A Love So Bold - Chapter 18 - 20

Printer-friendly version

LoveSoBold_0.jpgA Love So Bold
by Anon Allsop

The story continues - Hope you enjoy!

-Eighteen-

A fairly steady breeze was blowing as the sun steadily sank in the sky. The wagon train stopped for the evening in a little glade near the Platte River that they had been following for the past several days. For the most part they had settled in a circle, the traditional routine for both safety and protection.

Emma was napping in the wagon, so Hannah and Cade set out in search of fuel for their campfire. With them walked several other women and children. One of the younger women there was walking close to Hannah; she looked to be near the same age.

She was young and pretty in a ‘girl next door’ way, and when Hannah 'returned' to the trail she had been aloof but lately began to converse on a more regular basis. Under her arm she carried a bushel basket for the sticks.

"There doesn't seem to be many sticks lying around," she sighed.

Hannah nodded but was observing as she walked. "The prairie is full of these flattened chips... my Pa once told me that they burned fairly well when they were dried."

"These?" she asked, holding up one particularly thick one up. "What are they?"

Hannah smiled as she began to look for the driest of them, "Buffalo make them." She quickly glanced up to see if the woman understood; she had been raised up on the east coast similar to the original Hannah.

"You mean..." The young woman examined it closer.

"It's poop," Hannah said laughing. "They dry in the sun and we can burn them."

She quickly dropped it on the ground and grimaced as Cade picked it up and placed it into her basket. "It's just poop. Poop is just…well, poop… it won't bite you."

"That's disgusting." The young woman stood looking down at another she had found. "Why do I have to touch it?"

"If you want a fire tonight, you'll have to burn something, and since we aren't finding any sticks, these will have to do." Hannah picked up another couple and tossed them into the burlap sack that she carried.

"How can you possibly touch them?!" another woman cried as she watched in horror.

"You do what you have to do to survive," she replied as she held the bag open for Cade to throw another two in. "Our men folk have to do things they don't like... are we any better because we’re women?"

As she finished speaking, several of the women began to scour the ground looking for the chips and dropping them into their bags, buckets and baskets.

Hesitantly, the younger woman began to touch the chip and eventually picked it up and placed it into her basket. "I don't understand you."

"What's to understand?" Hannah replied as she tossed one into the bag she carried.

"You wouldn't give me the time of day before you had been shot; I had always got the impression that you felt you were above me. Now though, you will talk freely with me." She studied Hannah's face, looking for a hint of anger or emotion that never came.

"I just changed, I guess. Being shot and being on this trail will do that to a woman." She looked down at the chips in the young woman's basket, "See there, you are no different. An hour ago, and you would have rather died than pick up dried poop... by tonight you will be cooking your meal over it." The smile she beamed to the young woman caused her to also smile.

"The name's Hannah," she said as she offered her tiny hand to the woman.

She glanced down at Hannah's tiny hand, and then gently grasped it in her own. "Arden Hollywell. It's a pleasure to finally meet you and actually talk."

Hannah pushed Cade's hat off of his head, the string caught and his hat hung from his back. "This is my son, Cade. And the pleasure is ours, Arden."

"You have a baby too, if I'm not mistaken." She smiled at Cade and held her hand up to shield the sun from her eyes; it had lowered enough so that her bonnet was doing no good.

"Yes, her name is Emma." They continued to talk as they picked up the chips.

"So, is she with her father then?" Arden asked as she accepted a chip from Cade. "Thank you, Cade, but shouldn't you be helping your mother?"

"Yes, Emma is with her father right now. As for Cade, it’s fine, he's a good helper. So Arden, do you have any children?" Hanna asked as she pushed her bonnet off her head and let it hang down on her back.

Arden looked toward the grass. "I was kicked in the stomach when I was a young child; it did something to me... I'll never be able to have any children. I'd love to be able to have some, but not many men out here are interested in a barren woman."

"Oh, I'm so sorry!" Hannah apologized as they continued to search for chips. "There are several men here with children who have no mothers, perhaps you could be introduced to one of them?

"There is Mr. Bloom; he has three young girls tagging along with him." She replied softly, "I heard his wife died just before they started out, I guess it was the impetus that got them moving."

Hannah paused; her long skirt swept the tops of the prairie grass, pushing and bending them with its weight. "So what's stopping you?"

"I'm an ogre, Hannah! Look at me - large hands, not much of a middle. I can't give him children... what good am I?" She picked up a chip and tossed it into her almost full basket. "I was fortunate to get my mother's looks, but I also got my father's build."

Hannah thought back to her Ezrah days, "There could be worse things for you."

Arden laughed to herself, "My saintly mother had eleven children. There were six girls and five boys; unfortunately I'm the only daughter who looks like her brothers.”

"You are out here, so who did you come west with?" Hannah held the bag for Cade to drop another handful of chips in.

"I came out with an elderly family friend... he died before we passed Fort Laramie. I've been driving his wagon, alone ever since." She again picked up a chip and held her basket on her wide hip as she walked.

"So, you favor your mother then?" Hannah asked as she gathered up three more chips and deposited them in the bag. "At least you have a way west even if you are alone."

"Yeah I do... but the ride is sure lonely." She looked down at her chips and sighed; "Now I seem to be relegated to picking up poop, so I can fix my supper."

"It's okay, ma'am. As long as you don't smell your fingers or lick them," Cade interrupted as he threw two more chips into the bag Hannah carried.

Arden and Hannah exchanged a quick glance and burst out laughing. The boy stood in between them with a confused smile on his face, "What are you two laughing at?"

Hannah walked beside her new friend for a few more steps, Cade followed behind still picking up the chips they missed. "Tell you what, Arden, my husband Gideon knows Mr. Bloom. Why don't you come and sup with us tonight. Perhaps we can convince him to introduce you?"

Arden paused and smiled broadly, "You'd do that for me?!"

"I'd do that for my friend." Hannah replied with confidence. "Come on over to our wagon in about an hour, and we'll ask him then."

"Do you want me to bring anything?"

"Just yourself," she said with a smile. "... and these chips," she added with a laugh.

-Nineteen-

By nightfall, Hannah was stirring a rabbit stew; Em was in her free arm. The stew was cooked with wild onions and some carrots she traded with another wagon. Arden walked into the firelight and stood quietly, "Do you need any help?"

Hannah smiled, "You could hold Em for me; that'd really help me out."

Arden sat on a rock with Em and played with her, "She still nursing?"

"Always."

As she glanced toward Arden she noted sadness in her eyes, and then felt bad for the poor woman being barren. As she continued to stir, Gideon walked in from tending the mules and Blackie. Cade was with him.

"Gideon, I'd like you to meet Arden." Gideon shook her hand and glanced toward the simmering stew.

"Pleased to have you sup with us, Arden. It isn't often we get company," he replied as he poured first Arden a cup of coffee and then himself. "Careful, it's hot."

"Gideon, I know you are good friends with Mr. Bloom..." Hannah began, "I would like for you to introduce Arden and him."

"Oh, now I see... when women folks get together they always seem to conspire about something. Now I'm sure I know what the conversation was about when you were looking for fuel for our fire."

He smiled at his own humor, "Oh sure, I can introduce you sometime." He took a sip of his steaming coffee. "I have no problem in doing that, be happy to. But..."

Hannah looked up quickly from her cooking, "But what?"

"What's in it for me?" He said with a grin. "There's got to be something in it for me."

Hannah shook the spoon at him. "I'll let you eat this stew - how does that sound?"

He laughed and gave Arden a wink, "Aw come on, Hannah. What can you offer to sweeten the pot?"

"I have a jar of molasses that you can have. Would that be enough?" Arden offered.

Hannah fought off a smile, "It'll be alright Arden, you keep your molasses. What Gideon wants, is something only I can give to him."

He laughed, "I didn't say that... but since you are offering."

Hannah gave Arden a sideways glance, "Men - it seems they always have 'THAT' on their minds."

Hannah filled a tin and handed it to Gideon, "Here, eat this before you stick your foot further into your mouth." Behind him, Arden giggled.

He accepted the plate and in turn handed it to Arden, "Company first."

As the little family settled down for supper, their discussion meandered across the threshold of many different subjects. After the supper dishes had been cleaned, Arden helped Hannah put Cade to bed.

She began to excuse herself when Hannah readied Emma for nursing, but was dissuaded by Hannah commenting, "It's okay for you to stay, and we’re both women here. I'm pretty sure we're the same when it comes down to this."

After watching for several long minutes Arden finally spoke, "Does it hurt? Nursing babies, I mean."

"There are a lot more things that hurt worse," she replied frankly. "You get used to it after awhile, I suppose."

Arden sighed, "Just once I'd like to be able to have a child. I mean if it works out with Mr. Bloom it would be great. But there is something about having your own, growing inside of you that must make you truly feel like a woman.... sadly, I'll never know it for sure."

"You never really know for sure though, Arden. Stranger things have happened." Hannah specifically was speaking of her own transformation, but without coming right out and saying it. But as she looked down at Em suckling, her mind began to formulate a plan.

The two continued to talk throughout the feeding and after Hannah put Em to bed, they stepped down from the wagon. Gideon was sitting quietly wiping oil on his ‘58 Springfield rifle.

"Gideon, honey, I'm going to walk Arden back to her wagon. I won't be long." She gave him a quick kiss, which surprised him enough to watch them continuously as she picked up their lantern and they walked away.

As the two walked, they began to discuss family life. Eventually their conversation swung around to Arden's mother and her knack for sewing. When they arrived at the Arden's wagon she invited Hannah in to see her mother's wedding dress.

"That is a very beautiful dress, Arden!" Hannah exclaimed as she looked at the beautiful sewing. "Have you ever tried it on?"

Arden laughed, "Never." She fingered the intricate bead work, "Momma wasn't quite as 'thick' as me." She reached in the chest and removed a tintype, "This is Momma… don't we look a lot like each other?"

"I'd say twins," Hannah replied as Arden held the tintype up next to her own cheek. "She is a lovely woman."

"Was… Momma died from influenza when I was seventeen." She carefully laid the photo back into the chest and began to put the bridal gown back where she found it; Hannah assisted so it wouldn’t become wrinkled. "Ouch!" Arden exclaimed as she jerked her hand from under the dress.

"What?" Hannah quickly stepped back from the chest, "What happened?"

Arden rubbed the back of her hand, "I think I just was stung or bit by something." She held her hand in the light to see if there was a welt. There was none, and it wasn't even red.

"That was strange. Perhaps there is a pin or needle in the dress somewhere that I missed." Arden carefully finished putting it away and closed the lid. “I’ll have to remember to look for it the next time I have Momma’s dress out.”

Hannah stepped out of the wagon, and then took her lantern down from the hook. Arden scooted toward the rear of the wagon and leaned on the gate. "Thank you for supper."

"You are very welcome, I'm glad we could be of help." She paused, "I mean with setting you up to meet Mr. Bloom."

"I wish I would have spoken to you earlier. I was so wrong about you." She hugged Hannah, "I'm glad to have friends here."

"Likewise. If you need anything, just give me a holler," Hannah spoke over her shoulder as she began walking away, the lantern’s glow illuminating a wide circle around the woman.

"Same here, Hannah. Thanks again!"

As Hannah rounded the corner of her wagon she climbed quickly inside to check on Em and Cade. Both were sleeping soundly. Carefully she removed a folded cloth from her waistband and returned it to the tin that it had been in.

-Twenty-

She smiled as she put the necklace she had found seemingly so long ago back into the tin where Gideon had placed it. Slowly she began to remove her clothing for bed, once done; she blew out the lantern and slipped out of the wagon.

She pulled aside the blanket flap that concealed her and Gideon from prying eyes. He was resting. "See her home okay?"

"She is such a lovely young woman," Hannah said sitting up and untwisting her chemise from under her. "It's a shame she is alone out here."

"She's handsome, I'll give her that, but would never take away my breath like you do." He glanced quickly toward her as she settled down beside him.

"That was a sweet thing to say - thank you." Hannah replied, rolling to her side, her breasts pushing together creating a voluminous amount of cleavage. It didn't go unnoticed by Gideon, yet he said nothing.

"Are you going to say something to Mr. Bloom?" Hannah asked as she rolled onto her stomach, raised slightly upon her elbows.

"His name is Charles, and he is no older than I am so you can stop calling him ‘Mr. Bloom’." He fidgeted, trying to avoid looking into the deep crevasse.

Hannah scooted close and lifted her head and kissed him on his lips, and the softness he felt made him hunger for more. "Thank you, Gideon."

She rested her cheek on his arm; he was still watching her, feasting his eyes upon her beauty. "What?" she finally asked.

"You are so beautiful... sometimes I forget why I married you in the first place." He sighed, realizing how his comment sounded to her. "Well, you know what I mean."

"Do you miss her?" Hannah asked softly in the dim light of their shrouded bed.

"Always. Even after I was certain that she had been killed." He sighed again, gently running his fingertips through her red tresses. "Sometimes I even forget you and she aren't the same person."

Hannah raised her head and looked into his blue eyes, "Let's just say for tonight, she and I are." She lowered her eyes and then raised them back up toward his, "Only this Hannah wouldn't refuse you."

"Are you serious?" he whispered, "I was only kidding with you earlier!"

"I know. I decided that if I'm going to look like this for any great length of time, I should at least reap the benefits of having a handsome man at my side." Gideon suddenly looked downward, toward his feet. Her hand was resting upon his rapidly stiffening penis. "Make love to your Hannah."

"If we do, I won't be holding back," he replied gruffly.

"I wouldn't expect you to," she replied as she placed her tiny unoccupied hand on the side of his face and kissed him deeply.

Gideon rose up on an elbow; gradually Hannah eased herself toward the blanket. He held her there and stared into her lovely eyes, even though the lighting that eked through was dim. She laid on her back waiting for whatever would come next, a willing partner if he chose her to be.

His eyes followed his hand as he ran it through her long hair, then he leaned forward and deeply kissed her upturned lips. Her eyes danced as Gideon lifted his head, there was something causing him to hesitate.

"What is it, Gideon?"

He lustfully sighed and let his eyes wander over her face, then downward to where her chemise had become untied and greatly exposed her cleavage. Gradually he rolled onto his back and looked up at the underside of their wagon. "I can't."

"But I'm here... and I'm willing," she pleaded, the confusion was plainly written on her face. "I don't understand, Gideon. I thought you wanted this?"

"I do. My flesh is more than willing... but to continue, I feel as though I would be cheating on Hannah." He sadly looked over toward her, torn by the emotion he was feeling. Part wanted to have his way with the willing female, part was ashamed to be feeling this way for another woman... and it didn't help that she was an exact duplicate to his Hannah.

Hannah rolled back toward Gideon and lay partially upon his bare chest, "Your Hannah isn't here, and she’ll never be here again!" She pleaded, "I'm here right now... and I'm willing!"

"I know you are, and I love you for it, but..." He began only to be cut off by her kissing him, her loose hair draped around their faces like a shroud. The untied opening of her chemise allowed one of her generous breasts to lie upon Gideon's thick chest.

Slowly his hands touched her face; she pulled one down and placed it upon the breast which was touching him. Their kissing became hungrier; Hannah gently slid her soft leg over his hip and straddled Gideon. Behind her, she could feel his erection straining against his cotton drawers.

Hannah rose up and reached between her creamy thighs to untie his drawers. Snaking her hand further she began to push them down toward his knees, all the while she furiously ground herself against his erection.

On one of the downward thrusts she had, his ridged penis broached her nakedness and entered her. Hannah was beside herself, driven insane from her ferocious passion. She began to pump her hips against him; her need for him consumed her.

As the two lovers continued, a soft sound from above caused them to slightly hesitate. "Noooo..." Hannah whispered in frustration.

Gideon looked up at her as she straddled him, his hands were within her chemise stroking down the sides of her breasts. "What is it?" He began to shift his own hips to continue impaling this beauty above him.

"Em... she's crying." She looked down at him sadly, while above the crying only intensified. Hannah leaned forward, Gideon still deep within her. "I'm sorry, baby," she whispered.

Gideon quietly removed his hands from within her chemise, "You're leaking." He held his hand out so she could see the wetness glistening.

"Every time she cries, I start to leak..." She sighed and leaned forward once again to kiss him. "She might fall back asleep... it's happened before." Again she started to gently rock her hips, Gideon's hands slid down her narrow waist to rest just above her generous hips.

The crying only intensified, causing Hannah to sigh sadly. As she repositioned her chemise a soft voice called out from above. "Mommy, Emma's crying."

"I'll be right up, honey." She gave Gideon a sorrowful glance and gently raised herself from him. "Maybe later... please?" she whispered, and then kissed her husband.

He sighed, "Maybe later."

His eyes followed her out of their makeshift bedroom, as the flap dropped down he sighed with pent up frustration and pulled his drawers back over his gradually softening erection.

To be continued...
up
154 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Such obstacles

I'm assuming 1860's, perhaps post Civil War, near the Snake River? Having driven through Southern Idaho, it fascinates me that the river can in some places be in a deep canyon hundreds of feet below and out near Ontario is nearly bank full at street level.

It is hard for me to imagine how early settlers even managed to survive. It is the hygiene that bothers me the worst. Eating wild rabbits can be hazardous at times, and gathering wild onions for the stew? Looking them up on the internet, I have seen them growing but never imagined that they were onions.

I am happy to see the two growing accustomed to each other. It always does seem to be the women making these decisions doesn't it? I don't have experience with gentle men and seeing how sweet her "husband" is to her melts my heart.

Much peace

Gwen