Nowhere To Run: Chapter 10

Printer-friendly version
nowheretorun.png


Chapter 10

Finger Lickin' Good

In a zombie's point of view, I wonder what they think. I doubt they're saying “Braaaaaiiins.” More likely they are saying, “I’m starving, give me food.” or “Someone, please kill me... Oh wait, I’m already dead... Someone, please kill me more”. Maybe the movie ‘Wasting Away’ is what really happens. Besides the whole ‘Super Soldier’ thing. They think everyone else is out to get them, and they have to protect themselves. I bet to them, human flesh tastes like any other animal in the world.

I can’t believe it. When people turn into zombies, they end up being cannibals. It’s disgusting. I also wonder about those vegetarians and vegans out there? Do they become meat eaters as well? That would suck. So much for PETA. They can’t stop this now.

Would it be safer to live in the country, or are there lots there? On the trip up to Minnesota, we noticed a few out there, but we didn’t see much. I might say it’s safer there. Which leads me to where Jill and I are right now.

As we walk through the Saint Paul Skyway, we end up stuck with dozens of zombies on one side of the doorway and us on the other. We had to head back. But even if we did, we would end up back in the same place. There is no what out of this Skyway system. We started running, it was about time, because once we did, the zombies broke through. We could hear them break the door down.
We were now in a severe panic mode. With that many zombies and us six years old girls' bodies. We would not survive. We kept running. Well, actually, I was still running. Jill was nowhere to be seen. With Zombies trying to get out the doorway, I had to head back towards them searching for my best friend.

“Jill!” I screamed. Which was a lousy choice to scream. Every Zombie from a mile around could hear me screaming. I ran back towards the zombie-infested doors. She was nowhere around. One zombie was out of the door, which meant... I turned around. I didn't even get to blink because the next thing, the world went dark.

~o~O~o~

“I’m dead. I’m dead. I know it.” Is this what zombies thought of? Was the world always this dark to them?

“Natalie, you can open your eyes, silly girl.”

I know that voice. It’s Jill. I did what the voice said and opened my eyes. I was in a room. A spotless room. I looked around. Okay, it’s a bedroom. But where were we? I noticed Jill sitting next to me. She had a smile on her face.

“Where are we?” I asked, still amazed that I survived.

“We are in an apartment. A man named Mr. Sanders brought us here.”

I looked around a little more. I didn’t see him anywhere. I did see outside at the beautiful, but also zombie-infested park across the street. I wonder what the name of that park is? I guess it doesn’t matter. It could be Zombie Park for all I care. I won’t ever spend time there ever.

“With a big city like this, I am surprised the military hasn’t put a barricade up on a few sections of the city for communities of houses, as they did in Fear The Walking Dead.

“Oh, they did.” I jumped, a strange old man stepped into the room. “It didn’t last long. Then the zombies took over, and everyone in the community was attacked. I was the lucky one, that got away. Along with a few families with children.”

“I hope you’re Mr. Sanders and not the dead Coronal Sanders of the defunct Kentucky Fried Chicken company I heard about.”

“Oh, I am Mr. Sanders. I wish I were the Coronal, at least I would have been a millionaire until I died.”

“What good is money now?” I cried. I looked outside at the park again. “I sure wish I could go there? It’s so pretty.”

“Mears Park used to be a dump for many years. It was always full of homeless people from nearby homeless shelters. But after the city ordinance said they would fine anyone loitering in one spot in this city for more than a thirty minutes, excluding the entertainment that happens in the parks throughout the city. So the homeless stopped going to that park. Then it started looking beautiful again. I kind of feel sorry for the homeless people. I used to be homeless myself.” He gazed down at the zombies. “Now the parks will look like hell again soon,” he sighed.

I went over to a computer in the room. “Does the Internet work anymore?”

“I’m not sure,” he chuckled. “Give it a try. And don’t worry about the electricity. Galtier Towers Apartments have solar power on the roof. It helped with rent payments.” He chuckled again. “But I doubt I will need to pay rent anymore, because of this.”

I turn on the computer. While waiting for the computer to start, I went to the fridge to see what the old man had to eat. All he had in the refrigerator was chicken. Chicken? He had chicken?

“What’s with all the chicken in the fridge?” I asked, looking out at Mr. Sanders.

“Just call me the Coronal, he laughed.
I started freaking out. “But I thought you said you were not Coronal Sanders?” I screamed.

“Shush up, little girl, you don’t want the zombies to hear you. Besides, I love chicken. I have a huge freezer in the other room, also full of chicken. Everyone on this floor called me the coronal because of it. Also, because I looked like him and had the same last name. But it doesn’t actually make me the real Coronal Sanders, does it?”

“I see,” I giggled, munching on a chicken drumstick. “Oh, I’m sorry, I hope you didn’t mind me eating this.”

“No, that's what chicken is for. Besides, as I said before, I have plenty of chicken in the back room freezer.”

The computer finally booted up.

“You're not connected,” the browser said. “And the web really isn’t the same without you. Let’s get you back online. Check your network cables are plugged in. Make sure you’re not in airplane mode. Determine if your wireless switch is turned on. Restart your router.”

“Well, that shows we don’t have Internet,” I pouted.

“No, it shows we don’t have a Wi-Fi. We need an Ethernet cord to sign in.” Mr. Sanders chuckled.

“Now you tell me,” I growled. “Why don’t you plug it in.”

“Because I don’t have an Ethernet cord. The Internet is located with the lady that lived downstairs.”

“Well, let’s get it working down there,” I said, getting up from the computer.

“I would, but the apartment is infested.”

Well, that blows the whole plan on searching the Internet for information. Now, what do I do? I was about to turn off the computer, but Mr. Sanders wanted it on. He wanted to play Solitaire on it. Didn’t he have a set of cards?

I turned on the TV and searched for a show to watch. He didn’t have cable, which sucked as well. How could an old man not have cable? All there was on was the Canadian Emergency Network. If this were the United States still, we would see the American National Emergency Network.

I sat on the bed, munching on a chicken. Jill was on the couch reading a book. How could we do this? Shouldn’t we be out there getting farther away from these zombies instead of being stuck in an apartment? There was nothing to do but sit around reading a book or playing games on the computer. If only we had a cell phone or something, I could see if my mom and sister were still alive.

If it weren’t for the tornado, we would still be in that house protected from the zombies, and I would have video games, videos, and cable to watch. Yeah, like cell phones still worked. I giggled to myself. But wait, satellite phones still work. The satellites have not been taken down in space.

I had to find a way to get a few phones. If only I could find where to go to get some, without the zombies finding me.

Munch, Munch, Munch.
That’s right. I am still munching on a chicken. Jill grabbed one from the plate I had put on the bed. I guess she was also hungry. It seemed like she was relaxed and not worried at all. But deep down inside, I have a feeling she was still concerned. Hoping they wouldn’t break down the door.

I doubt they would. That door is strong. Besides, I don’t even think they are on this floor. Or are they? I put my head against the wall of the bedroom I was in. It was hard to hear because the walls were made of cement and not paper thin, like most apartments I know. I’m glad it’s made of cement. If it wasn't, the zombies could break it down easily and get us. But I still had to find out if they were in the next door apartment.

I decided to do the old cup trick and listen to that way. It doesn’t always work, but it was worth a try. I got a glass and put the rim of the glass against the wall. I still had a hard time hearing. I was beginning to get annoyed. But the last thing I could do is scrape a little bit of the top of the wall until it reaches the other side. It will take a while, but it was worth a shot.

I went into the kitchen and started looking for a knife. It wasn’t hard to do. Before I could take it out, Mr. Sanders saw me.

“What are you doing with that, young lady?” He asked.

“I... I... I was just going to scrape the wall in the room to hear if there were zombies in the apartment next door.” I cried.

“That wouldn’t be a good idea. They could smell us. We don’t want them to know we are in here.” He calmly explained. “Besides, there are zombies in that apartment. I had this floor, searched and locked up so no other zombies can get out. They are intelligent. They can find a way to get to us if they really tried.”

“What about the floors above and below us?” I asked.

“I didn’t even bother trying to make those safe. They are everywhere down there. Unless someone else living down there is alive and did the same thing I did, it's pretty much infested.” He looked at the ceiling. “As for above us, we are at the top already. All there is left is the roof.”

“What’s on the roof?”

“The pool, why you ask?”

“The pool?” I repeated. I was so excited. All this time, we were below a pool. “We got to go to the pool!”

“Who said pool?” Jill asked, running out of the bedroom. I can tell she was in a good mood now. I wonder what she did with the book she was reading?

“Also a huge television used as a movie theater.” He smiled. “The old one is down on the main level, which again is infested.”

“What about the pool location, are there zombies up there?”

“Not sure, I didn’t check when I was working on this floor, but likely yes.”

“I think we can take care of a few zombies. What do you think Jill?”

She nodded. It looks like we are going to go zombie hunting.

up
71 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

owh

what happen next?

lol

Just wait and see

name.png