Julina of Blackstone - 050 - Exasperation, Education and Expansion

Printer-friendly version

Will Julina ever have a peaceful day again?

grakh
 
Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles, Book 2

by Julia Phillips

050 – Exasperation, Education and Expansion


Disclaimer:

The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended.
This story is copyright © 2013 - 2020 Julia Phillips. All rights reserved.

It uses some of the associated characters and situations that arise from the world called ‘Anmar’ created by Penny Lane, whose stories
are also copyright © 2010 - 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.


Julina of Blackstone
Her Chronicles
050 – Exasperation, Education and Expansion

“Maker! I had not expected this.” I turned from Kelly to the man to whom she had been talking. “I'm sorry sir, but, as you have already been told by Mistress Kellonika here, that will not be possible. And I must add that I fail to understand why it has become necessary to call me in. You have been informed already. I find no reason to change anything that my colleague has said.”

The man turned to me as I was talking and looked me up and down, from head to toe and back again.

He was a little taken aback when I returned the 'compliment'.

I know not exactly what HE saw, but what I saw was a man, self-satisfied, confident in himself, but running towards overweight. I had the feeling that the flush on his face might be from a glass of wine too many. His whole bearing was that of the typical sort of man I had oft encountered, thinking only of himself. Always bending things and events to his needs. Or trying to.

I trust that my face did NOT show the slight sneer that his face managed to employ when he spoke to me, a little over-loudly: “I understand this might be difficult for you children to grasp, but I'll try to make it simple for you.” He started to speak more slowly, and more deliberately. “I want to have a private dinner for three hands of people here on the 14th of Pertulin. You just run along and find someone to write it in your daybook.”

He used a dismissive gesture towards me, which was sufficient action to infuriate me. He seemed not to hear the hissed intakes of breath from some of the other clients seated in the room. I certainly didn't at that heartbeat, it was reported to me later.

Without turning away, holding his eyes with mine, which I knew were blazing - and which I felt were creating a feeling of uncertainty within him - I spoke over my shoulder to where I knew Kelly would be hovering. She was, I was absolutely certain, nearby - and somehow I knew all the other girls were too. They told me later that Kelly's eyebrows shot up as I used a most reasonable tone, albeit dripping with ice, to her: “Kellonika, would you be so kind as to fetch Mistress Kassama? It would appear that we are deemed children, and therefore not able to command respect, or not worthy of such. Perchance a woman of elder status might have the required effect, or at least be able to deliver an acceptable message.”

“Don't do anything more, 'Lina, promise? Nothing! Don't do anything, alright? The rest of you girls, go about your business, please.”

Later, I realised that Kelly was right to take command at that heartbeat, for I was far too incensed in those moments to have reacted sensibly. I was told that all the others, apart from Kords, turned away and started doing little jobs just so as to look busy. I simply kept my eyes locked onto his and was sure I saw the first tremor of doubt enter his up to now closed mind. But that might have been wishful thinking on my part. I am, however, certain that my fury shone through.

Afterwards, they further explained that Kords too was fully aware that my quiet and icy tone meant I was a hairsbreadth away from exploding. She nodded to Kelly and their eyes said that Kords would do everything she could to hold me back. Kelly scurried off, trying to be as quick as she could. She knew she could not leave me there too long with this anger boiling up inside me. My frustrations over the past few days were in severe danger of spilling over.

I clenched my fists and dug my nails into my palms. I was trembling from foot to head.

Let me leave you in no doubt; the explosion point was there. The tension had reached a painful level. A complete silence had settled on the room, but at that heartbeat I was fully unaware of it. Some diners had stood up apparently, but my focus was on not losing my temper to this utter stranger who had slighted us all in front of everyone, slighted us in our own workplace. … I reached ...

Just then, a deep male voice shattered the strained silence with brutal suddenness. I confess I jumped and squealed slightly. I could not but help look at the newcomer to our 'discussions'.

“Good e'en, sir! I am Torin, Master Carpenter at your service.” He turned briefly to me: “Mistress Julina, 'tis, as always, a pleasure.” He turned again to once more pay attention to the man: “Now sir, you are …?”

“Trying to get these silly children to do ...”

Torin's tone sharpened: “Nay sir, I meant who are you? What is your name? Where are you from? What do you here in Blackstone?”

The man flushed briefly. I suspected because of a number of factors, which included such things like being interrupted by a stranger, forgetting the social niceties of announcing himself, being questioned in full view of the other diners, and by not getting his way immediately.

And maybe the wine.

“Topor is my name, Torin. But I do not care to discuss my business with strangers, let alone quite so publicly.” He attempted to use high and aloof tones, but some nervousness had crept in, barely perceptible to anyone else than Torin and I. It was just there in his eyes. I recognised it from dealings with my brothers and sisters.

“That would be Master Torin, I thank you, Goodman Topor.”

The man flushed at Master Torin's tone; and also at the way Torin said the word 'Goodman' – which, it later occurred to me, was probably a demotion uttered quite deliberately by the carpenter.

Torin continued: “You haven't shown any such reticence earlier during the whole of this sitting of dinner. Every one of your fellow diners has heard your opinion on a whole host of matters since you have been seated there. We have been unable NOT to hear your utterances.”

A red flush rose in the man's cheeks: “That would be Master Topor. I too am a Master in my field. And I would have you ...”

“And I, sir, am a member of the Assembly of Blackstone, the controlling body of this Town. As is my dining partner here, Master Selden. He is the Valley Messenger Service Agent resident up here. We are in a position to deny you permission to remain in this Town. It would behove you to remain silent until I have explained a few things to you. You may be seated.”

Topor looked a little shocked. He started up as if to argue. His eyes darted to mine once more.

I shook my head at him, pityingly and that seemed sufficient to make him take stock of his surroundings.

Every single eye in the place was upon him, some of the diners with forks poised halfway from plate to lips. Some standing. All looking intently at him.

He looked to his companions for support, but they just shook their heads at him as well.

Some sense finally prevailed as he sat back down – there was, I deemed, a hint that he did that gratefully. At least that is how it seemed to me right then.

That didn't stop his spluttering, though.

His two companions were definitely cringing away from being the centre of all this. They would much rather be somewhere else entirely. Topor grabbed his wine glass and tossed the contents down his throat in a gesture which I supposed was intended to be defiant but which came across merely as petulant.

Torin continued in menacing tones, leaning slightly over the man: “We have had no choice but were forced to listen as you decided to explain to your so far unintroduced dining partners just how backward we must all be up here, and how the Count Trosanar would appear to hold us all in the lowest regard. Mostly because these lands are those of a 'chit of a girl' with no experience and so on.”

He paused for a heartbeat, then nearly thundered: “I would remind you that that 'chit of a girl' you referred to is now a Princess of this realm and will one day be your Queen. Further … Ah! Mistress Kassama, welcome!”

This last was said in far calmer tones, a contrast that had a quite startling effect.

Kassama dropped a quick curtsey to Masters Torin and Selden, acknowledging them by name.

Torin continued speaking reasonably: “This er ... 'gentleman' here, Master ...” there was the very slightest of sneers in his tone as he said that, “Topor is apparently lodging here in your house, along with his two companions?”

“That is correct, Master Torin. He and the Goodmen Ree and Goshie arrived this evening on the Shuttle. I sent them down to dine once I found out from Kelly, excuse me, from Kellonika that there were just sufficient places for them in this second sitting, and she would kindly make place for them. They are staying here because it seems all the other beds in the Town are filled, and they have taken my last two rooms. Goodness knows what will ...”

“Yes. Thank you Mistress Kassama. Your information has been most valuable.”

Kassama stopped abruptly, worried lest she had done something wrong, but Torin made a soothing hand gesture which calmed her down.

She then looked at me, and even I could see her nervousness shoot up again. By then, of course, she knew me well enough that the twin high spots of colour in my cheeks were danger signs. They told her, as clearly as words, just how I was feeling at that heartbeat.

Torin turned back to Topor, again with just that hint of a sneer: “We all in this room know that you found the food good, for you repeated your delight loudly enough, and often enough. And the wine, which perchance you might have done better had you watered it, also met with your approval. You even admitted to hearing of this place's reputation before you arrived. Is that not so?”

“Indeed it is. I had ...”

“Pray remain seated, and remain silent for a moment.” The command tones used by Master Selden as he broke his hitherto silence made Topor do just that, as he flashed his eyes to this second man who was berating him. “Listen to Master Torin! Heed well!” Selden nodded to Torin.

Torin resumed his speechifying: “That very reputation has been built upon excellent food, excellent service and discreet dining, in a quiet and warm atmosphere. You, however, have been so loud as to disturb the rest of us this evening. In that way the discreet part of the reputation has been destroyed for all of us, for all of this night. If we had wanted a tavern atmosphere then we could have gone to the Bell or the Claw. But we chose to come to the Salon for a quiet, civilised, genteel evening. Something, you should be aware, which you have denied us all.

“The whole dining experience here is normally so good and the reputation is so deserved simply as the result of one woman's vision, abilities and drive. Her organisational abilities, her cooking abilities and her heartfelt enthusiasm have provided you with one of the best meals you have ever had. You cannot gainsay your own words, sir!

“Not content with just running this establishment, this same woman spends four or five mornings a week teaching others of all ages to write and to read. Teaches them, you shall notice. Teaches! To WRITE.” He paused briefly. “Reflect on your recent words, taking this new information into account. What was it you said? Something like: 'Run along and find someone who can write.' It would not surprise me if she was better at that endeavour than you are, sir.

“And in amongst all this, she has still found the time to invent the Wender system that is so popular down in your own home town. So popular indeed that we all could not help but hear you boast of Tranidor being so much more advanced, using as you did that same Wender system as an example.”

Topor was astounded by THAT piece of information, we all could tell.

“Yes, SHE invented it. A Blackstone woman invented a system that you from Tranidor have publicly boasted about. She even made a speech at the official inauguration of the service. A fact that you should check if you doubt me.”

Topor started again to splutter but Torin's scathing gaze made him subside once more.

“With no consideration for practicalities, YOU have declared that YOU wish to reserve the entire restaurant for YOUR purposes. We all heard you. Everyone here in this room. And probably a good few passing outside on the street heard your demands, so loud were they.

“This Salon, as you should have observed this e'en had you not been quite so wrapped up in yourself and your bigotries, can seat nigh on a half-hundred diners. And they do that EVERY night.

“And yet your attitude is that this place, this Town, this room, they are all just somethings in a no-good backwards far-flung end of our nation, somethings that are there for a person as 'sophisticated' as you to order about as you will.

“Without consideration of others, YOU have declared that YOU want to have this entire establishment privately for an entire night, just to feed a mere three hands of people. Depriving those who run this place of two thirds or more of its expected income for that night. And furthermore, depriving any others of the opportunity of dining here that night. I know not, for I have not asked, but those that run this place may have already taken reservations for that night, from others who may have a birthday treat planned, or an anniversary, or an important business meeting.

“Had any of these things actually crossed what may be left of your mind?”

There were some grunts of agreement from around the room.

“I deem that none of these considerations have started to do so, even now.

“And when you were informed that your demand – a demand, we ALL noted, and NOT a request – when you were informed that your demand could not be met, you were dismissively rude to the girl who had told you immediately, and politely, that it would not be possible.

“And then you topped all this unacceptable behaviour by being insulting to the very woman who has done all these things I have described in getting this business set up successfully as a working and respected undertaking.”

He shook his head, now pityingly at the thoroughly reduced Topor, whose mouth had dropped fully open.

“For all these reasons, and yet others I have failed so far to mention, I find that I cannot accept you being so rude to her as you have been. Nor can I allow you to be so rude about our Town. On her behalf, and then upon the behalves of our entire Town, I now formally demand of you an apology!”

I was severely taken aback when the whole dining room stood and applauded Master Torin's words. He stood back from his menacing lean at the man, and smiled at him. A smile that was received with detectable trepidation for it was a most fierce one.

As for me, I realised that Torin's interruption, and his words, had managed to make me calm down somewhat. I have no doubt whatsoever that his intercession had prevented me from damaging my, and my establishment's reputation – possible irretrievably.

But I was not as taken aback as much as Topor obviously was.

I believe that for the first time in his life, he was made to actually THINK. It was as if Master Torin, with the help of Master Selden, had held up a hand mirror and shown Topor his true likeness.

And he didn't like it.

For Topor looked as if he had been struck heavily about the head, at the same time as being winded by a strong blow to his ample stomach. His face had showed a most sudden pallor.

I could somehow tell he was re-evaluating himself, quite probably all the way down to his very soul.

And the situation was suddenly very urgent for him, because he had in effect been challenged to change his ways, and quickly, or to be responsible for providing some recompense to the one who had demanded an apology. To the one who had now made this a matter of honour.

He jerked when Torin leaned forward once more, and, with steel in his voice, said: “I urge you to stand now and apologise to Mistress Julina and then to the rest of us!”

A hush fell on the room.

Slowly, ever so slowly, the man rose to his feet. His entire demeanour demonstrated that he realised he was thoroughly beaten. He realised as well how arrogant and condescending his attitude had been.

Still no-one breathed, or so it seemed to me.

“Master Torin, I had no idea. I ...”

“Mistress Julina! Now! Her apology first. And be quick about it.”

“Mistress Julina, I am sorry for any offence I may have caused.”

I bowed my head slightly, without taking my eyes from his. I think that reaction told him more than anything just how upset I still was.

And that in turn made him appreciate how deeply upset the others were. He decided to expand his list.

“Mistress Klonka, I apologise for doubting you and I spoke in haste.”

“Kell-on-i-ka.” was the only reply she made.

“I am sorry for disturbing all of your dinners,” continued Topor, making a full circle – we all noticed that he didn't actually catch anyone else's eye.

“And I apologise for the slights I have unwittingly cast upon your town.”

The diners who had stood sat back down as their way of acknowledging his words. The others settled more comfortably into their chairs.

It was noticeable to me that not one person formally accepted his apology; it seemed as if they felt that he was just saying the words, that he STILL did not understand properly.

But I was sure that actually he had been shaken to his very core. My time as a mother to my siblings had taught me to look inside the person I was dealing with, and that experience told me he was … awakened … yes, that was the most accurate word, I felt.

There was again a small silence, a small silence that was broken in the end by none other than myself.

“Master Topor!” His eyes met mine, but without the previous challenge, as I employed my best 'Mama' tones: “Apart from the fact that I do not allow MY restaurant to be a private venue, for a variety of reasons I shall not go into now, nor do I see any reason why I have to explain myself to the likes of you, there is another factor that Master Torin here failed to mention, quite possibly because he himself was unaware of it. As of recently, we have determined that we shall not open for business on each and every one of the seven nights in a week.

“Our months of experience working here have meant that we now find we require an afternoon and evening for … consolidation, yes, that's about the correct word … for consolidation, each week. Therefore, starting on the 7th of this month, the restaurant shall be shut to diners for just that one night of each week. This month, those dates shall be the 7th, the 14th, the 21st and the 28th. The following month on the 4th, the 11th and so on.

“Not only was your inappropriate, inconsiderate and overbearing DEMAND unacceptable from the point of view of the principles upon which I run this place, it was also against our newly-formed policy of closing our doors for one night in a week. We have been and still are fully prepared to cater a private event for someone, but this room shall not be the venue for such.”

I shook my head and my finger at him as I continued: “You only had to ask. You only had to make a simple request.

“But demanding it as you did, and treating us as people unworthy of respect whilst doing so, has meant that we are now all in this awkward situation. You might well be accustomed to this behaviour back where you come from, but up here, things are done differently. Which fact you shall ignore at your peril.

“We in this town welcome anyone with an open mind, but those that think they are superior than us in some way, based entirely upon opinions that may or may not be valid, will be shown very short shrift. I know not your business here, nor am I particularly interested in it, albeit I do know that it must be substantial else why would you be here for two or so weeks, but this 'child' advises you to change your preconceptions before you do yourself and your plans any permanent damage.

“I find I must thank you for your approval of the fare I have served you. As for the rest, then time shall have to tell. Now, I have things to do in MY kitchens.”

I walked out with my head held high.

To more sustained applause.

… … …

The others who could be spared gathered round me in the kitchens as I burst into tears as soon as I was out of sight, and earshot, of the diners.

Their hugs were so very welcome.

Even the new girls joined in. It was later they told me how shocked they had been at my forcefulness and yet how much they had both gleaned and gained from it.

And how they began to believe that women could do so much more than the then society assumed, or, indeed, allowed.

… … ...

“... for Baron Werrel besits lands in several areas, perchance most relevant to you all is the stretch from Tranidor town wall up along the west bank of the Bray. He lost a mark or two to your Lady Garia ...”

“Princess Garia!”

“Excuse me. Of course. Princess Garia. Anyway, I was born in that land ceded from Baron Werrel to the then Baroness Garia.”

Despite my natural antipathy towards Master Topor, I found myself smiling inwardly at his quite clever riposte.

Masters Selden and Torin had felt strongly enough about last night's events that they had introduced this as an extra subject to the Assembly meeting that had been called to ensure everything was ready for the imminent return of the Steward. The declared aim of this particular topic in their meeting was to determine Master Topor's intentions; he had, after all, arrived unannounced which was of concern.

Indeed, there were several other concerns raised too, the major ones being the proposed length of Topor's stay, and his intention to seat fourteen others with him to a dinner, meaning his team was to be of a relatively large size. Two of those fourteen we already knew about, but for what reason were all the others coming up here?

And there had been no notice of such a team arriving. He had turned up, a complete stranger to any of us in Blackstone, with no forewarning and no expectation.

And with a pre-determined attitude that had been proven to be so very, very wrong.

Thus it was that he was summoned to the Assembly meeting, for the first topic to be discussed.

Which is partly why Master Jepp made again his now fairly regular request for my scribing abilities, especially to show Topor just how wrong he was last evening to assume that a girl-child was illiterate.

Which message had been received and understood with a certain embarrassed further apology made that morning as the session got under way after the inevitable round of introductions. Torin, Selden and I were less polite than the others.

Topor had then gone on to describe his upbringing and his recent work which was up in the Stone Sea, but another part of it from 'ours'.

“... The Chivans were amazing! The sheer cost in men and resources of forcing that road through to Tel Botro, through the Stone Sea, even though the Palar had done a lot of the work, must have been almost crippling to them. By the way, there is apparently someone down in Palarand City who can read the Chivan script on their markstones, and it would appear that Tel Botro as we know it in these modern times was in fact called Polpetter by the Chivans. Traders that have come down that long and winding road from Tel Botro relate a history of their city being conquered not long after the Great Flood by a tribe who swept in on them out of the desert and then over the mountain ridge to their west. I find that hard to believe, I mean who could survive in a desert, particularly one that is even larger than the Stone Sea - by some hand of times?

“But that road the Chivans built through the Stone Sea, would you believe that its length is more than twice the distance from here to Tranidor? I swear upon my oath that I speak the truth. They followed the course of the Palar, naturally, but to make it wide enough to be usable they had to dig out stone from here, add crushed stone to there, and in some parts they had to divert from the route they had started, retrace their steps and strike out in a new direction, away from the river. And all with their primitive tools! Truly, truly astounding.

“At one point, they have dug so much down into a fold in the landscape that it resembles a tunnel without a roof. Fully a hand or more of strides is the height of those walls there.”

The enthusiasm with which he spoke and the tone with which he did so, made us all realise that here was truly an expert in his field, someone very knowledgeable about the Stone Sea. We began to see perhaps why he had been sent to us.

And so it proved.

Apparently, at a discussion down in Palarand City, Master Yarling had mentioned the intent of using the Stone Sea materials to someone else; that someone had sent a semaphore to someone else, who had sent the information on. Master Topor was selected to come here. Everyone assumed that Topor was way up the Palar Valley, where the river cuts through that expanse of stone.

As it happens, Count Trosanar down in Tranidor had summoned Master Topor to his castle for a progress report. So Topor could depart from Tranidor immediately his reporting to the Count was concluded. He had been nearly a week closer than originally thought.

“I am the Assistant Assessor on a team of ...”

He was interrupted by a snorted giggle.

Which unfortunately came from me.

Now it was my turn to apologise. I did so embarrassedly, and quickly.

“I'm sorry, everyone. I just wrote down what Master Topor just said, in a sort of swift writing I have developed, and seeing the two words next to each other made me laugh – Ass Ass. I am deeply sorry to have interrupted you, Master!”

I saw Master Jepp scribble down something on a piece of paper next to him, and was relieved when he too chuckled. He too had written it as I had described. His piece of paper was handed round. Everyone else chuckled or giggled too, even Master Topor. So my blushing apology was waved away.

“I am the Assistant Assessor on a team of fifty men sent to maintain and modernise the ancient road, which is in places crumbling. Every Duchy, County and Barony through which that road passes is required to contribute to the costs of keeping it open, and Palarand City itself also contributes, the trade being considered to be vital. I understand that a premium is added to the goods that are imported that way, to cover the urgent road maintenance.

“The project is now fully assessed and my duties were winding down, so I have been despatched here, with two colleagues, to assess the chances of your extraction of usable material from the Stone Sea. I and my two colleagues were fortunately already in Tranidor, rather than hundreds of marks away towards Tel Botro, so we decided to come straight up here. It would appear that we have arrived before this Master Yarling himself has had time to travel here.

“The rest of my team, a dozen other men, will have to travel down to Tranidor first and then up here, which is why I attempted, in my clumsy way, to reserve such a good meal for them on the day they are due to arrive. I regret that I might have imbibed a little more wine last evening than I am used to and might have got a trifle loud.”

“And opinionated,” muttered Master Selden.

“That too,” acknowledged Master Topor with quite an attractive grin. And what appeared to be a genuine regret.

I was shocked to find my resentment of the man starting to fade away.

“Thank you for your explanation, Master Topor. We wished to be certain that we were fully able to inform our Steward upon his return on the morrow. He shall arrive in company with Master Yarling, so your natural questions should be answered then, or the day after depending upon how busy he shall be in the first instances.

“Now, I can see that Master Bezan has something to say, so I yield the floor to him. Master Bezan is our project leader for the development of the town and the industries that are so rapidly expanding around it. He is, sorry WAS, of the Mason's Guild.”

… … …

“Quick! Quick! Stir your lazy bones. We have less than half a bell to be at the bottom of the steps up to the Yarling shaft. If we are late, they shall go on without us. I need to go and fetch Pomma, you get Molly and Kelly. I have sent an urchin to Kords. Come ON, Gyth. Move it!”

My urgency managed to get through, and Gyth now fully appreciated the need for haste.

I had managed to persuade Master Bezan to allow us, us being myself and a hand of the others, to accompany Master Topor and his colleagues, Goodmen Ree and Goshie, on a visit to the underground lake. I had the support of the rest of the Assembly members, who I felt wanted to use that as another way of putting Master Topor into his place and wakening him up to the realities of living in our town.

Opportunities like this don't just grow on the shrubs and hedges, as I had forcibly impressed upon Gyth. We five girls and Pomma made up the party of six I had persuaded them to have.

It seems I can be quite persuasive at times.

… … …

“.. hate to be down there without a light! And that's strange too, we had to climb up to get to it, and yet we say 'down there'. How very strange is that?”

Pomma was bubbling and so grateful to have been allowed a glimpse of the underground lake that she couldn't stop talking about it. Bubbling and babbling would be an accurate description of her demeanour at those moments.

Which was quite a problem really.

Because all the other girls were also going on about it, without exception.

Leaving myself out, there were a hand of girls all discussing it in two or three hands of separate conversations, all going on simultaneously.

And we were all in the kitchens at Em's, and we were all preparing the night's meals. Yes, Pomma too.

And then in walked Paivi, Frowka and Venket, and the girls started up over again, explaining what they had seen. The three new girls were most jealous, except maybe Venket who seemed glad not to have gone down into that dark area.

But it was a happy bunch who got the dining underway.

The enthusiasm and fun continued through the night, and we had a most enjoyable evening, reflected in the amount of coin dropped into our pot.

Ah! The Pot.

It was Kords who made the suggestion, and we spent a quarter of a bell finding a safe and unexpected hiding place for it, one that Konna could not have told someone else.

That struck a sour note with me. It was like I was telling everyone they were not trustworthy, which I felt was extremely rude. Maker! It was like putting a lock on your front door. That was telling the world that you don't trust anyone. Fancy having to lock all your stuff away, not being able to trust your neighbours!

Later, as I gathered my thoughts to me and settled down to sleep, I realised that THAT was why the punishments for convicted thieves were usually so harsh. It was not because they stole the goods, as such, but because they stole the TRUST and the RESPECT. And the community was consequently impoverished by their actions, as more and more people became wary and suspicious.

All because of a handful of people too lazy to work for their benefits, and with little or no social conscience.

How awful must be a society acting without such trust and respect.

… … …

I got up the next morning a little earlier than I had been doing so recently, to get in some more of the mostly neglected Tai Chi. I then nibbled quickly on a light breakfast before going off to a full morning of teaching.

Those students had been neglected in recent days, having been put off for all these morning activities that had cropped up. Epp was downvalley of course, and Magser could only do so much, so really today was time for me to re-establish a certain routine.

I idly wondered how I was going to handle adding in the Consociation duties to my already hectic life. But I would need to start gently and see how things go from that gentle start.

When I got into today's classroom, I had a surprise.

Master Magser was there already, with a younger man besides him.

“Good morrow,Mistress Julina. May I present Master Klastik? Master, this is Mistress Julina about whom I have told you much.”

“Master Magser, Master Klastik.”

The younger man addressed me then: “Mistress Julina. I am here as a second teacher after a recommendation from Master Magser to my sponsor down in Tranidor. I am impressed with all that you have set up up here. I had imagined Blackstone to be a remote and lonely place. I arrived on the Shuttle last e'en and the dusk was a spectacular thing to behold. There is a vibrancy here I feel, and there is a theatre company, some music, and much beautiful scenery to enjoy. And now I see there are beautiful women too!”

I reacted as usual.

I blushed.

Deeply.

Which didn't help me conduct my lesson at first. For Master Klastik was a quiet observer in the background, but one of whom I was unwarrantedly aware.

After a while, I got back once more into the swing of things and I managed to forget about the onlooker, who did his part well and did not interrupt. The lessons went well and I was pleased with the praise I got, not just from the students.

I was thinking for some reason about Master Klastik's eyes and his easy smile as I walked to Em's to start the other part of my day. It must have been a bit of a dash, for I remember that my heart was beating a little faster than normal.

And I was much distracted in my thoughts.

So much so that I walked straight into a young stranger.

We bounced off each other and then both sat down with a thump on the boards that formed the street-side walkway.

A rush of other foot-goers helped us to our feet again, and we both apologised to each other. I dusted myself down and scurried on, as rapidly as possible. Still with a strangely elevated heartbeat rate.

But the stranger's eyes had been fascinating too. My mind was flashing between Klastik's and his, trying for some reason to make a preference after making a comparison.

I then found that I was disappointed to not have noticed Klastik's posterior which meant that I could not make a comparison there. The stranger's had been quite … interesting. I found myself squirming slightly.

I shook my head to rid myself of these silly thoughts.

But that proved to be not so simple a task.

I needed to get to work and banish both sets of eyes, and that one posterior, as soon as I could.

… … …

The therapy worked quite quickly, particularly as I was alone for nearly a bell. It was nice actually, and I got a lot done without having to supervise and check others.

They drifted in individually, but all within the same quarter of a bell. Kords was the first and Gyth the last.

It was Kords who started the teasing. The minx had waited, of course, until she had an audience.

“So who is this Madden then, the stranger who came out of the public bathrooms and immediately asked about the redhead who disappeared into a building. A building that was identified by his descriptions as being THIS house?”

I reacted as she knew I would. Sometimes it's very awkward having sisters.

I blushed.

Which lay me open to all sorts of teasing from the gathered throng. My glare seemed to lose its ability to make them melt into the floor.

This went on for some considerable time, until there was a sudden and large commotion in the house. The teasing abruptly halted and we all were trying to think what might have happened outside.

I was about to go and investigate when it, all of a sudden, occurred to me. I realised in a sort of flash what was happening, so I grinned smugly as the others hadn't got there yet. They seemed to be waiting for me to make a move, and when I didn't they hovered in indecision.

But I knew that all would be soon revealed.

Sure enough, and before too long, the kitchen door burst open.

I was the first to react, being as how I was more than half expecting this.

I ran over there and threw my arms around Em.

She was soon buried in an avalanche of girls, and squeals and questions and the like. Our three newest members held back, of course, but the rest of us made such a fuss of her, she eventually laughingly held up her hands and backed into the tightest corner of our domain. Kassama had also squeezed in with us so we were very crowded in that room, I can tell you.

“So,” she said when a relative peace had descended, “what's been happening? Both here in my house and also in the Town? And do I see three new faces here? And not see a missing Molly?”

“Oh Em! These are Paivi, Frowka and Venket. New recruits of only a few days experience. But, for the moment, events here are not of importance. We have time aplenty to tell you all that you wish to know both of here and also of the Town! You shall find out most of that quite easily, I deem. WE want to know all about YOUR trip!”

“No, no! I shall not start immediately with that, we need to sit down and be relaxed – and have a bell or two for that. And lots of Pel.”

She beamed at us all, and that smile got even wider as Kords slid over to heat some drinking water.

She addressed first the newcomers: “I'm sorry, welcome to the team you three girls. My name is Michet and I own this house.” She turned to my sister: “Kords, I can tell you that your Pel is the best in the entire land. They just can't make it right down there. You make it strong enough, down there it is alright, and tastes of something stronger than water, but is far too weak for my tastes. I need a good bath, so Kords would you continue to do the honours please, while Kassama draws the water for me? 'Lina, can you please give me an overview of the town developments that I might mull over them whilst I bathe?

“Then, and only then, shall I feel strong enough to start to tell you of the many marvels we have seen. So, I deem you shall have to be consumed with impatience until, let's say, that bell before serving starts, when I shall be able to begin my tales and you all have the time to attend my words. I would wish to reduce the number of times I shall have to repeat my stories.

“So – 'Lina please tell me what's developed and so on. You usually know most of what goes on around here.”

I took a deep breath and deliberately ran a long list together with very rapid words: “The community hall is just about to be started being used, the new water plans have been drawn up but the water is yet to flow, they are planning a new Miners' Village just next to the 'old' one that wasn't there last year, works have started for the waste water treatment, the Stone Sea road climbs ever upwards, the stone quarry is a major success, the coke plant started with limited production even as the major part is being finished off, the track to the intermediate semaphore station has been widened enough for wagons, but not wide enough for them to pass so passing bays as they call them are being constructed and slowly elongated, a temporary bridge at the bottom of town was built while the old one was taken down and the water channelling extended and then the 'old' bridge was renewed, we have these new members of our team, Molly has left us and works now with B and B, we had a disaster with a woman here, and a strange guest called Topor has arrived, we shall not provide dinners on one night each week, the animals are fine down at the Claw and just as greedy as ever, and there are some other things, I know, but I need to think a bit more when I start breathing again. Oh, and we are starting a Cook's Guild to be called the Consociation of Caterers.”

I finished with a showy bit puffing and panting, which was not quite as necessary as I pretended it to be.

But it was still necessary!

“My word! The Maker only knows enough to make sense of all that! But I see that you have your usual high level of knowledge, and I know you can explain things to me without getting all technical like the men. So while Kords makes her wonderful brew, just pick one subject and give me some more detail. No! Hold! Let ME choose. … I think this new Miners' Village intrigues me most.”

The others all looked satisfied as they settled back to listen to me as I expounded upon my knowledge. The three newcomers looked on in amazement as they began to realise just how close to the Assembly and their plans I sometimes was.

“I had to attend an Assembly meeting yestermorn, to do some scribing, amongst other things, like dealing with that Master Topor. But more of him later.

“Anyway, they wanted to go over everything they wish to tell the Steward upon his return so they discussed the entire Town Planning. They have decided that we shall have need of a market place soon, so they thought the Camping Place would be the best for that, for they see new houses being built between the Community Hall and the Camping Place, and along the sides of East Street.

“So they want to clear the tents out of the Camping Place, so they need to build another Miners' Village just on the Valley Head side of the one that is now over full. They can do that now the water has been found, and has been tested to be usable.

“They also wish to hook up the new water supply into the existing Cistern and then renovate part or all of the existing aqueduct, certainly the bit from the new junction that supplies the Community Hall up to the Cistern. They think that they could then try to modernise the existing Cistern and make it less ugly. Certainly less vast.

“So this is all dependent upon clearing out the residents from the Camping Place. So they need a place to house them. Oh yes, and they are also going to build a new inn, maybe two. Possibly even three, but that third one will depend on how things go this summer of expansion. Many new arrivals here now have no bed to welcome them into.”

Just then, Molly came bustling in - as bustle-lily, as bustlily, as bustly, ok, in as bustling a fashion as she was capable. She straightway hugged Em fondly. Of course, there were then the usual greetings and the repeat from Em about starting her tales later that evening.

Kords brought over the Pel for Em, who sat down to enjoy it after taking a deep and enjoyable sniff of the fragrance. A sniff which again produced a magnificent wide smile, as she closed her eyes and savoured it. She softly purred in appreciation. We all had to smile at her obvious enjoyment.

The moment soon changed though.

My heart sank when Molly turned to me and fixed me in the eye with her cheeky grin and sparkling eyes. I knew that the teasing was about to start again.

“So, my mysterious Mistress Julina, what of this Mystery Man that has appeared in Town and you have already seduced?”

I tried hard to change the subject; “Seduced? I hardly think so. I met him only this morning and then 'twas in my teaching room. He is Master Klastik. He is here to teach, saving Epp and I some duties, for which we shall be grateful. How is Epp by the way, Em? Did she enjoy herself down there in the capital? And what were the other ladies like? Did Sookie and Uncle Brydas have a good time?”

“Mistress Julina,” replied Em, with a knowing twinkle in her own eye, “you shall not divert the talk in such a fashion. I recognise your attempts, but they shall be in vain. I should warn you that I have been trained by some experts while I have been away. As it happens, Epp left us to go into Tranidor, taking one of your Wenders from the East Semaphore Station so she need not enter into our immediate thoughts. Now, you shall come back to the subject in hand, please. Just who is this Master Klastik then, and how have you managed to seduce him quite so rapidly?”

Again that wretched blush.

“Nay, nay!” Molly butted in. “I mean not Klastik, but now I declare I detect an extra tale there, you minx 'Lina. But that shall we leave for now, it shall be returned to I can promise you, but I am currently talking about that wanderer named Madden. He is asking everywhere he can about you, and someone told him where you live. He said he would camp in the orchards by your house.”

The others laughed.

You already know what I did.

I blushed. Ferociously.

I stammered a little and felt the heat begin to leave my cheeks as I launched into an explanation: “I know him not at all. We literally bumped into each other on the side of Main Street. I was thinking of …” I felt myself blush again, which I realised too late was like tossing a meal to the feltren, “... of … something else and I heeded not my passage. He was also elsewhere in his head, I suppose, for he saw me not and we both ended up sitting on our bottoms on the boards. I'm sure I have a huge bruise.”

Even going for the sympathy didn't work.

“Do you tell us? And just what was it you were thinking that distracted you so?”

I blushed again. Oh Maker, please let me stop blushing.

Molly was, is, my best friend amongst my best friends, all of whom were present then, and the oldest of my younger sisters was there too.

Molly and Kords looked at each other, and after a few heartbeats, they simultaneously breathed: “Klastik!”

I guess my guilty look gave the game away, and then the teasing really started in earnest.

Even Em and Kassama, those traitresses, joined in.

And so did the three new girls.

I was lost, and was soon drowning in the teasing, struggling to find something I could use to 'hit' back with.

And then I suddenly had a thought.

“Molly, my dear!” Her face looked worried when she caught my silky tones. The others all perked up their interest. “Just how is it you know so much about this Madden, huh? You have told us that he is penniless, that he prefers sleeping out in the open, that he dislikes large towns, that he works for a while before wandering on again. Were you teasing ME to misdirect attention from YOURSELF, perchance?”

It was her turn to blush and we could all see her thinking quickly.

I had to give her a grudging respect as she came up with some reason quite quickly: “Well, I erm... have … erm … have to … ah yes! I have to write these scenes for the playactors and I needed to understand this character that I might build him into one of our scenarios. I have the words ready for him: 'I'm just a country boy, money have I none, but I've got silver in the stars, and gold in the morning sun.' That is why I know so much about him.”

We all applauded her words, if not the lack of convincement, if such a word exists, with which they were uttered, but 'twas Em who brought the subject back: “I mentioned I can recognise diversions when I hear them! So Molly, what is it about this lad …. ?”

“Er … isn't your bath ready?”


up
177 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ahh.

I see that Julina isn't the only one who's started noticing men here.

Maggie

Beware wanderers

Madden sounds like a classic charming bad boy.

Oh and I must mention

I think Julina is having way too much fun piling on the problems for poor Julina.

Sadly Julina is facing a double barrel problem of being very young looking and being a woman. The newcomer is making the classic mistake of not understanding the lay of the land before acting like a pr**k. I question whether it was merely the wine (whine? ;) ) that made him behave so. In vino veritas?

Must be a rural area as there is so much foot in mouth disease :)

Erm oops

I meant to say our esteemed authoress is having way too much fun piling on ...

Nothing like getting your

Nothing like getting your comeuppance in full sight and view of several hundred customers in a fine dining salon is there Master Topor? Maybe, just maybe, the next time you visit another town, you think twice before opening your mouth and inserting your foot into it right up to the ankle bone. In the famous words of my best friend who, when she got very angry; "I will rip your lips off". I would be surprised if Julina was not thinking along those same lines before Master Torin had not stepped in as he did. And Bully for him in doing so.

Kords too was fully aware

" . . . Kords too was fully aware that my quiet and icy tone meant I was a hairsbreadth away from exploding."

I'm much the same, I'm told. When my voice drops low and quiet, they know loss of life is very near. Hasn't happened yet, but that doesn't guarantee future behavior. As the t-shirt says: Don't piss off an old person. The older we get, the less "life in prison" is a deterrence."


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin