Julina of Blackstone - 048 - Ideas Above Her Station

Printer-friendly version

Can one good day lead on to another?

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles, Book 2

by Julia Phillips

048 – Ideas Above Her Station


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
048 – Ideas Above Her Station

“Maker! That is a good one. Well done young Kord!”

We were all laughing with him, not at him, you will understand. Well just a little bit maybe, but it was fond laughter, laughter at something he had said.

He certainly understood that, but he still blushed and tried to hide his embarrassment.

We were seated around the breakfast table, the first time we were all together for what seemed like years. Normally, 'twas I who was away, I and/or Papa. Sometimes Kords too, but rarely. This time we were all there, Papa, Swayga, who was soon to be Mama, and myself were the adults, the other five were still minors, much to Kords' annoyance.

Swayga had produced a new way of using some of our supplies and invented a really tasty combination that everyone liked – a lot. We were laughing because young Kord had described it as being “Ever so scrumpily umptious.”

This was supposed to be my fourth day of rest from the Salon, but rest only from the Salon. I still had my lessons to do, and I still tried to ride dear Trumpa for a bell or two each day, if it was at all possible.

But riding was out for me for THOSE few days.

But the Tai Chi wasn't – so we did that as a family, which made it somehow nicer than normal.

It was a lovely start to the day, a day that got even better when there was a knock on the door and in walked Molly.

She looked pale and strained, and sat down immediately we found her a chair, but it was wonderful to see her up and about. I deem she had attempted a distance too far for her first real walk in weeks.

We all made a fuss of her, and she bathed in the attention. She also had a little extra breakfast that day.

But she was my best friend, and I could tell that something was troubling her.

Papa went off to do his work, which today would take him down to Bezlet and an overnight there. The rest of us, except Molly of course, made short work of tidying and washing the breakfast things.

Swayga went off with the three younger ones to supervise them through a bell of lessons, which left we three older ones and Molly. Molly suggested that we should all remove to my room, where we could gain a certain degree of extra privacy. She looked slightly askance at Kissa but I signalled to her with a facial expression that it would be alright.

When we were all settled, we left it up to Molly to make the start, which I feel, looking back on it, probably made her slightly more uncomfortable.

But nevertheless, the conversation got under way.

“'Lina, I think you have done magnificently well in setting up the Salon, and in doing all those other things, and organising the trip to Tranidor and so on, not least gaining effective assistance with my little problem I used to have ...” again a sideways look at Kissa. “... You have given me, us, the 'Frightful Four' as we called ourselves, but it should really be the 'Frightful Five' ...”she looked fondly over at the elder of my sisters as she said that last, “... as dear Kords has joined in so delightfully! Anyway, you have given us a valuable start to our adulthood. We have learnt to earn coin and look after it and so on, and now we are richer than we ever thought we would be. We can read, write and number better than most around, and we have seen a lot more than them too.”

She hesitated.

For a length of time that almost became uncomfortable.

“But …?” I finally prompted.

She laughed. “You know me too well, dearest 'Lina. There is indeed a 'but' coming. … BUT the work in the Salon is not something that attracts me. I have done it, I freely confess, as something that we four started together, worked together, and built together – under your guidance and leadership. But I have no affinity for it, no desire to learn how to cook to your high standards. My strengths are more in my mind than in my hands and … well not to put too fine a point on it ... Berdon and Bettayla have persuaded me to join them as a leading member of their writing team. I receive a portion of their take at each performance.

“There is no way that I shall ever make as much coin as I COULD at the Salon, but that job means I must needs be on my feet for long bells at a time, something that I cannot do right now, nor shall I be able to do that for several weeks according to the Healers. Even coming here today has proven to be almost too much for me.

“And with the Prince and Princess arriving soon, we in the playacting troupe have plans for a very special performance. A performance which is to be the first such performance ever in the Community Hall. I am busy writing scenes for that, bringing in stories and references to all the things that have been and are being developed. And making gentle fun of most of those involved.”

She was grinning a little at that; I'm sure because of some of the jokes they had planned.

However, I could see that tears were not far behind, and that she was finding this awkward.

She gulped, took a deep breath and then rushed into it: “I therefore request that you release me from my obligations to the Salon. I can earn coin with B and B even when I am lying down, and we all get a little from the Exclusivity Licence on those hanging doors, so I shall not be poor. You have also been kind enough to give us four a little of your coin from the Wenders, telling us that we helped you develop that idea. Why I have more coin now than my poor Papa ever had in his entire life, counted altogether.

“Dearest 'Lina, you have been so good to us, to me, and I both love and thank you for it all, but I shall be an adult next week, and I find I must needs search for my own path through this life. I shall always and forever be your dearest friend, but I feel I must decline to work in the Salon any longer.”

Of course, we were all sniffing back tears as this went on. I ask you, what choice did I have?

“Methinks there were about a hand of 'buts' in that speech, not just the one!” I started with a little joke, at which she grinned. “Molly, my dear, my lovely friend, my confidante, I shall never stay in your way. You have my blessing to join in with B and B. We shall miss you in the Salon. Might I perchance retain the possibility of asking for your help there, in some unlikely emergency event? I swear I will try everything not to call you in. And of course, won't insist. You must be the judge if it is convenient or not.”

I could see how grateful she was by the look on her face as I said that. I realised at that moment just how much of a strain this had been for her.

“Of course, my dear. I won't leave you in any awkward situation.” One tear fell down her cheek, and her lips trembled ever so slightly. She impatiently brushed the tear away with the back of her hand.

“Now that we have that out of the way, I would add a little something here, a little piece of advice, if I might be permitted?”

She nodded her acceptance, still sniffing, still with gratitude in her eyes.

“To be a better writer, you must needs see the world some more, that you might have more experiences than those offered by a dead-end town at the very farthest depths of our nation. So you should take what opportunities present themselves to learn more of what is happening elsewhere. How other people feel and think. What they find funny, and what they find sad.

“And, if and when such an opportunity comes around, then consider taking our Gyth with you – she is desperate to get away too, and I have been racking my brains to find some way for her to do that. Perchance the two of you shall find occasions to go together?”

“Oh 'Lina, you are so good to us. 'Tis a magnificent idea.” She sniffle-laughed. “But mayhap I shall be unable to persuade her to return again. She shall be an adult next month, as you know.”

“That's true, but only true eventually. I deem she shall stay here as long as her mother lives. As regards the Salon, I can always find someone else to join the team there. I am proud of the reputation that we have now achieved, and I could not have done it without any of you helping. You too Kords. We already have a new woman there, that Konna. She is as yet untrained fully ...” I broke off as I caught sight of shadows crossing both Molly's and Kords' faces. “What?”

The two looked at each other and grimaced slightly. Kords shook her head, crossed her arms across her chest and almost glared at Molly, showing clearly that she refused to say anything. In this way, it was left to Molly.

“Er... 'Lina, that woman is not good. She is just freshly there, and I have never met her, but Kelly and Gyth both tell me she is trouble.”

Kords nodded her agreement and Kissa looked on wide-eyed as the mood in the room changed swiftly.

I was also wide-eyed, but not because of the mood.

Why should THEY know that and I not?

“Do you have anything specific? She is, as I said, yet to be fully trained ...”

Kords interrupted me swiftly: “No, no! Nothing specific. It's more of a feeling we get. Her attitude if you like, not that any of us actually LIKE it,” she said with a sort of sneer.

Kords had unwrapped her refusal, now the subject had been broached. She had jumped into the conversation quite animatedly: “Whenever you are there, you go into your normal busy, busy, busy Julina mode, and you concentrate on your tasks. You don't really see what's going on around you when you do that. This Konna rolls her eyes at you behind her back, and undermines your authority at every given opportunity. She is forever changing little things here and there, meaning that the tasks are becoming ever so slightly more difficult, no longer the routines you hammered into us at the start. Then she criticises us for not doing things properly. Nothing is ever her fault and yet good things are all her doing. The working atmosphere is very tense and no longer fun!”

That was a long speech for Kords, and therefore all the more impressive. I was impressed by that almost more than I was by her animated rendition of it.

“I shall have a word with her tomorrow then. I have stuff to do this afternoon, so will deal with her in the morning. Will tonight's service be affected?”

“No, 'Lina. We shall manage. But you really must do something soon.”

“Very well, Kords. I shall in the morning. I was going to make her do a shift in the kitchens soon, anyway. See how she likes not getting any coin because she isn't with the customers. Of course, in the end we shall share it, as we always do, but I want her to squirm a bit and learn why we share, after the fuss she made about it the other day.”

“That's a good idea! Maybe it might work.”

… … ...

My lessons that day were up in the Miners' Hall. They went very well and I was beginning to think that this was going to be one of those specially good days. It was a while since I had had one.

After the lessons, I walked over to the Community Hall, where Mousa let me have a few nibbles of my own from the food she was preparing.

We had originally arranged to meet in order to discuss catering, but she changed that when she introduced me to the foreman of the workers, Master Simman. He was recently made a Master of Carpentry (I believe that was how he stated it) and Bezan had assigned him to be in charge of the entire Community Hall project.

“Mistress Julina. 'Tis an honour to meet you. Master Bezan has spoken frequently about you. When I learnt from Mistress Mousa that you were coming here, I dared suggest that maybe you could look the place over and see if you have any suggestions? I understand that you have had some interaction with the Assembly as well as a closer relationship with the schooling. And they both take place sometimes in a room that is effectively yours.”

“Master Simman. It is likewise an honour to meet the Project Leader for the Community Hall.”

I smiled as a stray thought flashed into my head. “Might you be kind enough to move a stride to your left, and half a stride backwards?”

Both of them were very puzzled, but I was grinning and they knew there was something extra that I would soon reveal. Master Simman duly moved as requested.

With a laugh, I continued: “You are now, by my calculations, standing in my bed!” I couldn't hold back the giggles any longer, and dissolved.

They both looked shocked, and then I saw the realisation dawn on Mousa's face.

“Why Master Simman, I believe I have solved this riddle. 'Lina's old house used to stand here, so you must be positioned where her bed used to be!”

Fortunately, Master Simman found it amusing rather than go all stuffy and fuddy-duddy on me, and we all forged at that heartbeat the start of a lasting friendship.

It took a little while for the laughing to die down.

“Now you two, show me around, and ask your questions or state your problems, or whatever is required for me to gain information to be able to give ideas.”

And so the two of them gave me a refresher tour, mainly to see if I could come up with an idea, a solution to their problem, which I finally understood after being shown around. Precisely and clearly, Master Simman provided all that I should need, and it wasn't long before my mind was thrashing through all the possibilities of which it was capable.

“... and, as you can see, we have several of the pre-made wall and roof pieces, as well as several ready-made windows and doors, so we can swiftly add or expand rooms here on the upstairs level, should her Ladyship elect to overnight here. We even have another staircase ready, since we originally planned a further upper floor above this level. I have sent a semaphore down to Master Yarling who shall inform us of her decisions with at least a week's notice. I deem we could just about add a further floor within a week, albeit necessarily of a smaller configuration. As you saw downstairs, the curves of the walls are really just a series of straight window units, offset at an angle to create the image of a curve; but up here, we don't imagine having curved walls, just having straight walls, windowed on the three sides away from the hill.”

My mind was racing as I searched for a solution to the problems.

But it's unfair of me not to tell you what those problems were, so here goes!

The room(s) downstairs were now capable of being used as the schoolroom and there was talk of Master Magser moving his lessons there. The Assembly were also considering moving their discussions into the Community Hall.

And thereby came the problems.

Was there storage sufficient for all the things that had been accumulated in the schoolrooms and the Assembly meetings? Which is why Master Simman wanted to talk with me,as I was probably the only person who knew.

Storage cabinets and the like would normally be against the walls but that would block out the light and the views on all sides except the East, where the mountainside rose steeply. Already, a fair proportion of the east side wall was used – the rows of seating and the stage elements were stacked there and they took up a lot of space.

“Yes,” I breathed, still thinking rapidly. “I understand your problems more fully now. And I confess regretfully that there is little that occurs to me immediately. You COULD always box in the space under the stairs to the upper floor, but that would be scarce large enough for all that we have stacked in the cabinets in my Salon. Hmm, let me think on it. I deem I must needs ponder this in the back of my head. I shall come back to you. Probably tomorrow, maybe the day after. I happen to know the Assembly enjoy the luxury of having their records and files ready to hand in their meeting room, so 'twould be poor if they had to keep walking a fair distance just to check some record or so.

“But that room down there is far too large for them. And 'twould spoil the versatility down there if they were to have a permanent space set aside … Hmmm. A tricky situation.”

We had by then reached the top of the stairs down, so we descended still chatting.

“How much space does the schooling require for all its stuff? Is it less than that of the Assembly?”

“A good thought, Master. I deem that the schooling stuff might well fit into the area under the stairs.”

We pondered that for a while, until I hesitantly started again: “So that leaves 'just' the Assembly stuff. But that word 'just' might convey a false image. They have HUGE quantities of folders, files and ledgers. But nothing big or tall or anything like that.”

“Good to know. Is any of that school stuff, equipment, whatever large? How should such a cabinet with such a sloping roof be best loaded?”

We discussed it all, going back and forth, and even sideways it seemed. Talking until I felt we were turning blue in the face; but nothing came to us as regards a solution to the Assembly room and its stuff that required storage.

So we had to part at that point. He scurried off to do whatever project leaders have to do.

Mousa and I could finally have our culinary discussions.

And a further nibble or two!

Amongst various topics, I suggested a small addition to one of her sauces, so we had – of course – to try that and I was most gratified she found it worthwhile to incorporate that there and then.

… … …

After all that, I was running a little behind my self-imposed schedule, so I decided to skip the visit I had been going to make to Uncle's and I went straight to the Claw, to make a fuss of the animals. When I got there, I went first to the kitchens to get a pocketful of nibbles, and then I crossed diagonally to the stabling, waving to Parry as I passed through the courtyard. He waved back, but did not give me any notice that we needed to talk or anything like that, so I carried on alone.

There was a stir amongst the beasts as they recognised me, and they all clamoured for attention – or at least for a nibble! What a greedy lot!

I chatted briefly with some of those workers there who had now become friends, and picked up some little gossip from them. I was strangely happy to learn that Jafferkin was due in today or tomorrow. The burst of happiness surprised me, because I hadn't noticed feeling like that before, but I realised that I hadn't seen him for a good long while now.

I suddenly felt a bit guilty as I had promised him a meal in the Salon, with Epp's and Em's approval, and the tacit acceptance from the Captain, and I had yet to make that promise good. Jaffy was reluctant because he felt he was too scruffy to be seen in our place, but we all persuaded him that it would not be a problem.

As I was leaving the Claw, I saw some people sitting in what was Sookie's downstairs office, apparently arguing. This tripped something in my mind, but again it was something that wouldn't come immediately.

I made my way slowly up the Main Street to Pomma's, ostensibly to arrange our morning rides as soon as I could get back into the saddle, but really and truly we were looking forward to just having a good old chat.

A bell or more later, I left Pomma's home, but not her. I was delighted to still be in her company and we walked together up to the Yarling shaft, to see where they had indeed broken through.

Although it was still very raw, the hole was impressive. Just below it, above the ugly scar of the spillage that had tumbled down there, I could see the markings for where they were going to run the channels. It took me a little while but I eventually worked out that they had also marked out areas for a cistern, at least what I assumed would be a mini-cistern, at the head of the valley, and another just above the Miners' Village. Pomma was suitably impressed as I explained it to her and then I spent a while describing the inside of that 'Yarling' shaft and the vast lake discovered along there.

She was fascinated by my descriptions of the rafts and the 'dock' and so on. She sighed: “Oh how I wish I could see that myself!”

“I shall ask Master Bezan if we might pay a visit. I'm sure he would let me bring a companion. He seems quite grateful to me at the moment.”

“O Julina! I should like that immensely.”

“He is very busy these days with several projects, but he could probably arrange something. I will see to it, as soon as I may.”

That reminded me that there was also some work going on down at the Bridge, so I determined to go down there and see for myself. Pomma agreed to accompany me, so we swung on down there, arm in arm, whistling a little tune as we went.

The tune died on our lips quite quickly once we got there. The smells in the air there were really rather … er ... rich.

By the time we had inspected these workings, I was feeling quite weary and so I parted from Pomma uphill from the Bridge. I used East Street to get me home, albeit walking in the other direction to the traffic. I let myself in, and the younger ones were pleased to see me, gratifyingly.

I went to the kitchen and Swayga was busy with the evening meal, but nodded towards the bathroom, where I made ready to have a relaxing bath and to enjoy a rare evening with my family. It was wonderful.

Once we were all at table, only two of us were absent, Papa and Kords; Kords wasn't there because she was busy in the Salon, but the rest of us had a most pleasant evening. Even the boys were behaving well.

I retired to my bed early, pleased that my Call was coming to an end, and glad that the day had been quite so pleasant. The wake period in the two-sleep night was when I scribed the notes for the events that were going on around that time, including these of course.

… … ...

I awoke quite late that next day. I remember I was looking forward to having a day as good as the one I had just previously enjoyed.

However, despite it being the day that Banker Schild arrived and we saw his smile for the first time, that day turned into one of the worst I had ever had.

Kords started my bad mood off by stomping into where I was eating my breakfast and glowering at me.

I raised an eyebrow in query, and she went into what was suspiciously close to being a tirade, declaring flatly that: “I shall never set foot in that Salon again while that woman is there! She is mad, evil, mean and vindictive. She thinks she is the boss. Julina ...” this was the thing that rang the most alarms in my head, as she usually called me 'Lina, “... she has changed the whole thing too much. She … she … she ...”

Kords couldn't finish her sentence; she just rushed off in tears and refused to open her room door when Swayga and I got there. The two of us looked at each other, shrugged and went back to the dining table. Neither knew how to deal with this obvious crisis on Kords' part. We hoped that we could help later, when she had calmed down a little. I needed facts not unformed sentences and vague descriptions. That didn't stop me being angry with Konna, mind you. She was going to be asked, no, told to leave as soon as I found her.

I cut short my breakfast and went off to Town, hastening along to find out what had happened, in detail. I went first to where Konna had told us she lived, but was told that she was 'at her new work'. I rushed down to Em's to have it out with her.

And met Master Blandel whom I soon discovered was also on the way to Em's.

I was taken aback when he greeted me formally and thanked me! Then he confused me further with an explanation that actually explained very little, just introduced more questions.

“Ah, my urchin must have found you so thank you for coming so swiftly to our Assembly meeting. We have a visitor who arrived last evening, and you are one of the few up here who have any experience with him and his so-called 'services', so we would like you to report to us on these 'Bank' things.”

“Er ... Master, I didn't ...”

“You have no experience? But we were sure you did!”

“Well, yes I do actually, but ...”

“Excellent! Excellent! I shall look forward to hearing what you have to say. Ah! Here are some of the others. Good morrow Mistress Lendra, Graber, Selden.”

Again the greetings afforded me no chance at any clarification. So it was that I was ushered into the Salon in a state of some shock.

Only to get an even greater shock.

The tables had not been cleared after last night nor had the room been set up for the day.

My temper was in danger of flaring out of control, when Kassama came in and looked as shocked as I.

“Kassama! How could this happen. And looking at some of these dirty plates, what is this food on them? It's nothing that should be here!”

“Julina, that woman Konna changed everything yesterday. You must needs know as soon as possible, which is why I sent an urchin for you first thing after I rose. I will tell you all about it as we clear up this mess.”

She turned to Master Jepp, recently arrived and said: “Master, Your Honour, I must apologise. Pray give Mistress Julina and I a quarter of a bell to clear this up and set up the room and I shall make myself scarce again. I'm sorry, I was out of the house last evening, visiting a friend and knew nothing about this until just now. None of those staying here have yet asked to break their fast.”

“Very well, Mistresses. We shall be grateful, but,” he said as he whirled on me, “I confess to being disappointed, Mistress Julina!”

I was about to reply angrily, but then I saw it from his point of view, and I bit my tongue. I would be attending at least a part of the Assembly meeting and could perchance use that opportunity to put the record straight.

I went to the kitchen to get the rolling plate server trolley thingy and my temperature rose again. The place was a shambles. I eventually found the trolley thing outside, on its side and bent. I had no more time to waste so I grabbed two of our largest trays and rushed back into the dining room. Kassama had sensibly started clearing the farther tables first, piling everything upon the nearer tables. I set to with an urgency, clearing those tables as much and as fast as I could, to leave Kassama room to place yet more there.

I worked up a sweat I can tell you, but we had the room cleared away in less than two hands of moments. All the dirty stuff was stacked onto something, whatever, in the chaotic kitchen, and Kassama and I swept the Dining Room quickly and pushed the tables together into the daytime configuration.

Kassama then quickly patted most of the dust out of my day dress, and ushered me back into the Dining Room, before calling the other Assembly members back in from where they were gathered in the courtyard.

We were just taking our places when the door burst open and Swayga swept in.

“There you are Julina! You have had no less than four urchins come to the house asking for you and I knew not where you were. Is everything alright?”

“Swayga, yes. I'm sorry. I wasn't aware of these urchins. I just happened to bump into Master Blandel in the street on my way to find that Konna woman.”

I looked round the room and caught Master Jepp's eye.

“But FOUR urchins?”

“Well two were from me,” confirmed Master Jepp. “This meeting was a hasty decision, so I sent one the low way and one the high way to your house.”

“And one from me, as I wasn't sure that Jepp had sent any,” explained Master Blandel.

“One was from Mistress Kassama, the lad told me.”

“Ah! That clears THAT up then. In NOT a single bit! But never no mind. Now is not the time for riddles. Thank you Swayga, it was most kind of you to rush here. I shall see you later; please for now get back to the children. We are already delayed with this meeting.”

She looked round for the first time at all the people gathered there.

Then she paled for it was only then that she realised this was an Assembly meeting. She went all embarrassed and giggly as she bobbed far too many curtseys and retreated out of the door in some confusion, babbling her farewells.

But the feeling I had, which was probably due in part to my embarrassment at the state of the room when we arrived, was one of general disapproval – all of it directed at me.

My temper flared again, and it was SO hard to control it.

… … ...

“Basically, the banking system takes a lot of the work out of things. And, theoretically, I don't need a strongbox buried somewhere. Take as an example the coin I get from the Wenders down in Tranidor. Master Tanon's company work out how much they owe me, and they say to the Bank take this much from our ledger and put it in Mistress Julina's ledger. This is what they call a 'bestowance'. No actual money changes hands, but the accounting shows what has happened. My ledger value goes up by the same amount that Master Tanon's goes down. Their order to the Bank means that their amount of coin is reduced, according to the written entries and mine is increased by that amount, again purely as is written down. I don't actually need to be there. And, I reiterate, no actual coin is involved.

“When I want to buy something, then I have two choices. I either pay coin for it or I make my own bestowance. If I want coin, then I would either go to my strongbox in its secret place ...” there were more nods and grunts from round the table at this point, “... and take the coin out, or I go to my Bank and get the coin from there. They check in their records that I have indeed at least that amount in my account, and let me have the coin, reducing my written amount in my ledger. What I actually do is slightly different but I shall come to that in a while; essentially I have a strongbox AND a Bank ledger as they call it.

“The bestowance only works, of course, if the person I am buying from themselves has a ledger. Because most of my money is down in Tranidor, I have a separate arrangement with others here in Town, and we do our own private bestowances. Em has a ledger down in Tranidor too, and uses the coin from the Salon to pay her bills here in town, and to give us workers coin for our services. So I basically live on that, and my coin down in Tranidor is just sitting in that ledger, growing slightly each month as more gets paid in.

“I believe that Epp – er ... Mistress Megrozen, that is – has a similar arrangement. I know that she goes once a month to the Bank and gets a large amount of coin, which she then uses throughout the month. Thus she visits the Bank just the once and the amount of her coins that she has on her is far less than the total amount of coin that she owns. So any robber is not going to make her coinless in one foul move.

“All in all, I find the system excellent.”

“Thank you, Mistress Julina. Your words have made it clear that this system appears to be an advantage to many of us up here. You have confirmed much of what others have said. Now, might I request of you to ascend to the first floor and find Master Schild, who is in the room overlooking Main Street in the south corner, and ask him to come down to join us?”

“But of course!”

I rose and hurried up the stairs, trying to ignore the crashing and banging coming from the kitchen, as Kassama alone tried to cope with all the mess.

I knocked on the appropriate door and then stood back a half-stride as was customary. A deep voice told me to wait a heartbeat or two. Which I did, and then the door opened.

“Good morning. You are?”

“My name is Julina, sir. And I believe you to be Master Schild?”

“Indeed so. Mistress Julina, huh? I have heard of you, from Master Moshan. Why ...”

He was interrupted by a ferocious shouting and screaming coming from downstairs. I recognised both Kassama's and Konna's voices. My instincts were to fly down there and deal with the woman, but I could not ignore my duty to this man, so I beckoned him to follow me and led him into the Dining Room, where the others were showing signs of consternation. On the way, I ignored any questions he had about the major row going on in another part of the house.

I went in and asked permission to go and sort the problem out.

Well, I didn't exactly ask permission, if you understand what I mean.

I was striding for the door when it was flung open and Konna stormed in, her face twisted into a ferocious and angry scowl. I was nearest her as she came in, so was blocking her view of most of the others. She craned her neck here and there to see past me.

“What are you all doing in my Dining Room? Who are you anyway? A bunch of old men I don't know … I might have known it would be YOU, Julina! Get them out immediately! And then come and see me in the kitchens, I have made some changes to the way this place was run and I will tell you what you have to do now.”

“Why you ….”

Mistress Lendra grasped my arms tightly and whispered in my ear: “You must NOT lose your temper, is that clear? You must NOT.”

The surprise of her unheard approach helped distract me. I fought her for a little while, and then the white hot rage left me, draining from my head down to my feet and into the floorboards. I was shaking, and fell backwards against her, into a healing hug.

Kassama came in, after being loudly called for by the woman holding me. She entered with a bruise livid on her cheek. Mistress Lendra asked her to fetch some warm water in a mug, so she went out again, and ran into another barrage of shouting. I later learnt that she sensibly ignored it all, just did her task and left again.

“Fedren, might I suggest that you send for Mistress Vittima. I believe that she shall be required shortly,” said a wise Master Bezan, who had indeed grasped what was going on faster than anyone else.

“Call?” whispered Lendra in my other ear.

I nodded.

“Stay there … No, better, sit here and don't move!”

She rummaged in her carry bag and found a small twist of something. By then Kassama was back and Lendra poured the contents of the twist into the warm water, stirring it about with her finger.

“Here, drink!”

I swallowed it all as quickly as I could, for I knew that some of her potions could be quite bitter, and the only way to deal with those was to not linger. This one though was quite pleasant for a change.

There was a lot of talking going on around me of which I was not fully aware, my brain trying to make sense of all that had happened. I was aware though, with some part of my brain, that Kassama seemed to be being asked many questions. At the same time, apologies were being made to Master Schild, trying to reassure him that these goings-on were not a regular occurrence.

Master Mesulkin looked almost at the end of his ability to cope. Even I could see that he was being driven back into his scared and retiring behaviour. Master Sinidar took on the job of reassuring him.

Finally, Master Jepp had had enough.

“Please be seated all. This matter needs dealing with immediately and then maybe we can get back to running this Town properly. Ah! Good morrow Mistress Vittima. Fedren, thank you for fetching her. And good morrow Master Suril. Bezan, I admire the way you summed all this up so quickly, and took the appropriate measures.

“Now Mistress Vittima, this is a full meeting of the Assembly and there is a woman disrupting it. She is in the kitchens here. Her name is …?” He turned to look at me.

“Konna,” said both Kassama and I at the same time.

“Please arrest this Mistress Konna, and inform her that she shall appear now before the Assembly.”

“Very well, Master Jepp! Is she likely to come quietly?”

“That is doubtful!”

“Suril, would you then accompany me please? Master Fedren should perhaps stay here in case there is to be a formal trial or something. Kassama, would you please also accompany us, to provide a female presence?”

“That,” said Lendra, “would not be a good idea. I suspect that Mistress Konna has struck Mistress Kassama, and so she would not be a good independent witness. I shall come with you. Certainly Mistress Julina here cannot.”

And so it was that the three of them went into the kitchen and, amongst a great uproar, they dragged Konna into the Dining Room. The woman was shouting that they had no right, that she had done nothing wrong and so on and so forth. All very loudly.

Suril looked at Fedren and received the tiniest of nods in reply, whereupon he leant into Konna's ears and said something. She shut up immediately, looking shocked and very pale. She raised her hand to her chest and looked around almost frantically.

“Thank you, Master Suril,” said Master Jepp warmly before turning his now cold eyes on the woman. “Mistress Konna, allow me to introduce you to the Assembly that runs this town. We are the authorities here in Blackstone and we object to the way you have interrupted our meeting. I would strongly suggest that you now speak only when you are spoken to. Any further interruption shall result in severe consequences for yourself. Is that understood?”

Konna looked thunderstruck, and for the first time that I could see, began to look worried.

“Is that understood, Mistress? We await your reply. You may do so now, but simply a yes or no, no more! For the third time, do you understand?”

She focussed more fully upon Master Jepp.

“Yes, sir!”

“Now please explain yourself, and why these unfortunate events have taken place. Start with how you came to be here.”

“If it pleases, Your Honour, Mistress Michet approached one of the women's group up in the Miners' Hall, the quilters I believe, and asked there for some help to run her kitchens here. She ...”

“Hold! Can anyone confirm this? Anyone here, maybe? Gerber? I am getting a little weary of people claiming that departed members of the community have done or said things, making claims that cannot be confirmed since that person has travelled down to the Capital.”

“I cannot definitely confirm that, Jepp. But 'tis easy enough to check on later.”

“Very well, Gerber, please do just that. Mistress Konna, we will accept your word at the moment, but let me inform you that should you be uncovered in any lie, then your punishment shall be severe. Pray continue your tale.”

She swallowed and cleared her throat: “Well, I volunteered, as I could do with some extra coin, like. I have cooked for my man for a hand of hands of years, so I know right well how to feed a person. I were introduced to Kassama, Mistress Michet's servant there and briefly shown around. There were nuffing what I couldn't do, as far as I c'ld see – indeed I soon saw it were far more complicated than needs be.

“And then I met t'others what worked there. I seed immediately as how they was all children, so I understood that Mistress Michet wanted me to manage these young un's. That Julina there, she obviously had ideas above 'er station so I knewed I had to take 'er down a peg or two.”

Lendra's hand squeezed my shoulder, and I sat back down again, but once more my blood was rushing. I was not even aware of surging to my feet.

Master Jepp looked across at me and encouraged me with his eyes.

I suddenly knew what his tactic was, having seen it before, and that made me feel much better. He saw the realisation in my face and nodded again, giving me a surge of hope and indeed pleasure.

Lendra felt the change in my body, and lifted her hand. I sat back down as I nodded back to Master Jepp, and he turned once more to Konna.

“Mistress Konna. It seems to me that you made many assumptions. Dangerous assumptions. Mistress Julina, for your information, is an adult, not a child, and any simple enquiry by yourself could have discovered that she is a regular advisor to this body who control the town you live in. Why did you think she needed, how did you put it, taking down a peg or two?”

“Well, she were acting like this was 'er kitchen and started telling me what to do. She 'as some cooking talent I confess, but she were bein' lady muck to all the others. I knowed immediately them others needed some 'elp an' protection from this child as I thought 'er to be, so I were doin' them all favours, like. She showed me where many things were and so on, but then she told me to work in the Dining Room rather than in the kitchen.

“I were right shocked, I can tell you. Who was this little chit to tell me what to do? However, I needed to find as much as I c'ld to be able to lead this place proper like. So I done it.

“I were right shocked AGAIN when I realised that them what comes in were offered a choice to eat. How stupid is that? Them folk were coming in to eat, not to have to make decisions. Just wanted something hot to fill the belly. Thems don't want to have to think about it and so on.

“In these last few days, I done learned all about this place. Ol' Missy Julina weren't there, due to come back termorrer, so I decided to make the changes wot were needed before she come back, and let her join in wiv new stuff. So last night I put a stop to all that. I just served one meal to any as came. They 'ad a really young 'un in the kitchen who were doin' stuff making strange sauces and the like, so I sent 'er packin' after a while. No need for that, and no need for the expense of payin' 'er.

“In the Dining Room, there were a few diners what complained, but I soon put paid to their nonsense. There's one there,” she continued, pointing at Master Schild, “you can ask him, he'll tell you the truth. I refused to pander to his strange ways and stopped him in his tracks. Just like I did with that scruffy one what smelled like a wagoneer. Looked next to death's door to me. Turfed 'im out on 'is ear, I can tell you.”

Jepp held up his hand to stop Konna's flow of words, then looked a question at Kassama.

“Goodman Jafferkin, Master. He was specially invited by Mistress Julina.”

There was a gasp from many around, myself included. Jaffy is one of our Town's fixtures, really, and held in quiet regard by most of us old-established residents.

My anger flared again, but, this time, I felt it as an icy determination. This woman was so going to regret her actions, and at the very least her reputation was going to be trampled, as much as I could possibly make it.

“Mistress Konna, pray continue.” Jepp's voice had taken on that silky tone that told me he was going to trap her in some way if he could. The others round the table all started looking at her like feltris look at their prey.

There was somehow a heightened awareness.

“Those what work there kept askin' as to how many more there were to feed, and when I went back to tell them that there were no more, they all turned to me and told me to clean it all up myself. They walked out on me. No stamina like, kids of today. So I bin about today askin' others what I know to come an 'elp me run this place. A few'll be 'ere in a matter of moments.”

I couldn't, just could NOT keep quiet at that point. She looked shocked when I hissed at her: “Then they shall be sent away. At least I shall learn their identities to be sure they are refused in future!”

She was about to retort when Master Jepp coughed meaningfully and brought her attention back to himself: “I see. No, that's not right. Correction! WE see. Thank you for your tale, Mistress Konna. Have you anything more to add?”

“So's you can sees as 'ow I done nuffing wrong, like. Just made sure all knows their place and how it will be run in the future. Can't be having no children in the kitchens nor serving the customers. They ain't got the steel in 'em to say no when 'tis needed. I'll get this place running proper like before you can says 'Jiffy' like.”

By now, even Master Schild was looking at the woman with a fascinated disdain, and I took a little pleasure that she was totally unaware of it, unaware of all the disapproval pouring towards her from all in the room.

“Mistress Konna, I must now ask you to remain silent unless you are asked a question. Is that clear?”

“Yes, sir!”

“Good! So the first question I have is: Can you read and write?”

“Not exactly, sir, I bin meaning ...”

“Hold! Just a simple yes or no should suffice. Next question: do you know what this room is?”

“The Dining Room?”

“That is correct, as far as it goes.” He stared closely at her as his voice took on some steel. “Had you decided to take up the offer we have made to all residents, you would have known that this room is also a school room, a school room in which that 'child' Mistress Julina teaches people to read and write. Yes, SHE teaches.

“This room is also our Assembly room. We have many of our documents stored here and for that reason, we have to approve anyone who has access to this room. You shall be denied entrance to this room after this hearing as you do NOT meet our approval.

“Both these extra functions have been suggested to us by Mistress Julina until such time as the facilities up at the new Community Hall can be made available to us. Perchance you should ask yourself why Mistress Julia should have the ability to allocate the uses of these rooms.

“No, don't try to strain yourself - I shall tell you.

“Mistress Michet is also a member of this Assembly, and it is a matter of official record that, at one earlier Assembly meeting, the control of these rooms was officially handed over to Mistress Julina.”

Her face dropped in shock and confusion, and, I regret to report, I took a little pleasure in seeing a note of fear in her features.

“For that reason, there has been an agreement in place that this room shall be left every night in a condition for others to be able to use it first thing on the following morning. You have claimed here that this is YOUR dining room, but you have not kept up with the existing agreements concerning this room.”

“But I didn't know this, Your Honour! How was I …?”

“There is obviously a lot that you do not know, Mistress. However, that hasn't stopped you from making changes that were not yours to make. So that is no excuse, Mistress. Simple research could have revealed what you required.

“So that is one at least of your points gainsaid already,” his voice took on an extra steely note.

“This is not, has not been, and never shall be YOUR Dining Room. I happen to know that you were hired as a temporary help in the running of this place, NOT as the manager of it.

“I myself have had the pleasure of dining here several times, and the food quality has always been excellent. Indeed, this Salon has established a wide-spread reputation. The normal practice has always been that diners order their meals two or three days in advance, so when they arrive they do already know what they shall be served. And the kitchens know in advance what to cook.

“But no, you have just trodden roughshod over all these practices and routines.

“And for your further information, again this is something that you could have checked, the young one you sent home is Julina's sister, and the others are her personal friends. They have been a team since they were young children.”

She was by now shocked into slack-jawed silence, her eyes darting everywhere as more and more facts were fed to her.

“Now, time for another simple question. Who developed this facility as a restaurant? Do you know?”

We could all see her confidence seep back a little, as she found an easy question to answer: “Why Mistress Michet, of course.”

“Wrong! The menus, recipes, facilities and routines all belong to the woman who is the head of this restaurant. Mistress Julina again.”

“That child? Why she ...”

“You would do well to stay silent right now, Mistress! You have already been informed that Mistress Julina has achieved her majority. I will hear no further references to her being a minor.”

She was aware enough to shut her mouth then.

“Master Schild. Could you please repeat here what you said to me when you arrived last e'en? About this restaurant?”

“Indeed, I shall do so with delight. I told you I was looking forward to a meal in what has been described as the best restaurant in all of North Palarand.”

“And what said you this morning about it?”

He looked directly at Mistress Konna as he replied: “These were my words this morn: 'I understand not the reputation of this place. The service woman was rude, the meal offered was worse than I could cook myself, it was half cold and tasteless while the rubbery sauce was congealed. There was no offer of any wine or ale, just a chipped jug of lukewarm water banged down onto the table. I have eaten better food in a waystation by the highway.' You were very shocked when I said that.”

“Thank you, Master Schild.”

Jepp looked back once more at Konna who was displaying all the signs of severe offence at the criticism of her food and her attitude, but displaying no regrets for her actions whatsoever.

“So you see, Mistress Konna, you have managed in less than one week to ruin the reputation of this establishment, alienated several clients, failed to ensure that the agreed routines have been adhered to and demoralised the entire staff who until now have worked exceptionally well. You were here just to work as directed by Mistress Julina.

“Directed by Mistress Julina, please note; it is HER who should be telling YOU what to do.” He shook his head demonstrably. “You actually had a chance to join in with one of the more successful teams here in Blackstone, but I doubt that you shall have that chance any more.

“You have disrupted an Assembly meeting, and it appears that you have struck another person. What was your justification for striking Mistress Kassama?”

“Well … I … I mean … she is just a servant...” She seemed to ignore the hissing in of breath from all seated round the table. “... she had no right to stop me throwing all that rubbish in the kitchen away. She started to wrestle me and was unfortunately struck by a ladle in the tussle.”

“That is not the exact truth, Masters and Mistresses. She deliberately struck me with the ladle. It was in no way accidental,” burst out a Kassama who was also incensed by what this woman was saying and had been doing.

I leapt to my feet. Nothing on all Anmar could have held me down.

I burst out: “Kassama? Are you injured?”

She shook her head at me as she replied: “Not badly, fortunately.”

That I was relieved is to put it most mildly. I let her know before I continued: “And, what does she mean, 'rubbish'?”

She looked back sadly at me: “Sauces, stocks, equipment like the plate trolley, two days supply of Foti. She has even thrown away most of our Irris beans. ”

There was a hiss of breath at this last, broken by Konna saying: “That foreign muck! No place for it in my kitchen.”

“How much did you have, Mistresses?”

Kassama and I looked at each other and made some hand-gestures.

I replied: “About one quarter of a wagoneer's sack.”

Kassama nodded her agreement.

“Do you know, Mistress Konna, what the cost is of Irris Beans?”

“No idea. Never needed such rubbish.”

“Well that amount cost Mistress Julina, or whoever purchased it, about what you would earn in half a year! And you shall have to make good that loss, and more.”

We could all see the blood drain from her face.

Kassama continued: “There are other things now broken or missing, including two complete sets of the plates and a lot of the cutlery, especially the special forks that are only available here for purchase by the diners. A hand of them have gone. She has also taken the coin pot!”

I found myself growling aloud, in a most threatening manner, but not capable of saying a word to HER.

“I jes wanted to show me friends the standards of my new job!”

Everyone ignored her statement, which made her even more uncomfortable.

“Mistress Julina, would you please go and check on all your stocks. Mistress Konna, you are hereby to be arrested by the Town's Watch for theft and destruction. Take her away please, Mistress Vittima, to await trial as and when such can be arranged.”

“No! I have done nuffing wrong. I were jus' clearing fings up for my new plans! I fought I was in charge.”

“Mistress, you have done EVERYTHING wrong.

“But stealing the girls' coin is too much. And then stealing the special forks too. Unacceptable. You have devalued every single one that has been sold. They are a mark of being special, and YOU have stolen some and ruined that speciality.

“Fedren, could you send someone round to her home and either lock it up or confiscate everything that's in it, so Mistress Julina can identify anything that properly belongs here.”

“But I still have it, the coin pot. I were just … just … making sure it were safe. An' I just wanted to show me friends the forks. I was goin' ter bring 'em back. I swear it! Them are all still there!”

I found my iciest voice, which also made her extremely uncomfortable, much to my regrettable pleasure: “That coin pot has always been perfectly safe ever since we started, Konna. There was no need to do that. It contained all the appreciation coin left by the diners so far this entire month. You have been employed here for less than a week. And certainly you had no authority for taking that away. I had to reprimand you the other day when you refused to add your coin to the communal pot, because you somehow thought you were better than all the others and you should keep what the diners left you on the tables. You gave not a thought to those who were working in the kitchens to provide you with something to serve the customers. You made it very clear that you felt that coin should be yours and yours alone. You want other people to work for you, but you do not want to reward them.

“As for the forks, I made sure I told you how exclusive they were. What I failed to mention is that we have a strict control over their numbers and they are counted every morning and evening. And every time anyone else uses this room.

“The ones you took therefore must have been from last night.”

I shook my head pityingly.

“You took valuables, but you did not take the time to tidy up, nor did you take any time to discover what routines were in place. Not the most intelligent of thieves, I deem.”

All the others looked at her and they too shook their heads.

I marched out to the kitchen and there I again shook my head, this time at the destruction of so much of our preparatory work. Kassama had been nearly right in her lists. Maybe a few more of the herbs and spices, and some of the pots and pans and so on were no longer there, but Kassama had the gist of it all.

I returned to the Assembly room and reported my findings. I further mentioned that all the diners from the night before needed to be recompensed, and that all diners for tonight would have to be put off. There was no way we could provide dinners, not at least to the standards I insisted upon. We would have to be busy this afternoon making new stocks and sauces and the like, just to be ready for the next day.

I sighed.

This was supposed to be one of my rest days.

Master Jepp asked me to account for all the extra costs this episode had added. Losses of food, equipment and the recompensing of diners. He promised me that, somehow or another, Konna would be paying it all back.

While I was out of the room, several things had happened: the others had watched the protesting Konna being dragged off, Suril had been despatched to her home, and several of the others had drawn up lists of potential helpers they knew about whom I could train. They made the suggestion that maybe someone totally untrained might be better. That person could that way learn a trade and have skills for the rest of their life.

We agreed to do it that way, it was actually something that excited me – or would have done if I had not been so annoyed and depressed.

The Guildmasters there suggested that maybe we start a new Guild.

But then we all remembered that the Guilds had been changed on the first day of the year, to become the Royal Palarand Institute of Engineers.

They said they would look into it. But they deemed the new venture should be best run along traditional Guild lines.

Kassama said she would send urchins to the girls, including Kords, for them to come in and discuss where we went from here, in terms of getting back on track.

Master Jepp said: “Add something in for loss of earnings and extra staff payments too.”

… … …

At long last, the Assembly meeting reconvened and we got back to discussing banking.

As I mentioned earlier, it took some effort but we did eventually manage to get Master Schild to smile, and Mistress Lendra, myself, and both Kassama, who was serving drinks, along with Gyth were all affected by seeing it.

Master Schild then declared himself to be impressed with the Assembly room having all the papers and ledgers and so on so readily to hand: “It makes things so much easier. Never have I had my references so close. There is much to say for it. I had no idea of it when I sat in here last night for my so-called meal.”

“Yes, indeed it does. And this was basically another of Julina's ideas. When her Ladyship was up here, she used what is now Mistress Sukhana's office down at the Claw ...”

Bing!

That idea shot into my head.

The one that had been threatening for a little while.

I worked things out furiously in my head and it was the silence from the others that brought me back to the present.

I looked round and saw everyone looking at me, smiling.

“Idea time!” said Bezan. “I have seen her like this before.”

I blushed, of course.

“Just a thought really. Erm … back then, you sort of shared Milady's office – and complained about having to carry everything down there most of the time!”

They politely laughed but agreed with me. Then they patiently waited for me to continue.

“Well, I was up at the Community Hall the other day and looked around. I met Master Simman and we discussed a problem he has of storage space. There might be space for about a half of what is stored in this room, your stuff and the school stuff. I suggested that the space under the stairs could be made into a sloping-roofed cabinet and we sort of agreed that the school stuff could, indeed should, go in there. But we could not find a solution for all this Assembly stuff. Also, it would defeat the object of having that large area downstairs, if a part was permanently set aside for your meeting room.

“We sort of gave up on that subject then and went on to discuss the Royal rooms up on the first floor. These have been changed in their configuration since the original plans, just like the passageway from the kitchens was originally going to be at a level of one floor up to allow wagons to pass beneath it, but they have now decided that is unnecessary. Someone sometime mentioned that there would be an office for Her Ladyship up there.

“It just all fitted together in my mind just now. Why not have THAT office as the Assembly room? Then, when she is here, she can use it as her office which is where you are most likely to have your meetings anyway. Master Simman told me that he has the equipment and pre-made things there to add rooms or to enlarge them. Why not enlarge one of those rooms and make it her office and your Assembly room? Surely that would make sense?”

“Of course!” “Brilliant.” “So simple!” And several other congratulatory expressions followed.

After which there was some quick discussions amongst several little groups, with much nodding of heads, before they again thanked me and again agreed that it was indeed a good idea.

Bezan was to instruct Master Simman accordingly.

The bad day was looking up since my idea was so well received.

But then I had to leave the room, allowing the Assembly to go about their other business, business that was not mine.

I forced myself to go to the mess in the kitchens and make some order there.

My bad day flooded back.

Maybe work would block it out for a little while.

… … ...

But actually my bad day was about to get worse.

To do with something else entirely.


up
154 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I don't know about any others

I don't know about any others who are or have read this chapter, but I have worked around people who thought everything revolved around them just as Konna has been doing to all of Julina's friends and Julina herself. I do hope Konna gets the fullest punishment allowed under their laws, she definitely deserves it.

Konna's attitude might work

If she actually had a clue and had to charisma to back it up but she has nothing.

The basics of joining a team, any team, is to understand what the existing system is in place is about before even thinking of making changes.

That woman has absolutely no place in any society. Period. Well possibly as a drudge who has absolutely no authority to do anything but what her betters tell her to do, and then the most basic of tasks like tossing out chamber pots.

ASD?

Can't help but wonder if Julina , were she on Earth, would be diagnosed as having an Autism Spectrum Disorder. The way she "drops out" of reality when she has an "idea spell". Combine that with her explosive bouts of temper and I would strongly suspect it.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin