Shadow of the Heart Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version


Shadow of the Heart

Chapter 3

Exposed

Play along that is easy for them to say. They were not in a van with 4 bruisers heading for who knows where. This was bad! Where was the back up I was to wait for? They bound our hands and feet with duct tape. that would make my response limited. I could get out of this by myself pretty easy if bloody. This was going to be a hard fight to keep both of us alive.

It was an hour later when we got to where ever they were taking us. We were took from the van to a house. My guess would be somewhere in the country out of the way. We were put in a bedroom on a bed older than I am. They left us alone for now. The emergency beacon in my earpiece was always a option but would cut my battery life to 1 day. I waited and wondered if I would need to use my skills to kill the bruisers and get us out of here.

One guy came in and took off the bags and gave us some water. His face was covered so we had a chance. If they plan to kill us he would not bother to hide his face. When he left he left the bags off. His mistake. I studied the room. It had ranch style furniture and was old, real old. In one corner was something that made me smile. It was a full free standing mirror. The earpiece crackled "Escape at all cost!" came through.

Well I had a way out but this would be hard on him. I worked the tape with my sharp nails. Soon my hands were free. I cut my legs free the same way. I worked on his legs first then his hands. I gave him a look that said he better be quiet. Instead of heading for the window I headed for the mirror. I whispered "Don't ask questions just trust me to get us out of this." He hid not look happy but nodded. I turned to the mirror and touched the four corners, knocked on the center three times and whispered "Wind Haven." The mirror clouded over as the portal opened. I took his hand and stepped through pulling him along.

I stepped out into the room and pulled him through till I could shut down the portal. I sent a shatter spell before I did so. There was no way they could follow us now. The old stone keep was just as I left it. I turned to him and said "We are safe now. We will rest here an hour then go to a safe house I know of. Oh and don't ask any questions about where we are now. You would just find the answers disturbing." I pulled out a bottle of wine and two glasses. "You look like you could use a drink." I poured the wine and took a sip.

He smiled "I wont ask how you did that but I will ask Who the Hell are you?"

I smiled back at him "I was hired to protect you. That's all you need to know. I am going to do just that. So just sit back and enjoy the ride." I sipped and waited for the rant I was sure was coming. He just looked around and gulped the wine sticking out his glass for more. I liked this guy. He was taking it a lot better than I did the first time I was brought here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20 Years ago in a different life.

The box was addressed to him but in it was a girls jewelry box. This confused him. Who would send such a thing to a 10 year old boy? My Mother gasped when she caught sight of the gift. What could this mean? She went to take it from me but decided not to at the last second. She said "Open it slowly Allen." I did as I was told and in the center of the box was a beautiful pendant. My Mother gasped again. She said "Put on the pendant and follow me." She took me to her room and told me "Touch the four corners of the mirror then knock three times in the center of the mirror and say Wind Haven." I did as I was told not knowing what to expect.

The Mirror clouded and swirled till there was a opening in the center. My mother took my hand then stepped into the mirror. It was so strange that I just followed with out questioning if I could. We had stepped out at another place. The walls were stone and very old. There was an ancient bed and other stuff in the room. there was a window so I went and looked out. From what I could see we were in a tower of a castle! Mother was looking around with a smile on her face. I asked "Mother where are we and how did we get here?"

She smiled "We are in the castle of Wind Haven. We traveled through a magical portal to get here. Your pendant is the key to make any large mirror into a portal using the ritual you did to open the portal this time. This is your inheritance. It seem your Grandmother thinks you are one of the special people. I will teach you what she taught me and we will see where it goes. All this is yours!"

And so began my education in the strange art of portal travel and magic. The next three years I was busy living in two worlds. Then my mother came down with Cancer and I was left alone. The Aunt I was sent to live with was not in the know so I did not tell her about Wind Haven.

Having to hide traveling to Wind Haven made the times few and far between. I did not want anyone to know about my ultimate escape. So I kept it all to myself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wind Haven the present.

The one spell I knew real well was the forget spell. When we leave I will make him forget all about Wind Haven. I hope it wont go any farther than that. I don't use magic often but I do know how. I rarely make a mistake when working my magic. He seem to be a good guy I would not like to wipe him away.

It was hen that he surprised me. He smiled "How long have you been a Mage? I know about them but you are the first I have ever met." I shook my head he was a almost. He almost knew what was going on.

I smiled "Longer than you would believe. You know I can't let you keep that information. I have guarded that bit of info for more years than you have been alive." So I was exaggerating a bit there. I watched him as that sunk in. Here is where he tries to be the Big Man and Macho it up. He surprised me again.

With a grin he said "I know that if I try you will use your magic to stop me so I will just ask you don't take all my memories." This guy really is pushing my buttons. I am not sure what to do about him. No, he is a target not a boyfriend! I got to keep in control!

It is time to go back. We will be going to a safe house so all will be good. I cast the forget spell centered on anything to do with me. And while it worked I opened the portal. I pulled him through. I closed the portal and set him on the couch waiting for him to come out of it. I tried the earpiece and got a blast of sound orders and counter orders. I guess my little disappearing act really got them going. I used the safe house cell phone to call in and tell them the target and I are fine. The office was in a uproar over the whole thing. I got to my contact and reported in. She said the Brass were in a tizzy over how I got out of there. They could not figure it out and that made those control freaks mad. I was to stay out of the way till everything was straitened out. That means staying with the target for a bit. Oh joy.

He was waking up. He looked at me and smiled "The spell did not work I still remember you and what you are. Don't worry I am not going to tell anybody. I am quite good at keeping secrets." This was not good. Could he be a Null? One magic does not work on? That would just be my luck. What am I going to do now?

To be Continued,

As always all Life Giving Comments are Welcome and Loved!

(I know this one is real short, sorry)

up
183 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

this just keeps

Alecia Snowfall's picture

this just keeps getting more interesting. I can't wait to find out what this guy's deal is.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Most definitely a talent,

Most definitely a talent, whether magical or a gift of an ability to bend space and time, well worth being able to perform. Going and bringing out hostages or people who are going to be killed and then simply disappearing with them. Way cool.

No Indication...

...that I've seen to suggest that she can bend time. (That "twenty years ago" was a story flashback, not a destination.)

Eric

OK

Now have us all hooked, I hope you continue soon. So many questions and only your story to answer them. :)

Joanna

I like it.

Keep it going please. :)