Tink: A Strange Fairytale 10

Printer-friendly version

“I'm telling you, I didn't plan on eating sugar!” Teri said to Chief Delarose. “I've been framed! I had to search for an hour finding snacks that would help keep me filled up and had had the right amount of sugar the doc's recommended.”

“So what were you doing flying around the school with three students hanging from a net behind you, breaking holes in walls and causing mayhem, beyond what you usually do?” he asked.

Her face turned beet red. “I was playing hide and seek with the moon, and trying to get rid of some birds that were flying after me and scaring away the moon.” She scowled at them. “Hey I was drugged, it doesn't have to make sense!”

“Do you know why someone would want to drug you?”

“They're afraid of my great beauty. They want to see me acting silly. The ancient enemy of my people wants to see me killed so his three sons can destroy the world. How the hell should I know!”

He sighed, “Do you know who the three girls flying with you were?”

“No clue. They looked like big talking birds to me. Can I get ready for class now? I need to talk with Generator about somethings and I don't want to miss anymore classes if it's not an emergency,” she asked.

“Fine. We've got your statement, if we find anything we'll let you know. For right now, we're marking it down as a prank that got out of hand. If you notice any other problems please tell security as soon as possible.” With that he left the hospital room so she had some privacy.

Stripping out of the makeshift hospital gown which was actually just a dishcloth with a hole for her head and a slit on the back, Teri quickly got dressed in a business suit that Serena had very nicely brought for her the night before. A quick check out with the nurse on staff, and she was flying off to Whitman to get her school supplies.

**

Chief Delarose got to his office, and was met by Hive.

“Good morning Chief, I've got an analysis of the sugar Teri was given last night, and I've already spoken to the devisor who made it,” she said, without much preamble.

“Devisor sugar?”

“Yes. Hazmat reported to his teacher that a batch of sugar he'd made with an idea of marketing it as an energy enhancer to sports drink companies was stolen from his workstation early Sunday morning. So he's not a suspect.”

Delarose shook his head and thanked whoever was listening that Teri had only decided to go flying rather than following whatever caught her attention. “Any suspects?”

“His first thought was Belphagor, but he's not doing any projects that require sugar, and he has no reason to go after Teri. So we really don't know.”

“What does this sugar do? Will we have more students on sugar highs?”

“It's about twice as potent as regular sugar, and when perfected it won't let the person crash quite as hard. From how Teri went to sleep and wouldn't wake up after her flight, I'm guessing this batch was a work in progress,” she told him.

“Lovely. Go check her room and see if anything else has been dosed with it.”

**

Teri made it to Japanese class with ten minutes to spare, thanks to grabbing a couple of granola bars from Crystal Hall. Generator came in a few minutes later and sat down beside her, bringing out the three fairies.

“Hi Teri. I saw you flying last night, that was pretty cool. I didn't know you could go that fast,” the Japanese girl said.

“I didn't either. The doctors told me I got to about a hundred miles an hour.” She flexed her wings. “I'm definitely feeling it this morning. Can you help me with something? I was told you're the go to girl for making fine detailed things.”

“Sure, what do you need?”

She pulled out her plans for the fairy claws. “I need a hold out for martial arts, and thought this would be a cool idea. See I want to make a larger set of metal claws to go over my hands, and there will be a sprayer that can put out puffs of things like itching powder, stink gas, pepper spray, and things like that. I've already got Mobius working on the pouches to hold everything.”

Generator looked at the plans, while her fairies read over her shoulder. The four of them started talking about what they'd need, how to improve it, and how long it would take. “This is going to be hard. The basic stuff is easy, but getting a pump that small will be a problem. What if we made it into something like a bracer. The pump can be strapped along your forearm, I'll armour it so you have like a little shield, and instead of having it come out the claws, it will be at your wrist.”

“Oooo, armour is good.”

“I could also make you a magic fairy wand. Have the tube attached to the end, acting as a rope so you can't drop it, and the wand is just the pump, made to look pretty.”

Brunhilda the fairy flicked Jade's ear. “You're over thinking things. We can get one of the belt pouches made about twice as big, and put the pump in there. It keeps the actual weapon nice and slim, and we can put more armour around it so it won't be crushed the first time she's hit.”

“Oh, right, that makes things so much easier.”

“So you can do it?” Teri asked.

“Oh yeah, as long as you can get Mobius to make one of the pouches about twice as deep, we're in business. Because everything is so small, all you'll really have to pay for is the pump and time,” Generator began scratching out the details on the paper.

“Hurray!” Teri shouted. “And can I get the fairy wand to?”

“Yep.”

Teri jumped up and began doing a little dance in the air.

“If everyone can please sit down, pull out their homework and stop dancing on the ceiling, class is starting now,” Professor Shizuki said, looking right at Teri, who was dancing upside down on the ceiling with Generator's fairies.

“Sorry, sir!” she squeaked, flying back to her desk.

**

“Are you sure trying to get essence from Teri is safe?” Abra asked her friends at supper.

“Why wouldn't it be? She's dumber than Tansy,” Palantir said. “Do you know what happened today in Powers Lab?”

“No what?”

**

“Students, today we're doing a water walk for all the fliers,” Mrs. Bohn said, pointing at what looked like an escalator with water running down the steps. “You will walk up the escalator which is missing steps, and try to use your flight powers to make it look like you're walking instead of flying. While they're doing that the rest of you join your groups and begin discussing the theories you were suppose to have read over the weekend and find practical applications for them.”

Twelve students went to the front of the class. Tink flew over to her group that she'd been assigned to on Friday.

“Teri, come here. You have to do this to,” the teacher said.

She flew over to Mrs. Bohn. “But I can't do this, I have to flap my wings when I fly. So I can't look like I'm walking.”

“Your powers testing says you have a PK field around your wings which helps you fly. You shouldn't actually need to use your wings except to help with with your movement as you fly. This test is to get you practicing and that is exactly what you need.”

“WHAT! I always need to flap my wings. That test was wrong,” Teri said loud enough for everyone to hear.

Mrs. Bohn gave a small smile. “Than why aren't you flapping your wings now?”

“WHAT!” Teri turned to see her wings were perfectly still and spread out behind her. “AAAHHHH!” she screamed falling to the ground.

“Ow.”

**

Teri took off her shoes and hiked up her skirt before stepping onto the water. The cold water reached her knees, and she had to brace herself to avoid being swept away. Walking as quickly as she could to the edge of the step, she hopped down to the next one, willing her PK field to hold her up, while keeping her wings perfectly still.

She hit the water and kept going.

As she struggled to swim in a skirt suit, a big hand reached in and pulled her out. Spitting water, and wiping her eyes, she looked up at the teacher. “Can I be excused from this experiment? It's hazardous to my health.”

**

“After five tries she still couldn't do it. Mrs. Bohn let her out twenty minutes early to change her clothes,” Palantir finished, trying not to laugh too hard.

Abra took a minute to get her giggling under control. “She's not very smart, but I saw her in Martial Arts right after, and she was scary there.”

“What did she do?” Clover asked.

“Well we were sparring with powers today...”

**

“Teri and Alexander come to the circle,” Ito Sensei said.

“Hurray! My turn!” Teri shouted, flying to the ring her wet hair sticking to the back of her gi. She had seen Alexander throwing balls of water around on the first day, but a little water didn't scare her.

“No powers, first person to go out of the circle, becomes pinned, or submits loses,” the sensei told them.

“Uh, Sensei, do my claws and strength count as powers? I can't turn them off,” Teri asked.

“Do not use your claws offensively, and try not to use your full strength,” he said.

“OK!”

“Sensei, what am I suppose to do to her? I could stomp her by accident and she'd break,” Alexander said.

“She's sturdier than she looks. Try not to step on her too hard,” Sensei told him.

Going to the circle, Teri got into position and bowed. There was a lot of laughter from the audience. Ito yelled “Hajime,” and she was running at the boy.

Alexander didn't seem to know what to do. He got into a defensive stance, but realized she wasn't going to be punching him, then he started swinging back his leg to kick her. Fortunately for Teri, he'd waited too long, with a huge leap she covered the remaining distance between them, landing on his foot and began climbing up his pant leg. The boy screamed, jumping up and down trying to get her out, she grabbed onto his leg hair and kept climbing.

A hand slapped her through the material, but her wings helped pad her so she was only knocked around, and not hurt. She reached the top of his leg and saw a protective cup close beside her.

“Do you surrender?” she shouted.

She was slapped a few more times for her offer of mercy.

Grabbing hold of his gi with her claws, facing his cup, she pushed back as hard as she could and slammed both feet into the hard plastic. When Alexander didn't fall over, she did it a few more times. After the fourth time, there was a little squeak and she felt the boy bend over and start to topple. Forcing her way out through the top of his pants, she jumped away before he fell face first onto the mat.

“I win!” she shouted, as Caroline ran onto the mat, not waiting for the Sensei to stop the match, and waved her hands over the groaning boy.

Slowly Alexander got to his feet, looking at his crotch in amazement.

“Back into position, powers are allowed,” Ito said, his voice sounding a little tight.

Instantly Alexander surrounded himself in water. Teri bowed to him and as soon as the fight started she took to the air.

Jets of water flew at her, forcing her to dodge and weave, as the students behind her screamed at getting soaked. Her opponent was just standing there, sending out ever more and larger balls of water, but she was just a bit too fast for him. Then a huge ball of water hit her from behind, enveloping her. As she struggled to get out, she noticed that all the water that had been hitting the other students had vanished, leaving them just a little damp.

When she tried to swim out, the water bulged in front of her, always keeping her in the center of the bubble, no matter how hard she struggled. Teri slapped the water with one hand like she was tapping out before she drowned.

The water dropped away from her, letting her gasp for breath.

Going back to her spot, Teri glared at the boy. The moment the final fight started she flew straight up, bouncing off the ceiling and hit Alexander's chest as hard as she could. The watery armour surrounded her, but she was going too fast and the PK field pushed it back just enough. Alexander went flying backwards out of the ring with Teri pushing him until they both hit the wall on the other side of the room.

The water oozed away to pool on the ground, as Alexander tried to stay on his feet.

Teri, soaking wet, again, grabbed his hand and shook it. “Good fight. Let's do it again sometime.” Bobbing in the air, she flew back to her seat beside Grace and Insight.

**

“That's not a problem,” Palantir said. “We're not going to fight her or anything.”

“But it looked really painful how Alexander turned white. He couldn't even scream,” Abra said.

“Pally's right, we have a good plan, all we have to do is put it into action,” Clover said, getting a woof of approval from Buttons. “We'll set it up during supper and she'll never know what hit her.”

Abra looked at her friends uncertainly, finally she slowly nodded. “Ok. But if she looks really angry, I'm running for it. And someone else has to do the spell, I'm all out of essence after yesterday.”

**

Teri flying to her detention at Hawthorne, enjoying the peace and quiet after all the excitement of the last few days. Despite the repeated dunkings, which had her hair all frizzy, it had been a pretty good day, and she was suppose to have an easy detention helping Em with her English again, and another kid with some algebra. If only more days could be like that, she liked showing everyone that her small brain was packed with knowledge. Especially after those so called scientists kept asking how she spoke, or thought, or did all kinds of stuff.

She stopped in a small clearing, there was an x on the ground and right beside it was a big shiny red button. Landing beside it, she looked around but couldn't see anything that looked out of the ordinary. The shiny button lit up, becoming all sparkly.

Glancing around, she reached out to touch the button, only to stop a fraction of an inch away. She chewed on her lips looking at the pretty button. She turned to go, but her neck twisted around to look at the button again.

Standing up straighter, crossing her arms across her chest, she walked away from the but-

Spinning around, Teri launched herself at the tantalizing button, jabbing it with one finger.

She looked around, grinning to see what was going to happen. There was some rattling, but not much else. “Is that it?” she moaned.

Suddenly a squirrel jumped out of a tree, bending the branch it was on. A bowling ball rolled down the branch, and fell off the tip, snapping a branch below it. The broken branch was tied to a rope, and it swung through the air, popping a balloon. The bag of sand hanging from the balloon fell behind some bushes, and there was a squeal of unoiled wheels rolling along. A little red wagon came out from the bushes, and fell into a covered hole. There was a loud thump, and what sounded like a spring, and a baseball flew high into the air, coming down on another tree. Something was hit and it sounded like a crank was being wound up, there was a chopping sound and a tree shook. Then the top of a tree fell down towards Teri, only to be stopped when it hit another tree. An iron cage came loose and fell through the leaves, right on top of Teri, who had been standing there watching everything with a look of wide eyed wonder.

“That was CCCOOOOLLLLL!” she said. “Oh have to get going, I can't be late again.” Teri grabbed one of the iron bars and without any real effort, lifted the iron cage off of herself and went flying onto Hawthorne.

**

“Clover,” Pally said, “didn't you say that all fairy creatures are allergic to iron?”

“That's what it says in the stories! And I know Fey can't touch iron,” Clover said.

“Then why did she just lift the heavy iron cage off like it was nothing?”

“I don't know!”

Abra got up from their hiding spot. “Come on, lets get our stuff and plan for tomorrow night.”

up
264 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Tink

zulu mack's picture

I almost wet myself laughing ,only thing missing is the acme anvil lol

silly witches

don't you see she's not your avg. Fairy.

Wolf_0.jpg

These three need to get

These three need to get caught, they are dumber than bricks. Ha, Ha, Ha.

I don't know

Domoviye's picture

They've got Teri's personality and habits pretty well figured out. They're just underestimating her and working with some wrong information.

Awesome!

Tink is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters in the entire Whateley-verse. Can't wait to see what hijinks ensue next time.

nomad

I said it before

"Hey Abra, what are we doing tomorrow night?"

"Same thing we do every night Pally, try to take over Tink's Essence."

Although why Buttons and Min... er Clover are trying to help is a question to be answered.

You remeber Rube Goldberg machines? Or did you play the game ...

Mousetrap?

I think our three witches will be in for a rude awakening. Plus all the effort to steal essence. If they put that into figuring out how to make it or tap into it instead?

And if a certain Lakota girl finds out... there goes their source of essence boosting herbal tea.

Hum how does she retain a high mental level in that tiny brain? But she has great PK strength and all so...

I realize it is at best a side story now but might she ever reconcile with her parents? Assuming Whateley could prove that this strange little girl is really their child and not her murderer?

I can see it now... "You won't remember her because she passed when you were a baby but.. how can I put it .. well... your great aunt Gladys claimed her late twin sister did not die in their teens but turned into a pixy... But then she claimed she could fly by using her mind. Strange woman.. but incredibly attractive even when she was very old. Odd that."

Was hard reading the part about the martial arts battle while covering a certain area with both hands!

-- Snicker --

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Too many cartoons

Domoviye's picture

I watched a lot of cartoons with Rube Goldberg machines as a kid, and I remember but never played mousetrap. But most of these traps and plans came from Crystal Hall readers, who I asked to brainstorm ideas the 3 Little Witches could use, I took the ones I liked and used them as is, or expanded on them. The only trap I came up with 100% was the first one with the magic circle. I was taking it easy writing this arc.

For Teri's family. I have an idea for after Christmas that involves her family. It's very funny.

And see everyone, Teri can come up with her own fighting style.

those girls dont give up easy

shes beating them, and she doesnt even know they are fighting !

DogSig.png

Well...

Domoviye's picture

she knows someone is trying to piss her off, and it's starting to work. She's getting really annoyed with things, even if it doesn't really look that way yet.
But yeah for not coming out swinging yet she's doing quite well at holding her own.

Laughter best medicine

Jamie Lee's picture

I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything during this chapter.

Of all the students at Whateley Tink has become my favorite.

She's fearless, a bit on the brash side, and as carefree as they come. She's a sweetie.

As for the three little witches, dumber than a brick is an understatement. The three of them together don't have enough brains to coat the head of a pin.

And if they continue with their quest, something tells it's going to bite them big time. Or should that be small time?

Others have feelings too.

One more chapter

Domoviye's picture

And then the 3 are done for the most part. And it's an amusing ending.
I am having to do some rewriting however as Estelle's familiar was going to show up in the next chapter, but with changes to Fate Sucks that's not possible anymore.

Hahahahaha

Tas's picture

Best trap ever! Right up Tink's alley haha

-Tas

Hahahahaa

Hahahahahaa x9999
I never thought this story would make me laugh this much. hahahaha