Beyond the Tales Chapter 13

Printer-friendly version


Beyond the Tales

Book 2

Chapter 13

Tests


jzgtj9.jpg

Monday morning I had Grandmother cover my class so I could take the GED test. I wanted that out of the way. I showed up right on time and went through the test fairly quickly. Nothing seemed particularly hard or vexing. Since I was the only one taking the test they scored the test right there. I passed without trouble. I was no longer a student I was a graduate. I smiled and looked at the time and had some time before I needed to be back so I stopped in to speak to the Headmaster. He smiled and said it was great. Then he asked "Do you have a few moments? I am interviewing a candidate for the teacher of the beginners class. It would be helpful if you would sit in and give me your input?"

I said "I have some time. I also am interested in this."

The lady was let in. Her name was Talya Brown. I thought I would know the name but I did not. The interview went well till I asked a question she did not like. I asked "You are not from Sanctuary are you registered with the Mage Hall here?"

She said "Not at this time. I find that to be a outdated requirement."

I looked at her "It is necessary if you want to work in Sanctuary. I know it is just silly paperwork to some but it is necessary to keep things running smoothly."

She looked at me "What would a teacher know about such things? You kissing up to the Grand Mage? I will do only what I see as right. I go my own way."

I don't think of keeping to the rules to be kissing up to anyone. You want to work here you keep to the rules of Sanctuary. You can be deported for this breach of regulations."

She sneered "You a goody two shoes that's going to turn me in to Grand Mage?"

I drew my self up "Do you happen to know who I am?"

She said "You are the teacher of the advanced magic class. I forget your name."

I smiled "Let me introduce myself properly. My name is Her Highness Ember Rose Del La Silver Skyflower-Starstone, Princess of the Great Hall of Crystalis, Princess of Sanctuary, Countess of Starstone, Grand mage of Sanctuary, Sister of Queen Angelica of Sanctuary, Daughter of Queen Aslina of the Great Hall of Crystalis, Granddaughter of the former Archmage, Wife to Count Ben Starstone Captain of the Royal Guard of Sanctuary, Re-Founder of Sanctuary, Leader of the Six of Sanctuary, Creator and Mother of the Crystal Dragons, Teacher of the Advanced Magic Class at the Academy of Sanctuary. There is more but I think I have proven my Point!"

The Headmaster said "Hmm yes we are getting a bit off subject. To the point I don't think you will be suitable for the position at this time. Try us again when you wish to play by the rules. Good Day." She left rather shell shocked. He looked at me smiling "You hit her over the head with your titles like they were a club. I found it quite amusing to watch. I agree that rules that make sense should be followed all the time. The registration rule makes sense to me."

I smiled "It is mostly to keep track of who's where. We don't have that many mages so knowing where they are is the first step to using them efficiently. That way they are at the place they need to be at the time they need to be while still giving them options. And yes sometimes those titles do have their uses."

He said "Well it looks like the quest goes on."

I looked at my watch and said "I have to go do my other job now. Let me know when you find someone I'll check out there magical knowledge. Good Day to you." I left quickly and headed for home.

Lunch was served as soon as I got there. I waited till everyone was almost done when I sprang my news on them. I said "I took my GED test today." At the blank look on their faces I explained "That means General Education Diploma Test. It basically means that I have taken a test to complete High school. I passed so I am no longer a student at the school. It also means I can continue to teach at the school in the fall. As a full faculty member. I will be working half days so I can take care of my babies who if what I am told is right will be born before the end of summer."

The stunned looks on the girls faces turned to excitement as what I said sunk in. Grandmother got up and hugged me. She said "I am so proud of you!"

I said "Well now on to the next subject. What's going to happen to the living situation once the fall term starts. I have been thinking about this and I have come up with a plan. I will create a new house and the Six of you will be the founding members of the Academy's first Sorority of Magic. Those who pass a test will move from the dorms to the new place. We will talk about the requirements to join. I will hire a few maids to take care of the place. This will be school sponsored Activity. That means you will be like the Elite of the school and will live up to it."

Grandmother said "That sounds like a great Idea. If you will allow me to I will run with it. It would make some who want to be know as an Elite try harder just to get in."

I smiled "Ok you run with it. I'll design the building. What do you girls think?"

They all made positive remarks then went off to practical class. I turned to Grandmother How many do you think we should limit it to? So I know how many Bedrooms to put in."

She said "20 I think no more than that. An apartment for the house mother and 3 maids quarters. Do you think that would be too big?"

I smiled "We would have to find a good housemother to watch over the girls. I will leave the hiring of the housemother and maids up to you. Please write down what you think the house should include and I will design it this weekend. Get the girls input too. I have to get to work now." I pointed at Vickie arriving. I got up and we went right into the study to get to work. Work took till almost dinner so I invited Vickie to dinner but she declined saying she had a date. I wished her luck and she left.

After dinner I went out looking at the practice hall thinking I should enlarge it. So I added another ring of rooms counting 12. That made 21 small practice rooms. Then I counted how many would be using it and added another ring of 14 to make a grand total of 35 small rooms and 1 large room. that should keep the bickering down. I looked to the other side of the practice hall from the house I marked out a area to build the Sorority House. I smiled I liked this project.

When I got back to the house Grandmother and the girls were in one of the classrooms talking about the sorority project. Sue told me that Angel was calling for me. I went over to the mirror. I said "Yes sis what do you need?"

She smiled "A little birdie told me you took your test today. How did you do?"

I smiled "It was no problem I passed. So I will still be teaching in the fall. How was your day? Looks like you went shopping."

She chuckled "They must think mothers loose their fashion sense when they get pregnant. It took me all day to find a weeks worth of clothes. Can I ask you to make me a few of those satin nightgowns? They are heaven to sleep in."

I chuckled "Sure sis, it is a relaxing thing to make. You and I are about the same size so I'll just make them to fit me and they should fit you good. 7 in different colors should do you fine. Oh sis I am starting a new project that you may be interested in. A sorority of magic. If you want to know more talk to Grandmother. She is running with the project. She seem real excited about it. I think she was looking for something to put her energy into now that she is retired."

She smiled "Sounds like something the crown could sponsor. I will talk to her about it. Tomorrow when I come for a visit. Well I will let you go till then. Night sis." she broke the link.

I went into the living room and Telsha was in a corner reading a book. I went over and she put down the book and smiled. I said "How is it going living here now? A lot different than you are use to don't you think?"

She laughed "That is putting it mildly. I like it though. It will get busy for me when the other Princesses arrive. I have been put in charge of seeing to it they follow the rules. We have been drawing up a list of rules to keep them in line. We Princesses respect rules. We are also the best at getting around them. Would you like to know who we chose?" I nodded "Ok first we have Killasandra Del Torese older sister of the twins you met. Next is my younger sister Samantha Winter. Lastly Lilia Sif Delight Tamara's much more stable older sister. I will be keeping them in line and they will respect you because this is your place. Don't worry Lilia is nothing like her baby sister."

I said "I hope she isn't The little brat has tried to kill me. That puts me off her rather fast. I know that Lady Sif was Thor's Girlfriend or wife depending on what book on mythology you read. Quite the fighter in her own right. We will see how Lilia stands up to her middle name. What is your sister like?"

She said "Smooth as glass a born diplomat. The peacemaker in the family. A gentle soul with a sharp mind. She will be a good fit for this group. As for Killasandra she is a dancer and a student of the arts. Some see her as flighty but she always seemed to me to be looking for something. I think Killa will take to magic well. We went with ones I know well this time so to get things set before trying unknowns. Well that is the run down on the Princesses. I think I'll go up to bed now. Good night."

I said "Thanks for the food for thought. Good night." I went to check on Cryss to find she was in with the others as was Alexis. So I went to find Ben for some cuddle time.

An hour later I was chatting and cuddling with Ben when Grandmother came looking for me. She sat down on the end of the couch and smiled at us. She said "You really hit it big with this latest project. The girls and I have been talking since dinner. We are putting a lot of thought and work into this." She handed me several sheets of paper. "This is what the house should be like. We are calling it alpha sorority house since it is the first of its kind here. I will be watching over the house and helping out at their events. I will be splitting my time between that and the Princess group. So I should have plenty to hold my attention and still leave time to play with my Great Grandbabies."

I said "Angel called while you were talking. I told her about the project and she said that it was something the crown might like to sponsor. That means more coinage to do events. As well as more prestige to bring in the girls. Do you want to talk to the Headmaster or do you want me to?"

Grandmother said "I will talk to him tomorrow. Why are you squirming like that?"

I stood up and said "Oh my!" Just as my water broke. "Call Janis my water just broke send Trixie to Crystal hall I bet the same thing happened to Angel. This is serious people!" I waddled towards the front door. Ben rushed in to call Janis as Grandmother helped me.

She asked "Can you make it to your room or do you want Ben to carry you?"

I said "I will make it. I don't want Belle and John born downstairs." I waddled faster. "Oh that feels weird. "

Ben said "Janis is on her way and Trixie is on her way to see Angel." He picked me up and carried me to our room. Janis got there in record time. The next three hours were very intense. Ben was too freaked so he was banded from the room and Grandmother held my hand and helped me trough the twins birth. Belle came out first then John moments later. Tasha was there to help Janis. I was going in and out as Janis was speaking. After I heard that both kids were whole and healthy I went out all the way.

I slowly came back to myself. I woke and looked around I heard someone moving around close by. Then I heard grandmothers voice "You mother is waking up belle I need to put you down now." I felt a hand on my shoulder "Time to wake up Dear your Babies are hungry." I opened my eyes and shook myself slightly.

I said "How long?" Tasha helped me sit part way up.

Grandmother said "Just a few hours. Do you want to feed Belle or John first?"

My mind was getting into gear. I said "Belle please. Little ladies first. How is Ben taking it?"

Tasha smiled "He fainted Miss. He is sleeping it off in the spare room. Do you wish me to wake him?"

I smiled "Let him sleep at least one of us will get a good nights rest." Grandmother handed me Belle so I could feed her. That was a very fulfilling feeling. I was truly a Mom now. After feeding Belle I fed John. I was really feeling happy. Grandmother smiled and put John back in his crib to sleep. My eyelids were beginning to droop.

Grandmother said "Sleep now Dear One the babies will wake you soon enough." I was just on the edge of sleep I heard "Watch over them Tasha I will relieve you in 4 hours." I slipped into a deep sleep before I heard the answer.

The next few days were all about eating sleeping and changing diapers. My strength returned and I felt very happy. On the 4th day I came down stairs a baby in each arm and formally introduced the kids to the household. I called Angel on the link and Introduced the babies to her and she introduced her babies to me. She named her babies Ashley and Allen. After that I got things back on track.

I had designed the sorority house with everything on the list in mind. With Tasha along to watch the kids I walked the carriage to the spot I chose for the house. The kids were happily sleeping while I worked my magic and created the house. 20 bedrooms, 24 bathrooms, 20 study rooms, 3 class rooms, a game room, 2 workout rooms, a large living room, a large dining hall, a large kitchen, a music room, 3 maids quarters and a apartment for the housemother were all included. I was stretching myself to do it all at once. I smiled when it was done. I turned and said "Well that's done! Shall we go back." So we did. I had used almost to the danger line of my magic. I knew it would regenerate but it would take a while. So I was moving sort of slow. It was Sunday so I did not have to start to work till a week from tomorrow. Grandmother was taking my classes and Quin was handling the heavy lifting on the Grand mage front. I was to have a update from Vickie tomorrow but no work yet just a face to face.

When we got back there was three new faces to meet. Telsha introduced Lilia, Samantha and Killasandra. Telsha did not use any titles in her Intros. This was the 3 we were waiting for. They would be staying here as part of the Princess Betterment Group.

I said "Welcome to my home. I hope you like your stay here and in Sanctuary."

Lilia asked "Just out of curiosity what your Titles are."

I smiled "Let me introduce myself properly. My name is Her Highness Ember Rose Del La Silver Skyflower-Starstone, Princess of the Great Hall of Crystalis, Princess of Sanctuary, Countess of Starstone, Grand mage of Sanctuary, Sister of Queen Angelica of Sanctuary, Daughter of Queen Aslina of the Great Hall of Crystalis, Granddaughter of the former Archmage, Wife to Count Ben Starstone Captain of the Royal Guard of Sanctuary, Re-Founder of Sanctuary, Leader of the Six of Sanctuary, Creator and Mother of the Crystal Dragons, Teacher of the Advanced Magic Class at the Academy of Sanctuary. There is more but they are minor. Does that cure your curiosity?"

Lilia said "Yes it does thank you that is Quite the impressive list. My baby sister did not know a third of your titles. I do apologize for the actions of my sister. She has embarrassed the family and is being punished for it. The fact that you would let me into your home after the actions of my sister it shows you are a true Noble."

I smiled "I think we will get along fine. Have you 3 eaten lunch yet? I was about to sit down to it myself will you join me?" They all three answered yes so we went into the dining hall. Sue served a fine meal for four.

Killasandra asked "I am told you recently gave birth you seem quite healthy for a woman that just gave birth. May I ask how long ago it was?"

I smiled "5 days ago." I liked there shocked looks. I finished my lunch and stood "If you will excuse me now that I have had my lunch it is time to give my babies theirs." I nodded at them and went to the nursery to feed the babies. I always felt so good and mellow after feeding the kids.

I went down to the living room leaving Tasha to watch over the kids. I wanted to talk to Grandmother. She was there alone so I sat and asked "When do you plan to start moving the girls over to the Alpha house? Now that it is built."

She looked at me and said "You were to take it easy. How much of it did you do?" I just smiled at her. "You did it all in one shot? That was very foolish. Oh well it is done now. I wont move the girls over till I can hire the maids and housemother. That wont be till you are back to work. So a while yet. I thought you liked having them here?"

I shrugged "I do, I am just trying to get a bead on what you are thinking. That way I can make my plans and not cross paths."

There came a knock on the door. It was the Headmaster. After he was sitting with us he said "You are looking good. Do you think you could help me with three interviews Tomorrow morning. Just talking nothing else. It is for the Beginning Magic class position. I really need your help."

I looked at Grandmother. She said "I will allow it if you move the interviews here, they are not more than 1/2 hour each and you stick to the just talking part."

He smiled "This helps me out of a jam. Thank you both. I will be here at 9:45 for the first interview. We should be done by 11:00."

I smiled "I'll be ready. Those would not be the files there would they?" He nodded "Why don't you just leave them with me. That way I'll be prepared for the morning." He nodded and handed me the files. He got up and bowed then left. I shot a questioning look at Grandmother.

She said "You looked bored and I did not want you to use any magic for a few days. So You can do this. It is work but not hard work. Besides I want a good teacher in that slot so we don't have to unteach any thing." I smiled she was right about that.

I glanced over the first file,

Name Fan-to Chi
Birth place Nan Cho, China
Current Residents Whitewater Trading Post
Status Level 5 Ice Mage
Teaching Background None
Schooling Self Taught

After I read that I put that one aside. A self taught ice mage is bound to have missed or slanted basics. That would not be good. I don't think we want this one. So I went on to the next.

Name Millie Darkshape
Birthplace Unknown
Current Residents Whitewater Trading Post
Status Level 6 Illusion level 5 Storm Level 3 Shaper
Teaching Background Private Teacher 3 years
Schooling Delforest Academy for Girls
Level reached Completed School

This one was a maybe. I had heard of that school it was a reform school but a good one. This one had teaching experience so that's good. Levels are good. We will have to see. #3 is a thick folder that said absolutely nothing of worth.

Name Webo Willanna
Birth place Whitewater Trading Post
Current Residents Whitewater Trading Post
Status Untested
Teaching Background None
Schooling Home schooled
Level Reached N/A

Oh this one is a winner Not! Looks like #2 Millie is the best of the lot from this group. I don't know why He went to a Trading Post to look for teachers? I think he is trying to mess this up or get me to do it. Well I have enough on my plate at this time I am not taking on any more.

Grandmother said "Any good ones" I handed her Millie's file.

I sighed "That's the Best of these. I would not call her Prime but not a automatic no. I just wonder why he would go to Whitewater for a teacher. Unless he is trying to go cheep."

Grandmother said "Going cheep on a teacher is stupid. Unless he is hoping someone else would take over and do it right? Either way it means more work for us. I guess there is no help for it right now."

I said "Right now I am going to take a nap. I have a feeling I am going to need a lot of energy to stay calm tomorrow."

After my nap I fed the kids then fed myself. I was feeling much better now. I checked my magic levels and found them up to half. That was a fast regeneration of my magic. It was dinner time so I went to have dinner with the others. We talked about the project and I said "Oh by the way the house is finished. We can do the naming ceremony any time you like." That got the talk going around to as when and the official name of the place. It kept going to the end of dinner.

Over desert Lilia asked "What is a sorority? I don't know this word?"

Grandmother answered her "It is a Group of women connected with a school that live in the same house and put on fundraising events for the school. It is a type of social group. The girls call each other sisters and love, help and respect each other. At least in the good ones they do. I find that the friendships that come out of these places last a lifetime. The girls may change but the spirit of the place remains from year to year. They are found mostly at collages and higher. We are starting ours early in high school."

Lilia said "Is it a religious place? Or is it like a guild?"

Grandmother said "It is not a religious group. It is like a guild for women students. This sorority is for Advanced Magic students. Do you understand now?" Lilia nodded.

We got up and headed for the living room. The front door opened and Angel two carriages and two maids came in. I went over and hugged her "Hi sis you didn't tell me you were coming. How are you and the kids doing?"

Angel said "I did not decide to come here till we were out on our after dinner walk. We are all doing fine. Oh new faces and who would these three be?"

Grandmother came up and hugged her "These are our first three in the Princess Betterment Group. This is Lilia, Samantha and Killasandra. Ladies this is my other Granddaughter Angelica Princess of Crystalis and Queen of Sanctuary." All three went into deep Curtsies when they heard Queen.

Angel went into Queen mode and said "You may rise. Hmm Princess Betterment Group you did not tell me about that one."

Grandmother said "It was Telsha's Idea She is in charge and I am helping her. Here She is now." introductions were made and the whole curtsy thing done. "I hear you know about our Sorority project. Let's go in the study and talk about it." so off they went while I was introducing her twins to my twins. They got along great. So went the fun for awhile.

When Angel came in and said "I am officially supporting the Sorority project and The Princess Betterment Group as well. I have a good feeling about these two groups. I can see where you get your helping thing it is from Grandmother. I take after Mother I think. Well I finished what I wanted to do here so I should go back before it is real late. I think I'll ask Sam to walk me and the kids back. Just to be safe.

I smiled "And so you can pump him for info about this Girlfriend he claims to have. One that none of us have ever met!" We both grinned as she got the babies ready to go.

I followed her to the door. Sam came out looking very knightly as he escorted the Queen on her way home. If there is anything to find out Angel will dig till she finds it.

I played with the babies for a bit then let them sleep. I checked my magic levels and I was at 3/4 of max. I have never regenerated this fast before. Something was up. I went looking for Grandmother to see if she had any ideas. If I am being given more magic there must be a reason for it. The shifter war was over but bad guys hide in every shadow. I know I get hurt when my creations are hurt so the blast that put the hole in the Throne room hit me indirectly and put me into a coma. But whatever is messing with my Pregnancy took the time to mess with me a little more. Now that the babies are out I am getting stronger magic wise. That tells me something powerful will be coming after my babies soon. I hope I am just jumping at shadows.

Grandmother was busy so I went to find Ben for some cuddle time. I don't know why but I activated Safe house mode. Just then a fire blast hit the side of the house. It was a big one. Several more hit the house in rapid blasts. I knew whatever I was waiting for was here. The others gathered in the living room. Tasha brought the babies down with her so everyone but me was in the living room. I activated the safe room spell and all the doors closed and locked and a second shield went up around the room. I decided to face this attacker head on so I picked up my bag and brought out my staff took a deep breath and walked out the front door. the door locked and shielded as soon as I passed outside.

I was not ready for what was waiting for me. A dark scaled Dragon woman was staring at me. I let go of my control and let out the Elemental that was inside me. As I did my magic level jumped to almost twice what it was. She smiled "Finally I have found you! Now you will pay for what you have done!" She raised her hand to blast me when suddenly I was no longer alone. There was 13 Dragons around me. Cryss was standing between the Dragon woman and me. I could feel the magic of the Dragons focused on Cryss.

Cryss said "You will not hurt our mother! You have Broken Dragon Law! I as Princess of the Crystal Dragon Race call on the ancient power to banish you this night to the realm of the dead never to return!" I heard a whisper in my ear "Mother lend me your magic. Only I can do what must be done." I drew on all my magic and gave it all to Cryss! She cast a spell I had never heard before the Dragon woman screamed and tried to run away as a blue globe left Cryss hand. But she could not move as the globe hit her strait in the chest she cried out then vanished. Cryss said "It is too soon for you to change Mother. This world is not ready for the being you will become. Change back!" I felt some of my magic returning to me. I forced the Elemental back deep with in myself. Something strange happened I shifted into a form I had never had before a Crystal Dragon! A bit larger than any of the others and beyond Beautiful. I heard a hundred generations of Crystal Dragons calling my Name. Cryss said "Welcome to your true form Mother as Queen of the Crystal Dragons! Sleep now Mother and Dream." I felt my eyes close.

Dream I did. my dreams were vivid and beautiful. I lived a lifetime in those Dreams. I went from the egg to the full lady I was now in those dreams. Then there was 6 other dragons there. Each a different Race. I knew each one of them. They were the Queens of their races come to welcome me to their ranks. It was a Lovely Dream. I woke and there they were all 6 of them. They had really come to welcome me. Each one bowed her head to me then one by one they vanished. Till only me and Cryss were left. I shifted back and passed out.

I woke as Ben was carrying me upstairs. I felt so good I just snuggled into him and went back to sleep.

To be continued

As always all life giving comments are Welcome and Loved!

up
192 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

GYPSY!!!

Alecia Snowfall's picture

Whoa! Wait! we're still taking cover from that bomb you just dropped on us naughty girl! MORE MORE MORE!!!

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

And just as it got so very

And just as it got so very interesting and I was totally absorbed in the story; she goes back to sleep!? How I dislike 'cliff hangers'. Would love to be able to see pictures of Ember as the Queen Mother of all Crystal Dragons, in her very own Crystal Dragon form. She most likely looks beyond stunning.

Great chapter

I'm happy to see another chapter.

I'm puzzled about one thing, though. Of all the things she has done or been accused of doing, what was the dragon lady attacking her for?

I liked the Crystal Singer reference.

Jorey
.

WOW!!

Incredible! This story just keeps getting more and more awesome! I look forward to this more than anything else on this site, and that's saying something 'cause there is some great stuff here. As always can't wait for more.

nomad

Just as

..things seem to be settling down, you throw another curved ball ..... and then Ember falls asleep (again).**sigh**

I look forward to the next part with interest

Joanna

Ember: Pawn or Queen?

Even though we've seen that a lot of maneuvering has been involved ever since Ember's birth, the fact remains that her own choices and actions have made the new Sanctuary what it is. But now she's losing control almost completely. First the imposed pregnancies, and now she's confronted by an adversary who clearly knows a lot more than Ember does about what's going on.

But Criss has a complete hold on the situation. She knows what the dark dragon wants and how to stop her permanently; she borrows her mother's magic -- including, apparently, that of the more powerful Elemental form that IIRC Ember wasn't consciously aware of until now -- to cast a spell that Ember doesn't know, and then tells Ember that her (Ember's) own dragon form, of which she (and we) were totally unaware, is her true self but one for which the world is not yet prepared.

It's getting tempting to believe that Criss -- or some entity that has co-opted her -- is the being that's doing all the maneuvering here, and that Ember and Angel, when they ultimately change the two worlds, won't have a whole lot of choice in how it shakes down.

It's also beginning to look a lot as though that fundamental change on both Earth and the Other Side that Ember and Angel are going to bring about is one in which Dragons and not people end up as the folks in charge. Not sure what to say about that.

Eric

Wow from me too.

I like Eric comment. I just hope Ember retain her human form. Its hard for me to follow dragons story if its stay permanent. hihi
Shocking twist GypsyWomen. Thank you