Tink: A Strange Fairytale 6

Printer-friendly version

Tink headed off for lunch after martial arts, not bothering with a shower since she hadn't done enough to work up a sweat. At Crystal Hall she met up with Page, Serena and a few other Whitman girls. They were all talking about their classes, which ranged from the common history, English and science; to the weird, magic, esper and quantum physics; to the holy cow they teach that at school! Which included firearms training and how to shoot a fire accurately at one hundred feet.

“You're not saying much for once Teri, what's up?” Page asked.

“I have homework for Martial Arts, and I'm trying to think,” she admitted.

“What you have to beat up five kids before tomorrow?” Serena joked.

“Ito, said I can't learn what he's teaching, I have to make my own style, since I'm too small. I've thought of a few things, but tying people up, dragging them into the air and dropping them, dive bombing them with things and people, and slashing them to ribbons with my claws won't help me much against bricks and people with forcefields,” she kicked a chicken nugget across her tray.

“You could use a weapon,” a normal looking girl except for her purple skin and constantly shifting hair said.

She frowned, “Thought of that Adira, but I'm too small to get one that would do any real damage. Being small sucks.”

“What about powders or something. Fly in throw a sack of something like pepper spray and they're blind. You don't need a lot of it.” Serena suggested.

“Thanks you guys, but what seems like a little bit to you is a lot to me,” Teri sighed. “I may not feel it weighing me down, but it's not exactly easy to carry things that are the same size as me.”

“So talk to a devisor and get a bag of holding,” Tracy, a perfectly ordinary girl Teri only really knew by name, said.

“A what?”

“My brother told me that a lot of devisors can make a pocket that's bigger on the inside than on the inside, and you don't feel the weight. A purse could hold ten or fifteen books, a belt pouch can carry a bazooka. If you have the money that would be great for you,” she said.

Teri's tray slid across the table as she jumped at Tracy, who gave a little shriek, landed on her shoulder and started kissing her cheek. “THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! YOU'RE MY NEW BEST FRIEND!”

“You're welcome! Now let go!” Tracy shouted trying to push Teri away.

She let go, blushing. “Sorry, I got excited.”

“Ya think!” Tracy said, wiping her cheek with a napkin.

“So... Tracy, my good, wonderful, amazing, fantastic, excellent friend, do you know any devisors?”

**

Teri flew to Costume Shop, twirling and spinning through the air with a silly grin on her face. After much begging and puppy dog eyes, and a promise to never kiss her again, Tracy had agreed to talk to her brother about who Teri should talk to about getting a bag of holding. And Teri was already thinking about what she wanted.

Entering class, she again took a seat at the front of the class, and noticed that over half of the students there were suffering from GSD. Page came in a few minutes later and down beside Teri. “Hey, have you heard anything about this class?”

“Nope. I forgot to ask a sophomore I met this morning,” Teri said. “So are you going to be designing your superhero costume here?”

“Hah, watch out supervillains or I'll write down your most embarrassing thoughts on my face!” Page said in a loud voice. “It doesn't have quite the right ring to it. What do you want to learn? You already have your wild fairy costume.”

Teri straightened her mouse skin dress. “I'm hoping she'll tell me how to move up to cat skin dresses. And make them bullet proof, with a hundred hidden pockets to hold everything I need in them, and a cape so I can glide down out of the sky striking fear in the hearts of onlookers.”

“You don't need a cape to do that. Believe me, just five minutes talking to you ought to strike fear in most people.”

“HAHAHAHA! I love it!” Teri cackled rubbing her hands together.

Page looked around the room. “See just a minute or two of talking and you already have half the class thinking your nuts.”

An old woman who looked like she should be sleeping in a coffin to save everyone time, came walking in, wearing what seemed to be an old table cloth that had been mutilated to form what could kindly be called a dress by a near sighted bat.

“Good afternoon class, I am Mrs. Ryan,” she said in a cracked and wheezy voice.

Teri wrote down the what was expected in class, afraid that if she didn't the zombie teaching them would eat her brains. Even if her brain was tiny, she was very attached to it and would be quite upset if it disappeared down a maw.

Finally the aging vampire asked the class a question. “Who can tell me why you should wear a costume?”

Teri flew up raising her hand.

“Yes, the butterfly girl.”

“To make a statement,” Teri said as loudly as she could. Then she realized what she'd been called. “HEY! I'm no butterfly! I'm a fairy!”

“I'll be sure to remember that,” Mrs. Ryan said. “Thank you for your answer, that is one reason.”

Other students shouted out more obvious answers, from staying hidden, to freedom of movement, to protection and more. Then she asked for a volunteer who felt they stood out, and wanted to fit in a bit more.

Teri once more flew into the air with her hand raised, actually getting to within a foot of the evil ghost made flesh. In fact up close, she realized that the teacher looked almost exactly like Ms. Bitters from Invader Zim. “Oh! Oh! PICK ME PLEASE!”

“Very well, you will do nicely,” Mrs. Ryan said. “What is your name please?”

“Teri Mouser!”

“Teri, why aren't you wearing a standard school uniform?” she asked.

“This is my costume and a costume of my fairy heritage,” she said.

The teacher eyed her carefully. “As far as I know, and I have studied extensively, there is not and in the course of human history, never has been a fairy culture.”

“We're rather new, but going strong,” Teri said proudly. She noticed that half the class was trying not to laugh, a quarter of the class was laughing, and the rest were staring in amazement.

“...Right. How do you think wearing a skinned mouse makes you fit in?”

Teri cleared her throat preparing to speak loudly enough so that everyone could hear her. “I don't look human and never will. If I try to look normal people will assume I'm a mutant. If I look like this, they'll think I'm a cute fairy or something. Children love the look, and if worst comes to worst, people will call the police, not the MCO.”

“So you're making a statement that you're so different, you could come from a fairy tale and people don't have to worry about you?” she asked.

“Yes!”

Mrs. Ryan turned to the class. “What are some clothes she could wear to try to fit into society safely?”

“She could dress like a policeman,” someone said.

“I have a costume for that,” Teri said.

A girl shouted, “What about looking like a nurse?”

“Got that to.”

“A scientist oufit!”

“I have three.”

A business suit!”

“I have six of those,”

“Teri,” Mrs. Ryan said, “you actually have all of those outfits?”

“Yes,” she said, nodding her head happily.

“Why?”

“I model clothes for dolls, and I get the clothes when we're done. Would you like to see them?” she asked.

“Yes actually, if you could bring some in tomorrow we can discuss how different looks get different reactions.” Turning to the class, “Now, why are those costumes that were mentioned useful for fitting in?”

**

“I can't believe you got away with that,” Page said after class.

“Got away with what?” Teri asked.

“Saying that your dress is part of your culture,” her friend said as if it was obvious.

“Well it is. As long as I'm the only fairy in the world, I make up the culture. I can't help it if I'm all alone in this cruel world.” She glanced at her schedule, “I have Calculus now, what about you?”

“Physics, joy.”

“Have fun. I'll see you at supper,” Teri said flying off.

The rest of the day passed normally, if in a rather boring way. Even detention at Hawthorne was merely helping clean things up. By the time it was lights out, Teri was actually wishing something interesting would happen.

**

Teri flew to the table with a cereal box ripped open at the top and the plastic bag holding the cereal full of milk, there were some glares from people who had wanted the cereal, but she ignored all of them.

“What on earth is that?” Thad asked, while Serena, Page and Sap looked at her in amazement.

“A short time offer of Sugar Coated Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs, with extra frosting. The breakfast of champions!” she shouted. Stripping out of her mouse dress, revealing a bathing suit, Teri grabbed a spoon flew to the top of the box and proceeded to eat enough sugar in five minutes to cause a sugar overdose in an entire kindergarten class.

“SOWHO'SUPFORDOINGSOMELAPSBEFORECLASS?ORCLIMBINGCRYSTALHALLANDMOONINGTHETHIRDFLOORELITE?” she asked.

Everyone edged away from the twitching fairy girl, wondering who would be the first target of a super powered hug, kiss or some other bout of insanity, and wondering if an attempt at a fast getaway would make them the focus of Teri's attention.

“Teri, how about you start run- er, flying and we'll catch up to you after breakfast,” Serena suggested, speaking slowly and calmly.

“OKTHATSOUNDSLIKEAREALLYGOODIDEA!!!BYEBYE!!!” and she took off, pulling an impressive 0 to 40 in three seconds. The doors being made of an extremely hard crystal, survived the impact although the metal frames did flex dangerously before returning to their original shape and the hinges smoked for a few seconds afterwards.

“So who's going to give Teri her dress back when she calms down?” Thad asked.

**

Teri flew around the campus like an out of control ping pong ball, following whatever caught her attention. This led to several strange experiences for students and teachers making their way to classes and breakfast.

**

Earth Mother and Eliza Grimes were on there way to Kirby Hall discussing some of the more intriguing new freshmen, when Earth Mother stumbled forward a shocked expression on her face.

“BEHOLD MY NEW JUNGLE KINGDOM!” a squeaky voice shouted from the general area of Earth Mothers' vine covered lower back. “I CLAIM THIS LAND IN THE NAME OF THE FAIRIES!”

Before either woman could get over their shock, the voice shouted again. “OH DOGGIE!!”

There was an eruption of leaves and flowers and a streak of colour could barely be seen flying towards a werewolf looking boy.

“What was that?” Grimes and Earth Mother asked in stereo.

**

Generator was just telling everyone in Team Kimba about how interesting Japanese class was as they went to get breakfast, when something grabbed her shirt spinning her around. It had been moving so fast she hadn't seen it moving until the last second, and before she had stopped spinning her Kitty Compact was flying with the blades out, while the rest of the team ready for action.

“HI GENERATOR!” Teri yelled, not realizing how closely she had come to pain. “DO YOU HAVE YOUR FAIRIES FOR JAPANESE CLASS?! I CAN'T WAIT TO TALK TO- RYOKO!!!!!!” the fairy girl screamed in delight upon seeing Tennyo.

Tennyo fell backwards as she was hugged by a fairy no bigger than her hand, who didn't seem to know how to shut up, as it gushed about how cool her Tenchi Muyo was.

“Jade! What is this thing?!” she finally managed to get out.

Before Jade could say anything, Teri was off and flying, screaming something about pretty flowers.

“Um,” Jade said at once for a loss of words.

**

The Outcasts stopped to watch as a group of freshmen screamed and scattered from something. Jericho discretely tried to zoom in with the spy camera he'd created and attached to his clothes where it wasn't really noticeable.

He saw a bird or something stop in midair, take one look at Razorback and begin to fly towards them like a miniature guided missile. His hand instinctively went to the sonic weapon in case the thing attacked Razor and set him off. There wasn't enough time to do more than that when the fairy stopped just over ten feet away, looked at Jericho's trendy and colourful outfit, screamed in terror and flew straight up still screaming.

'What the hell?' Razorback signed.

“I don't know,” Jericho said.

Eldritch was shaking her head and muttering something about crazy fairies.

***

Chief Delarose sat in his office going over security reports from that night as he drank his herbal tea. There was a knock on his door, and Sam came in. “Chief, we have a lot of strange reports of a talking bird assaulting students and faculty, then fleeing at high speed. No reports of injuries yet.”

“A bird?”

“Well the reports vary, but they all say it is small, has wings, talks and flies at high speeds,” Sam said.

“I think I have an idea of who it is. Just give me a minute,” Delarose said. Picking up his desk phone he hit a button for the PA system. “Tink please come to the security office. I repeat, TINK, please come to the security office immediately.”

“Where was the last reported sighting?” he asked Sam.

“By Dickinson, the student, I'm assuming, was playing with some squirrels feeding them a granola bar she had stolen from a girl.”

There was a shout from the hallway and Sam ducked just in time as a fairy girl wearing a bathing suit, came flying in and splatted against the wall behind Chief Delarose's desk. Delarose gave a long suffering sigh as he heard the girl fall to the ground.

“I'm ok. I'm ok,” Tink said. Jumping onto his desk, she stumbled over the security reports for a few seconds before falling on her back. “Hi Chief, you called me? I came as fast as I could,” she said still lying on her back.

“Ms. Mouser, what are you doing?” he asked.

“Talking to the most interesting people,” she replied.

“Why are you wearing a bathing suit?”

She raised her head high enough to look at her body. “...I don't know.”

Speaking slowly and distinctly, Delarose asked. “Do you remember what you were doing before you started flying around?”

“... Not really. There was milk... and chocolate... and I think sugar... and then things get blurry.”

He rubbed his forehead fighting off a headache. “Since you already have three weeks worth of detention, I don't want to add anymore to it. You're getting your powers tested today, so that we can, hopefully, avoid this happening again in the future. Sam can you please escort Tink to the testing lab.”

The two left, Sam carrying Tink to make sure she didn't fly away if she saw something colourful. As he tried to get back to work on the security reports, his phone rang. Sighing again he picked it up.

“Chief why am I getting calls from several faculty members about being attacked on their way to class?” Carson asked.

He rubbed his forehead again, today was going to be one of those days.

up
254 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Tink

..is hyper enough without all that sugar she has consumed. No wonder she's "buzzing".

What a fun character.

Joanna

I CLAIM THIS CHAPTER IN THE NAME OF THE FAIRIES!

GrandiaKnight's picture

Loved this part the first time I read it on Crystal Hall and it still makes me smile. Tink is so much fun to read about.

"The pen is mightier than the sword ... if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp"

LOL

I feel sorry for Chief Delarose

sugar rush!

giggles. They should put warning labels on stuff like that !

DogSig.png

Thank you all.

Domoviye's picture

I love to write Tink.
Almost anything I have her do is perfectly justified. But the next chapter will be up in three or four days, I'm not happy with how I wrote it, so I'll have to do more than basic editing and things to fix it up.

I'm thinking the Crystal Hall

I'm thinking the Crystal Hall rules with have a new #1. Hide all sugar bowls or cubes whenever Tink is in the cafeteria. Apparently her body doesn't act well with sugar. I really feel sorry for Tink that she just may be the only one of her species, or at least presently.
Hopefully, that will be found to be not true.
Would really love to see a picture of Tink, but as I know that she can fly super fast, getting one just may not be possible, unless it is taken when she is modeling her new styles.

She gets a strict diet plan

Domoviye's picture

She gets a strict diet plan in the future, and yeah, it's an unofficial rule that anyone stupid enough to feed her sugar has to deal with the consequences.
And her body reacts extremely well to sugar, her brain doesn't. With enough sugar she goes from being really fast to speedster levels.
About dating, she just needs to find a guy who can control his size like the girl called Sizemax.
For pictures, I can't draw at all, so someone else will have to draw her. Sorry.

Tink being Tink...

Even if there were more students as diminutive as Tink, you could probably bet she'd be the only one of the bunch who'd consider diving into a bowl (or packet, in this case) of sugar-laden cereal.

One interesting experiment (but potentially nightmarish for the testers) would be to work out how much sugar she can safely handle - after all, what she's just consumed would be a significant percentage of her body weight. Knowing 'safe' levels would enable her to carry a sugar cube (or fraction of) as a holdout.

Hmm... I wonder what she's like on caffeine... :) It's probably a good idea to keep her away from Devisor Coffee, just in case... :D


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

They're not taking chances.

Domoviye's picture

They're not taking chances. No experiments with caffeine or sugar. They're just going to say limited doses or else.
About devisor coffee, I wrote up a short joke story where she gets into a fight with a recovered Counterpoint. He bats her into a 10 gallon canister of coffee. Everyone in the know runs away, as the canister explodes.
A half hour later when Chief Delarose decides its safe to move in they find pretty much everything destroyed for about a hundred meters, and Tink and Counterpoint are both bruised, battered and happily singing together. It was one of the best fights Counterpoint had ever had, and unlike everyone else he'd fought, once they were done she was laughing like a true warrior.
I may post it as a bonus to the next chapter, but it's definitely not going to happen.

I just love Tink

I just love Tink. She has to be my all time favourite fictional character.
Thanks Domoviye

Sophie

Thanks

Domoviye's picture

I really like writing her. I've been proud of a lot of stories I've written, but she's the first one I really Enjoyed writing consistently. She's also my most (only) successful attempt at sustained comedy.

A wonderful and imaginative

A wonderful and imaginative story, with a lot of mischief -and some tongue in cheek- slapstick too. I love it. And I wonder what will be the impact if and when Tink meets the pixies from the grove. As been featured in Absinthe. These are very fond of fun and games also, so I can't wait for them to meet.

Love your writing :)

Jo-Anne

Thanks.

Domoviye's picture

I haven't given much thought to the pixies. I've got some ideas and even a little written down for Absinthe and her fairies, but the real ones are a bit too far ahead for me to worry about just yet. But they'll appear at least in cameos.

of all that is holy

Tink needs to say away from sugar...
This chapter had me laughing so much, I can't wait to see what happens next. Major Kudos

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

We can give Tink and Chaka a

We can give Tink and Chaka a cup of sugar each, after locking them in a room filled with gymnastics equipment.

Tink

Tas's picture

I love reading about Tink, the kind of humor she makes is just wonderful haha

-Tas

Thanks everyone, I appreciate

Domoviye's picture

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments.
Now it was mentioned in Crystal Hall, about giving Chaka and Tink sugar at the same time. This will not happen.
Sugar makes Chaka hyper and horny. Tink is not going to be put at risk of becoming a sex toy more than once a story. So put that thought out of your head.

Argh!

Podracer's picture

Pink elephants! Pink Elephants!

"Reach for the sun."

It's just as well...

...they live in different cottages. As if the TK floor of Poe Cottage wasn't insane enough as it is, without having a diminutive student flying down to meet Jade whenever possible (Billie suffers enough with the various incarnations of the J-Team giving her several clones of the same crazy roommate to put up with, without another tiny trouble magnet turning up uninvited regularly!)

Heck, even as it is, the possibility of Tink being invited to meet any of TK on their floor should be a warning to everyone else to batten down the hatches and lock their doors (or scarper to somewhere safer asap!)


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Confused

I'm a little confused by the way you've written the characters in this story. Whenever Tink and Mouser are together, Mouser is wild and crazy, and Tink is the exasperated put-upon one. But every time that Tink and Mouser are apart, Tink acts every bit as crazy as Mouser. Both in the store before she meets Mouser, and ever since arriving at Whateley. Is this entirely because of Tink eating sugar when she's on her own, instead of a nice healthy rat stew?

- Jess Arita

Mostly it's because when

Domoviye's picture

Mostly it's because when Mouser is there, Teri is forced to be the voice of reason, or it would be UTTERLY insane. At Whateley she can kick back and relax and do whatever she wants.

That really is part of the reason, the other reason will show up a bit later, but has been hinted at already.

A new Sugar Buzz!

gillian1968's picture

I wonder if they'll discover Tink has any more interesting powers?

Gillian Cairns

Nope. Only that the power is

Domoviye's picture

Nope. Only that the power is linked to her emotions. The more determined or crazy she is the faster and stronger she gets until it hits a peak level. That's why she goes from an average song bird speed of 40mp/h while flying to speedster levels when on a sugar high, with the potential for ludicrous speeds if the right conditions are met.

So cute

Jamie Lee's picture

This is an absolutely cute story, except for the terror her parents felt when she manifested.

Her exuberant attitude is infectious, as is her naivety. This serves her well in that it makes her fearless in meeting new people. Though it could also cause her to get in over her head as well.

There were several time I was crying from laughing so hard because of her antics. The sugar rush being just one example. Her being caught sitting in the tree covered in bird feathers another.

Tink is such a sweet and charming character it's hard not to fall in love with her. Hope she can handle things if/when it gets rough.

Others have feelings too.

Thanks

Domoviye's picture

Believe me the first version was worse at the start, with her crawling out of her chest after waking up trapped where her heart should be.
She's actually not that naive, she just plays it up because she can. She actually has some pretty deep parts to her. But yeah she is pretty innocent when she wants to be.

Sugar as a jet fuel

Jamie Lee's picture

Tink has a metabolism that's already causing her to zoom around, and get easily excited. Add sugar and chocolate to the mix, and she becomes hyper excited and can break the land speed record. This could be her new secret weapon during a fight. How could anyone hit a streak of light after they eat a box of sugar?

Someone will have to monitor Teri's sugar intake or she could get herself into a spot that gets her cleaning Hawthorn the entire school year.

Others have feelings too.