Education in the Hills - chapter 36

Printer-friendly version

Hills_title.jpg


How much trouble can a Munchkin get into?
When she's been doing her best at impersonating an angel.

I would like to thank my dear friends,
Angel O’Hare, Karen Page, Joni W., Annette MacGregor and Holly H Heart
for their kindness, help, support, and input.


Education in the Hills
Chapter 36


By Penny Reed Cardon

Monday, January 31, 2005

As we were leaving our first class of the day my PDA beeped, indicating a change in our schedules. A moment later Mary Beth's PDA beeped, as well. I looked around to see if any other PDA's were going to follow along. When all the other PDA’s remained silent I looked to see what the change was. Suddenly, Mary Beth slapped my shoulder.

"What's that for?" I asked. Then I realized what the schedule change was.

"Did you get us into trouble again?" Mary Beth demanded.

"No I didn't get us into trouble. I wonder what he wants," I replied.

"What does who want?" Hope asked.

"Mr. Peterson, that's who," Mary Beth answered sharply.

"So, you are in trouble," George said, as our group split apart, entering the restroom of their choice.

"I'm telling you, Mary Beth. I haven't linked to any system outside school all weekend," I said, as I entered a stall and closed the door.

"Uh ha, so why would Mr. Peterson want to see both of us. I'm sure you did something wrong, you just don't want to admit it."

"I'm telling you, whatever it is, I didn’t do it," I adamantly complained, while washing my hands.

"Matilda, you might as tell her. She's going to know as soon as you sit down in Mr. Peterson's office," Em added.

"But I really didn't do anything," I replied, as we went back out into the hall.

Jenny came by and placed her hand on my shoulder, two fingers touching the skin of my neck. "Matilda is speaking the truth. She has not been doing anything naughty this weekend. However, I think she does know why Mr. Peterson would want to see both her and Mary Beth."

"You think you know?" I asked Jenny.

"I do not know, but I sense that you do in fact know why. You must trust your instincts." With that Jenny smiled and removed her hand.

"Edinburgh," I thought aloud, with a heavy sigh.

"What's Edinburgh? Barb asked.

"Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland," Mary Beth replied. "They want the Munchkin to go to Edinburgh with RJ. It has something to do with that special PDA of hers and new PDA's for the school."

"Really," Aaron asked, in great surprise. "You? Not someone from Years G or H? That's . . . That's unheard of, it's ridiculous, it's wild even, but it's also such a huge honor."

"I'm not looking for any honors. I told Mr. Peterson I'd go, if they arranged for MayBee to come along. They wouldn't force me to go alone and break my promise to her, would they?"

"I would say that it is highly unlikely. You would be angry, your mind would be back here with Mary Beth, and so you would not do your best work. If it is your particular expertise they want, the trip would be a waste of time, money, and resources," Jenny theorized.

"Whatever he wants, I guess we'll know exactly what it is in a couple of hours, after our next class," I concluded, as we entered our classroom.

- - -

"Come In." We heard immediately after I knocked on the office door. Opening the door, we found Mr. Peterson sitting in the overstuffed chair next to the couches in the corner of his office.

"See, we're not in trouble," I said to Mary Beth, as we crossed to a couch.

"This time," she shot back.

"Who said you were in trouble?" Mr. Peterson inquired.

"After you sent for both of us, well, let's say there was some speculation among the Black Sheep," I replied, as we sat down.

"I'm not aware of you getting into trouble. Have you done something in the last two days that I don't know about?"

"No sir"

"Good enough for me. Let's talk about Edinburgh."

"Looks like you were right," Mary Beth told me.

"She was right about what?" he asked.

"About her not being in trouble and that you might pressure her into going, to Edinburgh," Mary Beth explained.

"Well, I too am glad that Matilda's not in any trouble. As for pressuring her to accompany RJ to Edinburgh, there's no pressure needed, she is going. We just have a few details to work out. Such as, all of your free time for the next two weeks will have to be devoted to learning to understand, and hopefully having the ability speak with a bit of a Scottish barogue."

"Scottish barogue?" Mary Beth questioned.

Mr. Peterson tapped a few keys on his PDA, and some strange noises came out. I was pretty sure that they were made by a human, but I wouldn't place a wager on it.

"Mr. Peterson, I haven't made noises like those since I was two," Mary Beth complained.

"It is a bit hard to understand, without some previous knowledge of the language and dialect," he agreed.

"So what's Mary Beth supposed to do, while I'm learning to understand Scottish?" I asked.

"Take the lessons with you, of course. That way you'll have each other to practice with," he replied.

"And what about while I'm gone, are you planning to keep her sedated in the hospital the whole time?"

"Matilda, who said anything about sedation? Mary Beth will be awake and I'm sure she will enjoy being your traveling companion."

"My what?"

"Matilda, did you ,or did you not tell me you had made a promise not to leave this campus without Mary Beth?"

"Yes I did, but I didn't expect the S. P. A. to spend so much just so I could keep my promise."

"Matilda, from the short time we've known each other, I've come to know that you're an exceptional young lady. You're willingness to help others and your almost flawless sense of honesty combine to make you the very special person you are. I would never be party to, or allow anyone else, to take those qualities from you. Besides, the price of a few airline tickets and some extra meals, doesn't even qualify as a pin-prick in the twenty Million that was mysteriously discovered by the schools accounting staff. There may yet be some fallout because of some unofficial action taken by a few of our students, but we'll address that if, or when, it happens."

"So, I'm going with her?" Mary Beth asked excitedly.

"Isn't that what I just said?" Mr. Peterson replied.

"After unmercifully bludgeoning some poor, unsuspecting, and defenseless shrubbery," I teasingly added.

Mary Beth looked at me with an expression of confusion, finally saying, "Yeah, whatever she said."

I put my arm around Mary Beth, explaining, "Yes, you're going with me to Edinburgh and Mr. Peterson did say so. However, he did so in a manner that would normally be described as 'Beating around the Bush'."

"Oh. Yeah, I knew that," she agreed.

"I guess the question I have to ask," Mr. Peterson continued. "Exactly who will be going? You'll be leaving on February Sixteenth, so there's isn't much time to work on a presentation you're not comfortable with."

"What do you mean, who is going?" Mary Beth asked.

"Well, when the school goes on a field trip, everyone goes as they are presenting when the announcement is made. For this trip you are free to choose your presentation."

"I really don't like appearing as Jeffrey. I can do so if needed, but I don't enjoy it and I don't look forward to being Jeffrey," I replied softly.

"I'm definitely more comfortable as myself," Mary Beth added.

"It's settled then, Mary Beth Phelps and Matilda Rachael McNeil. We already have a passport for you, Mary Beth. We'll have to put together a passport for Matilda."

"What about the passport they used for me when we were going to - - Wait, never mind. That was for Sally, not Matilda."

"Quite correct. Next question Matilda, in the passport picture we have for you, your hair is brown and fairly long. Currently, you're wearing a very cute, blonde, pixie cut. Is that the hair color you'd prefer?

"This is my hair," I beamed. "I'm glad it's finally long enough to do something with it. I can't wait for it to grow down to my shoulders."

"I'll take that as a yes then, to the blonde hair. So I'll need to arrange for new passport pictures and to make reservations for three, from Salt Lake to Edinburgh, and back."

"Mr. Peterson, in light of all the abuse scandals in the press lately, don't you think one male teacher with two female students, might seem a little strange?" I asked.

"Are you saying Jeffrey and Hunter should be going?"

"No, that would be about the same."

"If not worse," Mary Beth added.

"So, what are you suggesting, Matilda?" Mr. Peterson asked.

"I was thinking, there should be at least two adults, when an overnight stay is part of the trip. That would provide better protection for the students, better protection for the adult chaperons, and most importantly, better protection for the school, against an unnecessary media scandal."

"Hmm, point well taken. Impressions and appearances, are sometimes vastly over played by the press, in order to create headlines that will sensationalize the stories, when in fact, there is no story at all. Do you have any suggestions for a second chaperon?"

I looked at Mary Beth, "Do you have any preference?"

"M, Me?" she eloquently stuttered. Quickly pulling herself together she added, "As long as I'm not left behind, while you go gallivanting off to the other side of the plant, I'm good with who else goes along."

I thought for a moment before adding, "Well, I also have no preference to a secondary chaperon. What puzzles me is, who and why, why is someone so insistent that I make this trip. Not to mention, wondering what will be expected of me."

"As for who, at least three of the people you gave a presentation to several weeks ago. As for why, RJ will brief you later. What will be expected of you is simple, it is expected that you do what comes naturally, that you do your best, and have fun doing it. You do what they're expecting you to do and you'll have earned the motto that some of the older years refer to you with." Mr. Peterson explained.

"Motto, what motto, I haven't heard anything about a motto. What are they saying about me?"

"I don't know the exact wording, but I believe it goes something like this, 'You shouldn't underestimate the Munchkin'."

"What! Where did you hear that? MayBee, did you start that one?"

"Me?" Mary Beth exclaimed, as she backed away. "I had nothing to do with it, I swear. It does sound like a good motto, 'You shouldn't underestimate the Munchkin'. I might have started something like that if I'd thought of it, I like it."

"Well I don't. Makes me out to be some kind of genius or something, and it's just not true. There are lots of people smarter than me."

"That may be Matilda, but you're still one of a kind," Mr. Peterson said adding his compliment.

I grumbled some more; we bid farewell to Mr. Peterson; and headed to the cafeteria, and lunch.

"So, are you in trouble again," George asked.

"George, you wouldn't believe how much trouble she's in," Mary Beth replied quickly, before I had a chance to say anything. "And this time she's dragged me into it as well."

"Well give, let's hear all the details," Morgan pleaded.

Knowing that we weren't in any trouble and hearing her reply to George, I quickly figured out she planned on stringing the Black Sheep out as tight as possible.

Playing it up as much as possible, I answered Morgan, "Morgan, it's . . . It's just too . . . It's just something that we can't talk about right now. This isn't something we can discuss in public. You'll have to wait until tonight, in the lounge, to discuss our latest tale of woe."

"Not to mention that this is so hush, hush, that no one outside of Year A can know about it," Mary Beth added softly.

Everyone's eyes were as large as golf balls. Forks had stopped halfway between plates and gaping mouths. Everyone appeared to be in shock, astounded by what little we told them and what their imaginations were screaming at them. Mary Beth and I were squeezing each other’s hand, under the table, to help us keep from cracking. Eventually, Aaron came to our rescue, "Okay, everyone can stop pretending to be mummified and finish their lunch. We'll get all the news later."

While I was looking the other way, Jenny reached over and took my hand. As always, her touch had a calming effect on me. As I looked into Jenny's eyes, I saw something there I'd never seen before. I pulled my hand away, but Jenny and I continued to stare at each other. Or, perhaps she was trying to see through me. Either way, it was a spooky sort of feeling. Eventually, both Jenny and I came out of our mutually induced trance. Mary Beth was asking me what was wrong and Aaron was asking Jenny the same thing.

"I'm fine, MayBee, there was just something different about how Jenny touched me," I replied first.

"I too am fine," Jenny finally replied. "I felt something in Matilda that I have never felt before. It was very strange, the best description I can give is, confusion. I do not know what it means, it was most disturbing."

"Well, I for one think they should both be seen by Dr. Harris and then by their support person. For several seconds they were both white as sheets," Malcolm, our visiting psychiatrist, insisted.

Well, so much for our afternoon class, at least for the four of us. Dr. Harris checked out Jenny and me, while our partners waited in the lobby. No mummifying gown, but we were checked out in every other way possible. Dr. Harris even went so far as to have Jenny hold my hand. I was expecting it this time, so I was able to control my thoughts and there were no surprises.

Finding nothing, Dr. Harris released us to go back to class, with the understanding that we were to see our individual psychiatrist. Being released to go back to class was pretty much pointless. We'd missed computer studies and most of English. The only thing left for the day was study hall, dinner, family home evening, visit Rachael, and choir practice. 'We're so busy, when are we going to have time to learn Scottish?'

"How long do you think we can keep them guessing," I asked Mary Beth, the first time we were alone.

"I don't know. The simple fact that we made it through lunch, was a huge success. We should try to string them along as long as we can."

"I'll go along with that, but sooner or later we'll have to explain what I'm supposed to have done. It can't be something easy or something that has been done before, they'll see right through any lame offense."

"Oh, you're right about that. I hadn't thought that far ahead when I started this little charade. Hey, I wonder, do you think, oh I don't know, he might do it, but what if he won't. There is the chance to get one over on the Black Sheep, of course I don't know if he's into that sort of thing, then again he might help us just for fun, -"

"MayBee, what on earth are you trying to say? Who might help us and why?"

"Mr. Peterson of course. I'm not sure what direction his sense of humor runs, but he might help come up with an offense against the school that would warrant a temporary relocation. You said there were other schools."

"MayBee, you're brilliant. I'll send him a note to see if he'll see us just before dinner."

- - -

"Come in."

"Well, well. Twice in one day. Is this a good thing or bad?" Mr. Peterson jokingly asked, as we entered his office.

"In this case I'd say it’s a good thing. We were wondering if you could help us put one over on the rest of the Black Sheep?" Mary Beth explained.

Mr. Peterson's eyes lit up, as we explained what we'd said during lunch. He even chuckled, as we described what we wanted.

After thinking about our request for a little while, Mr. Peterson came up with an idea, “I think what this calls for is a breach of security.”

“A breach of security? That’s a little extreme don’t you think?” Mary Beth asked.

“That would be hard to contain, wouldn’t it Mr. Peterson?” I asked. “The rumors would spread quickly and half the students would be scared half out of their minds.”

“Oh, not a serious breach of security, such as would require a relocation of the school. Just a little breach, that would prompt an investigation and inspection by the Utah State Board of Education,” he replied.

“The Board of Education? Why would they be involved?” I asked.

“Well, we are a school Matilda. And we do teach children within the state of Utah. Therefore, we fall under the jurisdiction of the Utah State Board of Education, and from time to time they inspect our facility, curriculum, and teachers, just like any other school in the state. Now then, let me explain what I had in mind.”

Mr. Peterson quickly outlined what he thought would be a good cover for pulling the wool over the Black Sheep’s eyes. We spent about fifteen minutes expounding and refining his idea, until Mary Beth and I felt we could keep up the charade, until we left for Edinburgh.

"You saw Mr. Peterson again?" George asked, after we'd collected our food and sat down for dinner.

"Twice in one day, that must be some kind of record," Morgan stated.

"They were both for the same reason. This meeting was just an update on the situation," Mary Beth explained.

"What situation?" Hope inquired.

"As we indicated at lunch, the situation is something we can't discuss in public. If word of this got out, it could cause school wide panic," I elaborated as well as throwing more fuel on the fire.

Mary Beth and I have thirty minutes of free time before choir practice, on Monday evenings. As we were leaving the hospital, after visiting Rachael, we found ourselves being escorted to the year lounge by half of the Black Sheep. 'I believe the actual term is Frog Marched, as if we were prisoners on our way to the gallows.' When we arrived at the lounge, we were slightly surprised to find our customary couch in the center of the room, it normal sits against the West wall, just to the North of a window.

"Is there a problem?" Mary Beth asked, as we sat down.

"Yes there's a problem, you're hiding things from us," Wally complained.

"Yeah, it's always been us against everyone else and now you're keeping things from us," added George.

"The whole school is buzzing about something," Barbara joined in.

"It seems like you've told everyone except us and we want to know why," Howard concluded.

"Honestly, we haven't told anyone anything about what's going on," Mary Beth started.

"I can only assume that someone from Years B or C overhead our conversation at lunch and follow up at dinner. I'm sure with what little they heard, their imaginations ran wild," I continued.

"And so did their tongues," Mary Beth added.

"So you haven't told anyone?" Em asked.

"No one," I replied.

"This could still work out in our favor," George said.

"Yeah, the rest of the school could be buzzing with the wrong information," Howard added.

"And we'll be the only ones that know the truth," Vikk continued.

"Except we don't know the truth," Misa complained.

"Hey, that's right. All right you two, out with it," George commanded.

"Right now we can't give you the whole story," I started, being careful not to use the word truth. "Because, right now we don't know how the story will end."

"That's right," Mary Beth continued. "It may be several weeks before we know the conclusion of what started last Friday."

"Last Friday," Aaron repeated. "Are you telling us that something happened last Friday while we were out?"

"Yes," I stated simply.

"Matilda was recognized," Mary Beth continued.

"She was what?" Em asked.

"Recognized?" Barb questioned.

"Recognized by who?" Hope asked.

"That would be, by whom?" Jenny corrected.

"Who or whom doesn't matter right now," Em stated excitedly.

"No, what matters is what are they going to do?" Hope demanded.

Everyone was quite, waiting for a reply to their questions.

"Yes, I was recognized. The who, was one of the girls that went to Mary Beth's birthday party," I started.

"She's also someone that knows that the Matilda at my party was really Matt made up to pass as a girl," Mary Beth continued.

"She also knows that Mary Beth's mother went ballistic when she found out the truth about me." I sadly added.

"And she told your mother that you and Matilda are attending the same school?" Barb asked.

"Are your parents going to pull out?" Hope asked.

"What would that do to the rest of us?" Abbey wanted to know.

"Not just about us, what about the school?" SueAnn inquired.

"Are they going to relocate the school again?" Jenny asked

"Please, we don't know all the answers," I complained. "We don't know if Mary Beth's mother was told anything."

"I don't think the girl that recognized Matilda will say anything to my mother. In the months between my birthday party and us coming here, she was one of the few girls that would talk with me after my party," Mary Beth explained. "What I found strange about our conversations, what little there was of them, she seemed more interested in how Matt was able to be so convincing as a girl. I almost suspected that she knew someone who was transgender and she was trying to help them."

"All we know for sure is, that I was recognized. Some inquiries were made at Whittier about me, where I came from, and where I was going to school. Fortunately, the folks at Whittier told them that they didn't know anything about me, or the school, where all the girls came from," I added.

"Then they went to the Utah State Board of Education. They're asking about an ‘all-girls’ school, trying to find out where Matilda's attending school," Mary Beth concluded.

"But, we're not an ‘all-girls’ school," Howard stated.

"Exactly. That's why Mr. Peterson doesn't think anything will come of the investigation. Regardless, his contacts in the board of education are keeping a close eye on the progress of the investigation," I told them.

"Investigation, what are they investigating?" Deanna asked.

"The inquiry to the board of education was looking for an ‘all-girls’ school that is accepting transgender girls as students," I elaborated.

"But we're not an ‘all-girls’ school!" Howard repeated.

"We know, Howard," Barb, SueAnn, and Misa chorused.

"So, what do we do now?" Tina asked.

Calmly I stated, "Right now, we go to choir practice. Tomorrow, we attend our classes and in every other way carry on with our lives as if nothing, out of the ordinary, is going on."

"And above all, we keep this to ourselves," Mary Beth added.

~ ~ ~

As we finished reading our scriptures, a horrible thought flashed across a dozen or more neurons in my brain.

"MayBee, quick, run and get dressed, we have to go out right now," I commanded. "How could I have been so stupid? We've got to talk with them right away."

"Get dressed? We just got ready for bed."

"It doesn't matter, we have to go and right now. Leave your pajamas on, just put on a pair of pants and dress your feet. Your coat will cover everything else," I told her, as I ran into my closet.

"But it's after curfew, we're not supposed to be out of our rooms."

"Doesn't matter, we'll beg for forgiveness later," I called out, as I was getting dressed.

"Munchkin, what's so important, who do we have to talk to?"

"Beca and Lizy," I stated, as I sat down to put on my shoes and socks.

Mary Beth almost turned white, as she realized what I was talking about.

"You're so right." She jumped up and headed for her room.

"I'll be ready in four minutes." She added, as she went through the interconnecting door.

"Better send them a note, so they'll be ready to receive guests," she called out from her closet.

Quickly I sent a note to Beca;

Beca, are you and Lizy in your rooms?

~ ~ ~

Yes we are, why?
~ ~ ~

MayBee and I need to talk with you both.
~ ~ ~

Can't it wait until morning?
~ ~ ~

Too important. We'll be there in five minutes.
~ ~ ~

You know it's after curfew.
~ ~ ~

Wouldn't be the first time I've been in trouble.
~ ~ ~

And probably won't be the last.

Mary Beth was ready by then and we took off. Once we were outside of our building we ran to Beca and Lizy's dorm. Quietly we approached Beca's door and gently knocked.

The door opened and Beca hurried us inside, "Get in here quick, before someone sees you." Once the door was closed she asked, "Do you know how much trouble you two will be in if someone catches you out this late?"

"Probably, not very much," I said. "Being that were here to offer aid and comfort to another student."

"Munchkin, what are you talking about?" Beca asked.

Tactfully, I answered a question with a question, "How's Lizy?"

"She's kind of upset right now, there's been - wait, you already knew she was upset. How did you know?"

"That's why we're here. I'm assuming she's in her room, is she decent?"

"Just a minute," Beca said, as she slipped into Lizy's room.

We waited patiently for Beca's return. It was about five minutes before the door swung open and Beca appeared, supporting Lizy. Quietly they crossed to the couch and sat down.

"Mary Beth, why don't you get the computer chair," I whispered in her ear.

Meanwhile, I sat on the edge of the coffee table, directly in front of Lizy.

"Lizy," I started softly. "I want to apologize for causing you such grief. I only realized a few minutes ago that the current rumors would cause you this much pain. For that we're both truly sorry."

"Munchkin, what are you talking about," Beca asked.

"I'm talking about the rumors that are circulating around the school about a security breach, an inspection of the school, and a possible relocation. Those rumors were started because of us. When I realized the pain they would cause to you and Lizy we came right over, to explain. I wouldn't have been able to sleep knowing that Lizy was in such pain."

"Wh…what d…do y…you me…mean," Lizy stuttered.

"Last Friday, Mr. Peterson asked me to go to Edinburgh with RJ. I explained to him that I couldn't leave the school without MayBee. If I did, she would probably look and feel like you do right now."

"Worse," Mary Beth added.

"Anyway, this morning Mr. Peterson scheduled a meeting with both of us, just before lunch. They still want me to go to Edinburgh with RJ. They want me bad enough that they're willing to have MayBee come along for the ride, and maybe to help keep me out of trouble."

"That's great, Munchkin. But what does that have to do with the rumors?" Beca asked.

"When we caught up with the Black Sheep for lunch they wanted to know what kind of trouble we were in. We weren't in trouble, but it seemed like a good prank to pull, so we let them think we were in trouble. Then one thing led to another and before we knew what was happening, there was a giant snowball rolling down the hill and we weren't able to stop it."

"So, there's no security breach?" Lizy asked, obviously feeling better.

"No security breach." I reaffirmed.

"No inspection?" Beca asked.

"Well, the state board of education does have the right to come and inspect the school, the teachers, and the curriculum. However, they usually call and schedule their visits and Mr. Peterson isn't aware of any scheduled inspections," I replied.

"And no relocation?" Lizy asked, as if she were pleading.

"Definitely no relocation," Mary Beth replied.

"So how did the rumors get started?" Beca wanted to know.

To answer Beca's question, Mary Beth and I went over the details and the order of the different conversations as they took place. By the time we had finished the tale, Lizy was feeling much better and I felt like I would be able to sleep, now that we'd corrected a horrible misunderstanding.

"We better get going, I'm falling asleep," Mary Beth informed me.

As we got up to leave, Beca checked the time. She whispered something in Lizy's ear and Lizy nodded.

"Wait a second," Beca said, as we reached the door. "It's almost midnight and you two will be in so much trouble if someone sees you. For tonight, I'll sleep with Lizy and you two can share my bed. You don't have a problem sharing a bed, do you?"

"Eeewwww, I can’t believe you are suggesting that I should sleep with a Munchkin?" Mary Beth squealed teasingly.

"I don't know, these beds are so small. I guess we could share, it would be such a hardship being crammed in with MayBee. Are you sure it will be okay with the management to double up like this," I teased back.

Beca was giggling, as she was one of the few people that knew we'd been sleeping together since we were at Primary Children's together. "We don't have any pajamas that will fit you. So, I guess you'll have to sleep in your clothes."

"Not a problem," I said, as I took off my coat revealing a pink pajama top. Kicking off my shoes, I dropped my pants to reveal a long pair of pajama bottoms.

Mary Beth followed my lead, revealing the short pajamas she was wearing earlier.

"Well, were you two planning on spending the night?" Lizy asked, with a giggle.

"No, we’d already gotten ready for bed and were just in a hurry to get over here. I realized that you needed to know the situation and we didn’t want to waste any time changing, again," I explained.

"Okay. We'll leave you two to get some sleep," Beca said, as they got up and went into Lizy's room, closing the door as they passed through.

"We'd better get some sleep. I think tomorrow is going to feel like a long day," Mary Beth prodded.

"I'll agree with you on that. Missing out on two hours sleep will take its toll on us, by the end of the day.

After taking care of last minute details in the bathroom and setting my PDA alarm for fifteen minutes earlier, we climbed into bed and quickly fell asleep.

Tuesday, February 1, 2005

The alarm went off and we groggily slid out of bed. Quickly taking turns in the bathroom, we slipped on our clothes and headed back to our dorm and a warm shower. Running around at 6:45 in the morning, amid several feet of snow, was definitely an awakening experience.

"Did I see you two out jogging early this morning?" Abbey asked, Mary Beth and I, when we entered the year lounge for the Pilots Briefing.

"Jogging?" Mary Beth repeated.

"Yes, good, we were out jogging," I confirmed. After all, we were moving quickly as we raced back to our rooms.

"But, she's not going to talk me into that again, at least not until the temperature is well above freezing," Mary Beth complained, adding realism to the story.

As we were leaving our first class of the day my PDA beeped, indicating a change in our schedules. A moment later Mary Beth's PDA beeped, as well. I looked around to see if any other PDA's were going to follow along. When all was quiet I shook my head, mumbling, "Not again?"

"Well, at least it isn't Mr. Peterson this time," Mary Beth commented.

"Who wants to see you now?" Aaron asked.

"Today its Ellen that has requested our presence," I replied, after I'd checked my PDA.

"Good morning, Ellen." I cheerfully greeted, after being granted admittance to her office.

"Good morning ladies. Have a seat on a couch and I'll be with you in just a moment."

Mary Beth almost ran over me as I stopped abruptly. We were sure someone knew we'd broken curfew and had been called in to face the music. Now, being directed to a couch took us by surprise. We quickly recovered, and after making a quick U-turn, made it to our customary couch.

Mary Beth leaned down and whispered, "I was sure this would be about last night and we'd be in sitting in the straight back chairs."

I agreed by nodding, then added, "Well, just play it by ear and see what she wants."

"That's all taken care of," Ellen said, as she sat down. "So, I'm all yours."

There was an uncomfortable silence for a moment, before I started, "Um, you called us."

"Yes I did. I'd like you to answer some questions I have."

"We'd be happy to," I replied.

"If we can," Mary Beth added.

"Terrific. Now then, with the rumors that were going around the school yesterday I had the life signs monitors turned on in several of the student’s rooms. I was called just before Elizabeth's life signs indicated she was to cross from extremely agitated into full panic mode. We had an intervention team ready move, when something unexpected occurred, two more life signs appeared on the monitors. Shortly thereafter, the four individuals met together in one room and over the next hour Elizabeth's life sign returned to normal. Do you know who those other individuals could have been?"

"Ellen, is it written somewhere in a psychiatrist rule book to ask questions that you already know the answers to?" I asked, smiling slightly.

Ellen was silent for several seconds before asking, "I'm not sure I understand, Matilda."

"When the second set of life sings appeared, either you or someone in the room checked the locator system. Within a few seconds you knew that it was Mary Beth and I that had entered Beca's room. If I'm correct, what you really want to know is what did we say to Lizy that helped her calm down, correct?"

"Yes, you are correct. However, there's a right way to be right and there's a wrong way to be right. So, would you two like to explain why you were with Rebecca and Elizabeth after curfew, what was discussed and why?"

"We know about the rumors, Ellen, they were started because of us," Mary Beth started to explain.

"They were started because of you, I don't understand?" Ellen interrupted.

"You know about them wanting me to go to Edinburgh with RJ?" I asked.

"Yes, they checked with me. They wanted my opinion on you mental state and your ability to focus on a single task."

"Did you know that Matilda refused to go unless I went along?" Mary Beth added.

"I wasn't aware of that. What's the reason for that decision?"

We briefly explained to Ellen the panic attack Mary Beth experienced when she and I first met with Mr. Rothman, the previous week.

"I wasn't aware there was an ongoing problem. I guess we have something to work on. So, how does that relate to the rumors that are currently circulating the school?"

"Yesterday morning Mr. Peterson sent us a meeting request to inform us that Mary Beth was approved to go on the trip with me," I continued.

"That shouldn't cause any rumors."

"But you're forgetting one thing, the Black Sheep," Mary Beth added.

"I still don't understand." Ellen shook her head.

"Because Mr. Peterson asked to see us both at the same time the Black Sheep assumed we were in trouble," I explained.

"And when we met them for lunch, I sort of let them continue thinking we were in trouble. I thought it would be a good joke to play on them," Mary Beth added.

Over the next half hour we went over the whole thing again, adding the trip to Beca and Lizy's room and spending the night, so we won't be out on the grounds so far after curfew.

"Well, that's quite the tale. I commend your thinking of others and your quick response to help a fellow student. Also, there's no problem with spending the night in another students room. It's not something we encourage, but as long as everyone observes the school rules, there isn't a problem. After all, we are not a brothel."

"Oh no, everyone was appropriately dressed at all times," I assured Ellen.

"However, being that were not in trouble, we now have another problem. We have to explain why we were called to your office," Mary Beth complained.

"Oh, MayBee's right. The Black Sheep will want to know why you wanted to see us outside our normal time."

"Well, let's see, your current cover story is that you were recognized and that there may be a security breach. I suppose that continuing along that line will be the thing to do. Let's just say that I needed more detailed information about the events that occurred last Friday. Also to add some spice, we can say that there is an unofficial search being conducted of the various girl’s schools in the region," Ellen suggested.

"More details and confirmation that a search is being conducted, that works. It should be enough it keep the rest of the Black Sheep guessing and speculating for several days," I commented.

"Yes, that's perfect," Mary Beth agreed. "Now all we have to do is get called to either Mr. Peterson or your office every two to three days. A little bit more information each time and we'll keep them guessing until we leave for Edinburgh."

"Well, I can arrange to see you every few days. I won't be interrupting a class in the future, but I think something can be arranged," Ellen offered.

"Ellen, there's one thing I've been wondering. Is there anyone else that we should go explain everything to, like Elizabeth? I wouldn't want to be the cause of someone’s pain," I asked.

"Let's see, humm, not that I'm aware of at this time, but I'll keep your offer in mind. Before you leave I have something to show you. I recorded this yesterday evening." Ellen then turned on the television in the corner and started a play back from a DVR recorder.

"Good evening, this is your Eye Witness News at six."

"Tonight's top story is actually a continuation of a story that we covered last November, about a raid on an Estate in West Valley. At that time, when the police raided the Estate, they found twelve children in what has since been called a child sex dungeon. At that time we reported that the person or persons who actually set up and ran the dungeon could not be located. Most of our viewers were horrified that something like that could even exist, let alone exist in Salt Lake Valley. We base that statement on the number of calls, letters, and E-Mails we received after the story aired.

"Tonight's story is even more horrific, in that not one but three more of these child sex dungeons have been identified, simultaneously raided, and have now been shut down. One was located in Ogden, one in Provo, and a new one in Salt Lake Valley. All totaled, fifty children have been rescued. They will be returning to their families after being released from the various medical facilities, where they're being treated.

"Authorities all along the Wasatch Front are gathering to compare their open case files against the records recovered from the three locations. It hasn't been confirmed, but authorities from Ogden, Salt Lake, and Provo believe that most of the unresolved kidnapping cases, for the last four years, can now be closed.

"When we asked how these dungeons were located, we were told a very strange story that I'm not sure I believe, but here it is, according to the Salt Lake County, District Attorney. Last Wednesday, he received detailed information that identified the persons who were ultimately responsible for the facility in West Valley, from an anonymous preteen informant. The informant was reported to be a student from a school, located somewhere in the region. The information was found to be credible and acting on that information, the Walter Santino family, of Salt Lake City, were arrested, just after twelve noon last Friday. Records found at the Santino home confirmed that all three members of the family had active parts in the setup and operation of the various facilities. Also found at the Santino home, were three young girls. They have been identified as Susan Roskelley, age 6, of Cedar City, Margaret Sanchez, age 9, of Elko, Nevada, and Sylvia McDonald, age 8, of Idaho Falls. All three had been reported as kidnapped within the last fifteen days. The families of the three girls were notified Friday afternoon of the rescue. After the tearful reunions the families agreed to allow us to release the girls names.

"Walter Santino, comes from the Chicago Santino's and was under investigation by federal authorities, when he and his family disappeared five years ago. It has been confirmed that the Santino family have been living in a quiet subdivision Southwest of Liberty Park for the last four and a half years.

"June Santino has a degree in chemical engineering from Harvard and is reportedly the creator of the memory erasing drug, called Lights Out. Their son, who was attending school masquerading as a ten-year-old, is actually fifteen. He is reported to be rather small for a fifteen-year-old. Undoubtedly, taking after his mother, who at thirty-five is only four feet nine inches tall. According to the recovered records, young Mr. Santino was personally responsible for the kidnapping of thirty young girls through the use of candy laced with a drug that compelled the girls to follow his commands. Because of the number of charges against young Mr. Santino, The District Attorney's office is requesting that he be tried as an adult, having full knowledge of his actions and mental faculties.

"At this time, we don't have any information concerning hearings or trial dates. One of our reporters was in court when bail was set at one million for each suspect, however, we have confirmed that at this time all three members of the Santino family are still being held in custody. Mr. And Mrs. Santino are being held at the Salt Lake County jail, while their fifteen year-old son Is being held at the Salt Lake County juvenile correction faculty.

"We have a third hand report from the juvenile correction facility, indicating that young Mr. Santino refused to change into jumpsuit that all of the residents at that faculty are required to wear. The staff were reluctantly compelled to forcibly remove young Mr. Santino's clothes. Like I said, this is third hand information, but our informant indicated that Young Mr. Santino was wearing pink bloomers when he was arrested.

"Pink bloomers?" asked the co-anchor.

"That's what the report says, Cotton Candy Pink, with a large amount of inch and a half White Lace - around the waist and leg openings, and covering the bottom," the anchorman read.

"Well, I'm sure that information will follow young Mr. Santino for quite some time," the co-anchor commented.

"I'm sure your right about that. As for the arrests that were made at the newly discovered dungeons, we don't have a lot of information concerning the individuals at those locations at this time. As soon as we know the statutes of those individuals -

Ellen stopped the play back at that point, and looked directly at me. "Anything you want to tell me, Matilda?"

"About what?" I asked, somewhat confused.

"About the pink bloomers?"

"I didn't know anything about the bloomers until Kriss started giving orders and they put them on Walter."

"Ellen, Matilda really didn't know anything about the bloomers," Mary Beth said quietly.

Both Ellen and I looked at Mary Beth.

"Is there something you'd like to share with us?" Ellen asked Mary Beth.

Mary Beth started out slowly, but eventually told us the whole story, "Well, - - it was - kind of like this. Kriss and some of the other members of the beta team, came to talk with me and the rest of the Black Sheep about Walter. Matilda was with RJ and the others doing the programming, that's why she didn't know anything. They wanted to know more about the terrible things that Walter had done. I guess I went into a lot more detail than I've ever done before. In the end, everyone felt that it wasn't enough that Walter simply go to jail; we all agreed that he should have a taste of what he did to all his victims. Wally and George were the ones that suggested, what might happen to Walter, if he showed up at the detention center in girl’s panties. The discussion went from what he should be wearing, to how to get him into some panties. In the end, Kriss and the other betas said they'd take care of all the details. That's the last I heard about it until they put the bloomers on Walter. We, I mean me and the rest of the Black Sheep, didn't know exactly what the plan was, until Kriss started giving orders."

The room was quiet, with the exception of Ellen's clock. "Matilda, it appears that I owe you an apology," Ellen stated, while still looking at Mary Beth.

I took Mary Beth’s hand and asked, "Now then, exactly who is keeping secrets from whom?"

"I was going to tell you, but by the time we had a chance to talk, it was late and you were telling me about your programming. So I figured I'd tell you the next day, and the next day, and the next, and before you knew it the two weeks had passed and we were getting in the vans."

"Well, she sounds sincere," Ellen commented.

"Even if her timing was off," I added.

"Although, Matilda, she never really said she was sorry for keeping things from you."

"That is true, but I have a feeling she'll ask me to forgive her this evening, after a sound spanking."

Ellen's eyes sprang open.

"Matilda, you wouldn't?" Mary Beth squealed in alarm.

I giggled, smiled, and said, "Of course not." Mary Beth looked visibly relieved, until I added. "I'll have George do it."

"Now Matilda, no violence," Ellen cautioned.

"Not to worry Ellen, a little teasing now and then, but you know I could never do anything that would hurt my dear partner."

"Um, that's study partner," Ellen corrected.

"Sorry, slip of the tongue."

"I'm sure," Ellen replied, skeptically. "I guess we're finished, for now. Although, it looks like I need to have a chat with Kriss. I'll talk with Mr. Peterson and we'll arrange a visit with one or both of you, every few days."

We thanked Ellen and dashed to the cafeteria. If we were fast, we could grab a sandwich before running to our next class, which was already in progress.

The next eleven days were all about the same; rushing to class, rushing to our language lesson with Jamous O’Malley. Oh yes, he was trying to teach us something about the Scottish dialects, we saw him three times each day, every time we used to have a break.

* * * To Be Continued * * *

Comments are gratefully appreciated, either left below or sent to me at
[email protected]

up
221 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I am guessing that Bart

licorice's picture

I am guessing that Bart/Walter is going to be raped then murdered at some point. Probably a lot of rapes before hand.

Many years back there was an

Brooke Erickson's picture

Many years back there was an ex-con living in the same household I was. He told us quite a bit about the culture inside.

Let's just say that if info about *why* they are inside gets out, the Santinos will be serving *very* hard time.

Even convicts have standards. And child molesters don't meet them.

They are unlikely to die, that'd be too easy. But they may have a lot of "accidents".

Two instances I recall the ex-con mentioning involved a guy who "jumped" from the third tier of cells. People were upset that he only broke his legs.

Then there was the stoolie who fell down three flights of stairs then "fell" back up them.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

A NEW chapter yahooo!

Another chapter with the every Mischievous Munchkin and Friends. And to think she's not the one in trouble at least this time! Penny uses this chapter to show Matilda's nurturing side as she helps Lizy, and MayBee deal with some of their issues that they have, and her teasing side as she's trying to give Mr. Peterson a chance to put one over on the Black Sheep. Kudos on another swell chapter!

I can't help but wonder.

Is the munchkin trying to impersonate an acute, normal or obtuse angle?

Kidding aside, it is nice to see another chapter.

_Bev_

Angle - Angel

They say that Nobody is Perfect.

I can honestly say that I'm not perfect.

Thanks for the heads up. We're all better when we help each other.

Huggs

Penny

It's not my birthday or Christmas

So I can't figure out why I'm getting such a great present as another chapter!

Made my day, getting to read this.

Not in Trouble ?

oh Dear it had to happen the Munchkin being innocent of any wrong doing, Well this time at least lol lovely to see another chapter in this story cannot wait till She hits Ole Reekie . although I think the Scots dragoons may be needed for security, cannot wait to see what Chaos is caused next

Matt

Education in The Hills

Hi Penny, Nice to see the Munchkin back


ELIZA

Thank You!

Thanks for another chapter in one of the SPA Universe stories. I really enjoy all of them and the antics of Matilda is certainly a favorite.

Hmmmmm

Renee_Heart2's picture

Intresting developments afoot I LOVE IT!!!! THIS is one practical joke that the black sheep WILL NEVER forget! I HOPE the 2 girls get the Scottish dilect down. As for Walter aka Black Bart he's going to get what he deserves

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Edinburgh dialect/accent

I'm surprised Matilda and Mary Beth would need language lessons for a trip to Edinburgh. I have been there several times (1965, 1967, 1970, 1971 and 1980) and, as a Californian I had no problems understanding the locals. Think Sean Connery for an Edinburgh accent, though accents do vary by neighborhood. Probably only a local could distinguish a Moningside accent from a Leith accent.

Now if they were going to Clydeside, it would be a different matter. As a teenager I took Highland Bagpipe lessons from a man from Port Glasgow, and understanding him was a real challenge.

David

Mmm Mmm good

Jamie Lee's picture

I'd thought about this story the other day, and am very happy to see that another chapter has been posted.

It's good to see nothing violent took place in this chapter--everyone needs a break now and then. However, it will be interesting to see how the Black Sheep react when they discover they've been punked. Let's hope Matilda and Beth can weather that small disturbance.

As to Walter, eh, he made his own bed.

Real nice work Penny.

Others have feelings too.

Tie in

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it but this series is directly tied in with Karen Pages's "A New Style of Education" and the S.P.A. Universe. Matilda, RJ, and several others are a part of the story when Immigration Manor goes to visit Hayfield Hall. It's an excellent story. It's a must read.

Much Love,

Valerie R