Secondhand Life - Part 37

Printer-friendly version

I was in the lobby of the spa 'waiting for my ride'.

In truth, my ride was discreetly nearby, waiting for ME. And I was waiting for Matt. I had given him the address and he had assured me that he would be here shortly.

While I was thumbing through an old issue of Conde Nast Traveler, my phone chirped.

It was Matt. He was outside. Apparently once he saw that the address I had given him was a beauty spa, he decided that he could not step inside. I shook my head and chuckled at the thought. I texted for our car and then texted Matt.

B rite out. 1 errand 1st – K?

The 'errand' was Bianca. She was still really out of it and the staff at the salon were extremely uneasy about 'releasing her into the wild'. She said she hadn't driven, but they checked her jacket pockets and purse for car keys anyway. Once it was clear that she wouldn't be driving impaired, they asked her how she intended to get home. She didn't seem to have a plan. Or a care. She kept insisting that she could catch a bus or walk. The staff was determined that THAT was not going to happen.

So, feeling rather responsible for her impaired state, I offered to 'deliver the package'.

I got the confirmation that my car had arrived, and I presumed that Matt was still lurking outside like a bashful stalker. MUCH better than stepping inside and being exposed to a spa lobby, I grinned.

When I exited to the street, Bianca draped around me, hanging from my neck like some gaudy human accessory, I was surprised to find a grinning Matt Cutler teetering precariously on crutches.

I was about to ask him what the hell happened when Bianca chose that moment to come out of her fog.

Somewhat.

“I know you!” she shout/mumbled, and thrust a pointed arm at Matt. Regrettably, it was the arm that had been hooked around my neck, discreetly holding her up. She began to slide down me toward the ground and I had to swoop to recapture her and steady her against my frame.

Matt just grinned. I had no idea what he found so funny since there were SO many possibilities. I just gave him a small exasperated 'not helping here' scowl and tried to keep Bianca propped up. I got the feeling that Matt was relieved to find me too preoccupied to grill him about the crutches.

But I'm patient, and always knew that in time I would.

Emile the driver quickly came around and got the door. Normally I wasn't big on protocol, but this was really helpful since I was encumbered by my 'human scarf' and my companion seemed barely able to keep himself upright.

I poured Bianca into the back, struggling to keep her flaccid frame in an upright position.

“There you go love.... now just slide over to the other side hon....”

She shot me a vaguely distressed look and made a primal sort of croaking sound while I tried to gently guide her across the bench seat of the town car without getting TOO 'handsy'. It was like trying to push a string. Finally she was safely nestled in the far corner. I turned back to Emile.

“Does this car have child-proof locks? I'd hate for her to slide out as we round a corner.”

I said it in Katherine's deadpan, and realized it was both a joke and a serious concern. He just grinned and nodded.

I then turned to the precarious mister Cutler.

“Do you require special assistance too or can you manage?” I asked with just the slightest head tilt.

He shook his head. “I'm getting the hang of this.” And he gingerly made his way to the door, placed his right arm on the roof, jettisoned his crutches in my direction, which I lunged to catch, and swung in with a 'plop' next to Bianca. Saying “Thanks!” as I swooped in to snag his toppling crutches.

I waved Emile back to his door while I made a deliberately showy 'THIS is how it's done' graceful entrance to my seat, pulling my door closed in one elegant gesture, then turning to mock glare at my two seatmates.

I looked at Matt and nodded toward Bianca. He just looked back blankly. I noticed Emile eyeing us through his rear view mirror. I sighed dramatically, muttered “grace be damned” - and leaned across Matt to fish under Bianca's bottom and find her seatbelt, which I finally managed to attach, although it felt like buckling in a large rag doll. As I lifted myself from across Matt's midsection, I caught him grinning down at me.

“Are you enjoying this?” I asked with quiet sarcasm as I buckled myself in. He merely nodded, grin still plastered across his face.

“Well, I guess that makes one for, one against, and one....” I glanced at Bianca, “...not present.”

Matt let out a little snort, and Emile turned to us. “Where to?”

I surveyed my seatmates.... held for a beat, and turned back to him. “I suppose rollerblading on Venice Beach is out. Let's just get this one home” and I cocked a thumb toward Bianca.

It was not a terribly long ride, and I tried to question Matt on his apparent injury, but Bianca didn't make it easy.

“I DO know you!” she leaned in awkwardly close to glare at Matt “....don't I?”

Matt and I rolled eyes at each other.

“You're one of those guys!” she was getting adamant, insistently poking Matt's chest with her finger.

He gave me a pained look, which I took as 'a little help here?'.

“What guys would those be sweetie?” I asked her.

She leaned forward... actually more folded forward and caught herself, bending her arms like a kickstand to prop her torso at an angle. She peered across Matt and looked ..more or less.. at me.

“You wouldn't know. MY guys....” then she twisted to look up at him. “You're one 'a my Blue Balls guys!!!”

Matt went bright crimson and shot me a panicked look. I just patted his knee and said calmly “She thinks you're one of the extras from her movie 'Blue Balls' ….the game sequence they were filming at your school?”

I saw the relief on his face as he finally got it.

“No honey. He's not in your movie. But he WAS at the game. He was one of the ones who came later. After the game.”

“After YOU crashed!” she pointed a finger at me. There was accusation, but I sensed no malice. Actually I was sensing little from Bianca beyond mild disorientation.

She turned back to Matt. “Well, you should be in my NEXT movie. You're kinda hot....” she then craned over the mortified Matt and looked up at me. “Am I right Katie?”

To my great relief, it was then that Emile called out “We're here.” as he made the turn into her driveway.

We were idling by the front door for a suspiciously long time. If it hadn't been a black town car, I imagine someone would have called the cops. All the while, we were inside trying to sort out the logistics. I was leaning over the amused Matt, who was being NO help whatsoever, trying to undo Bianca's lap belt, but she kept squirming which made it near impossible. I began to think she was doing it deliberately, like a petulant child. When I caught her smirk, I was certain.

I growled to myself in exasperation and turned to Emile. It suddenly dawned on me that we were in a private driveway and not a busy street. There was no need to pull everyone through the right side door. “Would you please unlock her door?” I asked as politely as I could. I think he could hear the frustration in my voice and was amused. He nodded and I heard the click. He went for his door, but I shot from mine and darted around the car to catch her as – just as I suspected, she managed to open it and began to spill to the ground.

By this time Emile was standing over us, arms crossed and trying to hide a smile. He looked like Terry Crews posing as Mr Clean. I hid my own smirk as I muttered. “It's fine. I've got her.” and wrapped her back around me for the short walk to her door.

I rang the bell, hoping someone was home. I did NOT want to fish through her purse for her house keys. Although if I did, I suddenly realized, I could see if she had ANY of Dr Dale's muscle relaxants still wadded up in tissue and get rid of them.

I had hoped there would be someone home to answer the bell. I guess I was expecting a housekeeper or gardener or someone.

I had not expected who finally did answer.

Bianca's wife.

She must have eyed us through a peep-hole or security cam, because her face showed no surprise. Only irritation.

“Hi Emily...” I tried to be cheery and failed miserably. Her mouth was beginning to pucker as Bianca's head, which had been slumped on my shoulder shot up.

“Hi honey! Look what I found!” she exclaimed goofily. Emily and I exchanged looks. Any words we would have could wait until we dealt with the immediate issue of the spouse wrapped around my neck.

“I'm surprised to find you home...” I said, groping for conversation.

“I'll bet you ARE.” she glared.

“No. I just mean, I know how hard you work, I didn't expect you to be home at this time of day.”

“Usually I'm not.” she glanced at Bianca then returned her glare to me. “...must be my lucky day.”

I suddenly caught her implication. “Wait wait wait just a MOMENT!” I was beginning to find my own indignation, which I figured was the only thing I had to defend myself in this encounter.

“I just bumped into Bianca at the spa...”

“Some coincidence” Emily snorted.

“No.... s'true....” Bianca muttered. I wasn't so sure I wanted her impaired assistance in this conversation. But she was going to give it whether I wanted it or not. “...member? Katie was the one told me about it'n the first place....”

Emily continued to stare at me like a bug under a magnifying glass. Suddenly it was clear to me what exactly was going through her mind.

“Wait. You think Bianca and I came back here to....” I stared at her with what I hoped came across as disbelief and righteous indignation. “WHY on earth would I ring the damned bell???”

“To make sure no one else was home.” She replied icily.

I was taken aback. She just admitted what she had been thinking. I had hoped I was wrong. I was not. I quickly regrouped.

“Well why on earth would I leave my driver idling at the door?” The more I thought about it, the easier her jealous thoughts were to demolish.

“And why the HELL would I do it with another passenger waiting in the back seat???” I had a full head of steam now, and I knew quickly that I had shut her down. But she wasn't entirely finished.

“I just thought you were getting even for that time....” she faltered.

I snorted dismissively. “Please that's ancient history. Long buried.” I really didn't know the sordid details about what happened between Bianca and Katherine so long ago, but between Bianca's ramblings at the spa and Emily's oblique references, I had a general idea. More than I cared to know actually.

Emily looked up at me with a touch of disbelief. “Really?”

I nodded. “Ages ago. ...and in model years? That was like the Triassic period.”

She snorted a laugh. Finally the tension evaporated and we could get back to business.

“Now, where do you want me to put this?” I grinned, pointing my chin to the slumped Bianca.

Emily reached out her arms. “Here, let me....”

I shook my head. “No problem. I can haul her wherever you need. And I'm tall enough that I won't drag her on the floor.” I allowed myself as much of a smile as I thought was permissible for Katherine.

She smiled back and motioned for me to follow her up the stairs where we poured Bianca onto the bed.

“I'll be right back to help you hon.” Emily called over her shoulder while Bianca swept her arm loosely.

“Bye Katie!.... Have fun in China.... or ...whatever....”

Emily and I exchanged glances. But there was no longer any hostility.

I put my hand to her forearm as we were coming down the stairs. “I really am sorry about this.”

Emily began to shake her head. I cut her off.

“It really was my fault.... I had some muscle relaxants to ...take the edge off the full waxing. She seemed stressed herself, so I thought I'd share.”

Emily scowled.

“...but I didn't think to tell her to only take one...and not with wine.... I figured she knew.”

Emily shot me a disapproving look. “Not everyone is as ….experienced... as you.”

I blushed. Katherine really did have a reputation. “I swear it was an accident. I never intended...”

She turned to me “Next thing you're going to tell me driving your Porsche into that swimming pool was an accident.” I couldn't read her face. Was she being mean or funny? I made my choice.

“No. It was a really hot night and I was desperate to cool down.” I deadpanned.

That did it. She laughed so hard she nearly fell down the stairs. I had to grab her because her hands were to her face instead of the railing. When she had composed herself, we continued to walk in silence to the front door.

“I truly AM sorry....” I said as I turned to go to the car.

“I know” she said gently and patted my hand.

As I walked back to the car and heard the door shut behind me, I thought 'NOT building bridges... just cleaning up old schrapnel'

***

Emile started the car and we rolled out the driveway.

“Where to, Ms Keller?”

I looked to Matt. He was already looking at me with a smile I couldn't read.

“So, are you really in the mood for just a smoothie?”

He shrugged. “I could eat.”

I smiled and nodded. 20 something college athlete? It had been a rhetorical question. “Any preferences?” He shook his head. “Anything you won't eat?”

He grinned. “Not yet”.

I had a notion. I turned to Emile, who eyed me through the rearview. “Emile.... not to be nosy, but I've heard you talking. You're from around here right?”

“Not born here. But yeah, I grew up here.” he raised an eyebrow. I don't think anyone expected Katherine to remember their name, let alone anything else about them.

“If you had one last meal and you could go anywhere in town... where would you go?”

He eyed me for the longest time. I knew he was thinking about it. I also knew he was puzzled and maybe conflicted about how to answer. I gave him a few minutes. When his brow relaxed, I knew he had arrived at his answer, but he still remained silent.

“So.... do you have a suggestion?” I drummed my fingers loudly enough for him to hear it. I hope from my tone of voice he could tell I was amused and not angry.

He hesitated. I had never seen Emile display uncertainty. Part of his powerful presence was his radiating quiet confidence. That's why he was such a great driver/bodyguard. He rarely had to do anything than just stand there looking like the force you wouldn't want to mess with. I actually found his awkwardness kind of endearing.

“Uhhh the question you asked.... exactly …. was uh... if I had one last meal and could go anywhere in town....”

I nodded. “Precisely. You're an excellent witness.” I smiled.

He fidgeted. I knew that was another requirement of his job if something ever did occur, but he seemed surprised that Katherine actually noticed that.

“So. Last meal. ….oh, I don't mean like death row or anything.” I laughed trying to lighten the mood. “I just mean... if the word came that you'd be leaving town... say for the other side of the world... and you didn't know when...” I tried to hide my small swallow “...or IF... you'd be back.”

He began turning to face me.

Drive!” I barked. Not that I thought he would really endanger us. I just didn't want to return his gaze. I tried to put a light, airy tone in my voice, hoping it didn't sound too forced.

“I just mean... lots of air miles... lots of countries. Anything could happen. One could get an offer too good to refuse from a Macao Casino Tycoon... or... I heard of this one crazy dictator who routinely kidnapped foreign starlets to his fortress country.....”

Matt interrupted. “Actually, that was his DAD... and those were just crazy rumours... do you actually read those trashy tabloids?” he smirked.

“Only to find out what I'm really up to....” I smiled and put a finger to his lips. I did not want to get distracted. I leaned forward and addressed Emile again.

“So. Last meal. LA. You grew up here. You know this town. And YES... where YOU would go... not some trendy buzz factory where 'Katherine Keller – registered trademark'...” I used air quotes and a stilted voice, which made him laugh. “...would go. Good food. Good people. Good memories.”

He nodded. I knew he had something in mind. I think my little speech made him less shy about sharing it.

“You're serious.” It wasn't a question. It was a statement awaiting confirmation.

I nodded, smiling brightly yet speaking sternly. “...as a court summons.”

“OK...” he shrugged and took the next exit off the freeway, heading us down to the city streets.

up
330 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Should be real interesting

Should be real interesting where in LA Emile will take them. I'm also wondering if she will further surprise Emile and have them join the two of them in the particular food establishment? Somehow, I get the feeling that LC is going to seal Katherine's fate and start making her a "good girl" rather than a known "bad girl" and stuck up bitch.

Yes and no

I figure it would just be rude to ask for a suggestion and then make the one who gave it ...wait in the car. :-)

I'm still polishing it, but I hope it will flesh out a few more characters (they all have backstories in my mind) and maybe give a little more depth to Elsie's knack of drawing people out - while still barricading space for Katherine to step back in and resume ....being Katherine.

While Elsie may open possible avenues for Katherine to explore and grow, I'm struggling mightily - as is our protagonist - to not leave her a life and situations she cannot handle.

I hope Katherine will find a world with more possibilities, but not more requirements.

If I do my job properly, she will. ;-)

K@

More fun please

This has been an enjoyable tale. I hope that you keep on writing.

Gwen

It will no doubt feel very strange for Elsie

As she watches Katherine take back her life, it must feel like for a while that she is watching her doppelganger.

Katherine is constrained. People with her personality type go up against hard limits and just can't evolve beyond that. It is almost like a form of deathness that short of radical brain surgery will never solve.

But in any case, Elsie will get paid, in money. But Katherine will always owe her a Favor imho and that can be a far more valuable thing.

finally caught up.

I almost expected this would be finished by 37 chapters lol. I've enjoyed the story to this point, I give it a 4 out 5, the 4 only because the story is a little on the dry side, but the humor makes up for it.

Actually...

TheCropredyKid's picture

...two South Korean movie people (a director and his actress wife) WERE kidnapped to the PDRK on Kim Jong Il's orders and were there for years making movies...:

"The Lovers and the Despot" tells the story of how the tapes were smuggled out of the country by two South Koreans, director Shin Sang-ok and his wife, the actor Choi Eun-hee, who were kidnapped by Kim in 1978 in an attempt to bolster the film industry.

{from The Guardian}

 
 
 
x