Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2804

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2804
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

When I got to bed Simon was already there and fast asleep, so my chance to talk to him on the girl’s behalf was limited, no make that impossible. I did think about trying to tell him while he was asleep but if it worked it could be seen as almost like trying to plant post hypnotic suggestions and i don’t want him to do what I tell him—well yes I do actually, but I want him to look at their business plan and make sure it’s viable and then lend them the money at a good rate. Instead I read some more of Elly Griffiths before falling asleep, book still clutched in my hands. However, I dropped it, lost my place and woke myself up.

It wasn’t cold, which was about all you could say for the dreary weather, which seemed to take every opportunity to rain or blow a gale. I also decided I wanted the lounge redecorated before Christmas. I’d ring Maureen tomorrow see if she could recommend someone.

I groaned, how could morning come round so quickly, plus someone was going to show me some massive secret of the universe instead I was awoken by screams or at least yells of pain followed by a crash and groans. I’d felt movement on the bed so I knew it involved Simon. Why couldn’t he let them kill him quietly?

I sat up and he was nowhere to be seen but the groans were getting louder. When I leant across the bed he was lying half under it. “What happened?” I was pleased with myself because I hadn’t asked him if he was all right.

“I got cramp and jumped out of bed—my leg just folded underneath me.”

I clambered out of the bed and went round to him, “Anywhere hurting?”

“Yes all of me, so don’t go making it worse.”

“Simon, it is six o’clock on a Sunday morning and I have been roused from my slumbers an hour before I was expecting to, so if I were you I’d think bear and sore head before you answer my next question. Is anywhere hurting to stop you getting up, with help from me, natch?”

“My leg’s sore but I don’t think it’s broken.”

I could arrange to correct that, I thought but said, “Right, let’s get you out from under the bed unless you’re going to clean up the fluff while you’re down there.”

“Very funny, here I am at death’s door and you’re making jokes.”

“I can go and select some sombre music if you want but we’re still going to have to get you up off the floor, or I could just throw you a blanket and go back to bed. It’s your call.”

“Don’t be ridiculous, woman.”

I yawned, it looked as if it might be one of those days—why do they always start so bloody early? “Me ridiculous, I’m not the one lying under the bed because he was a little potty.”

“That’s right, mock me with silly schoolgirl jokes.”

“Well if I told you one more sophisticated you might not get it.”

“You cheeky cow.”

“Okay, a photon checked into a hotel, asked if he had any luggage he said, ‘No I’m travelling light.’”

“That’s a joke?”

“Yeah, and I thought you were good at physics.”

“I was, c’mon help me up.”

“A decision at last.” We struggled with him groaning and me huffing and puffing, he is heavy—he’s my hubby, not my brother. After two very long minutes he was lying on the bed breathing heavily and grumbling.

“Oh hell,” he said.

“What’s the matter?” I wondered if we’d left a leg or something lying on the floor but I had a vague recollection of counting them—still, he’s the mathematician.

“I need a bloody pee.”

“C’mon, I’ll help you.” Several minutes of struggle and he got to the bathroom where I left him to micturate in peace, threating to break his good leg if he so much as got a drip on the floor or the seat. When I went back he was sitting on the loo with his pants down round his ankles—he’d thought he’d better sit to do it. Well I, and thirty million females do it like that every day in this country.

I got him back to bed, anyone would think he’d fallen down stairs not out of bed. After this it was down to make some tea in the hope that the cup that cheers might stop me making myself a widow. As the kettle was boiling Tom came into the kitchen.

“Whit are ye daein’ up this time?”

“Simon fell out of bed and by the time I’d helped him up I was wide awake and I need to boost my tea levels.”

“When they did yer op, whit blood group were ye?”

“Twinings, why?”

“I thocht it mebbe Typhoo.”

He can talk, his is Laphroaig.

He made himself some coffee as the kettle boiled and I did a cup for Simon with tea for me. “That paper wis like auld times.” He beamed at me and I knew he was as likely to tell me how bad I was before as how good I am now.

“That bad, eh?” I answered putting milk in my tea.

“Och, of course not ye scunner, it wis guid.”

At least I’d got a positive response by opting to go for the negative one. “Glad you liked it."

"Ye need tae publish more.”

“Okay, I’ll resign and write papers instead.”

“Ye’ve got some guid research underway, why not publish some o’ it?”

“I’m just the supervisor, remember and I have four research projects to keep my beady eye on. Besides, our students have little idea of deadlines, so they just over run.”

“Aye, ye’re tae saft on them.”

“So you keep telling me, we’re also waiting for some results from Brighton on the DNA. You of all people should know how slow molecular biology is.”

“Aye, I ken fine weel.” He slurped his coffee, “Yer no expectin’ anythin’ unusual are ye?”

“No it would be unexpected but until we have the results, I can’t speculate—as someone keeps telling me, it makes poor science, or actually, puir science.”

“Aye, well jest ye remember it an’ we’ll mak a scientist o’ ye yet.”

“Don’t I have to be a crabby auld git, first?”

“Och ye scunner...”

“Talking of which I’d better take this coffee up to his lordship before it goes cold.” I excused myself and clambered up the stairs trying not to spill the hot fluids. I handed him his coffee.

“Wot, no biccies?”

It was only the thought of stripping the bed that stopped me pouring it over him. “No,” I said tartly.

“Well the length of time you were down there I thought you were making toast.”

“I was talking to Daddy about the paper I wrote last night and he proofed for me.”

“I could have proofed it for you.”

“If you’d been conscious, possibly.”

“That’s right get on to me cause I had a little drink.”

“You left your car at the rugby club, came home by taxi, which I had to pay, and then tried to get in the dog’s bed.”

“Don’t be silly, I wouldn’t do anything like that.”

“I’ll bet you wouldn’t put your underpants on back to front either.”

“Don’t be ridiculous.”

“Take a look, I’m going for some breakfast.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
244 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Simon Has A Drinking Problem

littlerocksilver's picture

He needs to do something about it. I'm surprised no one commented after 66 kudos. I get those cramps and they hurt like hell. I have to sleep with my legs straight out.

Portia

To me it's been obvious for a while

Sooner or later it will come to a head. It seems however it has already gone to his head. ;-)

Frankly I have never understood the 'fun' of the mildly poisoned induced state so I don't bother to drink myself.

As the old saying goes......

D. Eden's picture

Simon doesn't have a drinking problem......

He gets drunk, falls down, no problem!

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Maybe Cathy ought

to stay downstairs after she has her breakfast , Seems Grumpy is not in the best of moods ... Mind you given the state he came home in it was only to be expected ! At least Simon had the sense to come home by taxi , Sadly there are far too many who ignore the fact that they should not be anywhere near the driving seat of a car and cause the loss of innocent lives , All it takes is a little thinking about your return journey before you go out and lives will be saved...Surely thats not too much to ask ...is it ?

Kirri

Cause and effect

Rhona McCloud's picture

A photon checked into a hotel and asked if he had any luggage he said, "No I’m travelling light."
The receptionist pondered then replied, "No charge then."

Seeing Simon drunk again I consider my family history of alcoholic men and crazy women. That doesn't mean they are disfunctional for they can each blame the other for their own behaviour.

Rhona McCloud

Hmmm.

Angharad's picture

A photon checked into a hotel and asked if he had any luggage he said, "No I’m travelling light."
The receptionist pondered then replied, "No charge then."

Are you positive?

Angharad

Simon still has a drinking probem

And asking a man in the morning, not to pee a drop on the seat or floor, is asking the impossible. I have proof.
Taking Simon to an AA meeting probably wouldn't work.
Thanks Rhona, I knew a line was missing.

Cefin

I seem to remember early in the series

Simon severely damaged his liver trying to commit suicide, and was told not to drink again because of the damage. Of course, Cathy blue lighted him to straighten that out.

I'm a little surprised she didn't blue light him again, but then, maybe he needed to suffer a little to learn.

I don't drink. I don't have anything against drinking, it is just not for me.

Lady C Should Have A Care

Teasing, taunting and criticizing one's mate is all very funny, but as a twice deserted and divorced and now quite solitary and lonely being, I would, if I could, urge Her Ladyship to treat His Lordship with a wee bit more empathy, ere he decides to seek sympathy elsewhere. With his wealth and position there would be no shortage of would-be substitute Lady Camerons hovering around. Joking about is all very funny but Humour has a cruel side as well. I am sure that I am not alone in fearing that they both go too far with the joking about sometimes. I do hope that their wonderful Creator will protect and guide them away from possible future marital strife - alas in Real Life we semi-sentient bipeds have no Author to protect us from our mistakes.

Funny thing is, whenever I have sought to write a story of more than a few pages, my characters quickly managed to develop their own, independent lives, motives and aspirations and I soon lost control over them! Of course. I lack the talent of our beloved Angharad, which is why she writes stories but I can only read them and offer comments.

Thank you, Dear Angharad, for this latest episode.

Briar