Atalanta at Whateley: School Days Chapters 23

Printer-friendly version

Sorry that I haven't posted but my daddy passed on the day that I posted the last chapter. It has been a surreal week and a half.

Atalanta has tests more tests that raises more questions than they answer. More plans are laid.

red-hair-woman-1600x1200.jpg

Chapter 23

By 7:30 I had showered changed clothing and was out of Poe joining the throng streaming to the cafeteria. Again it was a beautiful, sunny day, chilly but warm for mid December with temps in the 30's. I had received another revised schedule this morning. The 9am hour was reserved for an interview with Louis Geintz in Parapsychology at Kirby Hall, 10am for Circe, and then 11am for another placement test before lunch.

At 8:30 am I left for Kirby Hall for the 9am meeting with Louis Geintz, “Come on in,” he invited me after I knocked on his door, “we need to get started.”

In that interview I let slip the images and feelings I had at old Mr. Hawthorne tree. He seemed amused that I named a tree. But he did pursue the images and asked about other such feelings.

He asked me to recall the events and moves in the fight I had last night with the New Olympians. To my surprise I could plot each move in my mind as it happened like it was déjà vu.

“What do you mean by déjà vu?” He asked looking up from his writing.

“It’s like looking back on it now and when it happened as the same thing.” I saw he was confused and attempted to clarify my explanation.

“I see now the sequence of events has happened before and I just tapped into them; déjà vu or maybe precognition. The same types of things occur when I’m running, jumping, or dodging obstacles; I seem to just know how to shift my body in the air to land lightly ...as if it’s choreographed.”

“All my senses are sharpened, some more than others and in differing ways,” I replied to his question about what I had noticed different with my five senses.

“Describe those changes for me.”

“I don’t have x-ray vision but I can see in low to no light places.”

Geintz looking up from his notebook queried, “How can you see in no light?”

“My sense of smell, hearing, and touch usually combine to send me a report. If it’s a smell that I’ve had contact with, I will recognize it. Hearing will give me a direction and by touch I mean air currents that touch my skin. And remember even in what are termed no light conditions, rules of physics still apply."

“Which means what exactly,” he prompted.

I fidgeted in my seat as this interrogation was becoming tedious, “Darkness is not just the absence of light but another point on the electromagnetic scale. In low light conditions I see in monochrome or black and white. Seeing in darkness takes a similar adjustment.”

“Okay I see,” he beamed while I rolled my eyes at his pun, “go on,” he replied, “anything else you notice that’s different.”

“If I concentrate I can see in a type of micro and macro vision. It is similar to using binoculars at a distance or a microscope with objects up close. At times I see squiggly lines switching between the choices. With some things that I touch I can feel like I’m being watched.”

“What do you mean by being watched? Can you describe the feeling?”

“Like someone peeking over your shoulder, you just feel it, or maybe ...,” I mused as another thought crowded in, “I’m peeking over somebody’s shoulder.”

“Ah, I see, do continue.”

“The only thing worth mentioning is that my sense of smell now includes an ability to detect patterns.” Seeing his quizzical look I added, “It’s like how a forest smells after rain; I can detect a difference from a previous visit; if there in fact is a difference. But I can’t tell you what is missing.”

“Fascinating,” he declared, “but weren’t you already tested for those things, and why are they not noted?”

“A couple of reasons,” I offered, “I’ve had almost two years to get used to my change, and all the latest change has done is to refine my senses. I guess body language plays a part in their evaluation and by now it seems normal to me so there wasn’t anything that was troubling to me. In the lab there is no need or room for the binocular effect. It was a combination of time constraints, them not asking the right questions, and me being comfortable in my skin.”

He looked at me fully before answering, “That seems a likely explanation. I believe you have Circe next and you do not want to keep her waiting.”

Nodding I got up and left, using the map I had been given to find Circe’s classroom and lab I found myself stopped by a gray wall. There was a type of white noise in my ears; this noise was from within me and not coming from the environment.

I again traced the map using my finger as a guide returning to this same place. I suspected this was part of the test. I carefully felt along the wall for any hidden triggers and finding none.

Frustrated I shifted tactics while remembering some advice I was once given; “The answer is within you.”

Images of tropical wet rain-forest environment surfaced along with tents and structures and beds covered with mosquito netting. The webbing was used to keep the unwanted insects at bay.

Looking again at the wall using my near sight the wall blurred until I saw fine strands began emerging from the solid surface, forming a network of interlocking triangles that masked the entrance to Circe’s classroom and lab.

The matrix congealed to resist my efforts to gain entrance. I intensified my energy at my core, seeing pools of it forming and then hesitatingly using one finger lightly touched the web. Immediately it began humming and tension increased along it’s interface.

“Stop,” a voice shouted.

Startled I lost focus and inhaled sharply, and then watched the intricate design disintegrate leaving behind a confused student and an angry instructor.

“Damn, now I have to rebuild that.”

“I’m sorry, I don’t know what happened,” I replied.

Circe bit back the retort on her lips remembering she was the new kid and something of an oddity. She cocked her head, studying the new student, “No I don’t believe you did, but it doesn’t help build a new one. Never mind follow me in.”

I followed her inside and to a table with materials already laid out. Frowning while tapping her cheekbones, Circe mused, “I believe you have some affinity for magic, probably in arcane, hermetic, or runes. I take it you haven’t actually tried to produce any effects through formulas.”

I shook my head, “I hadn’t even thought about magic until last Saturday.”

“You’ll probably start with the Theory of Magic 101 but,” she replied searching through the materials until she found what she was looking for; a teardrop shaped jade pendant with a silver chain passing through a drilled hole in the wide end.

“Jade is prized for its metaphysical properties,” Circe continued handing me the stone, “and it a good starting place for you to play with.”

At my startled look she explained, “Most magic is formed from essence obtained any number of ways: Some through using ingredients or ceremony and others through using objects. Many mages gather and store essence in crystals for later use. This stone is clean or clear of any but natural forces that all crystals share.”

In lecture mode she elaborated further, “I know your magic is reactionary, at least so far, but I don’t know where or how you acquire and store your essence. The nature, and amount you enhance this stone will tell me a lot about whether you use natural magic or use magic naturally.”

Seeing my confused face she continued, “If you can’t enhance the stone in the next week then your type of magic works through recipes or ceremonies. If however, you can charge the stone it will mean you are drawing from your environment. But I don’t want you to do this in any of the buildings on campus as they are all warded and may contaminate the results, if any. In other words I want to eliminate any variables we can. I also want you to take notes when you try this. Something may show up that will help.”

“I believe I understand what you want and I’ll be sure to do my best. Do you suggest any certain time of the day.”

“It’ll best if you can pick a time when you won’t be disturbed and if at all possible the same, or close to the same time each day.”

“Thanks I’ll do just that.” Circe dismissed me and began to rebuild her illusion.

After lunch, Sam intercepted me in front of Crystal Hall as I was leaving to take my placement test in math.
“Change of plans; Mrs. Carson wants us in her office asap.”

“I’m supposed to be taking a test,” I quipped.

“It’ll wait,” she growled, “It’s not nice to keep the Headmistress waiting.” I followed her into Schuster Hall past the receptionist’s desk and to Mrs. Carson’s door. Sam knocked.

“Come in.”

The Headmistress was seated behind her desk; on her left already seated in standard office chairs were Chief Delarose and Gunny Bardue.

Circe and Dr Bellows were seated next to them, then Nikki, and beside her an empty chair. I sat trying to piece things together.

Seeing my confused and concerned look Mrs. Carson smiled reassuringly, “No dear this is not a lynching party. I originally scheduled it for just you, me, and Nikki. Circe called citing an urgent need, and Dr Bellows as your adviser is here to help sort out your schedule. Security is here for two reasons; because of your unusual request to roam the forest as a bounty hunter, and Emanuel R. Black. I believe you know him Nikki is here because she is going to introduce you to the Medawihla tribe later today”

Manny!OMG! Would she be glad to see him? You bet. But he had left before the kidnapping and her 2nd change. Would he see much change?

“Manny! Really! Wow, I'll be glad to see him. But he hasn’t seen me after my latest caper,” I cried.

“No he hasn't,” agreed Mrs. Carson, humming thoughtfully. “Atalanta I want you to understand that we do everything we can here to insure our students’ success. But that is a difficult task with so many varied needs. This meeting is for your benefit. We are hiring Mister Black for several reasons one is that he is at the top of his training and he has recommendations from some very high people, second, he knows you. He will be either security or faculty, maybe both, and can help guide us to better help you.”

“I can't help being a little concerned … about these extra security steps,” I answered defensively, “but,” I continued, smiling to remove the sting from the barb, “I understand why you are doing it, and I do believe you have our best interests at heart, also, I trust Manny with my life.”

But my best interests were not necessarily the schools. Not a biggie but something to file away.

Mrs. Carson noted the plural usage of the pronoun and not the singular. She continued, “From a report Mr. Geintz sent me, and what Circe reported, it seems our powers lab missed a few things on you. Normally that would present a problem as our emerging students have a waiver to travel here, but everyone needs their MID cards issued during combat finals to travel for Christmas. Since you are staying here that won't be a concern. There is a concern with combat training that the MCO might label you a threat and authorize lethal force.”

“Mrs. Carson,” I interrupted, “Mr. O’Reilly has already approved my MMID card. Both my parents were military. Dad died in uniform, and he had his 20+ years in. And MMID's are classified. ”

“You are right, Atalanta you do; I forgot and it'll work better for our purposes. But back to the powers lab based on what Mr. Geintz and Circe reports, we changed your rankings in several categories. One is the Wiz that is bumped up to 4 mainly because,” Mrs. Carson paused a hint of a smile briefly passing her lips; “you’re a danger or accident waiting to happen.” I grimaced as I recalled destroying Circe's door while keeping my head lowered purposefully looking at Nikki.

“So we are looking into hiring a tutor for you in the arcane to help you develop control. Dr. Bellows tells me you are adjusting well to your sex change, and from your initial test results you'll be joining the sophomore class in traditional high school curriculum.

Your mutant based classes are a mixture of basic and advanced. We’ll know more after we come back from Christmas break, but here is a schedule of classes that we believe you will qualify for,” Mrs. Carson continued handing me a sheaf of papers across the desk, “we can't really fill out a schedule yet but this should give you an idea of when what's available. You might try a buddy system for your mundane classes the majority of which are offered between 9am and 2pm.”

Mrs. Carson paused to drink from the water glass beside her. “Atalanta, I don’t feel comfortable leaving you alone here at the school during Christmas break. Ordinarily our security would be enough but since we don’t know exactly how you will interact with the magic on campus and our instructors are leaving too for Christmas I have something else lined up for you.”

“I’ll be tagging along with you?” I asked innocently. Sam remained absolutely still while a tiny shiver shook Delarose and a quick puff of air escaped from between Bardue’s lips. Nikki’s eyes widened and she mouthed a silent, ‘are you crazy.’

“Don’t be absurd,” she retorted, “I’m referring to the Medawihla Reservation. The Tribe owns all the land around here and controls access to the lands and any bounties that maybe offered. Ben and Eloise, the council elders, have agreed to meet with you tomorrow at their home to discuss you staying with them for a few days.”

“Samantha and Nikki will accompany you to and from the village, and most likely next week when you return. You may go,” she finished referring to me and Nikki.

Samantha rose to follow Atalanta but sat back down at Mrs. Carson’s hand wave. A few minutes later her door opened to admit Geintz who sat in the chair vacated by Atalanta.

Mrs. Carson wasted no time coming right to the point, “From the latest reports by Dr. Geintz and Circe, earlier tests done with Atalanta missed a few things.”

“We all knew that Atalanta’s five senses were enhanced; not really all that remarkable because most mutants receive upgrades. What’s unsettling though, the enhancement that was missed despite several examinations and the types of upgrades she received.” Dr. Geintz paused to let his audience absorb his information.

“This next is self reported by Atalanta today and needs to be verified but she can smell patterns, has normal and telescopic and microscopic vision, as well as the ability to screen out colors.”

“I don’t see how being color blind is an advantage.”

“Technically and in a vacuum it’s not, but almost all nocturnal mammals have some type of color blindness that’s due to the overwhelming amount of rods that makes efficient use of low light. The disadvantage is you’re sacrificing acuity but Atalanta seems to be able to compensate by her sense of taste, smell, and hearing. Ever hear of echolocation?”

“Vaguely, isn’t that similar to radar?” Dr. Bellows asked.

“Close enough for our purposes. So what we seem to have here is the ability to shift vision among normal, telescopic, microscopic, and between daylight or nighttime vision as she needs or wants to,” Louis Geintz added.

“I get your point,” Elizabeth Carson replied, “is that all you have?”

“Not quite, she described her moves with the New Olympians as déjà vu; some type of precog ability I’d say.”

“Would you care to guess what triggers her precog or how developed it is?” Mrs. Carson queried.

“The best I can offer is that as a Paragon it is probably tied to her particular skill and that seems to be a warrior.”
The Headmistress nodded thoughtfully before turning to her mystic head: “Circe I believe you have something to add to this discussion.”

“As you know my classroom and labs are hidden; except for my students or from those who can at least sense magic. Most magic users will find the hidden latch or failing that find another class. Until today nobody has shaken my wards apart. I believe she is interacting with a divine magic similar to Kerry Ellison. Kerry’s magic took the form it did because during her formative period she was confined in a church.”

“I take it you believe Atalanta is in her formative period.”

“I do,” Circe conceded, “Kerry’s is and was benign but who knows what Atalanta’s will be? She needs to be carefully guided; especially concerning is the training she has already received.”

up
344 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thankyou

My Condolences on Your Loss Katelyn, I hope Things are better for You. and thankyou for this next chapter in Atalanta's story.i have been looking forwards to it and cannot wait to see what mischief She gets into next.

Matt

She just can't help

from getting into mischief.

And thanks for your thoughts.

Katie

Fascinating

I love this story. So much is a mystery still.

Joanna

Mystery. I like

that name and the image that comes with it. Yes she is a mystery and it will take a while to unravel exactly who she is.

Thanks for reading and your comment and I am glad you like the story.

Katie

Generally, I no longer

Generally, I no longer comment on stories that are posted.
However, I am very sorry to hear of the passing of your father.
My father passed away almost 9 years ago and, although we were never very close, I think of him a great deal.
I hope your memories are ones that you treasure.
Thank you for writing Atalanta.
I enjoy most of the Whateley stories, and this is certainly one of the better non-canon offerings that has been presented.

There are some

great stories in the Whateley universe both canon and non-canon and I am glad that you like it so well. I wanted to have fun with a character and poke a little at Whateley too.

I do have some great memories of my dad.

Katie

Sorry about your father

I was never close with anyone growing up, but wish I had been. I can visualize how tearing it would be to lose someone you cared about. I am sorry for your loss.

Gwen

PS: It seems like the Whately folk are very anxious to daemonize her. She might be a real asset.

Thank you Gwen

we're not a tight knit family as we tend to do our own thing but we do have a shared experience of growing up. And it was a good experience.

I don't know that Whately is trying to demonize her as much as they are puzzled what to do with her. She is both a child and ancient; both innocent and experienced.

Katie

Better and better

Jamie Lee's picture

My condolences on the passing of your dad.

This story keeps getting better and better with each chapter. In this chapter, the staff seem to be more weary of Atalanta then in previous chapters. Seems they're treating her like a bomb that could explode at any minute. Something tells me anyone tangling with her is going to regret it.

Others have feelings too.

Atalanta is a bit

different in a school made from different. She's had two "events" the first almost two years ago. They don't know how much Manny's training is responsible for her skills and how much is the mutation. Or if she is a mutant. And it was one long progression to where it started; from the cabin by the waterfalls to the cabin where she was shot 18 months later. Neither has she been in a controlled school environment in almost two years.

So many unknowns for a society that needs to label everyone and everything.

And thank you for your condolences.

Katie

Katelyn, I am so very sorry

Katelyn, I am so very sorry to hear of your Father's passing. My very sincere condolences to you and yours. Please know that as you cope with this heartbreaking loss in your life, you have friends, either near you or here in BC/TS supporting you by good thoughts and/or prayers. Janice Lynn

Looks like Atalanta is going to really be something else to behold, powers wise, once she finally gets full control of them and she reaches her full age. This is really a great story and I am indeed waiting for the next chapter in it.

I really appreciate

yours and everyone thoughts and prayers. One thing that helps is that death effects everyone; not equally perhaps but money won't buy your way out. Or connections. It might delay it but not escape it. What I mean by that is that others "make-it" through and so will I.

I really had fun writing Atalanta and I hope it is as much fun to read. She'll be "hell-on-wheels" when she starts initiating action instead of responding. In the next chapter or two there is a scene where that happens. You saw a little bit in the fight with Pete in the Boston safe-house and again in an upcoming chapter. I hope I haven't given too much away.

Katie

I really appreciate

all your well-wishes. Dad was 87 and until a little over a year ago he still worked 6 days a week though part-time. He was miserable the last year plus not being able to piddle around. I'll add one thought to it; have a Will and have it on file at the courthouse or with multiple people.

Thanks again

Katie

thanks

for another chapter. sorry to hear about your loss, its been a few years for me but it can still hit you at odd times. take care

Yes it can

I lost my mom 23 years ago.

sorry to hear about your

sorry to hear about your father
thank you for the story enjoying it immensely.
they definitely seem to be paying a lot more attention to Atalanta than any other student who just showed up, don't know if they are trying to stay ahead of any perceived problems because of all the trouble she had getting there or what

I'm glad you enjoy it

and they are concerned because Atalanta is a big question mark.

And I appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you Dorothy

hugs appreciated.

Hopefully...

Andrea Lena's picture

...you're gaining some measure of peace and solace. My condolences over your loss.

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Thank you Andrea

for your condolences. Yes I have peace that comes from Jesus and that helps a lot especially the aftermath.

Potential

Tas's picture

So it looks like Atalanta has the potential to be absurdly powerful.

Cool.

-Tas