A Tale of A Thousand Days and A Promise Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version
konachan-com-68167-amafuki_setsuka-blue_hair-blush-green_eyes-hanafubuki-japanese_clothes.jpg

Washed ashore with no money, no identity and no memory of a life before. Adopted by a kind family only to be plunged into the fires of war. Will the boy, more beautiful than any girl, live a life of happiness or sadness?

A Tale of A Thousand Days and A Promise
Chapter 1


By Shinieris

“Hey Mugi,” a girl, no older than twelve spoke while waiting for a fish to catch her bait.

“Hn?” a boy, slightly older beside her gave a short reply. Just like her, he was waiting for a fish to catch the bait.

“Do you think I should start wearing skirts now?” the girl asked.

“Haa? Ahahaha, what are you saying Ayu? That wouldn’t be you at all!”

“Don’t laugh! I’m tired of people mistaking me for a girl! No matter what I do, people just think I’m a boyish girl.”

“Hahaha, things would’ve been solved if you would just admit it and stop deluding yourself, Ayu.”

“See? Even you think I’m a girl!”

“Ahahahaha. You’re too funny, Ayu. Don’t make too much noise, you’ll scare the fish away.”

Contrary to his looks, Ayu was really a boy. Having an oval face with well-defined features, a long dark-blue hair that reached down to his chest and a pair of bright green eyes that shone like emeralds, only the blind could say that they were not captivated. A boy more beautiful than any other. A boy more beautiful than any girl. An unmatched beauty, one would be forgiven for calling it a goddess’s beauty, yet, it was the beauty of a boy.

“Maybe I should cut my hair...”

“NOO!!!”

“Eh? What’s with the strong response? And you’re scaring all the fish.”

“Urm, err. It’s just that short hair wouldn’t be you, either.”

“You know, I’m kind of sick of you dictating what I should and shouldn’t do.”

“Ahahaha, you’re the one who kept asking my opinion. Come on, don’t be so sulky. We’ve been friends since 10 years ago, right?”

“10 years ago I wasn’t even here, Mugi.”

“Is it? I forgot when you arrived here.”

Unlike Mugi, Ayu was not born here. One day the village children found him washed ashore all alone, wearing weird and barely fitting clothes and equipment. There was no indication where he came from as there had been no news of shipwrecks at the time he washed ashore. Not even he knew who he was, let alone where he was from. He couldn’t even recall his own name. So the villagers named him Ayu, as his dark blue hair was of the same colour of the fruit that grew near the sea.

“I wish I have some memory of it, Mugi. I wish I can remember at least what happened to my parents.”

“Mr. Sakao and Mrs Larin are doing well, you know. Especially after they copied your farming methods.”

“I’m talking about my real parent’s, Mugi!”

“I know, but it’s pointless to think about it, right? You’ll remember it one day, but if you can’t recall it, it’s pointless to try – oh crap, I think my hook is stuck.”

“Are you going into the water?”

“Yeah, can you bring up your rod? I’m jumping in.”

“Sure,” Ayu said as he retrieved his fishing rod. He didn’t want what happened to their friend Erus to happen again. Erus’s cheek still had the mark of the time when the copper fishing hook grazed his face when he went into the water to untangle their hook.

“Done. Pull it up and help me up. I think we should call it a day. I doubt there’s anymore fish in this river.”

“Alright,” Ayu retrieved the fishing rod carefully and put it aside before offering his hand towards Mugi.

Mugi grabbed the proffered hand, and pulled hard.

“Gyaaahhh!” Ayu screamed before he also fell into the water.

“Hahahaha.”

“You monkey! I don’t have a change of clothes!”

“Isn’t it good? We haven’t bathed together since you went all shy after your 10th birthday.”

“I didn’t want to bathe together because you were all perving on me! Your gazes were disgusting!”

“So it’s okay if I’m the only one perving on you, right?”

“No!” Ayu said as he pushed the boy under the water.

******
“I’m home, mom.”

“Ah, welcome home. Did you catch any fish?”

“Ah, only three luski today,” he said, referring to a type of long-bodied river fish with tough flesh.

“That’s a good catch. We can have fish stew today.”

“Sounds good, mom.”

Suddenly Ayu felt something hitting his butt. A pair of tiny hands swiftly wrapped itself around his waist. Ayu knew without looking who it was.

“Big sister, you’re back!” It was his 5 year old sister.

“Lila, how many times do I have to tell you? It’s big b-ro-th-er.”

“But you’re more beautiful than everyone’s big sisters, big sister.”

“No... just because I’m more beautiful... eh... I’m sounding conceited. Well anyway, you can’t say the person is a boy or girl just from looks alone.”

“Nn nn, Lila don’t care. Lila’s big sister is the prettiest in the village.”

“Ahhh... well whatever. Where did dad go, mom?”

“He’s hunting in the forest with the rest of the village men since morning. He should be back anytime soon. I hope this drought ends soon. The crops are already suffering,” his mom replied. Her hand was already busy removing the scales on the fish that Ayu brought back with the back of her knife.

“I hope so too. Even the river’s water level has dropped. There hasn’t been any rain for the past few weeks. If this continues, there won’t even be anything to fish.”

“Let’s go pray to the Goddess of Harvest tomorrow,” his mom suggested.

“Yay! Prayer! Prayer!”

“It’s not a game, Lila.”

“I’m home.”

“Oh welcome home, dear. Did you catch anything?”

“We took down a boar. Village chief and two others are cutting it up now. We can pick up our portion before the sun sets. But it was hard to find anything, it seems like those from other villages also thought of supplementing their food supply through hunting,” he said as he took off the pair of shoes that looked out of place in this backwater village and waxed it with great care before putting it away.

The pair of shoes was white with multicolored parts. On it was the symbol of three stripes, with the name Adidas written on it. This was the pair of shoes that Ayu arrived with six years previous, hanging loosely around his ankles. The other items that Ayu arrived with, a stretchable shirt with the name Polo and a pair of pants made of tough yet soft blue material with the name Levi’s were handed to the village chief and Hunter Kelfore respectively. Only the pair of shoes and a rusty foldable knife remained in the family’s possession.

“Let’s go pray to the goddess tomorrow, dear.”

“I don’t see how praying to the goddess will do anything, but sure, why not. Also, Ayu, tomorrow we’re going to fix the fence. So tell Mugi you can’t go on a date tomorrow.”

“Pfuh! Dad! It’s not a date! We’re just fishing!”

“Hahaha, sure, that’s what your mom told grandpa when we were kids too.”

“Except I told them we went out to pick fruits.”

Ayu’s mom and dad then started telling the story of how they dated in the forest or on the beach when they were Ayu’s age. Of course, they lied to their parents back repeatedly back then. Listening to their stories, Ayu felt like they must’ve used every excuse possible under the sky to fool their parents.

When Ayu’s parents told him about their secret place near a certain waterfall deep in the forest, Ayu said, “You’re both horrible. I’m not going to bring Mugi no matter how much you pester me!”

******

“Big sister...” Lila sobs could be heard even before she appeared in sight near the field that Ayu was cultivating.

“What is it, Lila?” Ayu asked as he put down the hoe he was using and sat on the handle. He wiped the sweat on his face with the piece of long cloth around his neck.

“Mikke – sniff – he took my shoes. Shoes – sniff – big sister made.”

Only now he realized that Lila was walking barefoot.

“Is that so? Then let’s go see Mikke and get your shoes back.”

“Yay! Let’s go beat him up, big sister!”

“No, beating him up is a bit overboard.”

“Carry!”

Ayu sighed, but allowed his little sister to sit on his shoulders.

When he arrived at the scene of the crime, he saw Mikke, a boy of only 6 walked around showing off ‘his’ new pair of shoes. It was actually a pair of feminine boots made of brown leather that reached up to the knees. Along the calf part were four leather belts that functioned in a similar way to shoelaces. The soles were made of rubber mixed with a little sulphur and carved by hand. Had the leather been black, it would’ve easily fit the description of a modern goth-loli boots.

It had the same design as the boots that Ayu was wearing. Ayu originally made it for himself since he went into the forest often. After seeing the boots, his sister Lila wanted one too. So he made a smaller one just for Lila. It could be said that there were only two pairs of these boots in the whole world.

Mikke, who boasted of having a new ‘expensive’ shoe to his friends suddenly had his head gripped tightly from behind.

“Oi, brat. I heard you stole something from my sister.”

Mikke, whose head was being gripped tightly, sweated profusely. Without even looking behind, he knew exactly who it was. He let out a, “Oh shit, it’s Ayu.”

“Give me back my shoes!” Lila demanded while still sitting on Ayu’s shoulders.

“Your shoes?” Mikke sweated even more. He knew what Ayu could do and still remembered what Ayu had done to him. Despite that, his pride as a boy couldn’t lose to a girl. “Uhh, what are you talking about? I don’t see your shoes anywhere.”

“Quit talking shit, brat. Take off that shoe now or I’ll take it off your body. I don’t care if I end up taking your legs too while I’m at it.”

“B-but this is my shoe. Dad gave it to me.”

“Oh really? Funny how I’m the only shoemaker in this village and your dad never bought anything other than straw sandals from me. Should we go ask your dad?”

“Wait! You win! I’ll take it off. Please don’t tell dad, big sister Ayu!”

“Who’s your big sister? Take it off now and maybe I’ll forget about this.”

Mikke quickly took off the shoes and handed it back to Lila, who had already climbed down from Ayu’s shoulders. Mikke then wore back the straw sandals he had thrown away when he took the shoes from Lila. Seeing the boots-wearing Lila and Ayu, in front of the sandal-wearing Mikke, one could be forgiven for thinking that they were of two different social class. The truth however, was that they were all commoners. It just so happened that Ayu had very talented hands, able to craft anything she could imagine.

“Well, I’ll be off then.”

Ayu caught Mikke by his neck before he could run off.

“How many times have it been, Mikke? Last time it was her hat, before that it was her gloves, before that it was her pouch. Are you the type who steal from girls, Mikke?”

“Eh? Well, I just wanted to try it. I wasn’t stealing them.”

“I’d really like to hear your definition of ‘stealing’ in front of your father, brat.”

“Wait, you said you wouldn’t tell my dad!”

“I said maybe. I’ve decided someone needs to teach you right and wrong.”

After ten minutes and much struggling on Mikke’s part, they finally arrived at Mikke’s family’s field. Without even listening to the boy’s pleading, the father gave Mikke’s butt five loud spankings. Considering that one would flinch just from listening to the sounds made, one could only imagine how painful it must’ve been for the boy. Satisfied that punishment was met, Ayu and Lila moved to leave, but suddenly, a completely unrelated topic snuck up on Ayu.

“So Ayu, when will you marry Mugi?”

“Wha-what are you saying, Aunt Helga!”

“Good things shouldn’t be postponed, Ayu.”

“It’s not a good thing, Uncle Glen. I’m a boy in the first place!”

“She’s still saying that, dear.”

“She is, at that, my dear.”

“Mou! Please believe me already, I’m a boy!”

“You should stop being a boyish girl and just marry Mugi already. It’d be nice to have a girl in the house. Boys are so rough.”

“Aunt Helga, I’m not a girl... see, I don’t even have breasts.”

“It’ll grow.”

“IT WILL NEVER GROW!!!”

“What will never grow?” Mugi’s suddenly appeared beside Ayu.

You will never grow!!!” Ayu yelled as he pushed Mugi into the shallow irrigation ditch next to the road before storming off with Lila in tow.

“What did I say?” Mugi asked with his face to the sky.

 

*Again, I had a dream. So I wrote this after I woke up.
**As usual, all your comments and feedbacks are welcomed. Praises helps me puff myself up so I can write faster. Constructive criticisms humbles me so I can do better job at writing.
***Seriously, say something okay? Or I'll cry (T_T)

up
145 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

.

That was awesome as usual. I was smiling the entire way through.

I love your writing style.

As a side night note, will we be seeing more of Felicia any time soon?

Felicia

shiinaai's picture

Oh yes, definitely. Next chapter is already 80% done. I've just been too busy with work that I haven't had time to finish it.

Thanks for reading. Please keep supporting me.

It's well written and

It's well written and entertaining as well. Looking forward to more.

Why do I believe she will

Why do I believe she will start growing and very likely out as well?

Growing

shiinaai's picture

Well, she said she won't grow, but I wonder lol

Thanks for reading. Please keep supporting me.

Tough Background...

...for me to figure out. Not sure to what extent Western civilization has affected things; we've had reference to worship of a goddess, agriculture, fishing and -- in a relative emergency -- hunting, and the only brand name products around seem to be the ones that came along with Ayu, all of which seems to put the outside influence at a minimum.

Granted, we haven't encountered anyone but common, apparently self-sufficient villagers so far. Still, if the clothing brands had been known by the villagers and connected to upper-class members of the culture here, they'd likely have assumed that Ayu was one of the elite and turned him in for a reward. There seems to be an implication that at least some of the villagers can read Western characters, though, if they could figure out Polo, Levi's and Adidas.

The evidence supports the hypothesis that Ayu was a male adult -- or at least much older than the six-year old who turned up on the beach -- prior to his appearance here. His superior agricultural knowledge (or intuition) is a point in favor, and his deftness at making footwear suggests to me that he may have been working with his hands in his previous life. (Does the boot style mean that he was a manga/anime fan?)

Is his past the reason he insists that he's male? One wouldn't think there'd be any public question as to the nature of his anatomy. When he first arrived on the beach in ill-fitting clothes, presumably villagers saw his body when they were removed. Ayu bathed with Mugi for around five years. Besides, an island culture like this one probably doesn't have much of a nudity tabu. Yet everyone we've met seems to believe he's anatomically female, and he isn't making the obvious move to demonstrate the contrary.

Looking forward to more.

Eric

Background

shiinaai's picture

Thank you for your comment. I can only say that the villagers couldn't actually read the words written, it was just the narration trying to tell the story so that it's more understandable. More background of Ayu and the village will be revealed in the second chapter. Please look forward to it.

Thank you for your support.

Cor ! You Lucky Person !

Oh Shiny One, I do so wish I could have dreams like your's.

Alas, when I finally fall asleep, all I get are reminders of when I was a small child... At age two I was asleep in my cot when a bomb fell on our house, and I awoke with the pain from a girder on one ankle, to an air filled with dust and the smell of burning. I could not move, and had to be rescued by some man who dug away to find me in the rubble. I heard this sound of chipping at things, until eventually a bright light shone in my eyes and a man shouted "This one is alive!". I was dug free and I cried "I want my Mummy!" and soon was given over to her, and we were both taken away to be billeted somewhere near.

Being in the middle of a war is no fun at all for a wee child. My memories are of seeing bits of dismembered bodies and smelling burning human flesh, of people emerging from a street shelter to see the gaps where their houses had stood and breaking down in tears having lost everything they had, to see gas mains burning, water mains bubbling up in the rubble-strewn streets, and more horrors than a small child can bear.

I generally don't sleep much, only 3 - 4 hours a night, which means I can get more things done than normal humans can, but I am afraid to sleep because of the recurring memories in my dreams...

The American Brand names do not help to identify the place where this story takes place, as these brands are found in most parts of the world now.

Ayu's long, blue-black hair could suggest him being Japanese, it may not be his name, but a misspelling of "Hey You !" Just a thought.

Japanese boys are free of body hair (except for those from their most northerly island, where a different people, the "Hairy Ainu" live), and have neat, girlish features but exhibit great strength.

The people in this place where he is now living could be survivors of a regressed post-total apocalypse of any western country or climate. A couple of generations ago there would have been enough survivors in any village with skills to make shoes, clothes and many other things, but in the totally marketised culture in which we now live, nobody remains who have such skills. Nearly all goods made come from south east and east Asia and are imported and sold in shops.

I admire the way you have left things vague and open to various interpretations. Some very successful post-apocalypse films have done this kind of thing, which stimulated the reader or viewer to fill in such details from their imaginations, which somehow gets them more involved in the work of fiction. It has worked, and I look forward to reading a lot more of this tale.

Thank you for your generosity in giving us access to it for free !

Briar

Dreams

shiinaai's picture

I'm sorry to hear that. Unlike you, I was born during a time when the world was already at peace, or at least my part of the world was at peace. I can't imagine how terrible it must be for you to spend your childhood having to survive bombs and watching people die. I hope your nightmares will end soon and you can sleep well again. Perhaps writing about your experiences can exorcise some of the demons? I know it worked for me at least, one reason I can sleep well is because I exorcised everything in my dreams or nightmares into stories, so I'm no longer attached to such regrets.

You've made some valid points in your comment. I hope I will be able to answer them in the future chapters. Please look forward to it and thank you for supporting me.

intriguing story as all of

intriguing story as all of your stories are.
i have different theories as to where Ayu came from though, either parallel universe or travelled back in time.
as to the question of whether Ayu is male or female remains to be figured out, I'm leaning towards he was originally male and changed into a female upon arriving in this strange world, especially since the clothes that Ayu was wearing were way too large and polo is directed more towards males

Intriguing

shiinaai's picture

Thank you for your comment. I love when my readers speculate, it makes me feel happy that my readers read my stories deeply enough to provide their own impressions. As for your theories, I'll try to answer them in the future chapters, but some things will be left vague, as I'm thinking of focusing on the 'promise' aspect instead of 'origin' aspect.

Thanks for reading, please keep supporting me in the future.