A Love So Bold - Chapter 34 - 38

Printer-friendly version

LoveSoBold_0.jpgA Love So Bold
by Anon Allsop

The story continues - Hope you enjoy!

-Thirty Four-

Hannah and Cade watched Gideon and Charles stand off to the side and discuss the fee for the wagons to ride across the Green; from the looks on their faces they were not happy. She removed her bonnet and held it in her hand, quickly looking back toward a sleeping Em. "Papa doesn't look too happy, does he?" Cade whispered.

"No honey, he does not." She sighed, as the man continued to gesture toward their wagon. Gideon shook his head and waved him off, then turned and stormed back toward the wagon, Charles and the man exchanged words before he too headed back.

Gideon's expression was of a man who didn't like what he had heard. He climbed up into the wagon and sat staring at the man, his jaws flexing in anger. "Well?" Hannah, asked, breaking the sullen silence.

"They want five dollars to use the raft!" he exclaimed, just as Charles walked up to their wagon.

"That doesn't seem too bad," she replied.

"That's only for one wagon, it’s ten dollars for both of ours... that big black horse would even be extra." Charles spat and leaned against the wagon, mulling over his options.

“The way I figure, we can always backtrack and take the road to Fort Bridger, or press on and see if we can find somewhere to cross the Green," Charles offered, and then looked up to Gideon who was still staring down the man.

"Look at all those folks, lining up to take the rafts. These robbers will make over a hundred dollars each before lunch!"

Charles sighed, "Seems that an honest man can't catch a break."

Hannah pushed a fiery lock from drifting in her face, "Do we not have five dollars?"

"We have it, but we'll need to buy building supplies when we get to the Willamette Valley." He sighed, and then looked at Hannah, "It'll be alright, it may just take us a bit longer to get there." He saw the Wagon Master and quickly climbed down, "I'll ask Les if he knows which way they are traveling to Fort Bridger."

She looked down at Charles, "Will we have to pay to go there?"

He shook his head, "It’ll be a longer route but we'll save a bit of our money to take it." He glanced toward her; it looked as though he may have been hiding something.

"There's more, isn't there?" She gave him a serious look, "What isn't he telling me?"

Charles looked at his feet, and then mumbled softly. "The man said some not so good words about you." He hesitated then continued, "It was all I could do to keep your husband from tearing him apart."

"What did the man say?" She held her hand up, "No wait, I don't think I really want to know." As she sat there, Charles was still looking as though there were more on his mind. "Out with it! What else are you keeping from me?" she demanded.

"He wanted Gideon to trade your Pa's big black for a trip across the Green."

She sat quietly, letting his words soak. As they remained in silence, Gideon returned.

"There are a few wagons that can't afford what those highwaymen are asking, they'll be meeting soon to organize and head out toward the Fort." He climbed up and took his seat on the wagon, then looked down toward Charles. "I'll swing the wagon around and meet up with you and Arden."

"We leaving, papa? We just got here!" Cade sighed, wanting to take the raft.

Gideon laughed, "I did too, son, I wasn't ready to go either."

As Gideon was about to turn the wagon, another pulled alongside. It was Gabe, the boy who had crushed his legs, and his mother. “I want to thank you for saving my son’s legs, Hannah. I don’t know how I could ever repay you.”

“You have already done it, your thanks was payment enough,” Hannah replied softly. “I’m just glad he healed so remarkably well.”

The boy smiled and patted his thighs, “It was as though they weren’t damaged at all!”

“Hannah, we need to be going.” Gideon whispered, “We’re blocking the road sitting here.”

“Godspeed with you and your son. Sadly, it looks as though we’ll be separating here and heading toward Fort Bridger for supplies instead.” Hannah reluctantly added, “Have a safe journey, perhaps we’ll see each other in Oregon.”

The woman nodded and smiled, and the youth gave a short wave to them as each slowly began to pull away from each other. Hannah sat quietly until Gideon had turned around their wagon, once he began to slowly drive them toward the meeting point, she glanced toward him.

"Charles said they would have traded a ride for Blackie." She continued their prior conversation, and to study him for reaction, "If it would have gotten..."

He sighed, "It would have only gotten our wagon a ride; with no money, the Blooms would have had to turn back to the fort anyway." He glanced quickly at her, "Besides, they were only offering you five dollars for your racing horse."

She sat dumfounded! "Did they expect you to jump at it?" She turned and looked back through the wagon at Blackie slowly walking behind them. "He's probably worth a hundred dollars or more!" She fumed at their insult.

"I told him as much." He spoke to her without looking. "Fools would be willing to pay whatever those robbers wanted." He quickly glanced at her and then Cade, "No, Blackie is like family to us. I couldn't part with him for any price."

"He's just a horse, Papa." Cade commented.

"To you maybe..." He smiled, then looked toward Hannah, "To me, he's a godsend."

Cade looked up toward his father, "Why's that?"

Gideon pushed Cade's hat down over his eyes, "Because, son...Blackie brought your mama and Emma safely back to us!"

Hannah smiled at Gideon’s response, and then began to wonder aloud. "What's at Fort Bridger?" she asked.

Gideon shrugged, "Supplies... they'll be expensive, though." He began to drive the wagon to the side of the road. There were other wagons gathering there in a clearing, "It'll be okay, you'll see."

"Don't we have money to pay for the raft? I really don't want to...but, I guess I can part with Blackie if it means not being able to get there." She then recalled the money left to her by her father.

“Wait a minute…I do have some money, almost 900 dollars. It is what papa gave to me when he died.” She whispered to him. We can take some of that and go across?”

He smiled, "I like the plans you have for Blackie... we don't need the money just yet. I’d rather put it to better use once we’re in Oregon."

As their wagon stopped, Cade picked up Emma and handed her over the seat to her mother. "Here, Momma."

"How many days will this overland route take us compared to the raft?" She took the chubby tot from her brother and placed her on her knee; Emma sat quietly and slobbered on Hannah's knuckle.

Gideon climbed down and was almost to her side as she asked the question, "We'll add about four days to the trip going toward Fort Bridger." Having already pushed past Hannah, he carefully eased Cade to the ground, and then took his daughter from her so she could climb down unencumbered. “We’ll have to find a way to the other side, perhaps we could hire us a guide to help cross.”

"Well, I'm not too excited either over adding days to this journey; it's already longer than I care to admit." The spokes of the wheel aided her to the ground, along with the help Gideon offered. She sighed as she looked up toward her husband’s face, "However, if we must, then we must."

She took Emma from Gideon and he scooped Cade into his arms and held him on his shoulder. "My goodness, Cade, you are so very high perched upon your father's shoulder!" Hannah exclaimed, laughing.

"You know, that's a pretty good idea." Gideon patted Cade's leg as he spoke, "Do you see Mr. or Mrs. Bloom anywhere, Cade?"

He pointed, "They're over there by the man standing on the back of a wagon."

They all began to move toward the Blooms. As they drew near, they could hear the man talking. "It'll add about four days to our trip, but the way I see it...the water’s low and we should be able to find a way across without taking those rafts, besides, we're better off saving our money so we can use it to raft down the Colorado.”

Hannah looked quickly toward Gideon; he visibly winced at the thought of rafting down any river. Inwardly, she sighed worried for the remaining dangers left before the small train.

-Thirty Five-

There were five wagons in the small wagon train: the Shepherd family, the Blooms, an immigrant family from Sweden and a couple of bachelors from Kentucky. Joining them that morning was a family who spoke no English - from their conversations with each other, Gideon thought they may be German. The father could make himself known, though perhaps the children were interpreting for him.

The Wagon Master was the underling of their original leader and his name was Vance.

Vance walked toward Gideon and Charles, "I'd like you two to take the last two wagons. With these other new wagons being added, I'd like to keep someone in the back who knows the trail so... well, push them along."

"I can do that," Charles replied. “But I ain't going to be running my stock into the ground though."

Vance shook his head, "No, I want to keep the pace that we've been doing all along. It’s worked this far, no sense of adjusting it unless we come into some rough country."

Gideon looked at Vance, "How soon you wanting to light out?"

Vance spat in the grass and then looked up at the faces watching, "If I had my druther's... I'd druther leave right off instead of waiting here while other wagons are still coming in." He removed his hat, shielding his eyes with it and looked at the angle of the sun, "We still have a few more hours until dark, and we could be a dozen or so miles from here by nightfall."

Charles and Gideon wandered over to the two newer wagons to introduce themselves, and they took Cade with them. Arden, Emma and Hannah retreated toward the shadow that was cast from the wagon’s bonnet, and with them were the Bloom girls.

"Four extra days added onto this everlasting journey," Arden sighed.

Hannah laughed, "I know. I'm definitely not relishing the thought of any more days in the wagon... I think my bruises have bruises."

"Do we have to get into the wagon, Arden?" Katy wearily asked, taking a comfortable spot in the shade with her sister.

"We could walk beside the wagons for a spell, it would help burn off some of the pent up energy the children have," Arden suggested.

"That would be fine with me. It might help the adults stretch our legs a mite too!" Hannah sighed as she adjusted Em to be resting on her hip instead of her arms.

As the two women talked, Gideon and Charles approached. Hannah looked up as she saw his smiling face, "Well, do you like our new traveling companions?"

"The Swedes will be fine, seem like good folks." He laughed and looked toward Charles, "The jury's still out on the gents from Kentucky."

"Oh?" Hannah's eyes darted between the two of them, as if searching for answers.

Charles snickered, and then looked back toward the children. "They aren't going to be in the greatest of moods for awhile, at any rate."

"Why is that?" asked Arden.

Gideon openly laughed, "Seems they are heading toward California, by way of Oregon." He covered his mouth and continued to snicker. When he could finally control his laughter, he added, "They should have gotten off quite a ways back. They've been heading toward Oregon, and all the while they thought they were going toward the gold fields of California."

"Oh those poor men…" Hannah sighed. "That has to be quite a setback for them."

"They figure to go as far as Fort Bridger and see if they can hook up with any other wagons that may be going toward the fields." He glanced at Gideon, "Otherwise they will just go on with all of us to Oregon, and then work their way down to California on their own."

"It sure is a far piece to travel the wrong way, though," Gideon commented and took Emma from Hannah's grasp. "Go on, honey, climb back up into the wagon and I'll pass her to you."

Hannah hesitated, "We actually want to walk a piece. We’re all tired of riding in the wagon day after day. But I’ll try and nurse Emma first; it should hold her until we stop for the night."

"What about the other young’uns?" he asked as Hannah climbed up past him and then reached back to take Emma.

"We'll all walk. We could use the stretch." She disappeared into the interior of the wagon, preparing herself to nurse Emma.

Within a half hour, the wagons had been placed in the order that Vance wanted, Hannah had nursed Emma, and put her down in her small bed in the wagon. She was standing off to one side talking with Arden when Cade walked up.

"May I ride Blackie?" he asked sweetly.

"I'm not sure I want you by yourself yet," she replied. "But if you sit still on him, I'll let you ride on his back while I walk him."

This was enough to persuade the youngster to sit quietly as she had Gideon place a harness over the big black horse's head so she could lead him. Perched on his wide back was Cade, his legs just barely hanging down the side, the saddle left in the back of the wagon.

"You hold tight on his mane, and do not kick him or it’ll be the last ride you have!" She made sure he understood, and then said, “Cade, I don't want you to fall off. That is a long way down for a young boy.”

Arden laughed, "It's a long way down for just about anybody!"

The new wagon master gave the go ahead and the little train began to roll toward Fort Bridger. Each inhabitant wishing they were part of the group that took the river crossing instead. The small group walked on, each deep in thought of the journey behind them, and what lay ahead.

-Thirty Six-

Hannah walked in silence; only the constant ‘clip-clop’ of Blackie made her aware that she was not alone. She thought of the mental journey that she found herself propelled forward upon.

To begin travel, with one’s entire life ahead and then through some strange quirk of fate, become transformed into a total stranger. Being thrust in this feminine shell, destined to live out her life and not his own, perhaps forever.

She glanced back toward Cade as he rode upon the back of Blackie, his fingers entwined in the big horse's mane. She returned to face forward, and sought out the wagon for the past several weeks they had called home.

Being imprisoned as a female was a harsh thought, and entirely without warrant. She knew that the original Hannah would have rather been here than to be dead, to be included with a family that really cared for her. Even though Gideon spoke ill of her faults and actions, he would always fondly think back to those happier times that the two shared.

True, it seemed that being female was about as alien to the former lad as anything he had ever heard about or done, and yet something within the transformation had changed within her own mind. There were things that no male would ever have allowed happen, and yet it did... and now, they seemed as much a part of her daily life as breathing.

Again she glanced back toward her son; he was smiling and looking over at Katy Bloom. 'Her son...’ She thought, even though she had never carried the child within her womb as had the original Hannah, somehow he had become a part of her, to where she now could look at him as her own child.

Had a portion of the original Hannah survived, living somewhere within this duplicate of her former body? What of those loving feelings that the new Hannah now felt for her husband: were they really hers, or some part of that former life? Hannah rubbed her temple, confusion of what was her own feelings and what had been the original Hannah's swam in her mind.

She thought back to her own revulsion at nursing Emma, and how she fought its necessity. Now though, since she had been trying to wean the infant, there was a slight sadness that she was losing something that she could never hope to regain.

Her gaze fell upon Gideon as he slowly walked the team behind the Swede's wagon. What about him had caused her so much giddy tumult in her stomach? Was she truly in love with this man? Was it possible that as her body had been transformed into Hannah, so had her mind?

She knew within her heart, that anything he would ask she would do... but was that love? She stared at the ground; behind her the steady footfalls of Blackie could be heard. The light thud, evenly and methodically placed in the soft earth, was constant and reminded her of a tall clock that she once heard in a store.

Gideon had asked her to stay, and she agreed at the time that she would; but how much of the agreement was her own doing, and how much was what she had gained as a direct result of the transformation? Her attention then turned toward her companion, not far away walked her best female friend since she arrived, Arden.

Hannah thought of the slight transformation she used to repair the damage Arden received when the horse had kicked her. That alteration, even though it was necessary to aid her in producing children, was still similar to what had happened to her.

Without realizing it at the time, she herself had changed the destiny that Arden would have lived. What had given her the right to change destiny? She frowned as she watched the little clumps of wildflowers pass, when a new thought pushed into her head.

Could it be that these changes were foretold in the annals of time itself? Could it be that what had happened to Arden was written down and by changing her as Hannah had, somehow fulfilled the destiny that should have been?

And what of her own story? Perhaps too all of this transformation was meant to be; the changes that she endured were all written long ago upon Ezrah's own timeline. What if she was always meant to be Hannah; and the transformation was preordained by God himself?

She thought of Gideon using the amulet on her and Emma when they lay dying - could that too have been written in the great book? She looked up toward the cloudless sky, almost as if she were trying to see into heaven itself.

Pushing back her yellow calico bonnet, she let it hang from behind her back, unfurling the long fiery red tendrils of hair which fell in great amounts about her shoulders. She steeled herself as she walked; if being this female was to be her destiny, then she would embrace it for all it was worth.

Didn't the original Hannah ask her to take Emma to Gideon? Didn’t she plead with Ezrah to find her family? Whether or not it was a miracle, she found herself transformed as his wife and their mother... perhaps this was now her destiny? Perhaps she should do whatever she could to fulfill this life she now led, and accept what fate had delivered.

As the wagon rolled along, Gideon looked off to his right. Walking among the wildflowers was Hannah leading Blackie, with Cade perched upon his back. He smiled as he saw the determination written upon Cade's face; obviously in his young mind, he was racing across the land as fast as the big black horse could go.

His eyes slowly traveled to Hannah, and his heart quickened, captivated as he was with her beauty. The contrast of her yellow dress and fiery red hair was enough, but combined with the spectacular cut of her feminine figure, it was about all the man could take.

He felt himself smiling, fortunate to lay claim to such a strikingly beautiful woman as Hannah was. He thought back to that day he first spied her by the pond with Emma, to go from knowing she had been slain, to suddenly being able to once again hold her was almost too much to fathom!

He watched the gentle sway of her hips as she walked, the blue cornflowers carpeting the very ground around her like a cloud to an angel. He knew that this person was not the woman he had married years before. He also knew that the beautiful creature he looked upon had not been a woman until just a few short months ago... but his love for her was as genuine as anything he had felt before... or since.

He thought back to his original bride: how he worshiped the very ground she walked upon. But then as time wore on after Cade had been born, she changed and became even surlier toward him. His heart grew heavy as he replayed her angry words she spat at him - how she had wished she never would have agreed to leave her family back east.

He pursed his lips, and then returned his gaze once again toward the red-haired beauty who walked just yards from him. He knew that Ezrah had most likely been a very good young man, polite and kind to a fault... somehow, with the amulet, when the two became one; it was as though it weeded all the bad out and left the combination with the very best of both.

Again Gideon looked out toward Hannah. Her long red hair gently carried by the breeze, the yellow calico dress caressing her breasts, tapering at her narrow waist then flaring out past her lovely hips. He watched her slender arm sway from the effort of walking, the other relaxed and holding the reins to the horse. She looked up and smiled at him, and even from this distance he saw the sparkle in her emerald eyes.

Gideon was in love with this woman, and he didn't care who knew it. He sighed, and then laughed at the thought of being much like a lovesick school boy. He knew she had feelings for him; if she didn't, why would she do the things to him that she had?

He shook his head with a smile; there was much to ponder over when one was alone in the wagon. Yet, Gideon knew that even though many of his own questions had been answered… how many did the fair-skinned, red-haired beauty to his far right have, that were yet to be answered?

-Thirty Seven-

After nearly four hours of walking, Vaughn rode by and reined up beside Gideon, so Gideon slowed to a stop and looked up as Vaughn began to talk, "There is a nice little meadow up ahead. We'll hole up there for the night. It looks like a good little lake too." His horse danced a slow circle, "We'll take a vote tonight and see if we want to lie up for an extra day, perhaps pick up a few more wagons in the meantime that decide not to pay to cross the Green."

"An extra day of rest would be a nice change of pace." Gideon said smiling, "I know the women folk would like it. Besides, it would be good to try and catch a few fish or do some hunting and replenish our meat supplies while we have the chance."

After Vaughn rode on, Gideon snapped the reins and followed the wagons on in to their camp in the meadow. By the time Gideon had the wagon in place and was unhitching the mules, Hannah strode in with Cade and Blackie in tow. "Miss me?" She giggled like a child.

He smiled as he began to lead the team toward where he wanted to picket them, "Always." He then took Blackie's reins from her, "Come on, son, you can help me picket the animals and let the women folk get started on our supper.”

Cade giggled, "Papa, Emma isn't a woman yet... she can't help do nothing!" His response caused Gideon to laugh out loud, and then he pushed his son’s hat over his eyes.

"Hey..." Hannah squealed as she watched them quietly retreat around the wagon. As she stood laughing at Cade’s comment, Arden approached from behind unnoticed; Hannah watched the two of them until they disappeared into the woods. She stood smiling, deep in thought of what joy her life had become.

"Well hello, neighbor," Arden said, and then began laughing after seeing how much she had startled Hannah. "Have anything interesting planned for supper?"

Hannah held her hand against her chest, and then laughed when she saw her friend, "You just scared the dickens out of me!"

She picked at the canvas bonnet for the wagon, "I'm at a loss of what to fix. They are all getting sick of stew and biscuits, and it's been awhile since the men have got any fresh meat." She sighed, "I was wondering if you would be interested in maybe working on something together?"

Hannah climbed into the wagon and passed Emma out to Arden, and then returned to the ground. When she took Em back, she sat down and handed the child a dried biscuit to chew since she was teething. "I have a loaf of bread that I made in my Dutch oven recently; I guess that could be a start."

Arden smiled and nodded vigorously; she had Hannah's bread before and enjoyed it immensely. "I still have a thick cut of cured bacon from before I married; we could slice it and make sandwiches."

"Sounds tasty, it’s been awhile since we've had any bacon," Hannah replied, playing with Em by pulling at the biscuit as she was trying to eat it. "We've got a few apples that are getting soft, maybe we could make up a sweet treat out of them?"

Arden quickly sat down beside Hannah and tickled Em, "I think I have some beans that I could make too!" She spoke with excitement as she realized, "Won't this be such a grand meal?"

------

As the women prattled about everything under the sun, Hannah looked toward the lengthening shadows; the sun was already dropping toward the horizon. "We probably should get busy then, because when the men come in, they'll be hungry!"

Hannah stood and reached into the wagon, removing one of their curtains, "Can you please help me stretch this out for Emma to sit on." As they were setting the blanket off to one side, and away from the fire, in walked Katy, Beth and Nellie, all were Charles’ children.

"Girls, please be a big help and watch over Emma for Mrs. Shepherd so she and I can work on supper." The girls immediately headed toward the tot whom Hannah had just sat down.

"Ok ma…" They each replied.

Hannah raised her brows and looked at Arden, whose smile said it all. Without words, the young woman knew that Arden was overjoyed to finally be called ‘mother’... and the word fit her like a glove.

-Thirty Eight-

That evening, as the families were sitting around the fire and enjoying a chance to relax, Gideon retrieved his violin without being prompted. Hannah sat on a blanket with Emma in her lap and she watched as he began playing ‘Greensleeves’.

He glanced down at his beloved as she sat listening; there was a moment of familiarity with the tune that caused her to look away as if haunted by a long forgotten memory. Finally she began to hum, quietly at first but when the tune came back around she softly began to sing. At first she was timid, then it was as though the memory came flooding back and she began to recall it.

Alas my love you do me wrong
To cast me off discourteously
And I have loved you oh so long
Delighting in your company.

Greensleeves was my delight,
Greensleeves my heart of gold
Greensleeves was my heart of joy
And who but my lady Greensleeves.

As the final note was held on the violin, Gideon lowered his bow. "That was beautiful, Hannah!"

"Remarkable voice you have there, Hannah!" Charles agreed.

"Like that of an Angel..." sighed Arden. "Obviously, you've had some formal training?"

Hannah sat in stunned silence, "None whatsoever," she replied softly, then was thankful that the Swedish family appeared, taking everyone’s thoughts off of what had just occurred.

"I am Kai Blomgren..." He removed his hat and indicated the woman next to him, "This is my wife Johanna, and my son Erik." He smiled and nodded as he spoke, his accent was thick but clear.

Charles stood and shook their hands, "Met your husband earlier today, glad to know you folks. This is Arden, my wife, and my three girls, Katy the eldest, Beth and my youngest, Nellie. "

Gideon placed his bow under his arm and shook with his left hand, "Pleased to meet you, this is my wife, Hannah holding Emma, and that is my son, Cade."

"I suppose you can tell from my speak that we are not from around here." Kai said with a laugh, "We heard the beautiful music you were playing, and it reminded us of the old country."

"I wanted to see who was playing," Johanna said sweetly.

At that moment they noticed someone standing in the shadows, and Gideon motioned for them to enter.

"I heard the music, and it was right pretty."

Charles looked at the man, one of the bachelor brothers; he saw he was carrying a guitar. "Hey, hey... looks like we have another instrument here, Gideon!"

As the man stepped into the light, his brother followed him near by the fire. Nodding to those he already knew, to the others he pointed to his brother, "That's Angus. I'm Clifton, but folks just call me ‘Cliff’."

"So you play?" Gideon indicated the guitar in Cliff's hand.

"Oh, I don't know notes and such, and I can't play pretty songs like you." He looked down at the beat up instrument, almost looking embarrassed that he had brought it. "I do know how to play along and such."

"Back home, Cliff was right popular playing the get-fiddle." Angus said proudly. "Go ahead and break into something lively, he'll show you what he can do."

Gideon smiled and as he looked at the faces watching him, he glanced at Hannah and winked. "Okay then, Cliff, let’s see what you got!" He drew the bow across the strings, it was long and drawn out. Each of the folks watching excitedly exchanged glances, almost as if anticipating a ruckus about to begin.

The bow in Gideon's hand came alive, but Cliff was able to pluck and strum right along, so that the two instruments sounded as though they were made for each other. From time to time Hannah could distinctly make out a hollow thump, but never really figured out where it was coming from; until she noticed at times between each strum, Cliff would tap the face of his guitar.

Hanna was smiling so much, enjoying the music when she felt a tap upon her shoulder. It was Vaughn, their Wagon Master, "Would the lady care to dance, if it's alright with the mister?" He glanced up hopefully at Gideon who was briskly sawing at his fiddle, with a smile and a nod he gave his permission.

Hannah passed Emma to Katie and stood, quickly whisked away in a whirl of motion. Soon she was accompanied by the Blooms and the Blomgrens. They all couldn't stop laughing, enjoying the briefest moment of doing anything other than walking or riding.

Long into the evening they played and danced, often with Angus singing along. If only for awhile, their minds were far removed from the rigors of the trail, and the dangers it could bring.

Later as the night waned on and everyone had headed off to their beds, Gideon and Hannah lay within the privacy of their shroud. The fun they all had enjoyed still swarmed in her lovely head. Her eyes sparkled with the excitement of the evening, reflecting back the soft glow of their campfire.

“You play so beautifully,” Hannah spoke as she lay with her head upon Gideon’s shoulder.

“Me? What about this singing of yours, and where did that come from?” He kissed the top of her head, “I’ve never heard anyone sing so beautifully.”

“I’m sure that your Hannah could carry a tune quite well.” She looked up at him, her eyes twinkling.

“Not a lick. “She couldn’t hold a note if it were in a bucket!” He laughed, and then added. “That was one of her favorite songs though, but she always brutalized it when she tried to sing it.”

Hannah grew quiet, allowing his words to soak in. “Up until tonight, I had never heard the song before.”

“The dickens you say? How did you know the words then?” he responded incredulously.

She shrugged, “That’s the rub, I didn’t know them…they just sort of materialized in my head.”

“Aw come on, Hannah… you probably heard your pa or ma sing it and it just now came back to you.” He glanced toward her, “There’s a reasonable explanation to it, I’m sure.”

She scooted closer as he wrapped his arm around her shoulders, “You’re probably right.” she replied. Then she whispered, “So, how you feeling tonight? Maybe we should be…what was it you said earlier…practicing?” Her hand drifted down his stomach and onto his genitals where she began to lightly caress.

“Honey, I’ll practice with you every day of my life if you let me…” He began to kiss her neck as her caress grew more earnest, teasing him into a ridged tower before he finally rolled her onto her back and took her right then and there.

To be continued...
up
165 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Prairie country

I've been out through there a time or two. I hope they get to Oregon before the weather turns sour. This year it was the first of November, but I remember years when it was a month earlier.

Thank you.

Gwen

Music

Music, the universal killer of boredom and friendship maker.

I'm really glad that Hannah is coming to terms with her feelings towards the children. As much as she and Emma bonded during feedings and their time alone Cade might be doing a lot more for her. It's hard not to start loving someone as your own when they can communicate with you verbally and emotionally the way Cade has been able to.

Plus it's nice that Cade and Katie are starting to mature a little. Even if it's puppy love it's sweet that the two are starting to notice each other.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Having traveled that area a

Having traveled that area a lot over the years, like just this past May through June, I can tell you without fear of being wrong, that our travelers are in very, very open, sparsely treed country where they are now with the wagons. Couple that with LOTS of HIGH hills and deep valleys.
Fort Bridger itself lays down in a valley, and has cottonwood trees, plus a minor sized river (Blacks Fork) through it.
The Fort itself was not a military one, rather a trading post type set up and run by Jim Bridger; who was one of the original "mountain men" of the 1820s-40s. They and he helped open the Rocky Mountains and he was also a guide/trapper for wagon trains and military expeditions.
A tiny(400 pop) town has grown up around the trading post site, which is still there and operating today.
If you have access to a road map of the United States, look for I-80 West, and look for Green River, Wyoming.
Follow further west and you will find Ft. Bridger.
You will then notice that our party is not all that far from what is now the Utah/Wyoming borders.
From Green River to Ft. Bridger is 70+ miles, and that is by today's Interstate 80; so you can well imagine how many miles they have to travel to find suitable ground to get their wagons through.
Snow in that region can become truly something else, and once past that area, the travelers will still have to contend with the Wasach Range of Utah, followed by the Blue Mountains in Oregon. Right now, they are still in a portion of the Rockies.

A little side note just to show how bad and hazardous the snow can get and did for the wagon trains; and it can still be hazardous even today.
There is a park located in Truckee, California on Interstate 80.
The park is named after the Donner Party of the 1840s.
Located in the park is a HUGE set of statues of the Donner Family.
The statues stand on a pedestal base that is 20 feet in height.
That base is the exact height is what the snow became that caused them to become stranded there. (they had started West two months late).
Take a look at a two story house sometime or any structure that is 20 feet in height, and then you can truly visualize what they horrendously experienced.
By the way, it was proven by Forensic Sciences about 20 years ago now, that the Donners, themselves did not engage in cannibalism as the myths/legends claimed.
One man in their party did do so however and that was also proven.

Eerie Experience

Mopar's picture

As a lark, I played Greensleeves on YouTube by Celtic Woman while I read. Truly an amazing experience. Fantastic story!