Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2836

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2836
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

At work the next day I surfed the Guardian website and was horrified to see the government were probably going to cut the funding to support the special wildlife police unit. This is a specialised unit who train police officers to deal with wildlife crime which is a type of crime that is growing rather steeply with thugs and sadists doing things like hare coursing and badger digging/baiting. Poaching and shooting deer was also increasing not to mention the illegal killing of birds of prey on shooting estates.

As it is, few of these are ever properly investigated as the police aren’t really too interested with the increasing burdens upon them and the cuts to funding generally, so those who have a mind to it, usually of the small and perverted sort, seem to get away with the torture and killing of wild animals and birds, destroying sites of special scientific interest and anything else they fancy.

I was really depressed when I read about it, I knew that illegal hunting goes on but the police are more interested in prosecuting the protestors than the hunters who are actually breaking the law. The establishment protects itself and with a sympathetic government who couldn’t run a bath let alone a country, wildlife has no one at the top who is protecting it and as several of them have large grouse moors or other shooting interests. There’s even a lobby group fronted by ex-cricketer Ian Botham who try to undermine charities like the RSPB and their investigation of poisoned raptors and other crimes against birds of prey. Botham has interests in a large country shoot.

“What the matter, boss?” asked Diane when she brought in a cuppa. I showed her the article and she made disgusted noises at the photo of the dead and bloodied hare. “How can people do things like that? It’s not even killing to eat.”

“No, it’s killing for fun—it’s what psychopaths do, or sadists either might get a sexual thrill from it, it’s why fox hunting was so popular with women riders—one long orgasm.”

She looked at me in total incredulity. “I’ve got some typing to do,” and slipped out the door while I was in mid slurp.

I switched off the internet, it was either about cruelty to humans in Syria, shootings in Manchester, people being flooded in Scotland or the north of England or the wildlife story I’d just read and despaired over. The world was going more stupid than ever and the people who had increasingly sophisticated technology had the moral turpitude of the forty thieves. “How can I save the world if no one wants to help or seems to care?” I asked the bookshelf before me, but if it said anything it was too quietly for me to hear it—mind you if I had, I’m not sure what I’d have said or done.

At lunch with Tom I moaned about my dissatisfaction with everything and everyone and he listened patiently. “Ye’re no thae only one wha cares, and ye’re surroonded by decent folk, includin’ yer ain bairns. Ye cannae stop it a’ anyway, but ye can speak oot aboot it whenever ye can and teach yer children whit’s right and wrang. There’ll allus be despicable types wha seem tae prosper at thae expense o’ everything else, all ye can hope is when it comes tae their time to receive it, they’ll be paid back in spades.”

“It never seems to happen to them though, does it? The devil really does seem to look after his own.”

“D’ye really believe that?”

“As I don’t believe in devils, I suppose I don’t. The only evil comes from the hearts of men.”

“Aye an’ women.”

I snorted and he asked me why. I told him about what I said to Diane about women fox hunting just as he sipped his Guinness. It wasn’t a pretty sight as he choked and coughed the stuff everywhere. Once he’d recovered and he gave me a filthy look as if I’d do such a thing on purpose, he then said, “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke.”

“Are you suggesting I’m not doing anything? About the wildlife crime?”

“No, not at all. It’s others wha need tae dae somethin’ a’ ye hae tae dae is tell them aboot it.”

“Ye’re thae communicator, think o’ somethin’.”

“Without implicating the university, I presume?”

“Naturally, but ye shud get roond that, ye’re a clever girl, ye’ll find away tae use yer position withoot embarrassing yer friend thae vice chancellor.”

“Him—I’d love to embarrass but only if it was terminal for him.”

“Watch whit ye’re sayin’ or it cud be terminal for ye.”

“Message received loud and clear. Sorry if I’ve irritated you today, Daddy, but I needed to talk about it, it distresses me that much. The world is a beautiful if dangerous place, full of wondrous things and it seems that those we can’t eat or sell we destroy, never appreciating the value of anything until it’s gone. Extinction is forever, why can’t people see that?”

“They dinnae hae yer interest or compassion, lassie, they’re mair interested in their ain shallow an’ materialist lives. If there’s nothin’ in it f’ them they dinna care.”

I held onto his arm as we walked back to my car and thanked him. He gave a little chuckle. “Sae there’s still a need f’ this auld git, is there?”

“I can’t imagine a world without your wisdom being there.”

“Aye weel mak’ thae most o’ it, it won’t there f’ ever.”

“Don’t say such things, Daddy, it’s unthinkable.”

He stopped and turned to face me taking my hands said, “Look, Cathy, I’m an auld man, my time is limited.”

The figure of ninety four came into my head. “You’ve got twenty years yet.”

“Whit? How can ye tell that?”

“I have my sources,” I smiled.

“Twenty years, eh? I suppose I’d better think aboot a pension then.” He said this dead pan and I nearly collapsed with laughter.

“Whit’s so funny?”

“What you just said about a pension.”

“Aye, I’ll hae tae see aboot it, I’ve been deferring it until noo.”

“Well I’d seriously think about at least claiming your state pension, you must have at least five years eligibility.”

“Oh aye, at least.”

“They won’t thank you for deferring it.” Although I knew they did, they give you a thousand pounds extra for each year of deferment. Mind you I expect they take most of it back in tax.

“Aye, I will.”

We arrived back at the university and I decided to write to all the great and the good who might take up the cause of keeping the wildlife police unit open, including a certain astrophysicist I once met who likes to play guitar and a charming old man who makes documentaries. I copied the Guardian blog and sent it as attachments to several folk asking if they had any ideas to support the unit against government cuts.

I hadn’t done much but I’d done something, so perhaps this time evil won’t triumph.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/08/nationa...

up
222 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Only 74!

littlerocksilver's picture

I thought he was much older from the way he talked. I don't feel that old and I'll be 74 in a few months. I'm beginning to dislike anyone who kills for fun.

Portia

It's not the age...

Julia Miller's picture

It's the mileage that gets you.

Glad to hear Tom and I will both be retired public servants

We call them Game Wardens, or Environmental Police.
"Don't step on my blue suede shoes" Elvis Presley.
Step up Lady Cameron, support your wild life police, they probably need the help.
Through Conservation, and the Endangered Species Act the Florida Manatee is now at levels that will remove them from that list.
One small victory. Next, how to stop the hunting of whales ?
Surprised Ang ?

Cefin

Bike readers go environmentalist

Rhona McCloud's picture

I wonder just how many Bike readers have had their environmental conciences prodded by Angharad as she has related Cathy's tale. I can say there is a corner of Somerset with a few more hazel and other trees this year than I originally planned.

Chin up Angharad. There are days when it doesn't seem likely but that is due to the nature of news media. My experience is that there are growing numbers all over the world making practical efforts to make a better world for nature’s and their own children.

Rhona McCloud

Missed you

I flew out to New Orleans on barely Tuesday, and just got back this Friday. I was so looking forward to catching up on bike but it seems you took a break too. It's understandable. Missed you.

I think this was the last time I will fly. On the return trip from Nola to Denver I came close to renting a car and driving home. If we had flown into Salt Lake City, I would have done for sure. The drive from SLC to Portland is a nice 750 mile drive, two relaxing days in the winter wonderland.

Poor Cathy seemed depressed.

Gwen

I was appointed a Game Warden

I was appointed a Game Warden on two different Air Bases during my 27 yrs tenure in the AF. One at Amarillo AFB, TX and then at Hahn AB, Germany. Did all the same things as the State Game Wardens did, except on a military reservation (that made a federal offense if you got caught)
At Hahn, I met the local German "Forest and Hunting Master" who had control of both the forest lands and the Animals therein.
He came on the base, and I with two other Air Police Officers escorted him around, while he checked against a large map he had brought with him.
Finally, when we got back to the office, he asked our Commander, where were all the trees that were missing, but showed up on his map.
When we all looked at the map, we knew instantly where he was referring to, as it was our Nuclear Storage Area. The trees had been stripped out of that location so weapons "igloos" could be built.
Apparently no-one on the base bothered to get that action cleared by the German Government nor this man, BIG, HUGE NO NO...
Under German law, at the time, and probably still is, if you "injured a tree" or cut a tree down; you WERE REQUIRED to plant TWO in its place or face a tremendous fine. The good old Air Force forked over nearly a million dollars for that one, and still had to plant the replacement trees on another open section of the base.
Later that same year (63), we had to respond to our housing area to find and kill a Wild Boar that was roaming through there. One of our guys was standing in the bed of a pickup as a lookout and the boar attacked the truck and nearly tipped it over on him. It took almost 15 rounds from an M-2 carbine (.30 cal bullet) to kill the boar, and it weighed out over 350 hundred pounds. It had apparently tore open a hole in the fence around the housing area, Boars have some very large and very sharp tusks, and got in. the rest of the herd was seen outside the fence, so a very thorough search of the housing area was made to ensure that we would not have another call.
The German Game Warden who came to get the carcass, checked it over and said it was not full grown, as he had seen some males that weighed out near 5 hundred pounds. That is one big pig.
The meat gets taken to a butcher shop, then cut, wrapped and distributed to nursing homes, prisons, schools and any other place they feel it can be used. That is German law for all hunting kills. The hunter gets to keep the head of the animal that is killed, deer, pig or what ever.

Environmental Conscience?

Christina H's picture

Cathy seems very down and when you look at the way the planet is being decimated it does tend to drag you down.

At the risk of being verbally attacked it seems that very few of us in the 'developed world' have an environmental conscience most drive cars, most watch TV most are carnivores (myself included in all these) most go to the toilet and never give it a thought. I can go on and on. Our countries pump out massive amounts of pollution so 'we' the populace can live as we expect to live in the 21st century.

As Japan has recently decided to hunt whales again - one way to try and force a rethink is to stop buying Japanese products. See if hitting their economy provokes a change - but no this will never happen because where would I get my Japanese electrical equipment and my Prius environmentally friendly car from???? Sod the Whales as long as I have my Prius and my Sony TV!

I feel that 'we' would like to be more environmentally friendly so long as is doesn't interfere with our comfortable power hungry life.

Oh and as far as the illegal killing of animals go make the law such that the fines are so large that the government makes money and confiscate everything the perpetrator owns and make sure they never get government handouts - draconian yes but I would bet it would make some of the morons try and think (assuming they have a brain cell) But that will never happen in the UK because europe wouldn't allow it.

Good grief a cynic at 45! I will now descend from my soap box before someone knocks me off!

Christina

Idealistic stories

I think that most good authors leave a list of unfulfilled goals behind. I once read a book in which no roads or major public works projects were permitted on a new planet. And, it was a good thing to because the planet was alive. Despite what some people view as my own religious fanaticism, I firmly believe in Gaia, and that the whole of the Universe is sentient.

If Cathy knows

that Tom has a good few years left in him, It begs the question... Which i doubt she would ever dare to ask.... Just how long some of her other nearest and dearest will be around for ... Sometimes though its best not knowing your own and families future.Life is complicated enough without finding out when you are likely to see if Cathys theories on life and death are true !

Kirri

It would be interesting

To see if Cathy's message sparks a new eco-movement that goes viral extremely fast.