Horse Talk & The Girl Who Loved Them Chapter 20

Printer-friendly version

Chapter XX

Mexico Closer to Home

"Where? What am I supposed to do? I don't have any money. I need to talk to Leo, and…, oh my god, I forgot to call mom and dad and tell them I'm okay." The ride in the country and the party had caused too much distraction. It was inexcusable to not call my parents earlier that day and let them know I was fine.

Ecetra walked me into my bedroom. "Use the phone by the desk and call if you wish. If you don't remember how to phone out then push one and security will connect you. John and Katherine McDonald have a daughter they can be proud of. You will be flying up to Mexico City to pick up two horses and ship them to Rio. Your handler Kevin passed you off to Phoenix Corporation. They purchased your contract. You will be working for them now."

"SAY WHAT! I can't go back to Brazil! Those people want to kill me! And I don't have a contract with Kevin. Nothing I signed anyway. I was told to baby sit an insane horse named Heater on a ride to Brazil. After that I was to fly to Venezuela pick up another horse and chaperone her to France. I don't know what was in store after that. That's all Leo had explained to me." I stopped and was studying Ecetra to see how much she understood or if she believed the story. Heck, I wouldn't believe it if someone tried to tell me that kind of tale.

A smile slowly spread across her face as she watched me. "Miss McDonald, no one in Brazil would try and kill you. The information they were trying to keep from escaping is a moot point as we have it. You dropped off the film and that's the end of it. Heads would roll if they tried to kill you now. I can honestly say you have made most every major newspaper in the United States and other parts of the world. You are America's goodwill, sweetheart ambassador."

"In five days you will go to party for Mexico's Ambassador, Manuel Rodreuz and our Ambassador, Don Burch. When you get to Brazil, you will do the same with Simon Pladure and Ambassador William Ware."

"You're kidding! That was one of the men I escaped from although I didn't know it at the time. You certainly don't expect me to go back?" It shocked me she suggested I step right back into the lion's den where I had fled from only days before. People had died and Ecetra was suggesting I was to go back?

She turned and reached for the door. "A suitcase is on your bed. Put your dress in it. You may have to wear it at the next party but I doubt it. Brenda is going to help you in Mexico City. You have a suit dress in your closet. Wear it for the flight tomorrow."

"Wait! I don't have any money. I can't pay for any of this." I was sure someone was going to be terribly disappointed when they tried to collect for what I was wearing, much less the plane ticket I was supposed to buy.

Ecetra shook her head as she looked at me. "I know this is a little fast for you Miss McDonald so I'll try and explain it. This morning Kevin Dalder called and said he would take care of all expenses. At eleven Phoenix Corporation called saying they had taken over your contract and they would take care of all your expenses. At two this afternoon, Valley Downs Farms called and said they were wiring money for your needs. What really put the icing on the cake was when Georgia Modeling Agency called. They said they had talked to your mom and would up front a hundred thousand for all rights contract to handle your modeling career."

She looked down at the floor as she laughed. "Money? Miss McDonald, you have three…, four companies who basically said, give her anything she wants and we will pay for it. I don't think money is a problem here. Getting organized in your time schedule is the problem and that should straighten out in Mexico City. You will have two days for your entourage to find you and start grooming you to their expectations."

“The dress and your accessories were paid for out of discretionary funds we have for emergencies such as this. It was listed in along with the cost of the dinner party tonight.”

Her eyes saddened as she walked back over and wrapped up my right hand in both of hers. "Katrina, they will try to change you into their idea of the perfect model, the All Around Cowboy, the goodwill ambassador. Don't let them. You're a breath of fresh air. So young, naive, innocent, and yes, even beautiful. You haven't learned to play politics and I hope you never do. We stab each other with lies and deceit as we go about our business. We step over the bodies of our predecessors as we climb the ladder to the top, knowing we will be one of those cast offs when we are no longer useful to the present person in power."

She pulled me into a hug as she kissed my cheek. "Don't let them change you Jake."

Moving back, I looked into the eyes of a very strong woman. I knew she was a woman who turned heads and capture hearts wherever she went. I also didn't believe there would ever be anyone walking over her to get to the 'top' as she so aptly put it. "Thank you Miss VanDuval. You're a very beautiful woman. I wish I had half your grace, poise, and beauty."

“You already have all those things Katrina. In your own way. You are above all the rest of us because from you, it comes honestly without any deceit behind it.” Ecetra turned and walked out of the room pulling the door closed behind her.

I was still trying to catch up to what she told me. I guess the problem of money was solved but I had no idea how. I hadn't seen any. It would make me feel a little better if I had some in my hand rather than people telling me I had it when I couldn't see it. I guess that was the country girl in me.

I called mom and dad and knew I was getting them out of bed. When she first heard my voice, mom became so excited she was screaming into the phone. After she calmed down and passed the phone off to dad, he was just the opposite. You would have thought I was phoning him from my room. It was the way they both were. Mom always made too much of a little thing and dad always acted like that was the way it was always supposed to be.

I told them I was okay and everything seemed to be fine. Dad asked me to wait a minute while he dragged the phone over to the door. I heard a snort and knew who it was. "Oh, Gun, I miss you so much. I wish it was you and me out chasing calves across the pasture again. I miss you…, Take care of mom and dad for me and I'll be home when Bill say's it's okay. I love you."

Mom came back on the line. "I think he knew it was you calling, Katrina. He walked up to the door when the phone rang. We love you hon. You'll be home real soon."

"Bye momma. Tell dad and Gun I said bye." I hung up and cried as I felt the heartache of being away from those I had loved all my life.

Minutes later I had washed my face in the bathroom and dried most of my tears. Unless a Blue Northerner was cutting across the fields, I never slept in more than panties. The satin night gown I was looking at when I walked over to my bed was appealing but not my style. I slipped out of my borrowed dress and slip and hung them up. After removing my makeup and everything else, I headed for bed.

Gunshy and I were ridding across the open fields when he stumbled and fell. I was tossed over his head as he went down. "Miss McDonald, you must get up and catch your flight."

It had been a dream and someone was shaking my bed. "Miss McDonald, are you awake?"

I pried my eyes open and looked up at Dalia. "I'm awake."

She backed up. "I laid out a dress for you and packed your suitcase. You have to hurry, your flight leaves in less than an hour. I'll help you get dressed."

With Dalia's help, twenty minutes later I was headed down the stairs carrying a suitcase and a brown leather shoulder purse. Dalia had performed some magic and I didn't look like the girl my parents had said goodbye to a few days before. I was wearing a brown suede, long sleeved, dress and black flats. I balked at the silver earrings and necklace she wanted me to wear but in the end, Dalia won out.

Don and Ecetra were waiting. He reached out and took the suitcase. "I have the Hummer ready. Meet me out front."

Ecetra walked up and wrapped me up in her arms as she gave me a hug. Backing up she pressed a piece of paper in my hand. "If you ever need anything, call this number. I'll be there."

"Ecetra, thanks for everything. I hope I can return the favor sometime." I put the note into my purse.

Smiling she pointed toward the door. "Don't let them change you Jake. Now go so you don't miss your flight."

After driving me to the airport, Don walked me through the terminal and handled the tickets and passport information. He waited at the gate until I was on the jet. He was still there when we taxied out and took off. It felt nice to have someone watching to make sure I was safe. Don, Jim, and all the others would always have a place in my heart for all they did for me.

Mexico City, what a smoggy place and loaded with people. I didn't have a chance to get lost as two uniformed officers gathered me up as I deboarded the plane. "Miss McDonald, come with us."

One of them took my suitcase from me and led the way while the other followed along behind. The pass through customs was just that. I mean we walked right through without stopping. We went right out the front of the terminal to a limousine. The one with the suitcase opened the door. "Your chauffeur, Miss McDonald."

I don't guess it would have done any good to ask questions as I didn't seem to have much choice in the matter. I slid in as the first officer put my suitcase in the trunk and the other officer closed my door. It was the first limousine I had ever been in and it looked big enough to be a house inside that car. It was also kind of lonesome being the only one in the car beside the driver. Was I impressed? Not really. Someone wasted a lot of money on me as I wasn't the kind of farm girl who enjoyed all the pomp of being chauffeured. My style was sitting up front and looking where I was going. I looked at the buildings and people as the driver wove his way through traffic that was bumper to bumper. It was hard to believe people really lived like this in or out of that big old car.

The driver pulled up to the front of a Hilton Hotel and stopped. A man walked up and opened my door. "Buenos dios, senorita McDonald. It's an honor to have you stay at our hotel."

As I slid out there was a tall, handsome, Latin man taking my suitcase out of the trunk. The first man said something in Spanish and turned toward me. "Please this way, Miss McDonald. Your suite is waiting for you."

“Sweet? I didn’t want a sweet.”

“Um…, your suit, Miss McDonald?”

"Suit? No thanks, I have enough clothes. More than enough. I can't handle more than one suitcase and a horse or two at the same time." I was sure I didn't want any more clothes unless they were my jeans and denim shirts I had in my lost suitcase. My hat and lariat would be better than clothes.

"Pardon?" He looked puzzled.

"I don't want a suit. It means more weight and I already have all the clothes I want. Those that someone else thinks I should be wearing anyway." I thought I was pretty clear on the matter.

Slowly his puzzled look turned to a broad smile. "No, you misunderstood, Miss McDonald. I said suite and it's a room in the hotel. If you would be so kind as to follow me, please."

Embarrassed I turned to follow the gentleman. I was thinking when he mentioned suite or suit or whatever, it was more clothes instead of a hotel room. You can bring the farm girl to the city but you'll never take the farm out of her. Bill and I never stayed at any of them places fancy enough to have suites when we were on the road. It was a room if we pulled off for the night.

The man walked across the wide veranda to the entry of the hotel which was huge itself. It was stretch across there to the front desk. He stopped at the desk and held out his hand. "Senorita McDonald's suite."

"Certainly, welcome to the Hotel Hilton, Miss McDonald. Please let us know if there is anything you desire." The dark haired beauty behind the desk dropped a card in the man's hand as she looked at me.

"Uh, yes, thanks." I could see this was going to cost a lot of money. Money I didn't have.

I stepped up to the desk and leaned over to whisper to the man and woman. "I don't have any money to pay for this."

The woman looked puzzled. The man smiled and nodded his head. "Miss McDonald, please accept my sincere apologies. I should have explained. Mr. Duwayne Hulst of the Phoenix Corporation arranged for the room. I believe you have guests arriving at six this evening. You may want to rest or freshen up before they arrive?"

"Whatever, as long as you know I don’t have any money. I couldn't even afford a hamburger right now." I was tired of the whole situation. I would have paid a million dollars I didn't have, to be home right at that moment.

"Please let me take care of all your needs, Miss McDonald. Now, if you would like, your room?" He motioned toward the elevators.

I'm sure we went to the top floor but I couldn't prove it. My sweet as that guy called it? Bigger than my home back in Montana. It was huge.

The gentleman motioned for the man following us with the suitcase to sit it on a table. "May we hang up your clothes, Miss McDonald?"

"Uh, no thanks. Not much there. I have a dress, pair of jeans, a shirt, and that's pretty well it." I was wondering what I could do in a room this big? Okay, it was several rooms as far as I could tell.

"As you wish." He said something to the other man in Spanish and the smaller guy left.

"I am your concierge, Miss McDonald. If there is anything you want all you have to do is ask. The key fits the slot in the elevator console and it's the only way you can get back to the penthouse. If you lose it or have problems, call me. Your party arranged for dining at six. I understand there will be a party of five. If you are hungry and would like something before then, please ask or call down to the desk. My purpose is to serve you and make your visit in our hotel as pleasant as possible. May I get you anything before I leave?" He held out the card in his hand.

Hesitantly I took the card. "No, you're very kind. I appreciate it. I hope you get paid."

Laughing he shook his head. "Miss McDonald, you are so young. You are the only person I have ever met who worried about me getting paid. Believe me, Mr. Hulst has taken care of everything. It is an honor to have America's All Around Cowboy at our hotel. They say you are the number one roper in the world. You are both beautiful and talented. Please enjoy your stay."

He was gone before I could tell him I wasn't the number one roper. I don't know if I would even qualify to be number nine thousand, nine hundred, and ninety nine or not? Probably not. It was onto exploring the rooms as I wondered who in the devil was Mr. Duwayne Hulst? Out of curiosity I picked up the telephone by the bed.

"Yes, Miss McDonald." Came from the phone.

Startled I almost dropped it. "Uh, ah, nothing. I'm sorry. I didn't know it was…, I'm sorry."

I hung it up embarrassed I had caused someone any trouble. I was wishing for a watch but that was probably lost along with all my other clothes. Which reminded me. I opened the suitcase and took out the dress Ecetra let me wear at the embassy party. She said I might need it again. I hung it up. The jeans and shirt I left in the suitcase from habit as much as anything else. Those places Bill and I stayed at didn't have much in the way of clothes hangers and it didn't make much difference. We only stayed at any one place long enough to close our eyes. No need of unpacking. Took precious time we didn't have to spare.

The phone rang and I jumped out of my skin. I picked it up. "Hello?"

"Miss McDonald, you have a guest. Mr. Leonard LeBo is here. Shall I have him wait in the lobby or send him up?" Was a soft Latin voice on the other end.

up
316 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I loved the play with words

I loved the play with words. It is something that happens for real but it is still fun.

Wonderful chapter!!

It does seem

she has lost all control of her life. Not a good situation.

So confused

She's so far out of her element, she doesn't even know what she doesn't know. That's how it has been most of my life.

Gwen

Swept up in the current

Caught in currents she has no control of, Jake is constantly off balance. I know I have felt that way before but never to the extent she is.

Her story is exciting and I have enjoyed reading it.

Jeri

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

Not sure she should this Mr

Not sure she should this Mr.LeBo up to her room un-escorted until she finds out exactly who he is. Just seems like things are going way too fast for her and she just needs to get her feet back down on the ground and get some understanding behind her.

Re: Not sure she should meet this Mr. LeBo...

Actually, she met Leonard LeBo before she left the states. He picked her up and informed her, back in Chapter 6, that she would have to work with a horse named Heater that needed to be shipped down to Brazil. She did the job and everything else followed from there.

She may not know Mr. LeBo well, but she knows that he works for the guy that was hiring her initially to help move horses.

So Mr. LeBo is unlikely to be a danger to her, and his coming there to see her is likely in the sense of extending the olive branch.