The Chrysalis Project Book 3: Ghost Moth Book 2

Printer-friendly version

 

GM cover.PNG
The Chrysalis Project Book 2: Ghost Moth The Dark and The Angel
  Shawna is settling in to her new home but
  not advertising the fact. It seems there
  is a local stigma attached to her house.
 

WARNING: The Chrysalis Project may be hyper-violent for some readers!

 

 


 

Chrysalis Project: Ghost Moth - The Dark and The Angel

 
 
 
CHAPTER 1

Nicole; nicky, and her brother Daniel walked casually down the sidewalk. They'd left on time for a change so they weren't in the usual rush to get to school. Several paces after turning the corner Nicky started to lag behind.

Daniel noticed and called out," C'mon nicky or we'll have to run to make it on time!"

Nicky looked to her right and shivered. They were passing The House. 'Dark House', everybody called the old empty manor. All school children gossiped about it being haunted. Local urban legend held that over twenty years ago a group of school boys managed their way inside on a dare to spend the night. The legend held that they had been attacked by ghosts, spirits or such and one of the boys had been left behind frozen in terror, never to be seen or heard from again. Both Daniel and Nicky knew the legend was wrong as their father had been one of the boys and he assured them that none of the boys had been harmed other than a few bruises and scrapes after being startled by what turned out to be a raccoon that lurked inside. Even with that reassurance Nicky still felt dread when being around the house and forced her feet to keep moving as panic rose within her. Something about it lately though, different. Like, someone there, watching them. Nicky thought she saw something move and what sounded like a door gently shutting.

"NICKY! COME ON," Daniel called out frustrated now.

Nicky froze, she had seen a curtain move in a window. She was certain of it. Daniel stomped back and grabbed her hand to pull her along.

She protested, "I saw I saw."

"Nothin'. Just your imagination Nicky. You're making us late. Again," Daniel complained pulling her along.

Ten minutes later they finally walked into school and went to their separate classes for the day.

 

~o~O~o~

 

Blake Jacobsen closed the third and last file. His friends in the Marines gave him the nickname BlackJack and it stuck. He didn't mind being Police Chief. The town was small, problems were actually rare. Mostly it was minor fender benders or wildlife-car accidents, the occasional argument that got out of hand and every now and then an actual DUI after a party that ran late. He'd gotten the job after leaving the Marines in which he'd been the Provost Marshal. Leaving The Corps had been hard on everyone but hands were tied; a single parent was frowned on. He took the hardship discharge and came home two days after the Police Chief had a heart attack on duty, luckily in his office first thing in the morning. His father-in-law was a great help even though a widower himself, but the elderly man couldn't raise two children their ages all by himself.

It was just after ten in the morning when Blake finished preparing the shift reports and slipped them into the file folders to go out to the watch-desk when the unmistakable voice carried to him from the front counter.

"Chief Jacobsen; I must see him immediately," she demanded.

Blake walked out, "What is it Mrs. Herrington?"

The Mayor's wife looked agitated that he didn't know already, but reset her haughty expression.

" Its come to MY attention that; strange noises, have been heard over at 'DarkHouse'. In fact Agatha Bexter told me that just last night she thought she saw a light or two on very late. One in the morning," she informed him, "What have you found out?"

Blake resisted the strong urge to roll his eyes or smirk as he casually recounted, "During the course of the department's investigation we've uncovered unsubstantiated reports of 'strange noises' and one rumor of explained lights being seen around zero-one hundred at the premises known locally as DarkHouse. Further details are sketchy and not available at this time as this is an ongoing investigation."

The filing clerk stifled her laugh with a cough. The lead officer had to turn his head and force his eyes and lips closed to keep from laughing as well. Mrs. Herrington stood there gaping as he waited then finally found her voice

"Chief Jacobsen," she began but was cut off.

"Correct! I am the Chief. Not you. When things go on that warrant our attention they get reported to MY officers to be attended to in due course. NOT to be filed in that whatever it is you call a brain until you get around to coming to me with an attitude. I've humored you so far. I see now that it was in error," Blake reached under the counter and pulled out a series of ten forms.

Mrs. Herrington stood there slack-jawed.

He slipped the papers under the bar of a clipboard with a pen then held it out, "Fill out these forms. Completely."

Priscilla Herrington edged back, as if he threatened her with a shovel of manure instead of a clipboard with papers.

"World of Law Enforcement. 90% aggravation, 5% confusion, 4% boredom and 1% job satisfaction. Wanna be a Cop," he asked nonchalantly.

As if taking radioactive waste she hesitantly accepted the clipboard. The very intent look said without doubt he fully meant her to fill each and every single form out. Twenty minutes later he took the forms and flipped through them.

"Ok. I'll check it out," Blake remarked.

"Good! I'll meet you there in five minutes," Priscilla stated, back to her haughty self.

"I'll there in about thirty minutes. Or so. Go inside that fence and I'll arrest you for trespassing of course," he replied passing the forms off to the clerk.

Blake then returned to his office for his gun belt and go-bag. Priscilla sat in her car straining not to shriek at him as Blake took his time check then load his gear into the SUV as well as the SUV itself. Finally he started it and took a very circuitous route through town to the house in question. Blake called in his location and status; out of the vehicle investigating suspicious activity. The Marine in him took over at the gate. He took note of the frequently stepped down grass. That and if you actually looked further one could see two feet beyond the fence the lawn had been mowed to precision. Approaching the front porch he also noticed the flowerbeds. They had been recently replanted. Briskly he knocked at the door and waited. Ninety seconds later he gingerly tried the knob, it turned easily and soundlessly. Breaking the thumb-strap on his holster he eased in.

"Wait out here," Blake hissed to the plump woman trying to conceal anxiety.

Cautiously he fully entered. As his eyes adjusted to the dim light he heard music, piano music. Blake stopped at the bottom of the stairs and turned quickly when Priscilla whispered.

"Shouldn't we be wearing masks? it might be a drug lab in here," she said nervously.

Blake glared," I told you. Outside."

"Can I help you," a clear, feminine voice asked from the stairs.

Priscilla barely contained her yelp of fright as Blake whirled back around, tracking. His sight-line zero'ed at the figure standing casually midpoint of the staircase. His mind raced, first the fact that the woman had not been there a moment ago. Focusing more, how did she move from a point of concealment to over twelve feet down the stairs soundlessly. wearing high heeled boots at that.

"And you are," the heavyset woman asked irritated at being frightened.

Blake watched as the woman clad in black leggings and poet blouse with a dull wide black belt and tall boots descended the stairs with muted footsteps until the third riser.

She look at both and said casually, "Wondering why I have intruders? In my home? I do hope, for your sake; that she is with the Prosecutor's Office. With an entry warrant, Chief Jacobsen."

Blake shook himself mentally. He'd been immersed in the sight of her raven hair and cobalt eyes. That is, until she said his name. Though her tone seemed charming. Her eyes were displaying otherwise. He could also swear the air around them suddenly got thirty degrees colder. More importantly she knew who he was, and certainly seemed to believe of the two that she was the superior.

Mrs. Herrington finally found her composure again, "well. There are community standards here and we'd certainly like to know your plans for DarkHouse Mrs."

"Its Miss. Shawna Daniels. And you can shove your standards. On your way out," Shawna looked down and pinned the woman with a glare that could freeze spewing lava in place.

Blake knew a situation that could go from zero to F.U.B.A.R. in heartbeats when he saw it and turned, taking Priscilla by the arm.

"Miss Daniels. Most sincere apologies for disturbing you. Please pardon the intrusion. I assure you, it WON'T be happening again," he said pulling the woman with him.

He all but dragged the plump woman out of the house and didn't stop until he was out the gate shoving her into her car.

"Get your hands OFF of me," Priscilla spouted.

Blake growled back at her, "Lucky I don't cuff your ass. Get off this property and don't come back!"

He dialed the Mayor's line as he got back into the SUV and barked, "Your wife has made me look like an idiot for the LAST TIME! MY office. FIVE minutes!"

Within three minutes Blake was back at the station parking in a screech of tires. The four officers and file clerk all but leapt out of his way as he stormed through to his office and logged into the federal database. He ran the name Shawna Daniels and particulars, including the address of DarkHouse. Female, caucasian, twenty-five to thirty-five with black hair and blue eyes. Minutes later a startling single result came back. The was no photo of her and details were listed as Access Denied. At the bottom however there was something that was startling.

Current Tasking: Special Investigator; Senate Sub-Committee for Counter-Action. J-12.

"OH FUCK ME NO," Blake swore pressing his fingers to his temples then bellowed, "the fuck is the Mayor?"

"Right here Blake. What's your problem," Bradley Herrington demanded.

Blake surged to his feet and grabbed the mayor by the lapels then dragged him back to sit in front of the computer screen.

"Damn wife of yours! Thinks she owns the fucking town. Instead of me and my department doing our job, she withholds information then comes down here and bulldozes past procedure, due process and now thanks to her there's the extremely strong chance that this woman is pissed off," Blake yelled at him after slamming the door.

The Mayor looked at the screen and read what information was there with slowly widening eyes.

He pointed and asked, "J-12. What's that mean?"

Blake closed his eyes and counted to himself then answered, "Federal Weapons Possession Rating. Code: Juliet. Level: Twelve. Highest there is. The Director of the NSA doesn't even have it. In simple terms, she has the authority to excute a traitor, on the spot, on the White House lawn. Even if its the President himself. During a press conference."

The Mayor blanched and his mouth hung open as he looked to the screen and back, "you can't be serious! That's too extreme to be real. Isn't it? Seriously? Such people don't exist. Do they?"

Blake Jacobsen never blinked, he silently nodded slowly. Bradley Herrington swallowed slowly.

"What can be done," Bradley asked.

Blake glared, "Start with reminding your wife that she doesn't own the fucking town. Secondly: complaints, concerns, tips, et cetera are to be reported to the department; not HER! Lastly: I work for the city, not her. She stays away from us doing our jobs. Clear?"

Bradley Herrington nodded.

"Tomorrow I'll see if things can be smoothed over. If they can be," Blake added.

Herrington considered that then said, "Please inform Miss, uh, Daniels that the Mayor's Office would like to extend a formal apology if that would be acceptable; and a standing appointment for tomorrow afternoon. Perhaps some flowers when you go?"

Blake held up his hand cutting in, "Brad. Just the apology. Sucking up won't help."

Bradley nodded, "hmmm. Right. Courtsey and respect would fair better than flattery. Good luck then. I'll deal with Priscilla. Absolutely right, she has gone too far long enough."

The Mayor stood and walked out.

 

~o~O~o~

 

It was mid-afternoon when Shawna heard a girl's shriek of fright punctuated with a boy's yell to run. Seconds later she saw the children in question bolting through her gate, which didn't close fast enough to stop a very large rottweiler chasing them. Unknowingly the two ran straight towards her and had almost drawn even when the little girl tripped and stumbled into the dirt. Shawna stepped from the arbor she'd been tying rose vines to, revealing herself

Shawna commanded in german, "HALTEN!"

The dog ignored her so she repeated the order in dutch, "OPHOUDEN!!"

The large dog skidded and slid on the grass to obey. A silent hand signal and the dog sat panting. Both children looked back and forth between the dog and the darkly clad woman approaching.

"Children. Very slowly; get up and go wait for me on the porch," she said in a gentle voice.

Shawna stared the dog down then ordered, " HUIS! ENFIN!"

She had ordered it to go home which it immediately complied.

"How'd you do that," the boy asked as Shawn lightly walked up the steps.

Shawna noticed the scrape on the girl's arm and opened the door and gestured them to enter, "I told him to go home. He's going home."

"I didn't understand what you said," he said.

Shawna pointed at the couch, "Sit here. I told him in dutch."

Both sat down nervously as Shawna left the room.

The girl asked her brother in a whisper, "How did she know the dog knew what she was saying in Dutch?"

He shrugged in response as Shawna returned with a large red bag. She unzipped it to reveal a very complete medical kit.
Impressed the boy asked, "are you a doctor?"

"No. I believe that its always a good idea to be ready in case something happens," Shawna replied.

"How'd the dog know what you said," the girl asked then gasped at the sting of peroxide.

Shawna gave her a coy look, "would you believe me if I said magic?"

The girl giggled, "maybe."

"I'd be lying to you sweetie. No magic to it. All canine trained dogs respond to commands in either Dutch, French, German or Russian. I used German first then Dutch," Shawna explained with a smile then dabbed some ointment on the scrape and carefully applied a bandage.

"Hmmmmm," Shawna inhaled then commented, "such nice perfume. Might be just a little grown up for you though. And pretty eyes too, they remind me of a friend."

The girl saw a collection of photos on a nearby shelf. The little girl walked over and looked.

"My name is Shawna," she introduced herself.

"I'm Nicky," the girl answered then gasped, "OH! That's Lyssa!"

"So it is," Shawna remarked.

"Nicky has a thing for ballerinas. I'm Daniel; Danny," Danny said.

Danny grew nervous. He had just seen the large pistol tucked into the back of the woman's belt. He knew people carried guns a lot but they didn't carry them like that.

"Uh. We should go," Danny took Nicky's hand and started to hurry her out, "thanks for helping with the dog. Bye."

Shawna chuckled to herself then stopped. She was going to make sure the kids went down the street fine but the beeping from her phone caught her attention.

 

GM. contact Hangar immediately.

 

Shawna went to her laptop and opened the conference window. Kimberly appeared in the other window.

"Afternoon Shawna," Kimberly greeted her.

"Hey Kim. What's up," Shawna asked.

Kimberly frowned, "We have a multi-pronged situation that's evolving. You're being upgraded to Stand-by. Right now we're waiting on more intel. Sorry to interrupt you settling in. By the way; have you made contact with a Jacobsen, Blake?"

Shawna nodded, "local police chief. I guess people are starting to figure out somebody's in this house now. He's harmless."

"If you say so. He's a former Marine. I'll send his dossier. I'll know something by tonight or tomorrow morning," Kimberly said.

"Hurry up and wait. Ok Kim," Shawna laughed.

Kimberly was laughing too as the window dropped.

 

~o~O~o~

 

Robbie Brice moved fast, feigned left then kicked right and maneuvered around to kick the ball again into the small net.

"GOAL," Robbie yelled as he jogged past the net with his arms up.

Dean shook his head, "pretty slick. Moves like that and you guys'll win for sure saturday Robbie."

Robbie had pulled the ball from the net and was kicking it towards him again then suddenly stepped half over and used his back foot to pull the ball off the ground and flip it high. He had spun then threw one leg up and brought the other over and kicked the ball past Dean into the net again.

"YEAH," Robbie yelled out.

"Whoa! When did you learn about bicycle shots," Dean asked.

"There was an old movie on last week. I saw it on that so I've been practicing it. Pretty good huh," Robbie laughed.

"Robbie! Its dinner time," A woman called from the front door.

"Hey Mrs. B," Dean called back.

Evelyn Brice smiled and waved, "hi Dean. Robbie needs to come in and eat."

"Ok Mom," Robbie replied, "later Dean-O."

"Later Rob-O," Dean laughed.

Robbie ran inside and Dean jogged across the street. Robbie washed up and sat down to his favorite. Chicken nuggets and tots. To the ten year old life was pretty good. In two months he'd turn eleven but the main focus was saturday's match. Practicing with the neighbor helped a lot.

 

~o~O~o~

 

Hammad had watched the two boys playing soccer on the front lawn. Grudgingly he admitted to himself the boy did have skill at the game. Not that it mattered. The boy was simply a means to an end. A pawn. The sun was now setting so he went to the back of the van and knelt east then began his prayers. Afterward he started the engine and calmly drove off. It was difficult watching from a distance, using a video camera hooked to a laptop, but to move in closer would alert to his presence.

The leader walked into the apartment they were using for planning and added to his notes. He then updated the New York group. The Congressman was not due home until midday saturday. The boy's match was early in the morning. By the time the father arrived, he would be theirs. Five cellphones would be used. The GPS was disabled on the phones. He tested the system. Using Skype he called one phone. The call was then forwarded to each phone consecutively then to a final phone which rang. He shut off the call then programmed the last phone with the necessary number. Tomorrow the phones would be hidden about city buses. He knew that even without the GPS enabled they would still be able to find the phones using the towers. Multiple phones making random movements would counter that for a while. During the day the phones would be hidden.

 



 

Chapter 2

The day had started as usual for Shawna. She awoke at five and ran ten miles down the beach, swam back with the current then rode her bike fifteen miles. After a shower she put on her make-up and dressed in a simple black flare skirt, green silk blouse. A belt at her waist held the pistol behind her back and a mock garter held the Fairbarne-Applegate knife high on her thigh concealed by the skirt. She draped a jacket that coordinated with the skirt over a chair and wore plain pumps. The coffee had just finished brewing when a knock was heard at the front door.

"Good morning Chief. I see you remembered your manners this morning. Come in," Shawna said then stepped back opening the door wider.

Blake removed his Uniform ball cap and walked in and waited for her to close the door, "thank you Miss Daniels. Or is it Agent Daniels?"

Shawna smiled over her shoulder as she led him inside, "Shawna will do Chief Jacobsen."

"Blake, please," Blake said the sat down on the sofa he gestured to.

"Just a moment. Blake," Shawna said then went into another room.

'Wow. They sure do make government types nice these days,' Blake thought to himself.

He'd only interacted with NCIS agents and the occasional ATF or FBI agent during his time in the Corps. None of those had ever looked like she did. Then again he knew she was dangerous and was reminded of it when he noticed the pistol nestled at the small of her back. He wasn't sure how and where but surely that couldn't be the only weapon she carried. He was surprised when she came back with a tray for coffee.

"How do you take it Blake," Shawna asked as she poured a cup.

"As is. Thank you," Blake took the cup and sipped, "Wow! Good coffee."

Shawna finished making her own and sipped, "sorry there's no donuts go with that."

Blake laughed, "I don't care for 'em that much. Besides, who needs one when the coffee is this. Pretty."

He had glanced up and caught sight of her eyes and lost his track. He then blushed realizing he'd spoke that last part aloud.

"Well that's a first. I've never been told my coffee was pretty. I'll just say thank you," Shawna smiled.

"Yesterday. I messed up. I intruded into your home. I'd like to apologize and explain," Blake said.

"The house has stood empty for years. Its easy to understand your action and also overlook it," Shawna said gently then turned icy, "the woman on the other hand; not so much."

"Priscilla Herrington. The Mayor apologizes for her attitude. He even has an open appointment anytime if you like it formal," Blake said quickly.

Shawna seemed to consider it then shook her head, "tell him it won't be necessary at this time. Only if its a one-off."

Blake nodded, "he'll be relieved to hear that. She won't be a bother to you. I, myself, would prefer not to get shot over it."

"Think you would be," Shawna chuckled then refilled his cup.

Blake sighed, "let's not pretend. Technically you could shoot me inside the department, make my own officers clean up the mess and not even have to fill out paperwork."

Shawna smirked, "not technically Blake."

"Ok so I checked you out. Not technically. Real deal, you could," Blake admitted.

"Now now BlackJack. I wouldn't dare do that after your daughter gave daddy a big hug and a kiss for luck before going out into the big scary world," Shawna said coyly.

"How did you know she did that," Blake asked.

Shawna laughed, "I can smell Nicky's perfume on you and a print of her pink lipgloss on your cheek. She was wearing the same yesterday."

Blake blinked, "you met her yesterday?"

Shawna nodded, "hard to miss to screaming children tearing through the yard with a Rottweiler on their heels. Good thing I know Dutch."

"Rottweiler trained in Dutch," Blake asked then grew angry, "please excuse."

He set his cup on the tray and rushed out. Shawna made it to the door as he leapt over the fence and got into the patrol SUV then tore away from the curb in a screech of tires.

"I guess he has something against Dutch trained Rottweilers. Maybe he'll come back and give me the story," Shawna mused and went back in.

Her phone beeped.

"Great. Stand-by for deployment," Shawna said.

She grabbed her two bags and set them by the door then called the airfield and had her LearJet prepped and fueled. It would only take an hour and a half to get to the private field.

 

~o~O~o~

 

Dannigan asked, "you're sure about this Kimberly."

Kimberly shook her head, "Brice is targeted. That's the only thing for sure. Whatever they got planned is going down saturday. I checked the Congressman's schedule and he's due in Kansas Saturday around noon. They could try an attack in the terminal, on the road to his house or at his house. He's not slated for any appearances Saturday. Just a visit home before returning monday for hearings. Since he was clean in all that LOG business he's on the panel for the hearings. From what I've heard it was a surprise he wan't involved."

"Not really. Brice doesn't play well with others. If he can't take credit for the whole thing and hold all the cards then he won't have anything to do with it. Some people think that LOG may be cute and fuzzy compared to him. He's so far right-winged that Sarah Palin looks like a drug-slut compared to him," Dannigan said.

"Tell me he doesn't know about us," Krystel muttered angrily.

Dannigan shook his head, "no Evanson; he doesn't. Actually he doesn't like intelligence agencies at all. He's bumped heads with the Company several times and said once that the NSA should be shut down. Quote 'The goings-on of other nations is none of our business. If they can't stop their own downward spiral its none of our concern. Should their mess spill over to us then we should retaliate with full nuclear capabilities' end quote."

"Wow. That's extreme," Kimberly remarked.

"That's not even the half of it. He wants to cut all ties to other nations. Send their diplomats out and bring ours back. Pull every Service out of foreign countries and close the bases. He doesn't support a border wall, he wants military patrols and landmines. Not to deport illegals but execute them on sight. Shut down the space program, cut Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands loose. That's for openers. Set back civil rights fifty years or so, too," Dannigan informed them.

"That's fanatical," Krystel said.

Dannigan nodded, "he won't even accept campaign contributions from anyone but verified American entities. A Catholic Diocese tried to contribute to him a few years ago. He threw the priest out, literally. He stated that he refuse to take money from foreign powers, which of course the Vatican is. He proposed penalties to American companies that outsource to third world countries and increasing the import duties on foreign goods by fifty percent. School shooting? He proposes arming the teachers with fully automatic rifles."

"He's not Fanatical, Krystel. The man's psychotic," Kimberly corrected.

"Worse. He's popular too. There's a lot of people that think he makes sense. So far he hasn't done anything to warrant action, but should anything happen to him personally he could use it in the upcoming election. He's got a lot of support from the anti-gay, anti-war, pro-life, pro-gun crowds. The Mormons won't go anywhere near him. He denounced them because they haven't put an end to the polygamous factions still in operation in Utah and Arizona," Dannigan finished.

"So the best thing is to figure out what they have planned and not even let him get wind of it? What he doesn't know; he can't exploit," Krystel asked.

Dannigan nodded, "yes."

Kimberly nodded, "we haven't stopped. We're all over this. Everybody is on Black Bayonet; one hour recall right now. Pete is on his way up there right now but he has his gear with him."

"Upgrade that to ten minute recall. The second you find something scramble everybody," Dannigan instructed them then closed out the conference.

"Krystel. Send Shawna a message. Tell her to go ahead and deploy to Kansas and secure ground transport for the others when she gets there," Kimberly said.

"Aye Aye Ma'am," Krystel said then sent the message.

 

~o~O~o~

 

Shawna had gotten the message to deploy and was loading her two bags into the trunk of the Camaro when Blake returned.

"Sorry Chiefie. Gotta go," Shawna said locking the front door and walking back to the car.

"Small town. I could tag along," Blake said then noticed the bags in the trunk, "oh. That kinda 'go'."

Shawna closed the trunk then settled into the driver's seat, "maybe when I get back we can pick up that conversation."

Blake nodded, "right. See ya."

Shawna smiled as she drove away. He really wasn't bad on the eyes at all. He had a good reputation too. Even publicly defended a gay MP that was being hassled. Or so the report said he was gay. Actually the man was straight, he had a transgender girlfriend. That was included in the report. Blake Jacobsen went by the book unless it was obvious someone exploited the book to slam somebody. Pretty good guy in her opinion. Two hours later Shawna was flying west. Before take off she received the message that everyone else would scramble at first light.

 



 

Chapter 3

Robbie walked to the soccer field first thing that morning. He met up with Chris a block from his house. Together they walked to the field. Once there they began to warm up. Stretches then jogging up and down the sidelines. Finally they passed a ball back and forth while the rest of the team arrived. Thirty minutes later the match started. Robbie ran as fast as he could. The other team tried putting two players to cover him. Robbie countered by constantly passing the ball to Chris. When they switched to covering Chris he passed it to Robbie. Robbie was quick and agile. He outmaneuvered the opposing players relentlessly.

In frustration the boy covering Robbie decided that instead of trying to block or intercept, he blatantly kicked Robbie's feet out from under him before the ball even got close. Fortunately the referee saw it and red flagged the player. The coach argued but the player was sent off for the rest of the game. Robbie and Chris both enjoyed being Forwards. The only downside was the third forward, Zane. Zane also played football as quarterback. His father allowed him to play soccer because it kept him in good condition during the off season and didn't put strain on his throwing arm. However, Zane was convinced that everyone on the team was simply there to give him the ball and only he was allowed to score goals. A viewpoint encouraged by his father. That caused quick turnovers. Rival teams knew of his ego and would make the most of it. Since he refused to pass the ball they constantly took it from him. As he was bigger than everyone except the goalie he usually tried to bully them all. Especially Robbie since he was the second smallest on the team, and better than he was.

During the break a big argument broke out among the team.

"Why do you keep letting them score off us," Zane yelled.

Drew the goalie grabbed him by the shirt, "they keep taking the ball from you stupid. You want to pretend you're the only one playing, go back to football!"

"I'm the best player on the team," Zane yelled back, "you all just give me the ball and I make the goals!"

"Take charge Zane," his father said loudly.

"CAN IT! ALL OF YOU," the Coach yelled walking over.

"Zane I'll say it one more time. You are NOT the best player! Of the twenty turnovers against us; thirteen were on you! Robbie and Chris have scored a goal each and you don't get anywhere near it. This is a soccer team, not the Zane Trichell all-star hour! Get your head on straight or go home," The Coach said to him then addressed the rest of the team, "we're down one goal. Midfielders; keep up the pressure and make them go on the defensive. Drew stay center right, that one forward has a mean leftie. Strikers work together to get the ball past their defense. Signal, signal, signal. They're used to players yelling cues that they aren't watching your hands. Strategy is going to win this game and ours is good. Now go back out there and run them into the ground," The Coach said loudly in encouragement.

"Zane! You get that ball and keep it til you score. Make every goal boy," Zane's father yelled out.

"STUFF THAT! TEAMWORK," the Coach yelled then turned to Zane's father, "If he doesn't start working with the other players he's off. Last chance; learn to work with the team or go play tennis. And don't you ever counter my instructions. I'm the Coach!"

Play had resumed and it was even more grueling than the first half.

 

~o~O~o~

 

Hammad and four others sat in the beat up brown van and watched. Hammad and one man were able to watch through the windshield. The other three were watching using the camera and laptop. Those three ended up becoming very enthusiastic. As if they were watching a match on television. They even made wagers during the break. Hammad ignored them. It was diffusing the tension. Again he had to admit to himself the boy was good. Quite easily the star of the team. Too bad for them all. Carefully he kept watch for the parents or any possible watchers for him.

The second half was even more pitched than the first and the men knew it. It became no different that sitting somewhere else and watching a match on television. Hammad couldn't spot any obvious parents or minders for the boy. If none appeared then the plan would be successful. Patiently he sat watching.

 

~o~O~o~

 

The time was getting close. They only had one minute left of play. Once again Zane was trying to be a ball-hog and had lost it to an opposing midfielder who then lost it to Chris. Robbie signaled and raced for the goal. Chris saw an opening and kicked the ball through it. The ball bounced right into Robbie's line and he was able to tap it to stay on the ground and just as he drew even with the straight line of the goal he stepped over the ball and popped it up from behind him. As the ball went up Robbie twisted and swung his left leg up, lifting him off the ground and he kicked with his right; sending the ball right past the Goalie who had expected the ball to come from the other side as Robbie was a rightie. The team yelled out in triumph when the ball flew into the net.

Robbie yelled out and ran holding his arms up in victory. The referee blew his whistle. Game over and Robbie's team had won by one goal.

Chris almost dove to tackle Robbie, "MAN THAT WAS SO COOL!"

Other members of the team echoed the statement. They'd never really seen such a shot done. For them the coolest thing they had seen, was a guy do a hand-spring with the ball to send it in from outside.

Suddenly Robbie was shoved from behind.

"That was my goal! You were supposed to send the ball to me to score. That fancy move almost cost us the game! Flipping and turning around like a cheerleader? What's next? Wearing a skirt for the game," Zane demanded.

"You couldn't get near that goal! You almost lost us the game trying to be a ball-hog. They stole it from you. Lucky for us Chris was right there to steal it back. I had position and you didn't," Robbie said, "you didn't have position because you won't work with the team!"

Zane punched him, "I'm the star! I don't have to. You all get ME the ball and I score the goals! The rest of you pansies are just to fill the field!"

The goalie had run up and grabbed Zane into a full nelson before he could kick Robbie while he was on the ground.

"THAT'S ENOUGH ZANE," Drew yelled.

The Coach had seen it all and walked over, "Zane you're outta here!"

"You can't do that," Zane's father stated.

"Oh yes I can! You and your spoiled brat can go play tennis or something. Drew turn him loose. Chris help Robbie up," The coach ordered.

The parents of other players had rallied around the team to send Zane and his belligerent father off. Eventually everyone began to move off. Chris' parents had come to see the last half of the game. Robbie grabbed his sport bag and ball then began to walk home. His dad didn't care for Robbie playing soccer and not football, but at least winning wasn't something he complained about. Robbie crossed the field working the ball back and forth to himself. At the sidewalk he scooped up the ball with his foot, bounced it up with his knee then head and caught it. He crossed the street and walked a block down the sidewalk when a brown van turned onto a side street ahead of him. A man got out and started looking at the sign post and scratching his head then looking up and down the avenue.

"Are you lost," Robbie asked.

The man looked up at the sign again and sighed, "I must be. Ironwood lane?"

Robbie had made it to the side street and pointed down it, "its two blocks that way. See where that blue truck is?"

Robbie didn't get to finish asking. A hand with a rag was clamped over his mouth and nose. His bag and ball dropped as he was picked up and carried into the van. The rag smelled funny and he started feeling light headed and everything was looking fuzzy then went black. No cars had passed. He'd been alone.

 

~o~O~o~

 

LoneStar set the GulfStream down. It was just past noon. The small hobby field on the outskirts of Kansas City was less busy than the main airport. He steered over to two LearJets by two black SUVs. Pete was standing by one of the SUVs talking to Shawna. LoneStar swung wide and turned to park the jet in line with the others. Carl dropped the stairs and bailed out as a ground-man set chocks for the wheels. He called for a fuel truck to come over and begin refueling as everyone else de-planed.

Out of earshot of the ground-man and fuelers Shawna updated the group.

"Everybody screwed the pooch on this one. Sorry. Everybody, including me, thought they were gunning for the Congressman. They grabbed the kid an hour and a half ago. They've already contacted the house twice. Krystel was already monitoring their incoming calls. The first call traced five times back to a skype account. The second call got her past the skype and she grabbed the IP," Shawna informed them.

"FUCK," everyone exclaimed at the same time.

Lyssa asked, "are the Tangos hiding in plain sight or do they have a secure site?"

"They're hiding in an old tenement building right on the edge of a commercial area. All I have right now are satellite views. and blueprints. Krystel ran a check and only one person has utilities there for two apartments. both on the same floor," Shawna answered.

"There's only us five plus Warlock. How many Tangos on the Hard-Site," Rodrick asked.

Tiffany answered, "heat signatures currently suggest nine."

"Suggest," Lyssa asked.

Shawna nodded, "there's nine heat signatures. Assume one is the boy. Incoming message traffic indicate one off-site."

"Move now. Let's get eyes on then make the assault plan," Rodrick said.

"When's the Congressman due," Lyssa asked.

"His flight was delayed due to mechanical. He should be here in the next two hours," Tiffany said.

"Tiffany, Pete and Rodrick. Shawna and I with Warlock. Shawna on point. Let's go," Lyssa ordered.

They loaded up and rolled out. LoneStar and Madison stayed with the planes. Tiffany had met up with Pete and Madison in Memphis and rode in with him. She'd ride back with them to Memphis. Twenty minutes later they parked close enough to be able to set up a camera to watch the building. They set up their comm unit on the roof of one of the SUVs. It would relay between them, Dannigan and the Hangar. Pete set up a hyperbolic Microphone and began using it to detect sounds in the rooms. Tiffany was using a thermal scope on a sniper rifle to scan exact body placements. They were in position for thirty minutes.

"Floors one through four are silent," Pete called out over their comms.

Tiffany called out, "no heat signatures one through four. I have seven signatures on five and one on six. Wait. Two on six. One was on the roof."

"Out going comm traffic," Krystel announced, "the residence is calling a mobile. They're calling the Congressman."

"Damn his plane must've made up the time," Shawna commented.

The audio from the calls were patched through their comms. They didn't like the dialogue

"We're monitoring his phone too. He just disconnected. SHIT! He's calling the FBI," Kimberly stated.

"THAT FUCKING IDIOT," Rodrick said.

They listened to the angry dialogue. Unfortunately there was a Field Office in Kansas. A team would be waiting when the door of the plane opened for him.

Warlock was getting antsy. His commander was angry. The other two-leggeds were highly agitated too. He wanted action then go back to the little ones. At home patrol and guard the little noisy ones. Away from home was action. Find the things soldiers hate, take down the ones they don't like. He kept looking from Lyssa to the street and back. She was the one who would give him orders. Suddenly everyone came together and began talking. Warlock watched eagerly wagging his tail. Soon she would give him orders. Find or fight.

 

~o~O~o~

 

Hammad answered the cellphone, " Yes."

" He has called people. People in suits driving black SUVs. They are bringing in equipment," the voice said.

Hammad chuckled, "He has called government agents to find and capture us and save the boy. I warned him what would happen. Return to here.

He disconnected the call then went to the computer and put on the headphones with microphone. Hammad used skype and called the first phone. It forwarded through the other phones then dialed the Congressman's residence. It was answered on the third ring. He knew they would begin tracing the call.

"Brice," the congressman stated.

"We did warn you not to call in your police. You called in your agents instead of meeting our demands. For this we will take from your son the future of a man," Hammad said then disconnected.

He then took off the headphones, "come with me."

He picked up a knife along with a bucket with paper and wood in it. They went inside the room.

 

~o~O~o~

 

Robbie heard the men talking then the door opened.

"What's going on? Why did you kidnap me," Robbie asked.

A bucket was set over by the window and stuff inside were lit on fire. Two men held his arms and pulled him to sit on the floor. Two others pulled his legs apart. One man crouched down with a knife in his hand. Robbie struggled as the man cut off his shorts then the athletic supporter.

"STOP! GET OFF ME! LEMME GO! LEMME GO," Robbie yelled struggling.

The man with the knife punched him in the face and Robbie saw lights explode everywhere and went slack. In a daze the man grabbed his parts and held them roughly. It hurt, making Robbie suck in air between his teeth. The man then reached forward with the knife and drew a line up the bottom side of his sac and shaft. It felt like a line of fire. Robbie screamed in pain. The scream pitched up higher as the man started pulling the inside out and cutting it away.

 

~o~O~o~

 

Everyone had taken new positions. They all heard the conversation.

"The future of a man? What the fuck does that exactly mean," Shawna asked.

Pete snarled, "they're about to emasculate that kid."

A wild scream could be heard from inside the building.

"GO GO GO," Lyssa commanded then ran across to the front door and kicked it open.

"WARLOCK! SUCHEN," Lyssa ordered.

The Belgian shepherd bolted to the front. Find the ones to take down. He lead them up stairs. There was a noise he'd never heard before. Its sounded like it came from where the smells were stronger.

Lyssa led the team forward, the screams were now almost animalistic. She followed the tactical dog up to the fifth floor and down the hall. A door stood open that the screams seemed to be coming from. Warlock charged in.

"VERNICHTEN," Lyssa commanded as she rounded the doorway and opened fire with the CAR-15.

Warlock obeyed and leapt on the closest target, bringing him down then savaging his neck.

Yells erupted from everywhere, but it was too late. Shawna came in right behind Lyssa and began firing. Pete was next then Tiffany and Rodrick. They tore apart the three men in the room and advanced to the adjoining room. Four men were struggling to let go of the screaming boy while another stood in front of burning bucket at the window.

"ALIVE," Lyssa ordered.

They targeted from left to right with gut shots and brought them down. The last one charged with the knife. Warlock jumped and grabbed his arm, clamping down hard. The man roared in anger and pain trying now to beat the dog. The fight was done a second later as Lyssa and Rodrick smashed the butts of their assault rifled to his head.

"WARLOCK! HALTEN! LOS! LOS," Lyssa commanded for him to stop and let go..

The Belgian released the enemy's arm and edged back but ready to attack again as he growled menacingly.

"Oh my fucking God," Tiffany said.

The boy had finally run out of breath still staring down at himself.

"We have medics nearby. Do you need them," Kimberly asked.

Rodrick replied, "affirmative. Med-Evac one."

"Copy. quarter mile now inbound," Kimberly stated then asked, "status?"

Lyssa ordered Tiffany and Shawna, "Evac the boy. Command, three down, four wounded critical and one light injury. Securing now."

Tiffany and Shawna gingerly picked the boy up on each side and began to carry him out then down the stairs. When they arrived at the front door an ambulance crew had pulled up and were opening the back doors.

"WHOA! WHAT THE FUCK," a man said then saw the boy's injuries and ran around to the other side and vomited.

The woman gasped, "oh my God!"

She climbed in as the two black-clad women with facial paint lifted him inside to the gurney.

Lyssa's voice came over the comms, "Sierra Delta. Golf Mike. Be advised; anatomy is non-recoverable. The fire in the bucket was too hot. Repeat: anatomy is NON-recoverable."

Shawna whispered to the woman paramedic, "inform the emergency team that the anatomy was burned to destruction. Non-recoverable. We were too late."

Shawna then climbed out.

Tiffany grabbed the man and snarled, "we weren't here. You didn't see us. You picked the kid up on the sidewalk. Say anything else and you'll see us again."

She had dragged him by the arm to the driver's side and pushed him into the cab.

Shawna was closing the doors, "same goes for you. Now get him to the hospital now!"

The back door was slammed shut and she banged on it twice. The ambulance started up and drove off. Then the sirens and lights went on. Lyssa and the other were coming out the door when they heard tires screech. A car had stopped in the middle of the side street. The driver took out a pistol and aimed toward them.

"CONTACT NINE O' CLOCK. FIRE," Rodrick ordered.

Everyone took aim and let loose until the magazines ran dry. The inside of the car looked like a blender had gone off. Quickly they extracted. They returned to the airport and unloaded most of the gear. Shawna would stay on site until clear. She had changed back into a skirt suit and re-applied her make-up. Every one of the women had concealed their hair with bandannas. She drove off to the hospital to see what was going on. Pete and Madison were taking their time. They'd eat before leaving. Tiffany jumped in with Rodrick, Lyssa and LoneStar. They'd drop her off in Memphis.

 



 
Chapter 4

An FBI agent answered the door to police offer.

"Uh. I'm here to pick up Congressman Brice and his wife," Officer Valdez stated.

"What," A woman asked.

"Mrs. Brice," he asked.

"We got a situation here officer. You need to go," the Agent said.

"Sorry Agent but I'm here to take the Congressman and his wife to Mercy Hospital. Their son is en route now," Ramon Valdez stated.

"Robbie's on his way to the hospital? How did you find him," Clair Brice asked.

"We didn't. An ambulance picked him up on a sidewalk. I got the call through dispatch," the cop told them.

Congressman Brice shouldered his way past the Agent, "let's go!"

He barreled out to the squad car and got in the front seat. Valdez opened the backdoor for Mrs. Brice then closed it after she was in. He then got into the driver's seat.

"COME ON WE'RE WASTING TIME," Robert Brice demanded.

"Its an important trip so I thought we'd bring mrs. Brice along too. Now buckle your seat belt asshole or I'll write you a fucking ticket," Valdez growled.

Brice shouted, "I'M A CONGRESSMAN!"

"I didn't vote for you. Now buckle up before I taze you," Valdez said as he pulled away.

Brice put on the seat belt. Minutes later they pulled up to the Emergency Room entrance. He bolted from the car and ran to the door.

"WHERE'S MY SON," he bellowed.

"Sir calm down. If you'll tell me," a woman in scrubs began to ask.

Brice shoved her out of the way, "IDIOT! MOVE!"

A security guard grabbed his arm, "hold there mister!"

Brice swung his fist at him but it was caught by Officer Valdez.

"If you don't get a fucking grip I'm gonna light you up," Valdez ordered.

"Excuse me. Our son was brought in. Robbie Brice. Where is he please," Clair asked.

"Ma'am," a man in blue scrubs called out, "this way please. I'm Doctor Micheal Collins, Trauma and Urology."

Clair and Robert followed him toward a set of doors. When they opened they could hear high pitched screaming. A nurse leaned out of a curtained area.

"He's back with us," the nurse said.

"What happened to our son," Robert demanded.

"Its very bad. I'll be honest; I haven't seen anything like this since I was with Doctors Without Borders," Micheal stated.

He led the directly to the curtained area the screaming was coming from. It was dropping down now.

Robbie looked up and saw his parents with horror-struck expressions.

"I'm afraid he's been completely emasculated," Micheal said softly.

"Momma. Daddy. Help. Hurts. They took. They took," Robbie croaked out.

He had screamed so much his voice was barely a whisper.

Clair went over and hugged Robbie, " shhh Baby. We're here."

"There's no way to salvage. He has two options. We can remove the last remnants or we can re-assign," Micheal stated.

Robert looked at him, "what do you mean by 're-assign'?"

"There is enough viable tissue left to reconstruct into a vagina. With the proper hormonal regime female puberty can be induced. I've consulted with a specialist. She was in town giving a lecture. She's on her way. Doctor Bronson is the leading surgeon for reconstruction. She should be here any moment," Dr. Collins informed them.

"That moment is now Doctor Collins. Oh my," a woman stated walking up.

"What are you talking about? You mean some kind of sex change? My son isn't a freak," Robert Brice said loudly.

"Nobody said he was," Doctor Bronson said looking closely at the boy's mutilated groin.

She stood up an shook her head, "there's not a lot to work with. This was intentional. Doctor Collins is correct though. There is enough to perform a vaginaplasty. In time a normal relationship can be enjoyed. Luckily there is some of the nerve cluster left. We don't have much time though."

"NOW LOOK HERE LADY! YOU'RE NOT TURNING MY SON INTO SOME KIND OF QUEER FREAK," Robert shouted.

"A eunuch with mental dysfunction would be a cruelty," Dr. Bronson stated.

Clair asked, "you said a normal relationship? As a woman?"

Dr. Bronson nodded, "yes. Normal except for no menstrual cycles or pregnancy. Otherwise yes."

"I'LL BE RUINED POLITICALLY. I FORBID IT," Robert shouted.

"If we don't do something in the next ten minutes he'll be dead," Dr. Collins reminded them all.

Clair walked over to the doctors, "I'll sign the release or waiver. Save my baby."

Robert abruptly back-handed her. Clair went straight to the floor.

"DON'T YOU UNDERMINE ME! I SAID I FORBID IT," Robert screamed at her.

Everyone froze. A woman walked up and pressed a gun to back of his head.

"Freeze," a calm voice said.

"DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHO I AM? I'LL HAVE YOU IN PRISON," Robert screamed.

"You're an idiot that just pissed me off when I'm having a bad day to begin with. You Bureau jack asses better put away those sidearms," Shawna said flatly.

"Lady who do you think you are," The Agent in charge said angrily.

Shawna flashed her credentials, "Susan Caldwell. National Security Agency. Counter-Terror Operations, Domestic. Every single swingin' richard's NIGHTMARE and I'm taking charge of your by-the-numbers clusterfuck!"

The Agents put away their guns. None of them wanted to get any further on the wrong side of such an Agent.

"I'll have your JOB! I'LL SHUT DOWN THE AGENCY! I'LL HAVE YOU THROWN IN PRISON," Robert Brice now screamed.

"You're in deep enough shit as it is, dickhead. You bypassed all procedures and protocols and that kid paid for your arrogance.. Doctors. Save that kid. Ma'am. If you can stand go with them. Do what needs to be done," Shawna ordered.

"Let's go. Prep the patient and get him to O.R. STAT," Doctor Bronson instructed.

"HOW DARE YOU," Robert shouted.

Shawna triggered of a shot right beside his head into the wall. He wet himself and fainted.

"Get that idiot out of here," Shawna ordered the FBI agents.

They promptly picked him up and carried him out. Shawna then followed to the surgical waiting room. She took out her phone and called the Hangar.

"Go," Kimberly answered.

"Maintain the tap on Brice's hard-lines and cellphones. I have a feeling this is gonna go sideways. Have Pete and Madison left," Shawna asked.

"No they're still at the airfield. What do you need," Kimberly asked.

Shawna talked fast, "we may have to extract the mother and kid. Brice is going ape-shit because they're doing an emergency re-assignment. Have Madison pose as Social Services or something. She needs paperwork for an emergency divorce and possible transfer of custody for the kid to the Agency. Tell Pete to play Marshal or something. I'm playing NSA."

"We're all over it. We got other problems. The incident made the national news. The Texas group is on the move. We think they're heading for Florida or Mexico," Kimberly said then disconnected.

Shawna went over to Clair. Twenty minutes later she finished signing the last form. A nurse came and took the forms, made a copy and returned the originals.

"Am I doing the right thing Miss, uh, Agent? I'm sorry. I'm not sure how to address you," Clair said.

Shawna patted her hand, "Susan is fine. I believe you're doing the only thing you can right now. I made a call. Some things are out of my ability. The people that did this to your son weren't alone. We don't know where the rest are. The two of you may have to go into protective custody."

Clair buried her face in her hands, "What they've done isn't enough for those monsters? They still would come after my baby?"

Shawna nodded, "yes. They failed in their priority. That means they want revenge. Help is coming for you though."

The elevator chimed and a woman in a tan skirt and white blouse came out carrying a legal case.

"Hello. Are you Agent Caldwell," She asked.

"Yes. This is Clair Brice," Shawna said.

"Hello Clair. I'm sorry your having such a troubling time. My name is Madison. I work for the Department of Justice. I understand there is a very dangerous situation here," Madison said.

Shawna nodded, "there is where I leave you Clair. This is my card, just in case. Best of luck."

"I can take it from here Agent Caldwell," Madison said.

Shawna left them. Madison opened her case and brought out several pages. Carefully she explained them and Clair quickly signed. Madison handed her the final page.

"This one is the 'last resort' page. This transfers custody of Robbie into our care should anything happen to you. Firstly, I assure you Robbie would not be put into the system. Secondly; his protection would be at the forefront. He wouldn't have ordinary foster parents. He would be looked after by the finest agents. Protected," Madison explained.

Clair nodded, "its that bad then. Promise me Robert would never be able to find him either."

Madison nodded, "I promise."

Clair signed the form and handed it back.

Madison looked it over and tucked it into the case with the others, "that's it. As I understand you're in that great of danger. Once Robbie is stable we'll transfer to a more secure medical center. Right now can you get home and pack a few things for yourself? Whatever you can't live without for three days. When you and Robbie leave here, you don't come back, ever."

Clair nodded, "I understand. I'll be back in an hour and a half."

Madison nodded, "I'll be right here."

Clair left in a hurry. Madison sighed and checked in with Pete. Pete was waiting with the plane fueled and ready to take off whenever she arrived.

An hour later Doctor Bronson came out. Madison informed her and showed her the paperwork. She told Madison that Robbie was now in Recovery and as bad as the injury was, she was confident the results would be undetectable. Madison thanked her and asked that Robbie be prepared for travel as soon as possible. The doctor advised against it but would make the necessary preparations.

Madison had went to the ladies' room and was just about to sit back down in the waiting area when her phone rang.

She answered it, "Madison."

"GRAB THE KID AND GET THE FUCK OUT OF DODGE NOW," Shawna yelled.

Madison rushed to the window and looked down at the parking lot for enemies, "what happened? Clair isn't back yet!"

"CLAIR'S DEAD! BRICE CALLED A JUDGE AND DIRTY SHRINK. THEY DID AN OD ON HER TO MAKE HER COMMITTABLE. IT BACKFIRED AND SHE DIED. RIP THE BRACELET OFF ROBBIE AND LEAVE IT WITH THE DOC. GET THE TWO OF YOU OUT OF THERE NOW. I'LL COVER UP FOR YOU," Shawna ordered.

"WE'RE GONE," Madison said and disconnected.

She grabbed the case and rushed down the hallway until she found the Recovery room. Quickly she tried to get the bracelet off Robbie's wrist.

"What are you doing," Doctor Bronson demanded.

"Clair's just been killed! We have to get Robbie out of here now. Get this bracelet off. The Agent is coming back to cover up what's happening to Robbie. HURRY," Madison said.

Doctor Bronson had a gut feeling that the shit had hit the fan and now was the time to salvage whatever could be. She went with the feeling and quickly slit the bracelet off. She then went and brought in a travel gurney. Together they transferred Robbie to it and disconnected the monitors. The gurney had an IV pole so she hung it.

"We need a way out that's not watched and an ambulance," Madison stated.

Doctor Collins spoke up, "this way."

The three of them rolled the gurney down the hall to the service elevator and rode down to the first floor. They went through a side door and were out in the parking lot. There were four ambulances lined up. Dr. Collins opened the door of the first one. A young man was stocking supplies.

"What's up," The paramedic asked.

The gurney was shoved inside taking up the last of the space. Madison climbed in then turned to the Doctors.

"When the Agent comes back give her the bracelet. You know nothing else," Madison said.

The sheet had been pulled to cover Robbie's face. She pulled her gun out after the doors were closed.

"Listen close. I'm a Federal Agent. Drive. No radio, no sirens, running lights only. Take us to the hobby airfield," Madison said firmly.

The driver had turned around and been listening.

"Ma'am we'll take you anywhere you wanna go. If you can prove what you are then I got no problem," The driver said.

Madison pulled a Marshal ID and badge.

"Works for me," He said and started up the ambulance and drove away calmly, "this never happened, right?"

Madison nodded, "right."

Thirty minutes later a LearJet took off heading east. Another took off an hour later.

 

~o~O~o~

 

Blake yawned as he drove. It was early in the morning. He'd finish this circuit then go home and take a nap. He soon found himself pulling in at DarkHouse. The Camaro was parked under the portico. She was back. Blake got out and went to the side door. He was about to knock but could hear music on. It was loud. Gingerly he tried the knob. It turned easily.

"This is a bad idea," he said to himself but opened the door anyway.

The music was loud. He let himself in and looked around. Slowly he worked his way upstairs. Light filtered from under a door. He quietly tried the knob and opened it. Just as it opened he heard a scream. He almost slammed the door shut and bolted but hesitated. It wasn't a scream of shock or fear. It was a scream of horror. He edged the door open more. Inside he saw steam. She was in the shower. He could just barely see her reflection in the mirror.

Shawna was slumped in the shower now crying, "I'm sorry! I'm sorry!"

Blake eased back, closed the door and went back downstairs. He knew that where ever she had been, things went wrong. They went wrong and she hadn't been alone.Now in a personal Hell because of it. He moved to the kitchen and saw the screen on her phone lit up.

a message read:

GM. Package secure. stand down. ID

Blake shook his head. He knew enough to know that was military or Intelligence chatter. He locked the door on his way out and climbed back into the patrol unit. He'd give her til the afternoon before trying to visit. Maybe he'd find a way to be the grand fool and make her smile somehow.
 
 
 
 
 

This story continues in LKM 41: Angels and Animosity

author's note- a special thank you goes out to Joanne Foxcourt. I read her story Audra and I wondered what would happen if the O.I.C.A. encounter something similar. Things definitely go differently. For better and worse. stay tuned. I'm far from done.

up
471 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

OPEN door, . . .go inside ?!?

First gut response as ex NYPD was , . . Nnnaahhh! Somehow though, you made it believable & perfectly painted the extreme emotionally charged scene. Great work as always Snowfall

johncorc1

This is so close to what we

This is so close to what we have going on today, it isn't even funny. Who knows how many male children or men even have been subjected to this by the AHs and murderers known as ISIS? Man's inhumanity to man is beyond the pale, and yet we place ourselves above other animals who would not ever do this to their own species.
I am looking forward to the next chapter of this story, because I want to see the congressman get his, and hopefully Robbie is placed with Sam and Bobby. Good thinking on the part of the team to get Claire to sign over her parental rights to them if she happened to be killed or incapacitated mentally.

I need

a manicure after that nail-biting episode. I hope everything goes OK with Robbie. His father has gone insane.

I look forward to the next exciting episode. Thanks Snowfall

Joanna

Had déjà vu reading about DarkHouse...

Was I the only one having flashes of a certain Hallmark movie during the "DarkHouse" scenes? All the main setup points seem to be there. Don't get me wrong. It works, and it's definitely going in a markedly different direction which should prove interesting. I never would have thought it would work with the darker spin, but I have to admit, I kind of like it.

nice

Alecia Snowfall's picture

nice. I know what you're thinking about and yeah it inspired that part of the story.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

I love these solo-focused

I love these solo-focused stories. Lyssa is great but reading these adventures adds a lot to what the OICA can do.

Regarding this story: Yikes! I hate missions where even if you succeed you still fail. I am pleased that they are going to help Robbie as their own personal penance for being a little too late. I hope they stick it to the congressman for what he did to his wife and tried to do to his child.

Shawna has an admirer and she won over the heart of his daughter, I hope that her cover isn't fully blown though. The chief seems to "get" her and her job and she has chemistry with him, I hope that the mayor's wife doesn't make his life hell to the point that they are forced apart though.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

a rough time

but good to see the girls in action. I have a feeling the good Congressman is not about to last much longer, especially as I feel as he is going to search high and low for Robbie as well as a certain NSA agent, and At the least Robbie has survived. I think there could be another addition to Ram rock island, Thank You Snowfall for another addition to this great story cannot wait to see where it carries on to.

Matt

Poor Robbie

I know it's fiction but still I feel for his/her fate. Snowfall, may I say you had just started another story? The story of Robbie. I just hope she won't commit suicide.
Just thought after a while, Shawna cried sorry in the shower, I assume she is blaming herself for Clair death.
Anyway great story like always. Thank you. :)

Shawna's shower

Alecia Snowfall's picture

since this won't be addressed in the story-lines I'll go ahead and tell you. Shawna had her 'breakdown moment' because of what happened to Robbie and Clair yes. Sometimes the intel points in a direction that makes sense and you go with it. That was the case here and because of that innocent people paid the price for that mistake. Like Efin said there are times the missions succeed but still fail. Its true. Operators can do everything right and by-the-numbers all the way and still fail in the bigger picture. That is a discussion that will take place later on. Shawna has now felt the pain so many in Special Operations do. Operators have the mindset that none are faster, stronger, more skilled, more DEADLY than they are. Its not true, but it is a necessary mindset to have to carry one through their mission. That they can not die and if they do they can only die completing the mission and taking the opposition with them. Call it foolish, call it crazy, call it stupid if you must but know this; that's the way they are and have to be. Its what makes Operators so formidable and sometimes a little luck and audacity can indeed win the day. When the bullets stop flying, the smoke clears and the bodies are counted, its not our fallen that actually pay the price for mission success. Its the ones that carry them home and have to stand in the grassy fields in dress uniforms while saluting that do.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Thanks for the insight.

I am not a military person but I love to make believe I am one when I read this story. Feeling sad and touch by that shower cry part which I remember Lyssa also gone through in previous timeline, same feeling that makes one want to hugs her with care and tell her everything is going to be alright. And also it instill in me more respect to all those who do what they do to keep us all safe.
Thanks again. :)

A familiar mindset and historical technique

Aljan Darkmoon's picture

Operators have the mindset that none are faster, stronger, more skilled, more DEADLY than they are. Its not true, but it is a necessary mindset to have to carry one through their mission. … Its what makes Operators so formidable…

It’s also what made the Saxon invaders so formidable when they went a-viking in their longboats. In their own language, these elite warriors were known as Berserkers.

A vagina, yes

But sadly no sensitivity. The penis is gone and along with it essentially the clitoris.

Poor, poor child.

Shawna's support

It sounds like Shawna is going to have an admirer that has been through the wringer as a marine and knows that there are certain lines not to cross. Blackjack and the kids sound like they may be able to help Shawna get through this situation just by being there for her in spite of the Mayor's wife. It's a shame about Robbie and his forced change in life and lifestyle, yet, we know he'll be safe on the island with Maria and those that are still there. Maria will probably want to take care of his sperm donor of a father herself as she'll look at him being family much like Sam. Kudos on this whirlwind of excitement chapter!

Hmmm

You know I had another thought. Robbie may well think that his/her life is over but if he does stay on the Island I Think that perhaps the biggest help could well be Lonestar. He suffered greatly in the crash and with the severe burns that keeps his face covered under the Helmet. He may well be the 1 to help most showing Robbie theres a way to live. yes there will be lots of support from all the others. and I think that Star and Kim make a great Cpl so would be nice to make a family unit of them.

Matt

the only question I have is

the only question I have is why would they send the mother home alone to get their things when they know the congressman is such a psycho

To be fair to the O.I.C.A People

Sammi's picture

Several things that you have to take into account, which are that they expected the congressman to try something to remove Clair
If what was attempted was to succeed they would have extracted her from the hospital.
However the inept doctor/psychiatrist tried to give her an overdose to backup the congressman's claim that she was unstable, this failed because as a rule street drugs are weakened with other things, my point being Clair might have been allergic to something in the drug.
Also if he hadn't read her medical file the use of any prescription drug could have done the same.

Thinking about it O.I.C.A probably expected the congressman to try to have her committed as in a secure unit she'd be out of sight and out of mind, and thus giving them a better opportunity to disappear her.
There could have been a multitude of reasons that she died, personally I don't think her death was the desired result as this would put the spotlight on the three conspirators, from the outside it would look extremely suspicious that not only did the three have her committed but the doctors and other official types including Madison and Co would have been likely to have noticed something her demeanour at the hospital when Robbie was being attended to.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

Lyssa had a similar reaction

winterwolf12's picture

Lyssa did the same thing after the woman from the Embassy in Columbia
was kidnapped and tortured.
The congressman and terrorists have joined a very select list.
Lyssa's to do list. I wonder if Lyssa still has her Dragons or the Acid vat

what a rough day for that kid

kidnapped, emasculated, had his mother killed, and taken into protective custody to save him from his own dad ...

I really hope they dont try to make him a girly girl. He's a he, no matter what's in his pants

DogSig.png

I've seen worse

Aljan Darkmoon's picture

author's note- a special thank you goes out to Joanne Foxcourt. I read her story Audra and I wondered what would happen if the O.I.C.A. encounter something similar.

I think I can top that. :D Can’t remember the story name, but the protagonist gets his legs and backside run over by a tractor lawn mower. One vaginoplasty and a pair of repaired (and surgically shortened) Achilles tendons later, and our hero cannot walk unassisted unless “she” wears heels at least 5"/12cm high. A more improbable plot device for stuffing someone into a French maid costume and fetish stilettos I have yet to see.

I read Audra, too. I do not know if Joanne was the first, but the device has gained some popularity in TG fiction as a way to involuntarily femme a cisgendered male by means of enemy action or accident. This always troubles me because I cannot forget the real life case of David Reimer, who was given a vaginoplasty in infancy after a botched circumcision. Unlike most of the published stories, his story ended in suicide. :(

My gawd!

Jamie Lee's picture

Blake was so right to give it to the Mayor's wife. She's the Mayor's wife, no one with authority to tell anyone to do anything, and Blake finally made it clear. Maybe jail time would help her get the idea.

Blake is smitten with Shawna, and she needs his shoulder. His understanding it didn't go well means he's been there, done that and has the scars to prove it. And knows she needs time to herself.

How arrogant does someone have to be to believe no one would dare hurt his family, he's a congressman. It was his arrogance which got his son emasculated and made it necessary for a gender change to save the boys life. To bad the team could have kept those monsters alive and shown them the real pain which can be administered.

Brick needs a visit in the middle of the night and shown what happens to men who kill woman to advance their own agendas. Congressman Eunuch Brick has a nice ring to it.

Robbie is finally in safe hands, though it will take he time to come to grips with what happened. He's, or rather, she's got the best protection possible and will get the best medical care available. She'll also get the best therapy available to help with the change.

Others have feelings too.