Horse Talk & The Girl Who Loved Them Chapter 15

Printer-friendly version

Chapter XV

She Talks to Her Horse

Tom was easy to get out of his stall. He wanted outside. I kept a steady conversation going with him as I put a bridle and saddle on him. I also made sure to keep my hands rubbing or scratching his ‘gotta love it’ areas. If they accept you, horses love to have the areas around their ears scratched. They like scratching under their chest and along their neck in front of their shoulders. Of course an all over brushing would have to wait until we returned. If we became good friends I would put my hands under his jaws, lay my head up against his forehead and talk to him. All of these things Tom would respond to, in his own way, letting me know how our friendship was growing.

Mike had his mare bridled and saddled before I even begin. Then he watched and waited as I worked with Tom getting him ready. When we rode out Mike was looking me over and shaking his head. “Jake, I’ve worked with that horse for over a month and he still fights me. In three days you have accomplished a working relationship with him.”

Leaning forward up along his neck I scratched him. “I told him if he will work with me then I will reward him.”

“You what!!”

“Not in so many words but in language we both understand. Like most animals, Tom’s language is touch. He responds to what he likes or doesn’t like. I’m not trying to be his master. I want to be his friend. I don’t want Tom to work for me but to work with me. Like people who speak a different language, Tom and I have a problem communicating until he and I understand the body language signals. With people it would be sign language. With animals it is the same thing but only in body language. It is give and take on both sides. I’m not going to demand anything from him. He is beginning to realize that.”

Nodding toward the mare Mike was riding I shook my head. “Your horse is submissive. She has accepted humans are going to want something from her and she is willing to go along. If you happen to get knocked off out in the great open she will head for the barn and her food, happy you are no longer on her back. She owes no one her friendship or her allegiance.”

“I’m not sure at this point what Tom would do if I fell off. He isn’t sure himself. He likes me but it is a budding friendship. Like humans who work together over time, Tom would be there for me if something happened.”

Looking at Mike I winked at him. “Treat them like your friend instead of like slaves and they will return the affection the same way. Not all of them but many will. Like people you just have to understand which ones are willing to work with us.”

I had never been on a ranch big enough to not head home for food or water when one wanted. Mike’s ranch was huge. It turned into a long day without lunch since we didn’t bring any with us. We rode up mountains and down canyons counting bulls, calves, cows, and even dead carcasses where only a few bones were left. It was after dark when we got back and Mike told me we hadn’t even covered half of it.

He took his gear off his mare, led her into a stall, and gave her hay and water. He was headed for the house. “I’ll tell Consuelo to set out a couple plates. Wash up as soon as you get Tom settled.”

“I’ll be awhile. I’m going to brush Tom down as I tell him how much I appreciated his help today.” I headed for the granary to get him some grain along with his hay and water.

Mike stopped, turned to look at Katrina, shook his head, and then headed to the house muttering to himself. “She’s going to talk to him?”

It was late by the time I had fed and brushed Tom, checked on Albert, ate, bathed, and found a bed.

================================================

“You willing to do it again?” Mike was looking at me across from the breakfast table.

“Sure, but this time we take food and water.” I was moping up the last of my eggs with my toast.

He nodded. “Consuelo, pack us lunch while we get the horses ready. I told Carlos to leave a couple fresh mounts in the coral. My mare was ready to drop by she got back to the barn.”

“So I noticed. I’ll stick with Tom. He thought it was great exercise.” I gathered up my dishes to put in the sink.

Mike was almost out the door when he stopped. “Tom thought it was great exercise? You’re pulling my leg.”

I was behind Mike pushing him out the door. “No, really. Ask him if you don’t believe me.”

Mike rolled his eyes. “If Tom slips on his saddle an offers you a leg up, then I’ll believe you.”

Laughing, I shook my head. “That’s asking a little too much. However if I turn Tom lose and hold up the bridle ‘and’ if he comes to me then will you believe me?”

Mike nodded in agreement. “Then I’ll believe you.”

I led Tom from the barn out to the coral and turned him lose before I headed back to the barn to get his bridle. With the bridle in hand I was standing inside the gate and was holding it up. “Tom, you want to go out and check on the cows again? Come if you do.” I was wondering if I had asked Tom too quickly about being friends?

Mike along with Consuelo, and all the ranch hands who hadn’t already left were standing on the porch of the house watching. Mike told them what I was going to do. So far nothing was happening besides Tom and me standing there looking at one another while I tried to coax him in. It looked like I had pushed a little too hard for Tom’s acceptance.

Minutes later some of the ranch hands were starting to leave, Consuelo opened the door to walk back into the house, Tom walked up to me. Everyone froze as they watched. Tom sniffed my hair, my shirt, and my hands before he bumped me with his nose.

“damn” carried softly across the yard as Mike and all the others watched in disbelief. “She and that horse really do talk to each other. Most unbelievable thing I’ve ever seen. Albert, you seeing this?”

“Yeah, I don’t believe it either.” Came from the window on the east side of the house.

Of course I was smiling from ear to ear as I scratched Tom around the ears and under his jaw before I slipped the bridle on him. “I love you, you great big handsome devil you. Has anyone ever told you how beautiful you are? Well you are. Ask me. I‘m a great judge of beautiful horses and you’re a beauty.”

I was leading him out of the coral to get the saddle still in the barn. “Another day, chasing cows. I guess that’s why we are called cowboys…, Well, me anyway. And I wouldn’t shame you by calling you a cow pony. No Sir Mister, you’re a thoroughbred, a leader and a champion in every respect.”

The horses, Mike, and me worked harder that day than we did the day before. It was rough for both rider and horses, as we climbed hills and gullies. We counted calves, cows, heifers, and bulls marking all down on a pad with a pencil. Mike told me electronic gizmos such as calculators required batteries which didn’t come easily in his part of the world.

It was way after dark when we finally returned to the house. Mike stayed with me in the barn as he rubbed down his mount, giving her grain, and extra feed while I did the same for Tom.

“You’re a good influence Jake.” He was walking beside me toward the house. “I only put them up with feed and water after ridding all day. I’d swear she appreciated the grain I gave her.”

“She did, and so did Tom. When we ask a lot from them and give back extra they do appreciate it. Treat them like you would a human friend. Reward them when you asked for them to go the extra mile with you.”

=================================================

Mike was looking at me from across the breakfast table. “Jake, next week the ship will be in place to pick you up. Tom and me are going to be back to square one. Tell me how to make him behave so I can ride him.”

Shaking my head I looked at my plate before turning my attention back to Mike. “You haven’t been listening. You don’t make Tom do anything. You ask him. He isn’t a submissive horse like most horses are.”

“Okay, then how do I ask him?”

“It’s going to be difficult for both of you because you mistreated him from the beginning. You tossed a rope on him and then pulled him into that snubbing post before putting a bridle and saddle on him. He doesn’t like you.”

Mike stared at me with his mouth open. “He doesn’t like me? He’s a horse. I don’t need him to like me.”

“Yes you do if you and him are going to get along together.”

“Jake, I won’t have a horse that can’t be rode.”

“I’m not telling you how to run your ranch but you need to take the time to become his friend if you want him to work with you. You and that damn horse are a couple of stubborn knot heads too full of self righteous pride. It makes you better than most but also is your biggest weakness when neither of you will bend. Give up some of that foolish pride of yours and accept Tom for what he is. When you do, he will give some too.”

“And how old are you?”

“Eighteen.”

“I’m being lectured to by a teenager. I can’t believe my life has come to this.”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean for it to sound like that. I’m thankful for everything…,”

“Don’t apologize Miss McDonald. When you’re right and you know it, you don’t apologize because the other person didn’t like the message.” A smile spread across his face. “So…, how do I become friends with Tom?”

Tom and I were in the yard as I scratched his gotta love it spots. I had a halter on him instead of a bridle. He needed to be as free as possible and standing on neutral ground. The coral carried memories with Mike involved. Mike had been waiting by the house as I brought Tom out of the barn.

As I talked to Tom, I motioned to Mike. “Slowly come up and stand in front of him. Don’t touch him. Let him smell you and understand you aren’t tossing a rope on him this time. When he understands you are there and aren’t going to mistreat him, then you can pet him.

The morning was spent with both of us talking to and working with Tom. I counted it a success when Tom let Mike lead him by the halter without trying to break away. I think Mike stayed with it past lunch just so when the men retuned for dinner they would see him and Tom together.

As Mike led Tom back to the stall in the barn I walked along with them staying close to Tom’s head so he would know I was there. As we headed back to the house, Mike nodded and smiled. “Now we’re friends.”

“No, he acknowledged you today. When you walk up to someone and shake hands it doesn’t make them your friend. Mike, think of them as people instead of animals bending to your will. Friendship develops over time. You have a lot of bad times to overcome before he accepts you as a friend.”

He stopped and stared at me. “You and him that first day…”

I shook my head. “We were learning to accept one another, we weren’t friends. I’m still not his friend. That takes time. I’m one he accepts.”

“The other day out in the coral when he came to you?”

“I’m the one who has let him out of that coral. Probably the first time in weeks. People, Mike, think of in terms of people. Some are stupid, some are intelligent. If he wanted out of the coral then I was the ticket to his desires.”

He looked off into the distance before looking at me again. “And how did you become so astute in horse logic?”

“I grew up on a farm with lots of animals. Cows, horses, dogs, cats, all have a mind and each one is an individual just like us. I’m not that smart myself. I let them tell me what they like or don’t like. I try and understand what they want from me when I ask something from them.”

He nodded as he motioned toward the house. “How long will it take for Tom and me to become friends?”

“Months, maybe years. You mistreated him. That is going to take a lot of tinder care from you and lot of time from him to forgive.”

“Miss, McDonald…,”

“Don’t tell me you can’t spare the time. Friendship be it two legged or four legged is worth working for.”

We stepped up on the porch and he opened the door. “Are we friends?”

I stopped and looked into his eyes. “My life is in your hands. Are we?”

Mike laughed. “When the bombs start dropping and two people dive into the same foxhole, even if you never met, I promise you’re instant buds and best friends. Jake, we’re friends. I wish you were thirty years older or I was thirty years younger. You’re a woman I could give my heart to. But then you already stole it, along with Albert’s, and every man on this ranch. It isn’t only the animals you have seduced, Miss McDonald.

Blushing from the top of my head to the bottoms of my feet, I shook my head as I waked into the house.

up
276 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Awwwwww!

Christina H's picture

Barbie Lee -I have run out of superlatives for this story is the technique described
what we uninitiated would call 'Horse Whispering'

yeeehaw!

I grew up around horses my entire life, I was the girl who could catch any runaway misbehaving mare, foal, stud you name it. I didn't try and chase them down, I'd go out to where they were at, walk up talking softly and ask them would they please come back with me, and if they did I have a nice sugar cube or two for them. I didn't have any logic to it, I wasn't an expert rider, I just loved horses, and they could tell... The worst one I ever caught, she was old paint named Ladybird and she decided my straw hat was lunch, while I was wearing it... =]

I've never had a writer or hell, even owner understand what you wrote about how she tries to be friends with the horses... it's so true what you wrote for us, thank you so much for being articulate enough to put into words what I never could...I was never able to rope anything, let alone something moving, I didn't catch them so much, more like convincing them to come back with me so your story brings me back to a much happier simpler time in my life, so I thank you for such a well thought out and loving story!!

I never tried to saddle on a horse I didn't know, they didn't like it, and let you know it. =]

This I understand

If I was 30 years younger there is a man who I would give myself to. No use worrying about it. He is Saudi.

Gwen

Great story and lots of very

Great story and lots of very good advice from Jake to Mike and to all of us. I had two Uncles who both raised horses from birth to adulthood; and they both pretty much said the same things as Jake just explained to Mike.
I don't remember either ever using a hitching/snubbing post in their corrals. .