Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2837

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2837
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

It was Saturday again, good, I needed a lie in, however what I needed and what a certain psychopathic moggie needed was obviously different because One of the girls opened my bedroom door and this frenzied flash of feline fur shot through, bounced off my head onto Simon’s groin and back out the door again before I could work out what happened.

A moment later it happened again and I just had time to pull the duvet over my head before the clomp of cat clogs careered off me and onto Simon’s groin, he immediately sat up swearing and then went off to the bathroom.

“Could you feed her while you’re up, darling?”

“Feed her, I’ll wring her bloody neck if she comes within catching distance.”

She did but he couldn’t lay a finger on her, she’d got up to full speed and gave a good impression of a wall of death rider as she appeared to be running round the walls, knocking things off the dressing table and the bedside cupboards. After the DAB radio alarm went flying I decided I needed to sort the problem myself as Simon’s attempt at intervention only appeared to make her worse.

So at seven o’clock on a Saturday morning I was feeding her and waiting for the kettle to boil. Simon came down yawning, wearing jeans and a pullover—so it really must be the weekend. “There she is, little sod.”

“Without language she has to let us know in other ways that she wants her breakfast.”

“I’d have thought learning to talk took less energy than the blitzkrieg that just happened upstairs.”

“It might but that was her workout for the day, she’ll sleep for hours after eating.” I noticed the tip of her tail quivering as if she could understand what I’d just said and was agreeing. “They do have some form of language.”

“Yeah, bloody meow.”

“That’s an attempt to communicate with humans, they apparently don’t do to other cats.”

“Well if it’s meant to mean something to me, how come it doesn’t?”

I shrugged, “She presumably thinks that’s your problem.”

“She’ll have one of her own in a moment, I’m going to put her out in the rain, see how she communicates then.” So saying he lumbered towards her but before he could bend to grab her she was off, straight through his legs and up the stairs.

“Make some tea, darling, I need a wee.” His grumbles were lost as I relieved myself and washed my hands, when I got back to the kitchen Julie and Phoebe were standing by the toaster waiting for it to char their bread. “Where’s my tea, didn’t you make any?”

“Ask Julie, she nabbed yours.”

“Feed the workers first,” she said and took another gulp of my tea.

“Cheeky sod,” I said switching the kettle back on. All she did was laugh.

“Could you make me one, too, Mummy?” asked Phoebe juggling with her pieces of cremated bread.

“Anybody else?” I asked rhetorically.

“Ooh yes please,” asked Danielle who just seemed to have materialised in her winter nightdress.

“What are you doing up?” I asked her as I poured another cup of tea.

“Away game,” she yawned.

“In all this rain?”

“Fraid so. There’ll be a pitch inspection but if we’re not there and the ref decides it’s playable we forfeit the game and the points.” She poured herself some cereal and took it and the mug of tea to the table.

The two older girls finished their toast, gulped down their drinks and pulling on coats walked towards the door. “You’re going early,” I remarked wondering if they thought the time was later than it actually was.

“Yeah, privilege of owning the business—cleaner’s off sick.”

“Would you like me to do you a sandwich?”

“Nah, we’ll grab one later.”

“I’ve got some shopping to do, I’ll try and drop one in for you.”

“That’s great, thanks, Mum.”

“Yeah thanks,” called Phoebe pulling her hood up over her head.

“Byeee,” they both shouted and the door slammed shut.

“You’ve really got to admire those two, they really get stuck in, don’t they?”

“I do admire both of them, neither is work shy and they seem to be building up quite a profitable business with regular clientele.”

“How many stylists have they got now?” he asked.

“Two I think,” I replied deciding the toast smelt so good I’d have a piece myself.

“Three,” corrected Danni, “Jade comes in most weeks.”

“How come she knows and you don’t?” asked Simon.

“She talks with her sisters more than I have time to.”

“Isn’t that telling you something?”

“If it is why isn’t it also telling you that you spend even less time with them than I do?”

“I’m the big bad bloke who goes off to work to keep my wife and daughters in the luxurious manner to which they’ve become accustomed.”

“Don’t make excuses, I work just as hard as you, dear.”

“Sure you do, I’m practically in the office when you’re getting up and I don’t finish until five most nights sometimes later.”

“It’s not my fault that you can’t work as fast as I do.” I said chuckling and inhaled a crumb of toast which then had me coughing.

Simon laughed, “Serves you right, see even god is on my side.”

“Yeah, well tell your imaginary friend if he does it again I’ll choke him.”

“Isn’t that, like blasphemy—to threaten God?” asked Danielle.

“Just because you go to a convent doesn’t mean you have to believe in fairies,” I replied.

“Oh dear, another one just died,” offered Simon.

“What?” I looked at him as if he was crazy—well he is but I only point it out when it’s to my advantage.

“A fairy.”

“Who is?” I felt my ire rising.

“What Peter Pan said, when you say you don’t believe in fairies another one dies.”

“I don’t.”

“There you just killed another one.”

“So it’s tough being a fairy, does it work for gods too, I wonder?”

“That is definitely blasphemy, Mummy. According to Sister Virginia...”

“According to Sister Vagina, what?” Danni roared with laughter so did Simon.

“What’s so funny—another fairy die?”

“No you called Sister Virginia, Sister Vagina.”

“Oh did I? Well it’s what you lot call her,” if you can’t win an argument by logic try bombast.

“No I didn’t,” Danni blushed.

“No matter, silly old twat,” I said and boiled the kettle for more tea. Danielle picked up my insult and was laughing like a drain, Oddly Simon had missed it. He probably wasn’t listening, he usually doesn’t unless he thinks I’m talking about him.

At this point down the stairs clomped the family equivalent of a SWAT team, Trish, Livvie, Hannah and Meems followed by Cate and Lizzie. What was nice was that Danielle didn’t need to be told to moderate her language in front of her younger sisters, she seemed to do it automatically just like an older girl would. She’s a real puzzle at times.

“Why are you all up?” asked Trish.

“Your flaming moggie, that’s why,” shot back Simon.

“She’s fast asleep on my bed, you sure it was her?”

Well if it was the dog, I’d have concussion now.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
236 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Just finished a lengthy report

littlerocksilver's picture

I needed this - another typical Saturday for the all Great Britain family.

Portia

Tea ? no thanks I've got one. Typical

A moggie? What's a moggie Ang? Nice familty morning.
If a Moggie is a cat. How do they run so fast they blur ?
And change directions so fast, only to be outdone by UFOs?

Cefin

Unfortunately ...

... they also think they can run through bicycle wheels as I both I and my ever-loving know to our ever lasting cost. My dear one has a peculiarly shaped collar bone and I have a damaged spine caused by cats let loose by their keepers.

Robi

If they had opposible thumbs,

The master slave relationship would be a bit more clear to humans. Cats have always understood our symbiosis.

I love the family scenes. It does seem Cathy has a bit of a work / home imbalance. I also suspect the Goddess may have words with Cathy later. Talk about mental compartmentalization. I'm pretty sure Cathy knows the Goddess exists.

10 Stone Malamute

We had a Malamute that was so large my toddler used to ride her.

Thanks for the Warning, Gwen !

My younger Daughter & Family live close to me, and now that their HUGE Pyraneean Mountain Dog, who stood on hind legs taller than me, and whose very long spiral wool used to moult continuously and spiral its way into my clothing, then fasten so it could neither be vacuumed nor washed nor brushed free, and who brought on my asthma if I was ever daft enough to hang about nearby, finally died, it has been possible for me over xmas and new year to visit them as well as have them visit me. Imagine my horror when my Granddaughter informed me yesterday that she had bought a puppy, a Malamute ! I read that this is a breed from Alaska and Northern Canada, used for towing sledges over the snow, in appearance like an Alsatian (aka German Shepherd) crossed with a Wolf, but about 3 x as big as an Alsatian. It needs a lot of exercise too (they never took the previous dog for walks). Well yesterday afternoon I stupidly agreed to go with mother and daughter and dog to a wood on a neighbouring island, to see a grave stone next to a statue of a Bear who lived and died there (it was an escapee from a travelling circus from way back when such things were allowed, and famous for making local peoples' lives so much more exciting as it adapted to living wild like its remote ancestors, as our bears had died out on the Islands a couple of hundred years ago. So we drove in their car to the Wood, the largest one on the island group and about half mature broadleaf trees and half conifers. Recent gales have demolished about a fifth of them, making walks a bit adventurous. The puppy was a lot smaller than I expected, and very pretty. She really did not understand that she was supposed to walk, and only wanted to curl up and sleep. She finally decided that the moss was interesting and started to bite some off and carry about in her mouth. I on the other hand got lots too much exercise, ended up stumbling into the car with my stick, was driven home in the rapidly dwindling daylight, and arrived home in such pain I just had a stiff drink and limped away to my bed.

During the car ride I was told she was a cross between a Malamute and a Husky, so perhaps she will not be quite so huge as I thought when grown up.

Briar

Simon still doesn't realize

Simon still doesn't realize yet that teenagers and young adults just don't tell their parents everything unless they need something. Telling their siblings on the other hand is perfectly normal, telling mummy and daddy isn't.

I am getting annoyed that Simon continuously digs at Cathy having a job. I hope that some dirtbag hasn't been using her having a fulltime job to tease or annoy him, because frankly he should know better by now not to use that card against her in regards to being a mother.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Bloody moggies!!!

My cat's like Houdini. Her Heated bed is in the back utility room and there are two doors betwixt it and the kitchen. Even when I close the doors I find little paw marks on the kitchen work tops and they are NOT mice. I daren't leave the butter out or any carnivor food otherwise it will have been at least 'investigated' if not actually nibbled. Likewise I cannot leave a tea towel folded on the work-top or it becomes her next 'bed'. She thinks she owns the house and is constantly snooping around when I'm home so that she can find the warmest, most comfortable spot, (Usually my lap, - under my lap-top if necessary.)
I'm selling the old homestead cos' it's too big for one grumpy, old sixty-nine-year-old biddy.
Dunno' what she'll do when I get the new place.
Still lovin' it Ang.
x

bev_1.jpg

Feed the bloody moggie at night then

That was our solution. Moggies tend to pester you to get up earlier and earlier to feed em. It is so much easier to ignore them when you are already awake (or not at home) ;).

A Great episode

As long as the cat gets her food, then the day can proceed as usual. A friend of mine gets woken up by her two cats if she tries to have a lie in.

Ah well, that's the joy of being a cats hand maiden.

Great writing as always Ang. Many thanks for keeping your growing number of fans happy.

Love to all

Anne G.

Speaking of Cats

reminded me of an episode when our male cat had chased a squirrel up a tree,in our garden , We both watched as the squirrel turned and started to tell our cat off in no uncertain terms , From being the chaser the situation had very quickly reversed Oscar (our cat) decided that in the face of this very very belligerent squirrel that maybe a dignified retreat was in order, Unfortunately that did not happen, In trying to go backwards he missed his footing and promptly fell out of the tree, Thankfully no damage was caused other than to Oscars pride .... The squirrels led a very peaceful life after that !

Kirri

Moggie

That's one of the words that Edward III refused to let us Rebels have. There is no such word as moggie in the American Standard Dictionary.

Edward III

Angharad's picture

Died in 1327 before Columbus had discovered the Americas.

Angharad

Did 'skogkatts' colonise the americas?

Rhona McCloud's picture

Having seen the Viking settlement at L'Anse aux Meadows in Canada I've never given much credence to Columbus 'discovering' the americas. Of course if those Vikings had a couple of Norwegian forest cats aboard (skogkatts) I can imagine them putting their foot down if someone showed lack of respect by referring to them as 'moggies'.

Rhona McCloud