Mum's Encouragement Chapter 1 - 4

Printer-friendly version


Mum's Encouragement Chapter One
My First Job
By Lucy J

After leaving school with poor exam results and having had no work for three months my mum nagged me to actively look for work. I replied to a few job vacancies but with no success until I saw an advert in a local paper for someone to be trained to be a receptionist at a hotel approximately 10 minutes walk from where we lived.

I applied and following an interview I was excited to be offered the position which although it didn't pay very well, seemed interesting.

I started a few weeks before my 17th birthday in late August. I was really nervous on my first day and over the next week I was introduced to the other reception staff which consisted of 7 women who worked day shift patterns and a reception manageress who I found out later was leaving in early October to work in another hotel in the north of England.

I was accepted by the women, I suppose like a little brother and they treated me well enough, although I did get all the menial tasks to do as I was the junior. I was to work on reception (not alone), carry out administrative work in the back office, make refreshments, clean the office and generally carry out all the rubbish jobs whilst learning the job of a receptionist.

On my first day the manageress Ms Taylor explained that I would have to tie my shoulder length hair back away from my face. She told me I was to keep it clean and shiny (unlike the dishevelled grunge look I had at the time).

Ms Taylor told me that the following day I was to return to work wearing black trousers, black shoes and a white shirt all issued by the hotel. I was told however that I would have to provide the black shoes.

That evening I told my mum that I had to wear my hair off my face and she suggested that we wash and condition it and then try a few things. She came up with the idea of me wearing it in a low ponytail held with one of her small black plain bands (which I now know to be a scrunchie).

When I glanced in the mirror the next morning before leaving for work, I guess I looked fairly androgenous. My small frame of 5'3" and 8 stone 8 lbs didn't exactly help.

What also didn't help was when I started that morning Ms Taylor gave me a name tag to wear with my name on it however it had been spelt Jo rather than Joe.

I worked at the hotel very happily for the next few weeks however I was embarrassed sometimes to be called miss or young lady (probably because of my longish hair and misspelt name badge). Funnily enough it didn't bother me much and I actually thought it quite funny. The girls I worked with thought it was hilarious and sometimes as a joke called me Joanne (groan).

All was going well until early October when Ms Taylor departed for her new job and the new manageress Mrs Benson started. Mrs Benson was about 55 and very prim and proper.

The first time we all met her she advised us all that everyone was to call her Mrs Benson. We were all collectively introduced to her and then we all had a one to one meeting with her later that day.

I didn't really hit it off with her on the first day. She told me that she thought that a receptionist job was no career for a male. She told me that when she first saw me she thought I was a girl and was puzzled as to why I wasn't wearing the proper uniform. She upset me further by telling me that she thought I was quite effeminate. I didn't mind the odd crack, but was quite upset at this statement.

Mrs Benson told me that she expected everyone to be professional in their jobs and that she expected perfect grooming from everyone including me. She told me that she thought we were all very unkempt and that we didn't create a good first impression to guests.

A week went by and in that time Mrs Benson seemed to criticise me whenever she had the opportunity to do so for whatever little things I did wrong. She had me do menial tasks including on one occassion making me go to the local chemists to buy her some tights.

She advised all of the receptionists including me that she was to going to ensure that we were more presentable and polished and that we would all be wearing the new uniform. True to her word we had our new uniforms within a week.

The girls were given the uniform of knee length navy pencil skirts, a matching navy jacket that I found out later didn't do up and cream long sleeved blouses which had red pussy bow ties at the neck. The girls were told that they would be required to wear navy hosiery and navy court shoes with the uniform which they would need to supply themselves . The girls hated the new uniform although no one complained directly to Mrs Benson as no one wanted to question her authority.

The girls were told that their hair was to be kept off their faces and necks. If their hair was long then they were ordered to pin it up in a chignon or bun (no ponytails were to be allowed). Make-up was to be worn at all times whilst on duty and nails were to be manicured and polished with a light pink colour.

My uniform was slightly different in that I was supplied with navy trousers (it was obvious that she had ordered womens trousers as they zipped up the back). I was also expected to wear the blouses but without the bows. I hated the blouses. They were crepe de chine and had full sleeves that buttoned at the wrist with 3 pearl buttons on each wrist. They had shoulder pads and two pleats on the bodice. Thankfully they were fairly plain apart from the small pearl buttons on the cuffs of the sleeves and down the front.

I was told I had to wear the issued jacket which was obviously a women's jacket. When I protested about the clothes Mrs Benson wanted me to wear, she told me in no uncertain terms that I was being silly and no one would notice that they weren't men's clothes - no such luck!

She informed me that I would also need to abide with a number of the elements rules regarding grooming rules and instructed me to wear my hair in a back bun and to make sure my nails were manicured however thankfully she didn't mention me polishing them.

The next day after a teary eyed night and arguments with my mum over what I had to wear, I walked to work in my new uniform. I could feel the soft thin blouse against my skin and the tailored trousers against my legs. I felt ridiculous wearing my hair in a bun with small hair clips holding my hair rigidly in place. When I looked at my nails I saw neat cuticles where my mum had manicured them the night before.

Mum had convinced me that I had to wear the uniform and said that if I didn't I might be in trouble for being in breach of contract and could possibly face being dismissed. Mum said I shouldn't push Mrs Benson's patience and she made it quite clear to me that I was to do everything I needed to do to keep my job. She told me that she didn't want me lazing about at home and said "anyway wearing a woman's shirt wasn't such a big sacrifice to keep your manageress happy"

That morning the three of us who were on the early shift were inspected by Mrs Benson and although she was pleased with the girls attempts she felt I was the odd one out as I stood out from the girls in appearance, which she disapproved off.

Due to my androgenous uniform that day I was addressed as miss, maam, young lady etc, anything but what I was - a young man. I hated it however I wasn't about to embarass myself or the guest by correcting the guests and therefore kept quiet as did the girls on my shift who thought it was great fun to call me Joanne in front of the guests.

After about a week I guess I accepted the new uniform, however Mrs Benson did request one more change to my uniform and said I was to wear a vest or camisole under the blouse as she said the blouse was thin and showed to much of my skin when I didn't wear the jacket (which was only in the back office anyway and never on the desk). when i told my mum of the new uniform rule she went out and bought me some plain polyester camisoles (or vests as she called them!). I wore one the next day under my blouse and whilst busy typing in the back office one of the girls Nicola pinged one of my thin camisole straps through the blouse - how embarrassing!

Life and work continued and more and more I was being addressed as a young lady. When I think back now I believe I was probably becoming more effeminate in my manner which didn't help guests in their assumptions of my gender. This was probably due to me working with a women all day.

One morning whilst at work, a couple of the girls and Mrs Benson were discussing what they were going to do for an annual national charity day and came up with various dares for each other. They then turned to me and advised me that my dare was to find out what it was like to wear a skirt and heels all day and that if I was to agree to the dare we would raise a lot of money for the children's charity.

After much protesting I finally gave in and agreed that I would wear the full uniform of a female receptionist the following week.

Two days before the dreaded day of the dare and as I was leaving work Mrs Benson gave me the uniform that I was to wear. She told me that the girls had chipped in with underwear and other accessories and informed me that when I returned to work for my next shift that I was to portray the perfect example of a young female receptionist.

As I walked home that day with two carrier bags of clothes and other bits and bobs I questioned why I had given into Mrs Benson and the girls and dreaded what was ahead of me.

The next day I had a day off work and my mum who had excitedely entered into the spirit of the dare woke me early and told me that she had planned a day of pampering for me.

I will never forget that day. That morning my mum waxed my legs and underarms, plucked my eyebrows or as my mum put it "just tidied them a little", painted my toe nails with a plum coloured nail varnish.

After mums best efforts to turn me into her daughter we both headed off to a ladies hairdressers which was thankfully ten miles or so away from where we lived. I was really worried that we would bump into someone I knew.

Mum had spoken to the hairdresser Jean, a few days before on the phone and advised her that I was feming up for a charity dare. Jean greeted us and said she thought it was great what I was doing for charity and asked whether she could she have free reign to try a few things and eventually after a lot of convincing I stupidly said yes.

When I left the salon that day, my mousy brown hair had been highlighted with light blonde streaks and had been permed and I now sporting a curly mop of hair. When looking in the mirror I thought I looked more like a woman of 25 rather than the 18 year old boy that I was.

Despite my protests Mum had given Jean permission to pierce my ears twice in each ear. A small gold stud and a small purple shiny stone now adorned my painful earlobes.

Jean had further plucked my eyebrows also saying she was "just tidying them up". Jean also gave me a facial which I must admit felt really good.

As mum drove home I slumped down in the passenger seat and thought how weird I now felt and had felt sitting in a ladies hairdressers under a hairdryer with my hair in tight curlers and the setting lotion working its magic.

After a fairly sleepness night I walked to work in the uniform I was told to wear. My mum had awoken me an hour earlier than my usual time and helped me dress as she jokingly put it "her daughter the hotel receptionist"

Mum handed me some really feminine cream satin lacy knickers which I put on in the bathroom. When exiting the bathroom she helped me put on a matching cream underwired satin lace trimmed bra which she padded out with water filled baloons to give me breasts. She then helped me into a cream satin full slip that had lace at the bodice and at the hem.

She adjusted the straps of the bra and slip before showing me how to put on some sheer navy 10 denier tights. I have to admit that I did likethe feel of the tights against my waxed legs. Mum then had me put on pair of patent navy 2.5" high court shoes and as I stood up on the heels I wobbled and nearly fell. Under mums guidance I pretty soon got used to the weird way the shoes made me stand and walk.

Mum slid the navy knee length pencil skirt up to my waist and buttoned it up. I soon found out that despite a small kick pleat in the back of the skirt my movement that day would be quite restricted as the heels and tight skirt would limit me to small steps.
I then put on the uniform blouse that I had become accustomed too however this time mum tied the red floppy bow around my neck.

After tucking the blouse in the skirt and exclaiming how pretty I looked, mum tightened a navy belt around my skirts waist and helped me on with the uniform jacket. It was then that I noticed that my name badge now read "Joanne Moore, Junior Receptionist"

As I gingerly walked to work that early November morning and despite wearing a heavy knee length winter wool coat, I could feel the fierce winter wind blowing up my tight skirt. I could feel the bra and slip straps on my shoulders and felt totally unaccustomed to having breasts which darted my coat out.

Before I left for work I noticed that when I looked in the full length wall mirror that I could see the outline of the lace of my bra and slip through the blouse. I could make out the outline of the bra and slip straps on my shoulders and the bra outline through the back of my blouse when I looked over my shoulder in the mirror.

My heavily laquered curled hair was piled high on my head and was held with hair pins and butterfly clips. Mum had arranged two small strands of hair to fall down each of my cheeks. My face had been made up that morning at by Julie, a friend from work. Julie also worked on reception and knew what Mrs Benson would expect in the way of grooming. Julie gave me the works - concealer, powder, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, blusher, lipstick/lipgloss and then she finally doused me in her perfume pronouncing me done. I couldn't agree more - I was done for.

Mum was quite emotional as she waved me and Julie off to work. I shivered with nerves as well as the cold as Julie tried to reassure me everything would be ok.

As we walked to work both mine and Julie's heels clicking on the pavement, I felt really nervous to the point where I thought I was going to be sick.

When she set eyes on me Mrs Benson made one comment "oh thats so much better Joanne, this is how I expect my girls to look". I smiled but inside I felt like awful"

Mrs Benson gushed over my appearnace telling me that she loved the smell of my perfume scent. She then told me to get to work finishing off the guest’s bills and said that when I had completed that task that I was to assist on reception where Julie and another receptionist Heather were coping with the morning rush.

As Mrs Benson walked off she made the comment “you know Joanne it would be such a waste for you to return to your sloppy ways, I will have to see what I can do!”

I turned to the PC puzzled by her comments and sat down remembering to smooth my skirt under me as my mother and Julie has shown me earlier in the day. The lacy hem of my slip peeked out from my skirt that had risen above my hosed kneess and no matter how I pulled my skirt down the hem of the slip seemed to work its way into view. After a few minutes fidgetting I gave up trying to hide the hem of the slip it and thought to myself why am I worrying, no one will see it.

As I sat working away I felt very draughty under the vents of the A/C unit and noticed that the draught was slightly blowing the bow on my blouse and a big chill swept through me. I thought to myself “how am I going to get through today, I’m cold and my feet are already killing me in these blasted heels."

Chapter 2

As I typed away I was recalled the events of the day so far.

How I felt when I walked in the staff entrance to the hotel and clocked in.

How my hands were clammy and shaking.

How my heels I was wearing echoed on the concrete floor as I walked up the corridor to the reception back office.

How Julie had taken my hand and squeezed it to reassure me that everything would be fine. However my stomach told me otherwise!

How Mrs Benson had told me to “ hang up your handbag and coat in your locker dear. Lets get you to work my girl”

As I continued preparing the guests bills and doing general admin duties and as I typed away on the keyboard I couldn’t escape from my manicured pink varnished nails that shouted "girl" to me.

Likewise the restraints of the clothes I wore did not allow me to forget how I was dressed. How did women bare these clothes everyday. My legs were still frozen as the thin tights did little to keep them warm from the cold wind when I had walked to work. The bra I wore was already cutting into my shoulders and the weight of the bra made me droop a little. The hem of the slip and skirt tickled my hosed knees and the bow of the blouse around my neck slightly restricted my view of the keyboard when I looked down.

I felt mixed emotions, both terribly nervous of the day to come but also somehow excited in a way.

After about 30 minutes of working Mrs Benson came over to ask how I was doing and asked me to stand up so that she could inspect her “new girl” as she put it. I stood up and smoothed down my skirt as Julie had shown me. Mrs Benson thought that small girly gesture was so cute.

I felt under great scrutiny as Mrs Benson asked me to twirl. As I did so on my heels I nearly fell and Mrs Benson had to grab my arm.

“Steady you silly girl” she laughed. “Please take off your jacket Joanne” she asked and I did as requested.

Its funny but when I took the jacket off, I felt even more girlie with the thin blouse only slightly hiding the bra and camisole of the slip I was wearing underneath.

“I love the lace on your slip Joanne” Mrs Benson commented.

I squirmed and replied “Thank you Mrs Benson”.

Mrs Benson told me that she loved the way I had done my hair. I tried to explain that Jean and mum had done it however she wasn't listening as she rattled on that my hair was now looking so much better than the bun I usually wore. She joked that the bun made me look like an old spinster.

She inspected my hair pins and clips to see how my hair was held up and told me that I would need to ensure that during the day no stray hairs fell out as she advised that I like all of the other girls was to be immaculate whilst on reception.

“On reception?” I exclaimed “but I thought I was going to stay in the office all day”.

Mrs Benson laughed and said that as I had gone to so much effort to look pretty that I should take my go on reception, however before doing so she explained a few things that I should ensure I complied with whilst dressed as Joanne, her pretty new receptionist. They were

1. Ensure that the strands of hair either side of my face never fall into my eyes and that the rest of my hair be properly held up. She exclaimed that I was to check my hair after each toilet break and use hairspray if required.

2. Ensure that my make up was perfect and that my lip gloss be replaced after eating or drinking anything throughout the day

3. That the bow on my blouse be tied perfectly and that all of the buttons on my blouse be done up and the blouse be perfectly tucked in my skirt at all times

4. That I take care not to snag my hose

5. That I didn’t allow the hem of my slip to be seen under my skirt

6. And finally and above everything else she told me that I was to ensure that I didn’t give any of the guests the impression that I was anything other than Joanne the Junior Receptionist.

Chapter 3

On finishing the admin work I put my jacket back on and pulled the collar of my blouse over the navy collar of the jacket as my mum had shown me earlier that day.

Before leaving the back office I checked myself in the full length mirror where Mrs Benson’s motto hung “Guests first impressions count”. I looked at my reflection in the mirror and fussed with imaginary wrinkles in my jacket and skirt.

“Oh well here goes” I thought as I joined Heather and Julie behind reception.

“Hi Joanne, could you see to the next guest please” Heather asked without even blinking an eyelid whilst appraising me up and down. She gave me a big smile and thoughtfully squeezed my hand as I approached the desk

I swallowed hard and approached a middle aged businessman looking to check out. I felt sick to my stomach as I turned to him.

He gave me a big smile and I could feel myself blush. I dealt with him and many more customers without the world ending that morning and gradually my confidence grew.

An elderly man who was a regular business customer arrived around midday and Heather asked me to escort him to his suite.
Guests who had booked suites were always shown to their rooms.

Whilst in the lift I could feel him looking me up and down as we made small talk about his journey. I felt very vulnerable and somewhat scared to be alone with this guy. We chatted more and he said

“I bet a pretty girl like you has plenty of boyfriends”

I could feel myself blush and with doe eyes I looked down at the floor and honestly replied

“ not at the moment”.

I felt so relieved to leave him and return to reception and the security of the desk. Julie grabbed me by the arm when I got back and said

“Come on lunch time Joe”

We walked towards the staff canteen, but made a small detour to the ladies staff toilet

“I can’t go in there” I gasped as I realised I hadn’t been to the toilet since leaving home that day

“where do you want to go Joe, in the men’s” Julie replied

“But Julie!” I protested as Julie interlinked my arm and dragged me in to the ladies.

Thankfully we were the only ones in there as Julie instructed me to

“Use the cubicle Joe love” Suddenly I felt a need to have a pee.

I locked the cubicle door behind me and Julie did likewise in the adjoining cubicle

“How’s your first day been so far Joanne” she tittered.

I didn’t answer and went about my business. The horror of what I had to go through to simply pass water. My skirt and slip bunched up about my waist, my knickers and tights about my knees. I could see Julie’s shoes under the partition of the cubicle and thought if I can see her shoes she can also see mine, so I had better not let my tights and knickers drop any further.

Upon finishing my oblutions I pulled my knickers and tights back up and smoothed down the skirt and blouse, then grabbed under my skirt and as my mum had showed me pulled down the tails of my blouse through the waistband of the skirt. Putting my jacket back on, I joined Julie in front of the mirror

“Come on your make up needs touching up” Julie exclaimed.

For the next 5 minutes she redid my lipgloss, adjusted a few pins fussing with my hair before spraying it with loads of hairspray. As a finishing touch she applied more mascara to my already long lashes and as she did so she said "my eyelashes were one of my best features and my shapely legs were the other".

I looked down at my thin legs in the sheer navy hose and smiled

“perhaps you’re right” Julie thought this was funny and playfully slapped my skirted bum.

I reddened up for probably the tenth time that day as she laughed

“You know youmake a lovely girl Joe, you really fit the uniform and have fitted in fantastically well this morning”

I didn’t know what to say other than “thanks I guess”

We walked into the staff canteen and I can recall being gawked at by most of the men in there. One of them a tall immaculate man approached and I could see that it was the restaurant manager Mr Lawson.

“Hello ladies, whose your friend Julie?” he asked whilst examining me

“This is Joanne, Mr Lawson” Julie replied “You have met her before”

Mr Lawson looked closely and after a few seconds the penny dropped “ have I - Joe is that you?”

“Afraid so Mr Lawson” I replied.

For the few 5 minutes, Julie and I explained how I came to be in my predicament.

“Absolutely splendid show you look great. I would never have guessed if you hadn't been with Julie. You two are like shadows, always together” he exclaimed “ you should come and work for me in the restaurant Joanne”

“I don’t think so Mr Lawson, this is a one time thing for charity" I explained whilst squirming.

“Come on Joe be a sport. Work for me tomorrow afternoon, I am short for a wedding breakfast and you know the ropes”

I couldn’t argue with that as I had often helped out as a waiter when Mr Lawson was short of staff and the additional money certainly helped.

“I don’t think so Mr Lawson”

“Why not are you already working” he asked

“No I’m not working, I am going to get my hair cut”

“No Joanne I insist that you and Julie help out tomorrow, I will pay you both double pay”

Mr Lawson was insistent and never gave up and with Julie wanting to earn double pay she started on me as well. After a minute or so I was worn down and begrudgingly was forced into saying yes

“Splendid its Julie and Joanne I want though, I have enough waiters”

No I thought this is getting worse, I can’t do it. Before I could speak Julie told Mr Lawson that we would help out and that Joanne would turn up.

“What did you do that for” You know this is only for today!” I challenged Julie

“Joe he is willing to pay us double time, come on do it for me, I have helped you out today” she pleaded

Julie unless you haven't noticed I’m a boy, I can’t do this”

“Yes you can, I will sort out something for you to wear”

My stomach sunk as I thought of what the waitresses wore. A tight black above the knee pencil skirt, a white long sleeved blouse with big black floppy bow at the neck, fitted black waistcoat, together with black tights and black shoes.

The most hideous part of the uniform however was the white starched lacy apron that tied at the waist and the white lacy hair cap

“Julie, my mum won’t like this, what shall I tell her?” I asked

“Don’t worry about your mother” she replied “ I think she likes having Joanne around”

Chapter 4

When we got back from lunch, Sophie who was now on reception told me that my mum had telephoned and asked her to pass on the message that she would pick me up from work to go out driving.

Mum was teaching me how to drive and every other day we would go out for an hour or so. I thought I was becoming quiet a good and proficient driver.

I was really pleased at this news, as I didn’t fancy walking home alone in the dark in heels and a skirt. Julie was going out with her boyfriend straight from work and therefore I would have had to walk home alone and this filled me with dread.

The rest of the afternoon was pretty uneventful and I slowly became accustomed to the clothes I wore, however the heels still did make my feet ache.

Just before my finishing time Mrs Benson came over to me and told me how pleased she was with my work that day

“ You know Joanne you make such a pretty girl and you fit in so well with all of the other girls”

Other girls?

I felt myself go red as I replied “Thank you Mrs Benson, however on Sunday I will be back to wearing my usual uniform if that’s ok with you”

Mrs Benson considered my response before finally telling me “I would like you to reconsider this Joanne, you look smarter on reception as a young lady and I think the guests appreciate you more.

"Oh I have something for you” she exclaimed.

With this she handed me a shopping bag. I must have looked puzzled as she spoke

“ Mr Lawson has advised me that my little Junior Receptionist has agreed to help him out waiting on tables at the wedding reception tomorrow. That is very kind of you Joanne. Mr Lawson has asked me to pass this uniform on to you. I look forward to seeing you in it young lady!”

I felt myself blush “ It’s just to help him out tomorrow as Julie was keen to earn some overtime”

“Of course Joanne, of course” she replied “ See you tomorrow sweetie”

I turned on my heels and as quickly as you can in a tight skirt and heels walked away feeling very awkward and considered my conversation with Mrs Benson.

My mind was all over the place as I pulled my wool coat around me feeling the cold as I waited outside the staff entrance for mum to pick me up

“ Hi Joe” she said as I got in the car “ You should smooth your skirt under you when getting into a car love”.

I looked down at the skirt and saw that it had bunched up around my thighs showing an expanse of lacy slip and the tops of my navy tights.

“Oh sorry mum” I meekly smiled and shivered as I pulled my skirt down and wrapped my mid thigh woolen girls coat around me.

“Anyway you look lovely" She said smiling as she leaned across and kissed me on the cheek.

This was not something she normally did "How was your day sweetheart?”

“Embarrassing mum, I feel so silly in this outfit” I replied whilst playing with the bow of my blouse.

“ You shouldn’t baby, you look so beautiful, your navy suit really brings out the colour of your eyes. Your make up and hair still look great. Have you been touching them up”

“ Julie has helped me all day Mum”

“Oh that's really kind of her. She is a lovely girl" she smiled What’s in the bag Joe” she asked having spotted the bag that I had thrown on the back seat of the car

“ Oh don’t ask mum , its really embarrassing” I replied and started telling her the whole story

“Oh that’s so cute, so I have my little Joanne for another 24 hours” she cooed.

“MUM!”

“don't mum me. I can’t help it you look so lovely in your work uniform Joe. Anyway what harm is there in being Joanne for another day? I will help you darling”

“Thanks mum” I replied as a lump came to my throat

“Anyway lets swap places, you can drive. I have a little treat for you”.

“Mum” I whined “ I can’t drive like this" I gestured to my court shoes

“ Why not Joanne, lots of women drive in heels”

I groaned and to keep the peace we swapped places. Before getting in the car I took off my coat and jacket and put them on the back seat. When getting back into the car I remembered to get in more gracefully and when seated pulled my skirt down do that it nearly reached my knees however it rode up showing of the lacy hem of my cream slip.

Pulling my seatbelt on I felt the belt as it tightened across my blouse and my false breasts were accentuated by the tight belt.

My driving lesson that night went really well. It was obviously the first time I had driven in high heels and a tight skirt. Mum said it was the best I had ever driven in the two months she had been giving me lessons and jokingly said

"perhaps you should wear a skirt and heels when taking your test baby"

As I concentrated and Mum gave directions I wondered where we were heading

“ Mum we are heading quite a way from home, should I turn back now?” I asked.

“No, I have a treat for you Joe” she exclaimed

My stomach churned as I thought where were we off too with me dressed as I was.

After another few minutes of driving we turned up at the shopping mall and it was then that mum told me where we were going “

I have booked you in for a photographic shoot Jo. It will allow me to remember how sweet you look today”

“Mother! I can’t I mean”

“Jo, what’s the problem you look so sweet. Please let your old mum have some photos to remember her Joanne”

After protesting for what seemed like an age I gave up arguing and as instructed parked the car in the multi-storey car park.

As I got out of the car and slipped my jacket and coat back on I thought of how much colder and windier it had got as the wind blew at my skirt and nylon encased legs in the miserable multi storey car park

I cringed at the sound of my heels on the marble floor as we walked through the malls to the photographic studio and how unbelievably relieved I was when we escaped the throng of early Christmas shoppers into the shop.

As we entered we were greeted by a middle aged lady “Evening ladies, Can I help you?”

I looked down at the ground as my mum spoke

“ Yes hi my name is Claire Moore and this is my daughter Joanne. I called you earlier regarding Joanne having some photos taken. It was her first day at work today and we want some photos of her in her new uniform to remember the occasion”

“Oh yes I remember. What a lovely thought” the lady remarked

She turned to me “ What is it you do Joanne?"

“Erm, I’m a junior receptionist at a hotel”

“Oh how wonderful. How was your first day? Were you nervous?”

“Yes very” I honestly replied

“Aww how sweet. I bet you are happy you have now got the first day out of the way" she exclaimed "Anyway shall we get started ladies?”

We stepped through to the rear of the shop where the lady introduced herself as Diane and told us that she would be taking my photos and also preparing me for the shoot.

“Preparing me for the shoot” I questioned

“Oh nothing drastic Joanne. I am just going to touch up your make up and hair to show off your best features. You are already very pretty; you won't need much at all”

She showed me to a stool, which was in front of a large mirror, and I climbed up on to it which was not an easy task with a tight skirt and heels and in doing so my skirt rode up showing my lacy slip for the umpteenth time that day. Diane then proceeded to put a black nylon cape over me, which she tied at the back

“Just something to keep the make up off your pretty uniform babe” she reassured me.

For the next 20 minutes she created an older sultrier look for me and made my eyes up with blues, greys and pinks

“You have such pretty big eyes Joanne your long lashes are amazing. I bet the boys are queuing up for you. Have you got a boyfriend”?

I blushed, thinking that’s the second time someone has asked me that today

“ No she hasn’t Diane” My mum answered for me “She has always been a very shy girl and a bit of a loner. She would like to meet someone, however she hasn’t had the opportunity to do so as yet”.

“Oh that’s such a shame”, Diane replied whilst fussing with my hair and spraying it with hairspray “ I know my son Adam would love to be seen out with such a pretty young lady as you. Perhaps I should introduce you to him. How old are you Joanne, my Adam’s 19?”

Before I could reply my mum again replied for me “ Jo’s just turned 18 Diane. I bet she would love to meet Adam wouldn't you love" she winked at me.

Mum continued, "Joanne is so shy. I can’t ever see her getting a boyfriend, much less a husband. I think it's going to be some before I become a grandma ” my mum joked.

I gave my mum a stare pleading for her to shut up.

Diane was really nice and touched my hand as she said, " plenty of time for men love and you are still so young. Don't go rushing into babies just yet Joanne. Dirty nappies and breast feeding aren't all there cracked up be"

I knew I blushed as mum and Diane continued discussing weddings, childbirth and stretch marks. Ugh!

Diane told me all about her Adam and although he sounded nice, I obviously had no interest in meeting him.

After Diane had finished her prep work we walked through to the studio where she continued fussing with me arranging my skirt, jacket and blouse and had me sit and stand in various poses, some cute, some businesslike and some which she laughingly called sexy.

After an hour or so we were finished and Diane advised mum that the photos would be ready before end of business on the Monday. She advised that normally she would have them ready within 24 hours, however she had a family wedding to go to the next day where she would be the photographer.

“Oh how lovely” Mum remarked asking “ whose wedding is it”?

“It’s my Nieces wedding, she’s getting married at St Olaves church and then she is having her reception at the Cygnet Hotel just down the road from there”

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Diane was going to be attending a wedding at the hotel where I worked and where I would be waitressing.

“Oh what a coincidence, Joanne is serving as a waitress at the reception to earn some extra money aren’t you Joanne?”

“Yes mother, although there may be more than one wedding on tomorrow at the hotel” I replied giving her one of my looks can kill stares.

“Oh Joanne that’s wonderful, my Adam is going to at the wedding, I will introduce you to him” Diane excitingly replied.

“Thanks Diane. I think I will be busy working though”.

“Rubbish Jo, you can take a couple of minutes to say hello to Diane and her Adam” mum protested

“Yes hopefully mother, if I can of course I will”, I answered thinking that a boy my age would possibly be looking me up and down with thoughts on his mind that only a 19 year old boy would have. I also thought about how I would be dressed in the ultra feminine waitress uniform. I suddenly felt very nervous.

Mum paid Diane and after hugs we left. My face was still made up with smoky eyes and Mum turned to me and said

“ You know Joanne, I like having you around. Let’s do a spot of shopping"

For the next hour or so we walked in and out of stores and whilst I was still very nervous of being read, I felt a special bond with my mother that I had never felt before. I gradually relaxed knowing that everyone I had met that day had accepted me as Joanne and I actually liked how people treated me.

I drove home under mum’s instruction and when I got home I went straight up to my room and took off all of the clothes I was wearing. What a relief it was to take off the shoes, tights and bra.

I also took off the two gold bracelets, pearl necklace and 2 rings mum had made me wear that morning, leaving only my stud earrings in my ears.

I dressed in some jogging pants and a tee shirt and then went down to see mum whom was preparing a late dinner.

“Mum can you tell me how to get the make up off” I asked

“ Of course baby, let’s go up to the bathroom”

Mum said it was a great shame to take of the make up as I looked so sweet however she showed me how to take it off with remover and cotton wool pads. She then told me to jump in the shower and to wash and condition my hair.

“When you have finished, whilst the dinner is cooking I will do your hair” mum exclaimed

“Do my hair? What do you mean mum?” I asked

“You have had a permanent Joe, if we don’t roll your hair tonight, it will be all frizzy in the morning. Unfortunately you will have to sleep with curlers in”

“Mum, can’t we just do it in the morning?”

No dear there won’t be time. Don’t be a baby, jump in the shower like a good girl” mum joked

“Mum” I grimaced

I did as I was told and washed the day away. When I got out of the shower my pants, jogging pants and tee were missing and had been replaced with a pair of purple satin knickers and a satin knee length short sleeved purple nightie edged in intricate lace. Also hanging up was a matching billowy dressing gown.

“Mum” I shouted

Mum came in as I wrapped myself in a big towel and told me I should stay in character as she said it would be good practice for the following day.

I really was too tired to argue so without much protest put on the nightclothes. Mum then applied moisturiser to my face, arms and legs and told me I that I should be doing this anyway to keep my skin soft. I grimaced at this, but was really too tired to argue.

Once I had the nightie and gown on mum sat me at her vanity mirror and with my hair still damp rolled my hair in what seemed like 50 or so small curlers. They were very tightly clipped to my scalp and then mum tied a hairnet to my head and sat me under her stand up hairdryer and set the dryer timer.

“Sit under here darling until dinners ready. You do want to look your best tomorrow don’t you Joanne when you meet Adam. You are so pretty. I can’t see how he wouldn’t fall for you”

I groaned and let out a rather loud “MOTHER” !

End of chapter 4

up
317 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good start!

It looks like you posted several chapters earlier, are you just reposting them, or are they rewritten? Anyway I look forward to reading more.

nomad

Thanks Nomad

I really appreciate your comment. Yes I am reposting with edits and additional recollections and will be posting further chapters shortly

Lucy

Sorry

I don't see it as gentle persuasion. I see it as everyone around joe trying to make him into what they want him to be and not caring a damn what he thinks. He's clearly not enjoying it so far and is not showing any signs of being a tg. Does no one even care what Joe wants. I so wish he would just tell them all off because so far he's not showing any signs of liking this at all. I'm afraid that he's going to end up transitioning because other people want him to as well, not because he truely feels like a woman. I mean, is there ANY point so far that suggest he even somewhat enjoys this?

I really wish he would have never given in to any of their demands and told them all off, especially the mother. Does she not give a damn about her sons happiness? Does she only care about him having a job? I'm sorry, but this story made me kinda mad. I don't want to read a story were someone is going to go through transition against their will.

All He Had To Say Was, "No."

littlerocksilver's picture

Sometimes the conflict between the conscious and unconscious takes outside encouragement to overcome. It's a bit early to tell; however, I don't see any brain washing, psychotropic drugs, or hypnotism going on. Steve is an indecisive young person who needs encouragement to find what's in his or her best interest; however, all that could change as the story progresses. I could be totally wrong; however, the opening paragraph tends to make me think otherwise.

Portia

Sorry

Sorry? It should be me that is sorry for making you so mad! My life turned out fine thanks so don't you make yourself anxious. My motto in life is "if you have nothing good to say then don't say anything at all". Enjoy the other stories on here and don't get yourself worked up over mine JW

Thanks Portia

Thanks Portia. Glad you are enjoying

Well written

Jamie Lee's picture

I could tell this was a well written story because like jwilliams, I became angry as I read what Joe was required to do in order to keep the receptionist job.

Joe could not say no to either Mrs. Bensen or his mom because he wasn't raised to exert himself if he didn't like the wishes of others. And how uncaring would a person appear, especially at work, if they didn't want to help in raising funds for any children's charity? Plus, since Mrs. Bensen already expressed her personal opinion as to Joe's future as a hotel receptionist, she may not have taken it kindly had he refused to dress for the dare.

Preteens should be made to try different activities in order to give them exposure, and maybe find their interests. But once teen years are reached, especially the upper teen years, encouragements should be given in the form of suggestions which allow the teen to make their own choices. Even if the choices lead to non-life threatening life learning lessons.

Others have feelings too.

I could swear I've seen this

Brooke Erickson's picture

I could swear I've seen this story before... Still interesting though.

BTW, is there a reason the entire story is in italics?

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

Great story

Please do not let the negative comments sway you. This is a fiction site and a author can write whatever story she wants however she chooses. A lot of people expect that any story will fit into their requirements, whatever they may be. Every person writing sees things differently and that is what makes this site so special. I loved your story, felt like it was told in a loving and respectful way. Please write more and do not listen to the naysayers. They have their opinion, and they are entitled to it, but they can't speak for the rest of us. Continue please.
Hugs
Francesca

- Formerly Turnabout Girl

Thank you

Thank you for your kind comments Francesca. It is so much easier to write when you are inspired by peoples kind words rather than others negative comments

Lucy x

Please re-post it!

I much enjoyed reading the first part of your story Mum's Encouragement. Please re-post the rest of it.

I intend to

Thanks Penelope

I loved this story when it

I loved this story when it was first posted, and was sad to see it discontinued. Please this time... continue on with it. You have a very nice writing style.

Brenda many thanks

I will repost and add new chapters in time

I believe I have read this

I believe I have read this story previously, however it is still very much an excellent one.

Thanks Janice

Really glad you are enjoying. The first few chapters and future ones have had quite a few changes so won't exactly read as before

big closet deja vue

I am also sure i read this before, such a nice story. I think Jo just needs further encouragement to be what he obviously is. I look forward to more

It's not deja vue

I did post a number of chapters previously however took them down due to negative feedback and I think the majority not enjoying. I hope I am better received this time

Like the others

Christina H's picture

Like the others I am certain that I have read this before then it disappeared - please keep on with it it's an excellent story and very well written which it must be as for some reason it has upset a few readers.

Never mind the slightly negative comments sometimes you never know what you want until you see it.

Hugs
Christina

More Please

I too recall reading this previously. I enjoyed it and eagerly look forward to the story continuing. Thank You for posting. A very nice story indeed!

Hugs,
Janet

Janet many thanks

for your lovely comments

Loved This First Time Around

joannebarbarella's picture

I was very disappointed when you abandoned the story before due to negative comments. Readers should either give you a chance to develop the plotline, or if they don't like it, don't read it. Very simple, but apparently beyond the wit of some of those who commented.

Thank you Joanne

I really appreciate your kind words and obviously agree with your sentiments

Annoyance?

Podracer's picture

Hey Lucy, like some others I found Joe's treatment irksome but please don't take it as criticism - it's just the way I was feeling for the character, and my empathy for him is the result of the writing or I wouldn't have felt it. I do the same when seeing someone in a film or television program heading or being pushed into something wrong or silly and they can't see it or don't show enough spine to resist.
Of course the ogress Benson is harassing the lad most unreasonably, and Mum is rolling over all of his objections, though the latter don't seem too determined now, do they? Comes over to me as more teen whining than serious refusals. Anyway, lets hope "Joanne" gets some fun out of the plot.

"Reach for the sun."

I've read that you got some negative comments....

... well, shame on them; as you said - if you don't like it, go read something else. Writers put so much effort into their work - be it for themselves or for the rest of us - they deserve... ENCOURAGEMENT.......

I don't see any forcing here, no violence, there is persuasion, yes, and sometimes, impossible-to-refuse situations.... But what the hell.... A young man can always say "'m not feeling well Mom, Ill pass on work today...." Fact is, deep down, despite the protestations, I'm convinced there's enjoyment in there! Good luck... now I've read ch. 1-4, I'm going straight on to ch. 5!
Give Adam a hard time and go after one of the girlies, I'd suggest! ..... Julie sounds lovely! xx

I've read that you got some negative comments....

... well, shame on them; as you said - if you don't like it, go read something else. Writers put so much effort into their work - be it for themselves or for the rest of us - they deserve... ENCOURAGEMENT.......

I don't see any forcing here, no violence, there is persuasion, yes, and sometimes, impossible-to-refuse situations.... But what the hell.... A young man can always say "'m not feeling well Mom, Ill pass on work today...." Fact is, deep down, despite the protestations, I'm convinced there's enjoyment in there! Good luck... now I've read ch. 1-4, I'm going straight on to ch. 5!
Give Adam a hard time and go after one of the girlies, I'd suggest! ..... Julie sounds lovely! xx

Mum's Encouragement Chapter One My First Job By Lucy J

This it what I call a wonderful dream coming true, and must say this was simply a joy and great pleasurable read, (My ambition in life would be for filled if this could only happen to me), especially the permanent :) and being in the public eye all dolled up, I must say I was glued to what was happening, If only I was encouraged when I was younger. ;) As had more on top then and no beard
(Can anyone suggest good Hair Salon and Cross dressing story as this is some thing I love reading, and building up the courage to do myself)
Teresa28 xx

Delightful Story

Jill Johnson's picture

I am reading it for the second time. I also read the comments again with some chagrin. I for one completely understand the gentle and firm persuasion used by Jo's manageress and mother to prod him out of his dull and apparently aimless life into the social life of a young girl. Although there is no backstory to explain Jo's first 18 years or why he would accept the terms of his employment and allow himself to be manipulated by stronger women, it is clear that this is a path of discovery. I must assume that they see something in him that needs to be nurtured and released.

I have never understood the unkind negativity of many reviewers on this site. There are many ways to transition. Not all of us feel cursed with our situation or feel the need to complete it by undergoing SRS. That seems to be a strong underlying theme in the negative reviews, "Be a real woman, don't embarrass us real women with your silly TG/CD stories". How inconsiderate. How unaccepting of someone who sees the world in a different light. Many of us dream of having acceptance and friendship and encouragement. I personally am content to embrace and encourage my feminine side. It's enough for me. I could have taken a different path. I made choices. Jo is making choices. Good luck Lucy Jane.

Thanks for a lovely story, even more fun second time through.
Jill