Drew's Meltdown - Chapter 16

Printer-friendly version

So, here it is. The next chapter in my ongoing saga about Gaby.

Better late than never.

I hope you enjoy.

Kate

Chapter 16

Jenny and Dave were sitting in a quiet booth in the back of the restaurant. They had been quietly discussing Gaby’s revelations of that evening as well as their part in what had happened. While they had had the best of intentions, they now realized that they had exacerbated the problem – not maliciously or on purpose, but by a lack of knowledge and from not including Gaby and Jules in the discussions.

“So luv, what do you think? I had no idea she felt the way she did and how much of what I did affected her, and all of you so badly. I have to say I feel like a complete and utter shit right now.

I know, I know – she didn’t say anything to us, and we didn’t ask. But I have to say that right now I feel I’ve failed her as a parent. I feel like I should have seen something, although I wasn’t bloody well around enough was I?”

“Now Jen, if it’s the blame game we’re playing I have more than my fair share to take too. I WAS there and didn’t notice. Well, let’s be brutally honest – what we did notice we thought was our child doing some self-exploration and we didn’t want to stifle that by being “those parents”. And neither of us had an effing clue what Maddy and Em and Brit were up to.

I guess what I feel worst about is when we made her be Gaby because it was a convenience to us.

But, all that being said, Gaby with that wonderful big heart of hers has forgiven us. And I guess the biggest thing is where we go from here.

And here are my thoughts for what they’re worth. And let me get them all out on the table and then we can talk about them, okay?”

Dave looked at his wife, and she nodded her assent.

“Okay, so I’m going to kind of group them into Immediate, Medium Term and Long Term.”

Dave paused for a moment and took a sip of tea while he gathered his thoughts.

“So, in the immediate column we have

- Maddy and Carol. I have never seen Gaby, or Drew for that matter, ever lose her temper like that
- Her race this weekend in Atlanta. I think it’s all she’s been holding on with here in Grottoes.

- Her surgery. As the doctors said, we have some time but not more than a month. And with that comes the whole issue of her privacy in this, this would hit the rags in a minute at home and none of us want that for her.

And in the Medium column we have

- School, and the discussions that will have to happen with the Head, as well as the reactions of the rest of the kids when and if Gaby returns to school there

- Her racing. What that may mean to the British Developmental Squad and just racing in general. Granted we have the DNA test results and can just tell them she wanted to compete against the boys but now realizes that long term that won’t be possible. And I think we can enlist Caro’s help there.

And long term we have to decide if we want to stay in Warsop or if we move and make a clean start elsewhere. And this is where we need to talk to Jules as well. It would mean totally uprooting her life too. Like I said earlier hon, I can always find a job elsewhere, but I’ll never find you three anywhere else.”

Jen reached across and gently squeezed her husband’s hand.

“And I know just how lucky I am to have the three of you Dave. And we’ll do what’s best for the four of us, and sod anyone else.

You seem to have summed up the situation quite nicely. Those do appear to be the major issues right now. I know other things will pop up here and there, but you have put it all into perspective.”

Jen was just about to say something else when her mobile phone rang.

“Hello, Jenny Bond here”

“Of course, Dr. Macarthur. We’re in the restaurant at the hotel having a cup of tea. Why don’t you and Dr. Page join us?

Right then, see you in a few minutes”

She looked at Dave.

“If you hadn’t guessed that was Dr. Macarthur, and she and Dr. Page will be coming to join us in a few minutes. She said they had a number of things they wanted to discuss with us.”

“Well dear, why don’t you shift over to this side of the table, we’ll get another pot of tea and maybe a piece of cake, and we can tell the waitress that we’ll be having 2 more people joining us shortly.”

~o~O~o~

“So Jenny, Dave that’s what we’ve found out so far. The situation seems to have been orchestrated by Maddy and Brit overall. Yes, Em had a part in it, but it would appear that Maddy was using Em’s naiveté against her to wind up Gaby even more. In many ways Em has become a victim of Maddy as much as ‘Drew’ did. Not to the same extent of course, but a victim nonetheless. Karen is scheduling a session with her tomorrow and will help her in arranging to see the proper doctors once she gets home”

“Well Maggie, it would appear that we have a lot more to talk about. I know I had talked to you about a joint session with Carol and Maddy in the morning, but I think we may need to meet with you and Karen by ourselves first. Wouldn’t you agree Dave?”

Looking over to her husband, Jenny could see Dave’s face suffused with anger.

Dave’s jaws worked a few times, and when he answered his voice was tight with rage.

“You are telling me that all of this was orchestrated by Maddy and Brit?! And that they, and Em were putting Gaby in danger for shits and giggles?!”

“Not to put too fine a point on it Dave, but that would appear to be the case. And more importantly right now is that we – and by that I mean, you , Jen and Juliette as well as Karen and myself have a chance to talk this out with Gaby before there are any ‘confrontations’. And I am quite sure that Gaby is going to want to say a few things to both of them, but we believe this needs to be done in a manner which is going to minimize the psychological trauma to her.”

“Obviously, given what you have told us about Gaby and Maddy’s encounter earlier this evening, Gaby has started figuring out that Maddy has been manipulating her for some time. And she has figured out that Carol has some sort of reason for wanting to see Gaby as well. Beyond the manipulations of her daughter that is. And I suspect that getting some answers as to why will also become increasingly important to Gaby as time goes on.”

“Truly Dave, Jen. Maggie and I understand your anger. It is real and justifiable. But the important thing to remember here is Gaby’s health. And her ongoing wellbeing. And to be frank, all we are going to be able to deal with in the immediate term is what has happened here in Grottoes. What has gone before, will need to be dealt with on an ongoing basis so that she doesn’t become fixated on that anger and let it rule her life.”

“And, as we have said, it would appear that Em may well be a victim here as well. That Maddy and Britney were using her as a catspaw. Well, Maddy mostly.”

“As you said Jen, I too believe that we should start out our morning having a discussion with the four of you, then have Gaby do her physical testing. That should give her a bit of time to burn off some stress and some anger. Those tests should take about one to two hours. I believe all will go fine with the tests, but we want to be as sure as we can before giving her the okay.

And I suspect that the race in Atlanta is going to take on much greater importance to Gaby after our discussions. I can see where she will be wanting to get on her bike and use it to put some distance between her and the events here in Grottoes. Both mental and physical distance. She has said that on the bike is where she feels the most comfortable and the most free – where she can just be, where there is no Drew and no Gaby, just a rider on a bike. And, obviously it is the one thing that has been allowing her to hold it together while she has been here. I can see where the revelations about her friends will simply intensify that need. This is going to come as a huge betrayal to her, and she will need something familiar to hold on to in the short term. Cycling is the likely candidate for that. It will be something she can focus on, direct her energy to, and give her some time – by herself – to begin to process all of this.

During Gaby’s testing Maggie and I can meet with Maddy and Carol. After lunch, we can bring you all together if all parties agree and if you think it will be helpful.”

“Helpful” Jen snorted. “Yes it would be bloody helpful to know why both Carol and Maddy decided that Drew should be around as little as possible.”

Maggie interrupted with a question.

“Ummm…Carol? How does she fit in besides being Maddy’s mother, and Maddy manipulating her? It sounds as if you know something here that we don’t.”

“Oh, sorry Maggie. We hadn’t gotten around to that part of this evening’s discussion with Gaby yet.”

Quickly, Jen told them about the shopping trip and a couple of other instances where Carol had gotten Drew to be Gaby without the influence of Maddy.

“Oh my” came from Karen. “That could present another interesting dynamic to this whole thing as well. I’m not sure exactly how that fits into everything else at this point. But I take it, from the sound of your voice, you would like some answers to that Jen.”

“Too bloody right I would.”

~o~O~o~

Meanwhile, back at the Peters’ hotel room, an entirely different conversation was going on.

“Okay Maddy, I waited until we were back here in the room, but now I want to know exactly what is going on and what exactly you may have had to do with Drew ending up in the hospital. I have to face your Uncle Dave and Aunt Jenny in the morning and I want some answers young lady!”

“What makes you think I had anything to with that Mum?” Maddy squeaked out. “I haven’t been there and staying with them, how would I know?”

“Madeleine Elizabeth Peters!” thundered her mother, “Enough! I heard everything Drew said to you, and to me! You will tell me, and tell me now how it came to be that Drew was on the girl’s cheerleading team and how only Gaby came here to America! And how Gaby had to always miraculously appear as often as she did!”

“And then, missy, we are going to get on the phone with your father and you can explain it all to him too.”

Maddy shrank under her mother’s steely eyed gaze.

I’m done for now. She’ll know if I lie to her. And even if I tell her I’m in love with Gaby, that’s not gonna matter. Oh God, and if I have to explain it to dad, after he worked to arrange this exchange I’ll be lucky if I ever see the outside of the house again. Shite! What do I tell her? What am I gonna do?!!!

~o~O~o~

Fran and Jessica had just returned from picking up a few things of Fran’s and were sitting down to finish the glasses of wine they had left earlier in the evening.

“You know Jess, before we call it a night I should give Carol Peters a ring and tell her that we are going to need to speak to her and Maddy tomorrow. And that given what we have learned that there may be disciplinary action coming out of all of this.”

“You’re right Fran. If I was Mrs. Peters I wouldn’t want to get ambushed by something like that. I suspect it is going to come as something as a shock to her though.”

“Well, I may as well get it over with, so we can sit and relax and enjoy our glass of wine. Although part of me thinks it should be Hemlock.”

With that Fran rose and grabbed her mobile phone. After dialing the number, she stood waiting for the call to connect.

*ring-ring*

*ring-ring*

*ring-ring*

“Hi Carol, it’s Fran. Fran Cowlishaw. Have you got a minute?”

She turned and gave Jessica a quick nod.

“Excellent. Thank you.”

“The reason I’m calling is that Miss Bell, the AHS advisor and I need to speak to Maddy tomorrow. About a disciplinary issue, I’m afraid; and since you’re here we would like you in attendance as well.”

……….

“Oh really?”

……….

“Yes, of course.”

……….

“Oh, my!”

…………

Fran was holding the phone to her ear and listening intently. Carol continued to speak, and Jessica heard Fran give the occasional “mm-hmmm” and “oh really” here and there, but mostly she was just listening to what Carol had to say.

It was about 20 minutes later when she heard Fran say “thank you, we’ll see you tomorrow” and hang up.

Fran sat down again, took a large sip of her wine and sighed.

“Well, apparently Maddy is expecting the death sentence tomorrow.”

Jessica looked at her quizzically.

“Apparently, Drew and Maddy had a confrontation outside a restaurant earlier this evening. Where Drew made reference to the ‘ENTIRE’ Gaby situation.”

“Oh my!”

“After Carol and Maddy ate and went back to their room, the ‘parental look of death’ came out and Carol demanded an explanation of everything Drew had been talking about. Everything.”

“Ohhhhhh….. and by the length of your conversation, Carol learned some things that she really didn’t want to hear I take it?”

“That’s a very polite way of putting it. And mildly stated, she is completely appalled at her daughter’s behaviour. And she agrees we need to speak tomorrow. I’m just to call her on her mobile tomorrow because the doctors want to speak to Maddy and Carol tomorrow as well. We’ll set up a time after she talks to them.”

“And then, I’m afraid, it will be time to involve the Headmaster.”

~o~O~o~

Morning seemed to roll around far too early for a lot of folks in Grottoes the next morning. There had apparently been quite a few sleepless nights.

For Gaby and her family however, after all the discussions of the prior evening, everyone had had what seemed to be “the best night’s sleep in an age”.

Gaby herself was actually quite anxious to get to the hospital so she could do her tests and find out if she was going to be able to race on the weekend. It was what she had been holding herself together for after all. And she really didn’t want to have to miss it. The rest of her family were also wanting to get an early start at the hospital as well, but for entirely different reasons.

It seemed as Dave, Jen and Jules all had an air of determination surrounding them. Like they were girding themselves for battle. Which in some ways they were. The battle for Gaby’s mental health and the battle for answers.

But there also seemed to be an unspoken agreement amongst all of them this morning too. That they would be just an average English family going out for breakfast and that nothing serious would be discussed until they got to the hospital.

up
162 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

nice to see

I am really like this take on the USA exchange visit and lovely to see another chapter here, I always checking to see if anything shows up. I think it going to be a most interesting time in the hospital and it seems as if Maddy realises what damage she has done but still seems to be above it as if it isn't really important. THnx Kate looking forwards to more.

Matt

drews meltdown

arghhhh, more, more soon please its great that you have continued but we need the next chapter, its like we are all there with jen and dave waiting for answers

That you have maintained the quality and "thread" over...

the long period of time this tale is taking is proof of your devotion to this story.

Bravo.

BTW when that shites and giggles bitch Maddie learns Drew is medically Gaby I hope her heart leaps for joy only to be crushed by Gaby FINALLY saying “NO” to her.

I mean Maddie is a proven CONDITIONAL lover. She only loves her way. She only loved Drew for what she could make of her, and not what HE was.'
'

I realize teens are self-centered but that self-centered is too much and unhealthy.

Aunt Carol is also self-deluded and not worthy of Gaby’s trust or love.

And the school staff are not that much better.

Gaby would be well served to leave Maddie and that Warsop long behind.

Wow! I am a grumpy gus this morning.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Why do I have the feeling my brain has been hacked?

John;

Let's just say this next chapter will be very interesting.

Many of the ideas you have put forward are things I am thinking about. Right now I only have semi-random paragraphs of the chapter, but it is coming along.

Hmmm...I wonder what would happen if Joanie happened to meet Gaby later? **insert evil giggle here**
I mean you sent her to Wales......I'm sure I could find a race where they might cross paths......**cackles insanely**

Sadly, I think many of us see part of ourselves in Gaby. I know and remember that I was one that would have done just about anything to fit in. But in all of our lives, there is that line in the sand. That Rubicon if you will. And when I started writing this it was with that in mind.

It has been my honour and pleasure to write in Maddy's universe and have the support of other authors like PB who is allowing me to crib some of his work. I have always wanted to take a somewhat less rosy view of her situation in my story without totally compromising the character of Gaby. Mainly I guess because, at least in my experience, life is never quite that kind. And it has been difficult to marry the two divergent views - not impossible, just difficult.

Which is part of the reason this story is taking so darned long. Real life has had its challenges over the last couple of years as well.

Anyway, I am still working on it...so now it's your turn to put a new chapter of Timeout up.

Cheers

Kate
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." William Gibson

Progress

Podracer's picture

On Drew's case. (Thank you for the chapter). It's good to feel that a corner has been turned for the poor kid. It would be good to see the miscreants in this disaster see not just punishment for a prankish deception, but see the anguish they have pressed upon an innocent.

"Reach for the sun."

Good to see

Jamie Lee's picture

It's good to see another chapter to Drew's Meltdown, this is a story I enjoy following.

Now that the cats out of the bag, Mandy specifically has a lot to answer for. It will be interesting to see if see tells the truth or tries to play the blame game. And her mother will have to explain her actions as well. Her reasons should be rather interesting.

So far, those only wanting Gaby to be around have been very self centered. Had they thought about Drew's wants he would not be in his current situation. And had he not reached this situation the true nature of everyone would not be reveled.

The next chapter bods to be very interesting.

Others have feelings too.

Maddy indeed has much to answer for

as do a number of others.

You know, the gang, Fran, Mr. Woods, Miss Bell, Deb and Brit.....oy! such a list!

There's more than enough angst and recriminations to go around.

And her family may not be totally off the hook yet either - although things are much better after this episode in the US.

Life will be interesting.

Kate
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." William Gibson

Maddy indeed has much to answer for

as do a number of others.

You know, the gang, Fran, Mr. Woods, Miss Bell, Deb and Brit.....oy! such a list!

There's more than enough angst and recriminations to go around.

And her family may not be totally off the hook yet either - although things are much better after this episode in the US.

Life will be interesting.

Kate
"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." William Gibson

still to forgiving

So after thinking of himself as a boy for 13 years and not realy likeing always having to dress and appear as gabby suddenly after a couple of days everything is allright and he is fine with being a girl does not seem to miss drew at all and neither do his parents. I always understood that the internal idea of yourself was what mattered females born in a male body stay female in their head and have to change their boddies but a male born in a male body has to become female in their minds when their body does but drew has now basicly disapeard still cant wait to see were the story gos

Maybe ...

Maybe the main character could race in Atlanta as Drew? And be shown off in smart rags as Drew?
This would allow Drew's mother to see him race and both Jenny and Dave could show Drew off in public.
This might give the main character closure? Assurance that Drew WAS loved? A demonstration that they have a son and they are proud of him?
Then comes the surgery and Drew becomes history. Drew "dies" happy and Gabby picks up the main character's life, off on a high, going through her first of 500 periods with mom and sis holding her hands and Dave looking upon them benevolently between trips to the kitchen for pain killers.

other choices available

Still the same problem he gos from someone quite happy being drew and being a boy. To being gabby. With virtually no problem. In the main story he has always been to willing to put othets wants before his own needs. And i think this is what has happend here. Its easier for others. Especialy mum and dad if he accepts gabby is who he should always have been. They dont need to feel guilt about the rotton way they treated him his outburst at maddy at least shows he still has some fight in him. Why does he have to chosse all or nothing. Yes he may be phsicly more female than male but why does he have to wear dresses. Did anyone in the hospital or mum and dad even try to provide him with male cloths as a choice. And as to being those parents maybe steping in and making sure their son was happy with the way he was being treated would have stopped it all in its tracks. Why cant he choose to be a boy in a girls body or something inbetween rather what makes others more comfortable or less guilty. Maybe it is time to put himself first

The bias of the site

The answer to your question - why not a boy in a girl's body - is that this is a very MtF site - this is how most of the authors and readers here get their jollies. At least I see it that way.

OR

They relate with the main character and wish they were the one being transformed so they don't have to suffer the daily hell that is trans misogyny.

Trans misogyny is a part of a Trans woman's every day life, it is painful (especially when compounded with dysphoria) and so seeing a main character that is transformed and given the body they want, can be very cathartic both for the writer and the reader.

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Questions?

The answer re M2F or vice versa is quite simple really. "Drew's Meltdown" is a Fanfic of Mabby Bell's Gabiverse (hence the tag) and thus uses the main character's as laid out by Maddy. Also, Drew/Gaby is not M2F, but for the purpose of Kate's story, is an Intersex'd individual*, who is physically becoming more female with the onset of puberty (Drew's 13-14 yrs old). Mentally, it's always been very easy for Drew to 'become' Gaby, so one could argue that the decision has been made by nature.

* The 'history' for this premise was hinted by Maddy herself as a short-lived sub-plot within her canon "Gaby". I expanded this idea as the basis for my 4-book trilogy - collectively titled 'Notes of a Journey' & 'Never My Love', archived here on BC. Kate's also used this same premise with her "Drew's Meltdown". As for the age and other mental/physical characteristics of Drew and the other Warsop characters, I refer you again to Maddy Bell and evolution of her Gaby stories.

PB

thanks for the reply

Yes i know this is a predominantly mtof site but even if drew now learns he/she is intersexed. For most of his life he has beleaved himself to be male and lived happily as one. Yes he can quite easily now after all the pressure to be gabby pass easily as female but that was never his first choice it was forced on him. And now suddenly no more drew only gabby and he still wants to make everyone happy so only shows the minimum frustration and anger with those who have forced him into this position. When will someone come out with the old line"yes yo didn't like it but it was for your own good in the end" did drew get offered the choice at anytime after leaving the hospital to appear male or at least androdgenous no everyone happy to see a recovering gabby and drew is just a fading memory

Gaby or Drew?

Keep in mind, Kate's character of Gaby conforms to that set by Maddy Bell in her writings and whether anyone thinks Drew/Gaby has been forced in any way is not for Kate to decide, nor can she change Drew/Gaby's past history. For the record, those familiar with Maddy's canon since she started the series, will tell you that Gaby has not been forced by any stretch of the imagination. Drew's acceptance of Gaby has been entirely her own.

When I wrote my Trilogy "Notes of a Journey" and Kate first posted her initial chapters of "Drew's Meltdown" (we both took our stories starting in Book 4 of Maddy Bell's canon, so the character was already well established) , Gaby's evolution was more widely known with the entire canon Gaby of Maddy Bell still appearing on her site. Since she's had that problem on her site that's all but dictated a total rebuild, those postings appear to be lost - 'appear' being the operative word. I know that Maddy has published her early works of Gaby, but I hope that she'll find a way to also restore them online for everyone to enjoy - either again or for the first time.

PB

but was not his choice

But if not for maddys constant goading and the apparent aprovel and even compulsion of frends and family this is not the life he would of have chosen even if he had learned later of his gender issues he may still have chosen a more masculine course in line with his life so far. It was only the constant pressure to adapt to their needs that have resulted in the present feminine persona were even wearing his old boy cloths is not an optiom