Glimpses 6

Printer-friendly version

Name: Dorothy Gayle
Aliases: D'artagnan "Art" Gayle
Code name: Blip
Ratings: warper (teleportation) level unknown
Techniques:none
Weak vs.: [unknown]
Backup/ Team affiliation: family

Art wasn't really thrilled with the medical tests. Not that they were all that bad.

The physical exam was no fun at all, but he'd known there was no way around it.

They didn't like his low body fat, but when he'd explained why he was doing it, they agreed to let him continue until they could get results from some pysch stuff. But he was warned to come into the clinic immediately if any of a long list of things happened.

Powers testing made up for it though.

Well the written stuff at the start was kinda boring. Except when the questions were too hard.

The physical tests were a pain for the most part. He was strong and fast, but only a bit more than most folks. The dodgeball had been kinda fun at first. But eventually there were too many to dodge.

Testing his teleportation was more fun. They had him blip to different places in the lab and then to a few places on campus.

"Okay, that's pretty good. Now we need to try for range..."

"I sorta thought you might so I had Connie help me with a little trip after we found out where Whateley was. Got a phone number I can call you at?"

Someone dug out a business card with the school's number on it and wrote the extension on it.

"Do you have a GPS or something that won't get too freaked out by getting moved a long ways? Even after the mods we made, Connie's still takes a few minutes to resynch after a long blip."

A tech handed Art a box.

"Great, I'll call you in a minute...."

With that, Art vanished.

"Wait, we didn't set up a location..."

A few minutes later the phone rang. A tech answered it. She listened for a moment and turned with a weird expression on her face.

"Dr. Shandy? It's the main switchboard. They've got a collect phone call for you...."

The doctor got up to go to the phone just as the tech finished. ".. from Australia."

Several voices chimed in "Australia!?"

Dr. Shandy took the phone from the tech. " This is Dr. Shandy. ... Yes. Where in Australia? Perth? And the caller is... Blip? Yes, I'll accept the call."

Someone slid a laptop with a map of Australia showing on the screen onto the desk.

"You really shouldn't have done that without clearing it with us... What? ... Yes, if it's synched up you can jump back..."

As the doctor was speaking, Art appeared in the room holding the GPS.

"Sorry, I figured it'd save a lot of time."

"Well, I suppose it did. You couldn't jump much farther away, could you?"

"Actually, no. Not unless I want to get really wet. And actually, I can't exactly get a "fix" on a chunk of ocean."

At the puzzled looks, Art explained. "I worked it out on the maps Perth is the only decent sized city anywhere close to the opposite side of the world. I could have gone about 25 miles away to the SW tip of Australia, but that wasn't worth the trouble. No phones, anyway. And the actual 'other side of the world' is over 300 miles out to sea from there."

"Max range of over twelve thousand miles...." that was one of the techs.

"No. Only around eight thousand, I rather doubt that he's following the surface of the earth on these blips of his."

After this they decided range testing was kind of pointless. Which was what Art had hoped for.

up
159 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Now that would be a really

Now that would be a really handy power to have. Definitely save on airfare, luggage fees and worrying about customs. Plus you could go on a day vacation or just to visit a place as you wanted to.
I would dread Blip's powers becoming known to the government, as I could see them trying to get him to join the CIA or even the military as a spy of some sort. That could lead to bad things for him.

I doubt that Blip would have

I doubt that Blip would have too much trouble, as other teleporters are already commercially known, and likely more already work for various government agencies, but the range might be enough of an anomaly to be of interest.

No argument about it being a fun power to dream of, though!

Dorothy Gayle

giggles.

DogSig.png

Ah. you noticed.

Brooke Erickson's picture

Ah. you noticed.

Yet another reason to want another name. Some parents get overly cute when naming their kids.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

Wow

Tas's picture

So practically unlimited range. Travel costs? What's that?

-Tas

Remember, He can only go to

Brooke Erickson's picture

Remember, He can only go to places he's been before.

That limits things a lot.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

Surprise

Jamie Lee's picture

Talk about shaking up the testers. Good thing he's learned to take his clothes along.

Others have feelings too.