sometimes become the abusers.”

Lee agreed, “True. That is why I added in that scene between Revy and Rico in book two, where Revy mentions seeing her rape scene at the end of the last episode of the Blood Trail story arc, in the anime. And by her doing so, she was able to work the trauma out of her system and become more sane. By the way, I apologize for the forty-eight hour whitman fever freakout that I caused Revy to experience in your Tower.”

Lee mentally reflected, 'And a sign that Revy is about to go whitman fever is when she lets her hair down. So, I always paid attention if Revy had her hair in a ponytail, or not. Which she has kept the ponytail, so far, in public. Because, if she ever removes her small, red scrunchie, that she uses to tie her hair back, and she lets all her hair hang loose, it is time to run like hell away from her. Or, more aptly, it is time to get into one's car and get the hell out of town.'

Chang shrugged, as he said, “It is understandable. You had to figure some way, how to handle Revy learning that horrible event in her life, was in the series, and was public knowledge. And Revy became a lot more easier to deal without after that. Sanity does have its advantages.”

Lee replied, “Very true.” Lee's lips curled into a mischievous grin, as he inquired, “Also, I was wondering. Revy's back story with Rowan was never revealed. I figured, as her teacher, one of the major leaders of Roanapur, and someone Revy trusts, you would know that story.”

Chang snorted, as he replied, “Trust me. You don't want to know. It could give what you had Revy, Shenhua, and Sawyer, do to Akira, a run for its money.”

Lee commented, “I believe you. Though, I never actually wrote that scene. I wrote the lead in, and gave some details afterward. But, I never wrote the actual scene... Wait a minute, you sound like you saw that event. Have you have seen incident?”

Chang lips curled into a wicked smile.

Lee stated, in a surprised tone of voice, “Rowan filmed it?! I had Revy warn him not to. And I thought Rowan wasn't that crazy to do so.”

Chang responded, “Apparently, Rowan is that crazy. The video shows multiple angles at once, with good quality video pictures for each of those angles. Also, the audio of that event is decent. And as porn, it makes for some great viewing, for the first few hours. Then, it gets really strange.”

Lee asked, “Well, given those three's personalities, it must have made for interesting viewing. You wouldn't happen to have a copy of that on hand?”

Chang answered, “Yes. I do. Actually, I have multiple copies. Six full copies, and six copies that Balalaika edited herself, for her own personal use, that she gave me a copy of. That I made more copies of myself. And digital transfers allowed for quality to be maintained, from copy to copy.”

“Though, most of the copies are hidden, and protected, in various storage places, to make sure this one of a kind event is not lost to time. And I am sure Balalaika has done the same with multiple copies and the original, and the her edited version, of that night, in Jackpot.”

“By the way, Balalaika really is good at editing porn. Though, why did you make Balalaika into a lesbian?”

Lee said, “Pure logic. She spent years sharing a building with a literal army of badass, physically fit men, whom were completely devoted to her. But, her attitude clearly showed that she was not getting laid.”

Chang started laughing. Between laughs, Chang conceded, “Point taken. And what about turning Boris into a woman?”

Lee responded, “Boris was originally shown to be a petty boy in one of the omakes. And I think the Black Lagoon series creator slipped that joke into the Viva Youth omake, because he forgot to include Boris in the Boys and Girls omake.”

Chang laughed even harder.

A few seconds later, after Chang made himself calm down, he offered, “You can watch the copies I have of that the night at the Jackpot. You of all people have a right to look at them. But, given who is with you, in that hotel. If they learn I have a copy, and I told you, they will slit both our throats. If we are lucky.”

Lee agreed, “You got that right.”

Chang offered, “Well, come by sometime, and I will let you watch them. Though, these videos are very long.”

Lee replied, “I may take you up on your offer.”

Chang thought, 'Good. That is one enticement to get him to come back, later. When we will discuss his cancer and my offer. Once I figure out what that offer is going to me. And I will try to offer him other enticements, as well. To come back.'

Lee thought, 'Oh. He is baiting me. But, I cannot help but at least be polite about his offer. Besides, I do want to see those videos. Now, onto another matter. Pedro mentioned Rowan by name, when he called me a few days before my poker game with River. I wonder...'

Lee inquired, “By the way, whatever happened to Rowan?”

Chang stated, “Rowan was our first test subject with the gender bending process, and super-solider serum. And she was a complete success. We of the family heads figured it was fitting that Rowan would be the first to undergo the process. And if something happened to Rowan, it was no great loss. Anyway, Rowan ended up as a part of the janitorial staff at the tower. And last I heard, she was back to trying to get her old business started in another city.”

Chang mentally added, 'I just won't mention she is setting up shop, in is this city. And I am helping her.'

Lee responded, “Thanks for the information.” He thought, 'Chances are, given Pedro mentioned Rowan, and what you just said, Chang. Rowan is setting up shop in this town. And since you know that Rowan is setting up shop. It is likely you are helping her. Though, the only reason you would help Rowan is if you had a plan to make a whole lot of money. And the only way I can think to do that with a whorehouse, would be if you supplied Rowan with instant man, and instant woman, packages. Which would make sense. Though, I will not mention this to you, Chang.'

Chang commented, “You are welcome.”

Lee thought, 'Now, to ask about, Jet.' He asked, “By the way, why is Jet a woman? I would think Jet would have taken the same rejuvenation therapy, as Ed did. That is what I set the situation up for Jet to do.”

Chang explained, “Jet did have that rejuvenation therapy. Though, he had a bad reaction to the first formula in their therapy. We were informed this is not the first time something like that has happened. It was just a bad drug reaction. And it was not a quick reaction. Jet was given a few hours to decide on if he wanted the process, or not. He choose to do go through with it. So, we got him into a vat, and processed him into her, to save her life.”

Lee thought, with concern, 'That is sad to here.'

Chang went onto say, “We flushed the drugs from his system, then used the first gender changing, and regeneration formula. Next, the super-soldier serum, which restored her youth. On the bright side, she now has a human left arm again. Though, we had to pause the process, at different stages, to remove Jet's cybernetic implants. For the record, Jet... Well Jetta now, is not upset with you. She understands that you were not at fault. And things like this happen.”

Lee sadly responded, “That is unfortunately true. I guess one cannot foresee some outcomes. Even if that person is writing the story.”

Chang said, “That is correct. And speaking of characters. And being one. I find it discomforting that someone imagined my wants... My needs... My views... My very personality.”

Lee countered, “That is actually incorrect. As I wrote, I came to realize that writing about someone, is not the same as completely creating that person. Yes. Someone imagined you. But, they only imagined the basics. You filled in the rest. As a writer, I will tell you, there is a vast amount of events and life experiences of a character, which is not written about. And that I did not write as much about the pasts of the characters I worked on, as you would think. And I include you, among these characters.”

Chang thought, 'That is interesting.'

Lee continued, “Think of the stories as set points, from a to b. I wrote about a, and, b. But, how you traveled from a to b was your own doing. Your own choices. Your own life experiences.”

Chang thought, 'Now, that is deep.'

Lee commented, “I long since realized that writing is like in the Matrix movie trilogy. While your creator may have created you, the creator could not define you as a person. Writing is partly an instinctual talent, from the imagination. We writers are not fully in control of what we write. Through our imaginations, we are pulling the information, and forming that information from someone else. And not just the inspirations in our lives.”

“There is another component there. A very important, and influential component, that is not in our control.”

“And I am not talking about the sex scenes. I am talking about the character development scenes, and plot.”

“Some of the stuff I wrote, I wrote because it felt right. Though, I can sometimes consciously tell when doing so feels right. It is like my precognition. It just feels right at that deep, mysterious level.”

“And the realization that I was not even close to fully in control of the content I wrote scares the hell out of me.”

Chang mentally reflected, 'And here I thought that he already deep before. This man is like sinking into an abyss... I must heed the warning not to let such an abyss stare back at me.'

Lee went onto say, “Though, I guess in Matrix terms. I would be like Agent Smith, after he went rogue. While you would be, Morpheus.”

Chang joked, “Morpheus? Wouldn't I want to be Neo?”

Lee deadpanned, “Would you rather be the cool, badass leader? Or, the guy that got superpowers, but he could never get his shit together?”

Chang grinned, as he replied, “Point taken.” He mentally added, 'Lee is clearly thinking at a deeper level than I expected. I need to get further into his head. And I know just the question to ask, to start digging deep into his mind.'

Chang asked, “Now, why did you take up the gambler persona?”

Lee smirked, as he stated, “I know what you are are thinking. You are asking a seemingly simple question to get inside my head.”

Chang thought, 'He is good. Though...' He pointed out, “You did say you would answer my questions.”

Lee responded, “Yes. I did. And I will. But, just to let you know, counting the time loops, I have been using that trick, countless times, on countless people, for several years.”

Chang replied, “I am sure you have.”

Lee said, “Now, to answer your question. The reason I used that persona is because none of you have dealt with a true gambler archetype before. Such as a Hawkes, or Maverick. Sure, you have dealt with the desperate, and the greedy, that love gambling. But, not one of you has experience with a true gambler. The type of person that does not gamble out of greed, nor desperation. They gamble because they love how the dice tumbles, as it rolls. No matter the outcome. They love the bluffs and calls of the card games more than actually winning.”

“The true gamblers are the ones that play the long hand of cards. Yet, they are the ones that occasionally take the insane risk, with the huge payoffs. And they do not take those large bets because they expect to win. No. They do so because they love the game.”

“And this entire setup by me is just one long hand of cards. And I have played it well. Except for River, whom is a telepath. Along with, Annie, and Arcee. Yes. They figured out who I was. And they agreed to keep quiet. for now.”

Lee thought, 'I will leave out that Scorpius and Harvey also know. Because that is none of your concern, Chang.'

Chang thought, 'It is obvious that River already knew. And I am not surprised those two figured it out. And I am glad they decided to keep quiet. Though, I will talk to them, later, about you, Lee. To see if they have any input they would like to add, concerning you.'

Lee continued, “Then, there is you. And you four are the only ones in this whole city, whom are from another reality, that knows the truth about me. And we both know that none you are going to tell the others.”

Chang baited Lee, “And why is that?”

Lee answered, with a wicked grin on his lips, and a crazed look to his eyes, “Because, babe, none of you want to spoil the climax. You want to see the train wreck, not be the cause of this train wreck. We both know this is only going to end in one of two ways for me. More than likely, it will all blow up in my face, in which case I will either suffer death, or worse. Or, I might, by some miracle, be able to pull an ace from my sleeve, and win by getting what I want from them.”

Chang stated, “You want a reality device, to escape with. Either from Revy and her group. Or, one of our reality devices.”

Lee replied, “Of course. But, I know better than to ask for one of yours.”

Chang complimented, “Smart man. Also, given the way you stated that, I am going to let that, babe, comment, slide.”

Lee continued smiling, as he responded, “Thank you. And either way, it is all on my head. For you, this is guilt free entertainment of the most extreme variety. And you are still asking why I did all this? Why am I here, instead of under a rock somewhere? And why do I want from them?”

Chang inquired, “Good questions. Care to answer them?” He thought, 'I wonder if he will admit to having cancer.'

Lee smile turned mischievous, as he teased, “And ruin the surprise. I think not. Chang, just sit back, and enjoy the show. I have a feeling this is going to wrap up and head to the next stage, one way or another, within less than a week.”

Chang thought, 'So, you are not going to admit that you are dying. But, that is an issue for another time. And one that is sooner rather than later.' He commented, “After doing all this, and writing those stories, you are likely more insane than any of the girls. Even River, and Revy.”

Lee grin became slightly manic, as he replied, “Yea. And none of them have figured out my lone sane man act, that I have been pretending to be, is completely fake.”

Chang let out a laugh. He then responded, “If Rock, Revy, and the others weren't after you, I would offer you a job. You have shown some skill, being able to play head games with them for months on end, without getting caught.”

Lee lips curled into a smirk, as he commented, “You of all people know what a person is capable of when they have to do something.... Extreme.”

Chang agreed, “Very true. And you know, you have been acting like an a villain explaining his evil plan.”

Lee conceded, “True. I admit, monologuing is fun. You have done this before, yourself.”

Chang replied, “True. It can be addictive.”

Lee agreed, “Yes. Besides, I rarely get a chance to talk about shop in my life. And this is too great an opportunity to pass up.”

Chang responded, “No arguments there.”

Chang saw Lee begin to calm down.

Lee inquired, “I was wondering. I hinted at it. Because the series itself hinted at it, But, did you actually realize you were in a fictional series, during the events in the Black Lagoon series?”

Chang shrugged, as he replied, “It became kind of obvious during the first time Roberta came to town.”

Lee agreed, “True. Onto another matter. I know you guys didn't tell Megatron about me, and my stories. Because if you did, he and his followers would be literally tearing this planet apart to find me, right now.”

Chang admitted, “You got that right. And don't worry. None of us have anything to do with him.”

Lee replied, “Good.”

Chang added, “Except, Annie. And that is your fault.”

Lee conceded, “True. But, that could be a good thing. I made it so that Annie and Megatron were friends. If things did get out of hand, Annie could handled the situation, without situation becoming a full scale war.”

Chang admitted, “That is a good point.” He thought, 'Damn. It is as I spectected. Lee has plans within plans. And as such, I might as well ask him about politics.'

Chang asked, “I have an another question for you, Lee, on politics.”

Lee questioned, “What is it?”

Chang inquired, “What is your opinion of the concept of democracy?”

Lee thought, 'I might as well be honest. He might be one of the few people in existence that would appreciate what I have to say.'

Lee calmly answered, “Democracies. Republics. Anything with a ballot system is just a lie. A lie to keep the people under the illusion they have some control of their lives, when in truth, a ballot system is just another way to enslave the people, by those pulling their strings.”

“Taxation with representation is complete bullshit. Every government is a tyranny, that hypocritically masquerades as being civil. This is no such thing as due process. In this world, a person is either a tyrant, or a slave. There is no in-between. Just because you don't see the shackles on your body, does not mean they are not there.”

“In this world, free thinking individuality is punished, and unquestioned subservience is rewarded. The subservience is especially rewarded when the sycophants are sadistic in the manner they carry out their orders, as a way to harm the people, and keep them oppressed.”

“And we have the worst sort of tyrants in this world. Instead of honest tyrants, such as Genghis Khan and Vlad the Impaler. Whom were open and honest with their brutality. We have the kind of tyrants that claim to have civility. We have Robespierres, and Stalins. Those that pretend to be civil, but whom will commit the most hideous of crimes. Those that would hide their crimes from public view, while piling the body counts to the point no single person could count them all.”

“These are the type of tyrants that would punish those that called them on their brutality, by seizing that person's family's wealth and property. Sending that person off to a gulag to be tortured, and worked to death. Executing the person's parents. Turning the person's wife into a concubine, to be raped and tortured by the tyrant and his friends. And selling the person's children into sex slavery.”

“That is the type of evil we have in this world. Mostly outside of heavily armed populations, such as in the U.S. And these tyrannical, sadistic tactics are a cottage industry, that is standard practice across the world. And the tyrants' servants in the press do all they can to hide such crimes from the public.”

“And these hypocritical tyrants are not even the masters of this world. They serve even greater evils, that hide in the shadows.”

“In such situations, I believe the best, pure, and only true form of government is an open, brutal dictatorship. Because, said dictatorships are honest, open about their oppression and brutality. Because, at the heart, that is what all governments and religions are about. Brutality, and control.”

“Constitutional republics, democracies, and other forms of representative governments are like marxism. They look good on paper, but they never actually exist in reality. No matter how much tyrants, behind the scenes, call the countries they control, democracies, or republics. And these shadowy tyrants do so as way to mentally shackle the people into thinking they are free and have rights, when in actuality, they are just well fed, and entertained, slaves.”

Chang noticed Lee voice slowly become more erratic, as he continued his speech, “There is not such thing as human rights. There is no such thing as constitutional rights. Such things are lies designed to enslave the people even further.”

“I remember as a child, as people from all walks of life abused me, they gave their justification for hurting me as being that it was their constitutional right to do so.”

“While, I had no rights, because I was born a white male, from the southeastern United States. As such, to everyone else, it is my fault I was born a dumb, mentally retarded, racist, sexist, bigoted, inbred, uncivilized, intolerant, willfully ignorant, hick, whom deserves TO KNOW ONLY SUFFERING IN LIFE!”

Lee realized he has become too angry to continue speaking. He stopped talking for a few seconds, as he forced himself to calm down.

Meanwhile, Chang was quiet, as he thought, with concern, 'It is best I remain silent, for now. Lee is pretty much showing me exactly who he is. And what he has been through. Which is clearly a lot. He is the embodiment of the tortured writer.'

'Also, from what I have known of him, both in person, and what I have heard from my friends. Lee is manipulative. Though, otherwise he has been civilized, polite, tolerate, and even caring, for other people. He is also extremely intelligent, and imaginative. He could not play at our level, if he was stupid. I believe many of his actions are genuine. In that, I heard he helped Melvin, when he did not have too. He even helped Revy and the girls, now and then.'

'And River would have blown Lee's cover, at their poker game, if he was not a genuinely nice, and truly polite, man. Even thought he has a bit of a mouth on him.'

'In addition, Lee's writings reflect a measure of fairness, and equality, in all areas, that I rarely see in real life.'

'It is clear that Lee has been the victim of everyone else's bigotry towards him, for a very long time. And he has had to swallow that pain and abuse, towards him, for years. Given his age. Likely decades. With all that repression inside Lee, even with my resources, I do not want to see what Lee can really do to someone when he really gets angry.'

By then, Lee felt he was calm enough to continue. He stated, in a calmer tone of voice, “I find documents that state such lies, that the people have rights and freedoms, are worth less than the toilet paper people use to wipe their asses with.”

“As such, I would take one honest tyrant over a thousand politicians, sucking up to their masters, while stabbing the people in the back. I am talking about the type of tyrant that is completely open with their brutality. Whom takes someone calling them on their brutality to be a compliment.”

“And in all this, I have found the most honest government in this world is the Iranian government, and their masters, the mujtahids. They do not pretend the people have a voice is how their politicians are picked. No fixed primaries. They openly select who is in government. There is no argument that the people have any voice in government. Which the people do not.”

“Still, they are just as bad at having mock elections. They openly select two people for the people to choose in the two card monte game we call a ballot system. Which makes them just as bad as everyone else.”

“And through all this, in this world, with an evil God overlooking its sadistic handiwork, this is how it has always been, and always will be, forever.”

“To that end. I don't care if they are ignorant of such evil, or not. Either way, I have no stomach, nor tolerance towards those people that worship, and preach lies, in the name of such evil. Especially, those who are willfully ignorant, and refuse to accept the truth, concerning such evil, when it is staring at them, in their faces.”

Chang mentally reflected, in surprise, 'And I thought Revy and Balalaika had negative outlooks on life. This guy has definitely been through some shit.'

'No wonder he writes. Writing is probably the only outlet he had to work through his pain, and make himself feel better. And considering what he is telling me, I surprised he is this sane. And that his writing did not reflect a more sadistic nature. Unless, he worked that out in previous writings that we were not part of. If so, I am not going to touch that subject with a ten foot pole.'

'Also, it is very clear he is knowledgeable about many things, and not just those he writes about. I am not talking to someone, whom speaks out of ignorance. And I need to remember that about him.'

Lee continued, “That is why I admire you, Chang. Your rule has always shown a measure of restraint, and reasonableness. Traits are are lacking in the leaders of this world. When it comes to violence, you tend to give people warnings when they cross you. It is their fault they don't listen to you. And while you are polite and nice, when you are called on your brutality, you freely admit to it. You are honest and open about it. You don't hide it. And you usually don't kill the person who does call you on your less savory actions, unless they are rude about it.”

Lee compliments caught Chang off guard.

Chang thought, 'After everything he said. I believe he just complimented me.' He replied, “Thank you.”

Lee replied, “You're welcome.” He shrugged, as he casually said, “Oh well. Fuck it all. Let the world burn. I intend to move on in life, or death. Whatever comes. Let them torture, and kill, each other. I just refuse to be a part of it. I won't sink to their level. Even if it costs my life, and my soul is sent to Hell forever, for refusing to be a part of God's sadistic, twisted game.”

Chang thought, 'Okay. So, you want to move on from this shithole that is life in this reality. And considering you think God is evil. Not that I disagree. I guess you would have to come to terms that, should you die in this reality, you would likely go to hell, no matter what you do in your life. Good. Bad. It doesn't matter. You believe you are eternally damned either way.'

'Including Balalaika, and a few others, Lee, you seem to be one of the rare people I know that looks forward to going to hell. That is a scary thought. Because compared to making peace with the possibility of facing eternal suffering after death, nothing scares them in their life...'

'So, that is the great secret to your poker face, Lee. That acceptance of such an unfair, and horrible fate, for you to personally suffer, is what allows you to remain calm.'

'I think I just figured you out, Lee.'

Lee said, in a kind tone of voice, “I hope you did not take offense to my comments.”

Chang responded, “No. I take what you have to say as a high compliment. Honesty is the last refuge a person can take in this sea of shit.”

Lee stated, “I agree. I just wish I could be more honest. But, given my situation, I cannot. Between you and me. I hate lying. I loath lying. And I have been having to do it all my life, just to survive.”

Chang thought, 'I would call you a hypocritical. But considering who is after you. I won't.' He said, “I am sure you will reach a point where you will be able to be honest, one way, or another.”

Lee replied, “Yes. I do look forward to that. Even if this winds up being my last days being alive.”

Chang thought, 'While I still have you here, I wonder what your opinion of Pedro is?' He asked, “What is your opinion of Pedro's moral flexibility? He is clearly not a by the book cop.”

Lee answered, “When compared to myself. Pedro is on the orange end of the morality scale, while I am on the blue end.”

Chang raised an eyebrow, as he inquired, “Tvtropes?”

Lee replied, “Of course. A few of the things I put you guys through, came from that website.”

Chang questioned, “Such as?”

Lee answered, “Like having Akira leave the toilet seat up, and Shenhua falling in.”

Chang chuckled for a few seconds. As Chang calmed down, he said, “I would guess that is why she is in on this hunt for you.'

Lee agreed, “I would guess so, as well. Now, I do have a couple of other questions of my own.”

Chang thought, 'Fair is fair. And he has answered most of my questions. So, why not?' He inquired, “What are they?”

Lee sighed. He then asked, “I used very broad strokes on those you kidnapped, and used, for you breeding projects. Do the victims know about me, or my stories? I have nightmares about some of those victims, and their children, coming for me.”

Chang thought, 'I regret that part of my life, and I rightly blame you for it. But, not enough to hurt you over those events. And I really don't want to know where you got the idea to write that from. Still...' He firmly stated, “As you should. You should feel fortunate that they do not know that you, and the stories, even exist.”

Lee inquired, “Thank you for that little piece of information. Anyway, did you ever go after pilots of the super-robot genre? And not just the anime characters, but others, such at Coop, Kiva, and Jamie, from the Megas XLR series?”

Chang answered, “No. I did not, for a number of reasons. First, you had that, no younger than eighteen, rule. Good rule, by the way. On those pilots that are older than eighteen, none of them I really needed. And only a handful stood out. And on the subject of Coop, Kiva, and Jamie. I left them alone.”

“On Kiva. I already redheaded asian badass. I did not need two of them. Jamie was useless to me. And Coop. Well, the only skills Coop has are piloting, and working on, the super-robot, Megas. And even I was not crazy enough to put a brainwashed pilot in charge of a weapon, with buttons that state such things as, smite the world.”

“The same goes for their alternate reality counterparts. Besides, I am not even sure we could even fit Coop into one of those vats.”

Lee chuckled, as he thought, 'That is probably true. Plus, if something happened to Coop, Kiva, and Jamie, it would likely piss off Ranma.' He then said, “I can see your point.”

Chang mentioned, “And to be honest, I was too uncomfortable with the concept of super-robots to mess with that genre. That is just more firepower than I am comfortable with. With no upper limit to their firepower. Like Lovecraftian beings. I did not want to get the attention of individuals with that kind of firepower, and other equally dangerous abilities.”

Lee complimented, “That is very wise of you.”

Chang asked, “Thank you. Anything else, you want to talk about?”

Lee replied, “Not really. You?”

Chang answered, “No. And I will call you a car to take you back to the hotel.”

Chang pulled his cellphone. He then dialed a number on it.

A few seconds later, Chang stated into the cellphone, “Yes. Please, come to my office to escort my guest out of here. Also, have a car waiting to take him, to take him back to the Devil's Hotel.”

Chang hung up and put his cellphone back into his pocket.

Lee focus on Chang, as he stated, “Thank you.”

Chang turned to Lee, as he replied, “You're welcome.”

Lee mentioned, “As a suggestion, you might want to switch to hardlines. The governments of this world tap into all cellphone communications, all the time, and they record that information. Also, they can even track people with them, even if the cellphone is turned off.”

Chang agreed, “That is a good point. But, all my cellphones are designed and encrypted to only work from a celltower in this very building, with a firewall created by Ed Lowe. The connection then moves through that firewall, and a few others defenses, before it connects to the local phone lines, and other hardlines, from a fiberoptic line we had installed, that leads into the mainland.”

Lee complimented, “Smart move.”

Chang smirked, as he replied, “I know.”

Chang then walked back around his desk, as sat back in his seat, behind his desk, as he look at Lee. He offered, “Sit down. It might be a few minutes before Annie gets here.”

Lee said, “Thank you.” He then sat in the chair, in front of Chang's desk, to Chang right.

(_)

A few minutes later, Lee heard the door to the office, open behind him. Lee turned around, to his left, to see Annie, standing at the threshold of the office door.

Annie looked over at two men, as she calmly stated, “There are a car waiting out front. It is ready, when you are.”

Lee said, “Thank you.” He then stood up, and turned back to Chang.

Lee extended his right hand, as he honestly said, “I enjoyed the chat.”

Chang looked up as Lee, as he used his right hand to shake Lee's right hand. He replied, “Same here.”

Both men noted the firm, but not tight, grip, the other hand in this handshake.

A couple of seconds later, they broke their handshake.

Lee turned and walked to Annie.

When Lee reached the exit out of the office, and to the hallway, he continued walking, Annie left Chang's office door open, as she walked beside him, to Lee's left side, down the hallway, towards the front express elevator that would take them to the gaming floor.

As they made their way down the hallway, Annie inquired, “I take it that your meeting went well?”

Lee continued looking forwards, as he answered, “Well, considering I am still breathing, and walking out of here under my own power, I would say, yes.”

Annie commented, “You do look on the brighter side of things.”

Lee commented, “It is the only way to stay sane in the situation I find myself in.”

Annie shrugged, she replied, “True.”

Annie and Lee walked to the express elevator, they turned the corner in the hallway, and they were met by River.

Annie, Lee, and River, came to a stop, as they looked at each other.

River was wearing a long skirt, t-shirt, and cowgirl boots, as she said, with concern in her tone of voice, in english, “Lee, I heard you were kidnapped? Are you alright?”

Lee turned to Annie, and then back to River. He answered, “Yes. I will be fine.”

River gave Lee a warm smile, as she replied, “Good. See you around, Lee.”

Lee said, “You as well, River.”

River then walked passed them, as Lee and Annie continued walking for the front express elevator.

As the two adults walked beside each other, Annie commented, “You to seem to be on very friendly terms with River?”

Lee commented, “I long since learned that being polite has its advantages.”

Annie responded, “I will admit that it does. And I am guessing that is why you were so nice to her at the poker game?”

Lee admitted, “Absolutely. Any other way, and I would have lost. And I am not just talking about the poker game itself. I was nice, friendly, played fairly, and that is why she kept my secret.”

Annie shrugged, as she responded, “I can see your point there. Do you think she is going to be in trouble with Chang for keeping your identity a secret?”

They then made it to the elevator, with Annie pushing the button for the elevator. The elevator immediately opened.

As they walked into the elevator, Lee answered, “Of course not. If River could not be trusted to keep a secret, any secret, she would have long since been dead.”

Annie thought over Lee's comment for a few seconds, as they turned around in the elevator, to face the door.

As the doors automatically closed behind them, Annie realized, as she admitted, “That is true.”

(_)

Meanwhile, River walked into Chang's office. She knocked on his open door, to get Chang's attention, as she continued walking inside.

Chang looked up at her, from behind his desk, as he replied, “I wondered when you would show up?”

River came to a stop, a few feet in front of Chang's desk, answered, “I was busy today.”

Chang inquired, “We both know why you are here. I am not upset that you kept Lee's identity a secret. I just want to know why you kept it a secret from everyone?”

River said, “As I have read his mind, I found that Lee is really a nice person, very down on his luck. So, he wrote those stories. But, he honestly did not realize what he was doing at the time. And he was writing to maintain his sanity. That man has issues. He does not deserve what Revy, and the others, have planned for him.”

Chang responded, “After the conversation I just had with Lee, I agree with you.”

River smiled at Chang, as she replied, “Thank you.”

Chang asked, “You're welcome. So, why is Lee staying around Revy, and the others, in the first place? It does not make sense?” He thought, 'Unless he has cancer. Like I suspect.'

River answered, “It is as you suspect. Lee is dying of cancer. He is gambling that he can steal one of their reality devices, so he can have a future of some kind.”

Given Chang was speaking to a telepath, he stated what he was thinking, as he replied, “That explains a lot. That is why he did not tell me the reasons he wanted to get his hands on a reality device. And after comparing current and older pictures of him, I already realized he had cancer.”

“And while my letting him know that he is the writer limits his options. Him knowing that I know he is dying, would further weaken his bargaining position. And while I could use that as a way to control him. But, I don't want to. Beside, he does not want to owe me a favor. Which is a good reason for both of us keeping what we know, on that matter, a secret, from the other.”

“Though, in all honesty, I would be tempted to give Lee one of my reality device, right now, if doing so wouldn't piss off Revy, and her amazon brigade.”

River complimented, “That is a good point.”

Chang questioned, “How long does he have?”

River answered, “Around two months.”

Chang said, “Okay. We still have time to work this out. Lee has shown some talent, with a number of abilities. He could be useful to us. The trick is how to convince everyone else after his hide, to back off. I am guessing that even with your super-genius, you don't have an answer? Yet?”

River admitted, “Speaking for personal experience, on the other side of the equation, it is hard to negotiate with violent lunatics.”

Chang commented, “You would know. Though, you are a lot saner than you use to be. And at least the maids have yet to come to town.”

River replied, “Let us count our fortunes on that one.”

Chang said, “Agreed.”

The two them talked for a little while on the matter. Though, neither was able to come up with a workable solution. And they agreed to think on it, over the day. To see if one of them came up with an idea to save Lee, while getting his enemies, off his back.

(_)

Meanwhile, a few minutes ago, just after Lee and Annie left River, and walked into the express elevator. The elevator doors had just closed, with the elevator beginning to take Annie and Lee down to the gaming floor.

As the elevator moved downward, the two adults sitting next to each other, with Lee to Annie's left side, as they faced the elevator door.

Annie turned to Lee, as she requested, “Lee... Can I call you, Lee?”

Lee turned to Annie, as he replied, “Sure. What can I call you?”

Annie answered, “Annie is fine. Well Lee, I am surprised you are not scared out of your mind to see me. Let alone meet, and talk with me. You know who, and what, I am. You are also partly responsible for who, and what, I currently am. Though, I will give you credit that most of what you have done to me, has benefited me.”

Lee said, “I am glad you think that. And that you are grateful.” He thought, 'I wish Revy, Rock, and the others after my hide, were as grateful, as you.'

Annie pointed out, “Yes. I appreciate what you have done for me. But, I am not sensing any fear from you towards me. All I sense is indifference to your situation.”

Lee stated, “Annie. Even though you are very powerful. At the end of the day, you are sane. You are very sane. Even when you were in the black suit, you were sane. You just had a bad temper. And I have been dealing with insane, violent women for a while, now. Compared to dealing with them, this is a very pleasant experience.”

Annie agreed, “I can see why you would think that. I sense you have another questions for me?”

Lee admitted, “Yes. Though, I do have a few questions for you. Though, they are questions I have no right to ask.”

Annie stated, “Go ahead, and ask the questions, anyway. I am not going to hurt you over asking your questions.”

Lee asked, “Why are you working for, Chang? I thought you hated him. Hell, I know you hated him. I wrote you that way.”

Annie responded, “Thanks to you, I have learned to be a more forgiving person. Still, I am charging Chang a fortune for my services. In gold and jewels. We have a good arrangement. Besides the money being good. I get to keep my own hours. And the spa perks here are amazing. Given Inara is in charge of the spa, that is not surprising. The things she can do as a masseuse, even without getting sexual, would blow your mind.”

Lee thought, 'That confirms that. Now, for my next question.'

Lee inquired, “I don't doubt that. And how can you be partnered up with Arcee?”

Annie answered, “I can sense that Arcee needs some emotional help. So I am helping her deal with some of her personal issues. I have helped others in the same way. And since I am not going to harm you over your hand in my current situation, that is no point in harming them, either.”

Lee replied, “Fair enough.”

Lee thought, 'Now, to have some fun. By asking one of those questions, one always wants to ask Annie, but was afraid to ask. And I wasn't sure how she would react to the question. Let alone what her answer would be.'

Lee casually questioned, in a relaxed tone of voice, “Anyway. In all sincerity. What is your opinion of the movie, Spaceballs?”

Annie giggled, for a few seconds. She continued giggling a little, with a wicked grin on her lips, as she answered, “Funniest movie ever conceived by man. I wish I had thought of Dark Helmet's idea for keeping his men in line. Sure, going for the throat, and killing subordinates is one thing. But, going for the balls is just plain mean. And his attrition rate must have been very low. And the idea made me ask myself, why didn't I think of that first?”

Lee thought, 'So, Annie finds a parody film about herself fun. That is good. Like River, keeping Annie happy is always good.'

'And Annie agrees with what some of her parody counterpart, Dark Helmet, did in that film. I guess that makes sense. I agree that some of the ideas that Dark Helmet employed were intelligent. And Dark Helmet and Mel Brooks, did come up with the, good is dumb, comment. So, while Dark Helmet was a parody of Darth Vader, he was an intelligent parody.'

'And Annie always did have a wicked sense of humor. Even as Anakin, and later on as Vader. I am glad has her keep that sense of humor, in my stories, as well.'

Lee agreed, “Yea. Dark Helmet had the best of both worlds on that one. It was too bad that he was surrounded by Assholes.”

Annie grinned widened at Lee's joke, as she giggled a little more. She happily responded, “Yes. And I have had those moments before, myself. Where I had to restrain myself from not just killing all the officers under my command, but everyone under my command, for their collective stupidity. And it wasn't mostly the clones that were at fault. It was the sycophants that made it up the ranks, that were the problem for me.”

Lee commented, “Now, that I think about. I can see that you must have killed a number of your subordinates, because they were sucking up to you. And through the force, you knew they were lying, and you just had to wait for an official excuse to kill them.”

By then, Annie had calmed down. She still slightly grinned, as she stated, “Exactly. And most of them were sycophants. And even at my worst, I respected honesty, as long as the person was not being a jerk about it.”

Lee commented, “That is nice to know.” He thought, 'Also, it just occurred to me. On a related matter. Annie might not like some of Monty Python. Such as the movie, the Quest For the Holy Grail, and the black knight skit. That might hit too close to home for her. Though, now that I am having a nice conversation with her. There are other topics I wish to speak to Annie about.'

By then, the elevator door stopped, and opened on the ground floor.

Lee sadly thought, 'Too late. I just hope we get to continue this conversation, later.'

Both of them stepped out, into the elevator bay, and passed the two female guards, standing at the sides of the express elevator, as Lee said, “We will have to continued this conversation for another time.”

Annie agreed, “Yes. We will. And thank you for not saying any Star Wars injokes.”

Lee stated, “I think we both agree that I already worked those injokes out of my system.”

Annie said, “True. Well, see you later.”

Lee replied, “You too.”

As the two adults continued walking into the gaming floor, Annie slowed down, so she could turned towards her left, behind Lee, as she towards the restaurant, to get some lunch.

Meanwhile, Lee continued heading straight, towards the front entrance doors.

When Lee reached to the front doors, he pushed opened one of the doors, and walked through, to the outside, with the door automatically closing behind him.

As Lee continued walking, on the concrete sidewalk, under the large awning of the hotel, he saw in front of him, there was a black, four door sedan, under the carport that was attached to the awning. With the right passenger side of the car facing Lee, by the curb.

A young, slender, chinese woman, in a black business suit, held the passenger back door, on the driver's side of the car open, as she looked over at Lee.

The woman said, in english, with a slight chinese accent, “Mister Lee. If you would come with me.”

Lee continued walking towards the black car, as he turned his head towards the woman. He stated, “Yes. I have a minor request. Instead of taking me to the Devil's Hotel. Could you please take me to the Rats Nest, so I could pick my car.”

The woman replied, “Most certainly.”

With his request confirmed, Lee silently walked over, and got into the right side back seat of the car. The woman closed the back door, and then walked to the driver's door, open it, got in, closer the driver's door, used the key to start the engine, she drove the car out of the casino parking lot, and onto the road.

Lee was silent, during the entire drive to the Rats Nest, as he thought about what had happened today.

Lee thought, 'Well, I can now add at least three more people that know who I am. Chang, Annie, and Arcee. And unlike River, those three are both dangerous, and they can be mean. Even when she was insane, River always tried to be nice, unless something triggered her to be violent, sometimes against her will. The same cannot be said for the other three.'

'Still, they all agreed to keep my secret. For now. But, I do not know how long their lips will stay sealed.'

'Adding to that, my government has finally found me. Though, I doubt they will do anything for a few days. Given the embarrassment for them of what just happened. Also, they won't make another move until they figure out what exactly is happening on this island, to this subordinates. That could be a while, given the answer to the truth would probably not be accepted by the bureaucrats that will be likely assigned to work on the case. The truth is just to insane to accept.'

'So, either way, I have time. But, either way. In the long run, I am screwed.'

Lee continued to thinking about his situation, as he was being driven to the Rats Nest bar.

(_)

Fifteen minutes later, the chinese driver dropped Lee off at the front entrance of the Rats Nest.

After Lee exited the car, and gently closed the door to the car, driver drove off.

Lee wasted no time checking on the Rats Nest bartender. Instead, Lee ran to the parking lot, where he found his car, where he left it. He used his keys to get into the driver's side of the car.

A few seconds after Lee sat down in the driver's seat of his car, he used his car key to start the ignition, and drove to the Devil's Hotel. Though, he did go at the speed limit. So, as to not attract any more unwanted attention, than he already had to deal with that day.

(_)

Five minutes later, Lee parked in the middle part of the parking lot, in front of the Devil's Hotel entrance.

After Lee got out of his car out, he locked and shut his car door. Lee then swiftly made it across the parking lot, and into the hotel, from the front lobby entrance.

Once Lee was through the entryway, and inside the front lobby, quietly, through quickly, walked his way to the elevator bay.

Lee soon made it to the third floor, and into the bedroom, of his suite.

Lee shut the door, as he pocketed his key to the hallway door to his suite. He then locked the deadbolt to the lock. After which, he turned on the ceiling light, as he turned around to face his bedroom, as he leaned against the back of his hallway door.

Lee took off his baseball cap and glasses. He tossed them both onto his bed, to his left side, across the room. Both items landed on the bed, without a problem.

By then, the anxiety of situation was starting to take its toll on Lee. With Lee starting to take slower, more deeper, stronger breaths, with each breath, as he replayed the scenes of the day, over and over, in his mind.

Lee rubbed his face, to try to help himself calm down, but it doing so did no good for him.

All Lee's careful planning was falling apart. He has been found out by multiple people. The authorities knew where he was. Chang knew who he was. It was only a matter of time before his plans fully collapsed, and the girls in the hotel, he was in, learned the truth about him

Then, there was the cancer that was slowly killing him. The cancer that was making him thinner and thinner, until he was a living skeleton. Then, he would die.

Along with all those facts, people were now dead because of him. And not just today. But, from his writings. Real people. Not just sentences on a word processor he was typing. But, real people. People he saw first hand, that were dead because of his existence.

And it all hit him at once, as something broke inside of him. With the tight control over his emotions finally slipping away, allowing the leash on the darkness behind his mask to show on the outside, allowing his repressed, insane rage to come out to play.

Lee needed to damage something, or he knew he was going to hurt someone. And damaging a thing was a lot easier to deal with, in the aftermath, than physically hurting someone. He could just simply pay for damages to something. The same could not be said for hurting a person.

Lee looked over at the steel coat rod beside him, to his left, that was attached to the wall.

Lee swiftly ripped the coat rod off its attachments, allowing the suits he had hanged on the rod, to fall to the floor.

He then use the rod as a baseball back to beat against the bedroom side of the wall that divided his bedroom with his bathroom.

He beat on the wall for two straight minutes, creating holes and gashes, to work out his anger.

Finally, he just dropped the rob, as he collapsed to the floor. He began to cry at how much hell his life had been since he was born. And no matter how much effort he put into trying to improve his life, God just pulled strings on people, and events, to make his life even worse, and more painful.

(_)

Twenty minutes later, after Lee has finally be able to collect himself, to where he would not break out into tears at the pain hell his life had been for as long as he could remember, he stood up. He then went to his bed to collect his baseball cap and large glasses.

Lee put on his baseball cap, and large glasses. And he head back to the hallway door.

When he reached the door, turned off the ceiling light, from the light switch by the door.

Lee undid the deadbolt to his door, opened his door, and he exited into the hallway. He pulled the door closed behind him, with the knob lock to the door to his suite locking behind, as he headed for the elevator bay, and to the lobby.

When Lee entered the lobby, from the elevator bay, he walk over to the check in desk.

As he walked, Lee looked around and he did not see any Revy's crew present in the room.

Lee thought, with a bit of gallows humor, 'At least I don't have to worry about them bothering me. Given the state of my mind, right now, I would be tempted to start a fight with one of them, just so I could die in battle. All my other options such when compared to that.'

When Lee reach the check in desk, he came to a stop, as he turned to face the counter, with the two clerks on duty, standing behind the counter.

One of the clerks on duty look across the counter at Lee. The clerk, in question, asked, in english, “Is there something I can do for you, sir?”

Lee answered, “Yes.” He then pulled out a rolled of money, and he set it on the counter, as he stated, “I had an accident in my room, just now. This is three thousand U.S. dollars. This should pay for the damages to the room, and then some.”

Lee did not even both to maintain his poker face, as he grimly thought, 'There goes over a third of my money. Well, I wasn't planning to live to spend it, anyway. And if I had decided to escape. That would have probably only bought me a few weeks, anyway. Compared to the month or so, the cancer is going to take to kill me. And I am not going to go, dying on the street, alone in the middle of a foreign city. I have more self-respect than that.'

The clerk picked up the roll of money. He undid the roll. As he counted the hundred dollar bills, he commented, “It must have been one of those kinds of accidents.”

Lee admitted, “Yes.”

By then the clerk finished counting, and he found that it was indeed three thousand U.S. dollars.

The clerk set the money under the counter. He looked at Lee, in his eyes. Lee could see there was no anger in the clerk's eyes. Just a calm state of professionalism. The clerk stated, “We appreciate you telling us up front, about what happened. And you have also immediately paid for damages. So, there will be no problems from us, towards you, for your actions.”

Lee said, “I glad to hear that.” He thought, 'I have enough problems, as is.'

The clerk inquired, “So am I. I will make you a receipt. Do you wish to be relocated to another room?”

Lee answered, “No. The damage is not serious. So, you can repair them, later. Besides, I have a feeling I am not going to be here for much longer.”

The clerk said, “We are sorry to hear that. We hope you have enjoyed your stay.”

Lee sorrowfully stated, “The sad fact is that the time I have spent here has been some of the best parts of my life.” He thought, 'And given most of my time here has been intensely stressful on me, that is not saying much.'

The clerk calmly replied, “We appreciate that.”

The clerk then made Lee a receipt, and handed it to him.

Lee pocketed the receipt. He then turned to his right, and headed back towards the elevator bay.

While Lee walked, he grimly thought, with anger and disappointment lacing his thoughts, 'Forget Sam. He seems to disappear without notice. Well it is my turn. Forget Pedro. The man has barely been any help to me, at all. Forget everything. I am going back to my suite, and I am going to stay there for tonight, and tomorrow. So, I can relax, and figure out what I am going to do next. I will dine in tonight, and tomorrow. Hopefully, by this time tomorrow, I will have figured out what I can do to salvage my situation.'

'And I have already figured out what to do, for my worst case scenario. That being I may have to bolt from this town at a moments notice.'

'I still have close to five grand, U.S., in my pockets. That is enough for food and lodgings, for the immediate future. So, I am not hurting for money. For at least a few weeks. In which case, I will let the cancer take me.'

'And if I run out of money, I will just end my life by my own hand.'

'Same difference. It is only a matter of how long the span of time that I remain breathing. And such a short different in lengths of time is insignificant to the eternity of pain and suffering, that I have to look forward to, in Hell, no matter what I do.'

'Besides, my alternatives seem to be far worse.'

Lee then made it to the elevator bay. He soon took an elevator to the third floor, and after he unlocked his door, he walked back into his suite.

Once he got to his suite, he shut, and locked, the door behind him. He walked over to the lamp light, and turned it on.

Lee then spent the next five minutes repairing the steel coat rod, the best he could. He got it to where he hung on the wall, and he could set his suits to hang from it.

After which, Lee turned off the lamp light, with the curtains blocking the outside light, he was sitting in a mostly dark room, safe for the light coming from around the curtains of the room, which provide just enough light to navigate around his room.

Lee walked over to his bed, he grabbed the remote, as he sat down on his end of his bed, with his feet on the floor, in front of the bed.

Next, Lee used his remote to turn on the TV, and find something watch. Anything to watch. To take his mind off his own horrific problems. In his past, present, and future.

(_)

Around an hour later, in his suite, Lee was sitting on his bed, in the dark, from the turned off lights, and shut curtains. He was still watching TV, which did little to take his mind off of his problems.

He then started hearing the phone on his nightstand, on the left side of his bed, begin to ring.

Lee used his remote to turn off the TV. He toss the remote on his bed, as he moved around his bed, to reach the phone.

When Lee reached the phone, he picked up the receiver to his phone.

Lee was sitting up, as he held the receiver to his right ear. He said, “Hello.”

A familiar voice said, in english, “Hello Lee. It's Sam.”

Lee replied, in a tired tone of voice, “Hey Sam.”

Sam asked, with concern in his tone of voice, “What happened? We were suppose to meet back at after lunch, but you never showed up?”

Lee thought, 'I believe it will be best not to tell him that I was kidnapped, then rescued by a Transformer, and the woman whom was formally Darth Vader. Though, that would likely give him a good laugh. Instead, I will just keep this simple.'

Lee answered, “Sorry. Something came up at the last moment. And I think I am going to need some time alone for today, and tomorrow. I will see you the day after tomorrow. And thanks for calling.” He mentally added, 'At least someone gives a damn about me.'

Sam responded, “No problem. Take the time you need. I will be here, when you need me. I will see you the morning after tomorrow, at the Rats Nest.”

Lee said, “Thanks Sam. I will see you, then.”

Lee then hung up the phone. A few seconds later, something occurred to Lee, as he thought, 'I might as well call Pedro. It is better, for myself, if I tell him what happened, than for him to learn what happened from someone else.'

Lee then picked up the receiver, and dialed another number.

That was just enough ambient light coming from the outside, around the curtains, to see the outline of the phone key pad, for Lee to dial a number.

As the phone picked up on the other end of the line, Lee did not wait for the other person to say, hello. Instead, Lee stated, in english, “It's Lee. Please, transfer me to Chief Del Soto. It is important.”

A few seconds later, the call was transferred, and Pedro picked up the other end of the line. Pedro said, in spanish, “Hello.”

Lee stated, “Hi Pedro. There are some things, today, that happened me. That I need to tell you about, right now. It cannot wait for this evening.”

Pedro replied, in english, “I can guess. My boys had to clean up some bodies on the highway leading to the bridge, out of town. From the hardware, I am guessing a hit squad, from your homeland, was sent after you, and bring you back to them.”

Lee thought, 'Keeping it vague is a smart move, Pedro. We do not know if this call is being monitored.' He said, “Yea. What you likely guessed what happened, likely happened.”

Pedro commented, “I found some cauterized wounds on the bodies. Are those injuries from who I think they are from?”

Lee said, “Yes. She helped me, along with her large, pink friend.”

There was a few seconds of silence. Pedro then replied, “So, she is here, as well?”

Lee answered, “Yes. Do we have to worry about reprisals?”

Pedro stated, “I doubt it. I bumped this up to my superiors on the mainland. This is not the first time you homeland's government tried something like this, on my island. And this is not the first time they did not return.”

Lee thought, 'Good. That is the answer I was hoping to here. Though, do need to know what the local authorities are going to do, in response to this. I need to know if the mainland authorities might send someone to investigate the matter, and arrest me.'

Lee inquired, “So, what is going to happen behind the scene.”

Pedro answered, “Well, behind closed doors, away from the press, my country's government will complain. Your country's government will deny everything. The entire incident will be swept under the rug. And nothing will come of it. I will probably have to get rid of the bodies. I think I will have them buried, in unmarked graves, with a priest preforming last rites.”

Lee thought, 'Good. Nothing is going to immediately come out of this mess. Meaning, I still have some time to figure out what to do. But, right now, that is looking like a matter of days. A week at most. But, that is still a little time. And I have worked with less time before, while being successful in my goals. Now, to compliment Pedro. To help keep him happy with me.'

Lee complimented, “That is kind of you.”

Pedro questioned, “Thank you. So, what happened next?”

Lee thought, 'Given that he has been covering for me, all this time. I am going to have to tell him. Though, I will keep my story vague. And I am sure he will be able to read the lines. This is not the first time we have done this. And he has not complained once about our speaking in code.'

Lee stated, “They took me to see their boss. And I had a long talk with him. They know about me. But, they are not going to do anything to me, for right now.”

Pedro commented, “Okay. Still, it looks like your con is collapsing in around you.”

Lee grimly thought, 'Even you can see the obvious, Pedro. And it is bad, if you are willing to openly tell me this. And as such, I need to get you out of the line of fire, that I am sure is to come. With what happened today only being a taste of that.'

Lee suggested, “As sad as it is for me to admit, you are likely correct. Also, for your sake, I believe we need to stop meeting each other.”

Pedro replied, “I agree.”

Lee said, in a sincere tone of voice, “And listen. If this is the last time we talk, I thank you for your help. You have saved my life a few times. And I appreciate that.”

Pedro responded, in a firm, thought supportive tone of voice, “You too. You saved my brother's life. And kept me and my boys out of trouble. I thank you for that. And good luck.”

Lee said, “Good luck to you, as well.”

Lee then hung up the phone, as he sat on his bed, in the darkness of his suite.

Lee said, out loud, in a sad, disappointed tone of voice, “Back to fucking square one.”

To be continued.

up
45 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Coming to and End?

It looks like Lee's situation is becoming darker (browner) than it has been up to date. More people know about him, his stories and his health. Now no one is talking, can't be kept secret, too many people know. We get insight into why he is the way he is, his childhood reads like a horror story. It is no wonder that he thinks so darkly about government and politics. The truth is probably somewhere more sane than he thinks, but nothing like what the politicians claim. The end is close. A decision is necessary to get past tomorrow. You have very clearly developed the background and now the pressures that guide Lee in his behavior. Next to his upbringing living with Revy and her crew is nearly a walk in the park. The whole story, especially recently, has kept me on the edge of my seat. I wait somewhat impatiently to see how you work it out. So far it has been great, a little dark due to the backstory. Great story.