He Woke Up

Printer-friendly version

The exchange was a set-up. My partner, James, and I with backup from a few other teams were to meet with an anonymous informant to learn where the disappearances were taking place, how they were taking place, and why. We had gotten indications that an ancient spirit from the Eastern Asia area, possibly Korea, possibly Japan, possibly some of the islands between. This is why we were called in, because we have been trained to deal with them. We met at an Asian fusion restaurant and bar with James and I at the table where we were to exchange the information, and the two backup teams at other tables covering the front entrance and entrance from the kitchen.

The people we were to meet were waiting for us, and after some small talk they told us an incredible story. There was a criminal ring who had contracted with an ancient deity of beauty and talent, and they were based in Naha, Okinawa, Japan. What they were doing was creating pop stars, entertainers, and beauty queens in South Korea and Japan by injecting spiritual power from the deity that would overwhelm the person when injecting it into their neck using a special tool. If the person couldn't overcome it with their willpower their eyes would turn black with a green flame in them as a sign of being overcome and locked into a 600 years of being one of many vessels for the deity. First they would obey, then over the next few months be changed into a young vaguely Japanese looking woman who looked around 18-20 years of age.

The thing they all had in common was they were beautiful, and talented in voice, acting, or dancing. By becoming this they would harvest spiritual energy for the deity and would never age and never get sick. The bigger the change, the more spiritual energy would be required for the change, but the connection to the deity would be better, and therefore more energy could be sent back to her. This si why it was either males or older people who were the missing ones.

It sounded like fantasy, but the list of names, details of their disappearances, and the list of up and coming stars matched the story. The deity would gain the power she used to by voluntary changes of people until the western world collided with her people and wiped them out, and the crime ring had set things up to where a portion of all earnings from the victims was sent to them as agents. The victims would act they were who they were billed to be since all memories were locked away, and their own soul was locked into a dream within the vessel they had been changed into, where they believed that all the experiences as a vessel were a dream.

After they turned all of this information over to us more people burst in and both watcher teams were overwhelmed and injected in the neck before they could react. James and I fought as hard as we could, but he was also injected in the neck, and I was injected in the hand as I wrestled the tool away from the criminals. I was able to draw my weapon and put out a call for backup, but it was too late for teams A and B and James was fighting the change with his will as hard as he could, but I could tell he was losing. I could feel some slight changes working in me, but since I was prepared for what happened and sicne I was injected in the hand I brought the possession to a halt.

The criminals siezed the teams and shoved them into waiting vans and took off, while the informants took off in another direction after unsuccessfully trying to take James with them. I was able to get James into our vehicle and tried to give chase, but the physical changes I could feel working up my arm were painful so I couldn't concentrate as I needed to. The criminals got away, but I had their tool so at least the disappearances would stop for a while and we knew what to look for in the future. Of the 6 of us 5 were a total loss to us, but at least we had one who we could use to communicate with the deity.

As time rolled on the agency was able to communicate with the deity through James, or Aoi as she was now called. We were able to set up a voluntary program where these changes could be made and she could harvest energy while the people who did it would retain themselves, but do as she directed in partnership with her. It was too late for anyone who had been transformed before though. She built a personality for Aoi, left her with the skills she needed, and withdrew as payment.

The changes wrought in me due to the failed attempt on me left me still male, but very feminine looking, and also left me with spiritual based powers. Some would almost call them magic or psyonic, but it was due to me getting part of the spiritual energy from those transformed and from the fact that I was able to fight her off and become partially deified, but locked into my new form. I stayed with the agency and watched.

More time passed, and many things were discovered. Humanity finally figured out how to stop the aging process. Humanity had also reached the stars. Humanity was now more than it had been before, but still needed its entertainment.

Aoi woke up every morning ready to sing again. She couldn't believe she had been one of the early ones to receive anti aging treatments so she could keep her fans, the millions, now billions who adored her, happy. She reflected about how every day was a good day to sing and dance for her people.

It had been 600 years to the day, though she didn't know it. She woke up. Then James woke up. He screamed.

up
161 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good start.

Please continue this story.

An interesting little story.

An interesting little story. It could be expanded and even made it's own 'universe' for other authors. Thanks for writing it.

Hugs,
Erin of Wis

Well, it's definitely

Well, it's definitely interesting, but looks more like a good lead in for a longer story than a standalone.

Will there be more, or is this a quick short story/drabble?

BW


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

600 years worth of more stories

600 years worth of more stories could be told I reckon. I like your slightly unusual premise for this story and feel sure that there is scope for more tales. I am intrigued by the research into the injections and the consequences of developing the anti-aging treatment. Is the world after 600 years more predominantly female? What are the social implications?