Mercy Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version

Mercy Chapter 5

Once Faith got outside the testing building, she found Talia waiting for her.

“All taken care of?” Talia asked.

“Yeah, for now. I ... have a lot to learn, though.”

“Well, you are at a school. Come on, you must be hungry. Let’s go eat.”

When they got to the cafeteria, Talia noticed a white-haired girl waving at them.

“Oh, look!” She said to Faith, “I wanted you to introduce you to Arwen anyway.”

The two girls came over to the table, and Talia said, “Faith, this is Arwen. She was the one who had the vision of you being in trouble.”

Faith tentatively took the girl’s hand. “I’m really glad to meet you. Forgive me for asking, but can you maybe tell me what it was you saw?”

“Well, I saw you, and your change, and I saw two shadows coming for you. One was the slave of the other, but if they had found you, they would have ... absorbed you. Turned you into something like them. And everybody else would suffer.”

“Whoa. It must hard, having that kind of power.”

“Sometimes. But sometimes, I’m able to use my power to help, like I did for you. That makes it worthwhile.”

“Well, thank you for helping me.”

“I’m glad I could.”

Faith had other questions, but before she could ask, a student came up to her and said, “Excuse me, are you Faith?” You’re wanted in the magic department.”

“I’ll come with you.” Talia said, and the two girls went to the magic building.

They were met by a young woman who introduced herself as Erica-Jane.

“What’s this about?” Faith asked.

“Come on in, I found some information you might want to hear.” Erica-Jane said.

The two girls followed her, and they made their way to a medium-sized office.

“This is Mrs. Chulkris’ office. She’s dealing with some other students, but since I was the one to discover the info, she said I could share it with you.”

“How did you know about me?” Faith asked.

“When you had your powers tested, a question was raised about your wings, and the kind of magic they are. So they asked me to look into it, since obscure stuff like that is my hobby.”

“So what did you find out?”

“Well, apparently, a long time ago, there was this warrior race with wings, who fought against everybody, even the Old Gods. They managed to make a small kingdom, but soon started fighting each other. Their kingdom vanished, and they disappeared. And according to this old text I found, some came to Earth, disguised themselves as humans, took human spouses, and then they were gone.”

“And you think that’s related to me why?”

“Well, take a look at this picture next to the text.”

Faith looked at the picture. She could certainly see the resemblance, because even though the woman was both scary and beautiful, her wings looked exactly like Faith’s own.

“Whoa.” Faith exclaimed.

“Yeah. I thought you’d want to know.”

“Thanks. If you find anything else out, I’d appreciate hearing it.”

“No problem.” Erica-Jane said.

“Come on, Faith,” Talia said, “We should go get to our beds. Tomorrow will be a busy day.”

“Okay.” Faith said, and the two girls made their way back to Poe.

Once in the dorm room they shared, Talia gave Faith a set of PJ’s to wear.

“I thought these might be easier for you than a nightie, at least till you get a chance to get used to the girl thing.”

“Thank you so much. Do you mind if I ask, why have you done so much for me? I mean, I’m grateful, but you didn’t even know me.”

“Don’t you know? I thought you were the mind reader.”

“I’ve been trying to keep out of people’s heads. Everybody should have some privacy.”

“Good philosophy. As to why I wanted to help, let’s just say that when I needed it, people helped me, so I wanted to pay it forward. Then I got to know you, and I like you.”

“Thank you. I like you too.”

“Glad to hear that. Now, you should wash up, change, and get some sleep.”

Faith made her way to the bathroom, and stopped to examine her reflection.

“Was it only this morning that I saw that face in the mirror for the first time?” She wondered, “So much has happened today, I haven’t had any chance to really think about being a girl.

“I’m so sorry, sweetie” Her mother whispered.

“It’s okay, mom. I just hope things slow down a little so I can get used to it.”

“I hope so too, hon. But at least you’ve already made some friends here. That will help.”

Faith sighed, finished her business in the bathroom, and crawled into her new bed.

The Nest was in flames, but the old woman ignored most of the screams as she flew toward her daughter’s home. Smashing through the door, she grabbed the small girl who has crying beside the broken form of the old woman’s daughter. “It’s too late for us. But it’s not too late for you.” She said to the sobbing girl. “You must hide, survive, and never forget what brought us down. We forgot mercy.”

“Mercy is for the weak. Vengeance is what makes you strong.” A shadow at the door said.

The shadow reached for the little girl. “No matter where you hide I will find you. Then we will see if you’re strong enough to be worthy to survive.”

Faith woke from the nightmare, and tried to calm her heart down. She finally managed to relax, and fell back asleep ...

*****

Meanwhile ...

A growling shadow outside the campus was joined by another shadow, this one shaped like a man with wings.

“Soon, my pet. We will draw her out, and then she will be yours.” He said.

To be continued ....

up
256 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Something the shadow being has forgotten

Is people (humans) tend to come in packs. It is a pretty low person who has no friends, and that does not describe Mercy.

Mercy's friends are a strength

not that the shadow would see it that way ...

Thanks for the comment, Wendy

DogSig.png

Something the two bad guys

Something the two bad guys don't know or understand; Mercy now being a member of Poe House, means she gets attacked, the attacker/s gets massive response from the majority of the "Posies". Not too good for them, considering the various types of powers held by the "Posies".

all for one, one for all?

Same thing holds true for us Big Closeters We sometimes snipe at each other, but if an outsider tries to get a dig in, watch out ...

Thanks for commenting!

DogSig.png

Mercy

Great story! I've been holding off reading other people's Whateley stories, since I'm writing one too, but curiosity got the better of me. I'm glad it did. Everyone needs a little mercy from time to time. Keep it up.

thank you very much!

glad you're enjoying it. I'll try my best to keep making you happy!

DogSig.png

Well to keep me happy you

Well to keep me happy you need to continue with more of Mercy's life and adventures! : )

alissa

I'll do my best

as long as Mercy shares her adventures with me, I'll share em with you!

DogSig.png

Continuity

So Faith goes with Talia to the cafeteria, where they are flagged down by Arwen. That conversation is interrupted by Erica-Jane who has news about Faith's type of magic. After that Talia takes her to Poe and they go to bed.

The 64,000 dollar question is, when does Faith get to eat? It doesn't appear that she has had a bite to eat since that morning, and powers testing uses up a lot of energy.


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

good point!

I cant starve the poor girl, can I?

DogSig.png

Stronger of the two

Jamie Lee's picture

Hate and anger are traits of a weak person, they are self centered. But mercy requires a person to over rule they hate and anger in favor of the need of others. It takes great strength of character to resist taking action because of hate or anger. It takes great courage to give mercy where hate and anger exists.

The shadow and the man with wings might succeed in the short term, but mercy will win in the end.

Others have feelings too.