The Lyssa Kordenay Missions - Book 42 - Favors, Visions and Dreams

Printer-friendly version

 

FVaD cover.PNG
Book 42 of The Lyssa Kordenay Missions!
  All the missions have wrapped for the
  moment, but all is not so quiet. Help
  comes from the strangest of places.
 

WARNING: The Lyssa Kordenay Missions may be hyper-violent for some readers!

 

 


 

Favors, Visions and Dreams

 
 
 

Chapter 1
Lyssa stood alone on the beach. The night was clear and only a slight breeze stirred as she stood back from the lapping waves rolling in. Occasionally she had to deal with insomnia. Once every couple of weeks for a night or two she simply could not sleep. It started in Special Forces worsened in Delta and was irrevocable after joining the DemonWraiths. After Rodrick dropped off to sleep she would slip on something simple, grab a pair of shoes and go outside.

Currently things were quiet. There were no operations underway, save for the one the Marshals were on, which didn't warrant any other attention than theirs. Maria was enjoying herself teaching the girls ballet, Italian and French. Kasey and Kristine had taken to dance as if they were ducks tossed onto a pond. They were also doing well at their other lessons as well. Shawna was settled into her new home in Maryland. Her alias for the NSA had been burned so new credentials were being issued. That was an anticipated complication. More of an annoyance than anything else, but it had been expected. Just not so soon. Tiffany was still in New York. She would be finishing up there soon and then have a two weeks off before going to Moscow.

Krystel had returned from Tampa exhausted. She was also angry. An operative from the Australian Secret Intelligence Service had infiltrated CyberForce. He hadn't gone in to damage, only to find a problem that directly concerned the Australian Navy. On a frequent basis the Australians coordinated with the American Navy in joint operations. The problem was that some of the operations were classified. Sometimes Australia would provide an insertion platform for SEALs in areas that the American Navy wasn't welcome but had to conduct operations. Sometimes against terror cells, sometimes against modern pirates. The Australians had a reputation for being overly friendly where they went and only a threat to understocked bars and men that didn't pay enough attention to their women. Otherwise they mainly went ignored. Which was good; for the Australians and the Americans. Even the British Navy capitalized on the Australians' reputation with operations conducted by Special Boat Squadron. S.B.S. was the British counterpart to American SEALs.

A verbal warning had been sent to the intelligence service that though this incident would be overlooked any repeats would be dealt with harshly. The operative Matt Connelly was flagged and no longer able to enter CONUS. The Australian service back-channeled a message of apology and promise that in the future they would ask for help through channels. The fact the message was back-channeled didn't go unnoticed. It had been done to keep political figures in the dark and therefore the issue put to rest quickly. Had politicians gotten involved, things would have gotten out of hand and jeapardize relations that had been forged over half a century ago.

All that was far from her mind. Lyssa was more focused on the 'at hand' situations. Thankfully the twins were now sleeping through the night. The problem was the island's newest addition, Melinda Valerie Lando. Mindy was the adoptive daughter of LoneStar and Kimberly. At only ten years old the child had been subjected to more than one of the worst horrors that can be inflicted upon a child. She had been a boy. The only child of a political figure with extremist views and had been kidnapped by extremist terrorists. The father went against procedures and protocols and called the wrong entity to rescue his son. A son that immediately paid the price, emasculation. They brutally emasculated him.

After being rescued the father then tried to deny proper medical treatment in an effort to exploit the savaged child for political advancement, including orchestrating his own wife's death to reclaim the child and restore him to a damaged condition. Thanks to Krystel and Kimberly the deception went nowhere. Dannigan had been making more sneak attacks at him. The Congressman was now in disgrace and had fled his district after vacating office. The latest word was that he had fled to Montana and was isolating himself. Dannigan would insure any effort the man made to reach out to anyone would be met with hostility. Kimberly had already determined that he was purchasing liquor in ever increasing amounts. It wasn't time to visit him. Yet.

Mindy was the concern. The child had not wanted nor been inclined to be female. It was inflicted violently. Now she struggled with Post-Traumatic Stress. Lyssa knew about stress, but it was Battle Stress. It was different from the version civilians acquired. Just recently Mindy made the rounds of asking everyone if they suffered nightmares like she and LoneStar did. Everyone except her. Lyssa had also been informed that the child now feared her. Mindy had inadvertently walked in on evaluations of both Shawna and Tiffany. It was the hand-to-hand eval that disturbed the new girl most. She had seen Tiffany and Shawna both engage Lyssa. Both engaged her but neither were able to bring her down. What was unnerving to the other two girls was the eerie silence in which they all fought. As if to utter a sound was tantamount to defeat.

Lyssa had walked along the beach until she reached the stretch facing the end of the runway. She turned and noticed a light on in the main hangar. To her knowledge no one should be up this late. She walked up to the concrete and slipped the plain pumps on then went to the hangar. Carefully she opened the personnel door then walked up to the office. The door was open, which it wasn't supposed to be. Lyssa looked in and was surprised. She had expected one or both of the teens but instead she saw Mindy sitting at Kimberly's desk. On the computer monitor was a video playing. She stepped in silently and could see that the ten year old was watching the video of a killhouse training session. The child was watching in a mixture of both horror and fascination.

 

~o~O~o~

 

Mindy had seen the strange folder icon on the desktop earlier in the day. Her curiosity had gotten the better of her so after bedtime she sneaked out and went to see what it was. Within seconds of the video start she wanted to shut it off but couldn't. In front of her on the screen she watched her aunts and uncle move through a building shooting targets that looked like people. The targets stood still, appeared in windows and doors. The dog Warlock would attack some or a real man in a special suit. Suddenly Mindy felt as if she were being stared at. She remembered something her aunts had said once; 'If you feel it; its probably true and already too late.'

Mindy looked down at the keyboard, "I'm screwed."

"I'll be having a word with you uncles about watching their language around you as well," Lyssa said.

Mindy spun around in shock. She'd expected her adoptive mother, but had been caught by Lyssa.

For a few moments they looked at each other. Mindy in stunned silence and Lyssa patiently biding her time waiting for the girl to speak.

'Will she yell at me? Spank me? Send me away,' Mindy wondered to herself.

"Apparently you found something other than online cartoons," Lyssa said then walked forward, "the problem with curiosity is that once you find answers; you sometimes regret the questions."

"I couldn't help it. I wanted to stop watching but I couldn't," Mindy said.

Lyssa nodded then reached behind her to type then turned her back around to face the screen. The screen had sectioned into five. Lyssa pressed another button and video started playing. It had sound too. Mindy watched her own rescue. More than anything she heard the anger in their voices at what Mindy had suffered. When it ended Lyssa reached over and turned it off then nudged her up and guided her out. They walked down to the beach, took off their shoes and began walking just back from the water. They walked for a while then finally stopped and looked out to sea.

Mindy finally found her voice after a few minutes, "Why?"

"Why did they do it," Lyssa asked, "or why did they do it to you?"

"Both," Mindy replied.

Lyssa was quiet for a few moments then answered, "you were chosen because of who you were. You were the only son of a congressman that they thought had the authority to give them what they wanted. He never would have though, but they didn't understand that. Robert Brice loved power more than anything else. If he saw or heard something that would grant him more of that power, he would seize it. That's why he never made deals, he refused to bargain or share."

"Oh," Mindy said.

"They hurt you because to them its the worst possible thing to do. To take away that which makes a man a man condemns that man to Hell for them. When they die their body must be intact in order to go to their Heaven," Lyssa explained.

Mindy thought for moment then asked, "aren't they the kind that blow themselves up too?"

Lyssa laughed, "yes. They're lied to. Their leader lies to them that the rule doesn't apply if they die killing people that don't believe in their god. The leaders would never do that themselves because they know its a lie. That goes back to the question of why did they do what they did. Religion, brotherhood, family devotion. Melinda we can look for reasons from this moment until Hell has frozen over. We'd find those answers too but it wouldn't matter."

"It wouldn't," Mindy asked confused.

Lyssa shook her head, "not in the slightest. They did that because they were evil men. That's the only reason that would matter. They have their idea about God. Some of them are crazy and believe that people who don't believe like they do should be killed. Anything they do in their god's name is acceptable in their minds. Religion is a dangerous thing Melinda. It can drive sane people crazy. Any wrong they do is acceptable as long as they do it for their god."

"The ones that did this to me weren't killed. Why Aunt Lyssa? You kill people. Don't you? Bad people? Why didn't you kill all of them," Mindy asked.

Lyssa sighed, "an example had to be made. They don't fear being killed. They fear failing and everyone knowing that they failed. If your father hadn't made a media spectacle of the whole thing they would have eventually been brought here to be killed. Instead everything went public. I'm sorry Melinda, Jail cell justice is all you get. The last one was murdered today by other inmates. Prisoners are a strange bunch. They murder and rape, deal drugs to children no older than you and will steal anything they can get away with. One thing that's taboo is to intentionally harm a child. To rape or murder one is taboo to them, not allowed. To do what happened to you is even worse. I'll tell you the truth; they tore him to shreds. over fifty of them. We received the report today."

Mindy shivered as she pictured that in her mind.

Finally Mindy asked, "can you make Daddy's nightmares go away?"

"No," Lyssa said sadly.

Mindy's jaw dropped. From how everyone talked, they thought she could do anything yet here was her imposing aunt admitting that there was something she couldn't do.

Lyssa turned and knelt down to be at Mindy's level, "people that have been hurt so badly that their body is damaged have it harder than anybody else. They see that damage and are reminded of how it happened. When he looks in the mirror he remembers how he got that way. There's more to it but I don't know the whole story. I don't know because he hasn't told me, that's his business. He tells who he tells. If he doesn't tell me himself, I'm not supposed to know."

"The compartment thing," Mindy said.

Lyssa chuckled, "yeah. Compartmentalizing. For him its personal. One day you'll leave this island. What you tell people you meet about yourself will be your business. To an extent."

Mindy nodded, "I can't tell that I used to be a boy, who I was as a boy and that I'm adopted. I can't tell what really happens out here either."

"Right," Lyssa said, "Maria and the girls weren't told about you but they figured it out."

"Will my nightmares ever go away," Mindy asked.

Lyssa tilted her head, "that's a good question. I'm not sure but maybe. To be more realistic, their effect on you may get smaller. That's not going to happen on its own though."

Mindy looked confused again, "It won't? Can you make it happen?"

Lyssa shook her head, "no Melinda, I can't. Only you can. You have to chose to fight it. Just talking about it isn't enough. There's no pill to take for it either. The only thing you can do is fight. This is a fighting that I can't teach you. You'll have to figure out how yourself. Sometimes you have to figure things out on your own. This is one of them."

Mindy asked, "OJT?"

Lyssa stood up and laughed, "yeah. On Job Training."

Mindy yawned. She tried not to but couldn't resist.

Lyssa nodded to the side, "bed little girl. March."

Mindy looked and saw they had been standing in front the cottage the whole time they had been talking.

"Yes Ma'am," Mindy said then stopped, "Aunt Lyssa. I'm afraid of you."

Lyssa bent down again, "Mindy. You've never had a reason to be afraid. I'd never hurt you. I am a little disappointed that you went into computer files that you weren't supposed to, but I think we've covered that now and you won't do it again."

"Will I work for who you work for? Who's the Major? Will I ever see Mr. Paul again," Mindy asked.

Lyssa shrugged, "you will be whatever you want to be. You don't have to do what we do. The Major and Mr. Paul are the same person, and yes he'll come down here some time. He asks about you often. Never forget that we all love you Mindy. We do because we can. Just like we protect you. We do because we can."

Mindy understood now. She was under the care of people that would never let anyone hurt her again. They would all fight. A team that would never quit, led by an aunt who would never lose. Her father taught them how to fly. Her mother made them all disappear. Uncle Rodrick showed them water was a place to fight and win. Aunt Lyssa led them into the battles and brought them all home after it was over. She went back to her bed and laid down with only one question left. Who could teach her how to fight in dreams?

 

~o~O~o~

 

Sam Redcloud was pissed. Once again the witness had been found. Another safehouse compromised. Too many people knew the locations to start with. There had to be a mole to tell which ones were being used though. Someone from either his office or one of the cops assigned to the protective detail. It couldn't be any of the four currently assigned. The hit team that went in had done so with the intent to kill everyone. It was by pure chance that one of the officers had seen them coming and led them all out. Another team hadn't been so lucky the day before with a different witness. They had all been killed in a hail of gunfire. The Crime scene unit reported that the weapons had been assault rifles both times.

The witness that was being targeted was for the case against the Caldera brothers. A local syndicate that had started out small; prostitution, narcotics sales, dog fighting and theft. Now they were high level in the area and had added extortion, police corruption, weapons, narcotics and human trafficking to their names. She was an eighteen year old freshman at University of New Mexico from Indianna. Had she been local she'd have never come forward about the kidnapping and rape. They had targeted her for trafficking. She had been lucky and in a moment of distraction escaped. Unlucky for her she had been raped by Benecio Caldera, the younger brother. She had pressed charges and was now the only witness for the case. Word went out immediately that a contract had been put out on her.

Sam needed to find something else. Some place that nobody knew about to use. He stared at his desk thinking and then it hit him. He had dated a woman that was a realtor for a while shortly after coming to Albuquerque. She had mentioned renting out houses and apartments when celebrities came to town. He would call her in the morning. For now the officers were driving aimlessly around the outskirts of the city. They would do that until he found them a new place in the morning.

 

~o~O~o~

 

Thomas Daymoon's vision ended and he stopped his chant. He was now more confused than ever. He had never had two visions before. The same vision repeatedly yes, but never two different. Both had two totems that were the same. He knew who those totems were. He would have to take a long journey to meet them. He got up, put on his shirt and boots and started walking. The Tribal President would know how to find them. Two miles later he was knocking on the door.

 



 

Chapter 2

It was late afternoon when the Hangar's phone rang.

Kimberly reached over and picked it up, "Ram Air Charters."

A moment later she ran to the door and called for Lyssa and Rodrick. Both came up and Lyssa took the phone.

"This is Lyssa," she said.

The voice replied, "How Kimimela."

Lyssa was surprised, "How Thomas. This is a surprise, but its nice to hear from you."

"I am no longer curious about the airplanes now Kimimela. It was a long journey to your Bahamas," Thomas Daymoon said.

Lyssa snapped her fingers to get Rodrick's attention again, "you're at the airport in Nassau? Rodrick will come get you. Ask someone to show you the private terminal and you'll see him in an hour."

Thomas replied, "the private terminal? I will go there now and see Wambli-Mni soon then."

Lyssa disconnected and looked at Rodrick, "he must be desperate."

Rodrick nodded, "yeah but what could make a dirt poor old medicine man get on a plane and come all the way here?"

"No idea. We'll find out when you bring him back," Lyssa said.

"No sweat. I like that old man. He's cool," Rodrick said and grabbed the clipboard for the Bell helicopter.

Two hours later Thomas Daymoon followed Rodrick into the sitting area on the ground floor of the hangar.

"Welcome Thomas," Lyssa greeted him with a smile.

Thomas gave her a half smile back, "How Kimimela. I am no longer curious about the helicopters. I think the airplanes are better to ride in."

Everyone chuckled as did he.

"You have many friends here. I am glad of this. When last I saw you, it was like looking across a canyon. Now I feel like I am truly standing in front of you. This is good. I have come to you to ask for help. The need is great. And small. I am very confused," Thomas said.

"If we can help, we will Thomas," Lyssa said and gestured to the couch for him to sit.

He shook his head, preferring to stand.

"I saw a Cloud take the shape of man. The cloud was red. Red Cloud Man stood in a village in the desert. Coyotes surrounded Red Cloud Man. They snapped and jumped at him. Their paws left behind white prints that blew away with the wind. Red Cloud Man is protecting Rabbit. Coyotes will kill Red Cloud Man and Rabbit. They are hunting Rabbit. Rabbit knows Coyotes' secrets and will tell Man Who Sits High. Rabbit must tell Man Who Sits High the secrets. Butterfly and Eagle from Water fight Coyote. That is my first vision," Thomas said.

"I can understand why you'd be confused," Pete remarked.

Thomas nodded, "yes. Some of it already makes sense. Red Cloud Man would be Samuel RedCloud. He left the tribe to go learn your laws. He is somewhere south now."

"Krystel," Lyssa said.

Krystel was already on her laptop, "searching. Samuel RedCloud. Assistant District Attorney for Albuquerque New Mexico. Grew up on the reservation and left for Texas A and M. Graduated Suma Cum Laude. Criminal Law. He's licensed to practice in Texas, South Dakota and New Mexico. He also serves as additional legal counsel to the tribe. Good record. High conviction rate. VERY thorough in case prep. Current outstanding: charges against one Benecio Caldera; kidnapping and rape. Um. There's an addendum. The case is cross-referenced with open cases. Murders, trafficking."

"That's the surface. Dig deeper," Kimberly said.

Krystel nodded, "yes Ma'am. DEA has them too. Ut-oh. They believe the Caldera brothers are in with a cartel out of Mexico. Possibly the Mendoza cartel."

"That's a heavyweight name," Rodrick remarked.

Lyssa spoke up, "so the vision is Samuel RedCloud is protecting a witness against these Caldera brothers and they're trying to kill said witness and RedCloud as well. Your vision makes sense now."

"Yes. You have found the truth of my first vision. I was right to come to you," Daymoon said.

"First vision? You've had two? I thought one couldn't have a second vision until the first has come to pass," Lyssa asked.

Thomas chuckled, "you are well learned Kimimela. But if there is connection between the two visions then a second will be seen."

"What's the second vision," Kimberly asked.

"It is the most confusing. Fawn is injured and fearful. Fawn suffers torment in and out of DreamWorld. Fawn is guarded by many totems. Eagle From Water, Butterfly, Dove, Moth, Firefly, a Dark Star, Music of Pipe and a creature I don't know. It swims around and around protecting. I have never seen this creature. It swims and jumps high out of water. All these totems protect Fawn. Fawn does not go into the Canyon Of Peace in DreamWorld. Coyotes chase Fawn and drag Fawn away. If Fawn does not enter the Canyon Of Peace Fawn will darken and become Spider. That is my second vision," Thomas stated.

Krystel spoke up, "Sir. The swimming creature. Does it look like this?"

Thomas looked to a picture on her laptop.

The old man looked and nodded, "that is the one I have seen."

"Dolphin," Krystel said.

LoneStar asked, "what kind of person has a fawn as a totem?"

"A child. Children are Fawns until their totem chooses them unless their medicine is very strong when they are given by the Great Spirit. I feel strong medicine here," Thomas said.

"Here? The island," Kimberly asked.

Thomas Daymoon stared at her, "in this room."

"I'll help with your problem," Lyssa said.

Rodrick shook his head, "ut-uh. WE'LL help."

"WE then. Mr. Daymoon please be our guest here for a while," Lyssa said.

Thomas nodded, "I would like to see this ocean I have been told about. My thanks Kimimela."

"Outside and any direction. Wander as you like," Rodrick said.

Thomas Daymoon nodded, "thank you Wambli-Mni."

They watched him go outside.

Lyssa looked over to Kimberly, "send the Major a packet. Tell him its a favor repayment."

"I'm on it," Kimberly said and went up to the office.

Lyssa and Rodrick went to their house to collect what they needed.

 

~o~O~o~

 

Mindy was walking along the water. She could do that alone just not go in without an adult. She spend time on the beach while Kasey and Kristine were having ballet lessons. Mindy was looking for a new shell as she had taken to collecting them. She stopped short when she saw an old man standing on the beach looking out at the water.

"Hello," Mindy said cautiously.

Strangers were unusual. The adults usually told her if something important was happening. Mindy glanced to the side. Uncle Carl had taught her how to tell if there was a riptide and it could be used to get out into deep water fast. There was also an undertow too. If she held her breath it would pull her down and out away from the beach and then she could swim further down to Aunt Lyssa and Uncle Rodrick's house.

The man looked over and smiled, "How little one. I have heard many stories of the ocean but I've never seen it before. It is a powerful thing. I can feel it very strongly."

Mindy tilted her head, "you've never seen the ocean before? Not even on tv?"

He shook his head, "I do not have one."

Mindy had stepped closer to the water and it now swirled around her feet. She felt something bump and looked down. She reached down and picked it up.

"What is that you have," The old man asked.

Mindy held it up, "its an oyster. They stick themselves to rocks. They eat little bits of stuff that float in the water. Its odd to find one like this."

The man smiled, "not very good looking is it?"

Mindy laughed, "no. You can eat them if you open them up. You have to force the shell open to get to the part you can eat. There's a trick to it."

Mindy looked around and found a common shell. She broke the shell and pressed the sharp end into a spot.

Thomas watched, "it looks difficult."

Mindy nodded then smiled as the point gave and the shell opened. She pulled it the rest of the way open and showed him.

"It must be very good if it looks like that," Thomas chuckled.

Mindy giggled, "they do look bad. Momma and me like them fried, everybody else will eat them like this. I think they're yucky like this."

Mindy was looking and saw something odd. She poked at it and a pearl slid into view. She picked it out and held it up.

"WOW! Its a pink pearl," Mindy said.

Thomas bent down and looked, "do all have them?"

Mindy shook her head, "NO SIR! Its really hard to find one like this. Stuff gets inside the oyster. Like sand. and the oyster doesn't like it, it hurts. So the oyster makes stuff to go around it. Years and years go by. and that's how a pearl is made. Most of the time the pearl is white but every now and then something happens and the pearl can be black, grey or even pink."

"That's very interesting. So a pearl is a gift. A treasure from the ocean," Thomas mused.

Mindy looked at it, "yeah. That's right. Most pearls are harvested. People have to go get them."

Thomas looked thoughtful, "but that one came to you. You are supposed to have it. I have learned new things. Thank you little one."

Mindy watched as he turned to the water and sang words she didn't know.

He looked down when he finished, "that was a song of thanks. The big water has shown me its kindness and you have shared your knowledge. It is always wise to show worthiness after you have been gifted."

Mindy thought about that and saw the sense in it

She turned to the open water and said, "thank you for the pretty pearl. I'll take good care of it."

Thomas nodded in approval, "this is good. The Great Spirit is pleased with this."

"Are you an Indian chief," Mindy asked.

He shook his head, "just an old man keeping to the ways of his people little one. This is quite a journey. I am learning things. Stories I can share with my people back home."

Mindy thought about that then remembered her manners, "I'm Mindy."

"I am Daymoon. When the Great Spirit said I should come into the world the Moon loved the Sun. The white men said long ago we should have two names like they do. I was given Thomas. Thomas Daymoon," Thomas told her.

Mindy looked around, "you should take some shells. You can show them when you go home and tell stories."

"That is wise," Thomas nodded as they began to walk along.

Mindy started sharing what she had been told about the ocean and the things in it she had learned from her uncles. In the distance the GulfStream took off.

 

~o~O~o~

 

Benecio slammed the phone down in anger.

"Bad news," Luis Caldera asked.

The sarcasm didn't go unnoticed.

"The Indian bastard has hidden that bitch. Our man in the police doesn't know where this time," Benecio snarled.

Luis sighed, "double the price."

"WHY? Its much easier to force one of them to tell us or bring her to us," Benecio Caldera said.

Luis shook his head, "fool. I've told you before, I'll say it again. It is far better to pay people than to force them. Money makes them agreeable. Forcing them making enemies that will one day come back. Dollars will always be more effective than bullets. Why do you refuse to understand that?"

"Its less money for US stupido! You would give away all OUR money," Benecio almost shouted.

"No. I would BUY important things. People that will give us information we need or services we can not perform ourselves. I told you; hire the best and pay them what they want. Every time a person is killed, their friends and family become our enemy. We will eventually be surrounded with no one turn to and nowhere to run. That is stupid. If you pay people what they want then they have no reason to go against us. That is business. We are businessmen, not simple street thugs anymore. Do as I say. Double the offer to fifty thousand for the girl," Luis said and walked out of the living room.

He went upstairs to his private study and poured a drink. After a sip he took out his cellphone and dialed a number.

"Hello. I've been thinking we should go on vacation. Somewhere tropical. Costa Rica springs to mind. Pack for a two week stay. I'll pick you up in the morning around seven-thirty," Luis said in a seductive voice then disconnected.

He then reached into the hidden compartment of a desk drawer and brought out another phone and turned it on. When it had service he dialed a number. It was answered on the third ring.

"Hello James. doing well I hope? Good good. I'm wanting to take a vacation, is your plane available? Excellent! Oh, no. No Benecio will not be coming along. Just myself and Alan," he said then laughed, "yes a romantic getaway for two. Costa Rica. Very good. We'll see you first thing in the morning. About eight. See you then."

Luis disconnected then turned the burn phone off and hid it back in the desk. He would leave early in the morning. Benecio and the bulk of the men would sleep at least until noon. Not that any of them would see him leave. No one had ever really looked at the plans for the house so only he and the builder really knew about the staircase behind the second bookcase in his study. It led down through the basement to a tunnel that went to a closed sewer. There was an opening half a mile away to get into a storage building he rented. Inside was a mercedes with two suitcases in the trunk. In one of the suitcases he had been hiding Bearer Bonds. So far he had five million dollars in Bonds. If he emptied the safe he would be walking away with a total of seventeen million in Bonds and over three hundred thousand in cash.

Luis knew Benecio had a safe in his room. He also knew the contents. A hundred thousand in cash, seven hundred thousand in Bonds and two kilos of cocaine. Uncut cocaine. Benecio also kept a pistol in the safe along with videos of women he had personally broken for trafficking. Luis hadn't been surprised that his younger brother used the numbered streets that bordered their original territory as the combination to the safe. No other numbers held any sentiment to him.

A few odds and ends went into a briefcase and he set it on the corner of the desk. Yes, it was definitely time to go on a permanent vacation before the police came. He had a feeling that when they did come for Benecio, he would try to fight them off. Luis was no fool, he knew that Benecio never put aside the street mentality. That kind of thinking was a direct route to prison or the grave. Neither of which appealed to him. Better to slip away before they could claim him. Luis hated to admit his younger brother was a lost cause, but there was nothing more he could do. Benecio was spending more time using their products than marketing them. He was envisioning himself as the movie character Tony Montana and forgetting how the movie ended, with Montana dead in a brutal shootout. Luis had no intention of resembling any of the other characters in the film.

 



 

chapter 3

Lyssa and Rodrick had flown into Albuquerque early that morning. Their flight plan had been to show they had come from Los Angeles heading east. They're actual path had been to Mexico up to LAX then over to Albuquerque. The pretense was that they stopped in for Rodrick to rest. They would spend the day prepping for the incursion. Kimberly and Krystel had been able to find the house blueprints listed. Among other things. Including the secret car Luis had hidden.

"Get some sleep baby. I'll wake you up after a while," Lyssa said to Rodrick.

Rodrick kissed her and went to bed. Lyssa started going over everything and making her own drawings. The conference window opened on her laptop. It was Kimberly.

"What's up," Lyssa asked.

"One of the brothers has bailed," Kimberly said.

Lyssa shook her head, "shit. Which one?"

"We didn't catch it yesterday but two calls went out from the hardsite. Apparently Luis has a boyfriend. He called him and instructed him to pack for two weeks, said they were going on vacation," Kimberly informed her.

"Means and ETD," Lyssa asked.

Kimberly nodded, "yeah that was the second call. He used a burn phone to call a private pilot. That guy's legit. He filed a flightplan to Costa Rica. They took off at eight local. Sorry."

Lyssa sighed, "he's secondary anyway. Benecio is the primary. What's his status."

"Set up to go down guns blazing more than likely. Still on location at the hardsite. Nothing planned that we know of other than wait for word on the witness' location to order in his hit team," Kimberly stated.

"Anything of note," Lyssa asked.

Kimberly nodded had turned grim, "word is he's also using. Coke. Lyssa don't play around with this guy. We both know coked up assholes are harder to put down. Also there is surveillance on the house. visual and phone taps. Three hard-lines and four cellphones are currently being monitored. The cops didn't get Luis because he's been changing cellphones on a regular basis. They don't have the talent or equipment to infiltrate his computer and won't go to the Feds for help because they want the collar bad. Word is that Benecio may have killed two under-covers."

Lyssa sat back in the chair, "ok. I want to do a quick in-and-out anyway."

"That's good," Kimberly said.

"Don't worry Kim. We're not even going to leave a footprint in the sand. How's our guest," Lyssa asked.

Kimberly tilted her head, "oh he's charming. Mindy's really taken to him and the girls are fascinated. Maria thinks he's 'a delightful throwback'. He's enjoying every second here. Something strange though. Any time Mindy starts getting some distance from him Warlock tries to herd her back. Its like he knows that Daymoon is important to her."

"And the twins," Lyssa asked.

Kimberly shook her head, "know mommy's not home. They're cranky."

Lyssa nodded, "we'll be back tomorrow."

Kimberly nodded and closed the conference. Lyssa went back to work. She finished her planning then went to lay down with Rodrick. At seven they woke up and called down for room service. They went over the plan and adjusted it while they ate then went back to sleep. They woke up at midnight then got ready to leave and checked out just before one in the morning. Rodrick had rented a car at the airport so they were able to drive themselves. Fortunately there was a nightclub close to the storage place rented by Luis Caldera under a fake name. Rodrick parked in the lot and they carried their duffles. It took only ten minutes to gain access to the sewer. Quickly they changed. Rodrick into basic black BDUs and jungle boots with a new generation SEAL tactical vest. Lyssa changed into her form-fitted battlesuit and weapons' rig. Their facial camo went on next and pulled on gloves then set nightvision goggles on the heads and moved out.

Slowly they made their way down the pipe large enough to walk upright until they saw three infra-red beams crossing it and several feet further on another set of beams. The goggles revealed the beams perfectly and were able to be avoided. Unfortunately they had to slide the goggles up and use a flashlight to find the hidden door. Carefully they opened it, checking for any other detection devices. There was a pressure switch, similar to the kind for turning on the light in a refrigerator. A knife blade held the post down while the door was opened fully. Rodrick disabled it and they lowered the goggles and went in. Every ten yards along the tunnel they saw a single beam. Lyssa backed Rodrick off.

"What is it," Rodrick asked in a whisper.

Lyssa whispered back, "I don't like it. Looks too simple. Why go to the trouble of hiding all this so good and leave it wide open like this?"

Rodrick thought about it then asked, "anti-personnel?"

"I would," Lyssa replied, "keep me out of the beams."

"No sweat," Rodrick said and slid the goggles back down.

Lyssa used the Fairbarne-Sikes knife and a flashlight to work forward. It didn't take long for Lyssa's intuition to pay off. An improvised pressure plate was discovered between a set of beams. It was rigged to a molotov cocktail. Several yards further another that was rigged to a makeshift claymore, an open-end pipe bomb stuffed with nails. After that it was clear until they got to the spiral steps. They were metal.

Rodrick tapped her shoulder, "electrified."

Lyssa slithered underneath and found a switch in the on position. The wires from it were running to the stairs itself. Rodrick pulled her back then simply spit on the bottom tread. Nothing happened. He dropped his dive knife next. Nothing. He collected his knife and Lyssa led the way up. At the top they saw another refrigerator switch device. Rodrick disabled it and carefully opened the door.

A darkened study greeted them. Slowly they edged into the room and looked around. Rodrick went to the outer door and listened. Lyssa searched the desk. She then went over and whispered to him.

"This is the older brother's study. Nothing important here except a post it with a safe combination on it. Says its Benecio's," Lyssa whispered.

Rodrick nodded, "sounds like the bulk of the noise is downstairs, but I do hear something down the hall."

Lyssa held up a pistol, "this was in a holster under the middle drawer."

"Works for me," Rodrick said and slowly opened the door.

He looked down the hall then angled around to check the other direction. It was empty. Lyssa picked up a small rug and set it by the bookcase door. Rodrick edged out into the hall and Lyssa followed. They moved down the hall working opposite sides until Lyssa waved and hand signaled 'enemy detected'. Rodrick joined her and they cracked the door open and looked inside. The room was dim inside but Lyssa could see Benecio sitting naked on the bed.

"Hurry up bitch or you don't get none," Benecio called out.

A woman's voice called back, "I'm just gonna rinse off. Don't snort it all!"

From her vantage point Lyssa could see a woman enter a shower stall with water already running. Benecio stood up and looked into the ensuite and flipped her off. Lyssa and Rodrick bolted into the room. Rodrick grabbed him from behind, clamped a hand over his mouth and dragged him back to the edge of the bed. Lyssa jammed the barrel of the pistol under his chin and pulled the trigger. Brain matter and blood erupted from his head to splatter the ceiling. Rodrick let him fall back on the bed then went over to the large safe to the side. Lyssa rubbed the back of her gloved hand to Benecio's. The woman in the bathroom heard nothing as she was washing her hair and the report had been muffled somewhat. Rodrick tried the numbers on the paper and the safe unlocked. He looked in the bag at the bottom and pulled it out. He made the 'money' sign to Lyssa. Lyssa placed the gun in Benecio's hand. Rodrick tossed her a kilo of the cocaine and she used Benecio's left hand to gouge a hole in it with his finger then poured some onto the dresser next to a mirror that already had four lines on it. There had been more but Benecio had just snorted some.

Rodrick took dvd's and other electronics out of the safe and stuck them in the beside table with the drawer slightly open then took the phone off the hook and dialed nine-one-one. Lyssa signaled for them to extract. he followed her out and back down the hall. Just as the bookcase door was closing they heard a woman scream. They quietly went back down the stairs, switched on the electricity and went back down the tunnel dragging the rug behind them. Rodrick was tempted to leave the rug discarded in the sewer but Lyssa shook her head. They held onto it all the way back to the storage location. After cleaning up and changing back into civilian clothes they tossed the rug into a dumpster going back to the rental car. An hour later the Gulfstream took off winging its way east.

 

~o~O~o~

 

Sam RedCloud answered the phone and grumbled out, "yeah?"

"Benecio Caldera is dead and Luis is in the wind," a voice said.

"WHAT," Sam yelled.

"Nine-one-one got a call and they think the phone was left off the hook. A few minutes later a woman screamed. After that several men could be heard demanding to know what happened. The surveillance team went in since they had probable and found them all in the room arguing at what happened," the voice informed him.

Sam was already up and moving, "I'm getting dressed now. Be there in fifteen minutes."

Almost twenty minutes later he walked into the bedroom and looked around. Four crime scene techs were working.

A Detective walked over, "sorry to wake up Sam but you had to see this."

Sam waved him off, "its ok Frank. What's what?"

"Well its like this. The girlfriend says she and Benecio were partying and were about to pick up where they left off. She goes to take a jump shower and when she comes back; Benecio's splayed to the four points. She screams and the boys come up. they start grillin' her thinking she did it. the team came in about then and everybody shut up except the girl. She's hysterical. She confessing to everything she ever did in her life," Frank informed him.

Sam rolled his eyes, "well make sure you get it down if she confesses to Kennedy and Hoffa."

Frank laughed, "yeah I'll do that."

Another Detective called out, "Sam you you gotta see this. We got video here of Benecio raping several women."

Sam went over and looked at the laptop and the video on it. The woman looked familiar. The Detective shifted to another segment and another woman that looked familiar was suffering the same treatment.

"Make sure you run them through Missing Persons," Sam said.

He went over to a tech and asked, "what do you have?"

"This has a lot of marks of suicide or staged suicide," the tech informed him.

Sam looked down at the body then asked, "test for GSR?"

The tech nodded, "yeah. Its there but strange."

"What do you mean," Sam asked.

"Its there. Its where its supposed to be but I dunno. Something feels off about it," the tech replied.

"Gun's registered to Luis," Frank said, "I just put out a B.O.L.O. on him."

"Hey he may be trying to drive out of town," an officer said coming into the room.

He held up a paper, "I found a registration to a mercedes in another name in his desk. There's an empty holster attached to the underside of the middle drawer."

"See if this gun fits it and update the B.O.L.O. to include that car," Sam said.

A technician opened the safe. Inside they saw two kilos of cocaine, a pistol and a few other things.

Sam shook his head, "christmas came early. We won't be needing our witness anymore now that Bene bit the bullet."

He took out his phone and called the protective detail. She would be clear to go home in twenty-four hours to insure any would-be assassins heard the contract was no good anymore.

 



 

Chapter 4

Mindy sat on a towel on the beach watching the waves roll in. It was late afternoon.

"You've finished lessons for the day little Fawn," Thomas Daymoon asked.

Mindy smiled, "all done."

He could tell she was antsy about something.

"What is it that has you so excited," Daymoon asked.

Mindy pointed out to the cove, "Uncle Carl says there's a pod of dolphins in the area. He saw them and they might come into the cove again."

Daymoon looked out to the water, "they don't stay in these waters?"

Mindy shook her head, "They probably don't like the noise. They have really good hearing. That's how they get around in the water. They make a noise and the sound bounces back to them. Like a bat does only in the water. The planes and helicopters make a lot of noise."

"I see. Fawn what is that in the water," Daymoon asked pointing further out.

Mindy looked and saw a curved dorsal fin, "that's a fin. Its curved! That's a dolphin!"

Moments later three more broke the surface and soon after the pod began to play. They jumped in high arcs out of the water and splashed spectacularly. Mindy clapped and smiled watching them. For several minutes they enjoyed the wild entertainment. Then the pod swam back out into deeper waters.

"That was amazing," Mindy exclaimed.

Daymoon agreed, "yes. This will be a good story to tell. Dolphins?"

Mindy looked up, "yes sir. What's the name for them in your language?"

Daymoon shook his head, "we don't have a special name for them."

Mindy looked puzzled at that, "you don't?"

"The Lakota are a plains tribe. There's no ocean there," Lyssa said from behind them.

"Hello Kimimela. You've awoken and seen to your babies," Daymoon asked.

Lyssa nodded, "I see our Melinda has been sharing all she knows."

Daymoon chuckled, "knowledge is a treasure to be shared Kimimela."

Lyssa nodded, "that it is."

"I wish I could swim with them," Mindy said.

Daymoon looked over at her, "they seemed friendly."

Mindy shrugged, "sometimes they are but I'm small so they might get rough with me Uncle Carl said. Aunt Lyssa?"

Mindy turned to look but Lyssa was gone.

"She went back," Daymoon said.

Mindy shook her head, "aunt Lyssa moves quiet."

Daymoon chuckled, "that is not surprising of Kimimela."

Mindy looked up, "you keep calling her that name. What does it mean?"

"Kimimela is Butterfly. That is her totem and spirit guide. Butterfly is the bringer of change. Some time ago Kimimela came to our tribe. She brought with her a scholarship for Jessie TwoHawks to go to California. In the college there Jessie learns many form of dance and shares our traditional dances with the scholars there. This was a great chance for sharing. Change. For this great opportunity she was given a name among our tribe; Kimimela. You uncle was also given a name. Wambli-Mni. Water Eagle," Daymoon informed her.

Mindy nodded, "because Uncle Rodrick was a Navy SEAL."

Daymoon smiled, "yes. He is a warrior that is in the sky and the water. His totem is the eagle."

Mindy thought about that then asked, "do I have a totem? A spirit guide?"

"All children are fawns. They are fawns until their totems and spirit guides find them. Sometimes it takes a while for that to happen," Daymoon said.

"Aren't they the same," Mindy asked.

He shook his head, "not always. Jessie TwoHawks is like that. Her totem is Horse but her spirit guide is Doe. Horse is very strong and Doe is very graceful."

"What if something happened to a person? What if they got hurt really bad? what if they're not who or what they used to be," Mindy asked.

Daymoon shook his head, " that would not matter. The Great Spirit doesn't pay that any mind Fawn. When a person is ready the Great Spirit will call the person, their totem and spirit guide together. If their medicine is very strong when the Great Spirit has them come into this world their totem and guide are with them. Others must wait until they are ready."

"Why do they have to wait," Mindy asked.

"Sometimes their path is unclear. More than one path lay before them and they can't choose easily. The Great Spirit can show you the ways but only you can walk them Fawn. You have many paths open to you but you stand at the beginning. Only you can choose which way you will go," Daymoon said.

Mindy felt tears welling in her eyes, "but I'm not who I was. I can't be that anymore."

Daymoon reached into his back pocket and pulled out a clutch of twigs then a match and scratched it with his thumbnail. He lit the small bundle of twigs and let them burn for a moment then blew out the flames. Smoke started to curl away and he waved it toward Mindy. The smoke drifted around her and she felt like someone had draped a warm blanket over her.

"They took me away. Hurt me so bad. I'm not who I was. I can't be that anymore," Mindy started crying.

Each tear that fell away felt like something horrible, like a poison, coming out of her. Each sob felt like weight being taken off.

"You are surrounded by family that love you. A strong family. Family who would give anything to make sure you are well. The Great Spirit has given you them. Given you something for what was taken away. Perhaps better than what you had. You think that your life has ended. That is not true Fawn. You have been given a new beginning. A life that can truly be your own. A path you will choose for yourself, not one chosen by someone else. For whatever hurt you have suffered; the Great Spirit has given you love and protection. Will you not accept those gifts," Daymoon asked.

Mindy slowly sank onto the towel she had been sitting. Thomas Daymoon began to chant as the sun slowly went below the horizon. LoneStar and Kimberly had quietly walked up behind them. They had heard most of the conversation. When Thomas Daymoon went silent LoneStar eased forward and gently lifted Mindy up. Kimberly picked up the towel and shook the sand from it. Tears were rolling down her own cheek.

"The great battle is coming FireFly. Fawn will go to DreamWorld soon," Thomas Daymoon said.

Kimberly nodded and followed LoneStar carrying their daughter home.

 

~o~O~o~

 

Krystel stepped outside the hangar and stretched. It was going on eleven at night. She'd spent over six hours deep in the ICE of an small array belonging to Libya. She'd found dossiers on agents assigned to the west; the U.S. and Canada. Krystel slipped the files into various agencies databases of known agents. It gave her a small sense of satisfaction. She looked around and could see very well. The full moon had bathed the island in gentle light and glimmered over the water in the cove. She walked down to the water's edge. The whim to go for a moonlight swim hit her and it was irresistible.

Quickly Krystel slipped out of her dress, lingerie and dropped her shoes then ran into the oncoming surf and dove over a wave. The water felt invigorating as she swam. diving down and kicking hard to break the surface. Suddenly she felt a bump then heard a clicking sound beside her. Krystel surfaced quickly and realized the pod of dolphins had come into the cove again. The curious dolphins were investigating her, thinking she was playing as they do. They were quick to join her game. Just to see what they would do Krystel reached out and took hold of one's dorsal fin. It made an arcing surface then dove down. Krystel felt it begining to work its fluke tail and build up energy then broke surface again. In the air she sailed high out of the water and dove back in. Underwater the mammal clicked and squealed in delight and encouraged her to hold on again. Krystel did so. After two more jumps the others of the pod joined in, rivaling to challenge as to which could send her higher and farther. After Krystel broke surface the one that had launched her would rear back and chatter to her.

Krystel laughed and splashed then rejoined them in the game. Finally two swam up and let her grab each one's fin. They raced toward the beach. As the surf began to froth they broke surface and split apart. Krystel was able to ride a wave in at a faster speed. She stood up in the knee deep water laughing. The two that had sent her in chattered back to her then dove away. For a couple of minutes longer she could see them jumping into spectacular flips and twists as they went into deeper water then were gone. Krystel turned to wade ashore and stopped. Thomas Daymoon was sitting by a small fire on the beach.

'what is he doing,' Krystel wondered to herself and went inland.

Krystel knelt down opposite the old Lakota humming to himself.

Without opening his eyes he smiled and asked, "your friends are quite amazing MoonWater."

"I've never heard of wild dolphins playing with humans like that before," Krystel smiled.

"A gift from the Great Spirit. Perhaps as a reward for all the efforts you make in your war against evil. Or a reminder that one should take time for one's self," Daymoon smiled.

Krystel shook her head, "I wouldn't know about that. Better that I don't pretend to either."

Daymoon nodded, "wise. You are as clever as your friends swimming out there MoonWater."

"Is something wrong? Is something keeping you awake DayMoon," Krystel asked.

"Fawn is about to enter DreamWorld. The battle will soon begin. Many will be needed," DayMoon told her.

Krystel frowned, "I get the feeling this is something I've never done before. Perhaps Lyssa would probably know more."

"Kimimela is waiting already," Daymoon smiled.

Krystel felt uneasy. The old Lakota was talking about a form of warfare most people scoffed at. Lyssa herself had mentioned it in passing during their training. They had all been trained in psychological warfare but this was something else. From what was being implied it sounded like psionic and metaphysics. Lyssa had eluded to them before during their training. Even implying that the classified unit she had been on may have even had that capability, hinting at possible telepathic means. Well actually she was more like warning than hinting, including a picture and name of a man that should be avoided at all costs.

"Come MoonWater. Your friends have returned. Join them as you did before and they will show you the way," Daymoon said then began a low song-like chant.

Krystel looked out to the water. The four dolphins called out then dove and began to jump as a group. She visualized reached out and grabbing onto a fin and be pulled along. They dove deep then streaked for the surface and threw her higher than ever before. Suddenly everything fell away and she found herself swimming in a long stretching pool of water spanned by a simple bridge in an open field.

 

~o~O~o~

 

Mindy looked around. She was standing at the end of a trail with a forest behind her, an open field in front of her and in the distance high cliffs with a narrow opening. She felt pulled to go there. She WANTED to go there. Mindy started walking forward. It was a bright pretty day. A breeze gently rippled the high grass. Mindy felt the urge to hop and skip and gave to it. Soon she was smiling as she went along. That smile all but shattered when she heard a growl. Mindy looked and saw a large Coyote snarling and felt fear. Somehow she knew the Coyote was bad and would take her to a dark place of pain and deep fear.

Mindy shook her head, "no. NO! I WON'T GO!"

Mindy bolted, running now for those high cliffs. She would be safe if she went there! She would have to cross a bridge she could see to get there. Suddenly she stopped. The Coyote had snapped its jaws onto her skirt and dragged her to a stop. Another one was running to help it.

"NO," Mindy shouted and lunged forward trying to break free.

There was a splashing sound and Mindy saw an Eagle burst from the water and dive at the Coyote. It shrieked and attacked it with its talons, scratching and slashing. The Coyote let go in yelps of pain as blood spurted from the deep wounds. A Butterfly fluttered past her and the other Coyote tumbled to a stop snarling at it then howled and began to quiver like it was in pain and slowly lay down and not move anymore. Mindy turned and ran again. More Coyotes were coming. A grey Dove streaked down and attacked one fighting it off. A pale Moth stopped the other Coyote as its edged back snarling in anger. Mindy was backing away but had to stop as another Coyote had circled around to cut her off. A powerful Dog bounded into view and it lifted its head to howl but instead it sounded like a pipe or flute sound came out. the Coyote shook its head in confusion or pain then laid down and began to twitch.

Mindy seized the chance and began to run again. She could heard the howls of anger from more as she reached the bridge and began to cross. One grabbed her skirt again and sat down to stop her. From the side a Dolphin leapt out of the water. It slammed into the Coyote and knocked it into the water. Mindy ran again. Almost to the end of the bridge another of the Coyotes closed in.

She shook her head crying and screamed, "STOP TAKING ME AWAY! I DON'T WANT TO GO THERE! LEAVE ME ALONE!"

A small light flared in front of her and Mindy ducked. A bolt of lightning went from a small flying bug and hit the Coyote. Mindy scrambled to the end of the bridge just as another Coyote jumped to pounce on her. It fell short and a beam of dark light shined down on it. Mindy looked up and saw what looked like a single Star fall from the sky. The Coyote shrieked and spasm on the ground as the Star stopped above it. Slowly the Coyote began to burn away. Mindy was still crying and struggled to the opening in the cliffs and finally stumbled inside.

"Welcome child. You have been missed," a voice greeted her.

Mindy looked around. The voice came from everywhere and nowhere all at the same time. Suddenly she didn't feel tired. The bumps and scrapes didn't hurt. when she looked down her clothes looked clean and untorn. Mindy went deeper and found herself walking into what looked like a field and garden. At one spot she could see men and women playing soccer. On a patio she could see well dressed ladies having tea. Another spot were boys and girls practicing ballet moves and others were drawing pictures. Everyone turned to look at her then smiled and waved hello. She looked to see if anyone was behind her and when she turned back several animals were looking at her.

Mindy looked at them then asked, "will you help me?"

A Wolf approached her and she heard its words in her head, "I am Wolf. I will come to you when you need me most Child. I will show you how to get to the places you want to go."

Wolf came close and nudged her from behind. Mindy stepped forward and saw a large black cat sitting and flicking its tail.

Its big blue eyes looked into hers and she heard, "I am Jaguar. When you need me I will give you the strength to fight for those who can not."

The other animals moved back as Wolf and Black Jaguar brought her forward. Mindy played soccer then joined the ladies for tea. After trying to draw the children practicing ballet she joined them. She was having a lot of fun. That's when she noticed them. All the ones from before at the edge of a nearby pool. The Eagle, Butterfly, Dove, Moth, Dog all were at the edge. Dolphin had reared up in the water. FireFly flickered its light and the single Dark Star was above them all shining. Then she heard a beeping. The beeping grew louder and she felt tired and blinked.

"Good morning honey," Kimberly said and turned off the alarm clock.

Mindy looked around and rubbed her eyes. When did she sleep?

"Are you ok? You look a little confused," Kimberly said.

Mindy didn't say anything just sat there puzzled. She didn't know if what happened was a dream or real? It felt real but also like she had been dreaming.

"This is interesting," Kimberly remarked looking at a dream-catcher over Mindy's bed. She looked closer and realized the threads in the center of the hoop weren't really threads, they were hairs. Different color hairs.

"Mr. Daymoon helped me make it," Mindy said.

"These aren't threads. Are they," Kimberly asked.

Mindy shook her head then looked sheepish, "its hairs from everybody. I kinda took them from their brushes and combs."

Kimberly looked at it then chuckled, "well I guess that's ok. You didn't go around snatching hair out of their heads. They might not have appreciated that."

Mindy giggled, to do that definitely wouldn't have gone over well.

She went and took a quick shower and got dressed then sat down at the table for breakfast. A while later she heard the GulfStream take off.

"I wonder if Mr. DayMoon will see the dolphins again today," Mindy said.

Kimberly shook her head, "honey he just left. Rodrick and Krystel are dropping him off in Nassau before they go to Costa Rica on an errand. They'll be back late tonight after you've gone to bed."

Mindy looked disappointed, "I didn't get to say goodbye. He's really nice Momma."

Kimberly smiled, "yes he is. He did leave a message for you. He said 'continue to learn well and enjoy life little Wolf.' And he thanks you for all the stories and shells he was given to share back home with the tribe."

Mindy smiled and was quiet for a few minutes then asked, "Momma. Do you think Nonnina Maria and Aunt Lyssa will teach me to dance if I ask nicely?"

"Funny you should ask. Lyssa came by during her morning PT and left a note asking that you come over to drink tea with them. Maybe you could ask then," Kimberly said.

Mindy's jaw dropped.

 

~o~O~o~

 

Luis smiled as Alan went out of the room. He was going down to pick out a bottle of Champagne. They would stay there a couple days then go to Bali. He was sad that his brother was dead, but had no doubt he had been killed by an assassin. He had already been gone long before his gun was used to kill him.

Something cool, round and obviously metal nudged the back of his head.

Luis sighed, "so Benecio wasn't enough."

He turned around to see a blonde haired woman in black with black streaks across her face and a silenced pistol leveled at him.

"See the world and the evil in it," She said and thumbed the hammer back.

Luis closed his eyes and mentally said a prayer.

"I see the world; with less evil in it," Krystel pulled the trigger twice.

The double-tap of ten millimeter hollowpoints exploded his head and lodged in the wall. Luis fell to the floor and a pool of blood began to form. Krystel took out her Fairbarne-Applegate and dug the slugs out of the wall. She searched the room and found cash and Bearer Bonds. She left ten thousand in cash and took everything else then left. Rodrick had already refueled and filed his flightplan and was waiting for her on the tarmac. Thirty minutes later they were flying east.
 
 
 
 
 

Lyssa Kordenay cameos in The Chrysalis Project: Steel Dove- Wings of Fury

 
 
 
Maria, Kasey and Kristine from Jessie Wolf's Embracing Justice series appear with permission. thanks Jess.

*author's note- Native American ritual has not been proven to treat Battle Stress or civilian PTSD. If you want to try it, I have an open mind and say go for it. Real Native American Medicine People will not lie. They will not make a promise they can not keep. Anybody that does will be wanting something. If you do meet with one, please be very respectful of their ways for it is vanishing and unfortunately may one day be only stories in dusty books.

up
475 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

LKM and Chrysalis Project

Alecia Snowfall's picture

This will be the last installment of The Lyssa Kordenay Missions/ Chrysalis Project for this year. The next installment will be sometime in January.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

I don't know

dawnfyre's picture

3 weeks without LKM, maybe we will survive.

3 weeks with no Frills as well and we wouldn't be able to handle it.


Stupidity is a capital offense. A summary not indictable.

Wolf and Jaguar

two strong, powerful and wise animals.

DogSig.png

O.I.C.A. and Christmas Break!

It's nice to see Mindy is starting her healing process with the help of an old friend of Lyssa and Rodrick's. As she has found her spirit guides and knows they're there for her in the spirit world as well as the totems of many of her teachers and family on Ram Rock's Island. Sounds like everyone is going to have a Christmas Break this year, here is to it being a quiet Holiday season for the O.I.C.A. and it's team members. Kudos on a new chapter in the lives of the island's residents and their friends.

very nice

indeed it was great to see Mindy getting some closure in a way and to be able to speak with Lyssa despite and admitting she is scared of her. Fantastic Chapter and a Cpl of small story lines all in together to make a nice closing to the chapter with nothing being left in the wind. And how Lyssa talks with Mindy showing the mission and what actually happened to show that they all love Her and want the best , I think that Mindy is going to be another success from a bad beginning not just for her self but for everyone .

Matt

Snowfall,

Snowfall,
Thank you for an most excellent manner in which you ended this portion of the series. As I am part Native American of two Nations, I always find any mention of their customs and beliefs to be very, very interesting.
I wish you and yours a wonderful and very Happy Christmas and an exceedingly Happy New Year.
Janice Lynn

Dang it!

wolfjess7's picture

I didn't get the first posting! (pouts lower lip) Still as always another great chapter Snowfall. Love how you showed the Native American infulances. Like a lot of those from my homeland I have very little knowledge of the Native Americans. To me they are a lot like the Romani of my Homeland.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

now now you two

we got you both to turn red lets leve it at that ( :() )

Thank you for the heads up and ...

Thank you for the heads up and you did close out the year with an overall wonderfully sweet chapter.

A very good question Mindy......

D. Eden's picture

Who will teach us how to fight in our dreams? I have learned on my own little sister, out of necessity. We all have demons we have to deal with, some of us more than others, and we each have to learn how best to do that.

A wonderful chapter Hon, and yeah, you were right - you had me crying.

My Great Grandmother on my Father's side was a full blooded Cherokee, and although I never met her, it was said that she was a healer. My Grandfather's sister, my Great Aunt, had visions - visions which I know for a fact were accurate as several times her visions were of me and were so true as to be scary. To the best of my knowledge there was no one who inherited the propensity in my father's generation - but then they were all boys and apparently it is passed down through the women of the family.

Strangely enough, one of my Great Aunt's visions regarding me was during my teen years. She told me that I would become a strong, yet reluctant warrior - and she also told me I would see things that others didn't. She told me not to be afraid of my talent, but to embrace it and let it flow through me.

She was right. I was very good at what I did in the service; perhaps too good. And I hated every minute of combat; every life I took, and every life I lost. They each took a little part of me with them. I stayed strong for my troops, and I did my job better than anyone else in theater - perhaps better than anyone period. And I died a little more every time we came out of the field. Those demons still pay me periodic visits when the lights go out at night.

And yes, I did see things others didn't. I have a propensity for spotting traps and troops laying in hiding. Perhaps it's just that I notice details others miss, but on numerous ocassions I simply knew where the Muj were waiting for us. I knocked down an entire apartment complex once with 5" naval gunfire - simply because I had a feeling. The light Colonel in charge of the infantry unit we were supporting freaked out on me, screaming about collateral damage - until the survivors of an ambush managed to claw their way out of the rubble and tried to hit the infantry platoon moving into that sector. When the reports came over the radio net, he just stared at me.

When he asked me how I knew they were there, I couldn't tell him. I hadn't even laid eyes on the buildings, yet I knew where they were and that I needed to take them down. Somethings simply don't bear explanation.

Funny how the talents only travel through the female line......

Maybe my Great Aunt knew me better than anyone else.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Honestly with all due respect to our heroes

I would consider it far more of a win if Mindy never has to do the stuff of her extended family does.

Mindy is a complex character and I am rooting for her to be her own person and frankly, starting out as male, and not trans, I think it is reasonable she winds up lesbian.

Maybe...

... Mindy could do Madison's job or be like Rodrick and be a pilot. Only Mindy will be able to decide what she wants to be. Personally, I hope she gets to meet Thomas again and help a member of his tribe that needs help with a problem. Who knows she could become a medicine woman on Ram Rock's Island? What do you think Snowfall, possibly?

nice use of old characters

I forgot all about Thomas and his interaction with Roderick and Lyssa. It's good go see an older yet friendly character return.

I am glad you solved the Mindy psychological situation, it was a perfect way of doing it too. Thomas is a good character and to have him just be himself while having Mindy open up to him by being herself in turn repaying Lyssa for the favor is pure genius.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

A wonderful chapter

gillian1968's picture

I especially enjoyed this one.

Thanks for visiting Albuquerque, Lyssa!

Gillian Cairns

Thanks Snowfall.

It is hard for me to believe in spiritual dreams and paranormal things until I can experience it myself I think. Your story is somehow vivid enough to make it feels like real yet magical. Thanks again for the great story.

This great love it you are so

This great love it you are so good at this. I love yours stories keep on going you are great.Very good more please. Merry christmass and a happy new year to you my dear

Two more down

Jamie Lee's picture

Two more bad guys discovered the error of their ways. It's for sure they won't be missed.

Daymoon was not only a help to Mindy but the witness as well. His help to Mindy was both gentle and caring. Something she desperately needed.

I do hope Lyssa and company will return in a new adventure.

Others have feelings too.

Any More?

Will there be any more these great stories?

Steel Dove- Wings of Fury

"Lyssa Kordenay cameos in The Chrysalis Project: Steel Dove- Wings of Fury"

No such story found.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin